Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What it takes to be a good leader

Comments

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,404
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Just come back from knocking up for a closely fought parish council by election in Chigwell Row, the result was 344 Tories 288 LD after a hard fought campaign

Congratulations.
    Yes, an example of how the LDs can be beaten with plenty of canvassing, leaflets and targeted knocking up. Well done new Cllr Bhanot
    In a ward where the Tories got 63% last time? Laughable.
    It was LD at one point in the 1990s and in 2002 the Tories won it by just 7 votes, they won it by 56 votes tonight
    So the Tories are almost as deep in the crap as they were in 2002. Nice to hear.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Wow. Just wow. This is the caring, kinder Left. The ones who love people and think we should all work together in one happy commune under the benign love of St Jezza.

"I didn't have a nervous breakdown, why did they?"

https://twitter.com/TheRedRoar/status/1149247565076021248

Remember this? - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-creates-new-dedicated-minister-for-mental-health-in-his-shadow-cabinet-10500075.html.

One Luciana Berger.

Little did we know that Corbyn was trolling us.
    Prime Minister Jezza is going to be quite a ride. Being right after the short reigning Prime Minister BoJo, it looks like being a very interesting run up to Christmas.
    Betfair needs to catch up. So far there is only a market on next PM. We need Next PM+1 and +2.

Ken Clarke for PM+1?
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

The Tory majority in Chigwell Row has reduced by nearly 75% and @HYUFD is happy.

I must know what drugs you are taking.

Dodgy maths there.

The swing was not 75%. It isn't possible to retain a seat on a 75% swing.

If a seat is held with a majority of 4 one election then held again with a majority of 1 I wouldn't say that was a bad result reducing the majority by 75%.
    No one said anything about the swing being 75%.
    No but normally people talk about swing, instead you talk about "reduced majority" which is a dodgy bar chart phrase if I ever saw one. Hence my next line.
    Boring.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

Great idea, a perfect location for sealing and signing those new trade deals!
    Trade negotiators aren’t going to give the UK a great deal because they’re served a posh meal on a boat !

This looks like another vanity project like the Garden Bridge fiasco .
    It adds to selling brand GB
    If you want to sell brand GB you’d ditch Brexit !

The UK is no longer cool and is no longer the country seen as pragmatic and sensible. It’s a basket case with two failed parties , one of which is in power and wants to re run WW2 but without the blitz bombing .
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Wow. Just wow. This is the caring, kinder Left. The ones who love people and think we should all work together in one happy commune under the benign love of St Jezza.

Remember this? - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-creates-new-dedicated-minister-for-mental-health-in-his-shadow-cabinet-10500075.html.

One Luciana Berger.

Prime Minister Jezza is going to be quite a ride. Being right after the short reigning Prime Minister BoJo, it looks like being a very interesting run up to Christmas.
    Betfair needs to catch up. So far there is only a market on next PM. We need Next PM+1 and +2.

Ken Clarke for PM+1?
    Party of PM+1 and Party of PM+2 would be interesting markets.
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

Trade negotiators aren’t going to give the UK a great deal because they’re served a posh meal on a boat !

It's another symbol to the aging membership who were brought up in the 1950s: Britain is back, we still rule the waves, Suez didn't happen.

Doubt the Queen is even bothered.
    Good! Lock them up and throw away the key.

Given all the conspiracy theories it would be interesting to know who really was behind this and why.

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

One Luciana Berger.

Ken Clarke for PM+1?
    PM+1 - Gov of National Unity (Messrs, Clarke, Grieve, Hammond, Watson and Ms Cooper and Swinson)
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The country voted for Brexit, most of the establishment, the Judiciary, Parliament and civil service are Remainers. It will take a huge and determined personality like Boris to achieve it, much as Churchill over appeasement or Thatcher over breaking the post war consensus also faced huge establishment opposition when trying to deliver it

Bollx.

Where is your evidence that the impartial judiciary are blocking Brexit?

Truly the Conservative Party (clue used to be in the name) has jumped the shark and become the UK Tea Party.

When you have razed every ages-old institution of the British Isles to the ground in order to see whether unicorns exist perhaps you will all reflect on what you have done.
    It was thanks to the judiciary's backing for the Gina Miller case that Parliament was able to both vote against and block the Withdrawal Agreement and No Deal
    They made a ruling about the law, which is their job. Whatever others have done in reaction to that ruling, it does not speak as to their motivation in the slightest. Can you not see what an extreme accusation it is to make, to essentially imply the judiciary as a whole, because you assume most are remainers, are complicit in seeking to intervene in a political issue?

The logic of your position is that the Supreme Court should not have cared what the law required, they should not have 'backed' the Gina Miller case, for political reasons.
    The Gina Miller case was won 8 to 3, so at least 3 Supreme Court Justices believed Miller was wrong on the law and the government was right.

Yes. That's totally irrelevant to your comments about the judiciary being remainers and then, by implication, that the highest court's backing for Miller proves that remainery position. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with the opinion of a judge, and as you note in this case several of those on the court did not agree with the majority view. It's a far cry from that, however, to talking about the judiciary as a political opponent that needs to be overcome, which is essentially what you did, claiming the Miller case as proof of that. How else are we to interpret that other than that you think they made their ruling because of their politics?

For all I know every single Supreme Court judge voted remain, or every single one voted leave. So long as we believe they perform their jobs and made their decision based on their view of the law, it does not matter. And yet you, a remain voter as you point out, imply they cannot be trusted.

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

One Luciana Berger.

Ken Clarke for PM+1?
    PM+1 - Gov of National Unity (Messrs, Clarke, Grieve, Hammond, Watson and Ms Cooper and Swinson)
    Without the consent of the party leaders which won't be forthcoming from either party that is only possible if hundreds of MPs defect from the Tories and defect from Labour.

How many do you think are going to defect from the Tories and how many from Labour?
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

This may have been discussed earlier - but the clip of Corbyn saying how he doesn't care about any of this is probably only to be expected of him.

https://twitter.com/TheGolem_/status/1149344548491055109

I wonder what Uncle Thickie's reaction would have been if it was anti-LGBT stuff? I have a feeling it would have been outraged of Islington mode...
    Too many MPs have been quiet on the bigotry on display outside the schools in Birmingham and beyond.

Perish the thought that Labour might not wish to upset their Muslim voters by condemning what has happened as bigoted and just plain wrong.

Now I know it is only a small number of parents protesting and not all of those who object to this particular curriculum are Muslim - but most of it is being done in the name of Islam.

So this is not an attack on all Muslims or all of Islam. But it is very much an attack on those who use their religion - any religion - as justification for bigotry, hatred and ignorance.

But politicians of all parties have not done enough to condemn this.

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

One Luciana Berger.

Ken Clarke for PM+1?
    Seems improbable. BoJo will probably squeak through the summer on the basis it's fair to see if he can pull off a miracle, and then we'll probably go into a GE, and old Ken is finally hanging up his spurs.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

This may have been discussed earlier - but the clip of Corbyn saying how he doesn't care about any of this is probably only to be expected of him.

I wonder what Uncle Thickie's reaction would have been if it was anti-LGBT stuff? I have a feeling it would have been outraged of Islington mode...
    Too many MPs have been quiet on the bigotry on display outside the schools in Birmingham and beyond.

Perish the thought that Labour might not wish to upset their Muslim voters by condemning what has happened as bigoted and just plain wrong.

Now I know it is only a small number of parents protesting and not all of those who object to this particular curriculum are Muslim - but most of it is being done in the name of Islam.

So this is not an attack on all Muslims or all of Islam. But it is very much an attack on those who use their religion - any religion - as justification for bigotry, hatred and ignorance.

Absolutely...Jess Philips being the exception...and should be praised for doing so.

Absolutely...Jess Philips being the exception...and should be praised for doing so.
    Indeed - very happy to acknowledge that she has been almost a lone voice on this topic. Shame on those who have kept quiet.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,584

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

It's another symbol to the aging membership who were brought up in the 1950s: Britain is back, we still rule the waves, Suez didn't happen.

Doubt the Queen is even bothered.
    I think the list of things you’re bothered with in your ninth decade is necessarily limited.

A new boat probably doesn’t come close to figuring.

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,713
    edited July 2019
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

The UK is no longer cool and is no longer the country seen as pragmatic and sensible. It’s a basket case with two failed parties , one of which is in power and wants to re run WW2 but without the blitz bombing .
    Actually in the world of the USA of Trump, the Brazil of Bolsonaro, the Australia of Scott Morrison, the India of Modi, the Italy of Salvini, the Russia of Putin, the Israel of Netanyahu, Brexit and Boris are merely parts of a global trend in favour of reclaiming national sovereignty.

Apart from maybe Trudeau and Macron are there any other 'cool' leaders around at the moment? Assuming 'cool' requires you to be a telegenic liberal anyway

She's the one Labour MP in recent years who has won my respect. I don't agree with her politics, but she is willing to stand up for what she believes in consistently even when standing up to her own side. Like Ken Clarke for the Tories.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

I am going to send the thread header I did on this to our feeble Education and Equalities Ministers and tell them to turn it into a speech and do the effing job we pay them to do.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Just come back from knocking up for a closely fought parish council by election in Chigwell Row, the result was 344 Tories 288 LD after a hard fought campaign

Congratulations.
    Yes, an example of how the LDs can be beaten with plenty of canvassing, leaflets and targeted knocking up. Well done new Cllr Bhanot
    In a ward where the Tories got 63% last time? Laughable.
    It was LD at one point in the 1990s and in 2002 the Tories won it by just 7 votes, they won it by 56 votes tonight
    So the Tories are almost as deep in the crap as they were in 2002. Nice to hear.
    The Tories were less in the crap in 2002 than they were in the mid 1990s and Boris will win back some of the Brexit Party voters who would not vote tonight
    Cyclefree said:

I am going to send the thread header I did on this to our feeble Education and Equalities Ministers and tell them to turn it into a speech and do the effing job we pay them to do.
    I think we know what people do with emails of that length. They delete them immediately. Lengthy emails are often a sign of the overly passionate and obsessed, and to be ignored.

Which is a shame, as it was a very good header.
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The country voted for Brexit, most of the establishment, the Judiciary, Parliament and civil service are Remainers. It will take a huge and determined personality like Boris to achieve it, much as Churchill over appeasement or Thatcher over breaking the post war consensus also faced huge establishment opposition when trying to deliver it

Bollx.

Where is your evidence that the impartial judiciary are blocking Brexit?

Truly the Conservative Party (clue used to be in the name) has jumped the shark and become the UK Tea Party.

When you have razed every ages-old institution of the British Isles to the ground in order to see whether unicorns exist perhaps you will all reflect on what you have done.
    It was thanks to the judiciary's backing for the Gina Miller case that Parliament was able to both vote against and block the Withdrawal Agreement and No Deal
    They made a ruling about the law, which is their job. ld not have cared what the law required, they should not have 'backed' the Gina Miller case, for political reasons.
    The Gina Miller case was won 8 to 3, so at least 3 Supreme Court Justices believed Miller was wrong on the law and the government was right.

Yes. That's totally irrelevant to your comments about the judiciary being remainers and then, by implication, that the highest court's backing for Miller proves that remainery position. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with the opinion of a judge, and as you note in this case several of those on the court did not agree with the majority view. It's a far cry from that, however, to talking about the judiciary as a political opponent that needs to be overcome, which is essentially what you did, claiming the Miller case as proof of that. How else are we to interpret that other than that you think they made their ruling because of their politics?

For all I know every single Supreme Court judge voted remain, or every single one voted leave. So long as we believe they perform their jobs and made their decision based on their view of the law, it does not matter. And yet you, a remain voter as you point out, imply they cannot be trusted.
    3 judges clearly felt the law enabled them them to come to a different view, as the US Supreme Court has shown which judges are appointed to the highest court can make a big difference as to how they interpret the law
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Let's hope they get carried away to jail one day.

Cyclefree said:

One Luciana Berger.

It was a standard technique iirc of Soviet Russia to declare people with the wrong views as mentally unwell.
    I find this behaviour by Labour members really quite despicable. A very close young family member has suffered serious mental illness. It is very distressing to see at close quarters and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. To be so indifferent and cruel about young people enduring it because of the behaviour of colleagues and bosses around them is utterly repulsive.

Those who speak like this, those who are indifferent to this pain, those who justify it or excuse it are utter scum. I simply do not see how anyone with a shred of decency can support a party which behaves like this and/or turns a blind eye to it. I really can't.
    Meanwhile in another part of the Alt-Right universe:

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1149409971479764992

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

I think we know what people do with emails of that length. They delete them immediately. Lengthy emails are often a sign of the overly passionate and obsessed, and to be ignored.

Which is a shame, as it was a very good header.
    Sadly you are almost certainly right. I may print it off and put it in a letter. (Remember those?) With probably the same effect.

How does one get politicians to pay attention?
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

One Luciana Berger.

It was a standard technique iirc of Soviet Russia to declare people with the wrong views as mentally unwell.
    I find this behaviour by Labour members really quite despicable. A very close young family member has suffered serious mental illness. It is very distressing to see at close quarters and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. To be so indifferent and cruel about young people enduring it because of the behaviour of colleagues and bosses around them is utterly repulsive.

Those who speak like this, those who are indifferent to this pain, those who justify it or excuse it are utter scum. I simply do not see how anyone with a shred of decency can support a party which behaves like this and/or turns a blind eye to it. I really can't.
    :+1: x a thousand.

Well said.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,234
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

Actually in the world of the USA of Trump, the Brazil of Bolsonaro, the Australia of Scott Morrison, the India of Modi, the Italy of Salvini, the Russia of Putin, the Israel of Netanyahu, Brexit and Boris are merely parts of a global trend in favour of reclaiming national sovereignty.

Apart from maybe Trudeau and Macron are there any other 'cool' leaders around at the moment? Assuming 'cool' requires you to be a telegenic liberal anyway
    Unfortunately in Putin's case, it's reclaiming national sovereignty from neighbouring countries... :)
    Totally O/T - Its seems AI can now play elite level ring game NL Holdem (previously it was showed they computers are better than humans at Heads-Up).

Facebook AI Pluribus defeats top poker professionals in 6-player Texas Hold ’em

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/07/facebook-ai-pluribus-defeats-top-poker-professionals-in-6-player-texas-holdem/

Although quite a lot of humans they used in the study definitely aren't the elite of the elite, they did have the #1 rated player in the world...
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    Cyclefree said:

Well, there has been some anti-LGBT stuff going on, some of it in Labour constituencies. And Corbyn has been remarkably quiet about it. Though Roger Godsiff MP was ticked off by the party for siding with the anti-LGBT mob.
    Tbf though, Jess Phillips has been vocal, as have others. And Birmingham City Council have been steadfast in standing by the school leadership.
    AndyJS said:

I want them to find not just the leaker but all the people involved.
    AndyJS said:

My wallet is hoping it is Boris himself :lol:
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    The Trump White House, making British politics look good:

https://twitter.com/adamparkhomenko/status/1149439650399997952?s=21

Its like the media never ever mentions them....Isn't about 50% of CNNs and Fox News content based on whatever Twitter spasm he has had that day?
    HYUFD said:

Any sort of election on a parish council is a rare thing in most places that have parish councils. In fact they often struggle to fill the places available.
    edited July 2019

The Trump White House, making British politics look good:

twitter.com/adamparkhomenko/status/1149439650399997952?s=21

Its LARPing for twitter types.
    dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, there has been some anti-LGBT stuff going on, some of it in Labour constituencies. And Corbyn has been remarkably quiet about it. Though Roger Godsiff MP was ticked off by the party for siding with the anti-LGBT mob.
    Tbf though, Jess Phillips has been vocal, as have others. And Birmingham City Council have been steadfast in standing by the school leadership.
    Yes, Jess has been good. Ministers have been less good. Where has our female Equalities Minister been?
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

One Luciana Berger.

I know devote a lot of time to volunteering for a new text-based Crisis support service called Shout. I see at first hand the devastation that mental health issues are causing around the UK. So you are absolutely right to call these Labour members/supporters/outriders scum for what they have said.

We need to do a huge amount more to address the MH crisis in our communities. Comments such as we have heard today make the lives of the people I work with harder.

In many ways, scum isn't strong enough. They are beneath scum. Scum wouldn't sully itself by treading on these hateful, ignorant individuals.
    Odd.

Bastani just posted and then deleted two tweets very suddenly. One was about outriders.
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

3 judges clearly felt the law enabled them them to come to a different view, as the US Supreme Court has shown which judges are appointed to the highest court can make a big difference as to how they interpret the law

I honestly don't even know what the hell you are talking about anymore. You think the judiciary, as part of the remainer establishment, is seeking to prevent Brexit. That is the point that you made, and which was being objected to. That some judges came to a different view than the majority is not contested by anyone, and yet you are acting like it is some devasting trump card that proves your point.

Yes, they did think that. Maybe they are right, what the hell do I know about constitutional law? But the majority did not agree, and unless you have something other than your gut feeling that the rest are incredibly unprofessional, you have nothing to back up the implication that they came to their view because they must be remainers who want to stop Brexit.

What gives you reason to suspect the Supreme Court allowed personal politics to determine their judgement in that case? You must think so, it is the only thing you have cited as your evidence that the judiciary is part of a concerted establishment effort to prevent Brexit. And yet they must be very ineffective at it, since their ruling was that Parliament was free to make any choice it wanted re A50, which it then did.

You have successfully frustrated me to exhaustion, but please, please can you explain why you think the Court's decision is part of of remainer effort to block Brexit? No, that 3 justices thought the government was correct does not mean the rest did not do their jobs properly because of their personal politics, which you also might be wrong about unless you have proof that all of them are remainers.

So where is your confidence that they are so unprofessional coming from? Do you assume the three justices who dissented are all leavers? Why would that be the case? Why must the others be remainers?

Not everything is about remainers and leavers. As someone who has changed his mind on the subject, I don't know why you have a hard time accepting people are also capable of acting without taking into account their personal view.
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, Jess has been good. Ministers have been less good. Where has our female Equalities Minister been?
    Damian Hinds has called for "unacceptable protests to stop."
    Actual practical action from the Education Minister is less visible.
    Dawn Foster seems to be suddenly point person for fighting off AS claims against Labour.

No sign of an actual Labour shad minister.

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

I’m not looking for a cool leader but a sane sensible one !

Putin is blowing a ridiculous amount of the country’s GDP on defence , Trump is by any standard a corrupt politician trashing the environment and trying to destroy NATO and the EU , Salvini is a Putin puppet , Bolsonaro is a homophobe and misogynist who shouts I’ll clear up corruption but is mired in it , Netanyahu is another corrupt politician , stealing more land from the Palestinians .

They’re not reclaiming national sovereignty but peddling division and hate . They’re busy putting up scapegoats and herding clearly enough stupid people to follow them .

This national sovereignty argument is to be blunt not up to much and doesn’t stand up to scrutiny .

edited July 2019
    AndyJS said:
    Is it scarier that he believes everything he writes, and that so far it has led him to success, or that he knows it is nonsense, and that it has so far led him to success?

I struggle to be objective with Trump. He is so odious a personality I don't know how I could get past that to consider where he might even be doing a good job.
    edited July 2019
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I honestly don't even know what the hell you are talking about anymore. You think the judiciary, as part of the remainer establishment, is seeking to prevent Brexit. That is the point that you made, and which was being objected to. That some judges came to a different view than the majority is not contested by anyone, and yet you are acting like it is some devasting trump card that proves your point.

Yes, they did think that. Maybe they are right, what the hell do I know about constitutional law? But the majority did not agree, and unless you have something other than your gut feeling that the rest are incredibly unprofessional, you have nothing to back up the implication that they came to their view because they must be remainers who want to stop Brexit.

What gives you reason to suspect the Supreme Court allowed personal politics to determine their judgement in that case? You must think so, it is the only thing you have cited as your evidence that the judiciary is part of a concerted establishment effort to prevent Brexit. And yet they must be very ineffective at it, since their ruling was that Parliament was free to make any choice it wanted re A50, which it then did.

You have successfully frustrated me to exhaustion, but please, please can you explain why you think the Court's decision is part of of remainer effort to block Brexit? No, that 3 justices thought the government was correct does not mean the rest did not do their jobs properly because of their personal politics, which you also might be wrong about unless you have proof that all of them are remainers.

So where is your confidence that they are so unprofessional coming from? Do you assume the three justices who dissented are all leavers? Why would that be the case? Why must the others be remainers?

Not everything is about remainers and leavers. As someone who has changed his mind on the subject, I don't know why you have a hard time accepting people are also capable of acting without taking into account their personal view.
    The 3 dissenters disagreed on the royal prerogative point, had the other justices accepted that argument May could have signed and agreed the Withdrawal Agreement without the need for Parliamentary ratification and we would already have Brexited by now.

Constitutional law is frequently a matter of interpretation which is why US Presidents try to ensure they appoint US Supreme Court Justices who will interpret it in a conservative or left liberal direction depending on whether they are a Republican or a Democrat
    dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

A widely publicised speech based on my header would be some help. A strong message needs to be sent out - not just to the protestors - but to others and to teachers and to those for whom these courses are designed, those who are on the receiving end of bullying and bigotry. They need to know that the government is on their side.

And then there needs to be practical action: help re security / re court action / re support for teachers under stress / money etc.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

One Luciana Berger.

Ken Clarke for PM+1?
    Without the consent of the party leaders which won't be forthcoming from either party that is only possible if hundreds of MPs defect from the Tories and defect from Labour.

How many do you think are going to defect from the Tories and how many from Labour?
    I don't think that's true.

The Government of National Asking For An Extension (GoNAFAE) would create a PM whose sole job was to ask for a 12 month extension, and would then dissolve itself.

It would happen through a VoNC. And Jeremy Corbyn would presumably be happy with someone else being PM for 15 minutes because he got an election out of it.

And if I was Boris J, I'd probably be quite keen on it too. Someone else would get the blame for postponing Brexit, and I'd get to sweep up the Brexit Party votes in the subsequent election.
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Any sort of election on a parish council is a rare thing in most places that have parish councils. In fact they often struggle to fill the places available.
    Most tend to be independent (though town councils are more party political) but in this case the LDs were trying to use it as a launch pad for the district seat next year
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:
    Is it scarier that he believes everything he writes, and that so far it has led him to success, or that he knows it is nonsense, and that it has so far led him to success?

I struggle to be objective with Trump. He is so odious a personality I don't know how I could get past that to consider where he might even be doing a good job.
    He appears to be planning for the complete ending of the newspaper and main stream media world, and for an end to social media.

Might as well just call it the dark ages.

I suppose there will be some monks somewhere in FL who are illuminating one of his speeches.
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

He absolutely believes everything he writes. But what he believes changes with the last person who blew smoke up his arse. Except that he is always right. Even if he just contradicted himself.
    He is an uber narcissist.
    Which makes him such a difficult opponent to pin down.

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

He appears to be planning for the complete ending of the newspaper and main stream media world, and for an end to social media.

Might as well just call it the dark ages.

I suppose there will be some monks somewhere in FL who are illuminating one of his speeches.
    No, that is what he said would happen under a Democratic President

Its like the media never ever mentions them....Isn't about 50% of CNNs and Fox News content based on whatever Twitter spasm he has had that day?
    50%! PATHETIC!!! Stalin would have touched 98% on a day when he was asleep in his dacha.
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

Putin is blowing a ridiculous amount of the country’s GDP on defence , Trump is by any standard a corrupt politician trashing the environment and trying to destroy NATO and the EU , Salvini is a Putin puppet , Bolsonaro is a homophobe and misogynist who shouts I’ll clear up corruption but is mired in it , Netanyahu is another corrupt politician , stealing more land from the Palestinians .

They’re not reclaiming national sovereignty but peddling division and hate . They’re busy putting up scapegoats and herding clearly enough stupid people to follow them .

This national sovereignty argument is to be blunt not up to much and doesn’t stand up to scrutiny .

I think the point is that a number of corrupt politicians use national sovereignty as a flag to cover themselves, and to avoid scrutiny.

THAT BEING SAID, Trudeau also behaved in a poor way, so let's not pretend that liberal means blame free.
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

One Luciana Berger.

Ken Clarke for PM+1?

The Government of National Asking For An Extension (GoNAFAE) would create a PM whose sole job was to ask for a 12 month extension, and would then dissolve itself.

It would happen through a VoNC. And Jeremy Corbyn would presumably be happy with someone else being PM for 15 minutes because he got an election out of it.

And if I was Boris J, I'd probably be quite keen on it too. Someone else would get the blame for postponing Brexit, and I'd get to sweep up the Brexit Party votes in the subsequent election.
    Not sure the Boris ego could cope with losing a VoNC even if for 15 mins.*

* Actually would have to be half a day practically at least. One has to meet the Queen and then drive back before drafting the extension letter.
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

A widely publicised speech based on my header would be some help. A strong message needs to be sent out - not just to the protestors - but to others and to teachers and to those for whom these courses are designed, those who are on the receiving end of bullying and bigotry. They need to know that the government is on their side.

And then there needs to be practical action: help re security / re court action / re support for teachers under stress / money etc.
    Ironically, of course, these are not LGBT lessons, as widely portrayed, but anti-bullying programmes.
    That a section of the population who disproportionately suffer from prejudice and hate crime are virulently objecting to them is also ironic.
    Alanis Morrisette could update her song.
    HYUFD said:
    Has someone not told him about the First Amendment?
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Here you go. Here are three good things about Trump:

1. Some of his changes to the US tax code, such as the abolition of the tax breaks around carried interest
    2. His quest to lower drug costs
    3. He has been less willing to go to war

I could add a dozen more.

I could add roughly 2,000 negatives, however.

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

One Luciana Berger.

Ken Clarke for PM+1?

Not sure the Boris ego could cope with losing a VoNC even if for 15 mins.*

* Actually would have to be half a day practically at least. One has to meet the Queen and then drive back before drafting the extension letter.
    I think Boris would love an election after losing a VONC, 'Vote Boris to deliver Brexit and the will of the people, or vote Labour or LD to continue to block the will of the people!'
    HYUFD said:
    Freedom is the government telling websites what they have to publish?

I think that's been done before...
    edited July 2019
    It’s unvelievable how some of the public were duped into believing the judges in the Gina Miller case were in some conspiracy to stop Brexit .

Indeed whilst the right wing press were busy slating the judges as enemies of the people their decision was indeed a massive victory for the people .

Amazingly many of their readers were freaking out when the judges stopped their rights being flushed away .

We’ve seen this with the right wings constant attacks on the ECHR , the convention will be the next to go as the right wing coup completes its take over of the UK .

If the SC hadn’t upheld the lower courts decision this would have set a precedent. In effect a minister of the Crown could remove UK citizens rights under the Royal Perogative .

This was in a nutshell what the GM case boiled down to .

The issue at hand , could the RP be used in a way in which there would be an abrogation of rights . By triggering Article 50 the end point is that happens.

That’s why the SC found it had to go to Parliament and MPs had to have a vote . The judges dissection of the government case was brilliant , the questions they asked , the previous case law .

It was fascinating reading the daily transcripts , I never thought it could be that interesting . It really opened my eyes to just how incredible some of these QCs are .

Lord Pannick was superb . Utterly brilliant in how he fought the case .
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

One Luciana Berger.

Ken Clarke for PM+1?

If I was Corbyn I would say to Parliament that I am the legitimate alternative to Boris and if Messrs.Clarke.etc want an extension they need to make me PM. If they dont they can wait 13 days then we have an election.

Corbyn gets an election in one scenario, or becomes PM then probably gets an election but as PM in the other.

Given very few Tories want an extension if he holds the line he can block any alternative.
    HYUFD said:

I think Boris would love an election after losing a VONC, 'Vote Boris to deliver Brexit and the will of the people, or vote Labour or LD to continue to block the will of the people!'

He also gets an extension (that he's not responsible for) during which he can negotiate. It's win win for Boris.

So long as the Conservatives win the election, of course. If they do not, then it will look spectacularly foolish.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

The fact that even although she was not a politician but a Civil Servant she had the actual responsibility for running her department whose failings resulted in the unnecessary death of a child (as determined by an independent inquiry). It is an example of why I disagree with @Cyclefree. Civil servants who screw up should not hide behind Ministers taking responsibility, they should be held accountable themselves. If that requires giving them opportunities to defend themselves and their actions I have no problem with that. Ministerial responsibility for things that the Minister is not in fact responsible for is just silly and outdated.
    I haven't said that civil servants should not be accountable for their actions. Shoosmith should have been disciplined.

But Ministers should still bear ultimate responsibility for their departments.

It's not either/or.
    Well let's take your example. Was Carrington right to resign? No he wasn't. Was the government improved by his absence? Certainly not. Was this leadership? No, it was in fact an abrogation of responsibility when his country was going into a difficult war where it urgently needed all the allies it could get.

Carrington did what he did because he had a strong sense of honour and he was an honourable man. But he was wrong. I have no problem with the fact that this anachronism which I studied decades ago (before Carrington's resignation actually) has fallen into desuetude. It is silly.
    One of the strengths of a society based on strong institutions is that they do not require specific individuals to function effectively, but can survive and thrive even with the loss of key individuals.

What Carrington did was to strengthen the institutions by demonstrating that they were more important than him. The example shown by present-day politicians is that they are more important than the institution. This has a corrosive effect on everyone else involved, who is encouraged to also put themself before the institution.

Carrington, of course, is no longer with us. But the institutions endure. This is why they must always come first.
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

He also gets an extension (that he's not responsible for) during which he can negotiate. It's win win for Boris.

So long as the Conservatives win the election, of course. If they do not, then it will look spectacularly foolish.
    Better a good system than a great person.

It's a lesson we all need to learn.
    rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

I think the point is that a number of corrupt politicians use national sovereignty as a flag to cover themselves, and to avoid scrutiny.

THAT BEING SAID, Trudeau also behaved in a poor way, so let's not pretend that liberal means blame free.
    Agreed . I’m not defending Trudeau or Macron , they’ve made some bad decisions but they’ve not scapegoated sections of the community and aren’t peddling nationalism as a cure all for their countries problems .

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

One Luciana Berger.

Ken Clarke for PM+1?

If I was Corbyn I would say to Parliament that I am the legitimate alternative to Boris and if Messrs.Clarke.etc want an extension they need to make me PM. If they dont they can wait 13 days then we have an election.

Corbyn gets an election in one scenario, or becomes PM then probably gets an election but as PM in the other.

Given very few Tories want an extension if he holds the line he can block any alternative.
    Sure: but the GoNAFAE might be needed to get an extension asap, rather than waiting eight weeks for a new government.
    edited July 2019
    "IS wife and her children must be repatriated, rules German court"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48958644
    Lord Ashcroft endorses Jeremy Hunt, perhaps a surprising choice though he says he can certainly see Boris in the job cheering us up
    https://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2019/07/lord-ashcroft-my-choice-for-the-next-prime-minister.html
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

If Hillary Clinton had just kept her mouth shut in the run up to the election, we wouldn't be in this position with Trump. Still can't believe her "25% of voters are deplorables" comment. (I've paraphrased it a bit).
    I think there’s some confusion re Gina Miller .

The meaningful vote was not the result of that case . All her case was in relation to Article 50.

It was a cross party amendment to the WA that lead to the MV. Indeed much of the chaos we see now is because MPs didn’t put restrictions on the Article 50 process .

They could have installed checks and balances at that point . They were of course under a lot of pressure with the press peddling the enemies of the people etc but once again as with the original EU ref bill they simply didn’t think of how things might transpire .
  • ViceroyViceroy Posts: 128
    edited July 2019
    Viceroy of Orange here.

Can anyone explain why, suddenly last night, I was unable to post and still am unable to post on this forum with my original account? It won't allow me to quote or post.

Are all views not welcome on here?
    edited July 2019
    Viceroy said:

Viceroy of Orange here.

Can anyone explain why, suddenly last night, I was unable to post and still am unable to post on this forum with my original account? It won't allow me to quote or post.

You're not shown as banned in the system

Edit to add: I'm happy to ban you if that will help you feel persecuted.
    'The Herald reports that Jeremy Hunt has called on Boris Johnson to ‘draw a line under devolution’ and rule out any new tax powers for the Scottish Parliament, in the same week that he himself pledged not to approve a second referendum on Scottish independence even in the event of a separatist majority at the 2021 Holyrood elections.
    Amidst reports that the underdog is hoping to run up a “big win” north of the border, where local Tories are reportedly deeply wary of what a Johnson premiership might been for their political recovery, a story resurfaced that Johnson once asked Nicola Sturgeon if full fiscal autonomy – a confederal arrangement wherein Scotland would have its own Treasury – would “buy off” the SNP.'
    https://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2019/07/henry-hill-westminster-legislating-for-northern-ireland-sets-a-useful-precedent-for-the-dup.html
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17755451.jeremy-hunt-calls-boris-johnson-rule-tax-powers-holyrood/
    rcs1000 said:

Viceroy said:

Viceroy of Orange here.

What do you think it could be then? I logged in, logged out. It shows my profile picture and the text box, but just won't quote or allow any posts.

Appreciate the help btw.
    Viceroy said:

rcs1000 said:

Viceroy said:

Viceroy of Orange here.

What do you think it could be then? I logged in, logged out. It shows my profile picture and the text box, but just won't quote or allow any posts.

Appreciate the help btw.
    No problem.

If you want to see if you're banned, then look up one of your old posts. If your picture is replaced with "User Banned. Carry On" then you know you've been banned.

Otherwise, it's probably Vanilla being odd. Are you using a different computer or a VPN? They seem to occasionally throw things off.
    HYUFD said:

Lord Ashcroft endorses Jeremy Hunt, perhaps a surprising choice though he says he can certainly see Boris in the job cheering us up
    https://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2019/07/lord-ashcroft-my-choice-for-the-next-prime-minister.html

Won't be cheering me up.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Better a good system than a great person.

It's a lesson we all need to learn.
    I'm pretty sure up until quite recently a great many people said that we (the UK) did have a good system, the best in the world some said.
    rcs1000 said:

Viceroy said:

rcs1000 said:

Viceroy said:

Viceroy of Orange here.

Appreciate the help btw.
    No problem.

If you want to see if you're banned, then look up one of your old posts. If your picture is replaced with "User Banned. Carry On" then you know you've been banned.

Otherwise, it's probably Vanilla being odd. Are you using a different computer or a VPN? They seem to occasionally throw things off.
    I use IE for this website instead of Google because I had all problems, but was working fine until last night. I might play around with it tomorrow and try wiping cookies, history etc. At least I know it isn't a ban then. Thanks!
    Viceroy said:

rcs1000 said:

Viceroy said:

rcs1000 said:

Viceroy said:

Viceroy of Orange here.

Appreciate the help btw.
    No problem.

I use IE for this website instead of Google because I had all problems, but was working fine until last night. I might play around with it tomorrow and try wiping cookies, history etc. At least I know it isn't a ban then. Thanks!
    IE....what are you running Windows XP?
    Viceroy said:

rcs1000 said:

Viceroy said:

rcs1000 said:

Viceroy said:

Viceroy of Orange here.

Appreciate the help btw.
    No problem.

I actually need to replace Vanilla, 'cause it's annoying as hell. But I have actual work to do, so I don't tend to get around to it.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

The Tory majority in Chigwell Row has reduced by nearly 75% and @HYUFD is happy.

Dodgy maths there.

If a seat is held with a majority of 4 one election then held again with a majority of 1 I wouldn't say that was a bad result reducing the majority by 75%.
    Not so!. He did not say 'swing' but 'reduced majority'. If majority falls from circa 200 to circa 50 that is 75% in vote terms - though possibly smaller in terms of vote share.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

Given Ashcroft has worked closely with Tory leaders n the past maybe he thinks Johnson is not up to the job of PM. When you go to the dentist or doctor, do you want someone who makes you laugh or someone to seriously deal with the problem? Boris is an idiot who prefers to indulge in levity rather than substance....

HYUFD said:

Given Ashcroft has worked closely with Tory leaders n the past maybe he thinks Johnson is not up to the job of PM. When you go to the dentist or doctor, do you want someone who makes you laugh or someone to seriously deal with the problem? Boris is an idiot who prefers to indulge in levity rather than substance....
    Sounds pretty much like an advert for Theresa May as PM and we all know how that worked out, the Tories now need a leader who believes in Brexit and can deliver it in my view and win an election, that means Boris
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds pretty much like an advert for Theresa May as PM and we all know how that worked out, the Tories now need a leader who believes in Brexit and can deliver it in my view and win an election, that means Boris
    I am sorry but Boris is a complete fool. I will not vote Tory whilst that cretin is leader! I really cannot understand what you see in him. Bonkers...
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am sorry but Boris is a complete fool. I will not vote Tory whilst that cretin is leader! I really cannot understand what you see in him. Bonkers...
    Knocking up tonight I had several former Tory Party voters now voting Brexit Party who said they would only consider coming back to the party nationally if Boris becomes leader, I did not find any Tory or ex Tory voters saying they were desperate for Hunt to become leader.

It is as simple as that
    That is a truly spectacular result. The kind that has become run of the mill lately.
    dixiedean said:

That is a truly spectacular result. The kind that has become run of the mill lately.
    We saw off the LDs tonight in Chigwell Row though
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited July 2019
    https://twitter.com/emmadentcoad/status/1149436484350558210

A member of the NEC has asked if Watson should consider his position as well. Nasty piece of work, glad he is getting called out.

Edit: Congrats on your (one you helped in) result HYUFD
    "Riding high
    America’s expansion is now the longest on record
    What could bring it to an end?"

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2019/07/11/americas-expansion-is-now-the-longest-on-record
    rcs1000 said:

Sure: but the GoNAFAE might be needed to get an extension asap, rather than waiting eight weeks for a new government.

It could be but unless MPs are prepared to defect Corbyn can veto it. If Clarke etc are desperate to get an extension are they desperate enough to make Corbyn PM to.get it? If I was Corbyn that would be my price.

Otherwise we have eight week delay of a Tory government collapse and an election.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Leading from the rear.....days late:

https://twitter.com/ReutersUK/status/1149477613859004416
    justin124 said:

Dodgy maths there.

Not so!. He did not say 'swing' but 'reduced majority'. If majority falls from circa 200 to circa 50 that is 75% in vote terms - though possibly smaller in terms of vote share.
    Yes and I was saying reduced majority is a meaningless phrase which is why we normally speak about swing.

rcs1000 said:

It could be but unless MPs are prepared to defect Corbyn can veto it. If Clarke etc are desperate to get an extension are they desperate enough to make Corbyn PM to.get it? If I was Corbyn that would be my price.

Otherwise we have eight week delay of a Tory government collapse and an election.
    Corbyn could veto it, of course. But maybe he'd prefer that he became PM with an extension, rather than in the immediate aftermath of No Deal. Because if Boris were to be VoNCed on 10 September, then the only way to avoid No Deal on 31 October would be a temporary GoNAFAE.

(And I reckon that Boris, as I said earlier, would be secretly pleased too. He'd love to have an extension so long as he could lay the blame elewhere. And any extension he got would allow him to negotiate from a position of greater strength, having proven he's OK with No Deal. Finally, under this circumstance, you'd reckon that the Tories would sweep up the Brexit Party vote. So while Boris would clearly have to oppose a GoNAFAE... it might be convenient for him if it were to get in by a vote or two.)
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Corbyn could veto it, of course. But maybe he'd prefer that he became PM with an extension, rather than in the immediate aftermath of No Deal. Because if Boris were to be VoNCed on 10 September, then the only way to avoid No Deal on 31 October would be a temporary GoNAFAE.

(And I reckon that Boris, as I said earlier, would be secretly pleased too. He'd love to have an extension so long as he could lay the blame elewhere. And any extension he got would allow him to negotiate from a position of greater strength, having proven he's OK with No Deal. Finally, under this circumstance, you'd reckon that the Tories would sweep up the Brexit Party vote. So while Boris would clearly have to oppose a GoNAFAE... it might be convenient for him if it were to get in by a vote or two.)
    The alternative, of course, is that Corbyn proposes a GoNAFAE but with him as interim PM. This way he gets his election, but with him in Number 10 during the process.
  • MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    HYUFD said:

<

I'm glad you are finally admitting that these proto-fascists all belong together, and that Brexit and Johnson are part and parcel.

May we act more vigilantly than we did in the 30s.
This discussion has been closed.