Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

If you’re a lurker, why not delurk this One Time, if in the past you’ve said you’d never delurk, I hope you remember that you should Never Say Never, Delurking isn’t All Bad.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Good evening, everyone.

• IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    How have the Tories managed to almost destroy the NHS in 3 and a bit years? They have turned the highest ever satisfaction ratings to dust.
  • Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited November 2013
    FPT:
    Tim said:

So what, if Cameron stays as PM he'll campaign for a yes vote and it'll win
    UKIP need a different Tory leader

Or to be more accurate Farage knows perfectly well he's not about to storm the commons and win dozens of MPs so his strategy is to push the tory party as far towards full blown OUT of Europe as he can.

What is more his strategy is already having some success.
    Gove and Hammond would say No to Europe... and seven Cabinet colleagues including Duncan Smith privately agree

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2323309/Gove-Hammond-say-No-Europe--seven-Cabinet-colleagues-including-Duncan-Smith-privately-agree.html
    That's before the EU elections. Imagine the rhetoric and possibly policy shifting if the tories have a dire EU elections?

If Cameron then loses the election in 2015 the Europe genie will be well and truly out of the bottle and any future tory leader will not just have to repeat Cammie's referendum pledge but there will be a likely civil war in the tory party over whether the party and any future leadership should campaign explicitly on that with an unambiguous OUT position.

There's also the small matter of Farage and kipper voters simply not trusting Cammie's Cast Iron promise on an EU referendum. Which is hardly surprising considering so many of Cameron's own MPs clearly don't trust him either, so we get ludicrous spectacles like the absurd private members bill posturing last week and this week.

Are kipper voters all motivated primarily by OUT? Nope, but Farage is more than happy to use immigration as a weapon to push the tories ever closer to his preferred policy positions.

Farage and UKIP want out of Europe. The clue is in the name. They simply don't believe Cammie can deliver them that. Which is why they will pile the pressure on the tories so that they can have a referendum a few years after Cammie's proposed one with a tory leadership far more likely to campaign explicitly on OUT.

Why does any of this matter?

Because the kippers are quite clearly the most pressing problem Cammie & Osbrowne have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

It ain't little Ed that has them panicking it's Farage. Unless Farage implodes in a Kilroy-Silk like manner there's no way he and UKIP are crashing back to to 3% before 2015.
    The Tories should have appointed a Labour politician like Milburn to health sec. That way they could have nullified the issue. Instead they have shown once again that they simply cannot be trusted with the NHS.

Stupid. They will never get a majority until they are trusted. Cameron knew this so why did he cock it up?
  • I hope the Labour lead doesn't grow too much, they need Cameron and Osborne where the are now until polling day.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Satisfaction with NHS, no Staffordshire sub samples pre 2010...look, look, dancing nurses, lovely, lovely dancing voting nurses, lovely, lovely, dancing voting Labour nurses...
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    IOS said:

How have the Tories managed to almost destroy the NHS in 3 and a bit years? They have turned the highest ever satisfaction ratings to dust.

Can't say I've noticed.
  • I hope the Labour lead doesn't grow too much,

I don't think you've got much to worry about.
    Dr_Spyn

Stafford happened before the 2010 election. I know PB Tories love to snark. But facts are facts.

The British public love the NHS. And any party that doesn't is simply unelectable. If you don't like that fact I suggest you find a different country.
  • Gerry Hassan ‏@GerryHassan 3m
    #Specy thnks #ukip infighting is blocking #JamesDelingpole & #jongault as candidates. More like proof of sanity. http://goo.gl/E0ET8w
    IOS said:

Dr_Spyn

Stafford happened before the 2010 election. I know PB Tories love to snark. But facts are facts.

The British public love the NHS. And any party that doesn't is simply unelectable. If you don't like that fact I suggest you find a different country.

Right so you're suggesting people emigrate to fit in with healthcare ? Wouldn't it just be cheaper to go private ?
  • IOS said:

The Tories should have appointed a Labour politician like Milburn to health sec.

Alan Milburn! There's a blast from the past. My only recollection from his time as Health Secretary is the scandal that involved smearing the 94-year-old patient Rose Addis as a racist. Before your time I wouldn't wonder...
    edited November 2013

Gerry Hassan ‏@GerryHassan 3m
    #Specy thnks #ukip infighting is blocking #JamesDelingpole & #jongault as candidates. More like proof of sanity. http://goo.gl/E0ET8w

So Farage might have actually learned something from the hilarious Godfrey Bloom episode?

*chortle*
  • compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited November 2013

I hope the Labour lead doesn't grow too much,

I don't think you've got much to worry about.
    I am worried for when the Conservative Party, or maybe their MP's hit the tipping point and realise that they are not going to win the election. Will be interesting to see their reaction. Worse case scenario is if they ditch Cameron and Osborne.
    Alan

Sure go private, but then don't complain when you have to put up with Labour majority governments. Cos until the Tories learn to manage the NHS that's the only majority you will see.
    IOS said:

Alan

Sure go private, but then don't complain when you have to put up with Labour majority governments. Cos until the Tories learn to manage the NHS that's the only majority you will see.

I just think it's a bit daft to tell people to emigrate if they don't like the NHS.
    IOS said:

Alan

Learn to manage it privately you mean?
    Alistair Darling paid thousands by NHS Privatisation Company

Labour MP Alistair Darling was paid thousands of pounds by a company heavily involved in the privatisation of the English NHS, it has emerged.

In 2011, the Edinburgh MP who heads the anti-independence campaign Better Together, received over £10,000 for addressing a dinner organised by Cinven Limited.

The company is a leading buyout firm, who in 2008 bought 25 private hospitals from Bupa for £1.44bn. Other UK investments include Spire Healthcare, who run private healthcare hospitals, and whose clinical director Jean-Jacques de Gorter said the use of private sector would "spiral" as a result of Conservative MP Andrew Lansley’s reform proposals.

Mr Darling, who this week will give a speech on behalf of Better Together, is one of a string of current and former Labour MPs who have links to or have benefitted financially from companies involved in private health care.

Others who have benefitted include Mr Darling’s former Labour cabinet colleagues Alan Milburn and Patricia Hewitt who were both former Health Secretaries. Hewitt was a former advisor to Cinven and landed a lucrative £55,000 role with the firm after standing down as an MP.

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/7709-alistair-darling-paid-thousands-by-nhs-privatisation-company
  • IOS said:

The Tories should have appointed a Labour politician like Milburn to health sec.

Alan Milburn! There's a blast from the past. My only recollection from his time as Health Secretary is the scandal that involved smearing the 94-year-old patient Rose Addis as a racist. Before your time I wouldn't wonder...
    I know another story about Milburn
  • Croydon South Tories will select tonight. Don't go to bed before knowing their PPC!
  • IOS said:

Dr_Spyn

NHS is much better now than pre-2010

Patients now drink fresh water from glasses
  • tim said:

If you look at the rise in UKIP support it strangely coincides with the Omnishambles and then has a big rise with the appointment of Lynton Crosby and the Tories banging on about immigration.

...and diminishing/ abolishing pensioners extra tax allowances.....

tim said:

@MickPork

If you look at the rise in UKIP support it strangely coincides with the Omnishambles and then has a big rise with the appointment of Lynton Crosby and the Tories banging on about immigration.

Of course. It's astonishing how closely it correlates and mirrors tory party fortunes.

You can also clearly see where little Ed and labour push through which is the omnishambles and then where it falls back and then levels out.

If you trace the lines back not much has seriously changed with labour's level since after calamity Clegg's lib dem crash. Those two correlate pretty closely as well. Lib dems around 10 labour around 40ish but going a bit above and below it as fortunes dictate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

Question how big a rise in the kippers are we going to see pre EU elections? And indeed how big a fall afterwards? I'd say the May local elections were a fairly good guide so it's going to go up and down again with the tory party level going down then up in turn if the trend continues. The kipper vote will likely rise quite a bit more than the May locals but that only means the kippers have that much further to fall for them to be anywhere near the 3% or sub 5% Cameron needs.
  • The stuff of Lynton and Messina nightmares:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

I blame Falkirk.

I blame Falkirk.

You will be able to, give it time
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,548
    Link 18: Pedant alert.

It could be argued that we have third class travel on the railways. The Midland Railway scandalously abolished second class in the 1870s, and other railway companies gradually followed suit. Therefore we had only two classes - first and third. (*)

Why did they abolish second class and not third class (confusingly leaving us with 'first' and 'third' for decades?) Because an early railway act stated they had to have a third class. This rule was abolished after WWII, and 'third' was renamed 'second', and later 'standard'. But the concept is still the same - the cheapest passenger accommodation. There was a very limited exception, but I cannot remember what it was.

So the headline should really be the "return of three-class travel".

RMT's view on this is stupid - it is not as if passengers will be required to travel in open wagons (like some early third class passengers); the safety and other standards should be exactly the same, and these standards are set by a separate body.

However it should be opposed, as it makes an already complex ticketing system even more complex (see recent conversations on here). I'd be interested to know what they mean by such a scheme, and what it would mean for the passengers. I'd need some convincing that it was a worthwhile thing to do.

I think this is a little too Geeky for PB. I'll get my coat ...

(*) A reasonable summary can be found at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2465925/Return-class-train-travel-Bidders-state-run-East-Coast-line-offer-extra-tier-service-dubbed-Ryanair-rails.html
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    John Denham, Labour MP for Southampton Itchen:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/12/speak-up-for-the-english-ed-miliband

"Speak for the English, Ed Miliband

English is now a political identity, as the Portsmouth shipyard closure showed. But only Labour can make it a progressive one"
    edited November 2013

Croydon South Tories will select tonight. Don't go to bed before knowing their PPC!

My guess is it'll be Charlotte Vere. She contested Brighton Pavilion in 2010.
  • AndyJS said:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/12/speak-up-for-the-english-ed-miliband

English is now a political identity, as the Portsmouth shipyard closure showed. But only Labour can make it a progressive one"

Ed hates England
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Times has a scoop tomorrow on the F word.

The place in Scotland.

The non story place.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    IOS said:

Probably things like Stafford, bloody tories.

Oh

You labour spin bots are shameless.
  • currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Some of the discussion on here today regarding the spare room subsidy has been some of the most ill informed discussion of a subject that I can remember on this site or in fact any site for years. Have any of you ever worked for a housing needs department of a local council or know anyone who has. All the nonsense that has been spoken as fact from people who are clueless is laughable. The following link will give some clue to the issues faced:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/39457/Local_authority_housing_statistics_2011_12_v4.pdf

There is a desperate need from people living in overcrowded accommodation to move to larger more suitable accommodation. There is a huge deficit still in this country. Why should taxpayers fund single people to live in social housing that is too big for them when they could easily swap with a family living in overcrowded conditions. What is the justification? And please none of this nonsense about councils moving severely disabled people from their specially adapted home because of this policy, it will never ever happen.
  • I have only once travelled first-class on a train.
    The train I should have been on had a brick thrown through the driver's window, so we all got squeezed into the next train. I ended up in first-class - the only discernible difference I could tell were curtains.
    edited November 2013
    IOS said:

Yet in 13 years of Labour rule there wasn't a single NHS celebration at the Olympic stadium directed by a cool Britannnia luvvy...
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    IOS said:

The Tories should have appointed a Labour politician like Milburn to health sec. That way they could have nullified the issue. Instead they have shown once again that they simply cannot be trusted with the NHS.

Stupid. They will never get a majority until they are trusted. Cameron knew this so why did he cock it up?

No Labour politician worth their salt would have accepted the role, for exactly the reason you state. If they took the job then Labour couldn't whack the Coalition on health issues, which they want to do a lot. It's the same reason no-one notable accepted Gordon Brown's offer to join his cabinet of all talents.

I blame Falkirk.

So Labour and the LDs are pretty much where they were 3 years ago, but there has been a drift down in the Tory vote, with a corresponding rise in UKIP.
    edited November 2013

AndyJS said:

Ed hates England
    Does Ed hate England more than his dad hated Britain ?
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

AndyJS said:

Ed hates England
    Dont be silly.

Ed hates all of Britain not just England.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    IOS said:

Alan

Because Labour managed it so well eh?.... oh

Of course Labour made sure there were enquiries into failings, oh

Nice trolling I guess.
    Quincel said:

No Labour politician worth their salt would have accepted the role, for exactly the reason you state.

John Hutton?
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    As the Coalition has just appointed an advisor to Milburn as new CEO of the NHS, it is clear that on health policy there is next to no difference between Labour and Conservatives on health policy. Anyone who thinks over has been listening to the spinners a bit too long.
    http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6464
    Mick_Pork said:

IOS said:

Alan

Labour MP Alistair Darling was paid thousands of pounds by a company heavily involved in the privatisation of the English NHS, it has emerged.

In 2011, the Edinburgh MP who heads the anti-independence campaign Better Together, received over £10,000 for addressing a dinner organised by Cinven Limited.

The company is a leading buyout firm, who in 2008 bought 25 private hospitals from Bupa for £1.44bn. Other UK investments include Spire Healthcare, who run private healthcare hospitals, and whose clinical director Jean-Jacques de Gorter said the use of private sector would "spiral" as a result of Conservative MP Andrew Lansley’s reform proposals.

Mr Darling, who this week will give a speech on behalf of Better Together, is one of a string of current and former Labour MPs who have links to or have benefitted financially from companies involved in private health care.

Others who have benefitted include Mr Darling’s former Labour cabinet colleagues Alan Milburn and Patricia Hewitt who were both former Health Secretaries. Hewitt was a former advisor to Cinven and landed a lucrative £55,000 role with the firm after standing down as an MP.

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/7709-alistair-darling-paid-thousands-by-nhs-privatisation-company

I say is that Iain McNicol under a bus ? Now who threw him there... ?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    @NOA

"the only discernible difference I could tell were curtains."

You missed out on the main difference. You get a seat.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Neil said:

Quincel said:

No Labour politician worth their salt would have accepted the role, for exactly the reason you state.

John Hutton?
    You can't appoint a non-MP as health secretary, not in this day and age. Every notable cabinet role has to be an MP, and preferably a well-known one.
    edited November 2013

The stuff of Lynton and Messina nightmares:

I blame Falkirk.

So Labour and the LDs are pretty much where they were 3 years ago, but there has been a drift down in the Tory vote, with a corresponding rise in UKIP.
    Pretty much though if you look closely you can see that the labour and tory vote are still mirroring each other to a degree right up until the omnishambles. After that the tory vote decouples to mirror the kipper vote in a far more obvious way.

The lib dems just can't shift from their atrocious position except for very tiny variations. I don't expect that to last and it's going to go up some just before the 2015 election. Just how much it may go up depends primarily on whether the lib dems are suicidal enough to keep calamity Clegg as leader.
  • Quincel said:

It's the same reason no-one notable accepted Gordon Brown's offer to join his cabinet of all talents.

Two Tories took up roles at 'advisers' though - that heavyweight duo of unquestionable ability and stature John Bercow and Patrick Mercer.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    TGOHF Ralph Miliband did not hate Britain, he simply wanted to hand it over to the Soviet Union in the quest for worldwide 'dictatorship of the proletariat.'

OT RIP John Rutter, one of the greatest composers of the century
    Floater

You can whinge all you like but arguing with the general public isn't going to win the Tories an election. Rightly or wrongly these are electoral facts.

The public love the NHS
    They trust Labour to run the NHS. They now no longer trust the Tories.

Cameron is going to throw away a huge number of Tory seats on this and make his successors job a lot lot harder. Whenever a Tory opposition leader talks passionately about the NHS, Labour will just say two words. David Cameron.
    A Falkirk story on PMQs day - a rum old turn of events.
    edited November 2013
    @Neil

"Dont be silly.

Ed hates all of Britain not just England."

.....And his Brother who he stabbed in the back and his wife who he only married for political reasons and the English language which he speaks nasally and big business which he wants to destroy and successful energy businesses by starving them of capital.........

Can I be a Tory Candidate or write a blog for the Telegraph?
  • IOS said:

Floater

You can whinge all you like but arguing with the general public isn't going to win the Tories an election. Rightly or wrongly these are electoral facts.

The public love the NHS

Cameron is going to throw away a huge number of Tory seats on this and make his successors job a lot lot harder. Whenever a Tory opposition leader talks passionately about the NHS, Labour will just say two words. David Cameron.

What a complete mug you are.

One word, not two: Staffordshire
    Nigel

That word has no cut through. When will Tories learn.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited November 2013
    Chris Philp selected in Croydon South. He narrowly lost to Glenda in Hampstead in 2010. He was runner up in Tonbridge selection last week
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Floater said:

IOS said:

Alan

Because Labour managed it so well eh?.... oh

Of course Labour made sure there were enquiries into failings, oh

Nice trolling I guess.

You do know there was already a report into Stafford don't you...and who initiated it do you think?

Who has a lead on the NHS in the polls ? Maybe the public recognises that their personal experience of the NHS got better under Labour despite localised scandals.

But hey don't let facts get in the way of a rant

Dont hold your breath on health policy. Labour privatised more of the NHS. than Thatcher, Major or Cameron.

The rest is just spin. If privatisation is so bad why did Labour do it, with Balls and Miliband in the cabinet that passed the policies?
    IOS said:

Floater

The public love the NHS

TGOHF

A word that really has no cut through.
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

A Falkirk story on PMQs day - a rum old turn of events.

Cameron has got parliament to rise on a Tuesday again so he can avoid PMQs, god knows what this holiday is meant to be
    Did nobody tell the Times ?

As the Coalition has just appointed an advisor to Milburn as new CEO of the NHS, it is clear that on health policy there is next to no difference between Labour and Conservatives on health policy. Anyone who thinks over has been listening to the spinners a bit too long.
    http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6464

Mick_Pork said:

IOS said:

Alan

You mean it's clear that on health policy there's next to no difference between labour and the coalition. Clegg might have been as incompetent as Cammie in not reading Lansley's health reform shambles but the lib dems still voted for it in the end.

Dont hold your breath on health policy. Labour privatised more of the NHS. than Thatcher, Major or Cameron.

Dont you realise? IOS doesnt care about health policy. He's interested in who wins the next election and which policy areas are better for which parties. Labour needs to hurry on and find him a safe ward in Southwark (ie somewhere far from where he lives) and then get him into Westminster.
  • IOS said:

Nigel

That word has no cut through. When will Tories learn.

Think you have some harsh lessons to learn, starting with your wonderful Labour Party are not as wonderful as you think.

Every time you lot mention something about how terrible the Tories are, there is an example of how Labour are twice as bad.

The last thing I would be campaigning on if I was a leftie idiot would be the NHS. What are you going to do, wheel Burnham out to tell everyone how much better it was under him?

Perhaps you could use Wales as an example, after all aren't your lot still running it? How is it performing in Wales, while you are at it why don't you check to see how education is performing in Wales, you're still in charge of that as well.

Like I said you are a complete mug.
    Come on. Defend Labours privatisation and PFI policy for the NHS. Defend Blairs Foundation Trusts like Stafford or the Milburn target culture.

And pretend that the coalition has different policies, because it is all pretence.

IOS said:

TGOHF

A word that really has no cut through.

• old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited November 2013
    A very misleading headline by the Guardian
    Lib Dem MPs join Labour in voting against bedroom tax

Only two, Tim Farron and Andrew George, voted against.
    Rasmussen 2014 Congressional ballot poll

•Democrats 41% (43%) (43%) (43%) (45%) (42%) (40%)
    •Republicans 39% (37%) (37%) (36%) (38%) (38%) (37%)
    NBC 2016 general election

•Hillary Clinton (D) 44%
    •Chris Christie (R) 34%
    •Some other candidate (vol.) 3%
    •Would not vote (vol.) 5%
    •Don’t know (vol.) 12%

Among Independents
    •Hillary Clinton (D) 39%
    •Chris Christie (R) 35%
    Lib Dem MPs who voted with the government and for the bedroom tax

BEITH, Alan, Rt Hon
    BRAKE, Tom
    BROWNE, Jeremy, Mr
    BRUCE, Malcolm, Rt Hon
    BURSTOW, Paul, Mr
    BURT, Lorely, Ms
    CAMPBELL, Menzies, Rt Hon
    CARMICHAEL, Alistair, Mr
    DAVEY, Edward, Mr
    FOSTER, Don, Mr
    GILBERT, Stephen, Mr
    HAMES, Duncan, Mr
    HARVEY, Nick, Mr
    HEATH, David, Mr
    HEMMING, John, Mr
    HORWOOD, Martin, Mr
    HUGHES, Simon, Mr
    HUNTER, Mark, Mr
    LAMB, Norman, Mr
    MOORE, Michael, Mr
    MUNT, Tessa, Ms
    PUGH, John, Mr
    ROGERSON, Dan, Mr
    RUSSELL, Bob, Mr
    SMITH, Robert, Sir
    STUNELL, Andrew, Mr
    SWINSON, Jo, Ms
    THURSO, John, Mr
    WEBB, Steve
    WILLIAMS, Stephen, Mr
    Fox

I do not need to defend any Labour policies on the NHS because the public doesn't want us to. They Trust Labour with an institution that they love. They do not Trust the Tories.

This is all David Cameron's fault. Don't complain at me. Complain at the guy that tried to neutralise the NHS but then turned on his word.

Lib Dem MPs who did not vote

ALEXANDER, Danny, Mr
    BIRTWISTLE, Gordon, Mr
    BROOKE, Annette, Ms
    CABLE, Vince, Mr
    CLEGG, Nick
    CROCKART, Mike
    FEATHERSTONE, Lynne, Ms
    HUPPERT, Julian, Mr
    KENNEDY, Charles, Rt Hon
    LAWS, David, Mr
    LEECH, John, Mr
    LLOYD, Stephen, Mr
    MULHOLLAND, Greg, Mr
    REID, Alan, Mr
    SANDERS, Adrian, Mr
    SWALES, Ian, Mr
    TEATHER, Sarah, Ms
    THORNTON, Mike, Mr
    WARD, David, Mr
    WILLIAMS, Mark, Mr
    WILLIAMS, Roger, Mr
    WRIGHT, Simon, Mr
    Nigel.

The public do not think that. The public Trust Labour with the NHS. They don't trust the Tories.

Whether Labour are actually any better doesn't matter one jot.
    Link here of Lib Dem votes on the bedroom tax
    http://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/28817886
    I agree. All three parties went into the 2010 election advocating increased use of the private sector. I struggle to get a cigarette paper between the three parties on health policy.

Labour leads on NHS issues, but it is a lead based on a lie. I know because I see it every day.
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

IOS said:

Alan

You mean it's clear that on health policy there's next to no difference between labour and the coalition. Clegg might have been as incompetent as Cammie in not reading Lansley's health reform shambles but the lib dems still voted for it in the end.

• IOS said:

Fox

I do not need to defend any Labour policies on the NHS because the public doesn't want us to. They Trust Labour with an institution that they love. They do not Trust the Tories.

This is all David Cameron's fault. Don't complain at me. Complain at the guy that tried to neutralise the NHS but then turned on his word.

Answer my question, how is the NHS in Wales performing?

How is education in Wales performing?
    You can tell he hates England because he follows baseball, supports the Boston Red Sox and has even tweeted about it.
    Roger said:

@Neil

"Dont be silly.

Ed hates all of Britain not just England."

.....And his Brother who he stabbed in the back and his wife who he only married for political reasons and the English language which he speaks nasally and big business which he wants to destroy and successful energy businesses by starving them of capital.........

Can I be a Tory Candidate or write a blog for the Telegraph?

@Old Labour

Where's Farron?

Interesting that positioning for the leadership should be taking such public form. Farron obviously can't tell which way the wind's blowing. A necessary quality for a Lib Dem wannabe leader
    Nigel

That is an irrelevant question. I am calling things as the public sees them. The public Trusts Labour. They don't trust the Tories.

And the Tories and David Cameron are going to get punished pretty much no what happens this winter. Because "Tories trash the NHS" is easy copy for the press and one that the public understands and buys. This is Cameron's fault.
    He voted with Labour.
    Roger said:

@Old Labour

Where's Farron?

Interesting that positioning for the leadership should be taking such public form. Farron obviously can't tell which way the wind's blowing. A necessary quality for a Lib Dem wannabe leader

So you agree that the policy differences are negligible and Labours lead is based on perception rather than reality?

Labour is building up expectations it cannot, or will not, meet. It is going to be a Hollande like disappointment to voters.

As Johnny Rotton sagely observed:

"Ever felt that you've been cheated?"

But its all about jobs for the SPADs, not about policy. Its just about fooling enough of the people enough of the time.
    IOS said:

Fox

Farron has no future leadership ambitions of course. Perish the thought. ;)

Amusing to see wee Danny Alexander not voting. That should upset certain scottish tory surgers. :D

Even more hilarious is seeing future leadership 'tip' Carmicheal voting for the bedroom tax.
    I fear that might not go down too well in scotland but it's what Cammie and Clegg want which is why Carmichael is scottish secretary after all. To do exactly what they tell him.

*chuckles*
    @OL

"He voted with Labour."

Sorry I missed that post. I think we've got the next Lib Dem leader then.

Before or after the election is the only question
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    "Whenever a Tory opposition leader talks passionately about the NHS, Labour will just say two words. David Cameron. "

I don't want a leader who talks passionately about the NHS. I want someone who ensures that we get the best health care we can for the money we spend on it - how that is done is of no interest to me. I don't want passion; I want competence.

Labour are full of passion but I'm less convinced that they are competent. The Tories think that by being passionate they can overcome a feeling that when they talk about efficiency they really mean who can make money out of our health. Both parties miss the point.
  • IOS said:

Nigel

That is an irrelevant question. I am calling things as the public sees them. The public Trusts Labour. They don't trust the Tories.

And the Tories and David Cameron are going to get punished pretty much no what happens this winter. Because "Tories trash the NHS" is easy copy for the press and one that the public understands and buys. This is Cameron's fault.

Too frightened to answer it? Typical leftie coward, just answer the question

Are you so stupid that you don't think these things will be mentioned in the run up to the election? These are live examples that are happening now, not pre-2010. There is no way that even lying idiots lîke you and Tim can get away with how great the NHS and education are under Labour when there is a live example on our doorstep

No wonder you are a prospective Labour MP, you are deceitful, dishonest and thick to boot.
    Fox

I could debate you on the policy differences - and I do think there are many - but I can't be bothered. They are irrelevant. Certainly any discussion between me and you is.

I am just trying to help PB Tories understand why they are so so bad at politics. Keep banging on about Falkirk guys. Keep think Stafford will shield you from Cameron's cock up.
    edited November 2013
    12 candidates have now been selected to replace a retiring MP:

1. Julie Pörksen, LD: Berwick-upon-Tweed
    2. Karin Smyth, Lab: Bristol South
    3. Craig Williams, Con: Cardiff North
    4. Chris Philp, Con: Croydon South
    5. Vikki Slade, LD: Dorset Mid & Poole North
    6. Liz Evans, Lab: Gower
    7. Tulip Siddiq, Lab: Hampstead & Kilburn
    8. Lisa Smart, LD: Hazel Grove
    9. Vicky Foxcroft, Lab: Lewisham Deptford
    10.Robert Jenrick, Con/Ind: Newark
    11.Rowenna Davis, Lab: Southampton Itchen
    12.Tom Tugendhat, Con: Tonbridge & Malling
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    I suspect that Tim Farron will be quick to highlight how he voted tonight during the next Libdem Leadership campaign. I can almost hear the violins now as he tells the faithful of how awful it was being trapped in a Coalition Government, but how he kept up his cheeky chappie spirits by running his own personal resistance operation from behind enemy lines. And all so he can claim to be untainted by any by association with the Coalition, unlike his opponents.

Maybe Danny's dad locked him in the spare bedroom and would not let him out until after the vote :)
    Mick_Pork said:

Farron has no future leadership ambitions of course. Perish the thought. ;)

Amusing to see wee Danny Alexander not voting. That should upset certain scottish tory surgers. :D

Even more hilarious is seeing future leadership 'tip' Carmicheal voting for the bedroom tax.
    I fear that might not go down too well in scotland but it's what Cammie and Clegg want which is why Carmichael is scottish secretary after all. To do exactly what they tell him.

*chuckles*
    Nigel

I really don't think you understand polling. These are facts. If you don't like them. Don't let people like Cameron say they won't reorganise the NHS and then when in power do just that!

I know you don't like it. I know you think it isn't fair. But this is Cameron's fault and he absolutely deserves it.
  • So tonight the Labour party [bedroom tax] motion was defeated by 252 to 226 I am still to find a comprehensive list of those who voted yea or nae. But if all 257 Labour MPs had turned up they would have defeated the government. My calculations show around 30 were missing. Who were they and I wonder why they didn't turn up to vote? Is this embarrassing for ED?

http://ukgeneralelection2015.blogspot.com/2013/11/bedroom-tax-vote-where-were-all-labour.html?spref=tw
    Did you know Simon Heffer went to school with Grayson Perry? A more unlikely pair you could not imagine.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2501589/My-old-class-mates-town-needs-grammar-school-SIMON-HEFFER.html

Is this embarrassing for ED?

No, it isnt.
    OldLabour/Carlotta Please could we not keep referring to it as the bedroom 'tax' since when has removal of a handout in the form of a spare room subsidy constituted a tax?
    PFI, privatisation and the internal market. Thats Burnham and Labours policy before, and is its current policy. Labour has not promised to increase health expendifure. Any differences are a figleaf for electoral purposes.

If that is what Labour is planning for next time, then any voters hopes are going to be dashed very quickly.

It is the naked cynicism to deliberately pull the wool over voters eyes that bothers me.

The next Labour govt is going to be a major disappointment. Lib Dems should steer clear, so yhey are not involved in a furthrr car crash.
    IOS said:

Fox

I could debate you on the policy differences - and I do think there are many - but I can't be bothered. They are irrelevant. Certainly any discussion between me and you is.

I am just trying to help PB Tories understand why they are so so bad at politics. Keep banging on about Falkirk guys. Keep think Stafford will shield you from Cameron's cock up.

I would like to know the names of the abstainers as well. My sister's Labour MP did not turn up to vote and Anas Sarwar's name has been popping up on Twitter for his non-appearance.

On votes like this, Labour MPs should be showing up en masse to harry the government as much as possible.

So tonight the Labour party [bedroom tax] motion was defeated by 252 to 226 I am still to find a comprehensive list of those who voted yea or nae. But if all 257 Labour MPs had turned up they would have defeated the government. My calculations show around 30 were missing. Who were they and I wonder why they didn't turn up to vote? Is this embarrassing for ED?

http://ukgeneralelection2015.blogspot.com/2013/11/bedroom-tax-vote-where-were-all-labour.html?spref=tw

edited November 2013
    Foxy

"So you agree that the policy differences are negligible and Labours lead is based on perception rather than reality?"

The difference is HUGE.

Labour give a shit and that's a massive difference.

I'm having some very expensive treatment at the moment so I asked the hospital whether it was any use to them that I was in BUPA. I didn't want any different or private treatment just that they as a charitable trust they might be able to use the money. In no uncertain terms they said they don't touch private medicine but I would be welcome to go to the local BUPA hospital if I wanted.

I really like the NHS their employees and Labour's part in it.
  • currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Its interesting that the worst chancellor in history, that incompetent fop who will lead this country to financial ruin and 5 million unemployed is no longer the topic of discussion anymore on this site. Could it be inflation at 2.2%, excellent growth figures, falling unemployment, record employment ,a buoyant economy and a falling deficit have led to this. Its amazing with Osborne being so incompetent that such things are happening. As well all know Balls, Miliband and Blanchflower are always right.
    Fox

The next Labour government is going to be a majority. Something the Tories cannot achieve cos they simply cannot get the "politics" right.

Cameron should never ever have given Lansley that position. He should have stuck Vince there.
    Tim Farron, the Lib Dem president, is set to vote against the government on the bedroom tax tonight, I’m told. A friend of Farron’s tells me: ”Party conference in Glasgow expressed its will very strongly against the bedroom tax and so Tim is listening to party members and will probably be voting against the government tonight. Tim is the voice of the party members, they have expressed their view and Tim wants to make sure that their voice is heard.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/12/ed-daveys-speech-to-energy-firms-telling-them-not-to-be-greedy-politics-live-blog#block-52824443e4b0f37bee4ff59b
    Poor old Calamity Clegg what a shame.

LOL
    Do MPs still have a pairing system? That might explain why some Labour MPs weren't voting.
    There is no such thing as a "spare room subsidy" because no such thing existed in the first place.
    HYUFD said:

OldLabour/Carlotta Please could we not keep referring to it as the bedroom 'tax' since when has removal of a handout in the form of a spare room subsidy constituted a tax?

BUPA has no UK hospitals. They were sold some years ago, to Cinvin, who have former Labour Minister Patricia Hewitt on the advisory panel.

Labour privatised clinical treatments to private companies such as Circle health and Virgin. So spare us the cant.
    Roger said:

Foxy

"So you agree that the policy differences are negligible and Labours lead is based on perception rather than reality?"

The difference is HUGE.

Labour give a shit and that's a massive difference.

I'm having some very expensive treatment at the moment so I asked the hospital whether it was any use to them that I was in BUPA. I didn't want any different or private treatment just that they as a charitable trust they might be able to use the money. In no uncertain terms they said they don't touch private medicine but I would be welcome to go to the local BUPA hospital if I wanted.

I really like the NHS their employees and Labour's part in it.

• IOS said:

Nigel

I really don't think you understand polling. These are facts. If you don't like them. Don't let people like Cameron say they won't reorganise the NHS and then when in power do just that!

I know you don't like it. I know you think it isn't fair. But this is Cameron's fault and he absolutely deserves it.

What I don't like is that scum like you just care about getting elected, not making anything better.

Too scared to answer my questions as well, not only are you deceitful, dishonest and thick you are also a lily livered coward.

Any wonder people hate politicians when there are scumbags like you standing for parliament?
    Jim Murphy abstained on the bedroom tax, according to Twitter.
This discussion has been closed.