Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local parties and sitting candidates – the big impediment to M

12346»

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,592
    Another Russian connection for Trump; he seems to be an admirer of lysenkoism:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/05/ziska-usda-climate-agriculture-trump-1445271
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited August 2019

I would like those in PB who know more about parliamentary procedures and the law.
    If I remember correctly, when the EU extended the 29th March date to 12th April or 22nd May, there was some discussion certainly amongst Brexitors [ I remember Bill Cash asking a question in the HoC as he always does ], that the actual Act of Parliament which said 29th March was not amended. I remember there was a post in PB saying that was not necessary because the EU changing the date always superseded Parlaiment. Is that correct ? In fact, was the 29th March date ever changed ?

Now I come to the Cummings conundrum. If Johnson and the Tories dissolve Parliament after a VoNC or anyway but calls an election after 31st October; according to them Brexit would have taken place already.

The reason I put forward the first para is this: what if the EU seeing the political impasse in the UK, unilaterally extend the 31st October deadline to, say, 31st December or any other date ?

Easy answer - they can't because it requires unanimity among all member states and until the UK leaves it is still a member state. So unless it agrees to it, the EU cannot extend.

And in practice, if we didn't ask for an extension the EU would not extend on its own even if it could.

They might elect to act as if the transition period were in force - although I think it unlikely.
  • Options

I would like those in PB who know more about parliamentary procedures and the law.
    If I remember correctly, when the EU extended the 29th March date to 12th April or 22nd May, there was some discussion certainly amongst Brexitors [ I remember Bill Cash asking a question in the HoC as he always does ], that the actual Act of Parliament which said 29th March was not amended. I remember there was a post in PB saying that was not necessary because the EU changing the date always superseded Parlaiment. Is that correct ? In fact, was the 29th March date ever changed ?

Now I come to the Cummings conundrum. If Johnson and the Tories dissolve Parliament after a VoNC or anyway but calls an election after 31st October; according to them Brexit would have taken place already.

The reason I put forward the first para is this: what if the EU seeing the political impasse in the UK, unilaterally extend the 31st October deadline to, say, 31st December or any other date ?

Two issues. Firstly yes UK law was changed via regulation. That can't happen if Parliament is dissolved.

Secondly the UK must agree to any extension. The EU can't change it unilaterally.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Another bumbling mess from Johnson, he never changes
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    loking at that map it seems like the Borders may well be keen to become part of England rather than head for the Scexit :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:
    kill ever closer Union and we'll consider it
    Cammo won us exemption, remember?
    of course and the LDs said no increase in Uni fees
    Why are we not in the Euro?
    because we;d totally fuck it.

Bundesbank didnt want us in IIRC
    Mind you, the Bundesbank had strong reservations about Germany going in. At one point they threatened to derail the whole process by refusing to allow Germany to inflate the value of its gold reserves as part of its asset base.
    the BB were more realistic about mixing a social market economy with anglo saxon capitalism than John Major ever was.
    Are you the same person who voted for Brexit so that the government would intervene more in the economy to provide more stimulating jobs?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304

Scott_P said:
    As a unionist you'll come to appreciate ever closer union once it's the thing that binds England and (a united) Ireland.
    so now youre claiminn RoI will rejoin the UK

can we afford it ?
    Did you write this?

"Clearly Ireland now wishes to be brought under the moral tutelage of more modern, more secular, more capitalistic powers. London is a more logical and convenient choice for that role than Brussels."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/europeans-have-started-to-change-their-minds-on-brexit/
    It felt strange reading that piece - as if I'd intruded into some parallel universe in which Brexit is going so smoothly and Boris's only fault is that a few silly foreigners just don't appreciate how magnificent he is.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

So the Ashes are lost, the Union is finished, Brexit’s a disaster, the new government is bad as the old, and the £ is worth 5 cents.

It is all quite depressing, isn’t it? Or maybe it is just me.

We won the World Cup and only the first test
    Yes, we won the world cup because the umpires did not know the rules, then beat almighty Ireland and, unless Archer turns out to be something special, looking at a 5-0 drubbing. This is not even the Aussies' strongest bowling line-up.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    That was Camerons deal as I recall...
    When the history books come to be written...
    ... David Cameron will hope he's not in them
    I hope he is. As you have thoughtfully demonstrated, people have a lopsided memory of what he achieved and what he didn't achieve. His deal will be one of those if only moments according to historians (I believe) and probably set down as a great missed opportunity.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

Scott_P said:
    As a unionist you'll come to appreciate ever closer union once it's the thing that binds England and (a united) Ireland.
    so now youre claiminn RoI will rejoin the UK

can we afford it ?
    Did you write this?

"Clearly Ireland now wishes to be brought under the moral tutelage of more modern, more secular, more capitalistic powers. London is a more logical and convenient choice for that role than Brussels."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/europeans-have-started-to-change-their-minds-on-brexit/
    It felt strange reading that piece - as if I'd intruded into some parallel universe in which Brexit is going so smoothly and Boris's only fault is that a few silly foreigners just don't appreciate how magnificent he is.
    I got the sneaky feeling the author, and the Spectator, is trying to convince itself as much as anything else.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Easy answer - they can't because it requires unanimity among all member states and until the UK leaves it is still a member state. So unless it agrees to it, the EU cannot extend.

And in practice, if we didn't ask for an extension the EU would not extend on its own even if it could.

They might elect to act as if the transition period were in force - although I think it unlikely.
    The UK did not ask for 31st October. It asked for June 30. Mrs May was not even in the room when the 31st October date was agreed.

When was the 29th March date changed ? Before or after 29th March. Please mention the date.
  • Options

Two issues. Firstly yes UK law was changed via regulation. That can't happen if Parliament is dissolved.

Secondly the UK must agree to any extension. The EU can't change it unilaterally.
    I believe you are correct on the second point but wrong on the first.

Yes both sides have to agree to an extension under Article 50.

But no, Parliament being dissolved does not prevent the date being changed by regulation. Government in its basic form continues to function even when Parliament has been dissolved. The PM is still PM until he is replaced and the basic operation of Government continues. Hence Alistair Darling was able to go to Brussels and negotiate on behalf of the UK during the Greece crisis even though the election had been held and discussions were underway on forming a new Government. It was very much to his credit that he chose to consult with Osborne on what the UK position should be and what it should commit to. There was no legal requirement for him to do that.

So my understanding is that the Government could, if it chose, seek an extension even though Parliament has been dissolved as Parliament has no direct role in that decision.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    edited August 2019
    I just hope Corbyn is gone by Indyref2 (if it happens). I think we all saw the effects of his 'campaigning' in the Eu Referendum.
    If the Union does come to an end, it'll be in part down to the selfish decision of Labour members to vote for someone who made them feel warm and fuzzy on the inside, as opposed to an actual plausible leader who actually cares about the survival of the UK.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    OK folks, serious advice sought.
    How should one plan for the practicalities of a no-deal Brexit?

Have plenty of cash, but how much?
    Stock up on prescription medicines (for my wife, I am not on any)
    Stock up on toiletries, loo roll, batteries, light bulbs, printer ink, etc
    Stock up on tinned and dried foods,
    Planting winter vegetables
    Get bicycle serviced (in case petrol runs unavailable)

What else should we all be doing before its too late
  • Options

But no, Parliament being dissolved does not prevent the date being changed by regulation. Government in its basic form continues to function even when Parliament has been dissolved. The PM is still PM until he is replaced and the basic operation of Government continues. Hence Alistair Darling was able to go to Brussels and negotiate on behalf of the UK during the Greece crisis even though the election had been held and discussions were underway on forming a new Government. It was very much to his credit that he chose to consult with Osborne on what the UK position should be and what it should commit to. There was no legal requirement for him to do that.

So my understanding is that the Government could, if it chose, seek an extension even though Parliament has been dissolved as Parliament has no direct role in that decision.
    Which would require a GONU, after Johnson gets no confidenced.
    Absent that, I think the idea that it is too late to prevent No Deal is probably correct.
  • Options
    franklyn said:

Serious answer. None of that.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984
    edited August 2019
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Including Don't Knows Ashcroft poll has Yes only on 46%, the Scottish borders and rural Scotland still heavily No.

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1158319227092254720?s=20

In Quebec's 2nd referendum on independence from Canada in 1995 Yes led most final polls but No won 51% to 49% as Don't Knows went No

Which is of no relevance at all.

I doubt Ashcroft’s subsamples are very reliable, but it is interesting that the former Labour Central belt now appears keener on Indy than the old SNP stronghold of the rural North East.
    Glasgow remember voted for independence even in 2014, Edinburgh and Aberdeen still back the Union and oppose independence even on this poll.

Former rural traditional SNP seats like Moray now have a Tory MP
    'Traditional SNP seats?????'

Reminds me of the line in "Arms & the Man".(Our position is almost historical : we can go back for nearly twenty years.)
  • Options

I just hope Corbyn is gone by Indyref2 (if it happens). I think we all saw the effects of his 'campaigning' in the Eu Referendum.
    If the Union does come to an end, it'll be in part down to the selfish decision of Labour members to vote for someone who made them feel warm and fuzzy on the inside, as opposed to an actual plausible leader who actually cares about the survival of the UK.

Corbyn is responsible for the rise in Scottish independence now? That's a new one. Nowt to do with the Tories or Brexit, no siree. The Scots yearn to be free from the yoke of the, err, leader of the opposition.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

So the Ashes are lost, the Union is finished, Brexit’s a disaster, the new government is bad as the old, and the £ is worth 5 cents.

Yes, we won the world cup because the umpires did not know the rules, then beat almighty Ireland and, unless Archer turns out to be something special, looking at a 5-0 drubbing. This is not even the Aussies' strongest bowling line-up.
    I doubt it'll be 5-0. Even Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist and co. never managed that in England. And we were also a bowler short in this match. Having to bowl second fiddlers to the Sandman in the first innings wasn't ideal.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Mind you, the Bundesbank had strong reservations about Germany going in. At one point they threatened to derail the whole process by refusing to allow Germany to inflate the value of its gold reserves as part of its asset base.
    the BB were more realistic about mixing a social market economy with anglo saxon capitalism than John Major ever was.
    Are you the same person who voted for Brexit so that the government would intervene more in the economy to provide more stimulating jobs?
    absolutely. I like a put our voters first policy much like Mrs Merkel.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Which would require a GONU, after Johnson gets no confidenced.
    Absent that, I think the idea that it is too late to prevent No Deal is probably correct.
    I think that is a separate matter. The only way in which my scenario comes about is if Boris gets cold feet after an election is called. A GONU only happens if Parliament can agree one. I was looking more at a situation where Boris is still PM after Parliament is dissolved and then changes his mind about No Deal.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

ydoethur said:

The UK did not ask for 31st October. It asked for June 30. Mrs May was not even in the room when the 31st October date was agreed.

When was the 29th March date changed ? Before or after 29th March. Please mention the date.
    It may not have asked for that date originally, but that doesn't mean it didn't agree to it eventually.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    I hope he is. As you have thoughtfully demonstrated, people have a lopsided memory of what he achieved and what he didn't achieve. His deal will be one of those if only moments according to historians (I believe) and probably set down as a great missed opportunity.
    it will certainly keep the historians going. However I suspect like all brexit matters the trenches have been dug and opnion will split along Leave\Remain lines.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

absolutely. I like a put our voters first policy much like Mrs Merkel.
    A social market economy?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Scott_P said:
    MPs need to vote FOR something if they want to effect change - for example, a different government. Simply saying "we don't like it" is not sufficient.
    Correct. I suspect it'll come down to "No Deal or (temporarily) Corbyn" - other solutions simply don't work.
    I think this is right. What happens will be determined by whether the moderate wings of the two main parties, plus the Lib Dems and independents (and possibly the SNP?) can agree that Corbyn is preferable to No Deal. If they can't agree, then we probably get No Deal anyway.

A lot of MPs are going to have a very unpalatable choice to make at some point. Penny for Luciana Berger's thoughts, in particular.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Scott_P said:
    MPs need to vote FOR something if they want to effect change - for example, a different government. Simply saying "we don't like it" is not sufficient.
    Correct. I suspect it'll come down to "No Deal or (temporarily) Corbyn" - other solutions simply don't work.
    A British government which proceeded with a No Deal Brexit in the face of a Parliamentary vote against it or a successful VoNC against such a government is playing with fire, IMO.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

I doubt it'll be 5-0. Even Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist and co. never managed that in England. And we were also a bowler short in this match. Having to bowl second fiddlers to the Sandman in the first innings wasn't ideal.
    If, by some chance, we could get Smith cheaply, twice, their batting has actually been not much better than average.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Or ours, with Anderson being incapacitated, and Woakes at least half incapacitated.

Though now we have allowed Smith to play himself into his best form, our prospects look as dismal as Brexit.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

If, by some chance, we could get Smith cheaply, twice, their batting has actually been not much better than average.
    It looked a lot better in their second innings.
  • Options

franklyn said:

Serious answer. None of that.
    Whilst I agree with the general point, prescriptions might be wise.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    edited August 2019
    dixiedean said:

Corbyn is responsible for the rise in Scottish independence now? That's a new one. Nowt to do with the Tories or Brexit, no siree. The Scots yearn to be free from the yoke of the, err, leader of the opposition.
    We are where we are because Leave won in 2016, which was in large part down to Labour's pitiful attempt to campaign for Remain. I also doubt that desire for independence would be strong as it is if Labour had actually had a decent pro-EU leader in charge, who didn't have -50 approval rating.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    A British government which proceeded with a No Deal Brexit in the face of a Parliamentary vote against it or a successful VoNC against such a government is playing with fire, IMO.
    They are already playing with fire, and, as we’ve seen amply demonstrated by their enthusiasts here, think it will illuminate the way to an election victory.
  • Options
    https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/brexit/the-eu/eu-exit-day-is-changed-in-uk-law/

If Parliament captures a day after a VoNC with Bercow's help, what stops Parlaiment changing the 31st October date with EU cooperation ?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    They are already playing with fire, and, as we’ve seen amply demonstrated by their enthusiasts here, think it will illuminate the way to an election victory.
    Might well; whether it will lead to another a few years later is another, and different, question. Quite possible a QTWTAIN
  • Options
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2019
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    From the point of view only of the future of the Conservative Party, there is only one thing worse than the UK crashing out with no deal, and that is the UK crashing out with no deal as a result of a cynical wheeze to deny parliament a say in preventing it. The first would probably destroy the party for a generation, the second would certainly destroy it for ever.
  • Options

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/brexit/the-eu/eu-exit-day-is-changed-in-uk-law/

If Parliament captures a day after a VoNC with Bercow's help, what stops Parlaiment changing the 31st October date with EU cooperation ?

It's the executive that has to agree to it. The EU doesn't negotiate with Parliament.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280

The Uk must agree, but it doesn’t have to go through parliament after the amendment the previous government got carried.
  • Options
    Every worker is [ or was 20 years ago ] a protestant. Where is the DUPs power ?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    David Cameron will take the advance to write those history books.

And then never quite get round to delivering them.....
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

It did. But IF we'd got Smith for 42 and 44, say, rather than 142 and 144, we'd need 113 to win with 5 wickets now. Game on!
    So, I reckon Smith has been the difference. No reason to reckon 5-0. They really aren't that superior.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    From the point of view only of the future of the Conservative Party, there is only one thing worse than the UK crashing out with no deal, and that is the UK crashing out with no deal as a result of a cynical wheeze to deny parliament a say in preventing it. The first would probably destroy the party for a generation, the second would certainly destroy it for ever.
    I agree; I doubt HYUFD, for example, does.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    RobD said:

It's the executive that has to agree to it. The EU doesn't negotiate with Parliament.

The EU will deal with whoever is authorised under the (unwritten) UK constitution. If parliament passes an Act authorising Larry the Cat to seek an extension, the EU will deal with Larry the Cat.

(Well, maybe not Larry the Cat, as he'd want to remain independent, but it could be something like the Brexit Select Committee).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Leaving us all hoping no-one goes and throws a match on it?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    I could not care less about the Tory party. I do care about my country and having its form of governance ruined or destroyed by the fuckwits who’ve taken over the party of which you used to be a member.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Tbf it’s not quite the apocalypse it seems at first glance. At one time Harland and Wolff employed 30,000 people in Belfast. Now it is... 130. About the same as one big supermarket.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,350

dixiedean said:

We are where we are because Leave won in 2016, which was in large part down to Labour's pitiful attempt to campaign for Remain. I also doubt that desire for independence wouldn't be strong as it is if Labour had actually had a decent pro-EU leader in charge, who didn't have -50 approval rating.
    Indeed, well he also has to bear responsibility for Labour's decline in Scotland as his supporters installed a stale, grey, loyalist as SLab leader in the ridiculous belief that Corbyn's innate socialist appeal would lead to a surge in Labour support in the People's Republic of Scotland. Failing, of course, to realise that puritan Islingtonian vanity in a red rosette is about as popular in Scotland as Etonian arrogance - and the big problem SLab always had wasn't being too right-wing but being seen as a branch office of London, something that's arguably worse than ever, as Leonard can't even bring himself to denounce a crap Brexit strategy that's largely aimed at hanging on to seats in the north of England in the hope Tories implode in remain areas. Leonard's best strategy would be to pick fights with the national party, but no one is allowed to question the virtue of the Dear Leader.

An effective SLab leader making a passionate left-wing case against nationalism would be worth their weight in gold. Sadly, the slim chance of finding one is made even slimmer when you have to pick a loyalist no mark who is incapable of saying anything interesting as it might puncture the leadership's self-righteousness.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I agree; I doubt HYUFD, for example, does.

I'm quite sure he doesn't, and he'll pop up any moment with a poll showing that he's right.
  • Options

you're so last millenium

Sinn Fein leader Mary Lou McDonald met workers from the shipyard which was once a bastion of working-class unionism.

Irish language activists were also at Stormont Estate and sang: "Save Our Yard" in Irish in a striking symbol of solidarity.

It was a sign of fraternity in Northern Ireland's at times deeply divided society.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/emergency-council-meeting-called-in-desperate-bid-to-secure-future-of-troubled-hw-shipyard-38364329.html

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

It did. But IF we'd got Smith for 42 and 44, say, rather than 142 and 144, we'd need 113 to win with 5 wickets now. Game on!
    So, I reckon Smith has been the difference.
    Of course - but it’s not just Smith who has played himself into form.
    Their middle order will come to the second test with a confidence which did not look possible after their first innings. And Lyon will be very, very happy.
  • Options

Be fair. To survive for 107 years after you build a ship which is not fit for purpose, sinks and kills most of its passengers is pretty good going. Most brands would be glad of such staying power after such a “Ratner” moment.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    I could not care less about the Tory party. I do care about my country and having its form of governance ruined or destroyed by the fuckwits who’ve taken over the party of which you used to be a member.
    Indeed, but my point was that even in the narrowest sense of what they think is good for the party, they are spectacularly wrong.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

The EU withdrawal act was changed a while back so that exit day can be altered by a Minister - it didn't need any further legislation (fortunately).

• Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

So, I reckon Smith has been the difference. No reason to reckon 5-0. They really aren't that superior.
    Agreed. Take Smith away and the sides are well matched. It would be a cracking series. But he is what he is, and unless we magically find a bowler that can crack him, he will get a century in every Test and Australia will cruise to a comprehensive but rather boring victory.
  • Options

Indeed governance continues and on an international level agreement could be made. But my understanding for the purpose of the date in the EU Withdrawal Act is that the date is changed via the government laying a procedure in Parliament. If Parliament is dissolved can they still do that? And if the can't won't the 1972 European Communities Act be repealed?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,997
    franklyn said:

All that really matters is organising into larger groups. In Kosovo even the best prepared singles and couples got robbed, raped and murdered in short order.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Indeed, but my point was that even in the narrowest sense of what they think is good for the party, they are spectacularly wrong.
    I know that; you know that; most sensible people know that. But they’re so drunk on their Kool-Aid that they seem oblivious of the damage they are doing.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

The EU withdrawal act was changed a while back so that exit day can be altered by a Minister - it didn't need any further legislation (fortunately).

Just as well the Cabinet isn’t full of hard-line Brexiteers then.

Oh... :D
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,776

Mr. Observer, doesn't the law make holding a referendum a Westminster rather than Holyrood power, though? So the SNP can ask for one, but it's up to the UK Parliament to agree or not?

Of course - but there is no reason to refuse one if the Scottish government requests it. That does not apply in most other countries, where national unity is written into the constitution or there is a prescribed way to secure independence.
    There is a reason, which is that the last one took place in the widely-accepted context that it was a once-in-a-generation vote.

There is no reason, except for a primitive mistaking of majoritarianism for democracy (albeit all the rage with Brexit), to grant another referendum just because a majority of Scottish MAs want one, or because polling suggests a narrow majority might favour it this week.

Yep, I get that, though there is an equally strong argument for saying that No won on the false prospectus of Scotland having a powerful voice inside the Union. Brexit has blown that out of the water. The Scots now know unequivocally that when push comes to shove they have to do as the English want.

That is such bollocks. We still have Scottish MPs voting on English laws, we don't have English MPs voting on Scottish laws.
    How many English MPs voted through the 2016 Scotland Act, and how many amendments by Scottish MPs were knocked back?
    And in how many votes in Parliament in the last 20 years that affected England only have the votes of Scottish MPs made a difference?
    This from 2015 partially answers your question:

By one analysis referred to in this blog post by UCL’s Robert Hazell, only 21 of 5,000 “divisions” in the House of Commons since 1997 would have produced different verdicts if Scottish MPs had been excluded. His colleague Alan Trench adds that only two bills in the New Labour era were passed due to Scottish (Labour) votes. (These were on big issues, though — university tuition fees and on foundation hospitals.)
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    franklyn said:

Compile list of names. Bide time. Await the return of accountability and justice.

If it was anything to do with me, it would involve piano wire, but I'll settle for jail and humiliation for main offenders.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,776
    franklyn said:

Buy a hand-pump water filter?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,962
    Fenman said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Draw a border further south, and I'd happily self-identify as 'North British' or whatever it might be called. (Pieland?)

Not pies, surely? Deep fried Mars Bars.
    Tut Tut Ydoethur, I have never in my life seen a place that sells deep fried Mars Bars or spoken to anyone who has eaten one. Poor poor stereotype. Now a nice pie is a different matter altogether.
    I've had a deep fried Mars bar. Not especially recommended.

Bad enough on its own never mind frying it. Anyone suggesting it should be shot.
    Perhaps pineapple would help
    :D
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Including Don't Knows Ashcroft poll has Yes only on 46%, the Scottish borders and rural Scotland still heavily No.

In Quebec's 2nd referendum on independence from Canada in 1995 Yes led most final polls but No won 51% to 49% as Don't Knows went No

I doubt Ashcroft’s subsamples are very reliable, but it is interesting that the former Labour Central belt now appears keener on Indy than the old SNP stronghold of the rural North East.
    Glasgow remember voted for independence even in 2014, Edinburgh and Aberdeen still back the Union and oppose independence even on this poll.

Former rural traditional SNP seats like Moray now have a Tory MP
    Clock is ticking though
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    Mango said:

franklyn said:

Compile list of names. Bide time. Await the return of accountability and justice.

If it was anything to do with me, it would involve piano wire, but I'll settle for jail and humiliation for main offenders.
    That seems rather harsh treatment, just for blocking Brexit.....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

A VoNC in the UK govenment is obviously a UK-wide matter so not relevant. I asked for examples where the votes of Scottish MPs had impacted a vote that was specific to England only. There must be lots given how upset it makes some people on here.

Sunday trading and Tuition Fees.

A majority of English MPs backed liberalising Sunday trading laws in England, SNP MPs blocked it. Despite Scotland having liberalised Sunday Trading.

Labour tripled English tuition fees when a majority of English MPs voted against it. Forced through by SLAB MPs despite Scottish students getting free tuition in Scotland.

Two examples and both where Scottish MPs overrode English MPs hypocritically.

How would you feel if English MPs voted that Scottish students studying in Scotland should suddenly not just pay fees but that English students studying in England shouldn't?
    So you did not read my reply.
    1. The SNP clearly stated that the bill to change Sunday trading laws affected Scotland and that if they did not fix that then they would have to vote to protect Scotish intersets, Westminster ignored them
    2. As I stated there is no Scottish Labour party, they have a regional office of the UK unionist Labour party there and they vote as told by their London masters.
    3. PS: they voted against free tuition in Scotland and are a bunch of useless barstewards.
    Here you go, Malc. SNP a bunch of lying, hypocritical, duplicitous fuckers.

https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33520547
    Erratum: lying, hypocritical, duplicitous, dishonourable fuckers.
    one sheep Topping
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Must admit, I hadn't really anticipated the highlands being less pro-independence than their cousins in the central belt.
    As per elsewhere the Highlands are mostly populated by retired rich English immigrants, so not surprising.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Stole the World Cup you mean
  • Options

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Draw a border further south, and I'd happily self-identify as 'North British' or whatever it might be called. (Pieland?)

Not pies, surely? Deep fried Mars Bars.
    Tut Tut Ydoethur, I have never in my life seen a place that sells deep fried Mars Bars or spoken to anyone who has eaten one. Poor poor stereotype. Now a nice pie is a different matter altogether.
    Never been to Stonehaven then? The chippy there claims to be the place it was invented. There are also at least two chippies in Aberdeen that sell them.

But yes it is a terrible stereotype based on a couple of strange examples.
    Richard , certainly not been up that way in a long time, but certainly an abomination for sure whoever thought it up.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

There's no geographic breakdown in the poll tables. That map is pure Uniform Swing.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

That map is just uniform swing based on the poll. It is really, really not a projection.
  • Options
    felix said:

loking at that map it seems like the Borders may well be keen to become part of England rather than head for the Scexit :)

Hi

What odds would you like on the Borders succeeding from Scotland within 10 years of independence?
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    dixiedean said:

Also it was the Milibland Labour Party who happily campaigned with the Tories for Better Together, arguably the thing that broke many Scottish Labour voters away from the party.
This discussion has been closed.