Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The next Home Secretary betting

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The next Home Secretary betting

When Boris Johnson becomes Prime Minister it is widely expected that his Chancellor will be Sajid Javid which creates a vacancy at the Home Office. So who will succeed Javid?

Read the full story here

Comments

• DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    James Cleverly for me. One important question is what has Boris told Liz Truss? Rumours were she'd got the Treasury until the Saj became favourite. If Truss is on a promise then there aren't many other top jobs available.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    Feel like who will be HS will be the least of our problems.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    The Home Secretary has to be competent, stable and reliable, because the PM isn’t.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004

The Home Secretary has to be competent, stable and reliable, because the PM isn’t.

That goes for all the new cabinet
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,760
    dixiedean said:

Feel like who will be HS will be the least of our problems.

He should go for the left field pick.

Jeremy Corbyn getting muddled over what a terrorist is would add somewhat to the gaiety of the nation.
    edited July 2019
    Is Diane Abbott worth a punt at 50s? It is basically a double that the Saj stays at the Home Office under Boris and that Labour wins the anticipated snap election.

I'd want longer but it is probably worth keeping an eye on Labour (or LibDem) outsiders in all these next minister races.
    Is Bairstow actually trying to get out, or is he just not hitting it very well?
  • Well done Lewis!

C'mon England - might have to be a Hollywood ending.
    edited July 2019
    ydoethur said:

They are not convincing at all but NZ are bowling very well
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Chris said:

nico67 said:

What happened to the Bozo bounce ?

Where’s HYUFD ? Red alert emergency spin needed .

Did I miss Boris becoming PM already? Did I miss him becoming Tory leader already?

When did May leave Downing Street?

If a politics geek like me missed it then no shock the public has. Or maybe the public lacks your TARDIS?
    I think people are referring to HYUFD's posts telling us that Boris Johnson was going to win a landslide based on previous ComRes polls.

You must have missed them, though I'm not sure how.
    Yes he is quoting polls with Boris as named leader. This was a poll with May as leader.

The public aren't sophisticated or geeky enough to foresee Boris being leader. Look at the 2007 polls for precedent. Even when Brown becoming leader was basically guaranteed the Tories still polled a lead. Every single poll bar 1 in 2007 leading up to Brown officially becoming leader showed a Tory lead.

Every single poll after Brown became leader for the following months had a Labour lead. Without exception.

The bounce happened when Brown entered Downing Street not before. If there is to be a Boris bounce (and it's not guaranteed) it will be after his election not before.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    David Davis is a good bet, with Javid Chancellor, Raab Foreign Secretary and Hunt Deputy PM
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I disagree with mr Meeks on plenty, not least his tone on many occasions, but I cannot deny that i find the mooted plans to prorogue quite concerning. The reasons dont stack up and it comes from people who openly admit that no cost or price is too high to leave (except the price of voting for the WA for some of them, that price was too high).

Nothing is so great that any cost is worth it. It is incredibly frustrating we have not left yet, but better we dont and even the BXP win an election to no deal at the democratic outrage, than people essentially decide to ignore the will of the present parliament (if it can manage to determine what its will is).

I believe in parliamentary democracy. This parliament was elected after the referendum and has behaved terribly - not reaching compromise to deliver what most said they would do and a large group always intending to stymie it. The solution is the parliament faces the consequences at the next election, whenever that is.

That would delay Brexit, might even halt it for a bit. But if we are outraged by our representatives we will choose other ones.

Better that than some Dominic Grieve style too clever by half constitutional wrangling.

Yes the legal position is no deal and if they did not want that they should not have triggered A50. But while I dislike what the parliament has done and has not done, while it is there it is entitled to indicate its will as best it sees fit.

Proroguing for no purpose other than partisan politics is a dangerous game to play. If its happened before thats no excuse to do it again, it can escalate badly and this time we see the political culture devolve.

Do the Tories want Corbyn to see proroguing as nothing but a convenient tool in the arsenal.

If Parliament blocked the key manifesto commitment of an elected PM Corbyn due to Labour Blairite rebels like the Tory diehard Remainer rebels now I would have no problem with Corbyn proroguing Parliament no
    And there we have it! The proof for how deranged Johsonite thinking has become. They are prepared to defend a future Corbyn dictatorship in their Brexit-induced fever.

Call the men in white coats.

James Cleverly for me. One important question is what has Boris told Liz Truss? Rumours were she'd got the Treasury until the Saj became favourite. If Truss is on a promise then there aren't many other top jobs available.

Cleverly to be Party Chairman, Truss to be Business Secretary

ydoethur said:

They are not convincing at all but NZ are bowling very well
    To be honest, the more England bat the more impressive 240 looks.
    HYUFD said:

David Davis is a good bet, with Javid Chancellor, Raab Foreign Secretary and Hunt Deputy PM

And where are the ladies.

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I disagree with mr Meeks on plenty, not least his tone on many occasions, but I cannot deny that i find the mooted plans to prorogue quite concerning. The reasons dont stack up and it comes from people who openly admit that no cost or price is too high to leave (except the price of voting for the WA for some of them, that price was too high).

Nothing is so great that any cost is worth it. It is incredibly frustrating we have not left yet, but better we dont and even the BXP win an election to no deal at the democratic outrage, than people essentially decide to ignore the will of the present parliament (if it can manage to determine what its will is).

I believe in parliamentary democracy. This parliament was elected after the referendum and has behaved terribly - not reaching compromise to deliver what most said they would do and a large group always intending to stymie it. The solution is the parliament faces the consequences at the next election, whenever that is.

That would delay Brexit, might even halt it for a bit. But if we are outraged by our representatives we will choose other ones.

Better that than some Dominic Grieve style too clever by half constitutional wrangling.

Yes the legal position is no deal and if they did not want that they should not have triggered A50. But while I dislike what the parliament has done and has not done, while it is there it is entitled to indicate its will as best it sees fit.

Proroguing for no purpose other than partisan politics is a dangerous game to play. If its happened before thats no excuse to do it again, it can escalate badly and this time we see the political culture devolve.

Do the Tories want Corbyn to see proroguing as nothing but a convenient tool in the arsenal.

If Parliament blocked the key manifesto commitment of an elected PM Corbyn due to Labour Blairite rebels like the Tory diehard Remainer rebels now I would have no problem with Corbyn proroguing Parliament no
    And there we have it! The proof for how deranged Johsonite thinking has become. They are prepared to defend a future Corbyn dictatorship in their Brexit-induced fever.

Madness
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,960
    On topic, Andrea Leadsom worth thinking about. Coupled with Truss as Chancellor, Boris would be looking at two women in the top posts of Govt.

Coupled with Truss as Chancellor, Boris would be looking at two women

I'm sure he would!

On topic, Andrea Leadsom worth thinking about. Coupled with Truss as Chancellor, Boris would be looking at two women in the top posts of Govt.

He has to provide a gender balance.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Is Diane Abbott worth a punt at 50s? It is basically a double that the Saj stays at the Home Office under Boris and that Labour wins the anticipated snap election.

I'd want longer but it is probably worth keeping an eye on Labour (or LibDem) outsiders in all these next minister races.

I like your thinking. Is there a book anywhere offering 'a Lib Dem'. If there are 80 Lib Dems in the next house they'll have to be given something big for their support.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010

Chris said:

nico67 said:

Did I miss Boris becoming PM already? Did I miss him becoming Tory leader already?

If a politics geek like me missed it then no shock the public has. Or maybe the public lacks your TARDIS?
    I think people are referring to HYUFD's posts telling us that Boris Johnson was going to win a landslide based on previous ComRes polls.

Yes he is quoting polls with Boris as named leader. This was a poll with May as leader.

The public aren't sophisticated or geeky enough to foresee Boris being leader. Look at the 2007 polls for precedent. Even when Brown becoming leader was basically guaranteed the Tories still polled a lead. Every single poll bar 1 in 2007 leading up to Brown officially becoming leader showed a Tory lead.

Every single poll after Brown became leader for the following months had a Labour lead. Without exception.

The bounce happened when Brown entered Downing Street not before. If there is to be a Boris bounce (and it's not guaranteed) it will be after his election not before.
    Ah - you knew what people meant all the time!

We should be thinking about who the best people for the job are not what genitals they have

And if Truss is the best she should be getting the job because she is worthy not because she is the best lady.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

Good point. I expect a bounce, but not a very durable one for all the reasons we've discussed.
    Chris said:

Chris said:

nico67 said:

Yes hence why I said have I missed Boris being made leader? You may have a TARDIS but in my timeline he isn't yet.
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

No, I am prepared to defend democracy.

Diehard Remainers are clearly unwilling to respect the 2016 Leave vote, just as they are unwilling to respect the 2017 Tory manifesto commitment to take GB out of the EU which won most seats in GB and in the UK with the Leave backing DUP, so if Corbyn also wins an election but Parliament tries to block a key Labour manifesto commitment then by definition I would have to side with Corbyn on principle, however much I may dislike the policy itself

Good point. I expect a bounce, but not a very durable one for all the reasons we've discussed.
    Indeed any bounce may be just as ephemeral as that Brown and May got.

We should be thinking about who the best people for the job are not what genitals they have

And if Truss is the best she should be getting the job because she is worthy not because she is the best lady.
    That is an unpleasant response. Anyway looking at the men it should not be difficult
    This is more like a Test than an ODI.

That is an unpleasant response. Anyway looking at the men it should not be difficult
    It's not meant as unpleasant I mean it. I think it is very disrespectful for women to say they get jobs because they are women.

If Truss or anyone else gets appointed then it should be viewed as that she was the best person for the job not that we needed a token lady.

HYUFD said:

Truss as Business Secretary, Leadsom promoted etc

Chris said:

nico67 said:

Exactly right
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

No, I am prepared to defend democracy.

Diehard Remainers are clearly unwilling to respect the 2016 Leave vote, just as they are unwilling to respect the 2017 Tory manifesto commitment to take GB out of the EU which won most seats in GB and in the UK with the Leave backing DUP, so if Corbyn also wins an election but Parliament tries to block a key Labour manifesto commitment then by definition I would have to side with Corbyn on principle, however much I may dislike the policy itself
    You have lost your senses - you have been indoctrinated. You listen to IDS far too much
  • ydoethur said:

England gonna have to start whacking them at some stage. Keep me updated - I've allowed Ms Brisk some tennis, 1 set all, Federer 5-4 in the third.
  • ydoethur said:

England gonna have to start whacking them at some stage. Keep me updated - I've allowed Ms Brisk some tennis, 1 set all, Federer 5-4 in the third.
    5-5 now
    Former Welsh Office Minister and Tory Assembly Leader Rod Richards dies at 72

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48205289

It is a betting thread. The question is not who should be the next Home Secretary or who is best qualified. Shadsy (or Betfair) will only pay out on who actually is appointed next Home Secretary. Same for the next Foreign Secretary and Chancellor markets.
  • ydoethur said:

5-5 now
    Okay, we're back on the cricket so need updates on the Tennis.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think Truss would make a fantastic Chancellor of the Exchequer not mere Business Secretary.

But I would make Truss Chancellor because I think she is the best person for the job IMO. Not because I want a token woman.

I don't see what is unpleasant about that Big_G.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010

Chris said:

Chris said:

nico67 said:

Yes hence why I said have I missed Boris being made leader? You may have a TARDIS but in my timeline he isn't yet.
    Why all the silly stuff about TARDISes, when all you meant was that the polls HYUFD had been talking about prompted for Boris Johnson as leader, and this one doesn't?
    Root gone
  • On topic, Andrea Leadsom worth thinking about. Coupled with Truss as Chancellor, Boris would be looking at two women in the top posts of Govt.

It is a betting thread.
    I thought it was the cricket thread nicely timed to start with the end of the F1

Wicket!
    Rod Richards dies aged 72.

Perhaps best known for his famously acid bon mot on Valleys Labour councillors: 'they're short, they're fat and they're fundamentally corrupt.'

Oh, and for being a sadist. Literally.
    England really up against it now. Unless Morgan has something special on hand this is New Zealand all the way.
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

nico67 said:

Why all the silly stuff about TARDISes, when all you meant was that the polls HYUFD had been talking about prompted for Boris Johnson as leader, and this one doesn't?
    Nico was asking where the Boris bounce was. Since the Boris bounce if it comes will be in the future that seems an appropriate reply. Unless you have a time machine the bounce hasn't happened yet.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think Truss would make a fantastic Chancellor of the Exchequer not mere Business Secretary.

But I would make Truss Chancellor because I think she is the best person for the job IMO. Not because I want a token woman.

There is nothing unpleasant in that but you may wish to consider that the way you described the difference between male and female was
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    I thought Root was supposed to be good?

He turned out to be more a plant than a root,
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

nico67 said:

The result it gave was almost identical to the last one with May as leader, bar 1% shifting from the Tories to the Brexit Party, that last Comres poll though gave a Boris led Tory Party a clear lead

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1148312432768684032?s=20
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

One important question is what has Boris told Liz Truss? Rumours were she'd got the Treasury.

She's got a Upper A Level Maths, donchknow......
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Probably make a better Home Secretary than any mentioned so far

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There is nothing unpleasant in that but you may wish to consider that the way you described the difference between male and female was
    If you are judging people on gender then what else are you referring to?

I would rather judge people as individuals and the difference between individuals is frankly far greater than the difference between genders.

We don't need token women. The female cabinet members are just as good as the male ones and can compete on merits rather than getting in as "best woman leftover" to get a token role.
  • ydoethur said:

England really up against it now. Unless Morgan has something special on hand this is New Zealand all the way.

England still rather hot faves on betfair - not sure what I'm missing - they gonna have to start whacking them
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,520
    What an excellent F1 race.

On four occasions, I swapped over from the F1 to the cricket. On three occasions, I got ads. On the fourth, I got what could have been slo-motion cruddyness of people standing around.

Cricket really isn't a sport. ;)
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

the 2017 Tory manifesto commitment to take GB out of the EU
    1) By 2022 - nothing in there about October 31 2019, with (Page 6, since it seems continuously to escape your notice:
    2) a smooth and orderly departure from the European Union and forge a deep and special partnership with our friends and allies across Europe.

On what planet does a "No Deal" Hard Brexit, not paying our debts deliver (2)?
    Djokovic goes 2 sets to 1 up on Federer

ydoethur said:

England still rather hot faves on betfair - not sure what I'm missing - they gonna have to start whacking them
    5.6 per over RRR that's quite achievable by smart cricket no need to whack it yet.
    Is there a page that shows the respective teams "worms"?
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Federer really not playing the big points well.
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I disagree with mr Meeks on plenty, not least his tone on many occasions, but I cannot deny that i find the mooted plans to prorogue quite concerning. The reasons dont stack up and it comes from people who openly admit that no cost or price is too high to leave (except the price of voting for the WA for some promise to deliver what most said they would do and a large group always intending to stymie it. The solution is the parliament faces the consequences at the next election, whenever that is.

1) By 2022 - nothing in there about October 31 2019, with (Page 6, since it seems continuously to escape your notice:
    2) a smooth and orderly departure from the European Union and forge a deep and special partnership with our friends and allies across Europe.

A smooth and orderly managed No Deal leading to a Canada style FTA with the EU that is how.

Without a Tory majority it is clear the current Commons will never vote for the Withdrawal Agreement anyway, that needs about 30 more Labour MPs to vote for it and that is clearly not going to happen now or else not only every Tory MP to vote for it but the DUP to vote for it too and that will not happen either
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

BBC posted the worm recently but I don't know if there's a page with it being constantly updated.
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

under the scores

https://www.cricketworldcup.com/match/8239
    Bairstow out for 36.
  • And anther wicket Bairstow
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,088

That sounds like a long wait.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I would rather judge people as individuals and the difference between individuals is frankly far greater than the difference between genders.

We don't need token women. The female cabinet members are just as good as the male ones and can compete on merits rather than getting in as "best woman leftover" to get a token role.
    I do not disagree. But HYFUD seems to expect men in major positions when like for like the women are better
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Truss would make a very good Chancellor on ideas alone, I fear she is a bit Matt Hancock-esque and would be prone to gaffes and not coming across seriously. Having both the PM and CoE seen as lightweight is not a good look.

BTW, why are we so sure Javid will become CoE? Having an ex-banker as the new CoE might not be the best look
    So are England gonna lose this?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/statistics/1144530/england-vs-new-zealand-final-icc-cricket-world-cup-2019

Click on the statistics tab, the bottom chart has the worms.
    England making heavy weather of this
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited July 2019

So are England gonna lose this?

I just put £100 on the Kiwis at 2/1, to help ease the disappointment.

Edit: both teams now evens, that was lucky timing. :D
  • So are England gonna lose this?

The value's gotten be on NZ but I don't do unpatriotic bets

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/cricket/market/1.160350460
  • So are England gonna lose this?

The value's gotten be on NZ but I don't do unpatriotic bets

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/cricket/market/1.160350460
    Soz - NZ now favourites with that wicket. I have no idea where the value is.
    Good grief another wicket .

England need to get a grip .
    NZ now favourites according to Google :disappointed:
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Truss would make a very good Chancellor on ideas alone, I fear she is a bit Matt Hancock-esque and would be prone to gaffes and not coming across seriously. Having both the PM and CoE seen as lightweight is not a good look.

BTW, why are we so sure Javid will become CoE? Having an ex-banker as the new CoE might not be the best look
    Javid would be the first ethnic minority Chancellor though just as Truss would be the first female Chancellor
    England collapsing in an embarrassing heap here.

This is New Zealand's to lose.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,088
    Guto Bebb - another one to watch.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Brexit by 31 Oct 2019 might save the Conservative Party.

Brexit by 2022 (per your manifesto) would not.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/statistics/1144530/england-vs-new-zealand-final-icc-cricket-world-cup-2019

Yikes that does not look pretty. We have quite a few runs less and lost 2 wickets more than NZ at this stage.

The only positive is that NZ worm remained steady, no uplift at the end. But then throughout the tournament there rarely seems to be the traditional uplift at the end.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I do not disagree. But HYFUD seems to expect men in major positions when like for like the women are better
    If the men are better then so be it and they should get the posts and we shouldn't ask where the ladies are.

But I don't think they are.

I would keep Javid as Home Secretary, keep Hunt as Foreign Secretary and make Truss Chancellor. Not a major reshuffle but that can come in other roles.

Yikes that does not look pretty. We have quite a few runs less and lost 2 wickets more than NZ at this stage.

The only positive is that NZ worm remained steady, no uplift at the end. But then throughout the tournament there rarely seems to be the traditional uplift at the end.
    Neither side are hitting fours or sixes. They are struggling on this wicket
  • Is there a page that shows the respective teams "worms"?

They're gonna have to start whacking them!
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Javid would be the first ethnic minority Chancellor though just as Truss would be the first female Chancellor
    So frigging what!?

Who is better: Javid or Truss. That should be all that matters!

If Javid is better great give him the role. If Truss is better great give her the role. I couldn't care less about their skin colour or genitals that has nothing to do with the role!

They're gonna have to start whacking them!
    We still need less than a run a ball. No need to panic yet.
    edited July 2019
    On topic, I’ve always been nervous about bets where the outcome is based on someone’s appointment, as opposed to an election or other democratic process. It’s quite possible there are people who *know* the outcome, some time before the rest of us.
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    NZ dotting Eng to death here. Stokes and Morgan are going to have to find the 1s and 2s in the leg side and then start going over the top from 35 overs in.

Nobody's forgotten I tipped NZ at 8/1, have they?
    Poland to build world’s largest airport.

Il sorpasso II is on the cards.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/first-look-new-transport-hub-in-poland-could-be-worlds-biggest-airport

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So frigging what!?

Who is better: Javid or Truss. That should be all that matters!

If Javid is better great give him the role. If Truss is better great give her the role. I couldn't care less about their skin colour or genitals that has nothing to do with the role!
    I think they both have the right credentials, I would be happy with either, just pointing out the appointment of either will be a first for a Chancellor
    Didn’t realise England were just as good at cricket as they are at football.
    Morgan out.

England screwed.
    What a catch
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,960
    ydoethur said:

England collapsing in an embarrassing heap here.

This is New Zealand's to lose.

But helmets off to NZ. They have bowled an endless supply of unplayable balls.
    edited July 2019
    2/1 England now, choking like Spurs in May.
  • Buttler ODI ranking 19 - Can they pull of the Hollywood ending?
    OMG.

England are panicking and really in danger of throwing this game away .
    I always thought New Zealand had a very good chance of winning this match. I don't know why so many commentators seemed to be taking an England victory almost granted.
    AndyJS said:

I always thought New Zealand had a very good chance of winning this match. I don't know why so many commentators seemed to be taking an England victory almost granted.

I think the assumption was Roy and Bairstow would put together a rapid stand and then England would amble to victory.

But Boult and Henry didn't let them.
    Tory Remainers ‘plot to bring down Boris Johnson within days by quitting and joining Lib Dems’

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9503549/tory-remainers-boris-johnson-lib-dems/amp/

Year of next GE - best prices

2019 5/4
    2022 or later 3/1
    2020 4/1
    2021 12/1

Is 2019 starting to look nailed on?

How many PPCs are in place? Could be a hectic autumn.

Why are there only two individual constituency markets up (Islington North; Uxbridge and South Ruislip)? How about an East Dunbartonshire market.
This discussion has been closed.