Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Prime Minister May : Her electoral record

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Prime Minister May : Her electoral record

When Theresa May became Prime Minister she spoke about wanting to make the JAM’s (Just About Managing) feel confident about voting Conservative. As she departs as Prime Minister, let’s see if the electorate have taken that message to heart.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    First
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,274

First

I'll second that!
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Theresa May's snap election; Gordon Brown's election that never was; Ted Heath's who governs Britain? election. An encyclopaedic alternative history could be written based on wrong election calls. Will Boris yield to temptation?
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    I wonder if Boris is going to evict the Downing street cat? If he does it will be the first pussy he has turned away!
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Why the focus on by-elections and opinion polling when there have been much larger, real elections during her premiership?
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Just been looking at the polls from Spring 1976 when Callaghan replaced Wilson as PM. Labour enjoyed a boost during the Leadership campaign prior to Callaghan taking office on 5th April - but by mid- May the Tories were ahead.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

I wonder if Boris is going to evict the Downing street cat? If he does it will be the first pussy he has turned away!

Isn’t the cat essential for controlling the rodents resident in such an old building? I’ll leave it to others to make rat jokes.
  • MarxMarx Posts: 28

Why the focus on by-elections and opinion polling when there have been much larger, real elections during her premiership?

Desperation.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013

YouGov/The Times poll of Labour Party members:

81% support referendum on Irish reunification

49% support Scottish independence

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/xi390k7ca3/TheTimes_190719_LabourMemberResults_ww.pdf

I absolutely fucking despise what the Labour Party has become. That I voted for that anal pustule Jezbollah is a shame I will never get over. I stay for 2 reasons - one, putting cretins to the sword relieves my stress levels, two, we need to defeat said cretins
    edited July 2019
    I confess I thought the first series was quite funny... however it was a joke that could not sustain more than one series.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,573
    Damn, you right.

Too easily do we forget HL Mencken’s dictum.

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Wow! Jared O'Mara's comms guy!! Feel the burn.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/xi390k7ca3/TheTimes_190719_LabourMemberResults_ww.pdf

I absolutely fucking despise what the Labour Party has become. That I voted for that anal pustule Jezbollah is a shame I will never get over. I stay for 2 reasons - one, putting cretins to the sword relieves my stress levels, two, we need to defeat said cretins
    Do you oppose an NI Border Poll and/or Scottish independence?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    Marx said:

Desperation.
    By whom?

I confess I thought the first series was quite funny... however it was a joke that could not sustain more than one series.
    Dearie me.

Theresa May's snap election; Gordon Brown's election that never was; Ted Heath's who governs Britain? election. An encyclopaedic alternative history could be written based on wrong election calls. Will Boris yield to temptation?

Governments lose elections.

Snap elections need to be accompanied by tax cuts or public spending rises in the months prior to the GE. I think this makes 2020 more likely than 2019 as Boris would be making the same mistake as TM. Certainly Heath in 1974 was not offering a feel good factor! 1966 was successful for Labour but this was only 20 months or so after Labour won in October 1964. 1955 was successful for the Tories because they had strategically planned it in the fourth year after 1951 and probably had cut taxes or increased spending or both. But 1951 was a poor year for Labour and the economic backdrop was poor, which would have meant strategically aligning public spending and tax policy more difficult as they had little financial headroom.
    MPs seek to use Scottish courts to stop Westminster no-deal Brexit shutdown under Boris Johnson
    Scottish Labour MP Ian Murray is taking the case forward along with SNP MP Joanna Cherry and new Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/mps-seek-use-scottish-courts-18652816.amp
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited July 2019
    From anyone who still believes the BBC is still a great leftwing influence on society, the bizarrre but exceptionally Trump-friendly "how the middle classes ruined Britain", by a rightwing comedian on BBC2 right now, should reasonably quickly disabuse them of such a notion.
    rpjs said:

Isn’t the cat essential for controlling the rodents resident in such an old building? I’ll leave it to others to make rat jokes.
    I remember reading a story in one newspaper that stated when David Cameron was PM he was in a 'working dinner' and a mouse popped out of a crack in the wall and he was so incensed he throw a fork at it!
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

Pretty credible poll IMO - unlike RochdaleP members overwhelmingly like Jeremy (80%) and want him to lead in the next GE (earlier reports that 44% disagreed turn out to have included all don't knows) though they think he handled Brexit badly and have mixed feeling about the antisemitism issue. McDonnell, Starmer and Thornberry are seen as plausible successors, Watson and Phillips not. I think Thornberry would win if there was a selection tomorrow.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    I see Tom Watson is claiming he is a victim too.

No, you are an odious little shit who tried to smear political opponents.

Been there before with Labour haven't we.

Plus Jo Swinson admits she really isn't that bothered by Democracy, unless it suits her.
    edited July 2019

From anyone who still believes the BBC is still a great leftwing influence on society, the bizarrre but exceptionally Trump-friendly "how the middle classes ruined Britain", by a rightwing comedian on BBC2 right now, should reasonably quickly disabuse them of such a notion.

I watched the first half hour. Rather bizarre I thought. Was this a send up? Some of the points are well made about schools and catchment areas, but then we have a joke scene with a woman made up to look like drug gang member with dark glasses and scarf etc etc and an actor's voice.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

I have never forgiven myself for voting for Blair in the 1994 Leadership election that follwed John Smith's death. I did not,however, renew my membership at the beginning of 1997 and did not vote Labour again at a Parliamentary election until 2015.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Jared has put him down as undecided.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,917
    “Because he's the PM the UK deserves, but not the one it needs right now."

Marx said:

Desperation.
    By whom?
    By who Shirley?

Pretty credible poll IMO - unlike RochdaleP members overwhelmingly like Jeremy (80%) and want him to lead in the next GE (earlier reports that 44% disagreed turn out to have included all don't knows) though they think he handled Brexit badly and have mixed feeling about the antisemitism issue. McDonnell, Starmer and Thornberry are seen as plausible successors, Watson and Phillips not. I think Thornberry would win if there was a selection tomorrow.
    Punters disagree. Thornberry is 10/1 to be next Labour leader. Worth a tenner Nick?
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Legendary stuff and it's not even two hours old.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaredomaramp/status/1153742493034438656

"Hello Twitter? It's Jared O'Mara here. No, O'Mara. The Sheffield Hallam MP? Well no of course you haven't because I don't actually do any MP-ing. Can I reset my password? My Comms guy has it and has done the online equivalent of going postal...ok...well no I don't have the password but of course it's me, don't you know who I am? No, you're right, we have been through that. Anyway, take a look at what he said. Wait. What do you mean 'too funny to take down'? This is serious stuff here, I'm an elected...Hello? Hello?"
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Quite a big recent move in the betting for Starmer as next Labour leader. Very clear favourite now.
    rpjs said:

Larry has seen out two PMs so far iirc. He'll see out another couple I reckon.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,081
    kinabalu said:

Quite a big recent move in the betting for Starmer as next Labour leader. Very clear favourite now.

Lay the favourite on the basis he is the wrong gender
    kinabalu said:

I think Starmer could be like Harold Wilson, a very intelligent and capable PM. Its whether Labour is taken back from the margins to a more centre left position where they win. Instead of the hard left where I think it is pretty likely they will not win.
    Floater said:

Plus Jo Swinson admits she really isn't that bothered by Democracy, unless it suits her.

What utter bollocks!

Swinson is after more democratic accountability. Johnson, Farage and the ERG, on the other hand, are trying to force a No Deal that nobody voted for through a democratically elected parliament that doesn't support it.
    justin124 said:

I have never forgiven myself for voting for Blair in the 1994 Leadership election that follwed John Smith's death. I did not,however, renew my membership at the beginning of 1997 and did not vote Labour again at a Parliamentary election until 2015.
    So, you’ve been voting Scottish Liberal Democrat for two decades? Or are you a Tommy Sheridan man?

kinabalu said:

I think Starmer could be like Harold Wilson, a very intelligent and capable PM. Its whether Labour is taken back from the margins to a more centre left position where they win. Instead of the hard left where I think it is pretty likely they will not win.
    QTWTAIN.

kinabalu said:

I think Labour could win a GE with a fairly hard left manifesto, but not with Corbyn and all his baggage, and not without coming out firmly for a 2nd Ref.
    The Lib Dems have already selected Laura Gordon for the greatest constituency in the world.
    Sheffield Hallam's LD candidate:

https://twitter.com/LibDemLaura

The Lib Dems have already selected Laura Gordon for the greatest constituency in the world.
    Still glad you voted for O'Mara?

Floater said:

What utter bollocks!

Swinson is after more democratic accountability. Johnson, Farage and the ERG, on the other hand, are trying to force a No Deal that nobody voted for through a democratically elected parliament that doesn't support it.
    Swinson is all for democracy... in England. Unclear why Scots don’t deserve it.

I voted for Clegg in 2017 as part of my vote swap that helped the Tories gained NE Derbyshire.

kinabalu said:

I think Labour could win a GE with a fairly hard left manifesto, but not with Corbyn and all his baggage, and not without coming out firmly for a 2nd Ref.
    Agree. Corbyn is an absolute tragedy for the English left. They had waited for their chance for half a century and backed an absolute turkey. It’ll be another half century before they get another chance.

I voted for Clegg in 2017 as part of my vote swap that helped the Tories gained NE Derbyshire.
    Ah many apols - I vaguely remembered you'd voted non Tory tactically.

Any humble pie left?
    edited July 2019

Any humble pie left?
    Plenty, nobody on PB ever gets anything wrong.
    I'm going to vote for whichever party ensures I have 5G/4G coverage wherever I am in the UK.

A lack of 4G/5G is a crime against humanity.

Any humble pie left?
    Ok thanks - I don't want any with effin' pineapple on though, ok?

Any humble pie left?
    Ok thanks - I don't want any with effin' pineapple on though, ok?
    Brilliant, you will do well on here.

Has Lynton been practising his dead cat strategy for the forthcoming GE?

Has Lynton been practising his dead cat strategy for the forthcoming GE?
    :lol:
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912
    Mrs Brown's Boys is funnier than Boris Johnson.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

I absolutely fucking despise what the Labour Party has becomflsee. That I voted for that anal pustule Jezbollah is a shame I will never get over. I stay for 2 reasons - one, putting cretins to the sword relieves my stress levels, two, we need to defeat said cretins
    Thornbury deserves it for being pretty much a one-man election campaign in 2017.
    I looked on the wiki page for the current Sheffield Hallam MP and it is already informing readers about the twitter account. In a similar vein how can someone be against something and miss crucial commons votes on Brexit for instance?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,231

Any humble pie left?
    I mostly never get anything wrong.

Mostly...
    kinabalu said:

Zephyr said:

I was there in the eighties, and Thatcher and Thatcherism was clearly a minority position. As a black mirror imagine Trump winning twenty 20 from a clear minority position, as Cortez and Harris both stand against him and divide up the majority vote amongst themselves with manifestos similar to each other and drastically different to trumps. That’s the british elections of 83, 87, 2020 and 2025.

When history gets written winners tend to come out better than they were

Great points. But there is something important you may be missing.

Remainers are - on balance and on the whole - just that little bit more intelligent than Leavers. I think this is generally accepted.

So if the next election revolves around tactical voting it is more likely to work to the advantage of Labour and Lib Dem than Con and BP.
    Voting remain is a mark of intelligence. Not sure how “generally accepted” that’ll be around here.
    kinabalu said:

As others have said, I think Labour will need to find a woman for their next leader. Also, much as I admire Starmer as an intelligent and decent man who has mastered the Brexit brief and helped to drag the leadership to a sane policy on the issue, he is a bit lacking in the wow factor - does not exactly light up the room. In fact, he is like the anti Boris Johnson - all substance over style - and like it or not politics is at least 50% showbiz.
    Someone has already updated Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Arnold

But the whole entry is under review for possibly being self-promotion.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rpjs said:

Although Alan Duncan's resignation reduces the need...
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,081

kinabalu said:

As others have said, I think Labour will need to find a woman for their next leader. Also, much as I admire Starmer as an intelligent and decent man who has mastered the Brexit brief and helped to drag the leadership to a sane policy on the issue, he is a bit lacking in the wow factor - does not exactly light up the room. In fact, he is like the anti Boris Johnson - all substance over style - and like it or not politics is at least 50% showbiz.
    Now we’ll probably never see Hunt v Starmer

kinabalu said:

Zephyr said:

I was there in the eighties, and Thatcher and Thatcherism was clearly a minority position. As a black mirror imagine Trump winning twenty 20 from a clear minority position, as Cortez and Harris both stand against him and divide up the majority vote amongst themselves with manifestos similar to each other and drastically different to trumps. That’s the british elections of 83, 87, 2020 and 2025.

Remainers are - on balance and on the whole - just that little bit more intelligent than Leavers. I think this is generally accepted.

So if the next election revolves around tactical voting it is more likely to work to the advantage of Labour and Lib Dem than Con and BP.
    Voting remain is a mark of intelligence. Not sure how “generally accepted” that’ll be around here.
    It's generally accepted amongst we members of the Remainer intelligentsia :wink:

rpjs said:

I remember reading a story in one newspaper that stated when David Cameron was PM he was in a 'working dinner' and a mouse popped out of a crack in the wall and he was so incensed he throw a fork at it!
    A cousin of mine was having lunch once and he saw a mouse climbing over a painting. So he picked up his rifle (which happened to be to hand... @topping) and shot it.

Unfortunately he was drunk....

There is still a missing ear off one of the dragons in the dining room...
    Charles said:

rpjs said:

Although Alan Duncan's resignation reduces the need...
    Maybe he viewed the next occupant as a sinking ship?
    When will Boris Johnson be replaced as PM? (Shadsy)

2019 3/1
    2020 5/2
    2021 5/1
    2022 4/1
    2023 or later 4/1

kinabalu said:

Yes, I see what you mean.
    Charles said:

rpjs said:

A cousin of mine was having lunch once and he saw a mouse climbing over a painting. So he picked up his rifle (which happened to be to hand... @topping) and shot it.

Yeah that sort of thing happens in our lounge-diner quite often. :smile:
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

kinabalu said:

Zephyr said:

It's generally accepted amongst we members of the Remainer intelligentsia :wink:
    And then you prove your intelligence by cheering for remain arguments such as - there will be food shortages in a no deal brexit.

Then 2 weeks later you are cheering the remain argument that there will be so much food in the UK in a no deal brexit that 9 million sheep need to be slaughtered.

Nowt so blind as those that refuse to see.

kinabalu said:

Zephyr said:

And then you prove your intelligence by cheering for remain arguments such as - there will be food shortages in a no deal brexit.

Then 2 weeks later you are cheering the remain argument that there will be so much food in the UK in a no deal brexit that 9 million sheep need to be slaughtered.

Have you got some examples of me doing either of those things? No, I thought not.
    Charles said:

rpjs said:

You are PG Wodehouse and I claim my five guineas.

Charles said:

rpjs said:

I should clarify that this was at the office rather than at home :smiley:
    Charles said:

rpjs said:

Peak Charles
  • Awb683Awb683 Posts: 80
    So good to have a Leaver approaching No 10.

Now let's Leave.

Charles said:

rpjs said:

You are PG Wodehouse and I claim my five guineas.
    I think he's Tom from Four Weddings and a Funeral

I think Thornberry would win if there was a selection tomorrow.

Punters disagree. Thornberry is 10/1 to be next Labour leader. Worth a tenner Nick?

Yes, I think so. Punters think McDonnell might stand, which I don't think he will. Starmer is well-respected but as OLB says is possibly not flashy enough for our age. The Left will want a strong candidate, and Thornberry bridges the gap quite nicely - pretty left-wing, but the only thing people have found to use against her is that she once sent out a sardonic tweet (haven't we all) and is married to a peer.

That said, I don't think Jeremy will stand down over the next year or two.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    @twistedfirestopper3 read your post on the last thread, all the very best to you and your missus. Insofar as I have a fcking clue, tell your kids as soon as you feel it's right (in my vaguely approximate experience you'll probably know).
    Charles said:

Charles said:

rpjs said:

Oh, that's alright then. I was a bit worried for a moment. :confused:
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,231
    kinabalu said:

Much as I would like to agree with this, I don't think it's true: at the very least it's unproven, unless there's been some studies I'm unaware of. If somebody put a gun to my head and said "Name one demonstrable difference between Leavers and Remainers", I'd say the former are on average older than the latter.
    Thanks for the betting tip Nick ex-MP, but you managed to muck up the html. Don’t fall out with your comms guy over it.
    Awb683 said:

So good to have a Leaver approaching No 10.

Now let's Leave.

You'll be struggling to find excuses when it all turns out to be a lot more complicated than BoJo is suggesting...

Deep State? Elite establishment plot? Evil EU empire? Europhile 5th columnists? I am sure they will all be trotted out.
    edited July 2019

kinabalu said:

Zephyr said:

Your last sentence sums up No Deal Leavers exactly....
    Drutt said:

Charles said:

rpjs said:

Peak Charles
    I know. And raises so many unanswered questions. Like who is drunk at lunchtime? Who has a loaded rifle to hand while eating lunch? Who has dragons in their dining room? Who even has a dining room?
    I will never understand the English ruling classes.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Charles said:

rpjs said:

These things can happen..

@twistedfirestopper3 read your post on the last thread, all the very best to you and your missus. Insofar as I have a fcking clue, tell your kids as soon as you feel it's right (in my vaguely approximate experience you'll probably know).

Just caught up with this news from @twistedfirestopper3. Awful. Let's keep our collective fingers crossed on the treatment.

Drutt said:

Charles said:

rpjs said:

Peak Charles
    I know. And raises so many unanswered questions. Like who is drunk at lunchtime? Who has a loaded rifle to hand while eating lunch? Who has dragons in their dining room? Who even has a dining room?
    The fact that you need to ask these questions clearly proves you are not a member of the ruling class.

Drutt said:

Charles said:

rpjs said:

Peak Charles
    This was back in the 40s when things were a little less serious than they are today :wink:
    edited July 2019
    viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

Much as I would like to agree with this, I don't think it's true: at the very least it's unproven, unless there's been some studies I'm unaware of. If somebody put a gun to my head and said "Name one demonstrable difference between Leavers and Remainers", I'd say the former are on average older than the latter.
    The key determinant of whether a voter in England chose Leave or Remain is not age, education, social grouping, gender or any of the other of the standard ways of divvying up voter groups. It is in fact national identity:

- people who self-identified as being English voted heavily for Leave
    - people who self-identified as being British voted heavily for Remain

viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

The key determinant of whether a voter in England chose Leave or Remain is not age, education, social grouping, gender or any of the other of the standard ways of divvying up voter groups. It is in fact national identity:

Glad to hear the Scots self-identify as British :smiley:
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748

kinabalu said:

Zephyr said:

Not much, those busily defending BJ publishing a piece that argued white people are more intelligent than black folks will be OUTRAGED.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

I bet thats heavily skewed by Londoners who in my experience identify much more heavily with British than English.
    edited July 2019
    Charles said:

Charles said:

rpjs said:

Drunk, and armed, by lunchtime, in the office which has dragons in. What a morning*. Are they hiring?

* (mouse's experience excepted)
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

“whether a voter in England” Charles. A small but important detail.

Voter behaviour in NI, Scotland and Wales was driven by other factors.
    Drutt said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

rpjs said:

Drunk, and armed, by lunchtime, in the office which has dragons in. What a morning*. Are they hiring?

* (mouse's experience excepted)
    It's very dull work most of the time...

Charles said:

viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

“whether a voter in England” Charles. A small but important detail.

Voter behaviour in NI, Scotland and Wales was driven by other factors.
    should have re-read before trolling :wink:
This discussion has been closed.