Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The money goes on an early exit for Corbyn

Comments

• Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

There probably are some undecideds. But it is more likely that a lot of the Conservative Party Membership database are now too dead to vote.
    Maybe people dont like Boris and Hunt, so they are not bothering? Some will have died but I doubt huge numbers will have moved as people dont tend to move as they get older unless they have to move or have no roots in an area. Membership of a local association tends to imply having roots in an area imo.
    About 75% of Labour members voted in the 2016 leadership election, voting was made easy as it could be done either by post or online and there was a real choice between the candidates, unlike in the current Tory leadership contest. And Labour IT is generally considered to be superior to Tory IT, but even so 25% of the database did not respond. So I'd say the Tories will be lucky to achieve a 65% turnout, which if their membership really is 160,000 means there will be around 100,000 votes in total.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,883
    GET IN THERE ENGLAND!!!!!

That is all, back to lurking for the rest of my holiday. Until Sunday.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Is it just me who still finds that comments will not load on the 'normal' website:
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/07/11/the-money-goes-on-an-early-exit-for-corbyn/#vanilla-comments

but will here:
    https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7769/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-the-money-goes-on-an-early-exit-for-corbyn/p4?

I greatly prefer the 'normal' website but it's been out of action for quite a while. If it makes any difference, I use Firefox and Windows 7.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In the debate he said 'in the forthcoming election' he will either call it for September or Grieve, Stewart, Lee etc back the opposition and VONC him anyway.

With a majority after that election he can pass the Withdrawal Agreement he voted for at MV3 minus the temporary Customs Union for GB and ignore the DUP

Is he going to extend article 50 in order to facilitate the election??
    No, it will be held by October 31st.

If he wins a majority we will leave Deal or No Deal then, even a temporary No Deal before the Withdrawal Agreement is passed
    That doesn't work. Once we have left the EU we can't have the Withdrawal Agreement because we become a third party, and treaties between us and the EU require a significantly more tortuous process.
    The Withdrawal Agreement is merely a precursor to FTA talks, nothing more
    It is an agreement which the EU won't agree to.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

The GOPification of the Conservative Party is also evidenced by its extreme partisanship under Cameron, including the attempted gerrymandering around the seat reduction, the explosion of peers, even the denial of the IMF job to Gordon Brown. Again it is the notion that usual niceties of our unwritten constitution do not matter.

How can you write such unmitigated garbage? The 'gerrymandering' was an attempt to bring the electoral boundaries up to date and get rid of the disgraceful anomaly which gives votes in the North East and Wales an absurdly disproportionate number of MPs. The 'explosion' of peers was to correct an historical imbalance, and in any case was hardly anything new, since you are comparing with the 'usual niceties of our unwritten constitution. And as for Gordon Brown: since he was a prize numpty who had trashed the stability of the UK banking system and run the economy into a completely unnecessary debt crisis, I should jolly well hope he'd be blocked from the IMF. If Cameron has blocked Darling from such a role you might have a point, but not about Brown.
    The gerrymandering technique has now been adopted by the GOP. It is behind the US census question. Under-count areas that favour your opponents and use that as the basis for redrawn boundaries.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

I am not convinced, either. If there is an election in the wind, he’ll want one more go, and we won’t be clear of possible electoral imminence until Bozo has settled in and until after halloween, and with a likely further extension, probably not until early 2020.

So, if the EU says "yes, we will renegotiate the backstop", then Boris will say:

"Ha! No time, sorry suxxers. We're out we No Deal"?
    "
    But May brought in the UK customs union because the DUP were adamant that they would not accept a NI one. I don’t think that has changed.
    There’s the small detail of the DUP being the government’s majority.
    I said 'if he wins a majority.'

Boris needs to win an early autumn general election with a majority, then he will grow the DUP under a bus
    Boris also promised no election.
    In the debate he said 'in the forthcoming election' he will either call it for September or Grieve, Stewart, Lee etc back the opposition and VONC him anyway.

With a majority after that election he can pass the Withdrawal Agreement he voted for at MV3 minus the temporary Customs Union for GB and ignore the DUP
    Optimism is great but unfortunately reality tends never to produce the results we want. The Tories will go backwards in a GE. If May was dreadful . I keep telling you the 70 seat rule but you persist in niave fantasy!
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1148312432768684032?s=20

Tory majority 36 under Boris
    lol - you are incorrigible!
    Not really. He is a zealot and is heading for an embarrassing loss of face
    I seem to recall I was one of the few people on this blog to predict Boris would be next Tory leader, so while some may be heading for loss of face it will certainly not be me
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Is it just me who still finds that comments will not load on the 'normal' website:
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/07/11/the-money-goes-on-an-early-exit-for-corbyn/#vanilla-comments

but will here:
    https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7769/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-the-money-goes-on-an-early-exit-for-corbyn/p4?

I greatly prefer the 'normal' website but it's been out of action for quite a while. If it makes any difference, I use Firefox and Windows 7.

I get the same problem with Chrome. I don't get the problem in Opera or Microsoft Edge (and Opera is really rather good).
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

algarkirk said:

The Conservative party is morphing into the GOP before our eyes:

https://twitter.com/ProfTimBale/status/1149198151414427653

Yes, that's what happens when a large group of people feel, with reason, that powers and independence which they value has been eroded without consent, that parliament has overlooked the importance of getting real consent before sharing and pooling its sovereignty bit by bit and thus limiting its own powers. Then, when we have decided to take those powers back it is obvious that large numbers of people intend to stop it happening by any means they can. The sources of this crisis lie well in the past and cannot be quickly sorted. Both sides are prepared to use any tactics to get their way.

Yes it is all very unConservative, but these sorts of spats are now inevitable.
    "Without real consent"

Did we stop having general elections in the 1973 - 2016 period then?
    Effectively yes.

Considering the Labour manifesto for the General Election in 2005 said that Lisbon Treaty (then constitution) wouldn't be ratified without a referendum first, then it irreversibly was. Simply kicking out Labour in 2010 wasn't sufficient to undo their duplicity.
    Staggering. According to you we "effectively stopped" having General Elections over a 43 year period.

I need to have a lie down. I'm feeling, retrospectively, oppressed.
    I'm saying if at an election a party promises one thing then irreversibly changes things to do the complete opposite of what they said at the election then there was no consent.

Had manifesto commitments been honoured there would have been no Lisbon Treaty (or it would have gone through after consent was given at a referendum).
    You mean like Boris Johnson ruling out No Deal during the referendum then delivering No Deal?
  • Options
    edited July 2019

The GOPification of the Conservative Party is also evidenced by its extreme partisanship under Cameron, including the attempted gerrymandering around the seat reduction, the explosion of peers, even the denial of the IMF job to Gordon Brown. Again it is the notion that usual niceties of our unwritten constitution do not matter.

How can you write such unmitigated garbage? The 'gerrymandering' was an attempt to bring the electoral boundaries up to date and get rid of the disgraceful anomaly which gives votes in the North East and Wales an absurdly disproportionate number of MPs. The 'explosion' of peers was to correct an historical imbalance, and in any case was hardly anything new, since you are comparing with the 'usual niceties of our unwritten constitution. And as for Gordon Brown: since he was a prize numpty who had trashed the stability of the UK banking system and run the economy into a completely unnecessary debt crisis, I should jolly well hope he'd be blocked from the IMF. If Cameron has blocked Darling from such a role you might have a point, but not about Brown.
    The gerrymandering technique has now been adopted by the GOP. It is behind the US census question. Under-count areas that favour your opponents and use that as the basis for redrawn boundaries.
    What utter garbage, sorry, you really are being ridiculous. Have you not even heard of the Boundary Commission?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If he wins a majority we will leave Deal or No Deal then, even a temporary No Deal before the Withdrawal Agreement is passed
    If he has a majority, why can you not say whether it will be with a deal or without? If we leave with no deal then the treaties will cease to apply. The WA can't be passed retrospectively.
    The Withdrawal Agreement simply tidied up citizens' rights, the exit Bill and NI border to enable FTA talks to start, of course it can be passed even during a No Deal period
    It ceases to exist after withdrawal! The rights and arrangements it grants cease upon departure! To assume that you can just reaquire them at your leisure is just silly!

(Deep breath)

Please stop saying such silly things. Things are bad enough without telling people you can stand on the quay and the ship will return to pick you up once you have decided how much fare you would like to pay.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

I am not convinced, either. If there is an election in the wind, he’ll want one more go, and we won’t be clear of possible electoral imminence until Bozo has settled in and until after halloween, and with a likely further extension, probably not until early 2020.

So, if the EU says "yes, we will renegotiate the backstop", then Boris will say:

"Ha! No time, sorry suxxers. We're out we No Deal"?
    "
    But May brought in the UK customs union because the DUP were adamant that they would not accept a NI one. I don’t think that has changed.
    There’s the small detail of the DUP being the government’s majority.
    I said 'if he wins a majority.'

Boris needs to win an early autumn general election with a majority, then he will grow the DUP under a bus
    Boris also promised no election.
    In the debate he said 'in the forthcoming election' he will either call it for September or Grieve, Stewart, Lee etc back the opposition and VONC him anyway
    Optimism is great but unfortunately reality tends never to produce the results we want. The Tories will go backwards in a GE. If May was dreadful . I keep telling you the 70 seat rule but you persist in niave fantasy!
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1148312432768684032?s=20

Tory majority 36 under Boris
    lol - you are incorrigible!
    Not really. He is a zealot and is heading for an embarrassing loss of face
    I seem to recall I was one of the few people on this blog to predict Boris would be next Tory leader, so while some may be heading for loss of face it will certainly not be me
    It is your future predictions that are going to be your problem

No one can have any certainty on anything at present and while you are obsessed with your view there are many other views available and possible, even probable

Boris is not the great Messiah - he is unreliable and untrustworthy
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

but will here:

I get the same problem with Chrome. I don't get the problem in Opera or Microsoft Edge (and Opera is really rather good).
    Yes, the .com site doesn't show comments on this laptop using Firefox. Nor does the ipad using safari. Is there a solution?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If he has a majority, why can you not say whether it will be with a deal or without? If we leave with no deal then the treaties will cease to apply. The WA can't be passed retrospectively.
    The Withdrawal Agreement simply tidied up citizens' rights, the exit Bill and NI border to enable FTA talks to start, of course it can be passed even during a No Deal period
    Just to be clear what it is that you are claiming, what parts of this do you imagine will be available to us should we leave with no deal ?

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8453
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    rcs1000 said:

I find comments like this staggering. There's no analysis. There's no actual thought about the impact on the UK of imposition of tariffs. There's no measuring of the impact of dropping out of tax treaties. There's no question about what happens at borders and ports, and the rights of Brits in the EU (or vice-versa).

Instead, because Europhiles warned us of bad things in the past, and they didn't happen, then No Deal will be "negligible if not positive".

At the very least, there will be less trade betwee the EU and the UK. That seems an absolute given. (And ignores any other impacts.) As UK firms would not enter into this trade unless it was in their interests to do so, then any dimuntion must affect the UK negatively.

I have ridiculed people who said there might be medicine or food shortages. But the idea that there will be no impact of having tariffs slapped on around half our exports is laughable.

Just because there was no analysis in my retort doesn't mean there was no analysis behind it. There was no analysis in the post I replied to either. Furthermore I think Non-Tariff Barriers are a bigger risk than Tariffs.

But lets look at Tariffs and what follows is an overly-simplistic analysis since you asked for one and there's a character limit.

The WTO average of tariffs is 4%. That sounds significant but can be drowned out by the variance in Sterling.

So on average our goods may cost EU consumers/businesses 4% more, under ceteris paribus. But the likely impact of an immediate no deal scenario will be a fall in pound sterling. Probably at least 10% fall. So British exports will become effectively 10% cheaper in Europe while simultaneously having a 4% tariff applied. Effectively our goods become 6% cheaper net.

But then EU exports to the UK will become 10% more expensive net. And then we will start levying tariffs on certain EU products where we aren't previously. This will be a double-whammy leaving EU goods 14% more expensive net. Even if we don't apply as many tariffs, lets say 12% net.

Which means that overall UK exports to the EU will be 6% cheaper. EU imports to the UK will be 12% more expensive. Our balance of payments should improve.

Furthermore there is the impact on trade to the rest of the world. If Sterling becomes cheaper it becomes cheaper to the rest of the globe too not just Europe. As there will be no new tariffs there, our exporters simply gain there.

The risk is the risk of inflation. But with inflation low, under control and falling recently even that should be manageable.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    Tom Harwood on PM claiming it is "more likely than not" that Boris will get key concessions, driven by Germany, which will enable a WDA to be passed before October.
    Is there any evidence for this assertion at all?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

but will here:

Yes, the .com site doesn't show comments on this laptop using Firefox. Nor does the ipad using safari. Is there a solution?
    https://www.opera.com/
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    Quantity of PB complaints about British troops being sent to Syria on America's say so = 0
    Quantity of complaints about us handing Assange over to the US on a silver platter = 2?
    Quantity of PB complaints about an ambassador resigning = a small warehouse full of servers' worth.

• Options
    OGH: " ... With the talk of an early general election in the air the party doesn’t want to go through a potentially divisive leadership race at the moment."

Absolutely disagree with that theory. By ridding itself of Corbyn including his Marxist cohorts and bringing in a considerably more moderate leader would immediately gives Labour the chance of winning another couple of million votes at least, even the prospect of securing an overall majority at the next GE whenever that might be held.
  • Options

What utter garbage, sorry, you really are being ridiculous. Have you not even heard of the Boundary Commission?
    Read it again and try to understand how it works. If Midsomer leans Labour, then by undercounting the Midsomer electorate, you ensure Midsomer gets fewer constituencies from which to return Labour MPs. It is the same device now adopted by the GOP in America. It does not involve suborning the Boundary Commission. Once you fix the count, the rest is mathematics.
  • Options

Quantity of PB complaints about British troops being sent to Syria on America's say so = 0
    Quantity of complaints about us handing Assange over to the US on a silver platter = 2?
    Quantity of PB complaints about an ambassador resigning = a small warehouse full of servers' worth.

Quantity of Russian trolls on PB - 1
  • Options

Read it again and try to understand how it works. If Midsomer leans Labour, then by undercounting the Midsomer electorate, you ensure Midsomer gets fewer constituencies from which to return Labour MPs. It is the same device now adopted by the GOP in America. It does not involve suborning the Boundary Commission. Once you fix the count, the rest is mathematics.

And what exactly did Cameron do to 'undercount' the Midsomer electorate?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    England might win the world cup and we leave the EU in the same year.

The Boris bounce has started already.

Can someone check on Nicla Sturgeon ?

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,967
    dixiedean said:

Tom Harwood on PM claiming it is "more likely than not" that Boris will get key concessions, driven by Germany, which will enable a WDA to be passed before October.
    Is there any evidence for this assertion at all?

A small amount of an unidentified dried liquid in Tom Harwood's bed?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I find comments like this staggering. There's no analysis. There's no actual thought about the impact on the UK of imposition of tariffs. There's no measuring of the impact of dropping out of tax treaties. There's no question about what happens at borders and ports, and the rights of Brits in the EU (or vice-versa).

Instead, because Europhiles warned us of bad things in the past, and they didn't happen, then No Deal will be "negligible if not positive".

At the very least, there will be less trade betwee the EU and the UK. That seems an absolute given. (And ignores any other impacts.) As UK firms would not enter into this trade unless it was in their interests to do so, then any dimuntion must affect the UK negatively.

I have ridiculed people who said there might be medicine or food shortages. But the idea that there will be no impact of having tariffs slapped on around half our exports is laughable.

Just because there was no analysis in my retort doesn't mean there was no analysis behind it. There was no analysis in the post I replied to either. Furthermore I think Non-Tariff Barriers are a bigger risk than Tariffs.

But lets look at Tariffs and what follows is an overly-simplistic analysis since you asked for one and there's a character limit.

The WTO average of tariffs is 4%. That sounds significant but can be drowned out by the variance in Sterling.

So on average our goods may cost EU consumers/businesses 4% more, under ceteris paribus. But the likely impact of an immediate no deal scenario will be a fall in pound sterling. Probably at least 10% fall. So British exports will become effectively 10% cheaper in Europe while simultaneously having a 4% tariff applied. Effectively our goods become 6% cheaper net.

But then EU exports to the UK will become 10% more expensive net. And then we will start levying tariffs on certain EU products where we aren't previously. This will be a double-whammy leaving EU goods 14% more expensive net. Even if we don't apply as many tariffs, lets say 12% net.

Which means that overall UK exports to the EU will be 6% cheaper. EU imports to the UK will be 12% more expensive. Our balance of payments should improve.

Furthermore there is the impact on trade to the rest of the world. If Sterling becomes cheaper it becomes cheaper to the rest of the globe too not just Europe. As there will be no new tariffs there, our exporters simply gain there.

The risk is the risk of inflation. But with inflation low, under control and falling recently even that should be manageable.
    How do you keep inflation under control when (due to the fall in sterling) you just made every import over 10% more expensive overnight?
  • Options

JohnO said:

but will here:

Thanks and yes, it does work on opera and chrome but I was hoping that normal service could be resumed on Firefox
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

algarkirk said:

Yes, that's what happens when a large group of people feel, with reason, that powers and independence which they value has been eroded without consent, that parliament has overlooked the importance of getting real consent before sharing and pooling its sovereignty bit by bit and thus limiting its own powers. Then, when we have decided to take those powers back it is obvious that large numbers of people intend to stop it happening by any means they can. The sources of this crisis lie well in the past and cannot be quickly sorted. Both sides are prepared to use any tactics to get their way.

"Without real consent"

Effectively yes.

Considering the Labour manifesto for the General Election in 2005 said that Lisbon Treaty (then constitution) wouldn't be ratified without a referendum first, then it irreversibly was. Simply kicking out Labour in 2010 wasn't sufficient to undo their duplicity.
    Staggering. According to you we "effectively stopped" having General Elections over a 43 year period.

I'm saying if at an election a party promises one thing then irreversibly changes things to do the complete opposite of what they said at the election then there was no consent.

Had manifesto commitments been honoured there would have been no Lisbon Treaty (or it would have gone through after consent was given at a referendum).
    You mean like Boris Johnson ruling out No Deal during the referendum then delivering No Deal?
    Yes, exactly like that, though the Tories and DUP won a majority pledging that no deal was better than a bad deal.

I think should the Tories implement No Deal then other parties will be perfectly entitled to seek to reverse that a future election and agree a deal. It should be easier to reverse no deal (whether by agreeing a deal or rejoining) than it is to reverse the Lisbon Treaty and find us back to pre-Lisbon EU members.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    JohnO said:

but will here:

For Vanilla and Firefox to undo their 'fixes'? The saying "If it isn't broken ..." seems unknown to those who run the internet.
  • Options

Yes, exactly like that, though the Tories and DUP won a majority pledging that no deal was better than a bad deal.

I think should the Tories implement No Deal then other parties will be perfectly entitled to seek to reverse that a future election and agree a deal. It should be easier to reverse no deal (whether by agreeing a deal or rejoining) than it is to reverse the Lisbon Treaty and find us back to pre-Lisbon EU members.

That's not what the Tory manifesto said.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

rcs1000 said:

How demand elastic are dollar priced goods such as commodities? Enjoy the import inflation.
  • Options

Purged the electoral rolls and moved to individual registration, taking advantage of the fact that populations are more mobile in Labour-leaning areas. As a side-effect, it also damaged Remain's chance in the referendum, which is why we had the last-minute registration drive, which was probably then a factor in May's 2017 defeat so a double whammy to his own side from Cameron's attempted gerrymandering. The reduction to 600 seats was not to save money, as claimed, it was to ensure ALL constituencies were redrawn on the "fixed" counts.

• Options
    viewcode said:

How do you keep inflation under control when (due to the fall in sterling) you just made every import over 10% more expensive overnight?

Same as we did when Sterling fell by over 10% following the EU referendum. Imports are not the prices paid at the till or by the end user. Every business in the UK, even importers, have a plethora of costs that are denominated in pound sterling. Especially wages etc. That 10% increase in import costs will be undersirable but will not reach the end consumer as a 10% increase unless wages in sterling etc have gone up 10% (and if they have that's a different kettle of fish).
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

but will here:

Thanks and yes, it does work on opera and chrome but I was hoping that normal service could be resumed on Firefox
    Not sure that this is what you want to hear but PB.com works fine (inc. comments) on Firefox on my Mac. Firefox v67.0.4.

I generally use Safari tbh and PB.com is working fine with that on my Mac, Macbook, iPad and iPhone. (Still that's Apple for you - boringly reliable.)

PS just restarted to bring in Firefox 68.0 - still works fine.
  • Options

JohnO said:

but will here:

For Vanilla and Firefox to undo their 'fixes'? The saying "If it isn't broken ..." seems unknown to those who run the internet.
    My Firefox seems to be working for now.
  • Options

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

but will here:

Not sure that this is what you want to hear but PB.com works fine (inc. comments) on Firefox on my Mac. Firefox v67.0.4.

I generally use Safari tbh and PB.com is working fine with that on my Mac, Macbook, iPad and iPhone. (Still that's Apple for you - boringly reliable.)

Mine is 68.0 for Windows and works fine.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Same as we did when Sterling fell by over 10% following the EU referendum. Imports are not the prices paid at the till or by the end user. Every business in the UK, even importers, have a plethora of costs that are denominated in pound sterling. Especially wages etc. That 10% increase in import costs will be undersirable but will not reach the end consumer as a 10% increase unless wages in sterling etc have gone up 10% (and if they have that's a different kettle of fish).
    I suspect that if some prices of imports rise, then consumers will switch to locally produced goods - or change their spending habits.

As happens all the time.

Almost like its a market...

• Options
    Quitter not a fighter

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9488826/dominic-grieve-quit-tories-boris-johnson/

"HARDCORE Remainer Dominic Grieve today admitted he may quit the Tory part if Boris Johnson becomes PM."
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

I suspect that if some prices of imports rise, then consumers will switch to locally produced goods - or change their spending habits.

As happens all the time.

Precisely, hence our balance of payments will improve. A freely floating currency acts as a natural shock absorber for the economy. The idea a 10% fall in sterling leads to a 10% increase in inflation is entirely economically illiterate.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Well, that was an interesting day at the Hollies Stand, Edgbaston cricket ground. I wonder if there are any tickets left for Sunday?
  • Options

Purged the electoral rolls and moved to individual registration, taking advantage of the fact that populations are more mobile in Labour-leaning areas. As a side-effect, it also damaged Remain's chance in the referendum, which is why we had the last-minute registration drive, which was probably then a factor in May's 2017 defeat so a double whammy to his own side from Cameron's attempted gerrymandering. The reduction to 600 seats was not to save money, as claimed, it was to ensure ALL constituencies were redrawn on the "fixed" counts.

There was cross-party consensus in favour of individual registration. The old idea of a 'head of the household' is well past its sell-by date.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    I'm glad the WC Final will be on Channel 4. At least I can watch it now.
  • Options

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

but will here:

Mine is 68.0 for Windows and works fine.
    Me too for both but no comments. I'll survive somehow.
  • Options

There is a last-minute registration drive before EVERY election. I remember there being one before the 2015 election, before 2010, 2005 and for my first election in 2001 which caused me to check I was registered for my first election (I already was, by the university).
  • Options

Yep - cricket is back on council tv.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

What kind of market do you shop in where you still have the same choices with 10% less money?

Import substitution does not happen overnight. And bear in mind it's not just EU imports, it's every import
  • Options
    matt said:

rcs1000 said:

How demand elastic are dollar priced goods such as commodities? Enjoy the import inflation.
    I referenced inflation in my post.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

The manifesto promises "the best possible deal for Britain as we leave the European Union delivered by a smooth, orderly Brexit".
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

I'm sorry about the tone of my email. It was unnecessarily abrasive.

Balance of payments is nothing to do with exchange rates, and all to do with household savings rates. If it was about exchange rates, then Switzerland (with the world's most expensive currency) would run a deficit, instead of a massive surplus. If it was about exchange rates, then British exports to the EU would have soared between 2015 and now, as the pound has lost 30% of its value relative to the Euro.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

Precisely, hence our balance of payments will improve. A freely floating currency acts as a natural shock absorber for the economy. The idea a 10% fall in sterling leads to a 10% increase in inflation is entirely economically illiterate.
    How would you describe the idea that one can just keep devaluing the currency with no deleterious effects?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

What kind of market do you shop in where you still have the same choices with 10% less money?

Import substitution does not happen overnight. And bear in mind it's not just EU imports, it's every import
    I will choose Scottish Strawberries over Spanish oranges or Mexican avocados.

Or spend it on English beer instead.

Or save it.

• Options
    Urrg we've gone back to talking about Brexit. I think I preferred Labour's anti-semitism.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

What kind of shop will cause you to have 10% less money? As I said every single business in the country has a number of charges due in Sterling.

Absolutely its every import which will help our enormous balance of trade deficit. Plus every export will benefit which will again help our balance of trade deficit. If we had a balance of trade surplus, rampant inflation and then looked at this we could be exasperating existing problems but we don't.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

algarkirk said:

"Without real consent"

Effectively yes.

Once we’ve left we’ve left I hope we get what we deserve.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Once we’ve left we’ve left I hope we get what we deserve.

Straight bananas ?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

How would you describe the idea that one can just keep devaluing the currency with no deleterious effects?
    The idea we can keep doing it is bonkers. It would lead to rampant inflation.

The idea we can do it now to get through a transitionary period while the world is undergoing a period of deflationary pressures . . . that works.
  • Options

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

What kind of shop will cause you to have 10% less money? As I said every single business in the country has a number of charges due in Sterling.

Absolutely its every import which will help our enormous balance of trade deficit. Plus every export will benefit which will again help our balance of trade deficit. If we had a balance of trade surplus, rampant inflation and then looked at this we could be exasperating existing problems but we don't.
    How much impact did the 2016 Brexit devaluation have on our balance of trade figures.

From memory it was remarkably little...
  • Options

Urrg we've gone back to talking about Brexit. I think I preferred Labour's anti-semitism.

Let’s stick with cricket
  • Options

There is a last-minute registration drive before EVERY election. I remember there being one before the 2015 election, before 2010, 2005 and for my first election in 2001 which caused me to check I was registered for my first election (I already was, by the university).
    The government extended the registration deadline. It was controversial at the time because the Brexiteers could see it was done to favour Remain.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It ceases to exist after withdrawal! The rights and arrangements it grants cease upon departure! To assume that you can just reaquire them at your leisure is just silly!

(Deep breath)

Please stop saying such silly things. Things are bad enough without telling people you can stand on the quay and the ship will return to pick you up once you have decided how much fare you would like to pay.
    Then we would start FTA talks with the EU fully outside the EU orbit, the single market and Customs Union bar NI as a fully sovereign nation
  • Options
    viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

The pound in you’re pocket .......
  • Options

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

The idea we can keep doing it is bonkers. It would lead to rampant inflation.

The idea we can do it now to get through a transitionary period while the world is undergoing a period of deflationary pressures . . . that works.
    viewcode will continue to buy the same number of Spanish Oranges even if the price rises to £50 each apparently.

I guess under Corbyn, the government will do our shopping for us.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

Or save it.

So less money and less choice. Our Glorious Brexit Future.

I once characterised Brexit as very rich and mobile people telling me that money and travel doesn't matter whilst making me poorer and less mobile. Not so much an economic policy more the GOP version of "120 Days of Sodom"
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,407
    She doesn't think there should be a manufacturing industry. Jeez.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

Or save it.

I once characterised Brexit as very rich and mobile people telling me that money and travel doesn't matter whilst making me poorer and less mobile. Not so much an economic policy more the GOP version of "120 Days of Sodom"
    The latest iphone was £1000+ , a huge price rise over the previous model.

I didn't buy it.

We are still in the EU.

Basic economics should be taught in all schools.

• Options

There was cross-party consensus in favour of individual registration. The old idea of a 'head of the household' is well past its sell-by date.
    And, as Shipman's book reminds me, en masse registration of students was stopped, which favoured Conservative-leaning areas (where students come from) at the expense of Labour or LibDem-leaning university towns.
  • Options
    eek said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

How much impact did the 2016 Brexit devaluation have on our balance of trade figures.

Just as it was very little impact on inflation.

Just as tariffs will have very little impact.

The 4% that WTO tariffs represent will be swallowed up by the rest of the big picture.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Is it?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

Or save it.

They want blue passports and to hate foreigners. The idea that people might mind losing choices and being impoverished doesn’t register as a concern.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

TGOHF said:

Is it?
    Channel 4 for the final.
  • Options

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

Or save it.

They want blue passports and to hate foreigners.
    Who is "they" ?
  • Options

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

Or save it.

They want blue passports and to hate foreigners. The idea that people might mind losing choices and being impoverished doesn’t register as a concern.
    People won't lose choices or be impoverished though. Which is your concern.
  • Options

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

Or save it.

You’ve written a long (mostly bullshit, by the way) justification of your lust for death cult Brexit based on British people finding foreign products more expensive - so they won’t be able to buy what they want and they will be impoverished. It’s bad enough not understanding other people’s posts. You don’t even understand your own.
  • Options
    The reason that all discussions about exchange rates are wrong is simply that almost all exports have imports associated with them.

Let's look at something simple, like wheat. Export of wheat depends on the import of fertilizers (nitrogen based, so depend on natural gas, and potash imported from Canada). Plus harvesting them requires vehicles (that at the very least require the import of steel and oil), as does getting them to market.

For manufactured products, the issue is 10x greater.

So, while exhange rates can help, ultimately changing the exchange rate only really affects the labour component of exports.

So take a car from Nissan Sunderland.

How much is the Labour component of a £20,000 car?

Well, let's work it out, shall we. Nissan employs 7,000 people. Let's assume an average wage of £50,000 (which is probably a but on the high side, but let's go with it). That means they pay £350m/year in wages.

OK. How many cars does Nissan produce there? 500,000/year. Let's assume that they get £15,000/car. That works out as £7.5bn.

So the labour component is about 4% of the total. A 10% devaluation therefore has an impact - but only a modest one. And, of course, this ignores the fact that Nissan has to import car parts and steel from the EU, which might now be subject to tariffs.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

Or save it.

Who is "they" ?
    Death cult Brexiteers such as yourself.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

Or save it.

Who is "they" ?
    Do I hate all foreigners or just those called Jeffrey ?

• Options
    Don't muddy the waters with your facts @rcs1000. Remember that Boris will take us out by October 31st deal or no deal and everything will be fantastic for ever.
  • Options
    eek said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

There's remarkably little correlation between exhange rate movements and growth in exports. Hence Switzerland is a place with growing quantities of exports, while Argentina is a basketcase.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

Or save it.

Who is "they" ?

You don’t seem very fond of the ones called Padraig or Aoife. I’m sure you could supply me a longer list if you put your mind to it.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

Or save it.

Who is "they" ?

You don’t seem very fond of the ones called Padraig or Aoife. I’m sure you could supply me a longer list if you put your mind to it.
    Obviously I like Vladimir and Donald.

And Kim Jong.

And Albanians - as long as they are Capricorns.

Do all remainers eat spinach ?

• Options
    You're very feisty tonight @AlastairMeeks!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

There's remarkably little correlation between exhange rate movements and growth in exports. Hence Switzerland is a place with growing quantities of exports, while Argentina is a basketcase.
    Which was my point - you would expect the 2016 devaluation to have reduced imports and increased exports but that really wasn't the case and shows that Brexit won't improve our balance of trade issues..
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

Don't muddy the waters with your facts @rcs1000. Remember that Boris will take us out by October 31st deal or no deal and everything will be fantastic for ever.

Not forgetting winning a majority based on a manifesto he will promptly dump in order to agree to the EU’s original draft of the Withdrawal Agreement. His newly elected MPs will bow down to his genius.
  • Options

You're very feisty* tonight @AlastairMeeks!

*much in the middle of a mad othering rant

• Options

Not forgetting winning a majority based on a manifesto he will promptly dump in order to agree to the EU’s original draft of the Withdrawal Agreement. His newly elected MPs will bow down to his genius.
    It's a foolproof plan. If only May had come up with it 2 years ago.
  • Options

I’m inappropriately low on unfounded optimism. Clearly I’m out of sync with the zeitgeist.
  • Options

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

Or save it.

You’ve written a long (mostly bullshit, by the way) justification of your lust for death cult Brexit based on British people finding foreign products more expensive - so they won’t be able to buy what they want and they will be impoverished. It’s bad enough not understanding other people’s posts. You don’t even understand your own.
    I have no lust for 'death cult Brexit', I just have no fear for a no deal Brexit if it happens as I think the warnings over it are bullshit.

As is your claim that imports being slightly more expensive = impoverished. The over 10% fall in Sterling following the 2016 referendum resulted in a very minor and absorbed change in inflation.
  • Options

As an aside do any of our diehard leavers stand to lose anything if things go wrong? To some there is a ludicrous belief in freedom and others that think immigration will come magically down (although it will if the economy is trashed) but a bit of honesty around what their personal exposure is would be interesting. I don’t accept the ‘it won’t happen’ argument so tell us what you are risking personally?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    TGOHF said:

nichomar said:

TGOHF said:

Is it?
    Channel 4 for the final.

It’s not in the schedule yet for ch4 currently showing the Grand Prix ok just seen they have done a deal to show on 4 and more 4, thanks
  • Options
    How Jofra Archer's tweets foretold England's Cricket World Cup semi win

The England’s fast bowler’s old tweets made it clear that his side were always destined to beat Australia

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jul/11/how-jofra-archer-foretold-england-cricket-world-cup-semi-final-win
  • Options
    nichomar said:

TGOHF said:

nichomar said:

TGOHF said:

Is it?
    Channel 4 for the final.

It’s not in the schedule yet for ch4 currently showing the Grand Prix
    They announced they'd show the final if England qualified.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Here's something all of PB can agree is a fantastic idea:

https://twitter.com/whatsonne/status/1148998681020043264

Only a 10 minute drive from my house!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,067
    rcs1000 said:

I'm sorry about the tone of my email. It was unnecessarily abrasive.

Balance of payments is nothing to do with exchange rates, and all to do with household savings rates. If it was about exchange rates, then Switzerland (with the world's most expensive currency) would run a deficit, instead of a massive surplus. If it was about exchange rates, then British exports to the EU would have soared between 2015 and now, as the pound has lost 30% of its value relative to the Euro.
    Exports to the EU have increased though:

2015 £225bn
    2018 £289bn

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/l7d7/ukea

The UK's problem is that it keeps over-consuming on the imports (and foreign holidays).

I suspect that will keep happening until the trillion quid of borrowed money the government has pumped into the economy works itself out at some point.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

Lets not reverse cause and effect.

Argentina isn't a basketcase because its currency collapsed. Argentina's currency collapsed because it is a basketcase.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    rcs1000 said:

The reason that all discussions about exchange rates are wrong is simply that almost all exports have imports associated with them.

Let's look at something simple, like wheat. Export of wheat depends on the import of fertilizers (nitrogen based, so depend on natural gas, and potash imported from Canada). Plus harvesting them requires vehicles (that at the very least require the import of steel and oil), as does getting them to market.

For manufactured products, the issue is 10x greater.

So, while exhange rates can help, ultimately changing the exchange rate only really affects the labour component of exports.

So take a car from Nissan Sunderland.

How much is the Labour component of a £20,000 car?

Well, let's work it out, shall we. Nissan employs 7,000 people. Let's assume an average wage of £50,000 (which is probably a but on the high side, but let's go with it). That means they pay £350m/year in wages.

OK. How many cars does Nissan produce there? 500,000/year. Let's assume that they get £15,000/car. That works out as £7.5bn.

So the labour component is about 4% of the total. A 10% devaluation therefore has an impact - but only a modest one. And, of course, this ignores the fact that Nissan has to import car parts and steel from the EU, which might now be subject to tariffs.

If the link between exports of goods and the exchange rate is weak with services it seems almost non existent. And that is nearly half our exports. Your examples perhaps better explain why an ever rising deutschmark seemed if anything to boost German exports.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594

And people wonder why obesity and diabetes are epidemic...
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600

Yes, we ended up with a huge, untested experiment in implementing a new electoral registration system that the government chose to put into effect without any pilot in the most important year of the 5 year electoral cycle. The system of seamless transfer of people from the old registers by data matching failed in areas with mobile populations. Cheap privately rented accommodation especially areas with ethnic minorities were particularly vulnerable, and under-resourced local election officials could not turn that around.

Your theory that it took two years to recover after 2015 is interesting because individual registration can explain both why Labour underperformed to expectations in 2015 and then defied the expectation of a repeat underperformance (by then built in to polling models) in 2017. A further factor, in addition to the 2016 referendum, was that the 2017 general election took place a month after local elections on the same register which woke up many people who found they could not vote in May to the fact that they needed urgently to do something to avoid a repeat performance in June.

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

I’m inappropriately low on unfounded optimism. Clearly I’m out of sync with the zeitgeist.
    Hopefully the unnecessary deaths will be leavers. Hard to target but in a war there are winners and losers.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,067
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

As happens all the time.

Which was my point - you would expect the 2016 devaluation to have reduced imports and increased exports but that really wasn't the case and shows that Brexit won't improve our balance of trade issues..
    Have you bothered to look at the data ?

Here are UK exports:

2011 £501bn
    2012 £505bn
    2013 £524bn
    2014 £520bn
    2015 £520bn
    2016 £557bn
    2017 £618bn
    2018 £634bn

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/ikbh/mret
  • Options
    Foxy said:

You want to take my Pink Jammie's away from me? Over my dead body!
  • Options

Foxy said:

You want to take my Pink Jammie's away from me? Over my dead body!
    What you wear in bed is your own affair... :)
This discussion has been closed.