Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It took 330 days before TMay’s “best PM” rating dropped below

Comments

• Options

FF43 said:

On US trade deals.

John Howard then PM of Australia controversially brought his country into the Iraq war on the idea that Australia should stay close to America and this would unlock all sorts of trade deals. Howard then called in the favour and after some foot dragging on the part of the Americans got his FTA The Australia Productivity Commission subsequently reviewed the deal and determined it brought no net advantage to Australia, which did far better with another multilateral deal.

Why should we expect any FTA with the US not to leave us actually worse off? The president now dislikes any arrangement that doesn't give the US an egregious advantage, unlike Bush he doesn't owe us any favours. And our government seems DESPERATE to sign.

Meanwhile in the real world Australia has since then grown from strength to strength, while the UK has flatlined in Europe.

But yeah any time I say this its all natural resources, Australia has nothing else apparently.
    Where is this magical growth going to come from after Brexit?
    We could liberalise our regulations like Singapore.
    We could sign trade deals with the rest of the world like America.

For starters.
    Why will signing a FTA with America make any difference to our growth? American companies already trade with Britain. It isn’t a vast new market.
    Why does have an FTA with Europe make any difference to our growth? Non-EU companies already trade with Europe.

Pot/kettle nonsense that.
    The EU is much more than a FTA agreement.
    Which is why we voted to Leave.
    No. We voted to leave for all sorts of ridiculous reasons; most having nothing to do with the EU at all. It is you that is projecting.

Do you think your libertarian ideology has majority support in this country? Honestly?
    No. But I think it is a not insignificant ideology within the Conservative Party, which is why I support it.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

On US trade deals.

John Howard then PM of Australia controversially brought his country into the Iraq war on the idea that Australia should stay close to America and this would unlock all sorts of trade deals. Howard then called in the favour and after some foot dragging on the part of the Americans got his FTA The Australia Productivity Commission subsequently reviewed the deal and determined it brought no net advantage to Australia, which did far better with another multilateral deal.

Why should we expect any FTA with the US not to leave us actually worse off? The president now dislikes any arrangement that doesn't give the US an egregious advantage, unlike Bush he doesn't owe us any favours. And our government seems DESPERATE to sign.

Meanwhile in the real world Australia has since then grown from strength to strength, while the UK has flatlined in Europe.

But yeah any time I say this its all natural resources, Australia has nothing else apparently.
    You can read the Australian Productivity Commission report on the FTA, if you like. It's online. Key point is that trade diversion means you lose as much you gain. So for example you can now sell bedsheets with no tariffs but you have to use American (or Australian) cottob to meet the content thresholds instead of the Egyptian cotton you used before, that was better quality and cheaper.

The APC were very clear, multilateral is the way to go for maximum benefit.
    Which is why they signed the TPP and we should be open to FTAs like that. I would welcome the UK joining the TPP.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    edited August 2019
    Juat saw daft Dr Cable on Newnight saying that Boris will be forced out.

Then "Fred Blogg" will become PM of some as yet unformed Parliamantary grouping purely to stop Brexit with absoultely no mandate from anyone.

Has the silly old duffer gone mad?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

On US trade deals.

Economic growth is the norm. It didn't begin with us entering the EU in 1973, nor will it end with us leaving it.
    Yes?
    So, your concern about where growth is going to come from seems misplaced.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Personally, I could not care less who comes into the country as long as they are not criminals that will attack, steal or defraud people. However, I helped an old lady today who voted for Brexit and she said that she was aware that the economy might not perform as well "but at least the immigrants will go home". I told her she was wrong on this and instead of European immigrants, more would come from elsewhere in the world. She changed the subject....

I'm glad she's wrong, aren't you? I'm also glad Boris has dropped the tens of thousands pledge and liberalised migration we need.

It doesn't mean that our old system wasn't a mess. I can see no reason to justify turning away the best and brightest while allowing uncapped low skilled migration. Can you justify it?
    No, because all high earning diehard Remainers do is yell 'racist' at anyone who suggests an immigration system based on skills needed rather than an open door
    It is the young who have to compete for these jobs and it is the young who voted overwhelmingly for Remain.
    46% of C2s aged 18-34 voted Leave as did 44% of 18-34 DEs, 65% of 35 to 54 C2s and 64% of 35 to 54 DEs voted Leave, it was only middle class young voters who voted overwhelmingly Remain, working class young voters split almost evenly and working class middle aged voters voted strongly for Leave

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-2016-eu-referendum
    Those statistics prove my point. A majority of 18-34 year olds in every social class voted to remain.
    No they do not at all, 46% of C2s aged 18 to 34 voted Leave and 44% of 18 to 34 DEs voted Leave compared to 71% of 18 to 34 ABC1 voters who voted Remain precisely because they wanted fewer low skilled and medium skilled EU immigrants which is precisely want Boris is delivering with his points system so migration is based on need not an open door
  • Options
    PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

Given Boris leads Corbyn 39% to 19% as preferred PM with YouGov today amongst all voters (including even leading Corbyn 32% to 23% with 25 to 49 year olds, 30% to 24% in London and 31% to 28% in Scotland) I doubt he is too bothered
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/8i9x45cenq/TheTimes_190806_VI_Trackers_w.pdf

Almost anybody could come out ahead of Corbyn, MrHY. Do you think that even you couldn`t?

The problem that you Tories face is that now there are four nationwide parties in the running. It is no longer enough just to be preferable to Corbyn.
    Oh absolutely it is given the majority of Tory marginal seats both defence and attack are against Labour
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Personally, I could not care less who comes into the country as long as they are not criminals that will attack, steal or defraud people. However, I helped an old lady today who voted for Brexit and she said that she was aware that the economy might not perform as well "but at least the immigrants will go home". I told her she was wrong on this and instead of European immigrants, more would come from elsewhere in the world. She changed the subject....

I'm glad she's wrong, aren't you? I'm also glad Boris has dropped the tens of thousands pledge and liberalised migration we need.

It doesn't mean that our old system wasn't a mess. I can see no reason to justify turning away the best and brightest while allowing uncapped low skilled migration. Can you justify it?
    No, because all high earning diehard Remainers do is yell 'racist' at anyone who suggests an immigration system based on skills needed rather than an open door
    It is the young who have to compete for these jobs and it is the young who voted overwhelmingly for Remain.
    46% of C2s aged 18-34 voted Leave as did 44% of 18-34 DEs, 65% of 35 to 54 C2s and 64% of 35 to 54 DEs voted Leave, it was only middle class young voters who voted overwhelmingly Remain, working class young voters split almost evenly and working class middle aged voters voted strongly for Leave

Those statistics prove my point. A majority of 18-34 year olds in every social class voted to remain.
    No they do not at all, 46% of C2s aged 18 to 34 voted Leave and 44% of 18 to 34 DEs voted Leave compared to 71% of 18 to 34 ABC1 voters who voted Remain precisely because they wanted fewer low skilled and medium skilled EU immigrants which is precisely want Boris is delivering with his points system so migration is based on need not an open door
    Tell me what is wrong about this statement:

“A majority of 18-34 year olds in every social class voted to remain”
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

On US trade deals.

Economic growth is the norm. It didn't begin with us entering the EU in 1973, nor will it end with us leaving it.
    Yes?
    I don’t doubt there will be growth. What I do doubt is the efficiency of the ‘turbocharger’.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

17% more C2 voters aged 18 to 34 voted Leave than ABC1 18 to 34 voters largely because of immigration
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

17% more C2 voters aged 18 to 34 voted Leave than ABC1 18 to 34 voters largely because of immigration
    And?
  • Options
    CurrystardogCurrystardog Posts: 110
    edited August 2019
    How about an example

Just watched Vince Cable on Newsnight, my god he talked nonsense

Pot kettle
    Go on then tell me what nonsense I talk
    Quite literally everything.
    How about an example?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Lib Dems hold the ward in Cambridge with a much increased majority. Good portent for Lib Dem gains in the next Westminster election.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209
    GIN1138 said:

Then "Fred Blogg" will become PM of some as yet unformed Parliamantary grouping purely to stop Brexit with absoultely no mandate from anyone.

Seems as likely as about twenty other scenarios to be honest.

Nobody has a f**king clue what will happen/
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,964

dixiedean said:

Drutt said:

On topic, is it the PM/LOTO 'best PM' margin or the raw approval numbers that are the best indication of electoral success? C'mon, someone on here must keep a spreadsheet.

On the Boris-headhunting-overseas scientists point, it's always seemed self-evident to me that a mature economy should treat immigration the same way a business should treat recruitment. Establish the nature, size and shape of the shortfall you have, seek applications, select from applicants.

Assuming (and this may be a bit of a reach) that the electorate agrees broadly with the Gov view of 'recruitment' need, nobody resents the new kid as a freeloader, easing community harmony to boot.

Indeed so. What evidence do we have that this will be done fairly, efficiently and competently? Besides, I was labouring under the misapprehension that the Tories believed the market, not the Nationalised Immigration Board, to be the best allocator of resources.
    I do believe in the market. I think there is a market-based way to solve this.

Set an income based threshold, perhaps say top 40 percentile of UK wages, and if a prospective migrant is getting a job with a salary over that threshold let them in. If they're not then don't.

It's just a starting point suggestion but is a market-based one. If there is high wages for the job then that would imply there is high demand/high skills in that role, while if it is a minimum wage role then there is no shortage or the employer wouldn't be paying minimum wage and no need to bring someone in for it.
    Heavily regionally discriminatory. There are relatively few jobs in the NE that pay mean UK average. Besides, today's announcement just scrapped the need for a job offer. So, we don't know their salary. That is obviously not the route we are going down.
    An interesting example, is of course, care work. There are labour shortages in this sector. It is badly paid. No bugger wants to do it. Why not? Cos it is bloody hard work. Pay rates don't reflect the market rate, cos the government won't bite the bullet and force people to pay the going rate, or, alternatively, subsidise it up to a reasonable level. As you correctly point out, there is no great pool of the unemployed out there to do this work. How to square the circle?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

On US trade deals.

Yes?
    It's the difference between Germany and Italy. Germany is the country with the much nicer job prospects over the longer term.

The UK is aspiring to be Italy, not Germany, right now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

Given Boris leads Corbyn 39% to 19% as preferred PM with YouGov today amongst all voters (including even leading Corbyn 32% to 23% with 25 to 49 year olds, 30% to 24% in London and 31% to 28% in Scotland) I doubt he is too bothered
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/8i9x45cenq/TheTimes_190806_VI_Trackers_w.pdf

Almost anybody could come out ahead of Corbyn, MrHY. Do you think that even you couldn`t?

The problem that you Tories face is that now there are four nationwide parties in the running. It is no longer enough just to be preferable to Corbyn.
    Oh absolutely it is given the majority of Tory marginal seats both defence and attack are against Labour
    Several years ago, when the Lib Dems were still undeservedly under attack for having been in the Coalition Government with the dastardly Tories, and the Brexit Party Ltd did not even exist.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

I presume you mean Brexit & LD. So you seriously think they are in contention in a GE?
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Lib Dems hold the ward in Cambridge with a much increased majority. Good portent for Lib Dem gains in the next Westminster election.

Reminds me of the much missed Mark Senior now departed, posting Lib-Dem local by election successes late on a Thursday night...
  • Options
    PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

Several years ago, when the Lib Dems were still undeservedly under attack for having been in the Coalition Government with the dastardly Tories, and the Brexit Party Ltd did not even exist.
    No, still now on UNS unless and until the LDs and Brexit Party overtake Labour
  • Options

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

I presume you mean Brexit & LD. So you seriously think they are in contention in a GE?
    Since both Tories and Labour are rapidly disintegrating, it could well be so.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And?
    17% is a huge gap, working class voters were more Leave across the board, including with young voters
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

"Gone"?, he's always been mad.
  • Options
    Tories up 0.2%, Labour down 18%, Labour to Tory swing 9%, more evidence for Boris bounce!!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It was one of the most bizarre interviews I have ever seen, the Fred Bloggs thing was proper mad
  • Options
    Looks like the Tories have held Irthlingborough Waterloo.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

hahahahahahaha
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

We're going to leave the EU on 31st October.

The only question is whether there will be an agreement or whether we leave without a deal.

Boris and Cummings have outplayed and outmaneuvered our dimwitted MPs...

Cables fanciful ravings on Newsnight are a sign he knows the games up.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Drutt said:

On topic, is it the PM/LOTO 'best PM' margin or the raw approval numbers that are the best indication of electoral success? C'mon, someone on here must keep a spreadsheet.

On the Boris-headhunting-overseas scientists point, it's always seemed self-evident to me that a mature economy should treat immigration the same way a business should treat recruitment. Establish the nature, size and shape of the shortfall you have, seek applications, select from applicants.

Assuming (and this may be a bit of a reach) that the electorate agrees broadly with the Gov view of 'recruitment' need, nobody resents the new kid as a freeloader, easing community harmony to boot.

Indeed so. What evidence do we have that this will be done fairly, efficiently and competently? Besides, I was labouring under the misapprehension that the Tories believed the market, not the Nationalised Immigration Board, to be the best allocator of resources.

Set an income based threshold, perhaps say top 40 percentile of UK wages, and if a prospective migrant is getting a job with a salary over that threshold let them in. If they're not then don't.

It's just a starting point suggestion but is a market-based one. If there is high wages for the job then that would imply there is high demand/high skills in that role, while if it is a minimum wage role then there is no shortage or the employer wouldn't be paying minimum wage and no need to bring someone in for it.
    Heavily regionally discriminatory. There are relatively few jobs in the NE that pay mean UK average. Besides, today's announcement just scrapped the need for a job offer. So, we don't know their salary. That is obviously not the route we are going down.
    An interesting example, is of course, care work. There are labour shortages in this sector. It is badly paid. No bugger wants to do it. Why not? Cos it is bloody hard work. Pay rates don't reflect the market rate, cos the government won't bite the bullet and force people to pay the going rate, or, alternatively, subsidise it up to a reasonable level. As you correctly point out, there is no great pool of the unemployed out there to do this work. How to square the circle?
    This is supply and demand economics, red in tooth and claw.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    HYUFD said:

Tories up 0.2%, Labour down 18%, Labour to Tory swing 9%, more evidence for Boris bounce!!
    In a seat which the Lib Dems held with an increased majority. Moreover in a Labour-held Westminster seat. Sorry, my old friend HY. The Conservative Party is a spent and broken force. Its collapse into fascism means that it will never come back into office by traditional legitimate processes.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Portillos two-part documentary on the Tories and Brexit on Channel 5 was very good I thought.

Can recommend it.

Good night PB. :)
  • Options
    PClipp said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

"could" is a climb down I can accept
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

The only question is whether there will be an agreement or whether we leave without a deal.

Which raises another scenario about November 1 GE. We could, of course, then elect a government to take us straight back in.
    The referendum will have been respected. We voted to Leave, we left. For one day.
    I trust there will be no moaning and whinging should that occur.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    GIN1138 said:

Boris Johnson may well be forced out. But, only Corbyn can replace him.
  • Options
    If Corbyn became PM to delay Brexit prior to a GE, I wonder what would happen to Sterling. Normally it would rise with a Brexit delay but then again, Corbyn is in Downing Street... 🤷‍♂️
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Drutt said:

This is supply and demand economics, red in tooth and claw.
    So what is the solution? Right now, we are relying on immigrant labour to prevent the whole sector collapsing.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

In a seat which the Lib Dems held with an increased majority. Moreover in a Labour-held Westminster seat. Sorry, my old friend HY. The Conservative Party is a spent and broken force. Its collapse into fascism means that it will never come back into office by traditional legitimate processes.
    On a 9% swing from Labour even in Remainer full Cambridge the Tories would win a comfortable majority
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited August 2019

Just watched Vince Cable on Newsnight, my god he talked nonsense

He didn't get a word in edgeways. People never do with Kirsty. She'd be at her happiest interviewing herself. But for the little we heard of him Vince was very good indeed. It's a pity we don't have any grown up leaders at the moment
  • Options
    PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

In a seat which the Lin Dems held with an increased majority. Moreover in a Labour-held Westminster seat. Sorry, my old friend HY. The Conservative Party is a spent and broken force. Its collapse into fascism means that it will never come back into office by traditional legitimate processes.
    "Traditional Legitimate processes"? Does that include elections or what? If so, rigged or not? It's past your bedtime.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,748
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Fourth. Rate. Like the skills needed for plumbing and construction work apparently!

Sixth like the annual percentage cut in wages for British plumbers and construction workers diehard Remainers would ensure by keeping free movement from the EU for workers in those areas
    Brexit, and the cackhanded way it is being implemented, has ensured that the pounds that they are paid in have decreased in value by ~25% since the day the referendum date was announced (£1=~$1.6 to £1=~$1.2). So they can now buy less from a smaller pool and can travel less with what they have.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Which raises another scenario about November 1 GE. We could, of course, then elect a government to take us straight back in.
    The referendum will have been respected. We voted to Leave, we left. For one day.
    Absolutely if a party is elected on a manifesto to have a referendum on whether to rejoin or not then that would be entirely reasonable.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

That is the line it suits both Labour and Tories to push right now. And it may well turn out to be true.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Fourth. Rate. Like the skills needed for plumbing and construction work apparently!

Sixth like the annual percentage cut in wages for British plumbers and construction workers diehard Remainers would ensure by keeping free movement from the EU for workers in those areas
    Brexit, and the cackhanded way it is being implemented, has ensured that the pounds that they are paid in have decreased in value by ~25% since the day the referendum date was announced (£1=~$1.6 to £1=~$1.2). So they can now buy less from a smaller pool and can travel less with what they have.
    In the UK they can buy far more and that is where they do most of their spending outside a fortnight sojourn to the Costas
  • Options

dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Absolutely if a party is elected on a manifesto to have a referendum on whether to rejoin or not then that would be entirely reasonable.
    But what if they are elected on a manifesto to take us back in without a referendum?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

In the UK they can buy far more and that is where they do most of their spending outside a fortnight sojourn to the Costas
    Are you stereotyping plumbers and construction workers by saying they all go to Benidorm for 2 weeks?

How patronising.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121
    HYUFD said:

Oh dear. When I saw those figures I was going to post a satirical little comment to the effect that HYUFD would probably claim that was a 9% swing from Labour to the Tories.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Are you stereotyping all plumbers and construction workers by saying they all go to Benidorm for 2 weeks?

How patronising.
    It is not patronising it is a fact that Spain is the most visited country by British holidaymakers, with 13 million visitors from the UK to Spain in 2016 for example, ahead of France despite it being nearer in second place and almost three times the number of visitors to 3rd placed Italy

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/datablog/2016/jul/30/where-do-brits-go-on-holiday
  • Options

PClipp said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

"could" is a climb down I can accept
    With our failing voting system, anything could happen, Mr Cide. And in a four horse race too....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Must skilled construction workers earn way above average wage. Doubt they'd be slumming it on the Costas. Florida, Canada or Thailand at,the very least. Gambia is popular too, and Seville and Madrid, if it must be Spain.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

But what if they are elected on a manifesto to take us back in without a referendum?
    I imagine they will be met by a veto by Macron.

I don't think after enduring this the EU fancies a hokey-cokey Brexit. I think they would want to see a referendum first to ensure this is actually the settled will of our country and not something to be reversed at the next election.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Are you stereotyping all plumbers and construction workers by saying they all go to Benidorm for 2 weeks?

How patronising.
    It is not patronising it is a fact that Spain is the most visited country by British holidaymakers, with 13 million visitors from the UK to Spain in 2016 for example, ahead of France despite it being nearer in second place and almost three times the number of visitors to 3rd placed Italy

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/datablog/2016/jul/30/where-do-brits-go-on-holiday
    Yes, but. As I, and others who have wearily retreated from the field, have been trying to point out. Construction workers, and C2s in general, are not average. They are way above average income.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2019
    dixiedean said:

They won't need a job offer if they're in certain fields. That doesn't apply to everyone and their uncle.

We have more than one way to apply for a visa. My proposal could be one of them, it doesn't have to be the only one. As for the being regionally-discriminatory is that not the case with migration already? I suppose you could adjust it though, many jobs on national pay scales have a premium if you work in London, you could that that with the threshold too. If the job offer is in an area with a problem with house prices [ie London and the SE] increase the threshold proportionately.

As for care homes, people will have to pay the going rate if they can't fill the roles. That is the point of a going rate. It is bloody hard work, so why should its pay not reflect that?
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 778
    edited August 2019
    A thought in response to Boris' latest threat of having a general election in the immediate aftermath of no deal Brexit: I think this can be avoided by Parliament simply holding its fire on the VONC until early October. This has several benefits:

1) If Boris is able to hold on through the 14 days, he will still face an election, except it will be almost a month after no deal Brexit has happened and getting towards December - much less to his advantage than if the election was held before the consequences of no deal are felt

2) Corbyn is marginally more likely to accept a compromise candidate if the clock is ticking close to zero and there's no possibility of arranging an election before the hard Brexit date

3) Finally, it means that, if Parliament is successful in forming a government of national unity, it will still have a couple of weeks to agree an extension

Any thoughts on the potential downsides to this?
  • Options
    edited August 2019

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I imagine they will be met by a veto by Macron.

I don't think after enduring this the EU fancies a hokey-cokey Brexit. I think they would want to see a referendum first to ensure this is actually the settled will of our country and not something to be reversed at the next election.
    Well maybe. However, they may just calculate 5 years more of the sweet deal you think they get from us would be worth it.
    Also, why would a referendum be less reversible than a GE result? They are both snapshots in time.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

How patronising.

Yes, but. As I, and others who have wearily retreated from the field, have been trying to point out. Construction workers, and C2s in general, are not average. They are way above average income.
    C2s are not on 'way above average income' and nor is the average building site worker, surveyors and managers maybe but they are more ABs than C2s
  • Options
    @dixiedean I edited my last post so you might not have seen it in full.

How is this for a regionally-adjusted and dynamic free market migration policy: Set a pay threshold at x% of regional house prices.

If you were to say 15% of regional house prices then a threshold of just over £24k would exist in the North West. A threshold of just under £19k in the North East, £48k for the South East and £71k in London.

If a region would like to attract more migrants, they would need to ensure that homes are built to ensure they are affordable.

This could be devolved to Scotland [like it is somewhat devolved in Canada] but if they kept a similar proposal their threshold would be £22.5k

There could be other alternative schemes available for fields we want like scientists and NHS but this would be open to anyone with a clean criminal record who met the threshold.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

That is the line it suits both Labour and Tories to push right now. And it may well turn out to be true.
    On the other hand,nobody trusts a word of what Labour and the Tories say. So it may well not be true.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

On the other hand,nobody trusts a word of what Labour and the Tories say. So it may well not be true.
    Since it takes over 300 MPs must agree an alternative, if both Labour and Tories hold to that line then it is by definition true, unless hundreds of MPs defect from those parties.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

They won't need a job offer if they're in certain fields. That doesn't apply to everyone and their uncle.

We have more than one way to apply for a visa. My proposal could be one of them, it doesn't have to be the only one. As for the being regionally-discriminatory is that not the case with migration already? I suppose you could adjust it though, many jobs on national pay scales have a premium if you work in London, you could that that with the threshold too. If the job offer is in an area with a problem with house prices [ie London and the SE] increase the threshold proportionately.

As for care homes, people will have to pay the going rate if they can't fill the roles. That is the point of a going rate. It is bloody hard work, so why should its pay not reflect that?
    Fair enough. Care work would collapse tomorrow without immigrants though. Some thinking about this from those who are in government would be appreciated. Like a lot of stuff they aren't providing much detail. In fact, I'd be a lot less anti-Brexit if any kind of idea of what comes next had been provided.
    I realise you have your own piratey solutions, which is fine, and logical, etc. However, yours is a niche view, and you aren't running the show.
    Anyway, good night.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited August 2019
    viewcode said:

Not quite as much, it was in the $1.38-$1.47 range in the 6 months before the referendum.

A sensible deal would have recovered most of that … indeed when the WA looked likely to pass last year, it was back up to $1.43.

We'll probably be lucky if it stays much above $1.05 on a crash exit though.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Thanks to the efforts of one of our new MEPs, this story was proven not to be a hoax...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Fair enough. Care work would collapse tomorrow without immigrants though. Some thinking about this from those who are in government would be appreciated. Like a lot of stuff they aren't providing much detail. In fact, I'd be a lot less anti-Brexit if any kind of idea of what comes next had been provided.
    I realise you have your own piratey solutions, which is fine, and logical, etc. However, yours is a niche view, and you aren't running the show.
    Anyway, good night.
    I don't see why care work would collapse, especially if pay rates for care workers goes up. This idea local people don't work in care is a total myth.

According to this news article from the Guardian the proportion of care workers from other countries varies dramatically by region, from 98% of North-East care workers to 88% of London care workers NOT being from other European countries. Overall those NOT from other European countries represent 93% of the care workforce: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/25/brexit-fears-eu-nationals-working-social-care-theresa-may-sarah-wollaston

Given we've already said [quite rightly] that those already here should be able to remain, why should anything collapse? 93% of the workforce will be totally unaffected by any changes, the 7% already here will be unaffected too.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Ratters said:

A thought in response to Boris' latest threat of having a general election in the immediate aftermath of no deal Brexit: I think this can be avoided by Parliament simply holding its fire on the VONC until early October. This has several benefits:

1) If Boris is able to hold on through the 14 days, he will still face an election, except it will be almost a month after no deal Brexit has happened and getting towards December - much less to his advantage than if the election was held before the consequences of no deal are felt

2) Corbyn is marginally more likely to accept a compromise candidate if the clock is ticking close to zero and there's no possibility of arranging an election before the hard Brexit date

3) Finally, it means that, if Parliament is successful in forming a government of national unity, it will still have a couple of weeks to agree an extension

Yup, agree with all that, not to mention:

- The later it gets the more it will be obvious that Boris isn't going to get a deal by credibly threatening to walk away, and we're definitely in million-to-one territory. I know the messaging is already there but he still uses that line sometimes, and there must be some voters who believe it

- The closer you get to the deadline, the more chance you have to look at the details and say, "What are your specific plans for X", which are generally going to be less appetizing than the abstract case for the Grand Patriotic Flounce.

• Options
    edited August 2019

@dixiedean I edited my last post so you might not have seen it in full.

How is this for a regionally-adjusted and dynamic free market migration policy: Set a pay threshold at x% of regional house prices.

If you were to say 15% of regional house prices then a threshold of just over £24k would exist in the North West. A threshold of just under £19k in the North East, £48k for the South East and £71k in London.

If a region would like to attract more migrants, they would need to ensure that homes are built to ensure they are affordable.

This could be devolved to Scotland [like it is somewhat devolved in Canada] but if they kept a similar proposal their threshold would be £22.5k

There could be other alternative schemes available for fields we want like scientists and NHS but this would be open to anyone with a clean criminal record who met the threshold.

Yep. When I investigated re-emigrating back to Canada, this was very big on the points. Basically if you could survive Yukon winters you could get in. However, that was dependant on strong Provincial de-centralised government. Another area on which Brexit ministers haven't provided any evidence of thought. Not your job to do it for them of course, but the narrowness of ideas, from them, not you, as you are putting some thought into it, does not inspire confidence.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Continuing with my Mark Senior tribute act.....

Britain Elects @britainelects

Claines (Worcester) result:

LDEM: 47.6% (+9.3)
    CON: 45.6% (+5.2)
    GRN: 4.6% (-0.6)
    LAB: 2.2% (-12.4)

Liberal Democrat GAIN from Conservative.

Two out of the three seats this evening go to the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    ·
    1m

8.8% swing from LAB to CON ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    PClipp said:

Two out of the three seats this evening seeing a swing from Labour to the Tories
  • Options

PClipp said:

Are you part of the HY team, Mr Thompson?

Broken corrupt Tories on the slide everywhere. 😜
  • Options
    PClipp said:

PClipp said:

PS Decent respectable Conservatives have already left the former Conservative Party. How many are on the point of doing so? Just asking.....
  • Options
    PClipp said:

PClipp said:

PClipp said:

PS Decent respectable Conservatives have already left the former Conservative Party. How many are on the point of doing so? Just asking.....
    I'd like to say I'm a decent, respectable Conservative that is rejoining the Conservative Party.

Speaking as a socially liberal, fiscally dry Conservative it is a shame that socially liberal, fiscally dry and obsessed with Europe Conservatives like TSE have felt the need to leave ;)
  • Options
    PClipp said:

A win's a win - but the Tory vote held up well......
  • Options
    Ratters said:

Agree - which may be why Cummings et al are trying to panic the Commons into an early VONC - he may be absolutist about Brexit, but the only thing Johnson is absolutist about is his career.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Italian governing coalition between Lega Nord and Five Star breaks up as Lega leader and Deputy PM Matteo Salvini calls for a general election.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49287219

Latest Italian poll has Lega 38% Democratic Party 22%, Five Star 17.5% and Forza Italia 8%
    https://www.termometropolitico.it/1451088_sondaggi-elettorali-tecne-lega-al-38-pd-e-m5s-distanti.html
  • Options

Ratters said:

Agree - which may be why Cummings et al are trying to panic the Commons into an early VONC - he may be absolutist about Brexit, but the only thing Johnson is absolutist about is his career.
    You think they're trying to panic them into a VONC? It seemed to me the opposite.

The whole point of saying it's too late to force an early election seems to me to be to prevent a VONC. If it's too late to hold an election to prevent Brexit then why bother?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited August 2019
    Boris Johnson could become the shortest serving PM, ever! :smiley:

The so called Boris bounce is very weak imo. The Tories are on less than when they were flatlineing in the late 1990s and 2000s!
  • Options
    Not sure if this was discussed, but it still surprised me, and certainly clashes with (some) Londoner's self-image:

London is the most authoritarian part of the country, likely reflecting its younger and ethnically diverse population:
    ● 66% of Londoners support strongman leaders, vs. 54% in the North East.
    ● Support for army rule is more than twice as high in London (42%) as the North East (17%)

Also,

Young people are considerably more authoritarian than older generations:
    ● 64% of under-35s want a strongman leader, compared to 52% of over-65s.
    ● 24% of under-35s do not think democratic government is a good way to run the country vs. 93% of over-65s.
    Edit Pretty sure they mean 7% for the 0ver-65s (100-93) to question "having a democratic system" is good way to run country.

https://www.ukonward.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Politics-of-Belonging-Deck-v.4.pdf
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Ratters said:

You think they're trying to panic them into a VONC? It seemed to me the opposite.

The whole point of saying it's too late to force an early election seems to me to be to prevent a VONC. If it's too late to hold an election to prevent Brexit then why bother?
    Because its not too late to create a GONU from the current parliament if its clear Johnson is heading for the cliff. That may concentrate a few minds. The "cunning plan" is predicated on Parliament being dissolved before Johnson can be replaced. If however that fails and Parliament replaces him and extends or revokes, all bets are off.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964

Boris Johnson could become the shortest serving PM, ever! :smiley:

The so called Boris bounce is very weak imo. The Tories are on less than when they were flatlineing in the late 1990s and 2000s!

But they were on worse before....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Reharding the recent discussion about possible Trump impeachment, we now have a likely timescale:
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/456805-nadler-this-is-formal-impeachment-proceedings
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Will this be seen as the moment the tide turned?

"EL PASO — If consoling the nation in a time of desperate need is a vital and yet simple task of the American presidency, Donald J. Trump failed miserably this week."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/08/opinion/el-paso-trump-racism.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1159663137332899840

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1159664834708955141
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

PClipp said:

A win's a win - but the Tory vote held up well......
    Evidence that those who are suggesting the (?) forthcoming election isn’t going to see big vote switches between the remain parties are clinging to false hope. Labour’s result is more dramatic in proportional terms than at Brecon.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    HYUFD said:

Generously, the LibDems decided to give Tory and Labour a free run; winning all three would just be greedy.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    BoZo...

Boris Johnson was accused by a Nobel laureate last night of taking scientists “for fools” after he announced plans to attract the “best minds from around the world” after Brexit.

Announcing an overhaul of the immigration system, the prime minister promised to make it easier for leading academics to settle in Britain when it had left the European Union.

His proposal was ridiculed by the world-leading physicist Professor Sir Andre Geim, whose discovery of graphene was lauded by Mr Johnson in his announcement.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/brexit-dont-take-us-for-fools-top-scientist-warns-boris-johnson-wrqbk35wp
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    As meaningless statistics go, this is right up there.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    The sole qualification for being Director of a National Intelligence is, apparently, having “a close bond with Trump”:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/no-2-intelligence-official-resigning-trump-announces/2019/08/08/9ed9d266-b54e-11e9-951e-de024209545d_story.html
    Democratic and Republican lawmakers had said they wanted Gordon, a career intelligence official, to fill in for Coats. But Trump was reluctant to keep someone with whom he had never formed a close bond. The president and his aides also regarded her as a career official and consequently suspicious, according to officials with knowledge of the president’s views. ...
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    “The statement added: "We are clear Labour's position on Scotland's future is a decision for Scottish Labour, which the UK party must accept.”

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49279594

I’m confused. It was Labour that wanted the constitution reserved to Westminster. Have they seen the error of their ways?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    FPT - I’m a bit late to the Tissue Price party here but I’ve just looked up the impeachment bets. I note that Betfair exchange pays out on the process starting with the House voting by a simple majority for his impeachment and *not* his actual impeachment and removal from office following a 2/3rds majority in the senate.

Given those rules it’s definitely value and should probably be priced about Evens. Otherwise I’d expect full impeachment with a Senate 2/3rds majority at well north of 12/1 before I was interested.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    This just gets funnier and funnier:

Scottish Labour ‘kamikaze unionists’ issued indy parliamentary statement against Leonard’s wishes

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/14573/exclusive-scottish-labour-kamikaze-unionists-issued-indy-parliamentary-statement

Kamikaze Unionists. That’s a keeper.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Pissing it down here. Hope Whaley Bridge residents don't find the reservoir's dangerously full again.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Scott_P said:
    2 November would be more appropriate.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Scott_P said:
    Are these people really so daft as to think that the effects of nodeal will only be felt on November 1st? As if somehow the markets (and for that matter consumers, businesses etc) are just going to be sitting around assuming some sort of last minute resolution will turn up at 11pm the day before?

(This is, of course, also the obvious flaw in the suggested “have an election on Nov 1st before the queues at Dover start to form argument)
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Is that true, though?

What about an alternative neutral Tory leader that has crossparty appeal as a temporary stopgap to halt a No Deal Brexit? Like Lidington?

It’s unlikely, yes, and would cause a lot of fall out in both Labour and the Conservatives but not impossible.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Is that true, though?

What about an alternative neutral Tory leader that has crossparty appeal as a temporary stopgap to halt a No Deal Brexit? Like Lidington?

It’s unlikely, yes, and would cause a lot of fall out in both Labour and the Conservatives but not impossible.
    Once again, I got 100/1 on Caroline Lucas last night. Any conceivable unity Prime Minister has to be acceptable to Jeremy Corbyn, and unthreatening, if it isn’t going to be him.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891
    edited August 2019

Yup, agree with all that, not to mention:

- The later it gets the more it will be obvious that Boris isn't going to get a deal by credibly threatening to walk away, and we're definitely in million-to-one territory. I know the messaging is already there but he still uses that line sometimes, and there must be some voters who believe it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq5vZ1I0HAU

The chances of no deal coming from Brexit are a million to one, Boris said.

The chances of no deal coming from Brexit are a million to one...

But still, it came!
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Scott_P said:
    It’s a bank holiday in most of Europe
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.