Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The threat to Obamacare, not Trump’s Tweets and tantrums, coul

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

It's interesting how so many people today are in favour of mind-altering drugs being legalised but are against free speech in case it offends people. I find that combination puzzling.

I found interesting the report the other day that US states that have legalised cannabis have seen a 10% reduction in underage young people taking the drug.

Licensed and legal outlets puts drug dealers out of business and while legal outlets have to ask for ID, drug dealers don't.
    I would love to see a link to that if you have it.
    Study is here I think (I was also interested): https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/2737637?guestAccessKey=5e4e41eb-ec96-4641-86f9-b5c89cc7cc48&utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_content=tfl&utm_term=070819
    Many thanks.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

It's interesting how so many people today are in favour of mind-altering drugs being legalised but are against free speech in case it offends people. I find that combination puzzling.

I found interesting the report the other day that US states that have legalised cannabis have seen a 10% reduction in underage young people taking the drug.

Licensed and legal outlets puts drug dealers out of business and while legal outlets have to ask for ID, drug dealers don't.
    Here's the CNN report on the journal: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/08/health/recreational-marijuana-laws-teens-study/index.html
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    kinabalu said:

felix said:

There is nothing to be guilty of in sending your child to a private school. There is a suggestion of hypocrisy however if you simultaneosly claim you want to abolish them. It's the old Labour mantra 'do as I say not as I do'.

To hold the view that the private option should not be available but send your own child private is to place the welfare of your child above your political principles.

It is harsh and unfair to describe this as hypocrisy.

However, if you send your child private but attack others for doing the same, that IS hypocrisy.
    While if you send your child private while attacking others for having been sent to private school themselves (something they had no control over) that is even worse hypocrisy.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    edited July 2019
    someone beat me to it..
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Nigelb said:
    What'll help Trump in Florida is Broward county being unable to count their heavily Dem leaning ballots within a month of sundays.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,959
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DavidL said:

» show previous quotes
    What did you get? I had had a series of A4s and their cost seemed to have gone from about £22k to £30k+. Nice cars but not worth that. It seemed to reflect the exchange rate changes more than general inflation though.

It was a Q5 S Line TDI40, took all the bells & whistles , everything but sunroof. Very nice to drive and can potter along on soft suspension or in sports mode etc. The auto DSG box is incredible.

Wow. That's quite a few turnips! Congratulations.
    It was indeed, I thought I would treat myself. Thank you.
    Hm, has I known turnip farming was so lucrative, I would have taken a different path in my life :o
    :)
  • Options

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Here's the CNN report on the journal: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/08/health/recreational-marijuana-laws-teens-study/index.html
    Thanks Philip, that gives interesting context.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    Dadge said:

AndyJS said:

felix said:

There is nothing to be guilty of in sending your child to a private school. There is a suggestion of hypocrisy however if you simultaneosly claim you want to abolish them. It's the old Labour mantra 'do as I say not as I do'.

I don't think it's at all hypocritical to say "The system loads the dice in favour of people whose families do X. Like everyone else I'll try to make sure my family doesn't lose out, but I think the system is wrong." The same applies to someone whose spouse is facing a 2-year waiting list for a hip replacement - they may (as Denis Healey did) say OK, I'll pay for you to go private, but that doesn't mean they suddenly think 2-year waiting lists are a good thing.

The case is a little stronger when it comes to oneself - I've declined to have private medical treatment when something arose for that reason. But I don't think we should ask our families in the present be hostage to what we believe the future ought to be like.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I think if someones says private schools are wrong, they shouldn't send their own children to one.
    I lean more to KInabalu's view than yours. One's own principles should come second to the welfare of one's children/family. Although I'm in favour of community schooling, we have grammar schools here and I was happy to apply for a place for our daughter.

Another example is veganism: vegans shouldn't stop their children eating meat.
    But that's the problem: you can go against your principles because *reasons*, yet you want others (who may not share those principles) to suffer the effects of those principles and not to be able to make that choice.

In other words: you are putting your family first (and fair enough). But you want to stop others from making exactly the same choice. Because ... reasons.

Actually, it's because people who do this instinctively think they're better than other people, and are therefore worthy of it. After all., they have 'principles'.

(By 'you', I don't mean you specifically, but someone in that situation.)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

Dadge said:

AndyJS said:

felix said:

I don't think it's at all hypocritical to say "The system loads the dice in favour of people whose families do X. Like everyone else I'll try to make sure my family doesn't lose out, but I think the system is wrong." The same applies to someone whose spouse is facing a 2-year waiting list for a hip replacement - they may (as Denis Healey did) say OK, I'll pay for you to go private, but that doesn't mean they suddenly think 2-year waiting lists are a good thing.

The case is a little stronger when it comes to oneself - I've declined to have private medical treatment when something arose for that reason. But I don't think we should ask our families in the present be hostage to what we believe the future ought to be like.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I think if someones says private schools are wrong, they shouldn't send their own children to one.
    I lean more to KInabalu's view than yours. One's own principles should come second to the welfare of one's children/family. Although I'm in favour of community schooling, we have grammar schools here and I was happy to apply for a place for our daughter.

But that's the problem: you can go against your principles because *reasons*, yet you want others (who may not share those principles) to suffer the effects of those principles and not to be able to make that choice.

In other words: you are putting your family first (and fair enough). But you want to stop others from making exactly the same choice. Because ... reasons.

Actually, it's because people who do this instinctively think they're better than other people, and are therefore worthy of it. After all., they have 'principles'.

Emma Thompson, for example.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2019
    "A senior Northern Ireland civil servant was paid £10,000 in compensation because he was offended at having to walk past portraits of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, it has emerged."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/12/northern-irish-civil-servant-paid-10000-claiming-offence-walking
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

PClipp said:

On Bridlington, clearly it's a poor result for both Labour and the Conservatives, and a very impressive one for the Lib Dems.
    But I would be wary of inferring too much from the swings which (a) are from May 2019 - how much has genuinely changed since then? and (b) are based on a three-seat election in which there were just 3 Conservative candidates and 1 Labour one, which would tend to inflate the Conservatives vote above and beyond, as they will have picked up some Labour "second preferences". And of course, there was no Lib Dem candidate at all.May 2019 result

Con 2101
    Con 2050
    Con 1929
    Lab 855

Yesterday's by-election

Lib Dem 1308
    Con 815
    UKIP 349
    Yorks 196
    Lab 135
    Ind 125
    Ind 76
    Ind 58

If we're going to look at local by-elections for a steer (and I think we should) we have to do so intelligently, and by looking at aggregate trends, not the seemingly startling outliers.

All this morning we have heard from Conservative posters telling other Conservative posters that they ought to go off an join the Lib Dems. I expect that, somehow, the good electors of Bridlington were just one day head of that good advice.
    I think it’s clear that the voters are way ahead of the politicians at the moment. Yesterday’s Bridlington by-election result above is evidence for that.

Blue on blue catfights are just going to drive even more voters towards the Lib Dems, the natural home for most disaffected Tories.
    And for disaffected Labourites too.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,189

Hypocrisy, noun:
    "the practice of claiming to have higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case."

That fits exactly what you wrote in your first paragraph.

That is not what is happening in my scenario.

You believe the private option should not exist because (IYO) it benefits a small minority at the expense of the majority. That is a political opinion. It does not mean you are claiming to have higher standards than you actually have. Not at all.

You are then (for example) faced with a choice between a bad state school and a good private one for your child.

(i) You go state, prioritizing your political views over the welfare of your child?

(ii) Or you go private, prioritizing your child's welfare over your politics?

The 1st might be very noble - although some would say it is not particularly admirable to sacrifice your child's welfare on the altar of your politics - but the 2nd cannot fairly or accurately be described as hypocritical.

Hypocritical is as per the example I gave. If you criticize others for going private but then do so yourself. THAT is hypocritical.

This also accords with your definition - since in that case you would indeed be claiming to be morally superior to others (via your criticism of them) whilst your actions give the lie to it.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"A senior Northern Ireland civil servant was paid £10,000 in compensation because he was offended at having to walk past portraits of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, it has emerged."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/12/northern-irish-civil-servant-paid-10000-claiming-offence-walking

There was an interesting debate on @Cyclefree's thread about when it is appropriate for a politician to resign. Signing off on a payment like that seems a pretty good example to me.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    HYUFD said:

Given the LDs were the only unequivocally anti Brexit and pro Remain in all circumstances party who stood in that ward in Bridlington, 57% of the voters in that ward did not vote for an anti Brexit Party

Just saw this on the previous thread. For those who missed it it's a keeper.....

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

felix said:

With this debate, which surfaces every few years, if not months, when some Labour MP or other sends their kid to private school, I find it more enlightening to ask the individual what is so wrong with private education that they object to it on principle?

i.e. what is the nature of the principle.

It is clearly isn't a horrendously deep moral principle since in that case they wouldn't consider for a moment sending their child to private school.

Unless the child wanted to go to that school. Then we open a whole other barrel of issues.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DavidL said:

» show previous quotes
    What did you get? I had had a series of A4s and their cost seemed to have gone from about £22k to £30k+. Nice cars but not worth that. It seemed to reflect the exchange rate changes more than general inflation though.

It was a Q5 S Line TDI40, took all the bells & whistles , everything but sunroof. Very nice to drive and can potter along on soft suspension or in sports mode etc. The auto DSG box is incredible.

Wow. That's quite a few turnips! Congratulations.
    It was indeed, I thought I would treat myself. Thank you.
    Hm, has I known turnip farming was so lucrative, I would have taken a different path in my life :o
    :)
    You clearly don't remember the Turnip Mania of the mid 1990s. Worth more than gold at one point.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Hypocrisy, noun:
    "the practice of claiming to have higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case."

You believe the private option should not exist because (IYO) it benefits a small minority at the expense of the majority. That is a political opinion. It does not mean you are claiming to have higher standards than you actually have. Not at all.

You are then (for example) faced with a choice between a bad state school and a good private one for your child.

(i) You go state, prioritizing your political views over the welfare of your child?

The 1st might be very noble - although some would say it is not particularly admirable to sacrifice your child's welfare on the altar of your politics - but the 2nd cannot fairly or accurately be described as hypocritical.

Hypocritical is as per the example I gave. If you criticize others for going private but then do so yourself. THAT is hypocritical.

This also accords with your definition - since in that case you would indeed be claiming to be morally superior to others (via your criticism of them) whilst your actions give the lie to it.
    A lorra lorra protesting...
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    AndyJS said:

Imagine that I land a job as a City trader paying £750,000 per annum and I think it is deeply wrong that the job - which is a doddle - pays anything like this much.

What should I do to stay in your good books?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    kinabalu said:

Hypocrisy, noun:

But in that scenario, why does *your* child matter more than those of people you want to prevent making that same choice? Why should others be denied the choice you have made?

(As it happens, we're both privately educated (in my case, both private and state), and we're not planning to send the little 'un to a private school.)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Unbelievable Villiers signed off on that and Stephenson recommended she should too. WIll unionists be able to claim compo for walking past McGuinness' picture too ?!
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    kinabalu said:

felix said:

To hold the view that the private option should not be available but send your own child private is to place the welfare of your child above your political principles.

However, if you send your child private but attack others for doing the same, that IS hypocrisy.
    Generally I agree. However, you have to be convinced about the true motivation of the individuals in the specific context.

In the case of Diane Abbott, for example, a hard left winger who you would have thought would have been all for a wealth tax, I could only make sense of her campaign against Ed Miliband's mansion tax policy on the grounds of her own personal political expediency (i.e. seeking favour with some constituents in a constituency with high property prices). I concluded that her own political principles are less deeply held than is apparent and would invariably be trumped by her self interest. Because of that, I am less sympathetic to the educational choices that she made for her children.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Hypocrisy, noun:

But in that scenario, why does *your* child matter more than those of people you want to prevent making that same choice? Why should others be denied the choice you have made?

(As it happens, we're both privately educated (in my case, both private and state), and we're not planning to send the little 'un to a private school.)
    Private schools are much more expensive and state schools superior to when we were young (You're 40ish iirc ?) I think @JosiasJessop.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:

Imagine that I land a job as a City trader paying £750,000 per annum and I think it is deeply wrong that the job - which is a doddle - pays anything like this much.

Resign, if you really, really think it is a moral wrong for such jobs to exist. If you just marvel every day at the absurdity of you getting paid so much money for such a job, then crack on.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:

We should really be arguing a) is it right to call turning state schools into academies privatization and if so b) what should you do to stop it. So the mail raising the fact that he sends his child to a a private school is deliberately muddying the waters.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:

Send me a cheque. Monthly.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    kinabalu said:

Hypocrisy, noun:

That rarely really happens though. School access in the state sector is driven by wealth. If you are in a financial position to pay private school fees you are more than likely on the doorstep of a pretty darn good state school.

"there are no good state schools" is a way of justifying a desire to send your child to a fee paying school.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,530
    edited July 2019
    kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:

That would imo depend on the value you place on the principles you claim to believe in, and on your own integrity. There are plenty of City Traders who manage it.

My view is that words are cheap, and actions are costly. So the latter are a far better basis for judging the worth of an individual than the former.

I find people who benefit from something, then choose to pull the ladder up behind themselves or their children, at best disappointing and perhaps in some ways contemptible.

On Indy Schools, I would love to see some real research into what they do for social mobility; I suspect they do far more than your typical state sector establishments.

But I think that the grip that Oxford Uni Alumni have on political / media power is far more pernicious. What is it - more than three quarters of PMs since the war?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:

We should really be arguing a) is it right to call turning state schools into academies privatization and if so b) what should you do to stop it. So the mail raising the fact that he sends his child to a a private school is deliberately muddying the waters.
    Yes but we're having fun on here of a Friday afternoon so to hell with it.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

kinabalu said:

Hypocrisy, noun:

That rarely really happens though. School access in the state sector is driven by wealth. If you are in a financial position to pay private school fees you are more than likely on the doorstep of a pretty darn good state school.

"there are no good state schools" is a way of justifying a desire to send your child to a fee paying school.
    The corollary of which of course is that you will pay some large proportion of multi-year private school fees in the premium you will have price paid for living next to a good state school.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:

What goods or services would such a job involve trading in ?
  • Options
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:

That would imo depend on the value you place on the principles you claim to believe in, and on your own integrity. There are plenty of City Traders who manage it.

My view is that words are cheap, and actions are costly. So the latter are a far better basis for judging the worth of an individual than the former.

I find people who benefit from something, then choose to pull the ladder up behind themselves or their children, disappointing and perhaps contemptible.

On Indy Schools, I would love to see some real research into what they do for social mobility; I suspect they do far more than your typical state sector establishments.

But I think that the grip that Oxford Uni Alumni have on political / media power is far more pernicious. What is it - more than three quarters of PMs since the war?
    At the Oxford open day last week pretty much every speaker felt the need to apologise for the state of our politics. It was vaguely amusing the first couple of times.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    DavidL said:

MattW said:

kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:

I find people who benefit from something, then choose to pull the ladder up behind themselves or their children, disappointing and perhaps contemptible.

At the Oxford open day last week pretty much every speaker felt the need to apologise for the state of our politics. It was vaguely amusing the first couple of times.
    :-o

What did they say they would do about it?

I don't think pandering to people wanting to demolish statues because of x y or z that happened in 1728 really counts.

I am always impressed with the number of highly intelligent stupid people who manage to make it from Oxford to the media.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    F1: hmm. Gasly topped first practice. Would've got tasty double digit odds on that.
  • Options
    He will say that the Cons need to confirm they will Brexit on 31st Oct to reclaim those BP voters. And he may well be right.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Outlier, clearly. Labour should be in fourth :p
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    So what is the best analysis of why YouGov has Labour sub 20% while every other pollster has them around 26%?
  • Options

Your own child tends to matter more to you than anybody else's. That is human nature.

Why should others be denied the choice? They won't be unless a policy of banning private schools is enacted. In which case it applies to everybody.

This is just a conflict between political view and private interest. It is only hypocrisy of you attack others for doing what you yourself do.

Similar example -

You do not believe in private healthcare but you discover that by paying a few thousand you can get your mother's hip done in 2 weeks rather than 2 years.

So you do it. Hypocritical? No.

However if you slag off others for doing the same - Hypocrite!

The reason that the Hypocrite charge is constantly thrown around by the Right against the Left is because the conflict between political view and private interest arises far more frequently on the Left (for obvious reasons).

But if the 'H' word is used correctly, it is usually a bum rap - for the reasons I have explained.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    TOPPING said:

notme2 said:

kinabalu said:

Hypocrisy, noun:

The corollary of which of course is that you will pay some large proportion of multi-year private school fees in the premium you will have price paid for living next to a good state school.
    Yup.Private school battles are a sideshow. So much gold has been stuffed down the throats of the state school system, like a forced goose. Private schools genuinely dont have the differentials in resources that justify the extra expense except as a means to make 'connections'.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    3% Green is far too low.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

So what is the best analysis of why YouGov has Labour sub 20% while every other pollster has them around 26%?
    Survation is the platinum standard. Everyone knows that. Remember GE2017 ?
  • Options
    MattW said:

DavidL said:

MattW said:

kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:

I don't think pandering to people wanting to demolish statues because of x y or z that happened in 1728 really counts.
    To be honest they seemed pretty smug about that and quite a lot else. We also did LSE and Cambridge in a fun filled week. Cambridge seemed much more laid back in a "we know we are number 1 and we don't have to try that hard" kind of way.

LSE were fun. They have a course on Finance which only costs you your soul but promises enough material rewards to interest my son. There was an excellent chap from Paisley who was head of Maths. He said choose what really interests you because you have the rest of your life to be bored. He was also asked which of their various courses were most likely to allow the selling of said soul. His answer was that you will have a good degree from an excellent University in something that sounds hard. That will be enough.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

A lorra lorra protesting...

Explaining.

And quite well, I think.
  • Options

Dadge said:

Survation had Labour on 23% in the EU elections when they actually got 14%.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Survation had Labour on 24% and the Lib Dems on 12% for the European elections. They seem to have major sampling issues and are not producing useful data on the current realignment.
  • Options

Dadge said:

Survation had Labour on 23% in the EU elections when they actually got 14%.
    Platinum Standard. :D
  • Options
    More importantly, is this a teeny, weeny proto Remain bump ? Maybe, the salami slicing did something.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781

kinabalu said:

Hypocrisy, noun:

Any person that disadvantages their own child for political reasons deserves contempt. If you are able to afford private education, and an objective analysis demonstrates that they would be better off at such an institution (maybe better outcomes, sports or maybe less bullying) it is pretty damning of you as a parent if you deny them that opportunity. It is like saying I won't take my children on holiday as others can't afford it, or I will feed them the same diet as someone on a sink estate. Diane Abbott deserves praise not criticism for doing the best for her kids that she could afford, in spite of the opprobrium she knew she would get for it. It is her only real redeeming point that I can see
  • Options

3% Green is far too low.
    It's as though Survation makes respondents consider the fact that it's a FPTP election and therefore certain votes are effectively wasted. Is the wording of the question different?
  • Options

While if you send your child private while attacking others for having been sent to private school themselves (something they had no control over) that is even worse hypocrisy.

Agreed.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

3% Green is far too low.
    It's as though Survation makes respondents consider the fact that it's a FPTP election and therefore certain votes are effectively wasted. Is the wording of the question different?
    Very good question. No idea!
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    TOPPING said:

nichomar said:

kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:

Yes but we're having fun on here of a Friday afternoon so to hell with it.
    Obviously, time for beer I think although I actually was interested in the answer because I’d never considered an Academy as privatization. Will ask my children.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Clearly the voters liked what they saw on Panorama!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MattW said:

DavidL said:

MattW said:

kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:

To be honest they seemed pretty smug about that and quite a lot else. We also did LSE and Cambridge in a fun filled week. Cambridge seemed much more laid back in a "we know we are number 1 and we don't have to try that hard" kind of way.

LSE were fun. They have a course on Finance which only costs you your soul but promises enough material rewards to interest my son. There was an excellent chap from Paisley who was head of Maths. He said choose what really interests you because you have the rest of your life to be bored. He was also asked which of their various courses were most likely to allow the selling of said soul. His answer was that you will have a good degree from an excellent University in something that sounds hard. That will be enough.
    Clearly LSE. But I am biased.
  • Options
    Labour could be anywhere from being wiped out to a small majority...
  • Options

More importantly, is this a teeny, weeny proto Remain bump ? Maybe, the salami slicing did something.
    It is probably due to the speculation that Mr Thicky was going to be ousted.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,892
    Dadge said:

3% Green is far too low.
    Which is exactly what you want for a GE voting intention poll.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    F1: midfield looking very competitive again. Gasly faster than Verstappen in both sessions. Might do his self-esteem a bit of good.
  • Options

DavidL said:

MattW said:

DavidL said:

MattW said:

kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:

You think souls are overrated?

Seriously how did you find your time there? Mrs L is quite convinced that getting out of London with only 1 stabbing would be a result.
  • Options
    >Yes but we're having fun on here of a Friday afternoon so to hell with it.

OK.

Just having checked, I see that Independent Schools now spend £800m a year on scholarships, bursaries etc.

I wonder whether Independent Schools now do far more for social mobility than State ones.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,314
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MattW said:

DavidL said:

MattW said:

kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:

arters of PMs since the war?

Seriously how did you find your time there? Mrs L is quite convinced that getting out of London with only 1 stabbing would be a result.
    :smile: That really made smile! But seriously, she should stop reading the DM. It's not that bad.

I was born and brought up there and only ever got into two fights, both of which I started myself.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,892
    DavidL said:

There was an excellent chap from Paisley who was head of Maths. He said choose what really interests you because you have the rest of your life to be bored.

I am not head of maths but a prof in maths, and I also avdise young adults to choose the subject that interests them.

In my years I haven't seen many students drop out because they find the course too hard, but I see large numbers of students drop out because they are not interested enough to put any work in. There are many many more students who get a degree lower than "their worth" because they do stick with their course but aren't enthused enough to do good work.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    kinabalu said:

felix said:

Unless you admit your political principles are a load of bollocks I maintain it is rank hypocricy.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:

I would say earn as much as your principles can stand as quickly as possible whilst retaining a modicum of a moral compass. When you have earned enough then do something more "useful" or spiritually rewarding.
    In other words, use your good fortune to help others.
    Problem is, earning large sums of money can easily become an addiction to spending equally large sums of money. Often to no particular purpose.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    tlg86 said:

I said at the time the anti Semitism long running saga has been priced in. It won’t make a blind bit of difference .

Given a choice between a deeply flawed Labour Party and the Tories having completely lost the plot and becoming the gold medal arse lickers of Trump I’ll still be choosing the former, reluctantly .
  • Options
    nichomar said:

AndyJS said:

felix said:

Your actually making the point for me that I tried to make by drawing that conclusion. He doesn’t want to nationalise private schools he wants to stop state schools being privatised through the academy route. The fact the mail can hang the fact that
    the daughter goes to a private school just adds meat to the bone.

Labour would love to have private schools abolished if only they could find a way to do so while sending their little darlings to them.
  • Options

Dadge said:

AndyJS said:

Hm. In the here and now, anyone in the city can make the same choice, and I don't want them not to. Whether it'd be hypocritical if I campaigned for an end to selective education, I don't know. It's surely acceptable to have a view on what might be best for society as a whole that is different from one's view on what is best for one's family among the currently available options. For example, people who love their country are not hypocrites for emigrating.

As it happens, I'm ambivalent about the value of community schooling in cities like ours. Its convenience has various advantages, but it does maintain segregation/ghettoisation which might not be great for the development of community cohesion within the city as a whole. One advantage of the grammar school (and other specialised schools) is that there's a mix of kids from various parts of the city.

As far as principles are concerned, they are overvalued. Inconsistency is a virtue.
  • Options
    Another tournament for Fedjokodal...
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I think he’s calling the helpline ! Lol

The great leader Bozos bounce seems a bit delayed .
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

There was an excellent chap from Paisley who was head of Maths. He said choose what really interests you because you have the rest of your life to be bored.

I am not head of maths but a prof in maths, and I also avdise young adults to choose the subject that interests them.

In my years I haven't seen many students drop out because they find the course too hard, but I see large numbers of students drop out because they are not interested enough to put any work in. There are many many more students who get a degree lower than "their worth" because they do stick with their course but aren't enthused enough to do good work.
    I was a bit that way myself. Law was and is boring. I wish I had studied economic history and intend to treat myself to a degree in that should I ever be able to retire.

What I am looking for is somewhere that he will be happy and fit in reasonably well. Enthusiasm for a course is a good but not necessarily sufficient basis for good performance. Cambridge (and Oxford) both seemed painfully posh with their "formals", their weird family structures and hundreds of year old architecture. Its a long way from Dundee.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

They don't - I think BMG and CR have them lower.
  • Options
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

A lot of voters don't seem to have a problem with anti-semitism, which is less than optimal.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I would say earn as much as your principles can stand as quickly as possible whilst retaining a modicum of a moral compass. When you have earned enough then do something more "useful" or spiritually rewarding.
    In other words, use your good fortune to help others.
    Problem is, earning large sums of money can easily become an addiction to spending equally large sums of money. Often to no particular purpose.

Good advice indeed.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Roger said:

RobD said:

Roger said:

OT. Interesting news on Iran. It's seems the US are trying to provoke war but EU are dead against.and Britain is being caught in the middle. The commentator (a professor specialising in Middle Eastern affairs) suggested the UK under Johnson would have to choose between supporting John Bolton or the EU.

He suggested that Trump expects Johnson to line up behind the US.

So we once again find ourselves as America's favourite poodle and on the wrong side.

The US are trying to provoke war? What do you think Iran are up to, shooting down drones and trying to illegally seize vessels?
    They signed a treaty as did the EU and have reneged on it. If the EU think reneging was wrong but Trump and Bolton are behind it I know where my support would go.
    Sure although Iran has now reneged on the agreement they have with the E.U.

What are your thoughts on Iran trying to hijack a BP tanker yesterday?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Send me a cheque. Monthly.

:smile:

Anyway, this is one of my absolute fave topics, and I so want to plough on - but it is Fed Nad, so to everyone's relief I'm sure ...
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    That it's either irrelevant or wrong, because another poll somewhere (doesn't matter how long ago), or another line of another poll, or an interpretation of this poll or another poll (if you squint and don't think too hard) says what he wants it to say.

Which is that what he wants to happen will be what happens.

And that's enough.
  • Options
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MattW said:

DavidL said:

MattW said:

kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:

Since my LSE days 40 years ago I have lived in London. I am a big city person. So, for me, London is great. But it is for each to decide their own. Of course, Cambridge would be great too. But London is an education too apart from the academic part.
  • Options
  • Options
    This is a good one that will confuse or enrage the politically correct handwringers: https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/07/anglo-saxons-deserve-reparations-for-the-norman-conquest/
  • Options
    “I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one Leaver who repents than over 99 Remainers who have no need of repentance.”​
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

That is an armageddon poll for Ruth Davidson’s team. Fifth place and staring total wipeout in the face. Again.

Not much better for SLab: only Murray would survive.
  • Options

That is an armageddon poll for Ruth Davidson’s team. Fifth place and staring total wipeout in the face. Again.

Subsample? :p
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

A lot of voters don't seem to have a problem with anti-semitism, which is less than optimal.
    That is very regrettable, as is 52% of the population who don't have a problem with xenophobia
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

Yes, maybe. And more generally, yet more proof that being talked about is better than not being talked about. But I must admit I'm a bit surprised and will await another (non-YouGov) poll...
  • Options

Survation had Labour on 24% and the Lib Dems on 12% for the European elections. They seem to have major sampling issues and are not producing useful data on the current realignment.

Having just expressed scepticism, I wouldn't go that far - it's always worth comparing polls with the previous poll from the same company.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    “He actually said some very good things about me.”

https://twitter.com/steven_swinford/status/1149706724506513408?s=21
  • Options

Do you think the trial of Wee Eck will affect ScotNat support? Is Wee Jimmy Krankie still giving him support?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    edited July 2019
    Ah, that condescending lazy crap again. Quite why a handful of loonies believing such things gives licence to senior people to be so lazy and pretend it is the norm I don't know.
  • Options

“He actually said some very good things about me.”

https://twitter.com/steven_swinford/status/1149706724506513408?s=21

Trump must be one of the few people in the world with greater vanity than Boris
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

Ireland won’t look so clever after UK Corporation tax rates are below theirs once the EU have “harmonised” them....
    The British public are not going to vote for a manifesto promising to slash corporation tax rates at the expense of our already crumbling public services.
    First, UK Corporation tax rates are already low. Second, cutting rates can raise more revenue and third we may not need to cut much or at all if the EU forces Ireland up which they’ve been trying to do for years, with the UK robustly defending Ireland’s corner.
    Re corporation tax, in the old days (say around 2000), Ireland had corporation tax of about 15%, while everyone else was between 25% and 40%. It was the massive outlier, and the result of this was that profits ended up flowing towards the Republic.

But the world has changed. Ireland no longer has the lowest rates in the EU*, and almost all countries are below 25% corporate rates now. The EU missed their chance to harmonise corporate tax rates simply because it's not just Ireland they're pushing around now; it's Ireland plus half a dozen others. (Plus harmonisation of corporate tax rates actually requires treaty change.)

It's also worth remembering that moving from 60% taxes to 50% means increases post tax profits by 25%. If, on the other hand, you halve taxes from 15% to 7.5%, then you only increase post tax profits by 9%.

A much bigger issue for the UK in a post-Brexit world is double taxation treaties and withholding taxes. Right now, dividends to parents inside the EU avoid withholding taxes, and subsidiary taxes can be offset against the parent**. In a No Deal scenario, this will have pretty severe impacts on international businesses based in the UK. Now, will it get sorted in time? Yes. But it requires primary legislation to be passed at an individual country level, so it will take time.

* Hungary is 9%, for example
    ** Yes, it's a little more complicated than that
  • Options
    Dadge said:

A good general rule is not to push one's own views on any controversial issue onto one's family. My father, a Conservative, was carefully respectful of my communism as a teenager, contenting himself with saying "Many people share your view - I don't myself, but you mustn't let that influence you." 20 years later, when I was standing for Parliament in his constituency and he asked if I'd be upset if he voted for someone else, I was so pleased to be able to return the compliment and urge him to go with his beliefs.

I expect that if he'd earlier said "stupid boy, I forbid you to express such opinions in my presence", I'd have grown up more intolerant myself.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited July 2019
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Knowledge of economics, particularly inflation, doesn't seem to be too crash hot at British universities according to this:

"Universities told to crack down as top degrees double in seven years"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/universities-told-to-crack-down-as-top-degrees-double-in-seven-years-s7pwsmbs7

The economics are very sound. Top degrees is what people pay for. There is high demand. Increase the supply. QED.

Of course, as with currencies, there is a risk of the devaluation of the product but that's the next guy's problem.
    The problem though is the clear impression that many students today who are being awarded First classhonours degrees would have fallen short of a 2.1 forty years ago for a given standard of work.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    RobD said:

Subsample? :p
    Well, HY has recently been quoting sub samples of sub samples of sub samples of three year old polls.

That is just off the scale of daftness.
  • Options
    13 days ago Newcastle United had one of the best managers in the world and now we're struggling to agree compensation with Sheffield Wednesday for Steve Bruce, Stephen Clemence, and Steve Agnew. Seriously.
This discussion has been closed.