Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The July local by-elections see the LD surge continuing

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited July 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The July local by-elections see the LD surge continuing

(And that’s not just party political boasting either!)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    First!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    FPT

PS if "economic growth" is the solution @DecrepitJohnL why did Brown not have a balanced budget in any of the years prior to the recession while we were growing?

The fact is he consistently overspent for years and then when the recession hit that blew the finances apart.

Brown did not overspend; Brown was the last Chancellor to run a surplus; a balanced budget is not necessarily a good thing anyway.

But deficit hawks should look away now if Boris actually means any of the spending commitments he has given, even without the effects of a possible crash-out Brexit.
    Brown in 2001 was not overspending. Then he turned the taps on.

Given 2001 Brown was able to run a surplus, why did he run a maxed-out deficit continually for half a decade prior to the financial crisis?

We were growing, there had been no downturn. So why wasn't there a balanced budget? Why were there no savings put aside for the next inevitable recession?

Or did Brown eliminate boom and bust so there would be no future recession and no need to put aside for it? Pah!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

FPT

PS if "economic growth" is the solution @DecrepitJohnL why did Brown not have a balanced budget in any of the years prior to the recession while we were growing?

The fact is he consistently overspent for years and then when the recession hit that blew the finances apart.

Brown did not overspend; Brown was the last Chancellor to run a surplus; a balanced budget is not necessarily a good thing anyway.

But deficit hawks should look away now if Boris actually means any of the spending commitments he has given, even without the effects of a possible crash-out Brexit.

Given 2001 Brown was able to run a surplus, why did he run a maxed-out deficit continually for half a decade prior to the financial crisis?

We were growing, there had been no downturn. So why wasn't there a balanced budget? Why were there no savings put aside for the next inevitable recession?

Or did Brown eliminate boom and bust so there would be no future recession and no need to put aside for it? Pah!
    Part of the reason there was no downturn was Brown's countercyclical spending.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

FPT

So basically he fecked the future to make sure he could be PM?

• Options

FPT

Countercyclical to what? 2005, 2006 etc was a year of high global economic growth. In fact in 2005 Blair and Brown were boasting on the campaign trail about how well the economy was growing and how long a period of growth the country had sustained.

So why enter the recession with an already maxed out deficit?
  • Options
    FPT
    kjh said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    The No Deal diehards like Baker and Francois are basically Brexit Party anyway, even refusing to vote for the Withdrawal Agreement at MV3 thus resulting in us still being in the EU.

Much like the diehard Remainers like Greening and Grieve who voted against both the Withdrawal Agreement and No Deal and are basically LDs who want to stop Brexit
    I agree about SB and MF being BXP, but JG and DG being remainers doesn't make them 'basically Lib Dems'
    Greening is, Grieve isn't.
    Given the 2019 LDs are simply the "bollocks to Brexit" party, Grieve is.
    What nonsense. It just happens to be the most important issue currently (and sadly for the last few years).

You might as well say the Conservative party is the 'Bollocks to Remain' party.

Oh I see your point!
    Yes 100% the Conservative Party should be the 'Bollocks to Remain' party. Remain was ruled out as an option three years ago and every Tory MP bar Ken Clarke to my knowledge was elected on a mandate to Leave. I don't think Ken Clarke personally pledged to Leave so he is the exception to the rule but Soubry, Boles, Heidi Allen, Grieve etc did.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

FPT

Countercyclical to what? 2005, 2006 etc was a year of high global economic growth. In fact in 2005 Blair and Brown were boasting on the campaign trail about how well the economy was growing and how long a period of growth the country had sustained.

Because he was introducing Tax credits to ensure people looked favourably on the Labour party. Heck I seem to remember that we qualified for them and at the time I think I was earning £40k although granted Mrs Eek wasn't working.
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn might be biased but I don't think he is very impressed by Boris.

More significantly, perhaps, he calls for a referendum on Brexit or an election.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1154452449123622915
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

FPT

kjh said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    The No Deal diehards like Baker and Francois are basically Brexit Party anyway, even refusing to vote for the Withdrawal Agreement at MV3 thus resulting in us still being in the EU.

Much like the diehard Remainers like Greening and Grieve who voted against both the Withdrawal Agreement and No Deal and are basically LDs who want to stop Brexit
    I agree about SB and MF being BXP, but JG and DG being remainers doesn't make them 'basically Lib Dems'
    What nonsense. It just happens to be the most important issue currently (and sadly for the last few years).

Oh I see your point!
    Yes 100% the Conservative Party should be the 'Bollocks to Remain' party. Remain was ruled out as an option three years ago and every Tory MP bar Ken Clarke to my knowledge was elected on a mandate to Leave. I don't think Ken Clarke personally pledged to Leave so he is the exception to the rule but Soubry, Boles, Heidi Allen, Grieve etc did.
    Not disagreeing with you there. Just having fun.

Disagree with your description of the 2109 LDs, but understand why you said it.

• Options

More significantly, perhaps, he calls for a referendum on Brexit or an election.

Blooming idiot - that means when challenged for an election he will have to accept it...
  • Options

FPT

Erm, you do remember Gordon Brown steering us around this recession?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_2000s_recession

And "maxed out deficit" is not an economic term. There is no actual credit card. Household economics does have its limits.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

The voters aren't very impressed by Corbyn

https://twitter.com/ProfTimBale/status/1154699702778155008?s=20
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Cyclefree said:

I'd like to see some detailed polling about how Boris Johnson is regarded by older women. My anecdotal experience is that even fervent Leavers in that group are not impressed.

Define "Older" ...

Being on the wrong side of 50 :( my detailed assessment is that I believe he lacks a spine (reportedly run away from too many awkward situations), his pronouncements on race and colour convince me that he is anything but tolerant and if he has a plan we are yet to hear it rather than the vague objectives that he blusters about.

Executive summary: I cannot think of a role he is fit for, but PM is not it. If he worked me I would fire him.

You’re far too soft. I’d never have hired him. He’d make a good subject for one of my investigations.
    Well ... yes! I doubt he would ever pass the interview, but if I had inherited him he would be gone at the first opportunity.

I look at his cabinet and the list of non-entities he is packing it with - Raab, Leadsome, Patel, etc and the only upside I can see is pure entertainment along the lines of the Keystone Cops.
    That’s why women usually make better managers than men: they can spot the shits that are going to ruin any hope of teamwork.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,631

FPT

Countercyclical spending assumes that there is a period of saving between the periods of spending. Brown spent in the bad times, but he also spent in the good. That's not countercyclical spending. It's just spending.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Baxtering those percentages gives:

Lib Dem 508
    Lab 47
    SNP 37
    Con 27
    Green 1
    NI 18

We can but dream....
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I'd like to see some detailed polling about how Boris Johnson is regarded by older women. My anecdotal experience is that even fervent Leavers in that group are not impressed.

Define "Older" ...

Being on the wrong side of 50 :( my detailed assessment is that I believe he lacks a spine (reportedly run away from too many awkward situations), his pronouncements on race and colour convince me that he is anything but tolerant and if he has a plan we are yet to hear it rather than the vague objectives that he blusters about.

Executive summary: I cannot think of a role he is fit for, but PM is not it. If he worked me I would fire him.

You’re far too soft. I’d never have hired him. He’d make a good subject for one of my investigations.
    Well ... yes! I doubt he would ever pass the interview, but if I had inherited him he would be gone at the first opportunity.

I look at his cabinet and the list of non-entities he is packing it with - Raab, Leadsome, Patel, etc and the only upside I can see is pure entertainment along the lines of the Keystone Cops.
    That’s why women usually make better managers than men: they can spot the shits that are going to ruin any hope of teamwork.
    Hmm. I've lost track of the number of bosses I have had over the years, some were male, some were female, and although you could split them into types, I don't think I could say woman better than man, or vice versa.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

FPT

Countercyclical spending assumes that there is a period of saving between the periods of spending. Brown spent in the bad times, but he also spent in the good. That's not countercyclical spending. It's just spending.
    Brown also "paid down Tory debt" as he put it, and was the last Chancellor with a surplus (not that that is necessarily a good thing).
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    tpfkar said:

Lib Dem 508
    Lab 47
    SNP 37
    Con 27
    Green 1
    NI 18

We can but dream....

Just as an armchair exercise, what would be on PM Swinson’s agenda with such a stunning landslide behind her, and five years of power ahead of her?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    eek said:

Blooming idiot - that means when challenged for an election he will have to accept it...
    Of course he will.

But there will be a price. Boris will be forced to backtrack on his promise to leave on October 31, and his credibility will thus suffer what in all likelihood will be a fatal blow. Farage will instantly go into betrayal mode and the ERG will follow.

There is not time for an election by 31 October unless Boris recalls parliament and kicks off the process now. Even if he starts it at the beginning of September the election could not be until mid-October at the earliest and the opposition parties would, quite reasonably, say that we cannot be faced with a no deal cliff edge a few days after polling day. If Boris is to get the required 2/3 majority to call an election he will have to seek an extension of A50 the length of which will be dictated by Labour and the EU - I guess they would probably go for at least 6 months, perhaps longer.

The FTPA has taken away the PM's power to call an election - it's incredible how many journalists and other chatterers seem not to understand that.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

Define "Older" ...

Hmm. I've lost track of the number of bosses I have had over the years, some were male, some were female, and although you could split them into types, I don't think I could say woman better than man, or vice versa.
    I’ve had a poor female boss, but she was very young and listened to idiots. I’ve had a psychopath as a boss, and he was a man. Looking at other organisations, and listening to friends, I’d say that on average you are likely to be better served by a female boss. Less likely to be totally deranged for a start.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

tpfkar said:

Lib Dem 508
    Lab 47
    SNP 37
    Con 27
    Green 1
    NI 18

We can but dream....

Just as an armchair exercise, what would be on PM Swinson’s agenda with such a stunning landslide behind her, and five years of power ahead of her?
    Ironically, PR, which would wipe that stunning majority away straight away.
  • Options

viewcode said:

FPT

Brown also "paid down Tory debt" as he put it, and was the last Chancellor with a surplus (not that that is necessarily a good thing).
    I think that was in term 1, when they were still sticking to Tory spending plans.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Interesting take on Boris in the New Yok Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/opinion/boris-johnson-britain.html
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

tpfkar said:

Lib Dem 508
    Lab 47
    SNP 37
    Con 27
    Green 1
    NI 18

We can but dream....

Ironically, PR, which would wipe that stunning majority away straight away.
    Is that it??? Five years of unadulterated power, and she only has one piece of legislation?? No wonder you guys struggle to get MPs elected.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    Through the indifference of English Tories and the repudiation of Remainer centrist dads, that's how the Union will end.

https://twitter.com/PhantomPower14/status/1154722746217226240
  • Options
    edited July 2019

eek said:

Of course he will.

But there will be a price. Boris will be forced to backtrack on his promise to leave on October 31, and his credibility will thus suffer what in all likelihood will be a fatal blow. Farage will instantly go into betrayal mode and the ERG will follow.

There is not time for an election by 31 October unless Boris recalls parliament and kicks off the process now. Even if he starts it at the beginning of September the election could not be until mid-October at the earliest and the opposition parties would, quite reasonably, say that we cannot be faced with a no deal cliff edge a few days after polling day. If Boris is to get the required 2/3 majority to call an election he will have to seek an extension of A50 the length of which will be dictated by Labour and the EU - I guess they would probably go for at least 6 months, perhaps longer.

The FTPA has taken away the PM's power to call an election - it's incredible how many journalists and other chatterers seem not to understand that.
    Not quite by asking for an election on September 3rd - it's just about possible to have an election on October 10th - the 24th October date Parliament had yesterday comes from Boris losing a VoNC on September 3rd / 4th...

• Options

tpfkar said:

Lib Dem 508
    Lab 47
    SNP 37
    Con 27
    Green 1
    NI 18

We can but dream....

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/themes/5909d4366ad575794c000000/attachments/original/1495020157/Manifesto-Final.pdf?1495020157

Here is the manifesto from two years ago, so presumably this with a few changes to reflect newly adopted policies.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

Lib Dem 508
    Lab 47
    SNP 37
    Con 27
    Green 1
    NI 18

We can but dream....

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/themes/5909d4366ad575794c000000/attachments/original/1495020157/Manifesto-Final.pdf?1495020157

Here is the manifesto from two years ago, so presumably this with a few changes to reflect newly adopted policies.
    Er... I was thinking more of a few brief bullet points that could fit on a modest Pledge Card, a la Tony. Not a mass of meaningless waffle.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

Lib Dem 508
    Lab 47
    SNP 37
    Con 27
    Green 1
    NI 18

We can but dream....

Er... I was thinking more of a few brief bullet points that could fit on a modest Pledge Card, a la Tony. Not a mass of meaningless waffle.
    First you complain about insufficient detail. Then you complain about too much. Then I give up and ignore you. Have a pleasant day.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited July 2019
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

I think that was in term 1, when they were still sticking to Tory spending plans.
    Correct. Things were going very well until the second term, and with Blair busy playing as some sort of deputy for Bush it left Brown free to start undoing the good he had done.

I quite often wonder where we'd be if Brown had kept to the strategy of 1997 to 2001. Economically and politically things seemed pretty good over those years, why tinker? I suspect we would have been a lot better off come the crash, and Brown himself might well have had the confidence to call and win an election before 2010.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    tpfkar said:

Lib Dem 508
    Lab 47
    SNP 37
    Con 27
    Green 1
    NI 18

We can but dream....

Corbyn still secure in his position as leader of the opposition then.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Of course he will.

Not quite by asking for an election on September 3rd - it's just about possible to have an election on October 10th - the 24th October date Parliament had yesterday comes from Boris losing a VoNC on September 3rd / 4th...

Doesn't change my point - Boris needs Labour to vote for an election and they will demand an A50 extension as the price of doing so.

Boris is going to crash and burn and he is going to take Brexit down with him.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited July 2019

Through the indifference of English Tories and the repudiation of Remainer centrist dads, that's how the Union will end.

64% of Scottish Leave voters still oppose Scottish independence even if 51% of Scottish Remain voters now back it, putting No to Scottish independence still narrowly ahead despite Brexit

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2019/07/could-brexit-yet-undermine-the-future-of-the-british-state/
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Cricket going to be all done by lunch...
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

eek said:

eek said:

Of course he will.

Doesn't change my point - Boris needs Labour to vote for an election and they will demand an A50 extension as the price of doing so.

Boris will go for an election after 31st Oct. Either with his new deal or a no deal brexit, which he will term a 17 deal brexit. In 17 deal brexit he has a window of 3 to 9 months before the slow down in the economy makes headline news.
  • Options

Cricket going to be all done by lunch...

Good job we bowl deep.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

eek said:

Of course he will.

We could have a one clause Bill to repeal the FTPA on day one of the new sitting, with Boris imposing a three-line whip. Why would Labour want to keep it? It hedges round restrictions on the very election they say they want.

That would provide plenty of time to call an election befoe 31st October. Where Boris goes for No Deal (although, ironically, with a deal with Farage that the Brexit Party won't stand candidates). Whilst Labour, LibDems, Greens, SNP and Plaid can all fight over whether they would revoke Article 50, have a second referendum (which they might or might not honour, depending on the outcome) or Rejoin if Boris wins.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Of course he will.

Boris will go for an election after 31st Oct. Either with his new deal or a no deal brexit, which he will term a 17 deal brexit. In 17 deal brexit he has a window of 3 to 9 months before the slow down in the economy makes headline news.
    No, Boris will be brought down by a VONC if he tries to go for no deal. And the chances of him getting a new deal from the EU are vanishingly small and he is busy making them smaller by the day.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    I think the Lib Dem surge is partly the result of the emergence of a new voter species called Homo remainicus. These guys calmly and rationally examine the voting options and pick the vote most likely to at least soften and preferably frustrate Brexit. They voted Labour in 2017, except in Scotland. They voted Lib Dem or Green in the Euro elections. And they will usually vote Lib Dem in locals, but might vote for the Greens or Labour if there is a good local case for doing so.

Every time Boris opens his mouth he is likely to create more of them.
  • Options
    JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited July 2019
    Just turned on the cricket thought it was rained off for today.

Did anyone seriously think England would let Ireland win this one?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    eek said:

eek said:

Of course he will.

But Corbyn would only agree to that on condition of an extension beyond 31st October.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    The Lib Dems have had half an hour to outline a five year programme... and managed to come up with one piece of legislation: PR. Which was the only well-known LD policy back in the 1980s.

You guys have a problem: we all know what you are against, Brexit. But what on earth are you for? Short and snappy, a la Tony. Don’t be shy.
  • Options

Not to mention the votes of "civic nationalists" like yourself.
  • Options
    kjh said:

FPT

kjh said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Oh I see your point!
    Not disagreeing with you there. Just having fun.

Disagree with your description of the 2109 LDs, but understand why you said it.

Its entirely possible at this rate Britain will still be arguing over Brexit in 2109!!
  • Options
    And another one - 14.1 overs - is that some sort of record ?
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Of course he will.

No, Boris will be brought down by a VONC if he tries to go for no deal. And the chances of him getting a new deal from the EU are vanishingly small and he is busy making them smaller by the day.
    Does Corbyn want to win an election before or after brexit is done?

I would argue after and especially in the case of no deal, he will be on the stump with the message that the country needs lots of money spent and nationalisations galore to protect jobs because of the Nasty Tory do deal Brexit.
  • Options

The Lib Dems have had half an hour to outline a five year programme... and managed to come up with one piece of legislation: PR. Which was the only well-known LD policy back in the 1980s.

You guys have a problem: we all know what you are against, Brexit. But what on earth are you for? Short and snappy, a la Tony. Don’t be shy.

They're pro-weed, dopey.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    If only we had more than two constituencies priced up (Islington N and Uxbridge).
  • Options

FPT

Erm, you do remember Gordon Brown steering us around this recession?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_2000s_recession

And "maxed out deficit" is not an economic term. There is no actual credit card. Household economics does have its limits.
    Yes there was a very minor global recession in 2000-2001, yet the UK at that time was running a surplus. Great!

The deficit expanded between 2002 onwards, so was not countercyclical. Come 2007 we'd had over half a decade of global economic boom.

And yes given the commitment we had made to keep deficits below 3%, Brown had maxed out the deficit. It was permanently above 2% so he could say it was below 3% which is fine as a long term average but not as a boomtime deficit to enter a recession with.
  • Options

They're pro-weed, dopey.
    That would explain their tardiness.
  • Options

eek said:

Of course he will.

We could have a one clause Bill to repeal the FTPA on day one of the new sitting, with Boris imposing a three-line whip. Why would Labour want to keep it? It hedges round restrictions on the very election they say they want.

That would provide plenty of time to call an election befoe 31st October. Where Boris goes for No Deal (although, ironically, with a deal with Farage that the Brexit Party won't stand candidates). Whilst Labour, LibDems, Greens, SNP and Plaid can all fight over whether they would revoke Article 50, have a second referendum (which they might or might not honour, depending on the outcome) or Rejoin if Boris wins.
    That won't work . The Lords would certinly block it never mind the Opposition.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    HYUFD said:

64% of Scottish Leave voters still oppose Scottish independence even if 51% of Scottish Remain voters now back it, putting No to Scottish independence still narrowly ahead despite Brexit

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2019/07/could-brexit-yet-undermine-the-future-of-the-british-state/
    I think there's quite a bit wishful thinking at work. A lot of people seem to think that the breakup of the UK would be a fitting punishment for having voted to leave the EU.
  • Options
    The Podsmead local by-election result is very interesting. It's an example of exactly what I, and others, were arguing about in terms of tactical voting. If a few voters who had voted Lib Dem had decided to vote "tactically" for Labour, because Labour won the ward at the previous election, then the Conservatives would have sneaked it just ahead of the Lib Dems.

I think that potential for confusion gives Johnson a great chance of winning a majority.
  • Options
    Shorty Blitz used to be my start of the weekend but they he doesn't do it anymore; and they don't even do the hotmix anymore, for shame 4music.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1154728256672866305

'the greatest political union ever'

Reminiscent of the style of another hyperbolist, can't quite put my finger on who it is though.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

I think there's quite a bit wishful thinking at work. A lot of people seem to think that the breakup of the UK would be a fitting punishment for having voted to leave the EU.
    Well, you have been naughty boys. How would you like to be punished?
  • Options
    Thibaut Pinot is in huge trouble in tour de france. Looks done for.
  • Options
    England win the test match - never in doubt I guess
  • Options

I have, but you were too lazy to read it. Your problem, not the Lib Dems'.
  • Options
    So is the cricket some sort of political omen?

Under PM May the Irish were crushing the English.

Under PM Boris the tables were swiftly turned and led to an Irish collapse.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

You haven't been listening Stuart .....

"BOLLOCKS"
  • Options

The Podsmead local by-election result is very interesting. It's an example of exactly what I, and others, were arguing about in terms of tactical voting. If a few voters who had voted Lib Dem had decided to vote "tactically" for Labour, because Labour won the ward at the previous election, then the Conservatives would have sneaked it just ahead of the Lib Dems.

I think that potential for confusion gives Johnson a great chance of winning a majority.

It depends what the tactics are trying to achieve. If your primary aim was to send a message on Brexit then voting Lib Dem in a local council makes sense - regardless of whether or not they actually win. At a general election the same impulse would lead to voting with whoever might reduce the size of the Tories' majority.
  • Options

Does Corbyn want to win an election before or after brexit is done?

I would argue after and especially in the case of no deal, he will be on the stump with the message that the country needs lots of money spent and nationalisations galore to protect jobs because of the Nasty Tory do deal Brexit.

If Boris goes for no deal Corbyn will have a never-to-be-repeated opportunity to bring him down with a VONC, which in those circumstances, and those circumstances only, would be supported by quite a few Tory MPs. It's quite possible that this could result in Corbyn becoming PM and going into an election on that basis. There is no doubt whatever that he would take such an opportunity.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

I don’t want the break up of the Union.

What I want is Brexit is seen as such an error that UK ends up rejoining the EU replete with membership of the Euro PDQ.

The reaction of Leavers would be awesome.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848

How close to a record is getting 85 first time out and still winning a completed match?
  • Options
    Shame Brexit party haven't got any seats yet - they were my euro election vote but I was too agoraphobic on the day.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Sandpit said:

How close to a record is getting 85 first time out and still winning a completed match?
    Interesting question.
  • Options
    Fake growth.

https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1154732465711435777

Q4 adjusted from 2.2% to 1.1% seems pretty substantial.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1154728256672866305

'the greatest political union ever'

Reminiscent of the style of another hyperbolist, can't quite put my finger on who it is though.

Il Duce was fond of that “Mare Nostrum” shit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_of_Fascist_Italy
  • Options

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

What I want is Brexit is seen as such an error that UK ends up rejoining the EU replete with membership of the Euro PDQ.

What odds would you put on that happening?
  • Options
    JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited July 2019
    Sandpit said:

No idea - I just watch the 2020 and ODI mainly and I still don't have much of a clue
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

According to BBC it is "the fifth-lowest first innings score to then win a Test and the lowest since 1907."
  • Options

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Oh I think deep down the leavers would be relieved. Loads more to moan about and no responsibility for anything.
  • Options

Fake growth.

https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1154732465711435777

WTF!? How do you make such a mammoth error?
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Fake growth.

twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1154732465711435777

How do you get your estimate quite so wrong? Somebody fat fingered the spreadsheet?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Fifth lowest first innings in a winning match... but all the others were more than a century ago on (presumably) exceptionally awful wickets.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Fake growth.

How do you get your estimate quite so wrong? Somebody fat fingered the spreadsheet?
    I wonder if Trump will highlight the Q4 error on twitter ?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

Interesting question.
    Another one would be how many times a team has won a match by more than their first innings total? It’s a win by an innings and runs, but based on our second innings score.
  • Options
    JackW said:

You haven't been listening Stuart .....

"BOLLOCKS"
    Oki doki, so far the Lib Dem pledgcard has:
    1. PR
    2. take a toke of this Camberwell Carrot man
    3. BOLLOCKS!

What does PM Vicky Pollard do with the other 4 years 8 months in government?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Pinot abandons...typical French, surrenders when things get a bit tough ;-)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2019
    Joe Root: wicket was sub-standard for a test match.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Pulpstar said:

Fake growth.

I wonder if Trump will highlight the Q4 error on twitter ?
    He's more likely to keep retweeting the old figures.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

Interesting question.
    Another one would be how many times a team has won a match by more than their first innings total? It’s an win by an innings and runs, but based on our second innings score.
    I imagine that's probably been more common.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Much bigger scores but the England match reminds me of this one in a slightly weird way : https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/10682/scorecard/1019985/new-zealand-vs-bangladesh-1st-test-bangladesh-tour-of-new-zealand-2016-17
  • Options
    Afternoon Morris,

Shouldn't you be watching FP2 ?

And remember - don't forget to tip whoever's quickest in FP3 for pole.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

According to BBC it is "the fifth-lowest first innings score to then win a Test and the lowest since 1907."
    Impressive from England. Not sure the convicts are getting too worried yet though!
  • Options

So is the cricket some sort of political omen?

Under PM May the Irish were crushing the English.

Under PM Boris the tables were swiftly turned and led to an Irish collapse.

T May was in the stands yesterday for the best day of English batting. Perhaps she's a good luck charm for the team (and the nation?)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

Interesting question.
    TMS said the record was 45.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    edited July 2019

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

The break up of the UK is the most plausible way that England could end up in the Eurozone. I don't see the UK rejoining as the UK if we leave.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

eek said:

Of course he will.

Yes. Boris is skewered - parliament will stop no deal, the EU will not change the deal and he cannot call an election without fatally undermining his credibility. He is completely and utterly f*ck*d.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Speaking as a SW voter, I really cannot see the Tories pushing for an election in the light of this......across the SW of England there are a stack of seats that could fall in a GE to a targetted LD push...a decade ago all of Cornwall's seats were LD not to mention couple in Somerset. Even a flicker of support for BXP could cause dramas for the Blues....
  • Options

Afternoon Morris,

Shouldn't you be watching FP2 ?

And remember - don't forget to tip whoever's quickest in FP3 for pole.

The forecast for tomorrow is thunderstorms. It could be a long day for teams and drivers. Sunday is also looking wet, but not so severely so.

Hot and sunny today though.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Joe Root: wicket was sub-standard for a test match.

That's nonsense. 303 in England second innings. 92 for nightwatchman. Ireland top order all getting a start but not pushing on in first innings. None of these point to batsman's graveyard.

What we had was England mental fragility in their first innings, Ireland showing inexperience in first innings, England posting adequate total balance n second but some not turning up, and total emotional collapse by Ireland chasing a gettable total for first Test victory. Nothing to do with the man in charge of the roller, for goodness sake.
  • Options

How many people are likely to see this?
  • Options

justin124 said:

eek said:

Of course he will.

Yes. Boris is skewered - parliament will stop no deal, the EU will not change the deal and he cannot call an election without fatally undermining his credibility. He is completely and utterly f*ck*d.
    How does “Parliament stop no deal”? What are mechanics of how this comes about?
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    I think the EU did well in their first test match in England.
This discussion has been closed.