Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The firsrt Tory to be selected in a full all-postal primary, S

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited August 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The firsrt Tory to be selected in a full all-postal primary, Sarah Wollaston MP, joins the LDs

It's confirmed. LD leader, Jo 'Swinson, has just sent this message out about Sarah Woolston MP pic.twitter.com/v8Keyi7I3F

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited August 2019
    Surprising that parties don’t have a deposit scheme for candidates - if you leave during a parliament we keep your £25 k.

Would stop shysters like this Woolaston grifter getting elected on the Tory brand then pissing off on some sort of woke midlife crisis.

• Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Open primary in 2010 or not, she's now advocating a position on Brexit diametrically opposed to that on which she was elected in 2017 and should call a by-election pronto. I won't hold my breath.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    edited August 2019
    Fourteenth! She adds a lot to the Lib Dems well beyond the Brexit arena. A real coup.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,943
    It all plays into the "us against them" narrative that Cummings and Johnson are surely planning for the snap election they hope to call...
  • Options
    E
    kyf_100 said:

It all plays into the "us against them" narrative that Cummings and Johnson are surely planning for the snap election they hope to call...

Corbyns time limit will be until 2022.

Any Con MP that goes near this should be instantly deselected.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Essexit said:

Open primary in 2010 or not, she's now advocating a position on Brexit diametrically opposed to that on which she was elected in 2017 and should call a by-election pronto. I won't hold my breath.

Why? She was first elected as Sarah Wollaston not as a Conservative
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    fpt for Scott P

Intriguing movements, tho.

I predict we are about to see the most interesting Autumn in British politics since the Putney Debates of October 1647.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putney_Debates

Hopefully, we will have to wait another 400 years for similar excitement.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Open primaries. That was an idea which came and went.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    Welcome aboard Dr Wollaston! always one of my favourite Tories.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    This is a daring move from Corbyn. It could work.

Brexit might be cancelled.

EDIT: no it's not. He wants to be elected as a full-term prime minister BEFORE calling a referendum. What a moron. He is still undermining Remainers.

How can anyone vote for this decrepit fool?

EDITED EDIT: or maybe he's being clever?

I'll shut up for a bit, now.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited August 2019
    As far as I am aware Wollaston had no real history of campaigning for the Tories prior to selection in 2010, only joining the party in 2006 and while she was reasonably happy with Cameron and the Coalition with the LDs she struck me as more of a liberal than a conservative and very anti Brexit so this is no major surprise
  • Options

Essexit said:

Would you adopt the same attitude if a Lib Dem MP elected on a pro-second referendum platform started enthusiastically backing Brexit then defected to the Tories?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Would you adopt the same attitude if a Lib Dem MP elected on a pro-second referendum platform started enthusiastically backing Brexit then defected to the Tories?
    Yes
  • Options
    Hi Stuart - I remember Scottish subsamples when they were taken seriously. Happy days in 2009.

Carry on,
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Won’t be the last, surely?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

That’s Stephen Lloyd give or take the Tory defection. Most Lib Dems respect his principles and recognise his strongly leave leaning seat in Eastbourne, but wish he hadn’t made the daft pledge he did.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    If you trust Corbyn with this, you're an idiot...
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    IanB2 said:

One or two per week, with the Boris majority gone by the time parliament reconvenes.

Corbyn's move is interesting, and with 3 weeks to horsetrade on who forms the GNU.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208

If you trust Corbyn with this, you're an idiot...

Yep.
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn will not win a majority at the next general election, and as a result, the Labour Party is making ‘overtures’ to the SNP with a promise of another independence referendum, Kezia Dugdale claimed today.

The former leader of the Scottish Labour Party also warned that if a second vote on independence was fought solely between the SNP and the Conservatives, because of a weak Labour Party, “you might get a different result”.

Asked if she believed Mr Corbyn would have an “arrangement” with the SNP to enable a minority Labour administration, she said: “One hundred per cent. Again, if you’re looking at the electoral math, and you’re John McDonnell - who is a very smart and astute man - you have to work out what your path to power is.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/kezia-dugdale-labour-s-electoral-maths-means-jeremy-corbyn-won-t-win-a-general-election-1-4983897
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

That’s Stephen Lloyd give or take the Tory defection. Most Lib Dems respect his principles and recognise his strongly leave leaning seat in Eastbourne, but wish he hadn’t made the daft pledge he did.
    Ah, but at least he made that pledge during the election. Sarah Wollaston, to the best of my knowledge, did no such thing.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    I do not recall that vote being passed...

In any case, I think she wants all 650 seats to have an election.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TGOHF said:
    I do not recall that vote being passed...

In any case, I think she wants all 650 seats to have an election.
    Then she should lead by example.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

Chuckle...

The Bill didn't pass.

The UK Parliament, making their own laws.

Dan is cheering that on, right?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

One or two per week, with the Boris majority gone by the time parliament reconvenes.

Corbyn's move is interesting, and with 3 weeks to horsetrade on who forms the GNU.
    AT least something has started as opposed to the deafening silence of the last few weeks
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kyf_100 said:

She has said she will VoNC at the earliest opportunity
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    Byronic said:

This is a daring move from Corbyn. It could work.

Brexit might be cancelled.

EDIT: no it's not. He wants to be elected as a full-term prime minister BEFORE calling a referendum. What a moron. He is still undermining Remainers.

How can anyone vote for this decrepit fool?

EDITED EDIT: or maybe he's being clever?

I'll shut up for a bit, now.

Who knows any more? We've had ludicrous proposals for getting rid of Boris today. One from each side. Kinnock Jnr producing a ghost army of 50, no less, Labour MPs to vote for the WDA. That would get rid of Boris. So he wouldn't bring it forward if it were true. Which it isn't.
    Tugendhat suggesting we up sticks and leave on August 24 without warning. Leaving tourists without insurance or driving permits, and goods in transit with no idea of their status. And probably record stock market and currency falls. That too would get rid of Boris, as he'd be VONCed in a shot, as well as deserving to be for being even more of a Buffoon than his most serious detractors had given credence to.
    What cunning plans will tomorrow bring I wonder?
  • Options
    I can't see any Tory Remainer giving Corbyn his caretaker government, even if the hounds of Hades were at Dover.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,295
    HYUFD said:

As far as I am aware Wollaston had no real history of campaigning for the Tories prior to selection in 2010, only joining the party in 2006 and while she was reasonably happy with Cameron and the Coalition with the LDs she struck me as more of a liberal than a conservative and very anti Brexit so this is no major surprise

Let's see. Anti-brexit then leaves the Conservative Party. What an honourable move. But wait. You are anti-brexit. When exactly will you be leaving the Conservative Party?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kyf_100 said:

Switching political parties should be a condition that can trigger a recall petition.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson to serve longer as PM than...

May EVS
    Cameron 9/2
    Churchill 16/1
    Blair 20/1
    Thatcher 33/1
    Pitt the Younger 66/1
    Walpole 100/1

(betway)
  • Options
    Awb683Awb683 Posts: 80
    The Liberal Undemocrats are welcome to her.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    TGOHF said:
    There is not a single MP I detest more than Sarah Wollaston: who joined the Leave campaign SOLELY as a way to advance her career, when she had obviously planned - with her dear friend Dave Cameron - to later defect from the same Leave campaign, and join the Remainers. At a particularly "advantageous" moment for Remain.

Sadly for her, it totally failed. Because it was so painfully obvious. So she then went from ardent Leaver to reluctant Remainer to..... actively campaigning for a 2nd referendum in favour of Remain?!?!

God help us.

Sarah Wollaston is the very definition of unprincipled careerism - and, therefore, everything that is wrong with British politics. She is a traitor to herself, let alone the rest of us. She is a night-hag of hypocrisy. Hope she loses Totnes.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    Now then Dan, consider this for a moment. She calls a by-election and wins. Every SW seat that is Tory-LD is now most definitely in play, whereas tonight we are merely speculating.

Go ahead punk make my day.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Scott_P said:
    Is this Boris' gameplan? To be ousted by an "undemocractic" coup, call an election, ride to victory?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TGOHF said:
    There is not a single MP I detest more than Sarah Wollaston: who joined the Leave campaign SOLELY as a way to advance her career, when she had obviously planned - with her dear friend Dave Cameron - to later defect from the same Leave campaign, and join the Remainers. At a particularly "advantageous" moment for Remain.

Sadly for her, it totally failed. Because it was so painfully obvious. So she then went from ardent Leaver to reluctant Remainer to..... actively campaigning for a 2nd referendum in favour of Remain?!?!

God help us.

Sarah Wollaston is the very definition of unprincipled careerism - and, therefore, everything that is wrong with British politics. She is a traitor to herself, let alone the rest of us. She is a night-hag of hypocrisy. Hope she loses Totnes.
    She speaks well of you also.
  • Options
    The op is right, Chukka was the first

Suspect he meant 'not the last'
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

God help us.

Yes, these people who flip and flop between Remain and Leave are dreadful and should really have made more of an effort to work out what they think.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

kyf_100 said:

Switching political parties should be a condition that can trigger a recall petition.
    How would that work? The Brexit Party does not have members, for example.
  • Options
    Not at all, it actually has SCons on 23%, only 6% down on 2017 and still 8% up on their lowpoint of 2015, SLab meanwhile has plunged to just 14%, 13% down on 2017 and 10% down on 2015 so for Labour you are correct if not the Tories.

SNP still only up to 40%, still only 3% up on 2017 and 10% down from its 2015 peak
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,979
    Put Sir Keir Starmer as caretaker PM and we’re talking.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Interesting article:

"If the 20th century was the age of ideology, it has been replaced by an era of subjectivity and competing truths. A few on the extreme fringes still cling to grand narratives – the Islamic State for example – but most big ideas have slipped away. Today we each shape our own narrative. We choose what is true based on our own solipsistic inclinations. The result is a hyper-individualised political climate where concepts such as objectivity and impartiality have passed out of fashion."

https://unherd.com/2019/08/the-war-against-objectivity/
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Welcome back.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

God help us.

Yes, these people who flip and flop between Remain and Leave are dreadful and should really have made more of an effort to work out what they think.
    If I were an MP thar retort might have more bite. But, you know, I'm not. So it don't.

I'm just an ex male model in Richmond, expressing herself.

• Options

kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

kyf_100 said:

If a person is elected as a Conservative and turns out to be a lib dem, you should be able to send them back. Just as if you order the fish and it turns out to be a hamburger.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

God help us.

Dr Sarah Wollaston is “everything that is wrong with British politics”. How I have missed the eloquent hyperbole of PB.
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn will not win a majority at the next general election, and as a result, the Labour Party is making ‘overtures’ to the SNP with a promise of another independence referendum, Kezia Dugdale claimed today.

The former leader of the Scottish Labour Party also warned that if a second vote on independence was fought solely between the SNP and the Conservatives, because of a weak Labour Party, “you might get a different result”.

Asked if she believed Mr Corbyn would have an “arrangement” with the SNP to enable a minority Labour administration, she said: “One hundred per cent. Again, if you’re looking at the electoral math, and you’re John McDonnell - who is a very smart and astute man - you have to work out what your path to power is.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/kezia-dugdale-labour-s-electoral-maths-means-jeremy-corbyn-won-t-win-a-general-election-1-4983897

It will actually be between the SNP and the Tories and LDs with Leonard still technically in the latter camp even if not Corbyn and McDonnell
  • Options
    Won't be the first? :lol:

:lol:
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Welcome @Anabobazina. Always nice to see new faces on here.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Put Keir Starmer as PM, exile the trots to North Korea, and sit back to enjoy @NickPalmer tell us how he has always been a centrist pragmatic Labour Party member.

Edit: and welcome (if you are not @Anazina )
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Next UK GE - Richmond Park (Con MAJ 45, Goldsmith)

LD 2/5
    Con 7/4
    Lab 100/1

(Ladbrokes)

• Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Let's see. Anti-brexit then leaves the Conservative Party. What an honourable move. But wait. You are anti-brexit. When exactly will you be leaving the Conservative Party?
    No I respect the Leave result Deal or No Deal, I also have a long history of campaigning for the party unlike Wollaston who only joined the party 4 years before election
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

kyf_100 said:

If a person is elected as a Conservative and turns out to be a lib dem, you should be able to send them back. Just as if you order the fish and it turns out to be a hamburger.
    Again, how would that work?
  • Options
    edited August 2019

I wonder if the Corbyn letter is the first move? After all, that has to be officially declared a no-go some reasonable time before Parliament returns, doesn't it?
    Otherwise, why write it now? Why not just wait?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120
    "Lib Dems have immediately dismissed the idea, saying too many MPs are unwilling to work with Corbyn"

It is very difficult to imagine this lot are ever going to get their act together and block No Deal, isn't it?
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

kyf_100 said:

What's more Chukka would be exhausted.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Welcome back.
    RobD said:

Welcome back.
    Cheers. Couldn’t quote or reply so had to re-register.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Next UK GE - Hastings and Rye (Con Maj 346, Rudd)

Con 2/5
    Lab 7/4
    LD 100/1

(Ladbrokes)
  • Options

🤔
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    edited August 2019

RobD said:

Welcome back.
    RobD said:

Welcome back.
    Were you banned?

*innocent face* :D
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

No I respect the Leave result Deal or No Deal, I also have a long history of campaigning for the party unlike Wollaston who only joined the party 4 years before election
    You are anti-Brexit. You campaigned for the party when it was sensible. Just like I did. The party has changed. Someone of your integrity, steadfastness, and resolve has of course not changed their position. You are in the wrong party.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Survation also has 56% of 2019 EP elections Brexit Party voters now voting Tory but 81% of 2019 EP elections LDs still voting LD

https://www.survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Survation-Political-Poll.xlsx
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Put Keir Starmer as PM, exile the trots to North Korea, and sit back to enjoy @NickPalmer tell us how he has always been a centrist pragmatic Labour Party member.

Edit: and welcome (if you are not @Anazina )

Nope - same guy. Standard Vanilla issues. Easier just to re-register. But thanks anyway!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Here's how to maximise the current shit show:

1. VoNC in Boris Johnson
    2. MPs have confidence in Jeremy Corbyn
    3. Jeremy Corbyn becomes PM
    4. Jeremy Corbyn secures extension
    5. VoNC in Jeremy Corbyn
    6. MPs have confidence in Boris Johnson

• Options
    Corbyn has just put the hardcore remainers on the Tory benches in an incredibly difficult position.

Does Grieve find leaving the EU more terrifying than putting an individual like Corbyn in Downing St.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

The MP for Eastbourne, of course, left the LibDems over his support for Mrs May's Withdrawal Agreement.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

You are anti-Brexit. You campaigned for the party when it was sensible. Just like I did. The party has changed. Someone of your integrity, steadfastness, and resolve has of course not changed their position. You are in the wrong party.
    I am not Brexit Party, I am not LD, I am Tory
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

kyf_100 said:

Unlike the Euro elections when you select a party list in a general election you choose an individual. The idea of even naming a candidate's party on the Ballot paper is relatively new
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

I can't see any Tory Remainer giving Corbyn his caretaker government, even if the hounds of Hades were at Dover.

Certainly it seems unlikely that any Tory, and even some Labour, MPs would want to see Corbyn made PM. But the Mail story suggests Corbyn is promising ref2 (the Telegraph said it would be a GE, which would be less attractive to Tory remainers just at the moment). If Corbyn really is promising ref2 then this could put the LDs and Labour remainers on the spot - whatever else you may say about him he is a man of his word (unlike Johnson) and there is every reason to suppose he could deliver ref2 - there would certainly be a Commons majority for it if the Labour front bench backed it.

So why are the Tory press talking up the possibility?

Intriguing.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Welcome back.
    RobD said:

Welcome back.
    Were you banned?

*innocent face* :D
    No!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Not at all, it actually has SCons on 23%, only 6% down on 2017 and still 8% up on their lowpoint of 2015, SLab meanwhile has plunged to just 14%, 13% down on 2017 and 10% down on 2015 so for Labour you are correct if not the Tories.

SNP still only up to 40%, still only 3% up on 2017 and 10% down from its 2015 peak
    If you’re happy with the SCons losing half their seats, then fine by me.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2019
    All those Tories who said that holding open primaries was a terrible idea will say they've been proved right by Wollaston's defection. Another David Cameron idea that hasn't quite worked out the way he intended, (along with the referendum result).
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,062
    The way this page loaded only showed the header photo from the eyebrows up. It left me wondering what part Hezza was playing in this imbroglio.
  • Options

He’d be kicked out of Labour if he tried.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Brilliant by Jezza - killed off the VONC and ensured No Deal in a single deft stroke. Boris will be paralysed with grief tonight.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

For a Tory, you have a very strange fondness for the Brexit Party. You seem to think that they are your chums. They aren’t.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

kyf_100 said:

Are you thick?

I'm suggesting that if a person elected as, for example, Conservative on their ballot paper crosses the floor and takes, for example, the lib dem whip, the recall of mps act 2015 should be amended such as to make this one of the allowable circumstances that would trigger the recall process.

Got it?
  • Options
    It's always sad when an aging gammon, pink face shining, beer gut wobbling, wallet held tight to the sweaty hand, rages against the dying of the light.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

God help us.

If I were an MP thar retort might have more bite. But, you know, I'm not. So it don't.

You forgot to mention that you voted Remain this time, but glad to here that you are gender fluid. It is a demographic sorely lacking in PB land. Probably...
  • Options
    Byronic said:

You are Sean_T and I claim my €5.41
  • Options
    And yet Dr Sarah Wollaston is the personification of everything wrong with British politics according to Sean.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I wish I had the luxury of taking a 16 day sailing holiday every time my job required me to be in new York...
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Like many posters on here, I am conflicted, I am naturally conservative but abhor Johnson, Corbyn and his cohorts, will never ever get my vote, I want to remain, but I am not a good fit for the Lib Dems. I think I will soon have to make my mind up.
    In response to life expectancy in Scotland, I once visited Wetherspoons in Dundee, and what a depressing experience, middle aged men literally drinking themselves to death, only pausing to go outside to smoke.
    As a Remainer, I now will never visit another Spoons, nor will I buy anything from Next, and Dyson can go suck.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

kyf_100 said:

Are you thick?

I'm suggesting that if a person elected as, for example, Conservative on their ballot paper crosses the floor and takes, for example, the lib dem whip, the recall of mps act 2015 should be amended such as to make this one of the allowable circumstances that would trigger the recall process.

Got it?
    No. So if Sarah Wollaston stayed in the Tories but rebelled on every vote, would that trigger a by election? If one was kicked out of a party, would that trigger a by election?
  • Options

Brilliant by Jezza - killed off the VONC and ensured No Deal in a single deft stroke. Boris will be paralysed with grief tonight.

Nah, we have just entered the negotiation period on how the post VONC government is to be formed..
  • Options

RobD said:

Welcome back.
    RobD said:

Welcome back.
    Well, it makes a change from forgetting the password :D
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

No you aren't. You disagree with the Tory's flagship policy. You are not one of them. They have left you.
  • Options

Certainly it seems unlikely that any Tory, and even some Labour, MPs would want to see Corbyn made PM. But the Mail story suggests Corbyn is promising ref2 (the Telegraph said it would be a GE, which would be less attractive to Tory remainers just at the moment). If Corbyn really is promising ref2 then this could put the LDs and Labour remainers on the spot - whatever else you may say about him he is a man of his word (unlike Johnson) and there is every reason to suppose he could deliver ref2 - there would certainly be a Commons majority for it if the Labour front bench backed it.

So why are the Tory press talking up the possibility?

Intriguing.
    Is he doing that? It seems opaque

If he was talking about a time-limited GNU which then called a 2nd ref and THEN had an election, fair nuff. But he isn't, I don't think. He's calling for a time-limited Labour gov which will ask for an EXTENSION (not a new ref) and will THEN seek a new GE in which Labour will promise to offer Remain as an OPTION in a mooted new referendum.

This plan is Swiss-Cheesed with holes. There are so many ways in which Corbyn could back off, and stay as PM. Anyone who supports it is mad.

The Corbynites really are Maoists, Their end justifies any means.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

When I started posting you were a pro-European Clintonite soft Tory, a moderate. These days you are a Brexiteer Trumpton. A scary journey for reasons unclear.
This discussion has been closed.