Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour has to face up to the blindingly obvious – the Corbyn b

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited August 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour has to face up to the blindingly obvious – the Corbyn brand is busted

Deltapoll July 27 2019

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    My first first?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited August 2019
    Second.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    RBL on the radio again rendering the Labour Party Brexit policy clear as mud ("we will support this if X happens and the diametrically opposing position if Y happens).

But also she said the party would campaign for Remain vs a no deal. Has anyone told Len?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited August 2019
    Third like Labour

edit/ falling fast
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited August 2019
    Indeed, Survation also had over 50% of Brexit Party voters from the European elections now voting Tory under Boris but a big majority of those who voted LD in the European Parliament elections still voting LD, as long as Corbynism retains hold of Labour hard to see that changing and remember the LDs beat Labour in the European Parliament elections.

On the above Deltapoll the LDs are almost as close to Corbyn Labour as Corbyn Labour are to the Tories in a strong 3rd but the LDs are in 4th 21% behind non Corbyn Labour
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Action Fraud investigation: victims misled and mocked as police fail to investigate" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/action-fraud-investigation-victims-misled-and-mocked-as-police-fail-to-investigate-wlh8c6rs6
  • Options
    Anyhoo yield curve inversion mania is the order of the week. Does anyone smart out there have a persuasive fundamentals argument why this signal is wrong?

I see industrial contraction in Germany making it slide towards recession, US policy makers pushing against a piece of string, Japan still having Japanese demographics, UK continued political uncertainty, China's challenges too hard to explain in one clause, and EM insufficiently decoupled from the rest. Where's the global growth in 2020?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Cool but the polling does not show what will actually happen when any particular person takes over. Whither the Boris bounce? Who is the shining star of the Shadow Cabinet, with poise and charisma? I'm not sure there is a natural successor.

And one downside for Swinson, or at least for the LibDems, is they cannot pick up seats in a general election if there is no election.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    moonshine said:

Anyhoo yield curve inversion mania is the order of the week. Does anyone smart out there have a persuasive fundamentals argument why this signal is wrong?

I see industrial contraction in Germany making it slide towards recession, US policy makers pushing against a piece of string, Japan still having Japanese demographics, UK continued political uncertainty, China's challenges too hard to explain in one clause, and EM insufficiently decoupled from the rest. Where's the global growth in 2020?

Africa. Possibly also the Middle East, if the uncertainty around Iran holds the oil price up.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    HYUFD said:

Indeed, Survation also had over 50% of Brexit Party voters from the European elections now voting Tory under Boris but a big majority of those who voted LD in the European Parliament elections still voting LD, as long as Corbynism retains hold of Labour hard to see that changing and remember the LDs beat Labour in the European Parliament elections.

On the above Deltapoll the LDs are almost as close to Corbyn Labour as Corbyn Labour are to the Bozo Tories in a strong 3rd but the LDs are in 4th 21% behind non Corbyn Labour

Fixed the above for you!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    "And would you like your liberal values with a twist of anti-semitism, Sir? No? Well, maybe a side-order of Brexit ambiguity then?"

It will need more than Corbyn going to change the fact that, for many on the centre-left, voting Labour is now a deeply unpleasant notion.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,221
    Morning all,

Well, at least good old Corbys has livened up the August phony war.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    It's like "No problem No Deal Brexit" - you just have to "believe"
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

Africa. Possibly also the Middle East, if the uncertainty around Iran holds the oil price up.
    Maybe but see above about EM. Given USD leverage, what do these guys do upon continued dollar strength and reduction in demand for commods? As a proportion of global GDP this is small fry anyway.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Action Fraud investigation: victims misled and mocked as police fail to investigate" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/action-fraud-investigation-victims-misled-and-mocked-as-police-fail-to-investigate-wlh8c6rs6

Are Concentrix involved? They have form, as I can attest from personal experience.
  • Options
    The trouble with this sort of polling is that people project their own preferred new Labour leader when they answer the poll. The person who switched to Labour thinking of Starmer may be a bit more hesitant to give their support to a Piddock-led party.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,297
    edited August 2019
    It is an irony that Corbyn putting himself forward to lead a GONU has demonstrated to one and all that he has so little support, even in his own party, that it is most likely he will take labour down to a devastating defeat in a GE
  • Options

"And would you like your liberal values with a twist of anti-semitism, Sir? No? Well, maybe a side-order of Brexit ambiguity then?"

It will need more than Corbyn going to change the fact that, for many on the centre-left, voting Labour is now a deeply unpleasant notion.

Why vote Labour for ersatz racism and Brexit ambiguity when Boris's Tories have the real thing? Not much of an election slogan; I doubt Lynton Crosby will use it.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    IMO Mike is fundamentally wrong - I live in the sort of seat where the LibDems really need Labour tactical votes and could well win. Up to recently I've known half a dozen Labour voters (two of them members) who were quietly going to do it. None of them are Corbyn fans. They are all alienated by Swinson's tactics, which seem to them to be putting party realignment (which they are at best ambiguous about) before stopping No Deal Brexit (which they are passionate about). She needs to at least seem to be open to a deal with all the Stop No Deal MPs, and when she rejects up to 200 of them out of hand, she is throwing away tactical "Bollocks to Brexit" votes in any election by the bucketload.
  • Options

IMO Mike is fundamentally wrong - I live in the sort of seat where the LibDems really need Labour tactical votes and could well win. Up to recently I've known half a dozen Labour voters (two of them members) who were quietly going to do it. None of them are Corbyn fans. They are all alienated by Swinson's tactics, which seem to them to be putting party realignment (which they are at best ambiguous about) before stopping No Deal Brexit (which they are passionate about). She needs to at least seem to be open to a deal with all the Stop No Deal MPs, and when she rejects up to 200 of them out of hand, she is throwing away tactical "Bollocks to Brexit" votes in any election by the bucketload.

Useful input, thanks.
  • Options

It is an irony that Corbyn putting himself forward to lead a GONU has demonstrated to one and all that he has so little support, even in his own party, that it is most likely he will take labour down to a devastating defeat in a GE

Might be useful to try and work out why Corbyn has done this today?

I'm unconvinced it is because he really does want to stop No Deal.
  • Options

It's yet another game of who blinks. Things might look very different as deadline day approaches.

The other side of the coin is that - if Labour is determined to stop no deal and if they accept the GOMOO is simply a letter-writing government - it shouldn't need to be Corbyn (who has hardly been leading the charge) as PM. The Tories supporting such an arrangement are making the biggest sacrifice, and the Tories achieved the biggest minority vote in the last GE, so some elder Tory who is leaving politics would be a reasonable choice.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

The trouble with this sort of polling is that people project their own preferred new Labour leader when they answer the poll. The person who switched to Labour thinking of Starmer may be a bit more hesitant to give their support to a Piddock-led party.

If the poll is anywhere close to representative, 80% of respondents have never heard of Starmer, and probably 95% or more have never heard of Pidcock.

I wish I'd never heard of Pidcock.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

She's not rejecting up to 200 of them out of hand. She's rejecting Jeremy Corbyn's claim to lead such a government. Given that he is monumentally unpopular, has shown all the leadership on Brexit of a damp dishcloth and does not even lead his own party in Parliament effectively, why should he and only he occupy that position?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Sums it up. It's like a multi functional/party prisoners dilemma, where two opposing viewpoints actually end up working 'with' each other to remove the middle compromise position.
  • Options

Nick.

With the greatest of respect the stumbling block is Corbyn.

Would you support a GONU led by someone else who would attempt to stop no deal
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited August 2019

As a Corbynista l would expect you to respond like that. That's not what the polling shows and all the LDs activists I speak to have the opposite message. Corbyn is the biggest recruiter The LDs are now polling at three times GE2017 levels while Corbyn’s LAB is down from the 40s to the low 20s
  • Options
    Wollaston suggested Ken Clarke as interim PM on Sky earlier.
  • Options
    Alastair Burt on Sky seeking to back the WDA

It is the best way out by a distance
  • Options

I can’t see past him wanting to see no deal, then a winter or spring election where he thinks he has a chance to win a plurality, if not a majority.

I think the real crunch point comes in the first few days and weeks of November following Brexit. Do those opposed to the government co-operate to avoid and mitigate issues as they arise, or do they try and play a crisis for political advantage?

Certain parts of the opposition (and commentariat) currently give the impression that they’ll be loudly cheering every job loss or industrial disruption - which I don’t think will be a good look if it comes to that.
  • Options

Becuase
    1) He doesn't lose anything by this.
    2) Worried about the lib dems gettign support with remainers, so seeking to stop any moves to them
    3) See's this as his best way of getting to be PM

Even 'if' it's a caketaker role, being PM would give him huge power and a huge boost for a GE.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

She's not rejecting up to 200 of them out of hand. She's rejecting Jeremy Corbyn's claim to lead such a government. Given that he is monumentally unpopular, has shown all the leadership on Brexit of a damp dishcloth and does not even lead his own party in Parliament effectively, why should he and only he occupy that position?

Since this thing involves mortal enemies agreeing on one person the only way to make it work is if you tell everyone that it doesn't matter who the caretaker is, because all they're going to do is turn the lights off when everyone's gone home.

The way she should be playing it is to say, "The caretaker doesn't matter, we're not Jeremy Corbyn fans but we need to stop No Deal, if you can find enough Tory votes then you'll have ours". That makes the $GRANDEE option easier to sell to Labour MPs in the event that it turns out that Jeremy Corbyn is unable to attract the support of lifelong Conservative MPs.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674

Exactly. While the Corbyn rating numbers are truly atrocious polls along the lines of "If X was different (how, unspecified) would you do something else?" - Can't see the Labour selectariat selecting someone fundamentally different from Magic Grandpa. What a mess, one party led by a knave, the other by a fool.

On OGH point:

All this means is that there are no downsides for Jo Swinson when she snubs Corbyn’s latest opportunistic initiatives.

I'm not so sure. "Get lost Grandpa" may be remembered (and certainly will be presented by some) as "Lib Dems refused to help stop Brexit".
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Well it's better than No Deal in some ways but allows the Tories to survive.

Personally a No Deal screwup is what Boris and the Tories deserve.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Interesting Corbyn didn’t (couldn’t bring himself) to write to Ann’s Soubry to seek support for his power grab.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited August 2019
    The LDs are not interested in stopping Brexit -- unless they are the ones to do it.

For example, the LDs (very weak in Wales) could have not fielded a candidate at the Euros and told their supporters to vote Plaid Cymru. They did not.

The LDs are only interested in others making sacrifices for them.

That is why the LD/Green/Plaid Cymru Remain alliance does not include the SNP. Or Labour Remainers.

The LDs are interested in smaller parties immolating themselves for the greater LD good, but they have no interest in self-immolation themselves.

The LDs are playing politics -- they want to be the party that stops Brexit.

They don't want the Labour Party to be the party that stops it. Otherwise the LDs will be back polling 5 per cent in the polls again.
  • Options

Since this thing involves mortal enemies agreeing on one person the only way to make it work is if you tell everyone that it doesn't matter who the caretaker is, because all they're going to do is turn the lights off when everyone's gone home.

The way she should be playing it is to say, "The caretaker doesn't matter, we're not Jeremy Corbyn fans but we need to stop No Deal, if you can find enough Tory votes then you'll have ours". That makes the $GRANDEE option easier to sell to Labour MPs in the event that it turns out that Jeremy Corbyn is unable to attract the support of lifelong Conservative MPs.
    She's also looking to pick up the votes of erstwhile Conservative Remainers. There is an alternate universe out there where David Herdson and Richard Nabavi are voting Lib Dem at the next election. It is not one where Jo Swinson has entertained for a second the idea of backing Jeremy Corbyn, even temporarily.
  • Options

The problem is that they had three chances to back it and failed. I don't see how it can now come back to be voted on again. Sarah Vine made a great point being annoyed with those MPs who voted against the WDA now complaining about no deal. It was always going to be the result of those votes. Their stupidity is beyond belief.

• Options

As a Corbynista l would expect you to respond like that. That's not what the polling shows and all the LDs activists I speak to have the opposite message. Corbyn is the biggest recruiter The LDs are now polling at three times GE2017 levels while Corbyn’s LAB is down from the 40s to the low 20s
    So what? What use is polling well if there is no election? The LibDems need to hold their noses and help Labour force an election.
  • Options

The problem is that they had three chances to back it and failed. I don't see how it can now come back to be voted on again. Sarah Vine made a great point being annoyed with those MPs who voted against the WDA now complaining about no deal. It was always going to be the result of those votes. Their stupidity is beyond belief.

Sarah Vine is married to the Leader of the House. Perhaps she does know something.
  • Options

Oh yes, yells my wallet!
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Interesting Corbyn didn’t (couldn’t bring himself) to write to Ann’s Soubry to seek support for his power grab.

Once a tory always a tory in Corbyn's book.
  • Options

How in the world does Burt imagine that Johnson will bring back the WDA for another vote?
  • Options

Oh yes, yells my wallet!
    One bloody Prime Minister too late. *sulks*

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124
    IanB2 said:

It's yet another game of who blinks. Things might look very different as deadline day approaches.

The other side of the coin is that - if Labour is determined to stop no deal and if they accept the GOMOO is simply a letter-writing government - it shouldn't need to be Corbyn (who has hardly been leading the charge) as PM. The Tories supporting such an arrangement are making the biggest sacrifice, and the Tories achieved the biggest minority vote in the last GE, so some elder Tory who is leaving politics would be a reasonable choice.
    As you say, it shouldn't really matter who it is. It's all very well saying the Tories are making the biggest sacrifice, but those Tory MPs and the minor parties have been loudly telling us for months that No Deal will be catastrophic and must be averted. If they really want to stop it, they can. But they are going to need the support of Labour MPs who may be more ambivalent. That's the advantage of Corbyn.

But they need to coalesce behind someone. Anyone. Sylvia Hermon?
  • Options

Sarah Vine is married to the Leader of the House. Perhaps she does know something.
    To be honest, the deal isn't looking too bad now, and it never did.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

She's also looking to pick up the votes of erstwhile Conservative Remainers. There is an alternate universe out there where David Herdson and Richard Nabavi are voting Lib Dem at the next election. It is not one where Jo Swinson has entertained for a second the idea of backing Jeremy Corbyn, even temporarily.
    The law of unintended consequences is delightful. May's 2017 GE gave Corbyn his mandate to ignore opinion polls and potentially give us No Deal Brexit.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    moonshine said:

I don't know about smart, or persuasive, but I did find it interesting to hear the central bank purchase of bonds mentioned in this context.

Seems obvious to me that would distort the market - indeed that was the intention - and so not outrageous to suggest that distortion invalidates it as a predictive diagnostic. But it might not.
  • Options

Oh yes, yells my wallet!
    One bloody Prime Minister too late. *sulks*

Oi, at least you made a profit on the last one! :)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Corbyn supporters are more interested in getting their man into Downing Street than stopping a no deal Brexit.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Meeks, ha, I did likewise (definitely with Lidington[sp], can't recall if I ended up backing Clarke too).
  • Options

Sarah married to Jacob Rees-Mogg ?

I think Michael and Sarah may have something to say about that
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Corbyn supporters are more interested in getting their man into Downing Street than stopping a no deal Brexit.

Most likely they fail at both, in any case extending again by Boris is more likely to get Corbyn in number 10 than No Deal
  • Options
    Chris said:

IanB2 said:

As you say, it shouldn't really matter who it is. It's all very well saying the Tories are making the biggest sacrifice, but those Tory MPs and the minor parties have been loudly telling us for months that No Deal will be catastrophic and must be averted. If they really want to stop it, they can. But they are going to need the support of Labour MPs who may be more ambivalent. That's the advantage of Corbyn.

I had Lady Sylvia Hermon added to the Betfair market for exactly this reason. Sadly no one has laid her at 1000 for me yet.

A more serious proposition is Ian Blackford.
  • Options

How in the world does Burt imagine that Johnson will bring back the WDA for another vote?
    He joins Stephen Kinnock in pushing this line
  • Options

Sarah married to Jacob Rees-Mogg ?

I think Michael and Sarah may have something to say about that
    Good point well made. Oops.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Corbyn will not be busted unless and until he does badly in a general election. This has not yet happened. He's fought one and he thrashed expectations out of sight. Real votes in a general election as opposed to opinion polls. And it was only two years ago.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611
    (FPT)
    Cyclefree said:

She’s getting attention for her cause and she’s making us think about the implications of it for an under-considered aspect of daily life. Good on her.

Will you be cycling to Hungary next year ;)
    I’m well aware I have more to do in this area. Making people like me think about this more is rather the point, yes?
    And do you really think no-one has thought about this until Greta turned up? I have been using trains to travel around Europe with my children for years. I am working from home today and tomorrow and have regular video calls with the people on the project I am working on in every continent: Mexico one day, China the next. The place in the Lake District I go to has a train station in the village so the train is regularly used to get up there.

Good for Greta to get involved. But this stunt is about her. Had she done her talk remotely it would have reminded people of a practical way forward. Instead, as someone who has done a lot of day-to-day green measures in my life for years, it irritates beyond measure to see people like her, Harry etc use the “green” excuse for a lot of lovely jollies and self-publicity.
    But the stunt is about maximum publicity, and whether you approve or not, has succeeded in that aim - we've been dissecting it continuously on here in a manner far beyond anything a single boot trip justifies.

I think the argument is that "day to day green measures", while not an irrelevance, go nowhere near what is required to address the continuing rise in atmospheric CO2.
    Assuming the scientists are correct (or even assuming a 20% probability they are, given the consequences), we have scant decades to completely re-engineer the globe's energy systems. That is simply not going to happen without the governments of world's largest economies adopting it as a priority, and directing the spending 2-3% of GDP every year for the next three decades to fund it.

That political will is not going to come from within the existing system, absent some very heavy prodding.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    AndyJS said:

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1161915099935858689
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    What's not to like about this proposal from Boris's point of view?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/14/labour-bloc-plans-radical-move-to-push-through-brexit-deal

It would mean his brinksmanship approach has caused MPs to blink, no-deal disaster goes away, LibDem bubble is burst, Labour split, and he presents himself as the great unifier who by dynamic leadership broke the impasse. And no need for an early election.

ERG won't be happy and a few, like Rees-Mogg, may resign from Cabinet, but relatively small beer. Farage will fume. But Boris can re-present himself as liberal one-nation Tory which, I think, he aspires to be.

Probably all fantasy though.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Corbyn will not be busted unless and until he does badly in a general election. This has not yet happened. He's fought one and he thrashed expectations out of sight. Real votes in a general election as opposed to opinion polls. And it was only two years ago.

Amazing how much has changed in 2 years

Corbyn has been found out and cannot get support to win a vonc with him as PM
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited August 2019
    I am not convinced that moderate Labour MPs want to win an election in the midst of the Brexit fiasco. They know Corbyn is going to lose and I think they are just biding their time. They probably know that the only way to get rid of Corbyn is after he loses another GE.

The majority of the Labour Party thinks Brexit is going to be a failure so why would they want to be holding the reigns of power at precisely the moment it happens, particularly with Corbyn at the helm?
  • Options
    eek said:

Well it's better than No Deal in some ways but allows the Tories to survive.

Personally a No Deal screwup is what Boris and the Tories deserve.
    A No Deal Brexit is most likely to give the Tories a majority in the short term as the Brexit Party vote collapses in the Tories favour, the question would then be if the LDs overtake Corbyn Labour or not for second, that would be exactly what Corbyn Labour deserves for voting down the Withdrawal Agreement for party political reasons but it may take another 5 to 10 years to achieve if Corbynism retains its grip on Labour
  • Options

Exactly. While the Corbyn rating numbers are truly atrocious polls along the lines of "If X was different (how, unspecified) would you do something else?" - Can't see the Labour selectariat selecting someone fundamentally different from Magic Grandpa. What a mess, one party led by a knave, the other by a fool.

On OGH point:

All this means is that there are no downsides for Jo Swinson when she snubs Corbyn’s latest opportunistic initiatives.

I'm not so sure. "Get lost Grandpa" may be remembered (and certainly will be presented by some) as "Lib Dems refused to help stop Brexit".
    Once we Brexit, the centre left/left will tear chunks out of each other as to who is responsible. And whether we should rejoin.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    MPs should just VONC.

I don’t really care who a caretaker PM is, we need an election.

And if that doesn’t solve matters, another election.

It’s called parliamentary democracy and we used to be rather good at it.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

I had Lady Sylvia Hermon added to the Betfair market for exactly this reason. Sadly no one has laid her at 1000 for me yet.

I’m not sure the Lib Dems would support the man who defenestrated Charles Kennedy.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

I'm surprised that Mr Smithson is calling Mr Palmer a Corbynista. If it were a Conservative "Diehard Leaver" doing the accusing, I would not be so surprised.
  • Options
    Really scary thread. It looks like No Deal is certain unless Johnson is removed:

https://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge/status/1161594446229774338
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Jeremy Corbyn - Brexit's Bessy Mate.

How many years have I been trotting this out?
  • Options

What's not to like about this proposal from Boris's point of view?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/14/labour-bloc-plans-radical-move-to-push-through-brexit-deal

It would mean his brinksmanship approach has caused MPs to blink, no-deal disaster goes away, LibDem bubble is burst, Labour split, and he presents himself as the great unifier who by dynamic leadership broke the impasse. And no need for an early election.

ERG won't be happy and a few, like Rees-Mogg, may resign from Cabinet, but relatively small beer. Farage will fume. But Boris can re-present himself as liberal one-nation Tory which, I think, he aspires to be.

Probably all fantasy though.

It is the answer
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

I dont think it will. The things that are dragging Corbyn down took years to have effect and a Brexit crisis to boot, it shows how reluctant so many are to move away from the labour brand. With the tories determined to appeal only to their most extreme elements the right labour leader could still sweep up masses of support thanks to FPTP, and even Corbyn can stage a recovery since the Tory position can easily weaken depending what happens with Brexit regardless of what corbyn does.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

I’m not sure the Lib Dems would support the man who defenestrated Charles Kennedy.
    Margaret Beckett would be candidate to appeal to the maximum possible spread of the selectorate - but I doubt anyone can do it to be honest.

Election now please.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

On the above Deltapoll the LDs are almost as close to Corbyn Labour as Corbyn Labour are to the Bozo Tories in a strong 3rd but the LDs are in 4th 21% behind non Corbyn Labour

Fixed the above for you!
    Bozo Tories is fine, he is far more popular than Corbyn.

We Tories will happily still mention Corbyn Labour every time on the doorsteps in return for you mentioning Bozo Tories as there is only one winner from that!
  • Options

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

The Lib Dems can't be too picky. They can reasonably oppose Jeremy Corbyn. They need to show a lot of flexibility after that.
  • Options

MPs should just VONC.

I don’t really care who a caretaker PM is, we need an election.

And if that doesn’t solve matters, another election.

It’s called parliamentary democracy and we used to be rather good at it.

I agree. A GE is our system's safety valve. We should use it. Perhaps two elections over the autumn/winter will be required.
  • Options

On OGH point:

Once we Brexit, the centre left/left will tear chunks out of each other as to who is responsible. And whether we should rejoin.
    Stand by to learn a lot more about Article 49.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited August 2019
    I'm going to have to admit it, this is an exquisite political squeeze by Corbyn. His remain inclined opponents won't put him in because once again they are seeking the perfect instead of the good.*
    It's the same reasoning they didn't pass the WA.

If parliament is 100% serious about preventing No Deal and parliament believes leaving the EU without a deal would be an utter disaster and Corbyn is the only route out of that hole, they should swallow their pride and not hesitate to put him in.
    But people didn't swallow their pride to pass the WA so they probably won't to do this.

The Labour front bench is pushing their opponents to a very very hard place indeed. If they didn't want to head to this place, they could have passed the WA.

*Instead they have a choice betwixt the dreadful instead of the catastrophic ;)
    **Corbyn is the Leader of the Opposition, so it is the constitutional norm he gets first dibs on attempting to form a Gov't if Johnson is VoNCed.

I'd never vote for Corbyn in a million years, but I'd give a thought to sticking him in now and then bringing him down on Nov 2nd.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Parliament passes a motion requesting the government retables

Boris offers a free vote

A good outcome for the country but politically challenging for Boris

Needs (a) some concession from Europe - no matter how meaningless - to give cover; and (b) trust. I can quite easily see Boris taking the view this is an attempt by Labour to screw him. They’ve promised support and not delivered many times
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Really scary thread. It looks like No Deal is certain unless Johnson is removed:

https://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge/status/1161594446229774338

That diplomat is wrong. The British government does not believe that No Deal is best for the country. It believes that it is best for the Tory party.

That is the bind we are in as a country.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    It would be almost funny to see mps try to take control of the agenda to seek to pass the WA on the 4th attempt I think. Theoretically it would work if there were enough labour MPs who genuinely regretted not backing it before as something like 85% of Tory MPs voted for it last time, but BoJo has made it very clear how unacceptable it is so would whip against it - so the interesting thing would be how many Tories would rebel in such a situation? Given hundreds voted for it multiple times they cannot honestly think it unacceptable even if they currently accept it is dead, but so many of them will be loyalists in the stupid situation of voting down something they tried to pass multiple times.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Why? No-one likes or trusts the SNP and he’d be under enormous pressure to introduce a new independence bill as a quid pro quo.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,108

On OGH point:

Yep, there's nothing that shouts out willingness to cooperate & work together than immediately dismissing out of hand an offer to cooperate & work together.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

The problem is that it’s simply not true and everyone knows it. The office of the PM has immense executive authority and carries a lot of prestige. Even if you promise not to legislate it’s a very significant role
  • Options
    Chris said:

IanB2 said:

I believe the PM doesn't have to be an MP? Or even in Parliament.
  • Options
    Passing May's Shit Deal would leave the Tories still fighting like bezerkers over that Brexit deal. It leaves the DUP pulling support - and ambivalent about a general election being called. It very likely gives us an early general election.

These things would have been so had Corbyn kept his party unity with a whipped abstention on May's Shit Deal, on each of the three previous occasions it came to the House.

But Corbyn wants maximum disruption from a No Del Brexit. Out of chaos, power.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Given hundreds voted for it multiple times they cannot honestly think it unacceptable even if they currently accept it is dead, but so many of them will be loyalists in the stupid situation of voting down something they tried to pass multiple times.

I wouldn't be overly concerned, pride and party loyalty will trump any sort of logic on this :D
  • Options

Chris said:

Why? No-one likes or trusts the SNP and he’d be under enormous pressure to introduce a new independence bill as a quid pro quo.
    The whole point of this government would be a single-item government. If it ever happened, the person would need to be seen to be dragged to the chair like the Speaker.

To satisfy everyone that person is going to need to be reasonably non-threatening to all parts of the coalition. The likeliest is a Labour grandee (Margaret Beckett is a good call).

But you could easily see how it ends up being someone like Caroline Lucas, Ian Blackford or Liz Saville-Roberts.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

On OGH point:

Yep, there's nothing that shouts out willingness to cooperate & work together than immediately dismissing out of hand an offer to cooperate & work together.
    If the Lib Dems really think that stopping Brexit is paramount then all other objectives are, by definition, secondary and they should be prepared to work with anyone and everyone.

Are they really saying that they will sit idly by and allow no deal because of their personal antipathy to Corbyn?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

He'd obviously have no designs on the job long-term, which would be the chief advantage.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    Scott_P said:
    If so, then surely time to call his bluff by agreeing? Either blocks no deal or destroys Corbyn/Labour completely with remainers if he backtracks.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,108
    edited August 2019

The LDs are not interested in stopping Brexit -- unless they are the ones to do it.

For example, the LDs (very weak in Wales) could have not fielded a candidate at the Euros and told their supporters to vote Plaid Cymru. They did not.

The LDs are only interested in others making sacrifices for them.

That is why the LD/Green/Plaid Cymru Remain alliance does not include the SNP. Or Labour Remainers.

The LDs are interested in smaller parties immolating themselves for the greater LD good, but they have no interest in self-immolation themselves.

The LDs are playing politics -- they want to be the party that stops Brexit.

They don't want the Labour Party to be the party that stops it. Otherwise the LDs will be back polling 5 per cent in the polls again.

Having been royally reamed by a larger party, the LDs are making sure that they're going to be the reamer of smaller parties from now on.
  • Options

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

SNP alone would not be enough on latest polls, Corbyn needs LDs too for a majority and Swinson would block indyref2 as well as veto Corbyn as PM
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335
    My quick and dirty is that when I add up SNP/LDs/TIG/Indys/Tory Remain ultras and Labour’s Watson wing I only get to 180-190 very reliable MPs to stop No Deal.

Where do the other 130-140 MPs come from if Corbyn and Johnson aren’t playing ball?
  • Options

Chris said:

The whole point of this government would be a single-item government. If it ever happened, the person would need to be seen to be dragged to the chair like the Speaker.

To satisfy everyone that person is going to need to be reasonably non-threatening to all parts of the coalition. The likeliest is a Labour grandee (Margaret Beckett is a good call).

But you could easily see how it ends up being someone like Caroline Lucas, Ian Blackford or Liz Saville-Roberts.
    There's one other leftfield option, and I've no idea if she is at 1000, but Theresa May being brought back as PM for a day and getting her WA passed at attempt 4 has crossed my mind :D
  • Options

Passing May's Shit Deal would leave the Tories still fighting like bezerkers over that Brexit deal. It leaves the DUP pulling support - and ambivalent about a general election being called. It very likely gives us an early general election.

These things would have been so had Corbyn kept his party unity with a whipped abstention on May's Shit Deal, on each of the three previous occasions it came to the House.

But Corbyn wants maximum disruption from a No Del Brexit. Out of chaos, power.

The biggest beneficiaries from the prospect of No Deal are now the LDs in the polls NOT Corbyn Labour, when May extended again Corbyn led the polls though as the Brexit Party split the Tory vote and Boris has won most of those voters back
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

To be honest, the deal isn't looking too bad now, and it never did.

However bad no deal is it is still greatly preferable to the continuing existence of the dark malignancy that is the tory party. It would be criminal insanity to let them off the hook and vote for the WDA now.
  • Options
    I agree except I think there were also those who claimed to think we could get a better deal but were only saying so as an excuse. Certainly by the last vote it was clear that was not happening.

It is still the best way of avoiding a giant mess. It is further away than ever though - theres been no reason for BoJo to reject so thoroughly something he himself voted for except that he was anticipating the prospect of someone suggesting bringing it back.

Because whatever they say the brexiteers and BXP dont want to leave on 31 Oct do or die. If they did they might accept the WA, as Boris did. They want to leave on 31 oct only in certain ways, which is not as catchy.
This discussion has been closed.