Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The whole Corbyn GNU story is based on a false premise – that

Comments

• Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

It’s a process. Brexit will soon be done

Where "soon" equals 'not in our lifetime'...
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Header is spot on. VONC will not carry. Johnson is safe from that.

The truth is that there are many MPs who want to stop Brexit but are more concerned with stopping Corbyn being PM.

This means that Brexit is unlikely to be stopped.

Who to blame? Corbyn for being Corbyn? Or those pretending that stopping Brexit is their priority?

The latter will say the former.

That is my point. If the Devil could stop Brexit, I'd support him. Then we can remove him.
    Quite. And even though I'm no Corbynista if allowing him to be a caretaker PM for a short time is the only way to stop no deal then so be it.
    What if he reneged on it, once installed?
    I said that this afternoon and was labelled an idiot. Just so you know to be prepared...
    Quite right. Once Corbyn and McDonnell are in numbers 10 and 11 they'll find a reason(s) not to give them up. Corbyn ignored a VONC by his MPs, he'll ignore anything designed to prise him from No 10. He's proved effective in seizing control of the Labour Party, he'll try the same with government, irrespective of the parliamentary arithmetic.
    Corbyn is wholly untrustworthy. No way should he be allowed anywhere near No 10.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,476

TGOHF said:

I despair at our politics. I really do.

It’s a process. Brexit will soon be done and we can get back to important stuff like cones hotlines and Cool Britannia....
    Imagine thinking Brexit will be ‘done’ 😂
    Bless...
  • surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

The truth is that there are many MPs who want to stop Brexit but are more concerned with stopping Corbyn being PM.

Who to blame? Corbyn for being Corbyn? Or those pretending that stopping Brexit is their priority?

That is my point. If the Devil could stop Brexit, I'd support him. Then we can remove him.
    Quite. And even though I'm no Corbynista if allowing him to be a caretaker PM for a short time is the only way to stop no deal then so be it.
    I said that this afternoon and was labelled an idiot. Just so you know to be prepared...
    Quite right. Once Corbyn and McDonnell are in numbers 10 and 11 they'll find a reason(s) not to give them up. Corbyn ignored a VONC by his MPs, he'll ignore anything designed to prise him from No 10. He's proved effective in seizing control of the Labour Party, he'll try the same with government, irrespective of the parliamentary arithmetic.
    Corbyn is wholly untrustworthy. No way should he be allowed anywhere near No 10.
    Fine. Has anyone got any other ideas to stop No Deal Brexit, any Brexit without Corbyn and about 50 of his flunkies ? And, please be brief !
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,879

AndyJS said:

I don't think 14 Tories supporting a VONC is out of the question.

A handful yes. 14 I think highly unlikely.

Backing a VONC in your own party is the parliamentary equivalent of pushing the big red button: you can threaten it and stomp your feet, but at 1 minute to midnight are you ready to push it?
    Boris already has his finger on the "big red button".
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Fine. Has anyone got any other ideas to stop No Deal Brexit, any Brexit without Corbyn and about 50 of his flunkies ? And, please be brief !
    The exact same can be said in reverse.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Really? What has he done that makes you think he's less trustworthy than Boris?
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,043
    Scott_P said:
    Obligatory Telegraph photo of blonde girls getting A level results as well I see. Nice to see that the important traditions are being maintained.

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Yes.
    Day 1 VoNC in Johnson tabled by Corbyn
    Day 2 VOC for Corbyn as PM fails.
    Day 3 VOC for "Someone Else" fails by 50 votes (25 MPs) because Not enough Tory and Labour MPs have the spine to vote against their party.
    Days 4 to 10 total panic from the 400 MPs who all really hate the idea of no deal brexit.
    Day 11 VOC for "Someone Else" is finaly passed with 380 in favour.
    Day 12 Brexit delayed, ... once more.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888

TGOHF said:

It’s a process. Brexit will soon be done and we can get back to important stuff like cones hotlines and Cool Britannia....
    The withdrawal agreement is the closest we can get to having Brexit "done" quickly (Well the FTAs will take years to work out but there would be goodwill on both sides with the EU and transition would be extended till it was all sorted I think). It'd be smooth for business too.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,191

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

The problem with Corbyn isn’t that he is untrustworthy, it’s the things you might trust him to do.

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

No. I have assumed for a long time - since March, in fact when I wrote a header on this - that the ERG has won and there will be a No Deal exit.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,288

TGOHF said:

Of course it will be done. Brexit is a process. Being a country not in the EU is the result. There is nothing scary about being a country not in the EU. In fact it's the norm. It's the process that's got people losing it. It's like going to the dentist.

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

His whole career.
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    eristdoof said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Yes.
    Day 3 VOC for "Someone Else" fails by 50 votes (25 MPs) because Not enough Tory and Labour MPs have the spine to vote against their party.
    Days 4 to 10 total panic from the 400 MPs who all really hate the idea of no deal brexit.
    So 4 PMs in 2 weeks?

FTPA requires VOC to be “in Her Majesty’s Govt”. Can’t put the cart before the Horse.

Off topic, the series on Radio 4 about August 1969 when the Troubles started in Northern Ireland is superb.

A must hear.
  • houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    eristdoof said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Yes.
    Excluding LDs and Nats etc, that's about 300 Lab and Con MPs who are going to lose the party whip and find their political careers coming to an end. Seems unlikely. Also a parliament that can't agree on anything doesn't seem likely to be able to agree on any candidate for PM. One can see an embarrassing series of votes for Clarke, Harman, Lucas, etc with each being defeated in turn.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,592
    I told you. This is why she said she was standing down at the next election. Specifically so she could vote for Johnson in a VONC.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    eristdoof said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Yes.
    "And Little Eris stepped into his private boat and waved good-bye and sailed back over a year and in and out of weeks and through a day and into the night of his very own room where he found his supper waiting for him ..

... and it was still hot."
    That does not deal with the concerns.
    Cyclefree said:

Off topic, the series on Radio 4 about August 1969 when the Troubles started in Northern Ireland is superb.

A must hear.

I agree, an anniversary we should remember.

The link is here:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1161880331735240704?s=19
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

The withdrawal agreement is the closest we can get to having Brexit "done" quickly (Well the FTAs will take years to work out but there would be goodwill on both sides with the EU and transition would be extended till it was all sorted I think). It'd be smooth for business too.
    And of course remains pretty much the only pretty much sure fire route to avoiding no deal.
    Cyclefree said:

But it addresses the concerns.
    houndtang said:

eristdoof said:

Yes.
    Excluding LDs and Nats etc, that's about 300 Lab and Con MPs who are going to lose the party whip and find their political careers coming to an end. Seems unlikely. Also a parliament that can't agree on anything doesn't seem likely to be able to agree on any candidate for PM. One can see an embarrassing series of votes for Clarke, Harman, Lucas, etc with each being defeated in turn.
    If 300 Lab and Con MPs lose the party whips the Lab and Tory parties will be in complete meltdown immediately before a GE. There is no way Corbyn could survive such a huge purge of MPs and most Labour constituency parties are strongly remain, so very few will deselect their sitting MP for having acted to avoid a No Deal Brexit.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,925
    Cyclefree said:

A must hear.

I endorse this message. It is called "Breakdown". Both fascinating and disturbing how a society can so rapidly spiral out of anyone's control.
    Cyclefree said:

Quite. He may be a “temporary PM” whilst an election is called, but once the ballots are cast and the results are known, then in a massive hung Parliament scenario he is “temporary” no more.

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

The problem with Corbyn isn’t that he is untrustworthy, it’s the things you might trust him to do.
    Same question. This differs from Boris how?
    TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

Dadge said:

Despite what Mike says, I do believe there are 10-20 Tory MPs who are willing to bring BoJo down. What they are not willing to do is put Corbyn into no. 10. But since, as you correctly point out, there aren't the numbers to do that, the rebels will think it's reasonably safe to act. (btw I bet one thing that encouraged Sarah Wollaston to join the LibDems was Jo Swinson's promise not to support a Corbyn premiership.)

Now of course all this discussion is going on because of the risk of No Deal. And a Corbyn caretaker government isn't the only game in town. I sincerely believe that if, for example, we end up having an autumn General Election, parliament will find a way to force Boris to delay Brexit.

Wrong! Wollaston tonight said Corbyn was "the lesser of two evils".
    Was she discussing him and Stalin ?
    Are you making a comparison between Brexit and Stalin? :)
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888
    viewcode said:

I told you. This is why she said she was standing down at the next election. Specifically so she could vote for Johnson in a VONC.
    Pairs off Guto Bebb I guess lol
    edited August 2019
    alex. said:

eristdoof said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Yes.
    So 4 PMs in 2 weeks?

FTPA requires VOC to be “in Her Majesty’s Govt”. Can’t put the cart before the Horse.

Johson remains PM until "Someone Else" who remains defacto PM until the GE five weeks later.

The VoNC is in "Her Majesty's Government" any VOC would state who is to be the new PM ie Government.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,312
    This is Mike's site to do what he likes with, but three successive leaders pushing the same line is starting to feel a bit monotonous.

However, to respond: it seems to me that Swinson has made an error even in purely LibDem terms - she's alienating potential tactical voters for no obvious benefit. If a VONC passes, it's clear that an attempt will be made to see if Corbyn can get a majority. If she thinks it unlikely, she doesn't have to torpedo it - the line to take is "I don't think this will work so we need a plan B". If it doesn't work, she can say I told you so, now for my plan.

As things stand, if it doesn't work she'll get the blame for it, and if subsequently No Deal happens she'll get some of the blame for that too.
    alex. said:

Cyclefree said:

Quite. He may be a “temporary PM” whilst an election is called, but once the ballots are cast and the results are known, then in a massive hung Parliament scenario he is “temporary” no more.

But if there is a GE with a hung parliament then that is the "will of the people".
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

No. I have assumed for a long time - since March, in fact when I wrote a header on this - that the ERG has won and there will be a No Deal exit.
    I, on the other hand, assumed that our politicians were not insane enough to let a No Deal Brexit happen. I then came to the reluctant conclusion that they were insane enough (or enough of them were).

My present position is that, although I hate the thought of No Deal and the damage it will do, we may have to do it in order to finally prove that the country is poorer and worse off out of the EU than in it.

And all this horsesh*t about "taking back control", "blue passports" and "sovereignty" will turn out be nothing more than cover for English Nationalists and xenophobes.

And no Leavers will have the spine to say "Oh cr*p! We were wrong"
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    There's a whole "indicative votes to decide the new PM" schtick in here somewhere. Probably.
    viewcode said:

Then she really ought to be crossing the floor. (I would say the same about any Tories planning to vote against the govt in a VONC, to be clear).
    dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

A must hear.

I endorse this message. It is called "Breakdown". Both fascinating and disturbing how a society can so rapidly spiral out of anyone's control.
    I remember watching on TV with my father. It was my political awakening. He was in despair. He remembered the Irish Civil War when he was a child. There was an infamous IRA attack on the police barracks in the town where his family lived.

And here we are 50 years later: a journalist is killed during riots and despite all the shock her killer has still not been caught and, much like then, the rest of the country does not much care about NI until it will force itself onto the PM’s agenda.
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

This is Mike's site to do what he likes with, but three successive leaders pushing the same line is starting to feel a bit monotonous.

However, to respond: it seems to me that Swinson has made an error even in purely LibDem terms - she's alienating potential tactical voters for no obvious benefit. If a VONC passes, it's clear that an attempt will be made to see if Corbyn can get a majority. If she thinks it unlikely, she doesn't have to torpedo it - the line to take is "I don't think this will work so we need a plan B". If it doesn't work, she can say I told you so, now for my plan.

As things stand, if it doesn't work she'll get the blame for it, and if subsequently No Deal happens she'll get some of the blame for that too.

I take the point, but there has to be something to be said for the decision not to pussyfoot around. Politicking for the sake of it can put voters off just as much as unwelcome honesty.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,771

There's a whole "indicative votes to decide the new PM" schtick in here somewhere. Probably.

LOL! Not more ******* "indicative votes" :D

They could just draw straws to try and find a PM. Or take it in turns on a ten day rotating basis. Why not?
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

A must hear.

I remember watching on TV with my father. It was my political awakening. He was in despair. He remembered the Irish Civil War when he was a child. There was an infamous IRA attack on the police barracks in the town where his family lived.

And here we are 50 years later: a journalist is killed during riots and despite all the shock her killer has still not been caught and, much like then, the rest of the country does not much care about NI until it will force itself onto the PM’s agenda.
    One think that struck me. I am young enough that bombs in NI were simply everyday occurrences growing up, was the use of terror by ordinary people, going down the street torching houses, one after another.
    Terrorists, and terrorism don't emerge from a vacuum.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    MaxPB said:

AndyJS said:

Will they then put Jez into power?
    If they care about stopping No Deal so much, yes.

Aren’t the Lib Dems well placed to take seats off the Tories? Not much chance of that if they’re seen as putting Corbyn into No 10.
    alex. said:

Cyclefree said:

Early in the Spanish Civil War, the Nationalist Generals were meeting to elect a Generalissimo to head the junta. Franco's former commanding officer who knew him best opposed his election and said that 'if you give him Spain, he will believe it is his and will never allow anyone to replace him'.

Once Corbyn and Momentum are in power, they will not relinquish it lightly.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,081
    eristdoof said:

alex. said:

eristdoof said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Yes.
    So 4 PMs in 2 weeks?

Johson remains PM until "Someone Else" who remains defacto PM until the GE five weeks later.

The VoNC is in "Her Majesty's Government" any VOC would state who is to be the new PM ie Government.
    No, the VOC is also in the government. No names. The wording is prescribed in the Act.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    GIN1138 said:

They could just draw straws to try and find a PM. Or take it in turns on a ten day rotating basis. Why not?
    Anything that avoids them actually going through with Brexit....
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Names?
    I wouldn't necessarily put Guto Bebb in the top 10 of potential Tory rebels.
  • Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

A must hear.

Early in 1967 [Paul] Rose became PPS to Barbara Castle, Minister of Transport. When he returned from a visit to the Six Counties, she asked why he was concerned about Northern Ireland rather than Vietnam or Rhodesia. Rose recalled: “I just looked at her with incomprehension and said: 'You’ll see when they start shooting one another.’” Two years later, she diaried her “astonishment to learn ... that British troops have moved into Derry.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/12158044/Paul-Rose-Labour-MP-obituary.html

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

I, on the other hand, assumed that our politicians were not insane enough to let a No Deal Brexit happen. I then came to the reluctant conclusion that they were insane enough (or enough of them were).

My present position is that, although I hate the thought of No Deal and the damage it will do, we may have to do it in order to finally prove that the country is poorer and worse off out of the EU than in it.

And all this horsesh*t about "taking back control", "blue passports" and "sovereignty" will turn out be nothing more than cover for English Nationalists and xenophobes.

I know a few Leave voters who have changed their minds.

But, yes, you’re right about leaders of the Leave campaign.
    Cyclefree said:

Aren’t the Lib Dems well placed to take seats off the Tories? Not much chance of that if they’re seen as putting Corbyn into No 10.
    And no chance at all until there is actually an election.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,913

Latest from Iowa

And there's a new Change Research poll out in Iowa.

There's bad news from Biden, and there's terrible news for Harris.
    Warren     28
    Sanders 17
    Biden 17
    Buttigieg 13
    Harris 8
    Booker 3
    O'Rourke 3
    This is pretty good for Sanders, who'd been around 12-13% in the last couple of polls, but it's terrible for Biden who's now 11 points adrift of Warren.

And Harris would likely get no delegates on this poll. She'd be dead and buried.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,864
    GIN1138 said:

Any of the above would be infinitely preferable to retaining the blithering prat who currently occupies the office.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2019
    As I've said several times, I don't think a VONC is going to work, for the simple reason that more than half of all MPs rightly think that Corbyn is totally unsuited to be anywhere near any lever of power (and that includes many of his own MPs), but Corbyn's support is need for to put anyone else in place. So this is all shadow-boxing.

Having said that, even in narrow terms the pundits don't seem to have quite got the hang of the mechanics of installing an alternative government. For one thing, everyone seems to have forgotten than MPs can abstain in a VONC, and several of them probably would; that needs to be factored into any estimates of numbers. For another thing, it's a VONC (and then a VOC) in a government, not a PM. Not only would MPs have to agree on a PM, they'd also have to agree on the other main roles - what parties are they going to come from?

Executive summary: it ain't gonna happen.
    I think you’re right @Richard_Nabavi.
    dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

A must hear.

One think that struck me. I am young enough that bombs in NI were simply everyday occurrences growing up, was the use of terror by ordinary people, going down the street torching houses, one after another.
    Terrorists, and terrorism don't emerge from a vacuum.
    Half a century of discrimination against a community. Britain reaped what it sowed.

The reaction amongst the avowedly anti-Brexit groups (diehard Remainers?), has been almost universally negative. Only the committed LDs seem to mounting any kind of defence.
    It seems simply mad to be ruling options out. The LDs have not had to play party political games thus far, and been able to portray themselves as the pure anti-Brexiteers. No longer it seems.
    houndtang said:

alex. said:

Cyclefree said:

Early in the Spanish Civil War, the Nationalist Generals were meeting to elect a Generalissimo to head the junta. Franco's former commanding officer who knew him best opposed his election and said that 'if you give him Spain, he will believe it is his and will never allow anyone to replace him'.

This is scaremongering nonsense. In a hung parliament, Corbyn (or anyone else) can easily be VONC'd.
    Without triggering the boring constitutional minutiae brigade too much, can’t we just Vonc the odious incompetent clown Johnson and see what happens? There are several candidates for caretaker PM who could feasibly command a Gnu. Harman is one, Clarke another, Hammond and Starmer might also carry the house.

TGOHF said:

There really are some credulous fools on here

houndtang said:

alex. said:

Cyclefree said:

This is scaremongering nonsense. In a hung parliament, Corbyn (or anyone else) can easily be VONC'd.
    Not so easily, as we are seeing.
    Cyclefree said:

Are they anti Brexit or not? If they are, it shouldn't matter whether they win or lose seats over it. Or are they anti-Brexit in certain circumstances only?
    The ERG were willing to see the Tories fall to 9% to get their way. And they seem to be winning the war.
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

A must hear.

I was a child at the time, but I remember the riots, bombs and shootings in the early Seventies, and again after the hunger strikes. I hope those days remain history.

houndtang said:

alex. said:

Cyclefree said:

Not so easily, as we are seeing.
    We aren't really seeing anything. There is no VONC because the Commons is not sitting.
    dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Are they anti Brexit or not? If they are, it shouldn't matter whether they win or lose seats over it. Or are they anti-Brexit in certain circumstances only?
    The ERG were willing to see the Tories fall to 9% to get their way. And they seem to be winning the war.
    Even if Jo had simply agreed to vote for Corbyn, it still wouldn’t have carried at present so she’s then alienating a ton of the electorate for nothing in the eventual subsequent GE.

Without triggering the boring constitutional minutiae brigade too much, can’t we just Vonc the odious incompetent clown Johnson and see what happens? There are several candidates for caretaker PM who could feasibly command a Gnu. Harman is one, Clarke another, Hammond and Starmer might also carry the house.

It is hard to see a GNU. There might be a different Conservative prime minister, though that would be hard as the party has only just elected Boris but it is possible, or a Labour minority government pledged to ask for an extension and call an election and nothing else. The GNU problem is, how do you carve up the various ministries between parties?

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Even if Jo had simply agreed to vote for Corbyn, it still wouldn’t have carried at present so she’s then alienating a ton of the electorate for nothing in the eventual subsequent GE.
    Which makes my point. You have to be prepared to alienate people. The ERG alienated plenty when No Deal was a twinkle in their eye. Besides, no one is saying that is what she had to do. She could simply have said Corbyn as PM is not our preferred option right now.
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Which makes my point. You have to be prepared to alienate people. The ERG alienated plenty when No Deal was a twinkle in their eye. Besides, no one is saying that is what she had to do. She could simply have said Corbyn as PM is not our preferred option right now.
    That’s pretty much what she has said in her subsequent statement.

The point was that Corbyn won’t be able to command a majority so what’s the point in even discussing it.
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

A must hear.

I was a child at the time, but I remember the riots, bombs and shootings in the early Seventies, and again after the hunger strikes. I hope those days remain history.
    So do I.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

I've never been convinced this argument is as persuasive to the unconverted as those who make it think it is - and the frequent conclusion that those people who disagree with it must just be slow of learning is wrong.

"In some counterfactual scenario we would be richer" is simply insufficient to persuade most people that this counterfactual is preferable. It also needs to chime with other preferences. For example, although there are some environmental regulations that make us better off (for example, by addressing negative externalities of pollution) there are others that, on net, make us poorer and less competitive. But that doesn't mean popular support to dump that legislation, because we generally prefer being greener to being somewhat richer.

If we're playing the game of "counterfactually, what political union could we join that makes us better off" then there's a country out there that conveniently speaks the same language as us and has 50% higher GDP per capita. If we became the 51st state and integrated fully with their economy, then we'd converge towards that figure. Not necessarily hit it, but compared to the worst-case scenarios banded about for Brexit, you wouldn't have to go very far in that direction to make the in/out of Europe debate look frankly trivial. If your priority really is becoming more rich/less poor, and you are prepared to commit the UK to a political union to do so, then the logical answer is Atlanticist.

Now there are strong objections to that. We don't like their constitution or gun rights or capital punishment or military exploits or politicians or accents or basically, that's just not who we are, yet if these objections are essentially restatements of identity, do they "count"? The deepest-held and most derision-heaped objections to EU membership stem from a similar, visceral place.

Every day that we are not a state of the USA, makes your grandchildren poorer. Far poorer than a day spent outside the EU.

If no alternative is found, Johnson gets to pick the date of the next election. ;)
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    rcs1000 said:

Latest from Iowa

Warren     28
    Sanders 17
    Biden 17
    Buttigieg 13
    Harris 8
    Booker 3
    O'Rourke 3
    This is pretty good for Sanders, who'd been around 12-13% in the last couple of polls, but it's terrible for Biden who's now 11 points adrift of Warren.

And Harris would likely get no delegates on this poll. She'd be dead and buried.
    On the basis of this, I could see Buttigieg ending up the standard-bearer for the not-liberals.
    rcs1000 said:

Latest from Iowa

Warren     28
    Sanders 17
    Biden 17
    Buttigieg 13
    Harris 8
    Booker 3
    O'Rourke 3

There seems to be an awful lot of churn between polls for no apparent reason, though at this distance it is easy to miss activity on the ground. The September debate is a month away but there are just two weeks left for candidates to qualify by the end of August. Until then these polls are interesting but perhaps not useful, especially as the caucus-goers might be atypical.
    It's theirs if they want it. What is Denmark going to do about it? :p

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

That’s pretty much what she has said in her subsequent statement.

The point was that Corbyn won’t be able to command a majority so what’s the point in even discussing it.
    Yes. Subsequent.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,140
    edited August 2019

That's probably not attractive from the PoV of Tory rebels, who have to go kamikaze to make the VONC pass.

They'd be more inclined to jump if there was a working gameplan for what happened next, and they may be able to use their VONC votes as leverage to get Corbyn to let someone else through as caretaker. They'd actually be better off passing a VONC+Confidence-In-X motion before the actual formal confidence motion, if such a thing is procedurally possible.
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited August 2019
    dixiedean said:

The reaction amongst the avowedly anti-Brexit groups (diehard Remainers?), has been almost universally negative. Only the committed LDs seem to mounting any kind of defence.
    It seems simply mad to be ruling options out. The LDs have not had to play party political games thus far, and been able to portray themselves as the pure anti-Brexiteers. No longer it seems.
    Today also shows how Caroline Lucas and the SNP are prepared to take cheap shots at Swinson to try and play up their remain credentials to their respective electorates. So much for a remain alliance.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,081
    Isn't Greenland the only territory to have left the EU so far?

Things are looking up. Perhaps after Brexit, Trump will want to buy the UK. Or England.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,758
    Chris said:

Isn't Greenland the only territory to have left the EU so far?

Things are looking up. Perhaps after Brexit, Trump will want to buy the UK. Or England.

Can't wait. Then we can all buy assault rifles down the local friendly gun shop B)
    Artist said:

dixiedean said:

Today also shows how Caroline Lucas and the SNP are prepared to take cheap shots at Swinson to try and play up their remain credentials to their respective electorates. So much for a remain alliance.
    One person's cheap shot is another's pointing out an obvious error.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,592
    Outstanding idea! Yes I know Trump is a twat, but run with me for a moment. Following the collapse of the Soviet Union, It was floated that the US could buy Siberia, giving the Russian Federation some much-needed foreign currency and securing US interests for decades to come if not centuries. But penny-pinching nixed that. If Trump pulls off buying Greenland it would be a historic win.
    LOL! And Jezza just stands aside because???

It's getting crazier and crazier... The "death rattle" of REMAIN?
    I never thought I would be happy to hear Harriet Harman again :open_mouth:
    Apparently 600 other MPs are 'ready to serve, if called upon'
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

A must hear.

I lived there when it was happening. It was my everyday "normal".

It is why I believe that division is harmful. I see Brexit as nothing more than "Us and Them". When I was a kid, that killed people.

... snip!

Every day that we are not a state of the USA, makes your grandchildren poorer. Far poorer than a day spent outside the EU.

No,

The USA is great if you are white and have money. For everyone else it is long hours, little job security and poor healthcare.

It might be your dream for the kids, but I want better for mine. We have it already and we are throwing it away.
    MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Latest from Iowa

Warren     28
    Sanders 17
    Biden 17
    Buttigieg 13
    Harris 8
    Booker 3
    O'Rourke 3

On the basis of this, I could see Buttigieg ending up the standard-bearer for the not-liberals.
    Any of the lacklustre defeated Democrat candidates of the last 35 years could win this election (Kerry, Gore, Dukakis, Mondale). Yet they have literally no one even of that calibre.

I've never been convinced this argument is as persuasive to the unconverted as those who make it think it is - and the frequent conclusion that those people who disagree with it must just be slow of learning is wrong.

"In some counterfactual scenario we would be richer" is simply insufficient to persuade most people that this counterfactual is preferable. It also needs to chime with other preferences. For example, although there are some environmental regulations that make us better off (for example, by addressing negative externalities of pollution) there are others that, on net, make us poorer and less competitive. But that doesn't mean popular support to dump that legislation, because we generally prefer being greener to being somewhat richer.

If we're playing the game of "counterfactually, what political union could we join that makes us better off" then there's a country out there that conveniently speaks the same language as us and has 50% higher GDP per capita. If we became the 51st state and integrated fully with their economy, then we'd converge towards that figure. Not necessarily hit it, but compared to the worst-case scenarios banded about for Brexit, you wouldn't have to go very far in that direction to make the in/out of Europe debate look frankly trivial. If your priority really is becoming more rich/less poor, and you are prepared to commit the UK to a political union to do so, then the logical answer is Atlanticist.

Now there are strong objections to that. We don't like their constitution or gun rights or capital punishment or military exploits or politicians or accents or basically, that's just not who we are, yet if these objections are essentially restatements of identity, do they "count"? The deepest-held and most derision-heaped objections to EU membership stem from a similar, visceral place.

Were we to do so, it is likely that our voting power inside USA would see their worst excesses curbed. The path to a Republican win in the House would be near insurmountable. All but the mildest Centrist President too. Gun laws are set at State level and lower, though rendered largely ineffectual by neighbouring States, so we wouldn't get that. Death penalty too. Wisconsin has never executed anybody.
    houndtang said:

Apparently 600 other MPs are 'ready to serve, if called upon'
    I'm sure Mark Francois is ready to serve if called upon! :D
    Cyclefree said:

In the event of a No Deal Brexit, there would be two groups of Leavers who would change their minds very quickly.

1) Livestock farmers - when they find that WTO tariffs destroy their business

2) Fishermen - who will find out that when OUR govt sold the fishing rights, the EU had nothing to do with it. Those rights will stay sold and our fishermen will lose their EU markets.

And then there are our other businesses which are mostly unprepared for No Deal because they were assured it was a million to one event.

Interesting times ahead.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,913
    houndtang said:

MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Latest from Iowa

Warren     28
    Sanders 17
    Biden 17
    Buttigieg 13
    Harris 8
    Booker 3
    O'Rourke 3

Any of the lacklustre defeated Democrat candidates of the last 35 years could win this election (Kerry, Gore, Dukakis, Mondale). Yet they have literally no one even of that calibre.
    Really?

Kerry and Gore were snorefests. They were the Bidens of their time.

And I don't remember Kerry being any more impressive in Obama's cabinet than Warren. In fact, while I'm no Warren fan, she has a pretty impressive record.

Plus, Buttigieg has something. He's scary smart, scary ariculate. Plus, he manages to be a religious veteran, who's also gay. I think he's worth a flutter here.
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Cyclefree said:

In the event of a No Deal Brexit, there would be two groups of Leavers who would change their minds very quickly.

2) Fishermen - who will find out that when OUR govt sold the fishing rights, the EU had nothing to do with it. Those rights will stay sold and our fishermen will lose their EU markets.

And then there are our other businesses which are mostly unprepared for No Deal because they were assured it was a million to one event.

Interesting times ahead.
    on your point 1) there is no such thing as WTO tariffs. Each country or customs block lodges there tariff schedules at the WTO. So can you explain what you mean here?

2) what do you mean by sold the fishing rights?

Cyclefree said:

Interesting times ahead.
    on your point 1) there is no such thing as WTO tariffs. Each country or customs block lodges there tariff schedules at the WTO. So can you explain what you mean here?

2) was indeed confusing. How are the rights sold if there is no deal?
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,928
    Con hold in Shrewsbury but big swing to Lib Dems,
  • Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

Cyclefree said:

Interesting times ahead.

She is right on 1). She means the WTO tariffs other countries place on our exports.

She is wrong on 2). The UK is capable of returning fiahing rights from the EU.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,765
    With all the recent accelerated icecap melting, is anyone surprised he sees it an opportunity to acquire real estate?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,930
    houndtang said:

MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Latest from Iowa

Warren     28
    Sanders 17
    Biden 17
    Buttigieg 13
    Harris 8
    Booker 3
    O'Rourke 3

No they wouldn't, Trump would beat all of those bores just as he beat Hillary.

Bill Clinton might have beaten Trump, as might Obama but like him or loathe him Trump is probably the most charismatic candidate the GOP have had since Reagan and the Democrats will need someone special to beat him
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Gabs2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Interesting times ahead.

She is right on 1). She means the WTO tariffs other countries place on our exports.

She is wrong on 2). The UK is capable of returning fiahing rights from the EU.
    We import 40% of food into the UK. If we put a serious tariffs on imports, apart from food price inflation, good for local farmers cash flow and P&L, why would they go bust. They would have a captive market for their produce.

It all depends on what the Govt do and the Boris Govt has not said what they would do at this point in time.
This discussion has been closed.