Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Javid becomes the favourite to succeed Johnson as CON leader

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited July 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Javid becomes the favourite to succeed Johnson as CON leader

Ladbrokes opening prices

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    First, like Swinson.
  • Options
    I wanted a flutter on the Moggster last time around but thankfully Ms Brisk vetoed.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    I think I'd want odds on "none."

Interesting first appointment of Mark Spencer as Chief Whip. Handling the irreconcilable differences within the Tory party is probably mission impossible, but Mark Spencer sounds like a genuine doer, so as much chance as anyone.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    At this stage it is worth focusing betting on who would take over in the very short term if Johnson is brought down in September/October.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Borough, indeed. A major fork in the betting road is whether this is a short term or long term matter.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    The race is on.
  • Options
    The heat is on.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Mr. Borough, indeed. A major fork in the betting road is whether this is a short term or long term matter.

Laying the flavour of the day is probably a good idea - there is no clear Boris like figure on the backbenches. Gove at 25-1 could be the best bet amongst that lot, but does he fancy failing another time.
    Rees Mogg at 12-1 is money for old rope for the bookies.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    tpfkar said:

Interesting first appointment of Mark Spencer as Chief Whip. Handling the irreconcilable differences within the Tory party is probably mission impossible, but Mark Spencer sounds like a genuine doer, so as much chance as anyone.

Mark Spencer as Chief Whip. Frank Spencer as Prime Minister.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    @nichomar FPT:
    It’s easy to counter that by asking what the Labour Party have achieved in terms of their supposed target groups in need of help since there was last a labour government? With corbyn they have achieved nothing in government and now see success as losing a GE by less than was thought.
    That presupposes Corbynites value practicality over purity (they don't) and reason over belief (they don't).

They're a cult not really interested in real power, but impotent purity.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Proof that Boris starts out having set himself up for abject failure in his core promise - from Nigel Farage.

I wish Boris Johnson well as prime minister with his ‘do or die’ pledge to deliver Brexit on October 31.

It is ‘do or die’ not just for Brexit, but for the future of the Conservative party too.

Does he have the courage to deliver for the country?

Well, quite. Farage has already spotted the opportunity, but that wasn't difficult. Boris couldn't have set a bigger trap for himself.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited July 2019
    Boris Johnson elected as leader and thus PM has with the impact of the heat made me feel sick. The type of sickness you feel when a relative suddenly dies and the shock reverberates to your core. I truly dread where the idiot will take the country. His thank you speech did not strike me as Prime Ministerial and I noticed the lame attempt to get laughs, some of which fell flat. He really cannot do serious!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
  • Options

tpfkar said:

Mark Spencer as Chief Whip. Frank Spencer as Prime Minister.
    lol

The new chief whip makes me think of the company! Boris thinks he is a bright spark but it wont get him any extra points!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Laying the flavour of the day is probably a good idea - there is no clear Boris like figure on the backbenches. Gove at 25-1 could be the best bet amongst that lot, but does he fancy failing another time.
    Yes the Moggster is far too short - but what odds would you want for him? I can seriously picture him as the next Boris
  • Options
    Sean_F said:
    In six months time we might all be hunting Squirrels if we have a No Deal Brexit!
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,401
    I think Penny is a good option on that list. I think sitting out this contest may prove a wise decision. I hope she is reappointed Defence Secretary
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,574
    Sean_F said:
    I read that wrong (missed the hyphen) and several thoughts went through my mind:

a) Be more cautious of the squirrels in my garden
    b) How do you fine a squirrel?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited July 2019
    Some interesting, if unsurprising, stuff from YouGov:

https://tinyurl.com/y37gzqwj
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yes the Moggster is far too short - but what odds would you want for him? I can seriously picture him as the next Boris
    I'd have a think if he was in 3 figures to back.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    ToryJim said:

I think Penny is a good option on that list. I think sitting out this contest may prove a wise decision. I hope she is reappointed Defence Secretary

She's one of the only Tory MPs who seems bonkers on Brexit, yet generally quite sane otherwise.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Too short at 12-1.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    Who will Boris make Minister for No Deal Brexit? He or she will have to fulfil the following conditions:

Be someone Boris doesn't like.

Be someone so famously useless that everyone will naturally blame him or her for a No Deal disaster without Boris even needing to spin anything.

Who would be a good fit?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Yup - that's what I would have wanted at this stage as well - but if he's given a cabinet role and things progress...

I think I did quite well last time - I was only 2 votes away from Profit after I got on Gove at long odds.
  • Options

Who will Boris make Minister for No Deal Brexit? He or she will have to fulfil the following conditions:

Be someone so famously useless that everyone will naturally blame him or her for a No Deal disaster without Boris even needing to spin anything.

Who would be a good fit?

& be a loyal toady, Grayling fits the bill.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Baker is 100-1 with Betfred (via oddschecker).
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I can' t believe that voters might seriously consider an Old Etonian stick insect for next Prime Minister. Where are the Hartlepudlian class warriors when you need them.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I can' t believe that voters might seriously consider an Old Etonian stick insect for next Prime Minister. Where are the Hartlepudlian class warriors when you need them.

Is the Moggster etonian as well - well someone should have mentioned that before - they certainly get about.

Guacamole!
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,401
    Pulpstar said:

ToryJim said:

Too short at 12-1.
    I dunno. I think it's pretty reasonable given present circumstances etc
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    The country is dismayed about being dis-Mayed.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    Roger said:

Rory Stewart?

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,654
    tpfkar said:

Had not previously heard of him. From his wiki page "Spencer attracted criticism in early 2015 after suggesting that a man with learning difficulties who had been left without food or power after being sanctioned for arriving four minutes late at the benefit office should "learn the discipline of timekeeping". Sounds like a whip.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Who would be a good fit?

Cometh the hour, cometh the Quiet Man.
  • Options
    IMF predicting a boris bounce for the economy - must be all those tax cuts for those struggling to get by on 50k
  • Options

Sean_F said:
    In six months time we might all be hunting Squirrels if we have a No Deal Brexit!
    Only the lucky ones. Most of us will be sharing bits of dog over a brazier.
  • Options

IMF predicting a boris bounce for the economy - must be all those tax cuts for those struggling to get by on 50k

Good show. I struggle to get by on £50k.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:
    Dogs? By then we'll be eating the remains of the seagulls we used to catch the dogs.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9552660/seagull-dog-chihuahua-paignton-devon/
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Try being a bit more bohemian - you can always switch to cider for example; one of those big bottles has your weekly allowance of alcohol in one handy bottle.
  • Options
    Mango said:

Who would be a good fit?

Cometh the hour, cometh the Quiet Man.
    Grayling fo' sho'
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Scott_P said:
    The 28% pleased and delighted is higher thsn the 25% the Tories were on in the latest Yougov and less than half unhappy
  • Options
    It will be a solid relationship, if not as strong as Thatcher and Reagan or Blair and Clinton it will certainly be warmer than May and Trump was.

Boris probably benefits from not being a Trump cheerleader like Farage
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    James Cleverly is the one to watch, a Leaver unlike Javid, telegenic and likely next party chairman under Boris
  • Options
    Brisky's non-tip but prediction on Sky now
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

Sean_F said:

Try being a bit more bohemian - you can always switch to cider for example; one of those big bottles has your weekly allowance of alcohol in one handy bottle.
    Weekly allowance. Right.

Of all the lies the Brits tell, how modest their consumption of alcohol is (particularly when talking to the nurse or GP) has got to be their biggest whopper.
  • Options
    JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited July 2019
    Animal_pb said:

Sean_F said:

Weekly allowance. Right.

Of all the lies the Brits tell, how modest their consumption of alcohol is (particularly when talking to the nurse or GP) has got to be their biggest whopper.
    I always divide by about 3 or 4 and still get told off.

(Edit: probably because they multiple by 3 or 4)
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    How about James Brokenshire for Chancellor?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Swinson says she would only accept the result of a second referendum if Remain won.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    HYUFD said:

James Cleverly is the one to watch, a Leaver unlike Javid, telegenic and likely next party chairman under Boris

Talk of Paul.Scully becoming Party Chair with a bigger job for Cleverley
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Swinson says she would only accept the result of a second referendum if Remain won.

Lol - at least she's honest - Source?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Scott_P said:
    For me the most interesting of the early polling. The British people don't want an election, MPs don't want to make any Brexit decision. An alliance of inertia which is fascinating and horrifying in equal measure.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:
    but that will add to global warming and Greta will hex you.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Guido
  • Options
    I'm minded of the encampment in the Crimea just prior to the charge of the Light Brigade.
  • Options
    Is it just me or have all they PB cybernats F offed after I gave them the "PB conundrum".

It's pretty quiet without them. I'm sure we'll get used to it.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:
    Brexit is the dog's bollox and we'll all be sharing that bit .

just to add: there's a brasier that won't join in.
  • Options
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Guido
    Yes and you can be sure Guido has spun it in as hostile a way as possible as he's the arch-propagandist for the LEAVE fraternity.

All Jo has said if the people vote LEAVE she could not support that in parliament - that doesn't mean such a result couldn't and wouldn't be enacted but it seems strange having advocated one side before the vote to do a complete volte face if the vote goes the other way - I mean, who could support REMAIN and argue for it and then turn round the next day, if LEAVE won, and said they were a confirmed LEAVE supporter all along?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    Sean_F said:

If you're on 50k exactly you will receive no benefit from his tax cut for higher earners.
  • Options
    stodge said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Guido
    Yes and you can be sure Guido has spun it in as hostile a way as possible as he's the arch-propagandist for the LEAVE fraternity.

All Jo has said if the people vote LEAVE she could not support that in parliament - that doesn't mean such a result couldn't and wouldn't be enacted but it seems strange having advocated one side before the vote to do a complete volte face if the vote goes the other way - I mean, who could support REMAIN and argue for it and then turn round the next day, if LEAVE won, and said they were a confirmed LEAVE supporter all along?
    In the interview she comes over as flustered and pathetic.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Spoken like a true EUcrat
  • Options

geoffw said:

Seems to me something which will be used by tories and BXP in the b&r campaign. However it will give LDs remain support
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited July 2019
    Tabman said:
    Half a moment, half a moment. We're still waiting for earlier LibDem promises to be made good.

It was only in this morning's thread that we were promised Heidi or Sarah would be going over to the LibDems today -- one by one as OGH memorably said "to maximise the impact."

And the thread before that was entitled "Get ready for Boris’s big day to see CON resignations and the LDs perhaps getting another MP"

We are all fully prepared for the big defections one by one "to maximise the impact" ... how many more times will they have to be predicted?

Maybe the impact of these defections is so enormous that like the Tunguska Event they have to be limited to one or two a century for safety's sake.

• Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Animal_pb said:

Sean_F said:

Weekly allowance. Right.

Anyone struggling to live on £50k/y mystifies me. My red 'vin ordinaire' costs a mere £4 a bottle and it's very good. There are lots of good ones between £4-4.50.

Chateau Recougne from Majestic is one of the best clarets I've drunk for 20 years. It shortly goes on offer for ... £7.99 per bottle. I came across it at a relative's house in June and then found out that Majestic have a local branch.

I challenge most people to distinguish very good or excellent wine like this from 'great' wine - which I couldn't afford - in a blind tasting.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Who would be a good fit?

Grayling?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    edited July 2019
    Pulpstar said:
    Purposeful. His purpose being to keep his seat at the top table. Pathetic.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

If you're on 50k exactly you will receive no benefit from his tax cut for higher earners.
    Has anyone told his future chancellor that this is what is going to happen?
  • Options
    Tabman said:
    It's asking a bit much of Johnson. He hasn't a clue what his Brexit plan is and I doubt he will be Thursday either.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    geoffw said:

That's her honeymoon over. What a silly thing to say.
  • Options
    JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited July 2019

Tabman said:
    Half a moment, half a moment. We're still waiting for earlier LibDem promises to be made good.

It was only in this morning's thread that we were promised Heidi or Sarah would be going over to the LibDems today -- one by one as OGH memorably said "to maximise the impact."

And the thread before that was entitled "Get ready for Boris’s big day to see CON resignations and the LDs perhaps getting another MP"

We are all fully prepared for the big defections one by one "to maximise the impact" ... how many more times will they have to be predicted?

Maybe the impact of these defections is so enormous that like the Tunguska Event they have to be limited to one or two a century for safety's sake.

I've been on Sky more than usual because of the defection talk.

Still not too late for the Six I guess but it would be second (or last) story - maybe they're best waiting til Thursday or Friday.
  • Options
    The best time to defect is probably now if you really want to cut Boris off at the knees
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    felix said:

geoffw said:

She'll fit right in with those at Brussels.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The best time to defect is probably now if you really want to cut Boris off at the knees

It's not a real defection if they've resigned from the Tiggers anyway.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066

Animal_pb said:

Sean_F said:

Weekly allowance. Right.

Anyone struggling to live on £50k/y mystifies me. My red 'vin ordinaire' costs a mere £4 a bottle and it's very good. There are lots of good ones between £4-4.50.

Chateau Recougne from Majestic is one of the best clarets I've drunk for 20 years. It shortly goes on offer for ... £7.99 per bottle. I came across it at a relative's house in June and then found out that Majestic have a local branch.

I challenge most people to distinguish very good or excellent wine like this from 'great' wine - which I couldn't afford - in a blind tasting.
    I guess you don't live in London or the South East with a family - or you'd find it a lot less mystifying. Buying cheap wine would be the least of your worries!
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

Sean_F said:

Weekly allowance. Right.

I guess you don't live in London or the South East with a family - or you'd find it a lot less mystifying. Buying cheap wine would be the least of your worries!
    It's a bit mystifying why someone would choose to live in the mordour that is the south east if 50k means you're struggling
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    felix said:

geoffw said:

I heard her interview and Jo came across as shrieky and semi-deranged.

Still, she is probably not as bad as Ed Davey, who comes across as a seriously slow-witted individual who has been battling an intravenous downer habit for twenty years.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    Hmm. Sounds as if Boris is already equivocating on 31 October and an early election. I wonder if his secret strategy all along was booting Brexit into the long grass in the hope that TBP will have burned itself out in a couple of years.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    RobD said:

felix said:

geoffw said:

She'll fit right in with those at Brussels.
    A veritable choux de bruxelles.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Animal_pb said:

Sean_F said:

Weekly allowance. Right.

I can tell £8 from £20 and £20 from £50 but above £50 I find it tough to differentiate
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098

Animal_pb said:

Sean_F said:

Weekly allowance. Right.

How do you suppose people manage on £20k, then?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

Who would be a good fit?

Theresa May sounds ideal.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    HYUFD said:

It will be a solid relationship, if not as strong as Thatcher and Reagan or Blair and Clinton it will certainly be warmer than May and Trump was.

Boris probably benefits from not being a Trump cheerleader like Farage
    Well they are both native New Yorkers...
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

Sean_F said:

Weekly allowance. Right.

Well, rural_voter sure don't live anywhere rural.

The closest Majestic Wines to me are 2 and 1/2 hours drive away in Cardiff or Swansea.
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

Sean_F said:

Weekly allowance. Right.

It's a bit mystifying why someone would choose to live in the mordour that is the south east if 50k means you're struggling
    Some jobs pay well down there. Other than that, fuck knows.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Animal_pb said:

Sean_F said:

Weekly allowance. Right.

I can tell £8 from £20 and £20 from £50 but above £50 I find it tough to differentiate
    Tough.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066
    Chris said:

Animal_pb said:

Sean_F said:

Weekly allowance. Right.

How do you suppose people manage on £20k, then?
    I imagine it's incredibly tough, and explains why many kids go hungry during the school holidays. Housing costs eat up a huge fraction of people's incomes. I am not saying people on £50k are on the poverty line, I am saying that if they have a family and live in an area where they have to pay a lot for housing as well as transport, childcare etc they probably are not sitting around bitching about having to buy cheap wine.
    Also: "why do they live there then" is a dumb question because that is where the jobs and opportunities are. You're better off living on £50k/yr in London than unemployed in Hartlepool.
  • Options
    I used to drink wine but I find it gives me heartburn nowadays (probably cus it's the cheap stuff)

More importantly though - can you tell the difference between Tennents and Carling?

It's not really a question anyway cause Carling is better.

But like the good Scots lad I am I drink Tennents.

However, given #indyref2 I will be making the switch.

Let today be the birth of the hashtag-

#Carling4Tennents4indyref2
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,699
    stodge said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Guido

True. But, in this hypothetical situation of of (lets say) a 2nd Referendum with Remain v Theresa May Deal as the choice, if TM Deal won I would expect any MP that said they couldn't support this choice to either abstain on the Parliamentary vote (at least) or more properly resign as an MP.

I'm not saying it'd happen but if another Ref resulted in a Leave option being picked, it simply wouldn't be fair to allow Parliament to block it.

It's not even completely out there. General Election in September results in 330 LD MPs. They extend for 2nd Ref and put TM Deal v Remain for a March 2020 2nd Ref. 2nd Ref results in 52% for TM Leave.

330MPs then turn around, chortle and say 'fooled you, only kidding, we won't vote it through Parliament'?
This discussion has been closed.