Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another set of opening PM Johnson leader ratings has him in de

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,945
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Unfortunately Venezuela is at the stage where there are no easy outcomes or pleasant solutions. But there are ways things could deteriorate further.

So like Brexit then

[NB: this is a joke. I haven't changed my views]
    More seriously, returning to @TOPPING's question about the price of Brexit, if it was a choice between Brexit and the union, would you choose Brexit? I know you previously said you didn't believe that was the choice.
    If the only thing keeping Scotland and Northern Ireland in the UK is membership of the European Union it is not much of a Union anyway, though in Scotland at least even the Ashcroft poll now still only has 46% backing independence once don't knows are included despite Brexit
    It's 48 to 52pc when don't knows are included.

The Union is in danger. Let's fight for it the best way we know how-

#Carling4Tennents4indyref2
    No it is 46% to 43% when don't knows are included, it is 52% to 48% excluding Don't Knows
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    Well, that was predictable.....

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1159129003233611777?s=20

Alternative version 'UK Train Operators rejected European imposition of rules' (I still think its a pity, but its a commercial decision by those involved)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

No sign of Farage wanting to be helpful to Johnson.

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1159027396386938881

Quite what is Farage up to?
    Johnson has walked into Farage's trap. His only real policy is to appropriate Brexit Party supporters to the Conservatives, by never being outflanked on the lunacy. Farage can now taunt Johnson with ever more extreme and idiotic statements and there's nothing Johnson can do about it. He can't now say, this is nonsense. He's committed.
    Boris does not need Farage to disappear just to take the Brexit Party down to 10% or so enabling a Tory majority as the Tories got in 2015 even with UKIP on 12%.

The Tories could not win with the Brexit Party on around 20%+ as they were polling under May but they can win if the Brexit Party are polling only around 10 to 15% as they are now
    To be sure that's why Johnson's policy is to make the Conservative Party into a not so pale shadow of the Brexit Party. Problem is, he's now at the mercy of Farage who is quite happy to destroy Johnson just as Johnson wants to destroy him.
    Plus the more the Tories move towards Nigel the more Tory voters from the centre will move towards the Lib Dems.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Unfortunately Venezuela is at the stage where there are no easy outcomes or pleasant solutions. But there are ways things could deteriorate further.

So like Brexit then

More seriously, returning to @TOPPING's question about the price of Brexit, if it was a choice between Brexit and the union, would you choose Brexit? I know you previously said you didn't believe that was the choice.
    If the only thing keeping Scotland and Northern Ireland in the UK is membership of the European Union it is not much of a Union anyway, though in Scotland at least even the Ashcroft poll now still only has 46% backing independence once don't knows are included despite Brexit
    "If you don't want to live on a Patagonian sheep farm with me, it's not much of a marriage anyway."
    The UK is not a Patagonian sheep farm, not that there is much wrong with Patagonian sheep farms
  • Options
    Do you need your irony meters calibrating, if so this tweet will help you do so.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1159145253917601792
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

So like Brexit then

No it is 46% to 43% when don't knows are included, it is 52% to 48% excluding Don't Knows
    Well it's crap news for us yoons anyway - it's alright for you English folk - but our only fun up here is Irn-Bru; that's no way to run a country.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Bang in the middle of it right now.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Johnson has walked into Farage's trap. His only real policy is to appropriate Brexit Party supporters to the Conservatives, by never being outflanked on the lunacy. Farage can now taunt Johnson with ever more extreme and idiotic statements and there's nothing Johnson can do about it. He can't now say, this is nonsense. He's committed.
    Boris does not need Farage to disappear just to take the Brexit Party down to 10% or so enabling a Tory majority as the Tories got in 2015 even with UKIP on 12%.

The Tories could not win with the Brexit Party on around 20%+ as they were polling under May but they can win if the Brexit Party are polling only around 10 to 15% as they are now
    To be sure that's why Johnson's policy is to make the Conservative Party into a not so pale shadow of the Brexit Party. Problem is, he's now at the mercy of Farage who is quite happy to destroy Johnson just as Johnson wants to destroy him.
    Farage only destroys Boris if he repeats the 20%+ or so the Brexit Party got under May, at the moment with the Brexit Party down to about 10 to 15% it is Boris destroying Farage
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116

Do you need your irony meters calibrating, if so this tweet will help you do so.

The thing about Corbyn is, he just doesn't get English irony.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    "We must confront this racist bigotry wherever it rears its ugly head"
    Let's hope the electorate gets the message.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,633

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

In business or daily life when you make a decision to discover later it's not going to work, you pause and either cancel it or delay until you get the issues resolved. That's a sensible way of doing things.

Only Remainiacs think it's not going to work and they've been saying that since 24th July 2016 - almost like they're just whining about not winning.
    If Brexit was going to be a success, we would have left by now, the Leave plan detailing the steps to success would be in execution, negotiations would be firming up and the so called Remainiacs would be keeping very quiet...

Please excuse me while I get over my (bitter) laughter...

Leavers will blame the EU, Remainers, anyone except themselves, for the consequences of their decision. But blame doesn't substitute for success.
    Brexit will be a success. The EU is making it very difficult to leave, because they don't want anyone else to leave.

We'll have some hiccups short term - but medium run we're quids in.
    Why should anyone slightly objective believe that, contrary to the evidence they can see?
    What evidence?

The reason people are harping on about bollocks like sterling when we both earn our income and spend our expenditure in sterling so it's moot is because there is no real evidence.

Employment is up, wages are up, inflation is low. A trifecta of good news but why let that stand in the way of a good moan?
    If GBP falls then the probability of inflation rises, then the amount of expenditure rises without any guarantee of a matching wage rise. Should wages then also rise to keep up then the profit earned by the employer will fall as wage bill rises and supply cost also rises. The reduction of profit results in a reduced amount of employment as the number of people that can be employed reduces.

This description matches the 1960s/70s, where a pulse in inflation produced by a quadrupling of petrol prices following[1] a Middle Eastern war resulted in higher wage claims, double-digit inflation, an increase of unemployment ("Labour Isn't Working" derives from this period) and concomitant strikes and social unrest. This phenomenon where growth stalls, inflation and unemployment rises simultaneously is known as "stagflation" and is difficult to eradicate, as James Callaghan and Margaret Thatcher later found out.

You are trying to decouple the exchange rate, inflation, unemployment and growth. This is not a good approach.

[1] yes I know, also the collapse of Bretton Woods, the retreat from Empire, and possibly the popularity of Angel Delight.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694
    HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Farage only destroys Boris if he repeats the 20%+ or so the Brexit Party got under May, at the moment with the Brexit Party down to about 10 to 15% it is Boris destroying Farage
    At the moment.

Farage won't help Johnson to make the moment last. He will attack Johnson on commitment and execution. Every time Johnson does something batshit, Farage will say something batshittier. It's a bidding war of crazy that only Farage can win.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    Rcs1000 re "But it still doesn't change the fact that UK debt-to-GDP has risen from 34.3% to 87.4%."

but 435bn of that debt is owned by the BOE (over 20% of GDP), and has effectively been written off, (given that the FED have just abandoned attempts to sell off its own QE bond holdings in the USA).

so that 87.4% number is quite misleading surely?

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

So like Brexit then

"If you don't want to live on a Patagonian sheep farm with me, it's not much of a marriage anyway."
    Why are you so prejudiced about the Welsh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y_Wladfa
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    ydoethur said:

1. Corbyn, for all his sincerely held beliefs, isn't that bright.
    2. Corbyn, sincerely believes in the rights of the oppressed which leads to
    3. Corbyn, being blind to the anti-semitism of some of the supporters of those oppressed.

I don't think he's a bad man, just not a very bright one, completely and disastrously unsuited for the role he currently occupies, surrounded by manipulative people I would not extend the same benefit of the doubt to. I'm sure if I ever met him and said 'Jeremy, meet my Jewish friend Simon' he would be genuinely pleased to meet him....as long as we steered clear of Israel/Palestine....)
  • Options
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

At the moment.

Farage won't help Johnson to make the moment last. He will attack Johnson on commitment and execution. Every time Johnson does something batshit, Farage will say something batshittier. It's a bidding war of crazy that only Farage can win.
    Might that not be akin to an emperor's new clothes striptease competition, though ?
    At some point, some of their voters might realise how unsightly the whole mess is.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,099

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Or to say, "to be honest, the best deal available really wasn't as good as we'd hoped. So let's revoke, remain, and tackle the myriad other issues facing Britain and the world."

This is an interesting point. People often say, reasonably enough, that if you can't get a good enough deal, you should walk away from it.

The thing is, though, that in normal cases - such as selling your car - if you walk away from the deal, you revert to the status quo. You don't get left with the burnt-out hulk of your car and no money. The status quo in this case is Remain, and the way to walk away from the deal if we don't like it is to revoke Article 50.
    In business or daily life when you make a decision to discover later it's not going to work, you pause and either cancel it or delay until you get the issues resolved. That's a sensible way of doing things.
    Only Remainiacs think it's not going to work and they've been saying that since 24th July 2016 - almost like they're just whining about not winning.
    If Brexit was going to be a success, we would have left by now, the Leave plan detailing the steps to success would be in execution, negotiations would be firming up and the so called Remainiacs would be keeping very quiet...

Leavers will blame the EU, Remainers, anyone except themselves, for the consequences of their decision. But blame doesn't substitute for success.
    Brexit will be a success. The EU is making it very difficult to leave, because they don't want anyone else to leave.

Why should anyone slightly objective believe that, contrary to the evidence they can see?
    What evidence?

The reason people are harping on about bollocks like sterling when we both earn our income and spend our expenditure in sterling so it's moot is because there is no real evidence.

Employment is up, wages are up, inflation is low. A trifecta of good news but why let that stand in the way of a good moan?
    What on earth is this drivel about earning our income in sterling and spending our expenditure in sterling?

Is the lunatic fringe now assuming we're going to stop trading with the rest of the world altogether on 31 October?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,028
    Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

At the moment.

Might that not be akin to an emperor's new clothes striptease competition, though ?
    At some point, some of their voters might realise how unsightly the whole mess is.
    Farage can always play the card of saying that the political class lied to us for 40 years about the EU and blame them for the impossibility of Brexit. You can already see in some of the comments on here how receptive Brexit supporters are to that message.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

At the moment.

Farage must be really pissed off then that so far Boris has done nothing "batshit".
  • Options
    Warren has a less incoherent plan for expanding broadband access than Boris, and she's not even a candidate yet...
    https://www.wired.com/story/elizabeth-warren-unveils-plan-expand-broadband-access/
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

At the moment.

"The Bad Boys Of Brexit" contains an anecdote about Farage, Banks (and Wiggy?) skinny-dipping naked in Bournemouth immediately after the Referendum result.

Pause.

You will never get that image out of your head now. It's like watching tobacco-stained walruses playing Penis Lightsabres.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

12/1 the government will officially announce food rationing this year

11/1 on Milk

125/1 on Prosecco

Man the barricades in Notting Hill if they ration Good Brie.
    Brie I can take or leave. If they ration Cheddar than every politician who voted against the WA needs to write their will.
    I wonder how the dairy rationing will work. The government could look really modern and techie if, instead of issuing paper coupons, it developed some kind of app.
    But which, based on recent form, would only work on Android. Well I suppose some PB Brexiteers would spin that as being for the common people and one in the eye for the Apple-using elites.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Yeah it's a little known fact in England that once Scotland becomes independent, Nicola Sturgeon will instantly explode into a billion twinkling motes of light and ascend to a higher plane
  • Options
    Chris said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Or to say, "to be honest, the best deal available really wasn't as good as we'd hoped. So let's revoke, remain, and tackle the myriad other issues facing Britain and the world."

This is an interesting point. People often say, reasonably enough, that if you can't get a good enough deal, you should walk away from it.

The thing is, though, that in normal cases - such as selling your car - if you walk away from the deal, you revert to the status quo. You don't get left with the burnt-out hulk of your car and no money. The status quo in this case is Remain, and the way to walk away from the deal if we don't like it is to revoke Article 50.

What evidence?

What on earth is this drivel about earning our income in sterling and spending our expenditure in sterling?

Is the lunatic fringe now assuming we're going to stop trading with the rest of the world altogether on 31 October?
    The rest of the world does not exist and anybody who suggests it does is an unpatriotic Remoaner
  • Options

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

At the moment.

Farage must be really pissed off then that so far Boris has done nothing "batshit".
    Relatively speaking, of course. Johnson hasn't been more batshit than Farage. Farage will keep it that way.
  • Options
    Well said that man. It amazes me how the SNP get such an easy ride in the British media.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,580
    edited August 2019
    Chris said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

What evidence?

You are wasting your time. I've been there and done that.

It appears that the gain I have made on swiss shares I hold quoted in swiss francs is not real nor the increase in the cost of my holiday to Iceland. These are figments of my imagination.
  • Options

Yeah it's a little known fact in England that once Scotland becomes independent, Nicola Sturgeon will instantly explode into a billion twinkling motes of light and ascend to a higher plane
    If I listed all the science-fiction movies in which that is actually the ending, I'd embarrass myself further than I already have.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Well said that man. It amazes me how the SNP get such an easy ride in the British media.
    Because most people in England just shrug their shoulders and think it is up to the people in Scotland.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Presumably if there is a no deal Brexit we can rely on a US emergency airdrop of Kraft cheese slices to reduce our dairy trade deficit.
    And next week a reminder that the Greens don't like fossil fuels
  • Options

Because most people in England just shrug their shoulders and think it is up to the people in Scotland.
    Bolton and others should know better - they're SF equivalents and should be treated as such.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,028

Bolton and others should know better - they're SF equivalents and should be treated as such.
    Who do you want to dub the voice of Nicola Sturgeon?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Fenman said:

Anorak said:

A fat fraction of the leaver community is happy to chuck both NI and Scotland in the bin to achieve their nirvana, why do you think a poxy rock on the coast of Spain will give them a moment's pause.
    Most of them would be prepared to sacrifice their great-grandchildren
    Fenman said:

Anorak said:

A fat fraction of the leaver community is happy to chuck both NI and Scotland in the bin to achieve their nirvana, why do you think a poxy rock on the coast of Spain will give them a moment's pause.
    Most of them would be prepared to sacrifice their great-grandchildren
    And their children and grand children I’ve watched children and grand children pleading with that generation to vote remain to be told ‘we know better than you cause we’re older so we’re voting leave.
  • Options

the little krankie woman
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

At the moment.

Johnson is Farage's prisoner. He can't say, I'll pass on this one, because Farage will tear him to pieces. For example, someone puts forward a suggestion that could be a way out on the backstop. Just discussing it takes him a few days past October 31. He will have to shut it down in the most public and emphatic way because of what Farage will do to him.
  • Options

Pardon?

SF are the political arm of a paramilitary organisation with a very long and bloody history of killing innocent people.

The SNP are a mainstream left of centre political movement which believes in an independent Scotland. They have absolutely no association with terrorism (or freedom fighters if you happen to prefer that term) and have never - at least in modern times - advocated or acted as apologists for violence as a means to achieve their ends.

The comparison would be offensive to most reasonable people.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

At the moment.

Relatively speaking, of course. Johnson hasn't been more batshit than Farage. Farage will keep it that way.
    "Batshit Boris" is the dog that hasn't barked. Your disappointment is palpable....
  • Options

Pardon?

SF are the political arm of a paramilitary organisation with a very long and bloody history of killing innocent people.

The SNP are a mainstream left of centre political movement which believes in an independent Scotland. They have absolutely no association with terrorism (or freedom fighters if you happen to prefer that term) and have never - at least in modern times - advocated or acted as apologists for violence as a means to achieve their ends.

They're both want the destruction of the UK - that's equivalence enough for me. If I had my way the SNP top brass would all be in jail for Sedition
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

At the moment.

"The Bad Boys Of Brexit" contains an anecdote about Farage, Banks (and Wiggy?) skinny-dipping naked in Bournemouth immediately after the Referendum result.

Pause.

You will never get that image out of your head now. It's like watching tobacco-stained walruses playing Penis Lightsabres.
    Is it?
  • Options

Pardon?

They're both want the destruction of the UK - that's equivalence enough for me. If I had my way the SNP top brass would all be in jail for Sedition
    And what of the people who vote for them?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

At the moment.

Johnson is Farage's prisoner. He can't say, I'll pass on this one, because Farage will tear him to pieces. For example, someone puts forward a suggestion that could be a way out on the backstop. Just discussing it takes him a few days past October 31. He will have to shut it down in the most public and emphatic way because of what Farage will do to him.
    Boris won't even consider putting alternatives to the backstop to the EU until he has a majority, however to get that majority he has to be prepared to go for No Deal
  • Options

Pardon?

It would be impractical to jail all of them - but maybe a few could be used as examples
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314

Su Pollard. Just for fun.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

So like Brexit then

Well it's crap news for us yoons anyway - it's alright for you English folk - but our only fun up here is Irn-Bru; that's no way to run a country.
    Don't be too concerned, in 1995 in the second Quebec independence referendum Yes led most final polls but most Don't Knows voted to stay in Canada and and No won by a narrow 51% to 49% margin
  • Options

Pardon?

What's so wrong with self determination?
  • Options

Pardon?

I want the destruction of the UK as well and I am English. It is not sedition, it is a simple recognition that people are poorly served by the current arrangements and that the best way to deal with that is to accept the independence of the various constituent parts of the UK so they remain close but independent friends.

Again equating the entirely peaceful SNP with Sinn Fein is both ignorant and offensive to many people.

Seems to me you are one step away from HYUFDs idiotic 'send in the troops' comments from a few days ago. Absolute lunacy.
  • Options

Pardon?

It would be impractical to jail all of them - but maybe a few could be used as examples
    I feel disappointed because I always read your username as Mr. J Briskin calling for indyref2. Funny how your eyes play tricks on you like that.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    I have no problem in offering Sturgeon a new indy ref but only after Brexit has been fully enacted as voted for by a simple UK majority. This would have to be after the transition period with a deal but could be brought forward in a no deal scenario. Had indyref 1 been won by 52:48 by the separatists we wouldn't still be discussing it 3 years later.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

At the moment.

"Batshit Boris" is the dog that hasn't barked. Your disappointment is palpable....
    Brexit October 31 do or die as a policy is neither sensible nor wise. Ditto refusing to talk with EU partners about future relations. By comparison Corbyn is boringly sensible. Whether Johnson's policies, allowing for figures of speech, are actually batshit, is a judgment call, I guess.
  • Options

Pardon?

What's so wrong with self determination?
    Nothing I guess - but they said Once In A Generation - we've all got limits.

Lock Her Up
  • Options

Pardon?

Why bother with jail? Priti will have them swinging from the nearest lamppost.
  • Options

Pardon?

I want the destruction of the UK as well and I am English. It is not sedition, it is a simple recognition that people are poorly served by the current arrangements and that the best way to deal with that is to accept the independence of the various constituent parts of the UK so they remain close but independent friends.

Again equating the entirely peaceful SNP with Sinn Fein is both ignorant and offensive to many people.

Seems to me you are one step away from HYUFDs idiotic 'send in the troops' comments from a few days ago. Absolute lunacy.
    You know that SF are the mainstream nationalists in NI now don't you. The equivalence is clear and exists.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

At the moment.

Boris won't even consider putting alternatives to the backstop to the EU until he has a majority, however to get that majority he has to be prepared to go for No Deal
    Boris will never get a majority - that's what makes this so interesting...
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,496
    edited August 2019

Indeed. I live in England in a part where hills of southern Scotland can be seen. The thought that our neighbours may soon be in a political union with Lithuania and Malta and out of a political union with England is both sad and ridiculous.

In a sane world we might work on uniting Ireland and uniting Britain, preferably all either in or out of the EU. But we can dream on...

• Options

Pardon?

I feel disappointed because I always read your username as Mr. J Briskin calling for indyref2. Funny how your eyes play tricks on you like that.
    No I'm Mr J Briskin who predicted indyref2 within 10 years of the first one.
  • Options

Pardon?

Well I can't condone that - a few months in jail for them to see the error of their ways should be enough.
  • Options

Pardon?

You know that SF are the mainstream nationalists in NI now don't you. The equivalence is clear and exists.
    I know what they are now. I also know what they have been for most of their history which is why your comparison is bloody stupid.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

At the moment.

Pause.

Is it?
    "Whum, whum, whum"
    "Bssht! Bssht!"
    "Whum, Whum, Whummmmmmmmm...whum whum"
    "Nigel, I am your father..."
    "Noooooooo!"
    "Whummmmmm"

(Exeunt, pursued by condom)
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Indeed. I live in England in a part where hills of southern Scotland can be seen. The thought that our neighbours may soon be in a political union with Lithuania and Malta and out of a political union with England is both sad and ridiculous.

In a sane world we might work on uniting Ireland and uniting Britain, preferably all either in or out of the EU. But we can dream on...

You are Sarah Palin and I claim my £5!
  • Options

Pardon?

I thought it was JB Risk in Indyref2
  • Options

Pardon?

Well I can't condone that - a few months in jail for them to see the error of their ways should be enough.
    You hand-wringing softy!
  • Options

Pardon?

I know what they are now. I also know what they have been for most of their history which is why your comparison is bloody stupid.
    What's bloody stupid is the people who vote for SF/SNP and want to break up our glorious Union. They're stupid as well as treasonable.
  • Options

Pardon?

No J Briskin is a character from a Philip K Dick book (A black US president - is there anything that guy got wrong???)
  • Options
    Can we stop talking about ‘no deal’ or’clean’ Brexit and start taking about WTO brexit which does not have the so called protection of GATT 24. Who is in control of the tariff setting, do they know what they are doing, who loses and who gains? This is not about queues at Dover it’s about the future of tens of thousands of businesses from bloody mozzarella to starter motors and jet engines, does any body know the answer without just say ‘ nothing to worry about go go wto’ ?
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

At the moment.

Boris will never get a majority - that's what makes this so interesting...
    With No Deal he could

https://twitter.com/tianran/status/1157199736232927232?s=20
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Suppose the buffoon isn't bluffing and he does pull that call a General Election after leaving stunt. What's to stop the EU agreeing to a new govt rejoining on the old terms instantaneously? We'd have been out of the EU for a couple of weeks so the referendum would be honoured.

Worth it for the look on Johnson and Cummings faces when announced about a week into the campaign.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

Pardon?

So you don't distinguish between the peaceful belief in an independent Scotland (or Cornwall or Little Whingeing or whatever) expressed through the ballot box, and blowing up innocent people?

Well, it's a view.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That's his strategy and it may win him the election. Problem is he has to actually go to No Deal on October 31, not just threaten it, to be in the Brexit Party space. Once he's in it, it will be difficult to get out. And that assumes he gets a decent majority, which is by no means assured.
  • Options

Pardon?

What's bloody stupid is the people who vote for SF/SNP and want to break up our glorious Union. They're stupid as well as treasonable.
    Yep you are a certifiable lunatic. Glad we have established that.
  • Options

Pardon?

I thought he was Indiana Ref, Jr, who at the end of the day risked drinking a glass of fine Jim Beam sipping whisky as a reward for long endeavours.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

You are Sarah Palin and I claim my £5!
    You are Michael Palin and I claim my shrubbery.
  • Options

Suppose the buffoon isn't bluffing and he does pull that call a General Election after leaving stunt. What's to stop the EU agreeing to a new govt rejoining on the old terms instantaneously? We'd have been out of the EU for a couple of weeks so the referendum would be honoured.

Worth it for the look on Johnson and Cummings faces when announced about a week into the campaign.

Treaty law I'm afraid. For the same reason we should never consider unilaterally breaking treaties, the EU would be bound by its own laws to go through the accession process again.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pardon?

So you don't distinguish between the peaceful belief in an independent Scotland (or Cornwall or Little Whingeing or whatever) expressed through the ballot box, and blowing up innocent people?

Well, it's a view.
    Okay, there's obviously an historic difference between SF and SNP.

All I'm saying is there is an equivalence (they're both the mainstream nationalist party on their part of the islands)
  • Options

Pardon?

No J Briskin is a character from a Philip K Dick book (A black US president - is there anything that guy got wrong???)
    Well I agree with the dick bit
  • Options

Pardon?

Our beloved NHS doesn't inject me monthly for nothing!
  • Options

Pardon?

You need to tell them to up the dosage as it isn't working.
  • Options

Pardon?

They're both want the destruction of the UK - that's equivalence enough for me. If I had my way the SNP top brass would a

You need to tell them to up the dosage as it isn't working.
    Bad news for you Tyndall - They're reducing the Dose!!!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

Treaty law I'm afraid. For the same reason we should never consider unilaterally breaking treaties, the EU would be bound by its own laws to go through the accession process again.
    We're considering unilaterally and deliberately breaking our treaty commitments under the GATT 1947 and 1994 treaties.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

They can go through the accession process on paper - just have a bilateral agreement to maintain the status quo for the duration. Simple.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

We're considering unilaterally and deliberately breaking our treaty commitments under the GATT 1947 and 1994 treaties.
    And as I have argued all along we should not do that. If a country breaks its treaty commitments then it is setting a very dangerous precedent.

The Irony is of course that if the EU did break its own treaties then it is inevitable it would end up being taken to court for it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Good point on Channel 4 News: British Airways don't know whether to be a top class or budget airline, and are failing at both.
  • Options

And the debate in the UK moves on to "Is it worth taking the extra funding from the NHS to fund the EU? If so, which hospitals do you want to close, Rejoiners?"
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

Talking about our 3 resident Tory members becoming ex-Tories, is there any anecdotal evidence of sane Tories decamping ? There is in the Labour party - not necessarily an avalanche but steady drip.

It's 4 in total isn't it:

Nabavi
    Herdson
    Big G
    TSE

Any more?
    I'm going the other way. Not formally rejoined yet but I was a member 2004-2016, quit due to May and intend to rejoin now.

Gutted I won't be going to Conference this year. I think it would be lots of fun.
    Conference is in Nuremberg this year, isn't it?
    No, it’s in Purgatory.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Good point on Channel 4 News: British Airways don't know whether to be a top class or budget airline, and are failing at both.

Yet International Airlines Group, BA's parent company, is still the 3rd largest European airline after Lufthansa and Ryanair
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It's interesting how Twitter, in less than 10 years, has seemingly demolished about 1,000 years of good manners in public discourse. What an achievement. But it's the people who post rude comments on Twitter who are mostly to blame, not the platform, since you can't reasonably blame a medium for the content individuals choose to post on it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116
    Are we really reduced to relying on the French to not make everything a shambles?

The Duke of Wellington must be turning in his grave.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    HYUFD said:
    Trump's being a total dick.

Beto is also blatantly politicising an attack to try and kick-start his flat lining campaign.
  • Options

And the debate in the UK moves on to "Is it worth taking the extra funding from the NHS to fund the EU? If so, which hospitals do you want to close, Rejoiners?"
    Only if you believe that EU membership was a negative benefit to the UK, that we paid the membership fee and received nothing back. If you believe that then you’ll never listen to any sound economic argument about our membership being of significant benefit to the UK only the lies of those who wish to capitalize on our departure.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936
    AndyJS said:

It's interesting how Twitter, in less than 10 years, has seemingly demolished about 1,000 years of good manners in public discourse. What an achievement. But it's the people who post rude comments on Twitter who are mostly to blame, not the platform, since you can't reasonably blame a medium for the content individuals choose to post on it.

I blame emojis and reaction gifs. We reply in memes not arguments. It's one of the best things about PB. The quality of debate here - certainly on the topic of UK politics, possibly also on the topic of pinapple and pizza - surpasses anywhere else on the web.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Yet International Airlines Group, BA's parent company, is still the 3rd largest European airline after Lufthansa and Ryanair
    Only because BA has a monopoly on Heathrow.

BA and Heathrow fall behind even CDG as places I will willingly fly via..
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

ydoethur said:

1. Corbyn, for all his sincerely held beliefs, isn't that bright.
    2. Corbyn, sincerely believes in the rights of the oppressed which leads to
    3. Corbyn, being blind to the anti-semitism of some of the supporters of those oppressed.

I don't think he's a bad man, just not a very bright one, completely and disastrously unsuited for the role he currently occupies, surrounded by manipulative people I would not extend the same benefit of the doubt to. I'm sure if I ever met him and said 'Jeremy, meet my Jewish friend Simon' he would be genuinely pleased to meet him....as long as we steered clear of Israel/Palestine....)
    Oh bother, vanilla messing me about
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The thing that should most concern Boris Johnson is how few don’t knows there are. He’s a known quantity and he’s cordially loathed by an absolute majority already.
  • Options

The thing that should most concern Boris Johnson is how few don’t knows there are. He’s a known quantity and he’s cordially loathed by an absolute majority already.

66% of Tories give him a favourable rating and 62% of Leavers
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Only because BA has a monopoly on Heathrow.

BA and Heathrow fall behind even CDG as places I will willingly fly via..
    It has a dominant position at Heathrow for short-haul flights. From the airline's perspective, Heathrow is 2-3x more expensive per pax than Gatwick/Stansted, and 4-5x more than elsewhere. Hence why it is home to so few budget shorthaul airlines.
This discussion has been closed.