Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It should be between 2am and 4am that we get the Brecon result

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited August 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It should be between 2am and 4am that we get the Brecon result

Tonight could be very interesting for political historians.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    First!
  • Options
    LD coming First! Just like me on this thread :smiley:
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    if Lib Dems dont win with 3 party support they dont deserve to win anywhere
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    Any news on turnout?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,633
    Beginning of the end for the Tories perhaps. Although it will be interesting to see how close they get. And god forbid the LDs cannot win even under these conditions, that would be embarrassing .
  • Options
    Mike's first table is what made me back the Tories and Brexit in what are now crappy odds.

I evened up after Farage quotes but I think I'm going to be down.

Don't think I'll bother with Sheffield if it happens
  • Options
    Day of Brecon-ing!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    I’m most interested in seeing what happens to the Labour vote.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    How is the betting moving?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    What is it with Farage and aircraft towing banners? I presume he's learnt better than to actually fly in the plane this time.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I wonder what it is with Nigel Farage and aeroplanes? It is hardly man of the people stuff! Maybe Nigel Farage should knock these environmentally unfriendly machines on the head. I doubt they add any votes to the Brexit party candidate so why bother? Farage would be better getting pissed in a pub on election day like in Peterborough in the recent by-election as that made no difference to that result either.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

Any news on turnout?

Brisk.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "LIVE: Brecon & Radnorshire by-election votes counted"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-wales-politics-49103064
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

I’m most interested in seeing what happens to the Labour vote.

Will probably not move much.

If it collapses entirely, that would potentially be significant. If there are signs of it moving to the Liberal Democrats - which should not be happening here - then Labour are in big, big trouble.

But I would guess if it falls significantly it will be due to abstentions.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited August 2019
    kle4 said:

Beginning of the end for the Tories perhaps. Although it will be interesting to see how close they get. And god forbid the LDs cannot win even under these conditions, that would be embarrassing .

On today's Mori the LDs should win tonight by about 42% to 41% for the Tories but I expect it will be more through their by election machine
  • Options
    rpjs said:

What is it with Farage and aircraft towing banners? I presume he's learnt better than to actually fly in the plane this time.

I hope the Brexit Party declares the cost of it on their returns.

I know what a stickler Farage is when it comes to electoral law.
  • Options
    Sophy!!!
  • Options

rpjs said:

You Kent be serious.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Nice parting gift to Boris from Theresa May! :D
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

You Kent be serious.
    Well one of the words I associate with Farage is often turned to 'Kent' by auto-correct.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited August 2019
    How many Muslims are there in Brecon and Radnorshire, enough for Farage to moan like a whore when the result is announced or is it another Slough general?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

You Kent be serious.
    Well one of the words I associate with Farage is often turned to 'Kent' by auto-correct.
    Canterbury?

Countryside?

Cannot?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

You Kent be serious.
    Canterbury?

Countryside?

Cannot?
    What 'couldn't' sounds like when my Yorkshire accent kicks in.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    If I was there I'd vote Lib-Dem to get the Con expenses fiddler out!

God knows what the Tories were thinking making him their candidate,
  • Options

How many Muslims are there in Brecon and Radnorshire, enough for Farage to moan like a whore when the result is announced or is it another Slough general?

Have you burned your tory card yet? Or are you Team Blue for tonight?
  • Options
    Not much intel from the Ridgster
  • Options
    Getting closer to an October general election. :D
  • Options

I hope the crook loses tonight, it would send a terrible signal if he was elected.
  • Options

In 2011 98.9% of the constituency was of white ethnic origin. I would have thought the majority of the 1.1% was Chinese rather than Indian. So I am guessing the answer is 'very few.'
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Surely the Pro-Brexit Tory Incumbent seeking re-election cannot lose in a seat that voted for Brexit? If the Tories don't win here under a Pro-Brexit leader in Boris Johnson, then maybe the electorate is having second thoughts about Brexit...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561

rpjs said:

Hah! It's probably owned by one of their ordinary 'man of the people' backers, so no charge.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see what happens to Labour here.

Could they drop into the hundreds?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619
    OK, boys and girls. Some quick questions:

1) POSTAL VOTES
    One way of predicting an election is postal vote verification. Postal votes are verified, the party apparatchiks are allowed to invigilate, gossip leaks out. Has anybody heard anything?

2) DIFFERENTIAL TURNOUT
    Are there any reports of areas voting more/less than before? Naice middle-class people queuing? Council estate folk voting lots? Farmers?

3) GOSSIP
    The chatter coming out of B&R is uncertain Libs and Con politicians staying away in droves. Has anybody got goss?

4) NEWS FROM THE COUNT
    Is anybody at the village hall/sports center watching the votes pile up?

5) MODELLERS
    Has anybody done a model of the vote?
  • Options

I hope the crook loses tonight, it would send a terrible signal if he was elected.
    The signal would be that Jane Dodds is so shit she can't even win a by-election against a convicted fraudster.

And she probably couldn't under other circumstances. She might just do it tonight but her performance looks set to be underwhelming.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Surely the Pro-Brexit Tory Incumbent seeking re-election cannot lose in a seat that voted for Brexit? If the Tories don't win here under a Pro-Brexit leader in Boris Johnson, then maybe the electorate is having second thoughts about Brexit...
    Nice try but as the Con candidate has a criminal conviction for cheating his expenses I'm not sure its going to fly... ;)
  • Options

rpjs said:

Hah! It's probably owned by one of their ordinary 'man of the people' backers, so no charge.
    Still has to be declared, otherwise you could bypass the spending limits with in kind donations.
  • Options
    Lewis Goodall
    @lewis_goodall
    ·
    11m
    Talking to voters here, it's clear the Lib Dems have swarmed this constituency with activists. Some have told me they've been called upon half a dozen times today alone by the party. Several have used the same phrase to me: "they've thrown the kitchen sink at it."
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

As many as that !!!!
  • Options

rpjs said:

Still has to be declared, otherwise you could bypass the spending limits with in kind donations.
    Fair point. Good job for the LDs that volunteers' time is not valued as a donation in kind.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

As many as that !!!!
    Although nobody will pay any attention to it, that is probably, from a national perspective, the key figure to watch,
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,941
    My prediction. Labour vote to crater. To both Brexit and Lib Dems. Giving the latter a win.
    Wouldn't be surprised if overtures to La Farage were made tomorrow.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    GIN1138 said:

If I was there I'd vote Lib-Dem to get the Con expenses fiddler out!

God knows what the Tories were thinking making him their candidate,

May turn out to be a shrewd move. If he wins then it's 'Triumph for Boris'. Lose and it's 'not Boris's fault - blame the silly old local party for choosing a crook'.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Well I’m not going to offer to eat my hat but I am amazed at some of the predictions so far.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    It's not possible. Parliament doesn't allow either/or votes.

He could hold a vote on revocation, probably he would win, and MPs would go back to looking for ways to block no deal, but it's just possible that he loses and then has to revoke, at which point he's pretty certain to be toast (PM Farage all but nailed on).
  • Options
    Wasn't it about this time of evening that Peterborough was a nailed on win for the BXP?

I do hope the LDs don't fall short but I'm not going to count chickens before they hatch.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

My prediction. Labour vote to crater. To both Brexit and Lib Dems. Giving the latter a win.

Labour votes alone won't do it for the Liberal Democrats, even if they all moved across. And given the nature of the Labour vote here, any defection or even any sign of defection to the Yellows should cause utter panic among Corbynistas.
  • Options
    Problem is he might think he would win seeking a new mandate but would be risk it so soon when it would mean, if he loses, that he is the shortest serving PM? A man as vain as Boris?
  • Options
    US President Donald Trump has announced fresh tariffs of 10% on another $300bn of Chinese products from 1 September.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49199559
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    ydoethur said:

The signal would be that Jane Dodds is so shit she can't even win a by-election against a convicted fraudster.

And she probably couldn't under other circumstances. She might just do it tonight but her performance looks set to be underwhelming.
    This is a wider problem for the Lib Dems, especially post-2015: their talent pool. Some PPCs in what ought to be target seats (30th in the list or so) are simply not very good.
  • Options
    Purely on expectations management the Tories can only really surprise on the upside, so well done them I guess?
  • Options
    theProle said:

It's not possible. Parliament doesn't allow either/or votes.

He could hold a vote on revocation, probably he would win, and MPs would go back to looking for ways to block no deal, but it's just possible that he loses and then has to revoke, at which point he's pretty certain to be toast (PM Farage all but nailed on).
    Sensible post until someone tacked on some nonsense in brackets at the end. :wink:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Purely on expectations management the Tories can only really surprise on the upside, so well done them I guess?

I have not been paying attention... have the Tories put out some dampener messages?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

On today's Mori the LDs should win tonight by about 42% to 41% for the Tories but I expect it will be more through their by election machine
    Sound plausible - win by 1500 or so? The Tories will say "better than expected", the LibDems will say "triumph" and labour will say "tactical voting". As a Labour voter I'd be very tempted because of the strategic position (and conversely I wouldn't read anything into the expected Labour collapse - if I'd be tempted, any Labour voter would be).
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Sound plausible - win by 1500 or so? The Tories will say "better than expected", the LibDems will say "triumph" and labour will say "tactical voting". As a Labour voter I'd be very tempted because of the strategic position (and conversely I wouldn't read anything into the expected Labour collapse - if I'd be tempted, any Labour voter would be).
    But Labour HQ says that the Tory enablers are worse than the Tories themselves?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

This is a wider problem for the Lib Dems, especially post-2015: their talent pool. Some PPCs in what ought to be target seats (30th in the list or so) are simply not very good.
    Even allowing for that, she was a foolish choice. Roger Williams or Kirsty Williams should have been begged to stand.

This is a very strange by-election and I think it will cause massive confusion in the media narrative - only ITV seems to have grasped the complexity of it. But quite simply, it's obvious that both the parties in contention have, for whatever reason, chosen unsuitable candidates who would certainly have lost had they not been facing each other.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Labour votes alone won't do it for the Liberal Democrats, even if they all moved across. And given the nature of the Labour vote here, any defection or even any sign of defection to the Yellows should cause utter panic among Corbynistas.
    Why? They are aware that voting LD cuts the government majority to one aren't they? They are also aware Labour isn't going to win aren't they? So why not? Third party vote gets squeezed happens regularly at by elections up and down the country when it is known to be close.
    I know you will claim that the Labour vote here is mainly drawn from the Valleys, but they know the facts outlined above as well as anyone else.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

ydoethur said:

Having totally crap candidates doesn't seem to have held back the Tories or Labour much over the past 50 years or more.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    My prediction from yesterday:

LD 45%
    Con 37%
    BRX 11%
    Lab 5.5%
    UKIP 1.2%
    Loony 0.3%

Turnout 62%

In terms of votes, the result would be something like this:

LD 15,600
    Con 12,800
    BRX 3,800
    Lab 1,900
    UKIP 400
    Loony 100
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited August 2019
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

As many as that !!!!
    Although nobody will pay any attention to it, that is probably, from a national perspective, the key figure to watch,
    The Lib Dems really have to win this tonight and win it well

They are up against a discredited conservative candidate and with a split brexit vote

They have sent an army of volunteers into the constituency and managed to persuade Plaid of all parties, and the Greens to stand down to collect the remain vote. Add in labour tactical voting it would be expected.

However a GE is a very different proposition as it is highly unlikely the other parties will give a free pass and of course by then Boris will have had to negate BP or he will not gain a majority and will struggle to lead a minority government

And to all labour supporters just imagine you had Yvette Cooper or Starmer or Benn you would not only win this seat but probably a majority at a GE

Corbyn is your albatross
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Why? They are aware that voting LD cuts the government majority to one aren't they? They are also aware Labour isn't going to win aren't they? So why not? Third party vote gets squeezed happens regularly at by elections up and down the country when it is known to be close.
    I know you will claim that the Labour vote here is mainly drawn from the Valleys, but they know the facts outlined above as well as anyone else.
    Because they are so fucking tribal. They vote Labour, not for some abstract principle of government.

Have you ever been to Ystradgynlais? It really does feel like the end of the world sometimes. It's hard to think how it could be more remote from Westminster or how Westminster's constant squabbling could be less relevant to it.

So no, they will not be thinking like that.

Or if they do, the end of Labour is upon us.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    kle4 said:

Beginning of the end for party leading in the polls ?

Lol.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even allowing for that, she was a foolish choice. Roger Williams or Kirsty Williams should have been begged to stand.

This is a very strange by-election and I think it will cause massive confusion in the media narrative - only ITV seems to have grasped the complexity of it. But quite simply, it's obvious that both the parties in contention have, for whatever reason, chosen unsuitable candidates who would certainly have lost had they not been facing each other.
    Sounds like the 2016 POTUS election!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Because they are so fucking tribal. They vote Labour, not for some abstract principle of government.

Have you ever been to Ystradgynlais? It really does feel like the end of the world sometimes. It's hard to think how it could be more remote from Westminster or how Westminster's constant squabbling could be less relevant to it.

If the labour vote holds up - should be a more interesting night.
  • Options
    My
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

My sense is that the talent pool is deepening quite quickly with the huge influx of members, but the talent hasn’t been shifted to the right places yet.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    As first posts go, duckeggblue's field report for is about as much as any PBer could hope for. Prediction: LD gain, maj 1700 votes. Turnout 57%.

THIS IS NOT A TIP.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

As many as that !!!!

They are up against a discredited conservative candidate and with a split brexit vote

They have sent an army of volunteers into the constituency and managed to persuade Plaid of all parties, and the Greens to stand down to collect the remain vote. Add in labour tactical voting it would be expected.

However a GE is a very different proposition as it is highly unlikely the other parties will give a free pass and of course by then Boris will have had to negate BP or he will not gain a majority and will struggle to lead a minority government

And to all labour supporters just imagine you had Yvette Cooper or Starmer or Benn you would not only win this seat but probably a majority at a GE

Corbyn is your albatross
    Great spin there, Big G...:)
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Very difficult to see why Plaid Cymru would do this in a GE.

In the very next door constituency, Plaid Cymru & the LibDems will be fighting a ferocious battle against each other in Ceredigion.
  • Options
    Oops, messed up block quotes already!
  • Options
    Adrian Masters
    @adrianmasters84
    Some hints the turnout could be 40-50%
  • Options
    Powys council tell me turnout is expected to be announced between 0100 - 0130
  • Options

US President Donald Trump has announced fresh tariffs of 10% on another $300bn of Chinese products from 1 September.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49199559

I really don't like this timeline... :(
  • Options

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

As many as that !!!!

Corbyn is your albatross

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

As many as that !!!!

Corbyn is your albatross
    You think Cooper or Starmer or Benn would get a 15 % swing to come through from third and take this seat? That's a pretty high assessment of their capabilities.
  • Options
    Adrian Masters
    @adrianmasters84
    ·
    16m
    Another Conservative who's been phone canvassing feels the vote for Chris Davies is holding up. They think they may have picked up a few new voters who like Boris Johnson. But still think Lib Dems will narrowly win.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

As many as that !!!!

Corbyn is your albatross
    Great spin there, Big G...:)
    Why spin. Realistic observation surely
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    marke09 said:

Adrian Masters
    @adrianmasters84
    Some hints the turnout could be 40-50%

Lower than I was expecting.
  • Options

A seminal moment in the life of any PB poster.

Apart from Mr Dancer, who refuses to use them and just confuses the hell out of us all all the time instead of some of the time as a result.
  • Options
    Adrian Masters
    @adrianmasters84
    ·
    15m
    A Lib Dem victory by 2,500 votes they reckon.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Wasn't it about this time of evening that Peterborough was a nailed on win for the BXP?

I do hope the LDs don't fall short but I'm not going to count chickens before they hatch.

The odds on the two exchanges are now as low as ~1.02, i.e. bet £1,000 to win £20. No thanks. I couldn't find any betting value in B&R at any stage. The odds started off at about 1.2, even before it was clear that the LDs were doing quite well.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

It's a rite of passage - you're a proper PB poster now!

Edit: Although you probably need to commit the double-blockquote post as per Dixie below before you have really got your posting wings.
  • Options
    Adrian Masters
    @adrianmasters84
    ·
    19m
    Sources in parliament have heard there could be up to five Tory MPs ready to defect if the Lib Dems win tonight.
  • Options
    Adrian Masters
    @adrianmasters84
    ·
    21m
    A prediction from a Labour source: Lib Dems win, Cons 2nd, Brexit 3rd, Labour 4th. But keeping their deposit.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

But Labour HQ says that the Tory enablers are worse than the Tories themselves?

Not in my hearing - citation needed. Clearly the LibDems are not reliable since they are as ever open to siding with either of the others. But they're certainly better than the Tories.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Adrian Masters
    @adrianmasters84
    ·
    19m
    Sources in parliament have heard there could be up to five Tory MPs ready to defect if the Lib Dems win tonight.

Interesting. But would it still happen if the LDs win relatively narrowly?
  • Options
    The Liberal Democrats are hopeful but don't believe they're in landslide territory. They report a sense that Boris Johnson taking over as Prime Minister has had an impact.
    Adrian Masters
    @adrianmasters84
    ·
    33m
    The Lib Dems say they've been getting a positive response from 'old supporters and new allies' but one Lib Dem tells me 'the percentages at the end of this could well resemble the referendum tally, hopefully in our favour.'
    Adrian Masters
    @adrianmasters84
    ·
    31m
    Labour sources are expecting a bad night. They may be happy if they hold onto their deposit. I understand that all the way through the campaign they've seen their vote 'draining away' to the Lib Dems.
    Adrian Masters
    @adrianmasters84
    ·
    30m
    Conservative after Conservative tell me it'll be close. Possibly even recount territory. 'Our vote is strong,' said one 'and going out to vote for Chris [Davies]'
  • Options
    Adrian Masters
    @adrianmasters84
    ·
    26m
    One Conservative: 'the whole thing will depend on Labour switchers. If the Brexit party take them we're in with a shout. If Libs have them then they've won by a mile.'
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    marke09 said:

Adrian Masters
    @adrianmasters84
    ·
    21m
    A prediction from a Labour source: Lib Dems win, Cons 2nd, Brexit 3rd, Labour 4th. But keeping their deposit.

Not losing their deposit will be considered a good night for Labour? :D
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Adrian Masters
    @adrianmasters84
    ·
    15m
    A Lib Dem victory by 2,500 votes they reckon.

2,500 votes on a 40% turnout would hardly be a narrow win. In fact, it would be a thumping win.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

ydoethur said:

Having totally crap candidates doesn't seem to have held back the Tories or Labour much over the past 50 years or more.
    Quite obviously so!

Most LD candidates come from local government, not glamorous but probably better preparation than being a kiss-arse SPAD.
  • Options

What's your view on pineapples on pizza?

1) The worst thing that humanity has ever done?

or

2) The sign of a society going to hell in a handcart?
  • Options
    If the result is now expected 1ish, wouldn’t that imply a lower turnout than usual?

And thanks for the welcomes and kind comments.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I have not been paying attention... have the Tories put out some dampener messages?
    Hard to say perhaps, although selecting a crook and doing a (deliberately?) poor job of countering the LD's' optimism about the outcome may bave been a subtle dampener on their part.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

As many as that !!!!

Corbyn is your albatross

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

As many as that !!!!

Corbyn is your albatross
    You think Cooper or Starmer or Benn would get a 15 % swing to come through from third and take this seat? That's a pretty high assessment of their capabilities.
    Or a realistic assessment of how poor the PM is. Just as he does well because he is up against Corbyn, a sensible Labour leader would do well against Johnson.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

What's your view on pineapples on pizza?

1) The worst thing that humanity has ever done?

or

2) The sign of a society going to hell in a handcart?
    Think carefully before you answer now!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

I know all about mining areas. I grew up in one after all. Beating the Tories is as important, if not more so, than voting Labour.
    Anyways, not long to go now till all will be revealed. We shall see...
  • Options

The odds on the two exchanges are now as low as ~1.02, i.e. bet £1,000 to win £20. No thanks. I couldn't find any betting value in B&R at any stage. The odds started off at about 1.2, even before it was clear that the LDs were doing quite well.
    I think you mean "bet £100 to win £2" Mr High Roller!
This discussion has been closed.