Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Is Corbyn at risk from the mother of all political decapitatio

1235»

Comments

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Jesus Christ.

More gammon than a butcher’s brining pot.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,070

OllyT said:

I have resigned from the Labour Party

Good for you. I left soon after Corbyn became leader and I have been arguing about it with a friend who has been a member for 40 years ever since. He claimed you had to stay and fight - had a text from him about a week ago saying he had resigned and joined the Lib Dems!! Sometimes you have to admit the game is over.
    I was fighting. Celebrated getting a local loon booted. But realised that every single day I was fighting with myself to look past my hatred of the party and what it was forcing me to be. Until last night, when I suddenly realised my "let's fight and win" hand was a pair of 4s.

So I folded. Placed my cards on the table and stepped away. I don't regret at least trying to fight. But I also don't regret quitting. It's liberating.
    I quit Labour in the early noughties. It was 10 years before I joined the LibDems, but as someone without intention of running for office it is possible to object to party policy. I am not keen on the cannabis policy for example, nor assisted dying but neither are dealbreakers.

There are good people in the Labour Party, but hard to seeing them regain control.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Byronic said:

rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

As some

Whether you return to Labour or find a new more fulfilling political home, time will tell. Meanwhile enjoy the chance to do some free thinking.
    +1
    Sound advice! You can still be interested in politics but not actually be a member. Not having to turn a blind eye to stupid ideas, policies or party problems gives an independent minded person moral superiority! :smiley:
    It's very nice to be able to say Johnson, Corbyn and Farage are all thick, useless and incompetent.
    Neither Johnson nor Farage are thick. Farage is arguably a political genius, and the most influential politician of our time. Though obviously hated by many.
    I think Farage is (or was) the right man, in the right place, rather than a political (or actual) genius.

No. Farage is much more than that.

Look at the way he quit UKIP, at just the right time, then set up the Brexit Party from scratch, and guided them to victory in the European elex, about six weeks later? And now the BXP are scarily salient in the GE polls (if you're a Tory).

This takes great political intelligence, on several levels. Farage is the smartest operator out there (now that Salmond is out).

It is the Brexit supporting media that gifted Farage the European elections in order to put pressure on the Tories to get rid of then PM May and replace her with a Brexiteer. It is interesting that having built up the Brexit party as they did, the Brexit supporting media may have torpedoed the Tories now led by Brexiteer Boris! :lol: The panicked Daily Express yesterday in the wake of B & R by-election was trying to drop a not too suttle hint that BP supporters should now support the Tories! The Brexit supporting media have been too clever by half imo....
    Just what is it which encourages tax-exile owned papers like the Mail and the Telegraph to support Brexit????
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712

Just what is it which encourages tax-exile owned papers like the Mail and the Telegraph to support Brexit????

Their readership
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013
    edited August 2019
    Some of those Brexit Party candidates are special people who deserve to be on posters for remain
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Jesus Christ.

The nice lady top row second left is Alexandra Phillips MEP. Really quite attractive. She is rumoured to have had a liaison with Farage.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,760
    Bloody hell.

These umpires are more useless than Jeremy Corbyn.

Jesus Christ.

I notice the seats are mostly Leave supporting areas. A mix of seats, HYUFD will be dissapointed as the sort of seats he claims Boris will win off Labour now have TBP candidates, which will obviously split the Brexiteer vote! Dont think Boris will be getting an overall majority with this development!
  • ydoethur said:

Bloody hell.

Behave, even Broad didn't see it/appeal for it, and he appeals for everything.
  • surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

When is he going to announce the first party member?
    You mean another shareholder ?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Byronic said:

Jesus Christ.

The nice lady top row second left is Alexandra Phillips MEP. Really quite attractive. She is rumoured to have had a liaison with Farage.
    That's pretty libellous.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Ooohh... One down.

I wish Air New Zealand had Sky Sports streamed

ydoethur said:

Bloody hell.

Behave, even Broad didn't see it/appeal for it, and he appeals for everything.
    That's presumably why it wasn't given.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage has described Donald Trump's "go back" comments, aimed at four Democrat congresswomen, as "genius"."

https://news.sky.com/story/nigel-farage-says-donald-trumps-go-back-comment-was-genius-11776339
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    ydoethur said:

Bloody hell.

I thought you said the other day you did not have sky ?
  • UUUGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEE wicket.
    rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

Jesus Christ.

That's pretty libellous.
    Calling a woman attractive isn't libellous.
    Byronic said:

Jesus Christ.

I know it is a rumour but "nice" and Farage in the same paragraph don't go together.
    edited August 2019
    Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

Bloody hell.

Actually, it was this morning.

I was going by he fact that this is a record for overturned decisions in a Test in England, and not all of the errors have been overturned.

Although I'm intrigued to see you implicitly agree that Corbyn is useless.
    rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

Jesus Christ.

That's pretty libellous.
    The rumour has been widely reported, so I think you're OK

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4215848/Farage-s-wife-s-fury-Nigel-s-aide-spent-late-night.html

But feel free to delete! Tis but a comment.
    lol. Every Test should be played at Edgbaston. Brilliant atmosphere.
    HYUFD said:

Their readership
    I once met a woman on a plane who bought the DT but did not agree with their Brexit propoganda! I never mentioned I was anti-brexit by the way. Some people agree with it, some people are led by it and then some people ignore it! The Brexit upporting media tipped the balance in 2016 imo. It is their baby and they are partly reponsible for the political mess they keep pouring petrol on through their stupid insistance of Brexit at any cost...
    Byronic said:

The ECB would say it's nun of your business.
    Foxy said:

OllyT said:

Good for you. I left soon after Corbyn became leader and I have been arguing about it with a friend who has been a member for 40 years ever since. He claimed you had to stay and fight - had a text from him about a week ago saying he had resigned and joined the Lib Dems!! Sometimes you have to admit the game is over.
    I was fighting. Celebrated getting a local loon booted. But realised that every single day I was fighting with myself to look past my hatred of the party and what it was forcing me to be. Until last night, when I suddenly realised my "let's fight and win" hand was a pair of 4s.

So I folded. Placed my cards on the table and stepped away. I don't regret at least trying to fight. But I also don't regret quitting. It's liberating.
    I quit Labour in the early noughties. It was 10 years before I joined the LibDems, but as someone without intention of running for office it is possible to object to party policy. I am not keen on the cannabis policy for example, nor assisted dying but neither are dealbreakers.

There are good people in the Labour Party, but hard to seeing them regain control.
    Of course, things will change. I remember people saying the same in the 80s and after '87 it was the end of the Labour Party. We should have won in '92 but people could still remember '79. The only reason '97 was such a landslide win was because it was 2 "wins", one on top of another.

It goes around in circles. However, Iraq was a watershed. You can forgive a lot of things but not that. I would have wanted to keep Miliband but he could not take the insults.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,070
    Byronic said:

Jesus Christ.

Yes, this is the one:

https://twitter.com/ianboogiebrown/status/1157244832361984000?s=19
    edited August 2019

Jesus Christ.

I notice the seats are mostly Leave supporting areas. A mix of seats, HYUFD will be dissapointed as the sort of seats he claims Boris will win off Labour now have TBP candidates, which will obviously split the Brexiteer vote! Dont think Boris will be getting an overall majority with this development!
    Not really, on current polls including the Tories and Brexit Party like Yougov and Mori many of those marginal seats would still fall to the Tories even with a Brexit Party candidate.

I notice too the Brexit Party have already picked candidates for seats like Hartlepool, Doncaster Central, Torfaen, Sunderland Central, Houghton and Sunderland South and Burnley the Tories could never win but the Brexit Party could (helped by Tory tactical voting perhaps)
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

This is not a hostile question - I am genuinely interested in the answer.

Binary choice - Con govt under Johnson or Lab govt under Corbyn - with a working majority, I mean, none of this hung parliament stuff, and assuming the election is next week

Which - gun to head - would you choose?
    IanB2 said:

Yorkcity said:

Byronic said:

I'm not sure whether to applaud you or feel sorry for you.

All I know it must have been a difficult decision.
    You should applaud his honour and bravery in making that difficult decision.

If every other Labour member had Rochdale's principles, they would do the same: then Corbyn and his horrible cabal would be toppled and replaced - and this country would once again have a decent, fighting Opposition, which we so desperately need.

Well done, Mr Pioneers.
    Hardly difficult.
    If that is the major trauma in your life.
    You are lucky.
    I am guessing you’re someone who has never played an active role in frontline politics.
    You guess wrong as usual.
    HYUFD said:

Jesus Christ.

Not really, on current polls including the Tories and Brexit Party like Yougov and Mori many of those marginal seats would still fall to the Tories even with a Brexit Party candidate.

I notice too the Brexit Party have already picked candidates for seats like Hartleppol, Doncaster North and Barnsley the Tories could never win but the Brexit Party could (helped by Tory tactical voting perhaps)
    Why not ComRes ? You are still picking and choosing.
    Byronic said:

The football crowd there has to go somewhere. OK Villa has just crawled back up.

HYUFD said:

Jesus Christ.

I notice too the Brexit Party have already picked candidates for seats like Hartleppol, Doncaster North and Barnsley the Tories could never win but the Brexit Party could (helped by Tory tactical voting perhaps)
    Comres had Labour 8% ahead of the LDs in the European Parliament elections and the LDs ended up 6% ahead of Labour
    HYUFD said:

Jesus Christ.

I notice too the Brexit Party have already picked candidates for seats like Hartlepool, Doncaster Central, Torfaen, Sunderland Central, Houghton and Sunderland South and Burnley the Tories could never win but the Brexit Party could (helped by Tory tactical voting perhaps)
    Sure you can argue TBP might win in some places the Tories never will. But I was thinking of the Stoke-on-trent seats for instance, one of which is Tory with a small majority and the others from your views as possible Tory gains. Amber valley is another seat currently Tory but now has a BP candidate. I think this screws the Tories, it does not help them...
    England have about as much chance of getting past Bancroft in this mood as our esteeemed Prime Minister has of constructing a coherent sentence.
    ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

Bloody hell.

Actually, it was this morning.

I was going by he fact that this is a record for overturned decisions in a Test in England, and not all of the errors have been overturned.

Although I'm intrigued to see you implicitly agree that Corbyn is useless.
    Always have done as a leader.
    Voted for Andy Burnham in 2015 & Owen Smith in 2016.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    Jeez, there ain't half some sanctimonious bullshit being generated. As for 'all would have been forgiven', what rubbish.

Get Involved
    #bbccricket
    Daniel S:
    David Warner has had two chances to show he meant what he said about restoring the damage he'd done to his country's reputation. If he'd walked on either occasion, all would have been forgiven and the stewards could stop confiscating sandpaper. But he didn't.
    ydoethur said:

England have about as much chance of getting past Bancroft in this mood as our esteeemed Prime Minister has of constructing a coherent sentence.

Damn. It so nearly worked...

Jeez, there ain't half some sanctimonious bullshit being generated. As for 'all would have been forgiven', what rubbish.

Get Involved
    #bbccricket
    Daniel S:
    David Warner has had two chances to show he meant what he said about restoring the damage he'd done to his country's reputation. If he'd walked on either occasion, all would have been forgiven and the stewards could stop confiscating sandpaper. But he didn't.

He will never be allowed to forget that one.

It will haunt him even into the commentary box - in fact, it makes it unlikely he will be allowed to join it.
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

Jesus Christ.

Sure you can argue TBP might win in some places the Tories never will. But I was thinking of the Stoke-on-trent seats for instance, one of which is Tory with a small majority and the others from your views as possible Tory gains. Amber valley is another seat currently Tory but now has a BP candidate. I think this screws the Tories, it does not help them...
    The Tories need a 2.82% swing from Labour to take Stoke on Trent North ( last week's Yougov had a 4% swing from Labour to the Tories since 2017 even with the Brexit Party on 13%).
    If the Brexit Party were around 20% still as they were pre Boris becoming leader that would screw the Tories but if they are on 10 to 15% as they are now the Tories could still win a majority as they did in 2015 even with UKIP on 12%
    http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/conservative

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/07/31/voting-intention-con-32-lab-22-lib-dem-19-brex-13-
  • Jeez, there ain't half some sanctimonious bullshit being generated. As for 'all would have been forgiven', what rubbish.

Get Involved
    #bbccricket
    Daniel S:

Not only is David Warner a cheat, he's a thug, lest we forget his assault on poor young Joe Root.

His reputation is lower than snake testicles, he needs work harder on improving it.
    I thank you...
  • ydoethur said:

MAGNIFICENT, you are the anti DavidL.
    ydoethur said:

What was that?
    edited August 2019
    The drawback is, Smith now comes out. And we really haven't been able to find a way past his bat for about five years...
    edited August 2019
    O/T

"SQE: regulator ponders pure multiple choice to help minority candidates

The first stage of the solicitors’ ‘super-exam’ could be entirely multiple choice after a piloting exercise found that the written section could place members of ethnic minorities at a disadvantage, the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) has revealed."

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/sqe-regulator-ponders-pure-multiple-choice-to-help-minority-candidates-/5071190.article
  • I have Day 5 tickets....I don't think I will be using them.
    edited August 2019

Get Involved
    #bbccricket
    Daniel S:

Not only is David Warner a cheat, he's a thug, lest we forget his assault on poor young Joe Root.

His reputation is lower than snake testicles, he needs work harder on improving it.
    Didn't he also try to duff up a Saffer before Tim Paine dragged him off?

Edit - confirmed, it was Quinton de Kock:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/mar/05/david-warner-caught-by-cctv-in-off-field-row-during-first-test-in-south-africa

I have Day 5 tickets....I don't think I will be using them.

No, you really will. Khawaja and Smith to put on 350 and Aussies to bowl us out in the last hour.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus Christ.

Comres had Labour 8% ahead of the LDs in the European Parliament elections and the LDs ended up 6% ahead of Labour
    You are still picking and choosing to support your propaganda.
    edited August 2019
    62% of the wealthiest Britons with a household income over £100 000 a year expect a recession and only 12% have confidence in the economy, though 33% still have confidence in their personal finances.

57% of the wealthy are concerned about climate change but only 19% about immigration

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/economy/articles-reports/2019/08/02/majority-britains-wealthy-expect-recession
    I can see Trump is very popular at Edgbaston.
  • ydoethur said:

Get Involved
    #bbccricket
    Daniel S:

Wasn't Paine, but some other Aussie cheats.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/mar/05/david-warner-caught-by-cctv-in-off-field-row-during-first-test-in-south-africa
    ydoethur said:

No, you really will. Khawaja and Smith to put on 350 and Aussies to bowl us out in the last hour.
    Also: the weather. Showers are forecast tomorrow and Monday.

So it could easily drag into Day 5...please God it doesn't become a washout and a draw.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650236
    edited August 2019

ydoethur said:

Get Involved
    #bbccricket
    Daniel S:

Wasn't Paine, but some other Aussie cheats.

I was thinking it was brave of Paine, who is hardly Mr Muscle, to take on Warner, but it seems he was the one trying to restore calm.
    HYUFD said:

62% of the wealthiest Britons with a household income over £100 000 a year expect a recession and only 12% have confidence in the economy, though 33% still have confidence in their personal finances

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/economy/articles-reports/2019/08/02/majority-britains-wealthy-expect-recession

38% don't ? So there are stupid people earning more than 100k. I expected that but not 38%.
    Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Also: the weather. Showers are forecast tomorrow and Monday.

So it could easily drag into Day 5...please God it doesn't become a washout and a draw.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650236
    It's raining here right now, but we're downwind of Edgbaston. So I don't think it will be a problem right now.
    Actually, that unhappy weather forecast might offer VALUE

If the BBC weather-site is right we will lose afternoon and evening sessions tomorrow, and the morning session on Monday.

That's probably not enough time to conclude the game.

A draw is 22/1 right now.

https://www.oddschecker.com/cricket
    Byronic said:

If the BBC weather-site is right we will lose afternoon and evening sessions tomorrow, and the morning session on Monday.

Plus one big Aussie partnership. vALUE.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

Get Involved
    #bbccricket
    Daniel S:

In fact he did walk in the 1st innings - LBW - and he wasn't out.

Odd. Was he virtue signalling?
  • Cricviz give Ozzies only 16% chance...ridiculous.
    Foxy said:

Byronic said:

Jesus Christ.

Yes, this is the one:

Tice and Oakeshott, Farage and Phillips, Boris and Carrie.

I thought Brexiters were supposed to prefer holidaying in Britain rather than excursions abroad.
    These two, who are after all Australia's best batsmen, looking worryingly comfortable.
  • AndyJS said:

O/T

"SQE: regulator ponders pure multiple choice to help minority candidates

The first stage of the solicitors’ ‘super-exam’ could be entirely multiple choice after a piloting exercise found that the written section could place members of ethnic minorities at a disadvantage, the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) has revealed."

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/sqe-regulator-ponders-pure-multiple-choice-to-help-minority-candidates-/5071190.article

This is a genuine question rather than a dig but isn't a precise understanding and ability to use the English language rather fundamental to the practice of law?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

Jesus Christ.

Yes, this is the one:

I thought Brexiters were supposed to prefer holidaying in Britain rather than excursions abroad.
    As long as they can get their full English and meat and 2 veg..
    Pretty sure I moved the market. Odds against a draw collapsing.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2019
    New Fread....
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,773

HYUFD said:

62% of the wealthiest Britons with a household income over £100 000 a year expect a recession and only 12% have confidence in the economy, though 33% still have confidence in their personal finances

38% don't ? So there are stupid people earning more than 100k. I expected that but not 38%.
    Sooner or later, there's always a recession. We've had a decade of growth.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited August 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus Christ.

The Tories need a 2.82% swing from Labour to take Stoke on Trent North ( last week's Yougov had a 4% swing from Labour to the Tories since 2017 even with the Brexit Party on 13%).
    If the Brexit Party were around 20% still as they were pre Boris becoming leader that would screw the Tories but if they are on 10 to 15% as they are now the Tories could still win a majority as they did in 2015 even with UKIP on 12%
    http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/conservative

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/07/31/voting-intention-con-32-lab-22-lib-dem-19-brex-13-
    Last week's Yougov showed a 3.75% swing to the Tories from Labour. The most recent Comres poll shows a 1.7% swing to Labour from the Tories.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Byronic said:

MET has completely different one then. 50% chance of rain around 9am - 11am - then fine all day.

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

Jesus Christ.

Yes, this is the one:

Drain the swamp.
    NEW THREAD ON CRICKET
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401

Not raining here yet.

Which means I don't have an excuse for not mowing the lawn.

Laters...

Two solid hours - and that wasn't even the whole lawn! I'm knackered.

I was thinking about going on Monday.
This discussion has been closed.