Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft poll has Swinson beating Johnson, Corbyn and Far

Comments

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,191

Is there a sport we can all agree is bollocks?

F1

But it doesn't count as it isn't a sport
    Not sport; just traffic.
  • This article is I think quite good on whether parliament can stop a no-deal Brexit without the cooperation of the current PM:

http://www.democraticaudit.com/2019/08/05/is-it-too-late-to-stop-a-no-deal-brexit/

Executive summary: 'Maybe.'

Thank you for mentioning it, but perhaps I should do my own exec summary:
    Technically - yes.
    Politically - maybe.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833

Of Olympic sports, probably a tossup between Dressage and Rhythmic Gymnastics.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Where are the SNat Quad (Mr Glenn being an honorary member)???

Working you lazy son of a B****
    I'm not lazy - I've just got sub-optimal marginal tax rates.
    That's brilliant.

I'm going to tell my tutor group to use that as an excuse for failing to hand in boring shit like economics homework.
    Whatever - I'll start looking when for work when our beloved NHS stops insisting on injecting me.
    Get well soon Briskin
    Lol - I don't think the docs are ever going to stop calling me schizo but I do prefer the pill format of medication
    Could be worse it could be suppositories >:)
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,275

This article is I think quite good on whether parliament can stop a no-deal Brexit without the cooperation of the current PM:

http://www.democraticaudit.com/2019/08/05/is-it-too-late-to-stop-a-no-deal-brexit/

Bloody hell. And people say the LBW law is complicated.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,925

Just on league, I'm not an especial follower but have heard a Canadian team (from Toronto, I think) might join the Super League. With them and the Catalan Dragons, it amuses me that such a surreal geographical mix could all play together.

Yep. Toronto Wolfpack are going to finish top of the Championship for the second year running. Need to win their playoffs to go up. Toulouse are also in the mix for promotion.
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

This article is I think quite good on whether parliament can stop a no-deal Brexit without the cooperation of the current PM:

Yes that is a good piece although your executive summary is a lot less clear-cut than the article which in fact states that there do, indeed, appear to be mechanisms in place.

My executive summary: 'Probably'
    Markets have been pretty terrible today, thought Friday was bad enough, time Trump put out a few tweets.
    Byronic said:

Sandpit said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Jimmy Anderson 120*
    Chris Woakes 172*

Can England still even win??? They've taken their target off the screen which was surely a very bad omen
    In theory, yes.

Just as in theory David Warner might be named Greatest Foreign Sportsman by the BBC.
    Thanks - it's complicated switching between ODI and test. I know what all the numbers on the screen mean but I don't think I'll ever understand the finer details
    I've been watching cricket, on and off, for thirty-five years. And I still don't *quite* understand LBW.
    You can go by the graphics nowadays but there is a complicated rule about the inside/outside the redbox part I think
    Yes. That's the rule I never quite grasp. And I have had it explained to me, several times, by total leather-on-willowheads. Trouble is, they have all explained it slightly differently.
    It's like the offside rule in football maybe - have you ever tried to explain it to someone of the female persuasion - they just don't seem to get it (or are very good, play naïve, bluffers)
    Offside in o be frank
    Yeah, I started watching in Ashes 05, and I figured that was one of the rules I was never going to get and concentrated on the other ones.

Perhaps we come across as proper Cricket dimwits to some affectionados
    You don't have to understand ALL the rules to enjoy a sport.

I'm a huge rugby fan but the offside rules are a total and complicated mess, and often not comprehended by professional players, and national coaches. See this notorious England v Italy game as proof.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2017/02/26/italy-flummox-england-almost-catch-eddie-jones-off-guard-story/
    So many of the rules of professional, it’s probably too late to do it now.
    They did start again. It's called Rugby League. A world away fro the kick & clap / 5 reset scrum nonsense played by the posh lads.
    Rugby League is a bit like communism (perhaps that's why they like it in the North?)

Great in theory, terrible in practice.

Just a lot of endless running about with no variation.
    You obviously don't watch much.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,081

Lacrosse?
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    edited August 2019
    IanB2 said:

The rules of cricket are simple:

Play continues daily until either:
    - one side gets bored with all the pointless running up and down;
    - it starts to rain;

Whereupon the game is a draw.

I went for a jog /walk in the countryside yesterday. I reckon I was out about 3 1/2 hours in total. I parked in the village hall car park, and there was a cricket match going on. When I returned, 14 or so miles under my belt, the cricket match was still ongoing. Not sure anyone was doing anything as vulgar as actually winning. I did wonder as I got back to the car, who had achieved more in their afternoon?
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

That's brilliant.

I'm going to tell my tutor group to use that as an excuse for failing to hand in boring shit like economics homework.
    Whatever - I'll start looking when for work when our beloved NHS stops insisting on injecting me.
    Get well soon Briskin
    Lol - I don't think the docs are ever going to stop calling me schizo but I do prefer the pill format of medication
    Are you arsing about again Malcolm?
  • tpfkar said:

IanB2 said:

- it starts to rain;

I went for a jog /walk in the countryside yesterday. I reckon I was out about 3 1/2 hours in total. I parked in the village hall car park, and there was a cricket match going on. When I returned, 14 or so miles under my belt, the cricket match was still ongoing. I did wonder as I got back to the car, who had achieved more in their afternoon?
    I'm pro-hedonist - so while I'm sure you got an adrenalin high the cricketers would have been having fun - so-

Score Draw?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,898

Mr. Indyref, get well soon.

Okay that's what Malky said - I don't think you ever stop being schizo, but the medication regime can certainly be reviewed.
    The reviewing process can get several reasonably well paid professionals in a discussion for several hours.
    tpfkar said:

IanB2 said:

- it starts to rain;

I went for a jog /walk in the countryside yesterday. I reckon I was out about 3 1/2 hours in total. I parked in the village hall car park, and there was a cricket match going on. When I returned, 14 or so miles under my belt, the cricket match was still ongoing. I did wonder as I got back to the car, who had achieved more in their afternoon?
    There was a game of cricket in Birmingham that just finished, they were playing for four and a half days!
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,960
    Mr. Indyref, ah. Well, I hope things get better even if a full cure isn't possible.

I think golf courses look great. Shame about the golf, so.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,213
    IanB2 said:

snip

With 4 weeks until Parliament returns the one clear lesson from this is that the opponents of No Deal must be ready and decisively in play with a caretaker successor in mind. No ifs. No buts. No dithering. If they snooze, they'll lose.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/parliament-and-elections/elections-elections/no-confidence-motions-and-early-general-elections/

The object of Cummings isn’t to solve the Rubix Cube, but to prod and goad their opponents such that, when the time arrives, they are ready and have a plan to force the election that Bozo is relying upon to try and escape from the world’s deepest hole.
    Yes it's interesting, if you really wanted to no-deal, and if you wanted to avoid opponents grasping the opportunity to stop no-deal by installing a temporary government, the easiest way would be to convince a few MPs that no-deal can be stopped by other means, or by allowing a few MPs to understand that Boris isnt really going to go through with it, and running down the clock. Logically, it would seem that Cummings is therefore trying to force the anti-no-dealers to get organised.

However, it could just be that he is an arrogant tosser, who really does want no-deal. Plenty of the extremists who have taken over the Conservative party seem to only want brexit if it is a disorderly no deal brexit, and I guess that's because the mess will be such a great opportunity to scrap all kinds of regulation that get in the way of making a fast buck (which is their true religion, they don't really give a monkey's about Brexit itself), and to make the kind of shitty trade deal with the US that in normal circumstances would be totally unacceptable.
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

That's brilliant.

Get well soon Briskin
    Starting from the bottom Ydoethur
    edited August 2019

Just on league, I'm not an especial follower but have heard a Canadian team (from Toronto, I think) might join the Super League. With them and the Catalan Dragons, it amuses me that such a surreal geographical mix could all play together.

The significant feature of Rugby League is that if a player is injured, and not interfering with play, play goes on until it reaches a natural break.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Thank you for mentioning it, but perhaps I should do my own exec summary:
    Technically - yes.
    Politically - maybe.
    Excellent - straight from the horse's mouth!

I think you've laid out the possibilities very well. These are very much uncharted constitutional and political waters, so one should be wary of anyone saying definitively that it can be done, or that it can't.
  • Mr. Indyref, get well soon.

Okay that's what Malky said - I don't think you ever stop being schizo, but the medication regime can certainly be reviewed.
    The reviewing process can get several reasonably well paid professionals in a discussion for several hours.
    Well last time it took about 5 seconds from me going "please reduce my dosage" to my consultant saying "okay" - so it's not always that way.
    Mr. Dean, cheers for that info.

I quite like the slightly surreal idea of a league that's mostly in the north of England but also has clubs in southern France and Canada.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,924
    ydoethur said:

Lacrosse?
    Netball?
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    kamski said:

IanB2 said:

snip

With 4 weeks until Parliament returns the one clear lesson from this is that the opponents of No Deal must be ready and decisively in play with a caretaker successor in mind. No ifs. No buts. No dithering. If they snooze, they'll lose.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/parliament-and-elections/elections-elections/no-confidence-motions-and-early-general-elections/

The object of Cummings isn’t to solve the Rubix Cube, but to prod and goad their opponents such that, when the time arrives, they are ready and have a plan to force the election that Bozo is relying upon to try and escape from the world’s deepest hole.

However, it could just be that he is an arrogant tosser, who really does want no-deal. Plenty of the extremists who have taken over the Conservative party seem to only want brexit if it is a disorderly no deal brexit, and I guess that's because the mess will be such a great opportunity to scrap all kinds of regulation that get in the way of making a fast buck .
    And I think that's the heart of it. He's basically an arrogant tosser who revels in s5it-stirring
    Sandpit said:

tpfkar said:

IanB2 said:

- it starts to rain;

There was a game of cricket in Birmingham that just finished, they were playing for four and a half days!
    There was a win for one side, too. Could have been a draw.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954

I've made the mistake of looking on Labour List. Every time I visit the site I read something else which makes me despair over the bollocks going on within the party. Fecking entryist loons.

Can't be as bad as what is going on in the Democrat Party. Did you see that clip from one of their conferences posted here yesterday? :o

Well last time it took about 5 seconds from me going "please reduce my dosage" to my consultant saying "okay" - so it's not always that way.
    Hmmm. Not quite certain 'bout that.
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

That's brilliant.

Get well soon Briskin
    I suppose that was hole-y appropriate.

Well I'm getting 50mg of [Confidential] in a weeks time as opposed to 75.

That's how things looked from my side.
    kamski said:

IanB2 said:

snip

Yes it's interesting, if you really wanted to no-deal, and if you wanted to avoid opponents grasping the opportunity to stop no-deal by installing a temporary government, the easiest way would be to convince a few MPs that no-deal can be stopped by other means, or by allowing a few MPs to understand that Boris isnt really going to go through with it, and running down the clock. Logically, it would seem that Cummings is therefore trying to force the anti-no-dealers to get organised.

However, it could just be that he is an arrogant tosser, who really does want no-deal. Plenty of the extremists who have taken over the Conservative party seem to only want brexit if it is a disorderly no deal brexit, and I guess that's because the mess will be such a great opportunity to scrap all kinds of regulation that get in the way of making a fast buck (which is their true religion, they don't really give a monkey's about Brexit itself), and to make the kind of shitty trade deal with the US that in normal circumstances would be totally unacceptable.
    As I said yesterday, we also need to remember that his expertise isn’t in parliamentary procedure, or managing the civil service, but in campaign messaging. His writing now is in large part to prepare the ground for the betrayal theme on which Bozo intends to fight the election.
    edited August 2019

My relation has the illness and I sometimes think the medicine is almost as bad as the symptoms though obviously not. Have to say it was scary when he was not on medication.

Treatment does seem to be patchy at times.
  • NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    English player ratings - a personal view.

Burns – batted well in first innings. Hopefully will do a job as the grafter any side needs but Aussies will target a possible vulnerability to the sharply rising short ball. 7.

Roy – got the talent but of no use unless he adapts his mind set to Test Cricket.4.

Root – world class batsmen, useful part-time off spinner. ordinary skipper.6.

Denly- probably picked too late in career and a couple of years after he peaked. A good athlete and handy part time leggie but probably not now quite good enough to hold down number 4 slot.4.

Buttler – slightly concerning dip in form that was apparent even at the World Cup. Seems out of sorts.3.

Stokes – world class all rounder but can’t do
    it on his own.7.

Bairstow – alarming slump in form with the bat which seems to be affecting his glovework. Vulnerable to being replaced by Foakes.2.

Moeen Ali – seems to suffer from a disastrous lack of confidence when taking on the Aussies. Has to be replaced by Leach or another spinner.2.

Woakes – if fit an automatic for Lords. Could bat higher.7.

Broad – Bowled and batted well in the first half of the match but eventually suffered on an unresponsive pitch and without Jimmy at the other end.7.

Anderson- an underappreciated great of the game but may have played his last game of this series because of injury.3.
    IanB2 said:

kamski said:

IanB2 said:

snip

As I said yesterday, we also need to remember that his expertise isn’t in parliamentary procedure, or managing the civil service, but in campaign messaging. His writing now is in large part to prepare the ground for the betrayal theme on which Bozo intends to fight the election.
    good point. and the most likely explanation. but will it be fought on a promise of an immediate no-deal exit (assuming a longish extension is in place by then)?
    Mr. D, didn't see it here, but was it the one about the chap asking for everyone to stop murmuring?

There's a drive to pathologise every little quirk and eccentricity which I don't think is helpful.
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    dixiedean said:

Byronic said:

Sandpit said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Jimmy Anderson 120*
    Chris Woakes 172*

Can England still even win??? They've taken their target off the screen which was surely a very bad omen
    In theory, yes.

Just as in theory David Warner might be named Greatest Foreign Sportsman by the BBC.
    Thanks -t think I'll ever understand the finer details
    I've been watching cricket, on and off, for thirty-five years. And I still don't *quite* understand LBW.
    You can go by the graphics nowadays but there is a complicated rule about the inside/outside the redbox part I think
    Yes. That's the rule I never quite grasp. And I have had it explained to me, several times, by total leather-on-willowheads. Trouble is, they have all explained it slightly differently.
    It's like the oe persuasion - they just don't seem to get it (or are very good, play naïve, bluffers)
    Offside in o be frank
    Yeah, I started watching in Ashes 05, and I figured that was one of the rules I was never going to get and concentrated on the other ones.

You dond-story/
    They did start again. It's called Rugby League. A world away fro the kick & clap / 5 reset scrum nonsense played by the posh lads.
    Rugby League is a bit like communism (perhaps that's why they like it in the North?)

I can still remember the name "Eddie Waring" with a shudder

Incidentally, idly googling rugby league in Canada, I came across something called "Canadian Football", which can get 5m TV viewers in Canada.

How amazing. An entirely new form of professional football, with significant support, that I had never heard of. Am I just dim or is this a surprise to others?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_football
    edited August 2019

I quite like the slightly surreal idea of a league that's mostly in the north of England but also has clubs in southern France and Canada.

You'll enjoy this then. New York and Ottawa have been accepted into League 1 for 2021!
    Playing Workington, Keighley, Doncaster, Rochdale Hornets, etc.
    edited August 2019
    kamski said:

IanB2 said:

kamski said:

IanB2 said:

snip

good point. and the most likely explanation. but will it be fought on a promise of an immediate no-deal exit (assuming a longish extension is in place by then)?
    My guess is that a long extension would suit Bozo best, and the election message would be the same “deal or no deal” theme that he just fought the leadership on. It worked for him that time despite almost everyone seeing that there isn’t enough time for a deal; given a longish extension next time there might just be.
  • TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

With the exception of bumps racing, rowing is (usually) quite dull to watch. The better the crew, the easier they make it look.

Amazing to do, however.

IanB2 said:

kamski said:

IanB2 said:

kamski said:

IanB2 said:

snip

My guess is that a long extension would suit Bozo next and the election message will be the same “deal or no deal” theme that he just fought the leadership on. It worked for him that time despite almost everyone seeing that there isn’t enough time for a deal; given a longish extension next time there might just be.
    yes but then he maybe gets outflanked by the Brexit Party "enough is enough, we're leaving now" and the leave-ish vote is split again
  • Mr. D, didn't see it here, but was it the one about the chap asking for everyone to stop murmuring?

There's a drive to pathologise every little quirk and eccentricity which I don't think is helpful.

Agree 100pc with this Morris. I've never heard voices in my life so I think the quacks are just playing the game (get people not suitable for work onto benefits).
  • TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

Tabman said:

IanB2 said:

Watching Rugby is frustrating since the moment it gets interesting the game has to stop and the players shuffle about getting into some formation or other.

Rugby League is worst for that. Union at least has the potential for continuous open play.
    That's like saying tennis has the potential for serve & volley.

It is in League that players offload as they are tackled to keep play moving; in Union they jut go to ground - then we get 10 'phases' of a prop falling over back into the ruck before someone knocks on, we get a scrum (which has to be reset 6 times and takes 5 minutes), and then the fly half hefts the ball into the stands prompting applause from the rest of the backs (who never get a touch). Then a lineout - with the ridiculous spectacle of players being suspended in mid air (try jumping properly) - followed by the other fly half hefting the ball back into the stand, more clapping, and off we go again...
    I think it's fair to say that both League and Union have dull games and great ones.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Jimmy Anderson 120*
    Chris Woakes 172*

In theory, yes.

Thanks - it's complicated switching between ODI and test. I know what all the numbers on the screen mean but I don't think I'll ever understand the finer details
    It's like the offside rule in football maybe - have you ever tried to explain it to someone of the female persuasion - they just don't seem to get it (or are very good, play naïve, bluffers)
    Offside in o be frank

You don't have to understand ALL the rules to enjoy a sport.

I'm a huge rugby fan but the offside rules are a total and complicated mess, and often not comprehended by professional players, and national coaches. See this notorious England v Italy game as proof.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2017/02/26/italy-flummox-england-almost-catch-eddie-jones-off-guard-story/
    Offside is easily understood, by far the easiest of Rugby's myriad laws. The England players were particularly thick that game given that exactly the same tactic had been used by Aus vs Ireland that autumn and England claimed they were ready to counter it pre Eng-Aus.

The tactic was also used a few weeks before the Italy match in the Toulouse Wasps match in which a number of the England players played.

Just dumb shit England players, not complicated laws.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,561
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Lacrosse?
    Netball?
    Lacrosse and netball are both sports that involve young women in gym skirts.

No further comment needed...
  • Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Scott_P said:
    Hopefully it could be someone like Starmer or Cooper. Whether or not they are temporary in the office, the extra stature of having been a Prime Minister would give them much greater authority and credibility. They could then use that standing to force out Corbyn and the vile leftists running the Labour Party.

Best of. Hope it works OK.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143
    Sandpit said:

Of Olympic sports, probably a tossup between Dressage and Rhythmic Gymnastics.
    Oi! You can take your cricket, football, rugby and stick’em where the sun don’t shine. But on no account do you mess with Horse Dancing, which is something to behold every 4 years.

In our new Green Future with no cars, being able to handle a horse will come in very useful. And all that lovely horse manure to be turned into compost ..... mmm!

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Lacrosse?
    Netball?

Are you SeanT in disguise?!
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

That's brilliant.

Get well soon Briskin
    A crack in your thinking there

Thanks OKC - I'm looking forward to not sleeping 12+ hours a day
    Mr. Dean, ha, that's marvellously silly.

We should get a team from Mongolia in as well.

Fun fact: Mongolia is one of very few countries who whom we've never ever been at war. Probably.
    kamski said:

IanB2 said:

kamski said:

IanB2 said:

kamski said:

IanB2 said:

snip

With 4 weeks until Parliament returns the one clear lesson from this is that the opponents

My guess is that a long extension would suit Bozo next and the election message will be the same “deal or no deal” theme that he just fought the leadership on. It worked for him that time despite almost everyone seeing that there isn’t enough time for a deal; given a longish extension next time there might just be.
    yes but then he maybe gets outflanked by the Brexit Party "enough is enough, we're leaving now" and the leave-ish vote is split again
    One can only hope. Bozo gets to fulfil his life’s ambition of having his mugshot attached to the wall by the Downing Street staircase, and we get to stop Brexit. Result.
    dixiedean said:

You'll enjoy this then. New York and Ottawa have been accepted into League 1 for 2021!

Rochdale will be a dream destination from New York.

dixiedean said:

If it's mid February, I'd rather be in Rochdale than Ottawa.

Does it mean you put on weight as well , as you are pretty lethargic etc
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888
    Norm said:

English player ratings - a personal view.

Burns – batted well in first innings. Hopefully will do a job as the grafter any side needs but Aussies will target a possible vulnerability to the sharply rising short ball. 7.

Roy – got the talent but of no use unless he adapts his mind set to Test Cricket.4.

Root – world class batsmen, useful part-time off spinner. ordinary skipper.6.

Denly- probably picked too late in career and a couple of years after he peaked. A good athlete and handy part time leggie but probably not now quite good enough to hold down number 4 slot.4.

Buttler – slightly concerning dip in form that was apparent even at the World Cup. Seems out of sorts.3.

Stokes – world class all rounder but can’t do
    it on his own.7.

Bairstow – alarming slump in form with the bat which seems to be affecting his glovework. Vulnerable to being replaced by Foakes.2.

Moeen Ali – seems to suffer from a disastrous lack of confidence when taking on the Aussies. Has to be replaced by Leach or another spinner.2.

Woakes – if fit an automatic for Lords. Could bat higher.7.

Broad – Bowled and batted well in the first half of the match but eventually suffered on an unresponsive pitch and without Jimmy at the other end.7.

Anderson- an underappreciated great of the game but may have played his last game of this series because of injury.3.

On Burns, a maiden century is a maiden century but he won't play and miss the outside edge 50 times every innings.
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

That's brilliant.

Get well soon Briskin
    To quote the great Tom Baker, that's very cheeky.
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

That's brilliant.

Get well soon Briskin
    He was intrigued by Uranus as well
    Byronic said:

dixiedean said:

If it's mid February, I'd rather be in Rochdale than Ottawa.
    TBH it's a while since I watched either Hornets or Rochdale FC, but I gather they ground share. It's not a bad part of the town to be in.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,561
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Lacrosse?
    Netball?

Are you SeanT in disguise?!
    No, that's the other guy!
  • malcolmg said:

A very common side-effect of anti-psychotics (putting on weight). I am overweight but it's under control.
    Byronic said:

dixiedean said:

Byronic said:

Sandpit said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Jimmy Anderson 120*
    Chris Woakes 172*

In theory, yes.

Thanks -t think I'll ever understand the finer details
    It's like the oe persuasion - they just don't seem to get it (or are very good, play naïve, bluffers)
    Offside in o be frank

You dond-story/

I can still remember the name "Eddie Waring" with a shudder

Incidentally, idly googling rugby league in Canada, I came across something called "Canadian Football", which can get 5m TV viewers in Canada.

How amazing. An entirely new form of professional football, with significant support, that I had never heard of. Am I just dim or is this a surprise to others?

It is similar to NFL. Have some very well supported sides. Unfortunately Toronto and Montreal have never really taken off as big clubs.

malcolmg said:

A very common side-effect of anti-psychotics (putting on weight). I am overweight but it's under control.
    Certainly affected my relative but he was real bad with it so ended up he had to get the depot jag and difficult to get right dose etc for a happy medium but at least now he can lead a reasonably normal life.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,128

I see Matt Hancock has repeated the Dominic Cummings line, but given it a fresh twist.

Cummings, we will recall, stated that in the event of a successful VONC, Johnson will simply call a General Election for after Oct 31st.

It was soon pointed out to him that this wasn't quite how the FTPA works

So, Hancock, about whom I have little good to say, has said that if Johnson loses a VONC he will simply stay on.

What they don't seem to get, or perhaps they do but they're increasingly desperate, is that if the House of Commons successfully votes no confidence in the Government they CAN then vote confidence in another Government:

"If this motion is carried, there is a 14 calendar-day period in which a Government may be confirmed in office by a resolution in the form:

“That this House has confidence in Her Majesty’s Government.”

Under Standing Orders, a debate on a motion arising from an Act is limited to 90 minutes. However, it is likely that a longer debate would be provided on a motion of no confidence.

The confusion only arises if the House of Commons is not ready to place confidence in a successor. If, on the other hand, they are on the ball, prepared, and have all their cards lined up the Queen will call for whomever clearly would have the confidence of the House.

:+1: Absolutely no room for wasting time on this. Hammond and co must be meeting this August with sound Labour people with a view to get the right parliamentary stuff ready for 4th September.
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

That's brilliant.

Get well soon Briskin
    That's sun response.

I never knew you were such an awesome punner as well as an authority on turnips Malc!
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Almost no psychiatric med reliably outperforms placebo. I used to take comfort in the fact that antidepressants appear to beat this rule in cases of severe depression until it was pointed out to me that the severely depressed are too far gone to cook up a placebo response, so this is a fail for placebo and not a win for ADs. The corollary to trust is that the rational response to any proposed alteration is yeah, sure, whatever, which fits quite easily into 5 seconds.

The better news is that you occasionally hit upon something which does work, irrespective of what the trials say.
    Scott_P said:
    The point everyone’s missing, is who exactly?

There’s fewer than 100 non-Con and non-Lab MPs, so anyone wanting to form a government against the wishes of Mr Johnson and Mr Corbyn has to find over 200 defectors from those parties.

A couple of dozen might well be possible, but there’s no chance of a couple of hundred MPs willing to commit what’s almost certainly going to be instant career suicide.

• I can still remember the name "Eddie Waring" with a shudder

I’ve tried to like it but so far as I can tell the CFL is vastly inferior to the NFL. The rules are worse, and the players are smaller. ( not that that is a bad thing, but not all athletes can be giants ). They show a lot of it on BT. A few people do get through to the NFL, though, like Warren Moon and Doug Flutie.

malcolmg said:

My knowledge is getting out of date, since I've just 'celebrated' ten years since I last practiced pharmacy, but the weight gain might be associated with increased appetite, although the ref. book I've still got access to confirms your comment. Some, of course, are worse than others.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,930
    Swinson certainly gives the LDs the best chance of the Unionist parties of making progress against the SNP in the next general election for Westminster (though her seat remains marginal) but on that poll Ruth Davidson is even more popular than Swinson in Scotland so remains the best hope for a Unionist First Minister
    Note too Boris is more popular than Corbyn and Farage in Scotland too even if he trails Swinson and Sturgeon
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

There’s fewer than 100 non-Con and non-Lab MPs, so anyone wanting to form a government against the wishes of Mr Johnson and Mr Corbyn has to find over 200 defectors from those parties.

A couple of dozen might well be possible, but there’s no chance of a couple of hundred MPs willing to commit what’s almost certainly going to be instant career suicide.
    Unless there comes a point where so many are signed up that it is no longer suicidal.
  • JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited August 2019
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Certainly affected my relative but he was real bad with it so ended up he had to get the depot jag and difficult to get right dose etc for a happy medium but at least now he can lead a reasonably normal life.
    Well I'm in the same boat as your relative so fist-bump to him.
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

That's brilliant.

Get well soon Briskin
    That's sun response.

I never knew you were such an awesome punner as well as an authority on turnips Malc!
    A man of many talents Ydoethur , bummer but I raise your sun by Mars
  • malcolmg said:

My knowledge is getting out of date, since I've just 'celebrated' ten years since I last practiced pharmacy, but the weight gain might be associated with increased appetite, although the ref. book I've still got access to confirms your comment. Some, of course, are worse than others.
    I didn't say it wasn't because of increased appetite. Ms Brisk wanted to say that the depot's are apparently better for this side-effect but I totally vetoed it and said I would never let such comment enter PB
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,976
    edited August 2019
    Looks ominous.

Edit: although it may not be what the tweet purports it to be.

https://twitter.com/pmcroninhudson/status/1158359282380955650?s=21
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,081

I see Matt Hancock has repeated the Dominic Cummings line, but given it a fresh twist.

Cummings, we will recall, stated that in the event of a successful VONC, Johnson will simply call a General Election for after Oct 31st.

It was soon pointed out to him that this wasn't quite how the FTPA works

So, Hancock, about whom I have little good to say, has said that if Johnson loses a VONC he will simply stay on.

What they don't seem to get, or perhaps they do but they're increasingly desperate, is that if the House of Commons successfully votes no confidence in the Government they CAN then vote confidence in another Government:

"If this motion is carried, there is a 14 calendar-day period in which a Government may be confirmed in office by a resolution in the form:

“That this House has confidence in Her Majesty’s Government.”

Under Standing Orders, a debate on a motion arising from an Act is limited to 90 minutes. However, it is likely that a longer debate would be provided on a motion of no confidence.

The confusion only arises if the House of Commons is not ready to place confidence in a successor. If, on the other hand, they are on the ball, prepared, and have all their cards lined up the Queen will call for whomever clearly would have the confidence of the House.

:+1: Absolutely no room for wasting time on this. Hammond and co must be meeting this August with sound Labour people with a view to get the right parliamentary stuff ready for 4th September.
    Presumably what Hancock meant was that even if a majority of the Commons indicated support for an alternative PM, and even if the Queen were advised to ask that person to form a government, Johnson would refuse to cooperate and instead would dare the Queen to dismiss him.
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

That's brilliant.

Get well soon Briskin
    That's sun response.

I thought that response was barred in light of earlier exchanges?
    HYUFD said:

Swinson certainly gives the LDs the best chance of the Unionist parties of making progress against the SNP in the next general election for Westminster (though her seat remains marginal) but on that poll Ruth Davidson is even more popular than Swinson in Scotland so remains the best hope for a Unionist First Minister

By best hope you mean absolutely NO hope, for either of the donkeys. Davidson will need to be sure she is also top of List so she gets a booby prize , even if somewhat embarrassing.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,563
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Quite.

Parliament has been Stakhanovite in telling us what it doesn't want, but spectacularly coy about what it does.

So I can easily imagine it squeaking a VONC, but very much doubt it will get within 50 votes of an alternative replacement.
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

That's brilliant.

Get well soon Briskin
    That's sun response.

I thought that response was barred in light of earlier exchanges?
    Not much light from a crescent moon but you can just see the crack
  • surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    edited August 2019

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Quite.

Parliament has been Stakhanovite in telling us what it doesn't want, but spectacularly coy about what it does.

So I can easily imagine it squeaking a VONC, but very much doubt it will get within 50 votes of an alternative replacement.
    If diehard Remainers want to avoid a No Deal Brexit or indeed have an opportunity to have a second referendum, they would accept a Corbyn led government temporarily. Remember: 1. Corbyn government itself will be a minority 2. It can be VoNCed easily.
    I think any "agreement" would include a second referendum with a Remain option which , I think, Corbyn will accept.
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Exactly.

Despite the fact that No Deal has no mandate, either from the referendum or from the last election, a determined minority of MPs and their advisors, elected by 92,000 people, can push it through and are apparently willing to do whatever it takes to do so, regardless of conventions, constitutional proprieties or anything else.

How on earth they think they can win an election in such circumstances or make their decision last, God only knows. And as for unifying the country ..... all this sort of behaviour will do is deepen the divisions.
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Unless there comes a point where so many are signed up that it is no longer suicidal.
    The last breakaway got up to 10 before they started arguing and splitting. How does a breakaway of over 200 work, in the face of a likely autumn election?
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

By best hope you mean absolutely NO hope, for either of the donkeys. Davidson will need to be sure she is also top of List so she gets a booby prize , even if somewhat embarrassing.
    The LDs would back Davidson for First Minister of Scotland even if they would not back Boris for UK PM
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Quite.

If diehard Remainers want to avoid a No Deal Brexit or indeed have an opportunity to have a second referendum, they would accept a Corbyn led government temporarily. Remember: 1. Corbyn government itself will be a minority 2. It can be VoNCed easily.
    I think any "agreement" would include a second referendum with a Remain option which , I think, Corbyn will accept.
    That is certainly a plausible scenario.

If a substantial number of Tory MPs have effectively formed a new grouping by voting down Johnson's government the Tories may suddenly decide that an immediate general election is not such a good idea after all.

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Quite.

That would require Labour, the SNP, PC, the LDs, CUK and at least 1 more Tory MP e.g. Grieve or Lee to back Corbyn, it would be a very unstable government while Boris could go into opposition with Leavers united behind him crying 'betrayal'

Looks ominous.

Edit: although it may not be what the tweet purports it to be.

https://twitter.com/pmcroninhudson/status/1158359282380955650?s=21

A moment of Googling shows that it's fake.

Nonetheless Hong Kong is in a very scary place. As the trade war intensifies twixt Xi and Trump, China will want to look hard and resolute. They won't allow a rebellious province to go it alone.

Grim.
  • Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Exactly.

Despite the fact that No Deal has no mandate, either from the referendum or from the last election, a determined minority of MPs and their advisors, elected by 92,000 people, can push it through and are apparently willing to do whatever it takes to do so, regardless of conventions, constitutional proprieties or anything else.

How on earth they think they can win an election in such circumstances or make their decision last, God only knows. And as for unifying the country ..... all this sort of behaviour will do is deepen the divisions.
    There is a No Deal mandate - the MPs have voted for it as the default option.

(PS - I know could have said this to Mike a few threads ago, but don't we have so much fun together Cyclefree??)
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Quite.

That would require Labour, the SNP, PC, the LDs, CUK and at least 1 more Tory MP e.g. Grieve or Lee to back Corbyn, it would be a very unstable government while Boris could go into opposition with Leavers united behind him crying 'betrayal'
    I'm sure it would be very unstable. But it would only have to last long enough to ask the EU for an extension.

Not difficult, provided the will is there among MPs. Which admittedly seems very questionable.
    edited August 2019
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

The LDs would back Davidson for First Minister of Scotland even if they would not back Boris for UK PM
    They may well. But with the separatists polling c40pc for over a decade the only thing that can change Scotland right now is a major Brit-pop revival.

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Quite.

Surely that’s because when it votes against something governments usually then don’t go ahead with what Parliament has said no to.

It’s the fact that this government is determined to ignore Parliament which is causing the problems.

Easy to criticise Parliament for not acting like the executive, which is not in any case its function. But what is far more worthy of criticism is a party in government which is determined to ignore Parliament. That’s not democracy but a government acting like a dictator.

If Johnson wants to have a No Deal Brexit then he should get an express mandate to do it from the voters not use Parliamentary or other constitutional shenanigans to get his own way.
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

They will never get more than 50% of the seats in a million years

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Exactly.

Since when does MPs voting for something define a mandate?

A mandate is when the people tell the MPs to do something.
    edited August 2019
    Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Exactly.

The people voted for the MPs - there's your mandate.
    Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Exactly.

Then they do what they want in any event
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,275
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Exactly.

I think Boris's strategy is falling into place before our eyes:

Win the Tory leadership on a macho 'Brexit do or die' ticket.

Pack your government with No Deal nutters to make it look as if you're one of them.

Force parliament to do something drastic like VONCing you and delaying the Brexit date.

With the chaos of No Deal not yet unleashed, fight the subsequent election as the man who stood up to the weaselly establishment politicians who thwarted the People's Will.

Win the election.

Sack the No Deal nutters.

Take it from there.
This discussion has been closed.