Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New party grouping, Unite to Remain, will make BJohnson’s autu

Comments

• Options
    DayTripperDayTripper Posts: 129

rcs1000 said:

I'm currently in the Department of Motor Vehicles, renewing my driving license. It is the greatest social leveller. You can be Tim Cook, or Michael Bloomberg, or the most humble undocumented migrant, and you'll be waiting on the same queue, in the same uncomfortable chairs.

It's surprising how slow the home of silicon valley is to adopt the latest technologies - they were well behind Europe in bringing in chip and pin authorisation for card payments. In 2016 when I had to submit returns to the IRS on behalf of my then employer I was amazed to be told that they had to be completed on paper and then faxed - there was no online system and the IRS did not accept email!
    I’m 27 and I’ve never seen, never mind use, a fax machine.
    When I was 27 I'd never used a mobile phone.
    When I was 27 I'd just about got my own phone installed to be able to ring my parents and assure them I wasn't wasting away rather than having to find the nearest phonebox. Mind you, a few years before when I lived in Toxteth (Liverpool 8) I sometimes had to share the phone box with scallies who were trying to break into the coinbox to share the proceeds with the GPO, or BT or whoever it was at the time.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    I for one think this coin is the perfect metaphor for Brexit. Let's embrace it.

Brexiteers opt not to use the second half of Jefferson's sentence - entangling alliances with none - which is the bit they really mean. So they refer to "Peace and Friendship" as a Freemasons' code for the real meaning.

This coin manages to be highly insulting, disingenuous and bombastic all at the same time. But that's what Brexit is all about.
    I expect Remain / Rejoin campaigns will be collecting them for funds. And I expect Leave politicians will be receiving a lot of them, with sharpened edges thrown at force.
    I don't approve of that. If some way could be found to deface the coin with a "Bollocks to Brexit" message and then put it back into circulation - that would be an entirely worthwhile gesture IMO
    There's a great precedent for that:

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

rcs1000 said:

I'm currently in the Department of Motor Vehicles, renewing my driving license. It is the greatest social leveller. You can be Tim Cook, or Michael Bloomberg, or the most humble undocumented migrant, and you'll be waiting on the same queue, in the same uncomfortable chairs.

It's surprising how slow the home of silicon valley is to adopt the latest technologies - they were well behind Europe in bringing in chip and pin authorisation for card payments. In 2016 when I had to submit returns to the IRS on behalf of my then employer I was amazed to be told that they had to be completed on paper and then faxed - there was no online system and the IRS did not accept email!
    When I was 27 I'd just about got my own phone installed to be able to ring my parents and assure them I wasn't wasting away rather than having to find the nearest phonebox. Mind you, a few years before when I lived in Toxteth (Liverpool 8) I sometimes had to share the phone box with scallies who were trying to break into the coinbox to share the proceeds with the GPO, or BT or whoever it was at the time.
    Come on we used to stick tissues up so when you pushed button b you didn’t get your money back
  • Options
    Excuse my ignorance - who's the cadaver?
  • Options

I’ve no idea but thanks for asking!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,029

Steve McFadden who plays Phil Mitchell in Eastenders, and after whom CW Steve has named himself. He's a recurring figure (not sure if he's in every piece).
  • Options

Steve McFadden who plays Phil Mitchell in Eastenders, and after whom CW Steve has named himself. He's a recurring figure (not sure if he's in every piece).
    Thanks
  • Options

Thanks
    Well fuck me again I still don’t understand but I’ll leave it to the rest of you to take the piss
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

You cant do it online?
    Certainly not. What century do you think this is?
    I renewed mine by post ;)
    OK. I sent my form back to the DMV with a cheque to renew by mail.

Yet no driving license arrived. And the cheque wasn't cashed.

So, I thought I'd better go along and renew it in person.

And it turned out the reason I wasn't allowed to renew by mail (which failed silently) was because they needed to check my visa was still valid. So, I had to go home and get my passport and visa, and wait another two and half hours at the DMV.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

You cant do it online?

And it turned out the reason I wasn't allowed to renew by mail (which failed silently) was because they needed to check my visa was still valid. So, I had to go home and get my passport and visa, and wait another two and half hours at the DMV.
    (It's worth noting that California lets illegal immigrants get driving licenses. So, I could have claimed to have been in the US illegally to get a renewal. But I thought that might not be the best of ideas.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

You cant do it online?

Well trafico at Alicante is not much better, when I first went I photo copied absolutely everything and said to my wife I should have put a photo copy of my arse in just in case. When we got to the front of the queue the lady said I was missing a copy of my backside. After wetting ourselves it turned out she wanted the reverse side of my license.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,718
    Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

Brexiteers opt not to use the second half of Jefferson's sentence - entangling alliances with none - which is the bit they really mean. So they refer to "Peace and Friendship" as a Freemasons' code for the real meaning.

This coin manages to be highly insulting, disingenuous and bombastic all at the same time. But that's what Brexit is all about.
    I expect Remain / Rejoin campaigns will be collecting them for funds. And I expect Leave politicians will be receiving a lot of them, with sharpened edges thrown at force.
    This is Faragian. You don't explicitly advocate violence, you just bring up ways it could be done.
    Do you really expect the serried ranks of pb commenters to rise up and launch an intifada on the basis of a nod and wink from me? Get a grip.
    Sadly, I have seen far too many ideas rise from the cesspit of social media to impact national politics in recent years. I will continue to call out all winks and nods to violence wherever I see them.
    There are thousands of people in Hong Kong protesting for democracy and free elections. You are arguing on a website populated almost exclusively by middle-aged middle-class people who are as scary as wet lettuce and whose only sin is to bang on about Brexit incessantly. If your mission is to "continue to call out all winks and nods to violence wherever I see them", then there are better sites than this.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

You cant do it online?

Yeah, I had to send a photocopy of mine with the renewal application. Took a while, but eventually got it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It’s your fault newspapers don’t tell the truth
    Why was the New York Times "called out" for factual reporting?
    Douglas Murray"

https://unherd.com/2019/08/its-your-fault-newspapers-dont-tell-the-truth/
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

You cant do it online?

(It's worth noting that California lets illegal immigrants get driving licenses. So, I could have claimed to have been in the US illegally to get a renewal. But I thought that might not be the best of ideas.)
    It would have been - interesting.

But you could have offered to drive the truck to the Mexican border for them.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    edited August 2019
    viewcode said:

Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

This is Faragian. You don't explicitly advocate violence, you just bring up ways it could be done.
    Do you really expect the serried ranks of pb commenters to rise up and launch an intifada on the basis of a nod and wink from me? Get a grip.
    Sadly, I have seen far too many ideas rise from the cesspit of social media to impact national politics in recent years. I will continue to call out all winks and nods to violence wherever I see them.
    There are thousands of people in Hong Kong protesting for democracy and free elections. You are arguing on a website populated almost exclusively by middle-aged middle-class people who are as scary as wet lettuce and whose only sin is to bang on about Brexit incessantly. If your mission is to "continue to call out all winks and nods to violence wherever I see them", then there are better sites than this.
    Next time I am at a Hong Kong protest and I see people encouraging violence against democratic politicians, I will call it out there as well. But keep on standing up for people's bad behaviour just because they are part of your tribe. It is a dynamic that is working so well.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

rcs1000 said:

DMV was one of the worst experiences of my life. Up there with my Global Entry interview
  • Options
    "I should put a photocopy of my arse in just in case"

LOLWUT
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    CatMan said:

As a Remainer (almost an Ultra-Remainer), I still think we should respect the referendum (as moronic as it was) and leave. The trouble is, Leavers seem to be doing everything they can to ensure that when we do eventually leave the EU, our stay outside will be as short as possible.

This is exactly my position.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    nichomar said:

rcs1000 said:

Come on we used to stick tissues up so when you pushed button b you didn’t get your money back
    Yes. But what did you do with the phone?... :)

(Fnarr, fnarr )
  • Options

LOLWUT

Apologies - that anecdote went a lot funnier in my head.
  • Options

S

A better slogan for the Brexit coin would be “nostalgia for Empire and hatred of immigrants”.

If you are a swivel-eyed loon driven to madness by democracy delivering a decision you hate then yes...that would indeed be a better slogan.
    Delivered by a campaign of xenophobic lies. So a very apt slogan.
    Ah, the sweet salty tears of remainers.
    LOL. Mr Meeks makes me think of this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=929sn1qMCcM
    Are you still making up government policy positions this evening?
    How was I wrong about the policy? What I said is as I understand the policy, if its not can you please explain the difference?
    The government policy is not, as you claimed, simply to remove the backstop.
    On the subject of Ireland, which is what we were discussing, yes it is. If I have missed something please explain what?
    Government policy is to replace the backstop with a different means of meeting the EU’s concerns. However, it has no alternative to offer.
    Do you have a source for that?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

This was the argument used by those who excused 'milkshaking'.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Are wealthy Americans able to get their driving licences without standing in line?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

nichomar said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes. But what did you do with the phone?... :)

(Fnarr, fnarr )
    Well it was counter productive to vandalize it but in those days 69/70 you could by pass the Payment system by tapping out the number on the hand set buttons.
  • Options

LOLWUT

Apologies - that anecdote went a lot funnier in my head.
    No doubt, butt it was a disaster on the screen.
  • Options
    If they are entitled to it, why not take it?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited August 2019
    I estimate the Plaid Cymru vote is 2/3 Remain, 1/3 Leave.

So, I don't see any advantage for Plaid Cymru in this arrangement.

Incidentally, what did Plaid Cymru actually get in return for standing aside in Brecon & Radnorshire?

A gilt statue of Gardenwalker pouring himself a large single malt and contemplating the improvident Welsh ?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    It’s quite astonishing when you look at what’s happening.

A government is intending to bail out companies which could be in serious trouble because of a no deal .

And it’s the governments own actions which will lead those companies into that situation .

Most sane onlookers will think the country has gone truly mad and they’d be right .
  • Options

viewcode said:

What's "milkshaking"?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

A government is intending to bail out companies which could be in serious trouble because of a no deal .

And it’s the governments own actions which will lead those companies into that situation .

Most sane onlookers will think the country has gone truly mad and they’d be right .

No we voted for it so no matter what the cost or damage it has to be delivered, ‘‘tis only a small price for freedom!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

What's "milkshaking"?
    Throwing a milkshake on somebody
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nobody is saying he wasn't entitled. They are saying he's a hypocrite.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

What's "milkshaking"?
    Milkshaking is when you throw a milkshake at a leaver - it's allowed because obviously leavers are nasty racists
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

I don't see the hypocrisy. I do see someone with firsthand experience in what's broken.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    nico67 said:

What's to stop companies or individuals who are adversely affected by No Deal Brexit from suing the government for their losses, given such an outcome is emminently avoidable?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

Of course he isn't a hypocrite.

What is shows is that Dominic Cummings is completely incorruptible.

Despite the EU showering with gold, his aim remains true!
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

What's "milkshaking"?
    Milkshaking is when you throw a milkshake at a leaver - it's allowed because obviously leavers are nasty racists
    I learn something new every day
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

What's "milkshaking"?
    Throwing a milkshake on somebody
    Thank you
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

What's "milkshaking"?
    Among udder things.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,940
    From seems we need a study to see if there's any correlation between committing a mass-murder shooting and having had recent dealings with the DMV. It sounds the sort of experience that would tip even the mild-mannered over the edge ...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Most thick people are not nasty and most nasty people are not thick. From this it follows that there are few people who are both nasty and thick. I think this is true. I certainly haven't met many who I would classify as such. Maybe half a dozen in my entire life. Perhaps I am not representative, but if I am it's a comforting thought. Especially with such an important general election coming up.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709

viewcode said:

RobD said:

Cummings problem isn't hypocrisy. It's dishonesty.
  • Options

viewcode said:

RobD said:

I don't see the hypocrisy. I do see someone with firsthand experience in what's broken.
    You think these people won't have their hand-outs protected by this government after a No Deal Brexit?

Of course they will. And will the system still be 'broken' then?
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    Nick Cohen has got a bit ahead of himself. I am sure discussions are taking place. I am equally sure that they have not reached the stage he says they have. I expect something to happen, but not necessarily exactly as he depicts it.

But interesting nonetheless, not least for the reactions the piece provoked.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

viewcode said:

RobD said:

And stupidity, and incompetence.

Don't forget those, they're going to be very important.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

What's "milkshaking"?
    Are you seriously saying you missed this?

https://youtu.be/Hu9NVXtm6io

I think the guy who did it got a "diehard remainer" medal
  • Options

viewcode said:

RobD said:

You think these people won't have their hand-outs protected by this government after a No Deal Brexit?

So if subsidies are going to continue no matter what, where is the hypocrisy?
  • Options
    Hammond looks very tired in that photo.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,393
    Hurrah! They look great!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited August 2019

Incidentally, what did Plaid Cymru actually get in return for standing aside in Brecon & Radnorshire?

A gilt statue of Gardenwalker pouring himself a large single malt and contemplating the improvident Welsh ?

A chance of stopping Brexit and denying the democratic vote of Welsh voters to leave the EU in the 2016 referendum, rather ironic for a supposedly Welsh nationalist party supposed to be the voice of the Welsh people
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

A chance of stopping Brexit and denying the democratic vote of the Welsh people to leave the EU in the 2016 referendum, rather ironic for a supposedly Welsh nationalist party supposed to be the voice of the Welsh people
    Should your party be denying the democratic vote of the Scottish people to remain in the EU? Just asking.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    HYUFD said:

A chance of stopping Brexit and denying the democratic vote of Welsh voters to leave the EU in the 2016 referendum, rather ironic for a supposedly Welsh nationalist party supposed to be the voice of the Welsh people
    You gonna send the troops in to Wales as well?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Never trust a man with rubbish shoes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If the Lib Dems are planning to stand aside and let Nationalist parties have a free run in return, that's incredibly damaging to the LD brand in the long term. Oh well.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

A chance of stopping Brexit and denying the democratic vote of the Welsh people to leave the EU in the 2016 referendum, rather ironic for a supposedly Welsh nationalist party supposed to be the voice of the Welsh people
    Should your party be denying the democratic vote of the Scottish people to remain in the EU? Just asking.
    It was a UK wide ballot
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The sheep will take care of them.

The great mistake of Llewelyn ap Gruffudd was to hide his flocks rather than turn them on the English. Longshanks would have retreated in confusion...
  • Options

viewcode said:

RobD said:

Yes. I would say it is broken now and if it continues it will be broken then.

Same question to you. If that happens will it be broken then? And is it broken now?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No need, Welsh voters voted Leave exactly as English voters did.

In fact the Welsh vote of 52.53% to Leave was higher than the UK vote of 51.89% to Leave
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If the Lib Dems are planning to stand aside and let Nationalist parties have a free run in return, that's incredibly damaging to the LD brand in the long term. Oh well.
    They aren't in Scotland, they are in Wales though it seems
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

It isn't hypocritical in the least. We have had a Common Agricultural Policy. There has not been a choice between 'European' subsidies and 'British' ones. Now we're leaving, and subsidies will come from Westminster, should all remainer farmers refrain from taking them?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Vote Leave promised a deal .

There is no mandate for no deal . Leavers seem to avoid a simple fact . You can’t run away from the promises made .

If Vote Leave had said the UK will leave with no deal they wouldn’t have won . If Bozo is so confident people want a no deal put it to a vote .

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2019
    nico67 said:

Not really, it is perfectly rational. One of the few times it makes sense for the government to bail out companies and interfere in the market is when the government changes the law, to help companies transition from one legal system to another.

There's no moral hazard here.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No, as Scots voted to stay in the UK in 2014 knowing full well the PM had announced he would hold an EU referendum if he won a majority at the next general election a few years earlier
  • Options
    edited August 2019

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

What's "milkshaking"?
    Are you seriously saying you missed this?

[snip]

I think the guy who did it got a "diehard remainer" medal
    No. But I am seriously saying I'd forgotten it. I thought the OP was making a weird sexual reference.
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

RobD said:

I didn't use the word... but since you ask Cummings' hypocrisy is taking handouts from an institution you purport to despise.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

nichomar said:

Gabs2 said:

nichomar said:

A better slogan for the Brexit coin would be “nostalgia for Empire and hatred of immigrants”.

If you are a swivel-eyed loon driven to madness by democracy delivering a decision you hate then yes...that would indeed be a better slogan.
    Delivered by a campaign of xenophobic lies. So a very apt slogan.
    Where do these highly charged new posters come from, mostly on the leave side with a very antagonistic attitude who then fade after about two weeks?
    Presumably those with an antagonistic attitude get banned or shadow banned.
    I very much doubt it OGH actively encourages different view points and also defends many I wouldn’t. Very few get banned but although I have been around quietly under one or two guises (memory problems) since 2004 others will know better
    It's best to ignore posts designed to antagonise. Engaging with them only encourages them.
    Exactly and that's why most of those sort of posters disappear as quickly as they arrived.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

Nick Cohen has got a bit ahead of himself. I am sure discussions are taking place. I am equally sure that they have not reached the stage he says they have. I expect something to happen, but not necessarily exactly as he depicts it.

But interesting nonetheless, not least for the reactions the piece provoked.

I notice the Welsh Libdems have lost none of their low cunning.

On the data of the Brecon & Radnorshire by-election -- a good day to bury bad news -- the LibDem Minister for Education decided that "Wales should not participate" in the creative thinking option of Pisa 2021.

No further explanation was given. In fact, because of the day it was released, very few people even noticed it.

Pisa has been embarrassing for the Welsh Government as it has revealed that the Welsh education system is performing badly -- worse than the English one, worse than the Scottish one, worse than the N Irish one.

So, I am not entirely surprised that Dim Kirsty would like to opt out of as much as she can. And this was after Kirsty dropped any target for improvement in Welsh Pisa scores in science, reading & maths.

I note that Jane Dodds has typically been blaming the Tories for Welsh education failures, apparently unaware that education is devolved and under the control of the LibDems.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

There is no mandate for no deal . Leavers seem to avoid a simple fact . You can’t run away from the promises made .

If Vote Leave had said the UK will leave with no deal they wouldn’t have won . If Bozo is so confident people want a no deal put it to a vote .

A deal was agreed, a majority of leavers in Parliament backed it. I wish they hadn't, but they did.

Thankfully a majority of remainers blocked it. So they've taken it out of our hands now, we still leave but the deal was blocked by your side. Oh well, que sera sera.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

A Deal was put forward, MPs rejected it (Boris voted for it at MV3) so to respect the Leave vote No Deal it has to be.

If Remainers want another referendum they can try and get a LD and SNP and Labour and PC government at the next general election to do so, Tories certainly will not be giving them one if Boris is re elected
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, as Scots voted to stay in the UK in 2014 knowing full well the PM had announced he would hold an EU referendum if he won a majority at the next general election a few years earlier
    They won't be staying after a No Deal crash-out though will they? Johnson will go down in history as the PM who destroyed the UK.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Christ! A load of escapees from Guido's. Floater must have been out with his sandwich board again.

+1
  • Options

RobD said:

viewcode said:

RobD said:

I didn't use the word... but since you ask Cummings' hypocrisy is taking handouts from an institution you purport to despise.
    That's not hypocritical, unless he was saying people should boycott the EU which he is not.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And indeed, the hypocrisy of this is telling.

Plaid Cymru want an independent Wales, but the LibDems are happy to make Remain Alliances.

The SNP want an independent Scotland, but a Remain Alliance with the SNP is a no go.
  • Options
    Given we appear to be heading towards a cliff-edge Brexit, could one of the PB No Deal supporters produce a thread header that explains how it's all going to pan out and why we Remainer snowflakes need not worry?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They won't be staying after a No Deal crash-out though will they? Johnson will go down in history as the PM who destroyed the UK.
    Of course they will. Brexit makes it harder to leave the UK not easier. 'Save the Union' was a last remainer ploy to stop Brexit.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Out of the EU and rid of the Scots? Truly a blessed day if England can be free. Will you take the Welsh with you?

Actually I don't agree, I think a No Deal makes Scottish Independence less likely not more likely. Scots may not be happy, but it will make independence harder.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Out of the EU and rid of the Scots? Truly a blessed day if England can be free. Will you take the Welsh with you?

Actually I don't agree, I think a No Deal makes Scottish Independence less likely not more likely. Scots may not be happy, but it will make independence harder.
    How does Brexit make Scottish independence harder?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Even on the latest Ashcroft poll with No Deal looming only 46% of Scots back independence, including Don't Knows, only 1% more than Yes got in 2014
  • Options

nico67 said:

Not really, it is perfectly rational. One of the few times it makes sense for the government to bail out companies and interfere in the market is when the government changes the law, to help companies transition from one legal system to another.

Sorry this is guff . You’re desperately trying to make this whole no deal project sound sane. And it’s not just about transitioning from one legal system to the other . You’re tearing up your trade with your biggest market and effectively making certain sectors unviable long term without government help . And exactly how long will the government be bailing out certain sectors . Were company bailouts on the side of a bus ?

The government has become unhinged and needs to be removed . They are a danger to the country and the prosperity of the nation .

They are willing to ignore parliament and all this Vote Leave talk of sovereignty is a big sham .

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And indeed, the hypocrisy of this is telling.

Plaid Cymru want an independent Wales, but the LibDems are happy to make Remain Alliances.

The SNP want an independent Scotland, but a Remain Alliance with the SNP is a no go.
    Don't disagree
  • Options

Given we appear to be heading towards a cliff-edge Brexit, could one of the PB No Deal supporters produce a thread header that explains how it's all going to pan out and why we Remainer snowflakes need not worry?

"Remainer snowflakes" LOL - all you do is dish out abuse to anyone who dares think the 2016 referendum result should be implemented.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

My takes on these subsidies.

They are short term. If companies get the subsidies, and need them, they only serve to keep the flag flying for just long enough for the government to get through an election without too many embarrassing headlines.

The second more interesting point is that if these subsidies are disallowed by EU rules on state aid that the UK won't be following as part of No Deal, this is trade war stuff. The EU absolutely will slap countervailing tariffs on UK goods, which they are allowed to do under WTO rules. In a free-for-all the more powerful operator wins. It's insufficiently understood that agreement is protection. If you accept the rules, you are protected by them as the only point of discussion is whether you are following them.
  • Options

viewcode said:

RobD said:

I understood that the Government had agreed to replace EU subsidies to farmers when we Brexit. Not such a big sacrifice if that is true is it?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Sorry this is guff . You’re desperately trying to make this whole no deal project sound sane. And it’s not just about transitioning from one legal system to the other . You’re tearing up your trade with your biggest market and effectively making certain sectors unviable long term without government help . And exactly how long will the government be bailing out certain sectors . Were company bailouts on the side of a bus ?

The government has become unhinged and needs to be removed . They are a danger to the country and the prosperity of the nation .

They are willing to ignore parliament and all this Vote Leave talk of sovereignty is a big sham .

why are we tearing up trade?
    Which sectors will not be viable in the future?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

viewcode said:

RobD said:

And stupidity, and incompetence.

Don't forget those, they're going to be very important.
    He thinks the ends justify the means, and is to arrogant to consider others views of what the ends should be.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    jayfdee said:

Well my vote at a possible imminent GE would be for whoever has the best chance of avoiding Brexit. After this is achieved, if indeed it can be, then normal service will be resumed, and then I will choose whoever best represents my views.
    I am a bit worried I will be out of the UK from mid October to mid November,getting my annual adrenaline fix in the the Himalaya with very little internet or mobile, hope I can get back to the UK OK.

organise a proxy vote before you go
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Even on the latest Ashcroft poll with No Deal looming only 46% of Scots back independence, including Don't Knows, only 1% more than Yes got in 2014
    I believe you're gambling that No Deal exit will be relatively pain-free...

I hope for the country's state you're right; sadly I feel there's a 90% chance you're wrong.
  • Options

RobD said:

viewcode said:

RobD said:

It was not the EU's money, it was our money, redistributed back to us. To suggest Cummings should have refused that because of his political views is absurd.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Do you believe Brexit makes trade between the EU and the UK harder?

Do you think Scotland wants to make trade between Scotland and England harder?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

No what you wrote is guff. Who said anything about long-term help? The subsidies are surely short-term to help during a transition, long-term there should be no subsidies.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Do you believe Brexit makes trade between the EU and the UK harder?

Do you think Scotland wants to make trade between Scotland and England harder?
    Yes, of course, to the first.

Regarding the second, if the last few years have taught us anything it is that emotion beats economic logic when it comes to asking the population for a view.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,258
    A positive development, and one that will put the remainers in Labour on the spot, particularly the unhappy ones.

The lead doesn’t say, but it appears some at least of the former TIGs are also involved in this initiative - indeed Heidi helped set it up. It provides an opportunity for them to stand as independents but under this common banner - provided of course that the seat details can be squared with the LibDems.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I believe you're gambling that No Deal exit will be relatively pain-free...

I hope for the country's state you're right; sadly I feel there's a 90% chance you're wrong.
    Scottish Independence would not be pain free, especially with No Deal with the EU and no FTA with rUK, while 44% of UK exports go to the EU an even higher 67% of Scottish exports go to the rest of the UK
  • Options
    I believe if there's another independence referendum, independence will win. Voters have to choose from the options in front of them and no-one very credible in Scotland will argue the case for the Union next time.

Which I regret as I think working together for the common wealth is a good thing, just as it is with the European Union.

Anyone who wants to keep the Union has to hope the referendum never gets called. It's a shoogly peg.
This discussion has been closed.