Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At least ComRes didn’t bring Nelson Mandela into its controver

Comments

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,180
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

OMG

where are you watching this?
    Here. He's unconscious. He might be dying. NSFKids.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1OwxWkNdNapxQ
    Thanks found it shocking. Expect movement by PRC soon.
  • @TOPPING RAF so not a Captain.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,924
    OllyT said:

Cyclefree said:

I’ll check in later to review the (doubtless lengthy) list of competition-inhibiting regulations @Philip_Thompson will have provided.

Laters!

I half suspect that Johnson wants to be stopped, I think it is going to be fascinating to see what he does if he isn't.
    It does seem that a lot of Boris's plans are based on an us versus them electoral campaign. But if them don't provide the ammo it will be interesting to see how he reacts as late October comes around and he still owns No Deal.
  • Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

OMG

That's terrible optics for the protesters. Paramedics literally having to force their way out with a seriously injured casualty can only lose support-and increase the likely hood of a brutal crackdown by the Chinese authorities.
  • PloppikinsPloppikins Posts: 126
    Has this poll received a lot of attention here because the accompanying VI shows the Lib Dem surge to be more of a dirge (groan)...
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

OMG

That's terrible optics for the protesters. Paramedics literally having to force their way out with a seriously injured casualty can only lose support-and increase the likely hood of a brutal crackdown by the Chinese authorities.
    Amazing lack of police. Feels VERY ominous.
  • He looked fine in the ambulance. More press than protesters now.
    edited August 2019

@TOPPING RAF so not a Captain.

Thx

He looked fine in the ambulance. More press than protesters now.

These protestors are being very dim. Beating up a guy - probably a cop - on live streamed TV, and doing it without face-masks?

They will be identified tomorrow, quickly tried, and they will go to jail for years. Beijing will demand brutal judicial severity.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,190

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

We have that already. Just our coalitions are hidden under the veil of the Labour and the Conservative Party. Our system is dishonest.

Your arguments lends itself to the election of a government which I agree with however we also elect a legislature and it is proper for that legislature to properly reflect the views of the country. FPTP does not do that.

Our coalitions within the Labour and Conservative Parties are known about prior to the election, not after it. Big difference.
    Lol @ “known prior”. Labour voters have no idea what their vote might lead to. Neither did voters for Mrs May. Bozo’s position appears clearer, but time will tell. Nevertheless we got Bozo because of the people who voted for Mrs May, not for Bozo.
    Everyone who voted for May knew Boris was in her party. It's not like they voted May and got Farage which can happen in Europe.
    Pitiful.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,044
    eek said:

It does seem that a lot of Boris's plans are based on an us versus them electoral campaign. But if them don't provide the ammo it will be interesting to see how he reacts as late October comes around and he still owns No Deal.

It is fascinating. I personally think he's bluffing and wants neither No Deal nor a snap election. I see him at the crunch agreeing to an extension for fresh talks with the EU. Then he'll try and get a deal through. After that, succeed or fail, an election in 2020.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,127
    Scott_P said:
    Johnson needs to be careful not to get too far up Trump's ass.

The Orange Racist may be gone in just over a year.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,930
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

The police have to go in now and save this guy at the airport.

The whole world is watching. Incredible.

Next time Scottish Nats and Sturgeon complain about being ignored by Westminster I hope Boris reminds them of what the likes of Xi and Rajoy have done to internal dissenters and separatists and how lucky they are and were to get indyref 2014
    And you as a diehard remainer would be first up against the wall, sunshine.
    No, as I respect democracy
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,960
    Mr. Byronic, aye. Very dim. No masks. More violent than usual.

Hmm. Tipping point in psychology, or some 'new' demonstrators giving a casus belli?
    edited August 2019

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

OMG

As opposed to police firing rubber bullets at close range at protestors yesterday, imagine if police did that in Glasgow at Yes campaigners?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/hong-kong-protests-police-rubber-bullets-demonstration-violence-a9054366.html

Mr. Byronic, aye. Very dim. No masks. More violent than usual.

Hmm. Tipping point in psychology, or some 'new' demonstrators giving a casus belli?

Yes, could be either. The madness of crowds, OR a couple of infiltrators whipping up mindless violence, justifying Tiananmen 2.0?

Tomorrow could be nasty.
  • Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I see that @Philip_Thompson thinks it inappropriate to ask what regulations he would like to remove. I am suspicious of claims of general principle unaccompanied by any examples. It's like people claiming that the government could spend less by cutting waste but are wholly unable to identify any examples of this waste.

No it is not like saying we should cut waste. It is like saying we should elect politicians who are responsible for the budget.

The public can elect a government then to cut spending or raise spending as we vote. Do you see the difference @Cyclefree ?
    I have given you a specific example re GM foods where consumers' rights will be worse regardless of their ability to vote for this or that politician.

My question still is: what regulations do you think are making us uncompetitive because we are in the EU and which you want to get rid of once we leave? Surely you have 1 or 2 examples.
    The question of GM I agree with. I oppose any agreement that forbids labelling, information should be available to the public.

It is a distraction to argue specific regulations rather than the principles.
  • HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

OMG

As opposed to police firing rubber bullets at close range at protestors yesterday, imagine if police did that in Glasgow at Yes campaigners?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/hong-kong-protests-police-rubber-bullets-demonstration-violence-a9054366.html
    You can obviously imagine that. I don't have the same warped imagination as you!
    Edmund Burke needs to be taught in schools and colleges urgently.

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1161246052638441477
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Mr. Gate, an elected dictatorship?

Disliking FPTP is one thing, pretending it isn't democracy is rather overegging the cake.

Mr. Punter, depends if you like your devaluation with or without murderous lunacy.

I’m not pretending it isn’t a form of democracy, hence elected dictatorship. Its a well known phrase in political science.

As we don’t have separation of powers, a party can be given a majority on circa 30% of the vote and then essentially have unchecked power over anything for the next 5 years. This is a fact. Parliament is sovereign.
    Yes, it is a good system with accountability. If you don't like what the party does [and no party has ever got a majority on 30%] then you can vote differently at the next election. Votes actually matter.
    Most votes don’t mean diddley squat
    When we have the inevitable public inquiry into the whole Brexit disaster, I think the remit should include looking at the appalling level of public understanding of the British system of democracy.

• Edmund Burke needs to be taught in schools and colleges urgently.

I was taught that they're to do both in Modern Studies, no need for Burke; although it was a comprehensive.
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Next time Scottish Nats and Sturgeon complain about being ignored by Westminster I hope Boris reminds them of what the likes of Xi and Rajoy have done to internal dissenters and separatists and how lucky they are and were to get indyref 2014
    We are not talking about democracy here we are talking about the regime getting rid of its enemies and as a diehard remainer you are an enemy of this current regime.
  • nichomar said:

Disliking FPTP is one thing, pretending it isn't democracy is rather overegging the cake.

Mr. Punter, depends if you like your devaluation with or without murderous lunacy.

I’m not pretending it isn’t a form of democracy, hence elected dictatorship. Its a well known phrase in political science.

As we don’t have separation of powers, a party can be given a majority on circa 30% of the vote and then essentially have unchecked power over anything for the next 5 years. This is a fact. Parliament is sovereign.
    Yes, it is a good system with accountability. If you don't like what the party does [and no party has ever got a majority on 30%] then you can vote differently at the next election. Votes actually matter.
    Yes it does.
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

We are not talking about democracy here we are talking about the regime getting rid of its enemies and as a diehard remainer you are an enemy of this current regime.
    Half the Cabinet voted Remain but they back Boris to deliver Brexit Deal or No Deal like me and respect the Leave vote
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,220
    Hmmm.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeffrey-epstein-death-shrieking-heard-jail-cell-morning-he-died-metropolitan-correctional-center/
    On the morning of Jeffrey Epstein's death there was shouting and shrieking from his jail cell, a source familiar with the situation told CBS News. Corrections officers attempted to revive him while saying "breathe, Epstein, breathe."

Congress is the latest to start investigating Epstein's apparent suicide over the weekend, with new reports raising questions about the federal jail where he was being held. One of Epstein's guards at the Metropolitan Correctional Center on the night he died was reportedly not a regular corrections officer....
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    Nigelb said:

Hmmm.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeffrey-epstein-death-shrieking-heard-jail-cell-morning-he-died-metropolitan-correctional-center/
    On the morning of Jeffrey Epstein's death there was shouting and shrieking from his jail cell, a source familiar with the situation told CBS News. Corrections officers attempted to revive him while saying "breathe, Epstein, breathe."

Congress is the latest to start investigating Epstein's apparent suicide over the weekend, with new reports raising questions about the federal jail where he was being held. One of Epstein's guards at the Metropolitan Correctional Center on the night he died was reportedly not a regular corrections officer....

I’m not usually one for conspiracy theories, but this one.... :o

I was taught that they're to do both in Modern Studies, no need for Burke; although it was a comprehensive.
    Though one of those things requires them to be mind readers on a grand scale. Which is a bit silly.

• eek said:

OllyT said:

Cyclefree said:

I’ll check in later to review the (doubtless lengthy) list of competition-inhibiting regulations @Philip_Thompson will have provided.

Laters!

I half suspect that Johnson wants to be stopped, I think it is going to be fascinating to see what he does if he isn't.
    It's all a bit phoney war at the moment, isn't it? The government is making determined statements, telling us that it will spend lots of money, making plans. But what happens once those plans become public- that will have to happen before the big day, won't it? The current relative popularity of No Deal might last, but then again, it might not.

When is the Point of No Return for an October 31, no matter what Brexit? The later it is, the more chance the PM has for an almighty reverse ferret, blaming Gove and Cummings for not being able to come up with a secure plan for November and onwards.
    edited August 2019

nichomar said:

Yes it does.
    How does a labour voter in Esher or a Tory in bootle have any impact on the outcome your failing to see that your desire to ‘take back control’ is meaningless to the vast majority of voters.
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

Hmmm.

It's not even a conspiracy. He was clearly murdered.

It’s quite simple

1 in the best interests of the nation
    2 in the best INTERESTS of their constituents
    3 and the only if the above are fulfilled to represent the views of their constituents

When we have the inevitable public inquiry into the whole Brexit disaster, I think the remit should include looking at the appalling level of public understanding of the British system of democracy.

As opposed to the appalling refusal of most MPs to respect the largest vote in post War history no surprise we get results like this poll
  • surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Yes it does.
    How does a labour voter in Esher or a Tory in bootle have any impact on the outcome your failing to see that your desire to ‘take back control’ is meaningless to the vast majority of voters.
    The Labour voter in Esher, like in Surbiton, will vote Liberal Democrat and mumbling the words, "Bollocks to Brexit" as he puts his cross on the ballot paper.
    HYUFD said:

As opposed to the appalling refusal of most MPs to respect the largest vote in post War history no surprise we get results like this poll
    I look forward to you attempting to implement Labour manifesto policies after Labour wins a general election.
  • nichomar said:

It’s quite simple

3 and the only if the above are fulfilled to represent the views of their constituents
    Where did you learn that ?
  • MangoMango Posts: 1,013

I view Westminster as a better form of democracy by ensuring the most popular MP in each constituency is the only one elected. If you want to win the election, become more popular - this can lead to huge wipeouts as we saw in Scotland in 2015.

Wrong, as usual.

Sneaking a 30% plurality does not mean "most popular". Unless you are arguing for AV...

And as for safe seats, well, anyone who supports such a system is neither a libertarian nor a democrat.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,565

nichomar said:

Yes it does.
    100 conservatives of various flavours stand for election and 1 socialist. There are 102 electors. The 100 conservatives and 2 socialist. The socialist gets elected on 2 votes.

I know it is an extreme example, but that is what we are doing.

Ok another one: Party A has 49% of the vote split evenly across the country. Party B and C have 25.5% split evenly across exactly half of the country each. Party B and C therefore win all of the seats and party A wins none.

Again extreme but it demonstrates the bizarre system we operate under.

HYUFD said:

I look forward to you attempting to implement Labour manifesto policies after Labour wins a general election.
    If Labour wins fair enough, it can implement its manifesto even if I will oppose it at the next general election the result of the last one must be delivered
    Does anyone know why I can't get comments using Firefox. It has been on and off for weeks now. Not working at all today

nichomar said:

It’s quite simple

Google Erskin May obligations of MPs but if you actually mean where, then only because I was interested I very much doubt it was at school.

Scott_P said:

Fear not. BJ will be gone well before then.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I see that @Philip_Thompson thinks it inappropriate to ask what regulations he would like to remove. I am suspicious of claims of general principle unaccompanied by any examples. It's like people claiming that the government could spend less by cutting waste but are wholly unable to identify any examples of this waste.

No it is not like saying we should cut waste. It is like saying we should elect politicians who are responsible for the budget.

The public can elect a government then to cut spending or raise spending as we vote. Do you see the difference @Cyclefree ?
    I have given you a specific example re GM foods where consumers' rights will be worse regardless of their ability to vote for this or that politician.

My question still is: what regulations do you think are making us uncompetitive because we are in the EU and which you want to get rid of once we leave? Surely you have 1 or 2 examples.
    The question of GM I agree with. I oppose any agreement that forbids labelling, information should be available to the public.

Well, however much you or I may oppose GM foods they will get forced on us regardless of our votes. We'll be taking back control from the EU where we have some say and giving it to the US where we will have none.

Specific examples are not distractions. They illuminate the principles. We have a say in the EU, imperfect as it is. We have no say outside it. The trajectory is wrong.

Anyway must be off for a bit. Thanks for the chat.
    nichomar said:

In an atomic and deeply unhelpful sense every person's vote is always utterly meaningless. Unless the margin in your seat is 1 (vanishingly unlikely) the practical outcome of the election is not affected one iota by your participation in the democratic process.

HYUFD said:

It wasn’t the largest vote in post war history the 1992 election was, get your facts right or present them better
  • nichomar said:

nichomar said:

It’s quite simple

Google Erskin May obligations of MPs but if you actually mean where, then only because I was interested I very much doubt it was at school.
    apparently it's illegal to teach politics to secondary school pupils - that's why Scotland calls their course "Modern Studies".

What about the party manifesto they were elected on? Is this not worth anything according to Erskin May?
    kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

In an atomic and deeply unhelpful sense every person's vote is always utterly meaningless. Unless the margin in your seat is 1 (vanishingly unlikely) the practical outcome of the election is not affected one iota by your participation in the democratic process.
    You're just messing with us now aren't you?
  • nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

It wasn’t the largest vote in post war history the 1992 election was, get your facts right or present them better
    It was the largest number of votes cast for any single ballot option.

Leave 2016 > Tory 1992.
  • Mango said:

I view Westminster as a better form of democracy by ensuring the most popular MP in each constituency is the only one elected. If you want to win the election, become more popular - this can lead to huge wipeouts as we saw in Scotland in 2015.

Wrong, as usual.

Sneaking a 30% plurality does not mean "most popular". Unless you are arguing for AV...

And as for safe seats, well, anyone who supports such a system is neither a libertarian nor a democrat.
    Unless you have another definition for most, most votes is most popular.

I don't support a system of safe seats. No seat is safe any seat can change hands.
  • kjh said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

No. I was taught this in my OU course on politics - it's irrational to vote because of this reason.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,893

Scott_P said:

Fear not. BJ will be gone well before then.
    One can but hope!
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

No he certainly doesn't see himself as Thatcher. Churchill is the model. Read his book on WSC - which, despite the snotty reviews, is very readable like the rest of the Johnson corpus. Cometh the hour, cometh the man, etc.

Churchill wasn't a Conservative or a Tory - he was a Liberal Unionist - which might surprise some of the professed Tories. I find that comparison curious given the degree to which we were told by @HYUFD and others how a No Deal Brexit would endanger the Union before Johnson became Prime Minister.

If a No Deal Brexit is such a high risk to the Union, why is Johnson contemplating it when May clearly couldn't? May was in fact the Unionist - Johnson is much more about the preservation of himself and the Conservative Party (in that order) than the preservation of the Union.
    Only 46% of Scots back independence in the latest Ashcroft poll including Don't Knows even with No Deal looming, only 1% more than voted Yes in 2014
    By the same token only 43% support staying in the Union, a massive 12% below those who voted NO in 2014.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,927

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

No. I was taught this in my OU course on politics - it's irrational to vote because of this reason.
    The random ballot is by far and away the best system in ensuring that all votes count and all opinions are (eventually) represented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_ballot

Mango said:

Wrong, as usual.

I don't support a system of safe seats. No seat is safe any seat can change hands.
    That’s deluded stupidity
  • Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, however much you or I may oppose GM foods they will get forced on us regardless of our votes. We'll be taking back control from the EU where we have some say and giving it to the US where we will have none.

Specific examples are not distractions. They illuminate the principles. We have a say in the EU, imperfect as it is. We have no say outside it. The trajectory is wrong.

Anyway must be off for a bit. Thanks for the chat.
    For the record I don't oppose GM foods I oppose barriers to labelling.

We have a say outside the EU. The only reason there will be any barriers is if we agree them, and we can end them whenever we want. In the EU those barriers could be forced upon us without our say and we couldn't reverse them.
  • nichomar said:

Mango said:

Wrong, as usual.

That’s deluded stupidity
    Can tell you have no argument so just saying that.

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

It’s quite simple

apparently it's illegal to teach politics to secondary school pupils - that's why Scotland calls their course "Modern Studies".

What about the party manifesto they were elected on? Is this not worth anything according to Erskin May?
    It’s perfectly logical to elect members of parliament to take on the responsibility of acting in the best interests of their constituents rather than represent their views. We expect them to spend more than a nano second considering the implications of what the are voting unlike the voting public.

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

I was joking
  • kjh said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

I was joking
    Sorry, (did you study the same course?)(joke)
  • nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

It’s quite simple

It’s perfectly logical to elect members of parliament to take on the responsibility of acting in the best interests of their constituents rather than represent their views. We expect them to spend more than a nano second considering the implications of what the are voting unlike the voting public.
    That wasn't my question - what role do the party manifestos play in Erskine May's written rules
    kjh said:

:smile:

A bit but not totally.

The point is that the 2 statements "My vote doesn't count" and "All votes count the same" can be reconciled.

nichomar said:

Mango said:

Wrong, as usual.

That’s deluded stupidity
    If we had multi member constituencies elected by STV then every vote counts under FPTP most votes against the obvious donkey wearing the right color rosette mean didley squat.
    Byronic said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

Hmmm.

Perhaps, but there are different kinds of murder in US jails:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/thirty-two-stories-jeffrey-epstein-prison-death/596029/
  • Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    If I’ve understood the discussion today, which has been interesting:

- vote in an election but not for the FPTP winner = democracy OK
    - my MP votes in Parliament against a Bill that is nonetheless passed = democracy OK
    - my Government votes against an EU measure that passes on QMV = democracy NOT OK

So participating but losing is OK in the first two cases, it’s democracy in action, but not the third even though the “rules” were agreed to by my democratically elected Government.

kjh said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

I was joking
    No but I have to say when it came to the LD leadership election I didn't know who to vote for. I decided on the flimsiest of reasons and then fretted about it, before I told myself to get a grip and that it was exceedingly unlikely that my vote was going to make any difference whatsoever.
    Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

Hmmm.

Perhaps, but there are different kinds of murder in US jails:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/thirty-two-stories-jeffrey-epstein-prison-death/596029/
    Check this.

"that seemed legit"

https://twitter.com/jdpoc/status/1161270313583292417?s=20
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

Who decides what is rational?As long as a voter has engaged in some form of reasoning or calculation, the decision as to how to vote is surely rational..
  • nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Mango said:

Wrong, as usual.

That’s deluded stupidity
    If we had multi member constituencies elected by STV then every vote counts under FPTP most votes against the obvious donkey wearing the right color rosette mean didley squat.
    Every vote counts in FPTP. The right colour only matters if it's the choice of most individuals within that constituency and they can change their mind. No seat is safe from that.

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

It’s quite simple

That wasn't my question - what role do the party manifestos play in Erskine May's written rules
    An MP once elected represents all of his/her constituents therefore the manifesto is irrelevant unless you get to point three
  • justin124 said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

Who decides what is rational?As long as a voter has engaged in some form of reasoning or calculation, the decision as to how to vote is surely rational..
    Sorry, voting is definitely in the irrational column unfortunately because of the numbers involved.

Not sure who gets to decide these matters - perhaps there's some sort of committee?

You may have found yet another fatal flaw of -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_choice_theory

There's no such thing as a safe seat in this country, just ask Michael Portillo, not like PR where sitting on top of your parties list means you are virtually guaranteed a seat whether your party does well or badly.

Specialist subject: total bollocks.

Party lists: also bollocks.
  • Rexel56 said:

- my MP votes in Parliament against a Bill that is nonetheless passed = democracy OK
    - my Government votes against an EU measure that passes on QMV = democracy NOT OK

So participating but losing is OK in the first two cases, it’s democracy in action, but not the third even though the “rules” were agreed to by my democratically elected Government.

No you have it wrong. Yes the third is democracy but it is not democracy of our voters. The question isn't whether it is democratic or not, it is whether we want our voters to decide or not.

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Mango said:

Wrong, as usual.

That’s deluded stupidity
    Every vote counts in FPTP. The right colour only matters if it's the choice of most individuals within that constituency and they can change their mind. No seat is safe from that.
    I’m sorry but that is totally delusional FPTP is an abomination of a voting system which facilitates the election of anyone representing the right party and ignoring those who opposed them.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Byronic said:

"that seemed legit"

Faked, apparently.

• JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited August 2019
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

It’s quite simple

An MP once elected represents all of his/her constituents therefore the manifesto is irrelevant unless you get to point three
    I guess May wasn't around for the manifesto commitments going through the lords unchallenged convention
  • Mango said:

There's no such thing as a safe seat in this country, just ask Michael Portillo, not like PR where sitting on top of your parties list means you are virtually guaranteed a seat whether your party does well or badly.

Absolutely the idea of safe seats is total bollocks. There are safer seats but only because the voters vote that way - and they are entitled to vote differently if they choose to do so.
    kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

I was joking
    No but I have to say when it came to the LD leadership election I didn't know who to vote for. I decided on the flimsiest of reasons and then fretted about it, before I told myself to get a grip and that it was exceedingly unlikely that my vote was going to make any difference whatsoever.

Oddly enough I actually meant most votes mean diddley squat in the lib dem leadership I voted for Davey only because we could move on to Swinson at a later date.
    IanB2 said:

You can post as much of your partisan sophistry as you like. Fact remains that I fully expect to die without a single vote of mine at any General Election having contributed toward the election of a sympathetic representative, despite my views being supported by anything up to a quarter of the electors each time.

Maybe move to Richmond upon Thames?
    Andrew said:

Byronic said:

"that seemed legit"

Faked, apparently.

lol. Yes, you're right. Brilliant bit of photoshopping.

https://twitter.com/justin_halpern/status/1161125017649762304?s=20

If I am believing obvious internet spoofs, it is time I got off the Net. Later.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    I think we should get a vote we have to use ourselves and another 5 we can either use or sell on the open market. The state should issue another set of votes equal to the ones issued to the public which are auctioned off to the highest bidder.

It will be a corrupt system, but not much worse than currently. And at least ordinary voters and the public purse share in the proceeds.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,282
    Byronic said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

Hmmm.

It is a conspiracy. And in line with many other conspiracy theories, it is probably true.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Does Greta Thunberg have any idea just how much carbon is released in the making of that yacht she's travelling to America on?

Rexel56 said:

No you have it wrong. Yes the third is democracy but it is not democracy of our voters. The question isn't whether it is democratic or not, it is whether we want our voters to decide or not.
    Ah, I see. For democracy on a national level, it’s OK because all voters are citizens of the nation but for democracy on a EU level it’s NOT OK because all voters are citizens of member nations of the EU.
    Mango said:

Party lists are as bad as FPTP in a multi member constituency elected under STV I can vote for different parties in order if I prefer the individual over the party slate but you know all this so I’ll give up and leave it to those who when asked important questions about which regulations they want scrapped or which EU imposed laws they don’t like can have the space to answer.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,282
    Regarding the Comres poll, no doubt the methodology was flawed, but as soon as I read that there was an outcry, I knew it was a pro-Brexit poll.

Someone also posted another poll on prorogation lower down the last thread, with a Tweet claiming it was an unbiased question, but it wasn't. For one thing, Conservative politicians were clearly mentioned, and that was a red (blue?) rag to a bull.
    nichomar said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

I was joking

Oddly enough I actually meant most votes mean diddley squat in the lib dem leadership I voted for Davey only because we could move on to Swinson at a later date.
    Full stop missing after squat before in M
  • Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

We have that already. Just our coalitions are hidden under the veil of the Labour and the Conservative Party. Our system is dishonest.

Your arguments lends itself to the election of a government which I agree with however we also elect a legislature and it is proper for that legislature to properly reflect the views of the country. FPTP does not do that.

Our coalitions within the Labour and Conservative Parties are known about prior to the election, not after it. Big difference.
    Lol @ “known prior”. Labour voters have no idea what their vote might lead to. Neither did voters for Mrs May. Bozo’s position appears clearer, but time will tell. Nevertheless we got Bozo because of the people who voted for Mrs May, not for Bozo.
    Everyone who voted for May knew Boris was in her party. It's not like they voted May and got Farage which can happen in Europe.
    Pitiful.
    It is not really. This has always been the sceptics' strongest argument. The appointment of Ursula von Leyen as European Commission President was astonishingly undemocratic.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,887

Polling as a weapon *good* to see Yougov getting in on the act now..
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,887
    *. good/not good according to taste..
    Gabs2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pitiful.
    It is not really. This has always been the sceptics' strongest argument. The appointment of Ursula von Leyen as European Commission President was astonishingly undemocratic.
    Why do you say it was astonishingly undemocratic? What reforms do you think would answer the sceptics’ concerns?
    Pulpstar said:

Polling as a weapon *good* to see Yougov getting in on the act now..
    My concern on that poll is the 7% of MPs who didn't know the answer unless f*** off was taken as Don't know...
  • Rexel56 said:

Gabs2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pitiful.
    Why do you say it was astonishingly undemocratic? What reforms do you think would answer the sceptics’ concerns?
    Well Ursula could have been a candidate for European Commission President at the Euro elections for a start.

This thread is boring me now though.

Later gang
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Anyway @Philip_Thompson please reply to @Cyclefree as I’m very curious to know what regulations you feel are making us uncompetitive.

MiFID II
    MiFID II is not making us uncompetitive. Dear god please don't let it be that we have a MiFID II discussion here.
    Completely agree. But MiFID has undoubtedly made London slightly less competitive versus US and Asian centres. And that was the question that was asked....
    I think the US is moving towards EU-type regulations before too long. And as it sounds you are aware, there's no financial services regulation that the UK isn't prepared to a) abide by in the first place; and b) gold plate up its wazoo.
    The FCA has been complicit in this, I agree. But a lot of regulation emanates from the EU.

And that is the question I was answering....
    The specific question I asked you was whether you wanted to get rid of the MiFiD provisions requiring firms to provide transaction and order information to regulators so that they can monitor for market abuse/insider trading.

And your answer is....?
    That’s an unusually stupid question from you Cyclefree

I don’t want to abolish to prohibition on murder in the UK. That doesn’t mean I believe every jot and tittle of U.K. law is perfect
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Anyway @Philip_Thompson please reply to @Cyclefree as I’m very curious to know what regulations you feel are making us uncompetitive.

MiFID II
    MiFID II is not making us uncompetitive. Dear god please don't let it be that we have a MiFID II discussion here.
    Completely agree. But MiFID has undoubtedly made London slightly less competitive versus US and Asian centres. And that was the question that was asked....
    I think the US is moving towards EU-type regulations before too long. And as it sounds you are aware, there's no financial services regulation that the UK isn't prepared to a) abide by in the first place; and b) gold plate up its wazoo.
    The FCA has been complicit in this, I agree. But a lot of regulation emanates from the EU.

And that is the question I was answering....
    Fair enough. It is their market though and we are the ones that want to participate. Which plays in to @rcs1000's point. If we want to trade Deutsche Bank then we need to follow them rules.
    Deutsche Bank benefits from access to the U.K. capital markets. If the EU wishes to raise its cost of capital then that’s up to it

Besides I’m sure we can trade Swiss companies again
  • Sat in Dublin airport for my flight home. Interesting trip around Irish grocery retailers - plenty of opportunities I can see for new custom. Then a meeting with a large supermarket buyer where we already supply a couple of products. She is excited about the market and the potential for growth.

But - and its a big but - with Brexit looming large in the window her business is prioritising domestic producers due to the absolute uncertainty of how things will work logistically post "hardest of hard Brexits" and what it will cost in extra costs and tariffs.

Which means that for any UK producers wanting to expand into our closest export market, the door is closed. By us. Whilst simultaneously saying "there is no door" and "don't worry Varadkar is an idiot who will cave in.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

In fairness, Edmund Burke lost the Bristol election too.
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    When are we getting our no deal leaflets?
    edited August 2019

Sat in Dublin airport for my flight home. Interesting trip around Irish grocery retailers - plenty of opportunities I can see for new custom. Then a meeting with a large supermarket buyer where we already supply a couple of products. She is excited about the market and the potential for growth.

But - and its a big but - with Brexit looming large in the window her business is prioritising domestic producers due to the absolute uncertainty of how things will work logistically post "hardest of hard Brexits" and what it will cost in extra costs and tariffs.

Which means that for any UK producers wanting to expand into our closest export market, the door is closed. By us. Whilst simultaneously saying "there is no door" and "don't worry Varadkar is an idiot who will cave in.

A senior city IT director of my acquaintance was telling me that the consultancy firms are offering free graduates as they don't have anywhere to place them.

Oh and the Indian consultancies are sending people back home (as in terminate the house rental and sell your car) as no-one is starting IT projects unless absolutely essential
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    eek said:

Sat in Dublin airport for my flight home. Interesting trip around Irish grocery retailers - plenty of opportunities I can see for new custom. Then a meeting with a large supermarket buyer where we already supply a couple of products. She is excited about the market and the potential for growth.

A senior city IT director of my acquaintance was telling me that the consultancy firms are offering free graduates as they don't have anywhere to place them.

Oh and the Indian consultancies are sending people back home (as in terminate the house rental and sell your car) as no-one is starting IT projects unless absolutely essential
    Another proof point that business has been give the nod that Boris is serious. Whereas with May, Hammond and Clarke were given them the nod she would always extend.
  • eek said:

Wazzocks like Mr Thompson boffing off about abstracts won't understand this, but crash Brexit - even the threat of it - is like a bomb going off in the economy. Right now business is backing away slowly not quite believing it will come to this and wondering how they can protect themselves from the worst of the damage to come.

This discussion has been closed.