Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PaddyPower ‘s latest odds on the post GE2015 government

SystemSystem Posts: 11,004
edited November 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PaddyPower ‘s latest odds on the post GE2015 government

In many ways I think that a LD-LAB coalition is less likely than a CON-LD one. I think that LAB would find it much harder to swallow going in with the yellows than Dave did in 2010. If they are close to the magic 326 threshold then they’ll try going it alone.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I wonder if a a Rainbow alliance is still a possibility post 2015?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Personally don't like this market as you could end up being a hostage to back room deals. Prefer the betfair most seats market - but other may disagree.

9/2 Lib Con looks the value.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Personally don't like this market as you could end up being a hostage to back room deals. Prefer the betfair most seats market - but other may disagree.

You can get 5/1 with William Hill

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/g/1744492/Next-Government.html
  • Options

TGOHF said:

You can get 5/1 with William Hill

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/g/1744492/Next-Government.html
    I prefer NOM on betfair at 2.5 and Con most seats at 2.2+
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,897
    None of these look that appealing, am on better odds than that for the lot pretty much
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,890
    Regarding last weeks "Soubry-gasm" on here from non UKIP voters, today the Sun has taken Farage's side in an editorial, citing Cameron as being angry with Soubry, following the unanimous support from the Mail comments on Friday.

So that's the readers & commentators of the UK's two most read papers vs PB'ers, who are among the strongest supporters of other parties in Britain.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

None of these look that appealing, am on better odds than that for the lot pretty much

I've backed Australia to win the first test, apart from patriotic cursing reasons

Something tells me with Prior's injury, and a lack of middle time for some of our players, we maybe a bit undercooked for the first test.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    William Hill has a 40/1 on 'Any Coalition including UKIP'. Whilst it's a slightly longer shot than I like to bet on, I do wonder if there is a bit of value there. If UKIP get 1-4 seats at the next election and it is a hung parliament, I wonder if a Tory minority government would take UKIP on to improve the numbers a bit and make the referendum promise look even more convincing.
  • Options
    Kellner:

Ed Miliband’s central task is to persuade voters not just the he is on their side, but also that he is up to the job of Prime Minister. Currently too few people think he is. And I’m not sure that he would win over the doubters by translating our poll numbers into a series of manifesto commitments to reintroduce price controls and renationalise the Royal Mail and British Gas. Were voters to regard him as a strong, decisive leader with workable solutions to Britain’s problems, then such radical measures might carry him to victory. The trouble is that this is not how most people see him; so the risk is that the very policies that most people say they want, could turn out to do him more harm than good.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/11/11/american-politics-red-ed-and-paradox-populism/
  • Options
    If there's a deal to be done, a deal will be done. The one thing I'd bet against is a minority government of whatever stripe. Unless either Labour or the Conservatives are somewhere around the 320 mark, I don't see it as an eventuality.

Which leads onto another question. What if there's a coalition, but it doesn't involve the Lib Dems? Labour and the SNP might well be able to find sufficient common ground if the numbers worked.
  • Options
    isam said:

Regarding last weeks "Soubry-gasm" on here from non UKIP voters, today the Sun has taken Farage's side in an editorial, citing Cameron as being angry with Soubry, following the unanimous support from the Mail comments on Friday.
    So that's the readers & commentators of the UK's two most read papers vs PB'ers, who are among the strongest supporters of other parties in Britain.

NickExMP will do us all a favour. An end to the career of this hectoring, wet europhile.
  • Options
    Doing a spot of work right now, but when that's done I'm going to consider backing Nadal at 2.6 over Djokovic. In the last couple of years the Spaniard has definitely had the upper hand.

Men's tennis is lucky to have such a purple patch. Ever since Nadal was able to go toe-to-toe with Federer it's had at least 2 superstars.
  • Options

isam said:

NickExMP will do us all a favour. An end to the career of this hectoring, wet europhile.
    Wet Europhile for Broxtowe is pretty much nailed on ;)
  • Options
    Quincel said:

William Hill has a 40/1 on 'Any Coalition including UKIP'. Whilst it's a slightly longer shot than I like to bet on, I do wonder if there is a bit of value there. If UKIP get 1-4 seats at the next election and it is a hung parliament, I wonder if a Tory minority government would take UKIP on to improve the numbers a bit and make the referendum promise look even more convincing.

If UKIP get more than one seat it is highly unlikely that the Conservatives will be in Govt. That is the reality.

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited November 2013

this hectoring, wet europhile.

That's a bit unfair on Nick. He may be a very extreme Europhile, and arguably a bit wet, but he's not really hectoring.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,283
    Exhibition on the life and times one of Manchester's greatest sons and provincial solicitor made good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-24852971

• Options
    Poor Hector.
  • Options

this hectoring, wet europhile.

That's a bit unfair on Nick. He may be a very extreme Europhile, and arguably a bt wet, but he's not really hectoring.
    Monsieur Nabavi, Nick only shares the Europhilia with Soubry, but he is not hectoring or wet. Soubry is simply in the wrong party, maybe the reason why her local association are unwilling to do much to help her?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

True. But at least Nick fights under an honest banner.

• Options
    edited November 2013

Quincel said:

If UKIP get more than one seat it is highly unlikely that the Conservatives will be in Govt. That is the reality.

Just because something is 40-1 doesn't mean it is good value. I'd lay my bank on that outcome if the GE was tomorrow and it was possible.

Similiar crap value long odds bets include Tory Most Seats, Least votes &
    Lib Dems to win the Euro elections
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited November 2013

TGOHF said:

isam said:

"We almost destroyed the country, let us try again" ?

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Quincel said:

Fair point, I can't argue with that analysis.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

isam said:

I am for HS2 , er wait no er I am unsure - at least he's honest about being indecisive.
  • Options

Doing a spot of work right now, but when that's done I'm going to consider backing Nadal at 2.6 over Djokovic. In the last couple of years the Spaniard has definitely had the upper hand.

Men's tennis is lucky to have such a purple patch. Ever since Nadal was able to go toe-to-toe with Federer it's had at least 2 superstars.

Let us know when you have a tip, Mr Dancer.
    I've been looking for some easy money, and picking the exact opposite to your tennis bets is basically free cash :) A side bet on an abandoned match as well should see me home nicely.

• Options
    Mr. M, you rapscallion!

I'm still ahead with tennis bets this year. Your point about abandoned matches is depressingly accurate, however. 3/5 of my last tips have been abandoned.
  • Options

Soubry is simply in the wrong party, maybe the reason why her local association are unwilling to do much to help her?

Why is she in the wrong party? Her views on the EU are much the same as Maggie's, she's sound on protection of the green belt, on reforming welfare, on cutting taxes.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

I've been looking for some easy money, and picking the exact opposite to your tennis bets is basically free cash :) A side bet on an abandoned match as well should see me home nicely.

Have you had yours a couple of days back GeoffM ;) ?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    GeoffM said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

"We almost destroyed the country, let us try again" ?

If at first you don't succeed..... seems to be Labour's way.
  • Options
    tim said:

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak
    Watchdog recommends Tory MP Nadine Dorries should apologise to House of Commons following investigation into 'I'm a Celebrity' appearance

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmselect/cmstnprv/806/806.pdf

Thought she looked quite good for her age
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

Doing quite nicely today Pulpstar. Raceclear one from two so far today :)

• Options
    More lies from a senior Labour minister, are these people so stupid they think they won't get found out:

http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2013/11/from-harryph-harriet-harmans-dodgy-dossier.html
  • Options

Mr. M, you rapscallion!

I'm still ahead with tennis bets this year. Your point about abandoned matches is depressingly accurate, however. 3/5 of my last tips have been abandoned.

Enjoyed today's post over on the enormo-haddock blog Mr Dancer. An interesting look forward to next season mixed in there with the US race.

• Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    @TCB

There was a time when the wet Europhile wing of the Tory Party was great in number and in power. Now those voices are chased away to Labour etc - as your post below suggests. I have said that Soubry is very left wing for a Conservative. In days gone by she would have been a happy element in what was a much broader church.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

I wonder if a a Rainbow alliance is still a possibility post 2015?

No problem Mr Eagles, we've got a George ( Osborne ) who doubles as Geoffrey, a Zippy ( Byrne ) and about 150 PPEs competing for the title of Bungle.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited November 2013
    tim said:

@ayestotheright: Standards commissioner says @NadineDorriesMP refused to tell her if she was paid for I'm A Celebrity http://t.co/lVffkgoKDw

Serial offender but Cameron is too cowardly to do anything due to the poshness/misogyny issue

Hang on, tim, I thought your standard response was that Cameron treated his posh public school mates more leniently than non-posh women.

It's tim's fork, isn't it?

If Cameron does take action, it's proof of the misogny/poshness issue.

If Cameron doesn't take action, it's because he's too cowardly to do anything due to the poshness/misogyny issue.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Sky shares down 11%. Chortle.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    edited November 2013
    F1: as was widely expected, Massa's replacing Maldonado at Williams:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24897809

Edited extra bit: bad news is that the article asserts Maldonado's likely to go to Lotus. I very much hope that isn't the case.
  • Options
    Mr. M, Vettel's almost comical performance advantage means that next season is more interesting than the next race.

Glad you liked it, and hope you enjoyed the book as well.
  • Options
    @TSE

Cook also looks doubtful. Carberry to open?! The side looks makeshift at best. But I am not comfortable with backing Australia!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

A good day to be owning shares in top flight football clubs. Sky need to keep the rights to Premiership football even more than before. That's likely to mean more cash for the clubs.
  • Options
    Incidentally, talking of Ms Soubry, there's an interesting emphasis in her news and press release pages, in particular siding with residents against the (Labour-led) council on planning policy:

http://www.annasoubry.org.uk/news

I don't know the constituency, but I wonder whether Nick P might have a bit of a battle on his hands because of that issue specifically.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

MaxPB said:

A good day to be owning shares in top flight football clubs. Sky need to keep the rights to Premiership football even more than before. That's likely to mean more cash for the clubs.
    Agreed, but for the opposite reason, it looks like BT are willing to do whatever is necessary to break Sky's stranglehold of sport rights. Since they have more money it is going to be interesting to see how Sky react.
  • Options
    tim said:

She's nuts

Now that I will agree with.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Incidentally, talking of Ms Soubry, there's an interesting emphasis in her news and press release pages, in particular siding with residents against the (Labour-led) council on planning policy:

http://www.annasoubry.org.uk/news

I don't know the constituency, but I wonder whether Nick P might have a bit of a battle on his hands because of that issue specifically.

There is an ongoing very complex legal dispute between a local firm and Broxtowe council over a planning issue on a large brownfield site complicated by the fact that the leader of the council had to resign temporarily whilst he was cleared of false accusations of fraud of the IR .
    The website bramcotetoday.org.uk has some of the details .
  • Options
    antifrank said:

MaxPB said:

Owners are rubbing their hands.
    MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

MaxPB said:

Agreed, but for the opposite reason, it looks like BT are willing to do whatever is necessary to break Sky's stranglehold of sport rights. Since they have more money it is going to be interesting to see how Sky react.

Sky have no choice but to fight. If they lose football, they are in deep trouble. Their problem, though, is that whatever they do they cannot be the exclusive provider - and if people have to choose a BT PL and CL package may be more attractive than a Sky PL one.

As I said on the previous thread, I'd expect recent events to make the PL even more attractive to American investors - with Spurs being the number one gettable prospect.

• Options
    Mr. Max, do you happen to know anything about a possible/probable PS4 day one patch?

Just read that the Xbox One will need a day one patch. Without it, the console won't even play games (apparently). So, in order to allow the console to play games without an internet connection, you need to download a patch from the internet.

*raises an eyebrow*

That's a very special approach. I hope Sony isn't being that bad.
  • Options
    Nadine is completely crackers, a can or two short of a six pack, a deficit of sandwiches in her picnic. I would have thought her sue threat was posturing but with her who knows. The woman is a law unto herself!
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 13m
    That'll teach @TristramHuntMP to go personal, naming Gove's school. Gove did not study GCSEs in Scotland, & urges Hunt to study geography.
  • Options

Mr. Max, do you happen to know anything about a possible/probable PS4 day one patch?

Just read that the Xbox One will need a day one patch. Without it, the console won't even play games (apparently). So, in order to allow the console to play games without an internet connection, you need to download a patch from the internet.

*raises an eyebrow*

That's a very special approach. I hope Sony isn't being that bad.

Not sure I can comment. I'll have to check with PR first.
  • Options
    The Waugh Room - Leaves on the Line

"Several months on from being shunted sideways in the great Shadow Cabinet railway network, Maria Eagle has given her first press interview (to the Yorkshire Post).

The interview has news lines on water companies and other stuff in Maria's new brief at Shadow Environment.

But it's her remarks about HS2 that caught my eye most.

For new-reader-starts-here, it's worth pointing out that Ms Eagle was a strong supporter of HS2 while at Shadow Transport and was a tad surprised (to put it diplomatically) when Ed Balls came out all HS2-sceptic in his conference speech (and fringe).

Since then, perhaps goaded by David Cameron claiming Labour is abandoning the north, Team Miliband has made clear that while Balls has the final say on the funding of the project, the party is still overall in favour of the north-south link.

And now here's Maria's take on HS2 and Labour's policy, including a joke at Balls' expense:

"It’s all back on track...There’s been some leaves on the line, I think, that Ed Miliband has cleared away. Our position now is very clear.”

Ms Eagle also said she sympathised with those Labour MPs who had voiced their anger over the party flirting with the idea of scrapping HS2.

“I understand the concerns and why they feel the need to express their views, and I think our position is now very clear..“Ed Miliband has made it very clear. And it’s pretty much what I was saying when I was doing the job. We’re going to deliver this North-South railway line.”"
  • Options
    Mr. Max, fair enough, don't want to get you in trouble.
  • Options
    A really very interesting article from the FT:
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/04179370-4741-11e3-b4d3-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2kLrKCmwK

Basically summing up a lot of the issues facing the west today.
  • Options

Sky have no choice but to fight. If they lose football, they are in deep trouble. Their problem, though, is that whatever they do they cannot be the exclusive provider - and if people have to choose a BT PL and CL package may be more attractive than a Sky PL one.

As I said on the previous thread, I'd expect recent events to make the PL even more attractive to American investors - with Spurs being the number one gettable prospect.

Absolutely they have to fight. What's interesting is that if BT make a decent stab at EPL rights next time and get at least ~60 matches with the same first pick pack then they would have good EPL, UCL and FA Cup vs EPL only for Sky.

American investors may want in but I doubt Joe Lewis wants to sell.
  • Options
    ITVdigital, Sentanta, ESPN - all tried to take on Sky on football.

Of course BT is free for Virgin customers like me - so let the peons eat cake..
  • Options
    F1
    Massa moves to Williams, Maldonado leaves:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/index.html
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

free 'at the moment'.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Absolutely they have to fight. What's interesting is that if BT make a decent stab at EPL rights next time and get at least ~60 matches with the same first pick pack then they would have good EPL, UCL and FA Cup vs EPL only for Sky.

American investors may want in but I doubt Joe Lewis wants to sell.

He does. Once the new stadium is built he'll be sitting on a gold mine. ENIC paid £90 million for their Spurs stake. They have spent a bit more taking the club private, but it'll all be worth it for them when they sell up. Not sure the fans will be that delighted with US owners, if that's who it turns out to be. They don't splash the cash.

• Options

TGOHF said:

free 'at the moment'.
    BT see Virgin customers as a way to increase viewing figures and charge more for advertisers at zero threat - can't see that changing when they are saddled with these ginormo payments for the CL...
  • Options

Mr. Max, fair enough, don't want to get you in trouble.

Just got the go ahead. You can play games offline without the day one patch. Can't do much else though. The patch will automatically download in the background and the system will prepare the installation while you play and it requires a quick restart and then full system functionality is available.
    TGOHF said:

The difference is that BT have much more money than all of the previous contenders and they have entered as a defensive move for broadband subs, which means they are staying in for the long term.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

BT Sport is also available on Sky if you pay for it.
  • Options

He does. Once the new stadium is built he'll be sitting on a gold mine. ENIC paid £90 million for their Spurs stake. They have spent a bit more taking the club private, but it'll all be worth it for them when they sell up. Not sure the fans will be that delighted with US owners, if that's who it turns out to be. They don't splash the cash.

I think the advantage of US owners is that they have a long term view, and they are good at raising commercial revenues, so we rely less on having a monster stadium or on TV rights which can fluctuate. Raising our profile in Asia should be priority one.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

It is included in the package, I think for VIP only. I know we have it.

I wouldn't say £110 per month is 'free'.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

free 'at the moment'.
    Too true! It's not remotely conceivable that BT's Champions League coverage commencing in 2015 will be free to Virgin customers, or even to BT customers for that matter. They haven't shelled out nigh on a billion pounds to provide a free service!

• Options

TGOHF said:

I don't think the customer pit is bottomless - would be interested to see how many switchers BT have got from Sky and number of punters willing to pay for both BT and Sky ?

• Options

TGOHF said:

free 'at the moment'.
    Too true! It's not remotely conceivable that BT's Champions League coverage commencing in 2015 will be free to Virgin customers, or even to BT customers for that matter. They haven't shelled out nigh on a billion pounds to provide a free service!

But they need viewers to justify advertising rates. Are people really going to pay £30 a month for Sky Sports and £30 for BT sport - just to watch Stoke vs Swansea, Chelsea vs Cluj & PSG vs Galatasary ?

Something's gotta give.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

I don't think the customer pit is bottomless - would be interested to see how many switchers BT have got from Sky and number of punters willing to pay for both BT and Sky ?

BT have UCL, Bundesliga, Serie A, some EPL and FA Cup from 2015/16. Sky will have to lower their prices or they will lose customers. To many neutrals who don't follow the PL they want FA Cup and Champions League, which Sky can't offer them.

• Options
    Mr. Max, thanks, that's good to hear.

Whilst I do have a connection, it's a shade ropey and I usually don't have it on. For people with none whatsoever this seems like another big PR win in the making for Sony (whose simple strategy of pointing at Microsoft and saying "We aren't doing that" has proven rather effective).

I won't be buying for a while, but I'll probably get a PS4 eventually (tip: wait 3 months after I buy it. I've got a great record of buying just before a cheaper, slimline, second version of a console comes to the market).
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Also, I don't know many people who watch football at home, there isn't the atmosphere. I generally go to the pub, David Lloyd or somewhere similar, even though I could watch the games at home.

The only reason we have sports is for the tennis. There's so much of it that it isn't sensible to go out to watch a game.
  • Options

Whilst I do have a connection, it's a shade ropey and I usually don't have it on. For people with none whatsoever this seems like another big PR win in the making for Sony (whose simple strategy of pointing at Microsoft and saying "We aren't doing that" has proven rather effective).

I won't be buying for a while, but I'll probably get a PS4 eventually (tip: wait 3 months after I buy it. I've got a great record of buying just before a cheaper, slimline, second version of a console comes to the market).

I wouldn't count on a slimline PS4 any time soon! The internal design is god-tier. Just no need for one.
  • Options
    @TGOHF

LOL - I am a Sky Sports subscriber on Virgin and wasn't aware I also got BT?!?
  • Options
    I won't be paying for BT until they get the cricket. Until then am happy to receive it for free.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

Doing quite nicely today Pulpstar. Raceclear one from two so far today :)

Sadly a teeny tiny loss on the day after a good start but tommorow is another day :)
  • Options
    I have BT sport through Sky as I have BT broadband.. I think I watched one game on it so far.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

But they need viewers to justify advertising rates. Are people really going to pay £30 a month for Sky Sports and £30 for BT sport - just to watch Stoke vs Swansea, Chelsea vs Cluj & PSG vs Galatasary ?

Something's gotta give.

The thinking is that this move will force pubs and bars to licence BT Sport because it gets punters in on weekdays. So far most pubs haven't bothered with BT Sport, understandably so since 38 EPL games is not worth paying so much money over. It will also force Sky to lower the price of their public viewing licences. That will be new revenue to BT and will pay for a significant proportion of their outlay.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

@TGOHF

Its in a weird location - 540 or something - one channel down from BBC news.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

@TGOHF

I think it is only free to VIP packages. We pay about £110 a month and get it.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

@TGOHF

Phone up and tell them you are going to move to Sky/BT - my missus does that every few months and it keeps the rate down a bit.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    Bobajob said:

Nadine is completely crackers, a can or two short of a six pack, a deficit of sandwiches in her picnic. I would have thought her sue threat was posturing but with her who knows. The woman is a law unto herself!

I've skim-read the report's conclusions. She refused to cooperate with the investigation, and has not even said if the TV company paid her.

IMHO from that skim-read, she has to resign. Not for breaching the rules themselves, but for not cooperating.

By-election, anyone?

• Options
    I would agree with that view, how is she going to get away with simple issuing an apology in these circumstances?

Bobajob said:

I've skim-read the report's conclusions. She refused to cooperate with the investigation, and has not even said if the TV company paid her.

IMHO from that skim-read, she has to resign. Not for breaching the rules themselves, but for not cooperating.

By-election, anyone?

• Options
    isam said:
    I am sure they are not making the quotes up, but they may have told this mayor a fair few whoppers for him to supply them - especially about the generous benefits on offer.

• Options
    Does anyone else here head to where the cricket is free on the TV, if you know what I mean ;) ?
  • Options
    Mr. Max, it looks significantly smaller than the fat PS3. (When I switched back to my PS2 for a little while I was surprised just how much smaller that was as well).

Also, I believe it's the first parallelepiped console in history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallelepiped

[NB those who said it was rhombus-shaped are wrong twice. A rhombus is a polygon, not a three-dimensional object, and the two-dimensional equivalent is a parallelogram].

Decided against backing Nadal. I do think he's the likelier winner, but they're very evenly matched. His recent strong form against Djokovic is deceptive because he's won most of those games on clay (their match will be on a hard court).
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I won't be paying for BT until they get the cricket. Until then am happy to receive it for free.

My view exactly - they'd be fools to concentrate on the football only.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Bobajob said:

@TGOHF

Phone up and tell them you are going to move to Sky/BT - my missus does that every few months and it keeps the rate down a bit.
    Will be doing that at the end of the 18 month contract, some time around March / April.
  • Options

Mr. Max, it looks significantly smaller than the fat PS3. (When I switched back to my PS2 for a little while I was surprised just how much smaller that was as well).

Also, I believe it's the first parallelepiped console in history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallelepiped

I'll tell them to add that factoid to the marketing! :p

I haven't measured it, but going by eye it's about the same size as the first PS3 slim but it is not as thick.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    edited November 2013
    Quincel said:

The two issues with that bet are (1)what constitutes a coalition? If Farage is a minister, sure it's a coalition. But if none of the UKIP MPs are ministers, then are they in coalition, even if they vote with the Conservatives.

And (2), if UKIP has got the 10-15% needed to get several seats (and I'd put some money on North Devon if I were you), then it's hard to see the Conservatives polling more than 35%. Unless there's a LibDem recovery, then that's a Labour majority / Labour largest party scenario.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, nothing wrong with an obscure factoid.

I think Sir Edric's Temple is the first book in history to feature a flange of flying baboons.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Does anyone else here head to where the cricket is free on the TV, if you know what I mean ;) ?

The connection tends to be dire from Indian TV streams?!

Re: football. How does BT Sport's outlay fit into the fact it is now legal to show Saturday 3pm streams, thanks to that landmark case in Newcastle with the landlady showing Czech TV? Loads of boozers near me show football on Saturday afternoons - when I'd rather watch a game anyway. 4pm on a Sunday is the fag end of the weekend and not a good time to have a few beers and take in the match.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

My view exactly - they'd be fools to concentrate on the football only.

I think BT will go for golf next, the US Open and Masters rights expire quite soon. If they get both of those then it leaves Sky with the Ryder Cup and the USPGA (the major that no one cares about).

I think the ECB and Sky are in too deep though.
  • Options
    @MaxPB

Max, what's the thinking behind not making new generation consoles backward compatible? That's one thing my kids always complain about. Is it down to cost, software issues, or just about maximising new game profit, or a mix of things?.

• Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited November 2013
    There’s another problem for LAB. If they are short on seats then it’s quite likely that they would have ended up with fewer votes than the Tories which would make it that bit harder for the LDs to give EdM the keys of Number 10

I think this is a great point, especially if the Tories pump up vote share by dragging back some UKIP switchers when it really matters (one of the great political unknowns of our time).

But the British tradition is that seats, not votes, make a mandate. See 1929, 1951 (if we count the National Liberals as Conservatives) and especially the fascinating precedent of Feb 1974. Labour governed despite receiving fewer votes, though it's quite possible the Libs would have taken a coalition with Heath had enough goodies been on offer. But there weren't, and I don't think the failure of that prospect can be described as "Liberals handing the keys of No 10 to Wilson". It's not clear that Cameron has much he could afford to offer either, given his party's well-established, deep-rooted, committed (and in my opinion, counterproductive and self-destructive) resistance to electoral reform, and his likely inability to can-kick the European issue back into yet another parliamentary cycle.

The interesting situation leaves both CON and LAB within touching distance of government, and the Lib Dems as genuine kingmakers. Were vote shares and seat shares mismatched, they really would have to weigh up the popular legitimacy of their decision. But this combination of events seems less likely than a reprise of 2010, with a realistic chance of governing for only one party. If that party is short on seats, the Lib Dems would face a choice of coalition government (justifiable on stability and national interest grounds, regardless of vote shares) vs minority government (arguably handing the Lib Dems more leverage, and certainly preferable for reestablishing electoral distinctiveness). I doubt in that case vote share would be so important, particularly if any discrepancy was narrow (likely, based on polling and historical precedent) and especially if Labour had more seats (likely according to the bookies). For obvious strategic reasons I suspect the Lib Dems would be very wary of being seen as shackled to an unpopular Tory party widely perceived as having lost an election, even if it had edged ahead on votes. So while I'm impressed by OGH's vote share argument, I wonder just how likely it is to have the practical implications he foresees.
  • Options
    We have the sky sports package, and unfortunately we now have BT sport thanks to having BT broadband. Its not as if there isn't enough frigging sports channels to dominant our TV viewing in our house already. :(
    And the other great debate currently raging on is whether to go with the new Xbox1 or the PS4 to boot! :)
    If @Morris or any other gamers around, what is the verdict on Rome II? A while back I got our youngest lad Shogun 2 on the back of recommendations here which he loved.

I have BT sport through Sky as I have BT broadband.. I think I watched one game on it so far.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    rcs1000 said:

Quincel said:

The two issues with that bet are (1)what constitutes a coalition? If Farage is a minister, sure it's a coalition. But if none of the UKIP MPs are ministers, then are they in coalition, even if they vote with the Conservatives.

And (2), if UKIP has got the 10-15% needed to get several seats (and I'd put some money on North Devon if I were you), then it's hard to see the Conservatives polling more than 35%. Unless there's a LibDem recovery, then that's a Labour majority / Labour largest party scenario.
    It requires quite a few unlikely events, but the individual probabilities can't just be multiplied as each event makes the other more unlikely. Almost mutually exclusive to be perfectly honest (Con most seats, UKIP gains enough MPs to create a mutually workable arrangement) - And even if that did happen the numbers would be there to form a Lib Dem coailition anyway (Cam prefers Clegg to Farage by a long way). So the odds of this coming through are pretty much 0.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

@MaxPB

Max, what's the thinking behind not making new generation consoles backward compatible? That's one thing my kids always complain about. Is it down to cost, software issues, or just about maximising new game profit, or a mix of things?.

The new architecture is incompatible with the PS3. The only way to make it backwards compatible would have been to include the PS3 processor and RAM in the system which would have raised the price to at least £400-420 for consumers here and $500 in the US. It's that or lose a bundle of money for a feature that no one really wants to pay extra for.

Talking to one of our analysts, he said removing b/c from the PS3 has saved SCE around $1.5bn since 2007. It is something that doesn't go down in cost and also something people aren't willing to part with extra cash for. It had to make way.

In a perfect world, the PS3 would never have happened, we would have gone from the PS2 to some kind of off the shelf design and not spend $5bn on "incentivising" consumers to buy the PS3 (selling at below cost). But we are where we are and on a technical level, b/c is not possible on the PS4 because the architecture is just too different and costs too much to include and would make SCE unsustainable in the medium term.
    fitalass said:

If @Morris or any other gamers around, what is the verdict on Rome II? A while back I got our youngest lad Shogun 2 on the back of recommendations here which he loved.

Don't get it just yet. Riddled with bugs and balance issues. Wait for a few months and get it with all of the DLC included after it has been patched to remove the bugs.
  • Options
    @Fitalass

You'd get on well with my wife - that's exactly what she says! :)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    MaxPB said:

I wouldn't count on a slimline PS4 any time soon! The internal design is god-tier. Just no need for one.
    Congrats on getting 'god-tier' into the conversation!

It would be interesting to see a detailed teardown of the PS4's circuit board layout - you give the impression that it's excellent (Sony are, in my experience, very good at this sort of thing, as we have found to our cost in the past).

Certainly, the images released on Wired show a circuit board that is hardly the densest-packed I've seen. Although there might be good technical reasons to keep some components separate.

But given the PS3 lasted seven years, I cannot see Sony *not* producing a mid-life upgrade, just to try to keep sales fresh. Within a few years, alternate, cheaper components might be available, making a respin cost-effective. So whilst there may not be a 'slimline' version, if the console is a success, there will be an update.

All in all, the hardware looks very well packaged. That gives me confidence.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/11/sony-shows-off-ps4s-sweet-sweet-innards-in-official-teardown/

(A note on that video: as I'm more used to working with ARM and other embedded processors, whenever I see a heatsink like size I automatically think WTF!)
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

For obvious strategic reasons I suspect the Lib Dems would be very wary of being seen as shackled to an unpopular Tory party widely perceived as having lost an election, even if it had edged ahead on votes. So while I'm impressed by OGH's vote share argument, I wonder just how likely it is to have the practical implications he foresees.

Agree with this. In the scenario suggested by OGH Labour + LDs would command a majority of seats and a much larger number of votes than the Tories so they could form a government without any legitimacy issues. Any anyway, as you say, the Tories myopic adherence to FPTP would prevent them from mounting a serious challenge.

• Options
    John Reid didn't co-operate with the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards when he was investigated. No one noticed. He kept his ministerial position despite being accused of intimidating witnesses to mislead her.

By comparison, Nadine Dorries' sins are minor.
This discussion has been closed.