Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Elizabeth Warren soars ahead in the Democratic nomination bett

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited August 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Elizabeth Warren soars ahead in the Democratic nomination betting after a poll puts her 11% ahead in Iowa

Betdata.io chart of past three months on Betfair Exchange

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited August 2019
    First like Pocahontas.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    Looks like Warren for the Democratic nomination but Trump for re election in my view
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    FPT: I wish we had a government with some sense of direction. We’ve been rudderless for three years now.
    https://twitter.com/georgetrefgarne/status/1162291220292526080?s=21
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    Fourth like Labour
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Weirdest graffiti I've seen is quite recent- lots of messages saying 'help others'.

There is graffiti on the A38 passing Quedgeley which invites people to 'bun the Tories.'
    Seems like it would take a lot of work frankly. And reminiscent of how Tories enjoy babies - on a bun, preferably with ketchup.

• Options
    Only seen on tv, she looks pretty good, has some measure of gravitas. But with american races it seems near everyone gets their moment some I'll wait.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    The online caucus scares me, at least for betting purposes. It would seem to massively lower the barrier to participation.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Weirdest graffiti I've seen is quite recent- lots of messages saying 'help others'.

There is graffiti on the A38 passing Quedgeley which invites people to 'bun the Tories.'
    Seems like it would take a lot of work frankly. And reminiscent of how Tories enjoy babies - on a bun, preferably with ketchup.

When we were kids (mid-late 80s) there was some bizarre graffiti in Nelson, South Wales, which stayed there for years, next to the famous handball court. It has become more bizarre in latter years given what's transpired since. It read "ROLF HARRIS IS A C*NT".

I have no explanation.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

The Tories already have ample sauce.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962
    There is at least one Ross Thomson parody twitter account out there. This isn't it.

https://twitter.com/RossThomson_MP/status/1161987978555789315?s=20
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902
    edited August 2019
    Hold on, wasn't Kamala Harris the great white hope only a few weeks back ?

I think Warren's chances are probably about correct at the moment on this chart but Biden and Sanders are both underrated still.

Too much credit for Harris, Yang, Gabbard and most ridiculously of all Clinton in the betting still.
  • Options

FPT: I wish we had a government with some sense of direction. We’ve been rudderless for three years now.

Allowing British Steel to be private, absolutely she may have.

6.5% interest on student loans is ludicrous and unjustifiable though.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Pulpstar said:

I think Warren's chances are probably about correct at the moment on this chart but Biden and Sanders are both underrated still.

Too much credit for Harris, Yang, Gabbard and most ridiculously of all Clinton in the betting still.

I think Trump has a great chance against Warren if it comes to it in the General and have shaped my book to reflect that compared to the old men in the race.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    I see Harman and Clarke are "open" to leading a caretaker government.

In other news of equal relevance, i am open to batting for England in the third test.

FFS
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,108
    Warren does look a formidable candidate. Wonder who her running mate will be if she gets it?
  • Options
    A tie in the Electoral college looks prima facie plausible this time round : https://www.270towin.com/maps/lwQnE

Pennsylvania and Arizona look like the key stats to me.
  • Options
    Harman and Clarke is a dream ticket.
    Of course they can’t be seen to be openly touting for the role...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

In other news of equal relevance, i am open to batting for England in the third test.

FFS

Well, it's hard to imagine you could do a much worse job than Jason Roy is doing.
  • Options

FFS

In this great big mess some preposterous things might well end up happening. That one probably not, but it's not as crazy as it should be.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited August 2019
    National Grid to produce less than 49.5 hertz

Yes 13/10
    No 4/9

(smarkets)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Warren does look a formidable candidate. Wonder who her running mate will be if she gets it?

I think Buttigieg makes sense.
  • Options
    Will the UK parliament be officially prorogued in 2019?

Yes 10/3
    No 2/15

(smarkets)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    FPT
    DavidL said:

In other news this is a bit of a fiasco: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-49370082

The Scottish government has nationalised a ship yard that is building 2 ferries for Cal Mac. The ship yard has gone insolvent because of cost overruns on the ferries that they maintain have been caused by numerous variations of contract by Cal Mac. They claim to be due an additional £40m or so. This is disputed but the company is unable to have these claims resolved in a timescale consistent with its survival.

The owner of Cal Mac is...the Scottish government. So they are now on both sides of this contract and will bear directly or indirectly all of the losses occasioned by it. A truly brilliant use of public money, no doubt. And the private sector in Scotland shrinks just that bit more.

WE need those ferries David, peanuts compared to the likes of crossrail , Boris bridges , DUP bribes , etc
  • Options
    kle4 said:

FFS

In this great big mess some preposterous things might well end up happening. That one probably not, but it's not as crazy as it should be.
    Why is it crazy?
    Clarke has been touted as a GONU PM for several years now.
  • Options

Yes 13/10
    No 4/9

(smarkets)

Aside from the 12% overround does 49.5 hertz hold some special significance in power generation ?
  • Options
    EC tie is well possible this time : https://www.270towin.com/maps/lwQnE
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited August 2019

Yes 13/10
    No 4/9

(smarkets)

Over what timeframe?

IIRC the frequency wobbles quite a bit as the load varies, and the requirement is only that it averages 50Hz over some period like 24 hours
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    kle4 said:

FFS

You think? I have had 4 fifties this year so maybe...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,129
    malcolmg said:

FPT
    DavidL said:

In other news this is a bit of a fiasco: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-49370082

The Scottish government has nationalised a ship yard that is building 2 ferries for Cal Mac. The ship yard has gone insolvent because of cost overruns on the ferries that they maintain have been caused by numerous variations of contract by Cal Mac. They claim to be due an additional £40m or so. This is disputed but the company is unable to have these claims resolved in a timescale consistent with its survival.

The owner of Cal Mac is...the Scottish government. So they are now on both sides of this contract and will bear directly or indirectly all of the losses occasioned by it. A truly brilliant use of public money, no doubt. And the private sector in Scotland shrinks just that bit more.

WE need those ferries David, peanuts compared to the likes of crossrail , Boris bridges , DUP bribes , etc

Then perhaps Cal Mac should have paid for them instead of driving a company out of business.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes 13/10
    No 4/9

(smarkets)

Aside from the 12% overround does 49.5 hertz hold some special significance in power generation ?
    They promise to deliver 50 hertz. Apparently they are struggling to fulfil.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,371
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

The Tories already have ample sauce.
    But remain deeply unpalatable.
  • Options

Completely agree. May's (and Hammond's government) was a disaster. If they hadn't done so much on Brexit they would have done nothing of note at all.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes 13/10
    No 4/9

(smarkets)

anything below 50 can give issues on lots of kit if you don't have smoothing
  • Options

kle4 said:

FFS

Why is it crazy?
    Clarke has been touted as a GONU PM for several years now.
    Crazy only in the sense that MPs have failed to make a decision and therefore that a GONU even needs to be contemplated at this very late stage.
  • Options
    New market: next GE - Bermondsey and Old Southwark (Lab Maj Neil Coyle MP 12,972)

LD 5/6
    Lab 5/6
    Con 100/1

(Shadsy)
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    kinabalu said:

It has to be from the Rust Belt. PA, WI, MI, OH. Sen. Sherrod Brown ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DavidL said:

Then perhaps Cal Mac should have paid for them instead of driving a company out of business.
    They would have had to get money from Scottish government and it would have had unionists howling that it was state aid etc. Tory idea of just letting the workers lose their jobs and the ferries rot was not a viable solution.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

The spot frequency varies all the time.

In theory if they are slow during heavy load, they can wind it up off-peak.

The issue with that theory assumes the generation is still running off-peak (like nuclear, not solar)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes 13/10
    No 4/9

(smarkets)

Grid frequency is a pretty good proxy for the balance between generated supply and demand - a drop in frequency indicating an excess of demand over supply.

The automatic cutout systems, designed to prevent wholesale blackouts, are therefore designed to respond to big drops in frequency.
  • Options
    New market: next GE - St Albans (Con Maj Anne Main MP 6,109)

LD 5/6
    Con 5/6
    Lab 50/1

(Shadsy)
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Pulpstar said:

Whatever you think about Harris or Warren, I think we can all agree its great to have 2 BAME candidates right up there.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DavidL said:

They would have had to get money from Scottish government and it would have had unionists howling that it was state aid etc. Tory idea of just letting the workers lose their jobs and the ferries rot was not a viable solution.
    You think that the money that the Scottish government would have had to put up is anything like what they are going to end up spending now? And what exactly are we going to do with this ship yard once the ferries are built?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Warren led in a recent Wisconsin poll.

Such VP theorising is premature.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DavidL said:

There is no need to panic - look at the wonderful success the SNP has made of Prestwick Airport after it was taken into government hands.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

He's certainly quite articulate and logical.... :smile:
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Pulpstar said:

Whatever you think about Harris or Warren, I think we can all agree its great to have 2 BAME candidates right up there.
    :D
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DavidL said:

You think that the money that the Scottish government would have had to put up is anything like what they are going to end up spending now? And what exactly are we going to do with this ship yard once the ferries are built?
    WE need plenty more ferries in short term and will need small navy ships in longer term
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The yard will be needed to build the new Vital Spark for the Independent Navy...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I think Trump has a great chance against Warren if it comes to it in the General and have shaped my book to reflect that compared to the old men in the race.
    Trump being one of those.

And I think he'd struggle against her, having already shot his bolt and failed to kill off her political career.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

FFS

The last Harriet to be Prime Minister led the country into a new golden age after taking the job in an emergency situation.

A good omen?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_Jones
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DavidL said:

There is no need to panic - look at the wonderful success the SNP has made of Prestwick Airport after it was taken into government hands.

Best airport in Scotland for sure. Saw a nice Antonov and a 747 there yesterday.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Ah yes Sherrod Brown ! That's a collective twenty quid or so the pb.com cocktail fund in't getting back.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

FFS

The last Harriet to be Prime Minister led the country into a new golden age after taking the job in an emergency situation.

A good omen?

Harperson would be a disaster.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

The yard will be needed to build the new Vital Spark for the Independent Navy...
    Sure it will leak less than UK carriers and be quieter than Type 45's for sure.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DavidL said:

Best airport in Scotland for sure. Saw a nice Antonov and a 747 there yesterday.
    Yes - zero queues and none of the hideous crowds one faces at Edinburgh or even Inverness.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DavidL said:

Yes - zero queues and none of the hideous crowds one faces at Edinburgh or even Inverness.
    Great for departures and has its own station , no need for taxis, buses or other such crap, and it never closes with weather.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, that would be nicely balanced as to gender and ethnicity.

See 'Maaarsh' beat me to the joke but never mind.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Trump being one of those.

And I think he'd struggle against her, having already shot his bolt and failed to kill off her political career.
    Hmm dunno, her head to head polling looks weakish to me for quite a well known Democrat figure. I'll take an outsize nomination win then have an underwater presidential book if its her anyway.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

LD 5/6
    Con 5/6
    Lab 50/1

(Shadsy)

The Lib Dem price there looks a steal.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

FFS

A good omen?

Harperson would be a disaster.
    Why when all she has to do is seek an extension and call an election?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Looks like Warren for the Democratic nomination but Trump for re election in my view

Fox News says you are wrong....
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/457645-fox-news-poll-shows-trump-losing-to-biden-warren-sanders-and-harris
  • Options
    Humiliations of Ruth Davidson and Richard Leonard show Scottish unionists are expendable

Alliance with Scotland was necessary back then for security as the Empire was being forged. It’s not in the new globalised world they now seek to operate in, under the wing, if not the vassalage, of the USA. Despite the warnings of party grandees of both left and right, the Union’s falling apart and they just don’t care. They neither have strategic interest in, nor sentiment for, their unionist allies.

Rather than growing in stature with devolution, the Scottish wings of English parties have shrunk in influence. Even establishing separate Scottish parties won’t be enough to save them. For it’s the interests of England that now matter and that set the agenda.

Scottish outliers and representatives will be as irrelevant and expendable as once were the Irish Ascendancy and the American Loyalists. They’ve not yet been abandoned, but it’s certainly been made clear who’ll decide upon their fate. And it won’t be for them to choose their destiny.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/columnists/kenny-macaskill-humiliations-of-ruth-davidson-and-richard-leonard-show-unionists-are-expendable-1-4983522
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Pulpstar said:

The market is totally irrational. Harris being at 3.5 and Biden at 7.8 a few weeks ago was just silly
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2019
    This is Elizabeth Warren's famous "beer with my husband" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWehvtOL_VI
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/457645-fox-news-poll-shows-trump-losing-to-biden-warren-sanders-and-harris
    You should know by now that HYUFD only pays attention to those polls that agree with his meme.
  • Options

Thatcher never privatised ANYTHING between 1979 and 1990. NO sirree!
  • Options

LD 5/6
    Con 5/6
    Lab 50/1

(Shadsy)

I must say I’m surprised it’s so long. There is a huge (13,137) Labour vote to eat into, plus nearly 1000 Green votes. The Tories look screwed here.

(On paper. I have zero local knowledge.)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Biden has a 12 pt lead in the same polling that Warren has a 6 pt lead ? Once you've added in the west coast bias and a bit of polling error, 6 pts is no lead at all really. And this is one of Warren's stronger H2H polls - she's been even or just a couple ahead of Trump in previous which is a Trump EC win.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DavidL said:

Inverness Airport was pretty quiet back in July.
  • Options

LD 5/6
    Con 5/6
    Lab 50/1

(Shadsy)

I thought the Lib Dems believe they are the alternative government. They are just tying with the Tories in St.Albans ?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    A question for Labour supporters. If there is a voncin Boris, followed by a vonc in Corbyn (with LDs voncing him), should Corbyn vote against Harriet Harman who is proposing the same "extend a50 then call election" programme as he did?

What's his excuse to vote against her in this case? With the knowledge that Boris will remain PM in the upcoming GE surely he should support Harman even if he is bitter about being rejected?

I think he can get away with voncing a Tory, even Ken Clarke, but I don't see how he justifies voncing Harman once he has lost his own vote. What will be his excuse to vonc Harman without losing his own credibility?

It's advantage Swinson simply because her "test" comes first, and what she does puts the ball in Corbyns court.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

The spot frequency varies all the time.

In theory if they are slow during heavy load, they can wind it up off-peak.

The issue with that theory assumes the generation is still running off-peak (like nuclear, not solar)
    I don't know about nowadays but any spikes used to cause issues with mainframes etc back in the days when I was an engineer. They would only tolerate a small movement.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

You should know by now that HYUFD only pays attention to those polls that agree with his meme.
    HY can even quote a poll as support, and then when another PBer cites different stats from the exact same poll, he calls it “rubbish”.

You rarely get folk so blind to their own in-built bias.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,248
    edited August 2019
    I'd say lay anyone at implied probability over 30% (which isn't Warren yet, but may be very soon).

It remains a big field, and there are too many twists to come in this. Someone will have a "moment" in the September debates. Someone will have an Autumn scandal. Someone will outperform expectations in Iowa. And so on, and so on.

That's not to say one of the front-runners won't win... they probably will. But there is money to be made on the roller-coaster on the way there... if Warren does come through, say, she'll very probably have periods when she's well under 30%.
  • Options

LD 5/6
    Con 5/6
    Lab 50/1

(Shadsy)

I thought the Lib Dems believe they are the alternative government. They are just tying with the Tories in St.Albans ?
    Surely that's why Alastair is saying they are a steal at that price?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DavidL said:

Prestwick has 3 flights a day.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,202
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,248
    edited August 2019

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HY can even quote a poll as support, and then when another PBer cites different stats from the exact same poll, he calls it “rubbish”.

You rarely get folk so blind to their own in-built bias.
    I'd dispute your second paragraph. It's not at all rare to get folk that blind to their own biases - it's commonplace.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Such theorizing is premature is a PB motto.
  • Options
    I don’t comment on US politics.
    Except to say, Warren all the way.

Biden is too deluded. Harris is too robot. Buttigieg is too green. Sanders is too Sanders.

Sure Warren has negatives.
    But it feels we all need a Warren in the White House right now.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Pulpstar said:

The market is totally irrational. Harris being at 3.5 and Biden at 7.8 a few weeks ago was just silly
    It certainly was !

LD 5/6
    Con 5/6
    Lab 50/1

(Shadsy)

No, the Lib Dems are likely miles ahead there.

"Trading team" is having a good think about my £50 on the Lib Dems there. Allowed £30.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Biden has a 12 pt lead in the same polling that Warren has a 6 pt lead ? Once you've added in the west coast bias and a bit of polling error, 6 pts is no lead at all really. And this is one of Warren's stronger H2H polls - she's been even or just a couple ahead of Trump in previous which is a Trump EC win.
    Just winding HY up - I don't put a great deal of importance in the general election polling at this stage.

This was quite an interesting observation, though.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/elizabeth-warrens-populism-for-professionals
    Warren is the only candidate in the race whose fortunes have materially improved over the past six months, which suggests that the vein she’s found has less to do with what is permanent within the Democratic electorate than with what is changing. When Rakich analyzed polling data from Emerson College last month, he found that Warren, alone among the major contenders, drew support from voters who were split almost evenly between Sanders and Clinton in 2016...

If she can display the odd bit of skepticism towards the left of the party in order to reassure the centre, I think she'd be in with a very good chance.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited August 2019
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DavidL said:

Repair the defects?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Well, 'Who dares, wins' doesn't have the greatest track record in politics...
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DavidL said:

You expect Cal Mac to bear all the financial costs and risks until this complex contractual dispute is resolved? - sounds most unlawyer-like.
  • Options
    matt said:

Repair the defects?

Now, now, just cos the "greatest bridge in the Worrrrrrld" isn't finished yet, 2 years after it opened, no reason to assume the ships will be as badly screwed together...
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Well, 'Who dares, wins' doesn't have the greatest track record in politics...
    If a person makes enough predictions then at least one will stick. Guess which one will be brought up as evidence of excellent judgement.....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320

A question for Labour supporters. If there is a voncin Boris, followed by a vonc in Corbyn (with LDs voncing him), should Corbyn vote against Harriet Harman who is proposing the same "extend a50 then call election" programme as he did?

What's his excuse to vote against her in this case? With the knowledge that Boris will remain PM in the upcoming GE surely he should support Harman even if he is bitter about being rejected?

I think he can get away with voncing a Tory, even Ken Clarke, but I don't see how he justifies voncing Harman once he has lost his own vote. What will be his excuse to vonc Harman without losing his own credibility?

It's advantage Swinson simply because her "test" comes first, and what she does puts the ball in Corbyns court.

I think that if Johnson and Corbyn are VONC'd we should indeed endorse a limited mandate for Harman, but I think she'd be VONC'd too (more Tory support, but less Labour Leaver support). It is possible that we have a problem without a solution here, just as Johnson and Cummings hope.

But for an alternative to work, a good starting point is that we don't all rubbish each others' prospects before they're even tried, in the hope that people will then rally behind our preferred alternative. The weakness of Swinson's position is that she vacillates between implying that she'd be up for a Corbyn caretaker government on the right conditions (but "sadly" thinks it won't work) or she'd be against it (even if it would work). My impression is that she thinks the latter, which is why it's what first came out, but has been advised that she needs to pretend the former.

The LibDem and Green leaders in my patch have written with me jointly to the Guardian to urge consideration of Corbyn's proposals without preconditions. Give it an honest try; if it doesn't work, then we'll look at alternatives and see if they might.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Which one would be Prime and which one Minister?
  • Options
    felix said:

There is no constitutional impediment to a duumvirate.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Nigelb said:

It IS premature but something about that photo the other day - Kamala hugging the Professor so tightly - the first thing it said to me was Mother/Daughter and from this it is no great stretch to arrive at what it is most definitely far too early to be speculating about.

Trump/Pence vs Warren/Harris.

That would be awesome. Movie material even. Casting writes itself -

Donald Trump - Danny Devito
    Mike Pence - Denzil Washington
    Elizabeth Warren - Dame Maggie Smith
    Kamala Harris - Beyonce
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

There is no constitutional impediment to a duumvirate.
    One less u and you're on the money!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DavidL said:

Prestwick has 3 flights a day.
    Dear Dear Harry, I just looked and 8 in and 8 out today , use those fingers and man up.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

matt said:

Repair the defects?

Now, now, just cos the "greatest bridge in the Worrrrrrld" isn't finished yet, 2 years after it opened, no reason to assume the ships will be as badly screwed together...
    What a tool, typical unionist raging because it was finished in time and under budget unlike UK budgets where the overruns cost more than the Scottish project.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

What a tool, typical unionist raging because it was finished in time and under budget unlike UK budgets where the overruns cost more than the Scottish project.

It's no finished

Long tailbacks caused by finishing work on the Queensferry Crossing will stretch beyond its second birthday, a motoring group fears.

Evening commuters have reported mile-long queues as contractors step up remaining tasks to complete the £1.35 billion bridge, which opened in August 2017.

The work is not scheduled to end until October and Transport Scotland has now revealed the builders will not be completely clear of the crossing until December.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/angry-commuters-bemoan-queensferry-crossing-chaos-1-4939375
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

I think that if Johnson and Corbyn are VONC'd we should indeed endorse a limited mandate for Harman, but I think she'd be VONC'd too (more Tory support, but less Labour Leaver support). It is possible that we have a problem without a solution here, just as Johnson and Cummings hope.

But for an alternative to work, a good starting point is that we don't all rubbish each others' prospects before they're even tried, in the hope that people will then rally behind our preferred alternative. The weakness of Swinson's position is that she vacillates between implying that she'd be up for a Corbyn caretaker government on the right conditions (but "sadly" thinks it won't work) or she'd be against it (even if it would work). My impression is that she thinks the latter, which is why it's what first came out, but has been advised that she needs to pretend the former.

The LibDem and Green leaders in my patch have written with me jointly to the Guardian to urge consideration of Corbyn's proposals without preconditions. Give it an honest try; if it doesn't work, then we'll look at alternatives and see if they might.
    FWIW a number of Lib Dems in my local anti-Brexit whatsapp group agree that Corbyn's proposal should not be rejected out of hand - comments about Swinson's reaction have been negative.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

It's no finished

Long tailbacks caused by finishing work on the Queensferry Crossing will stretch beyond its second birthday, a motoring group fears.

Evening commuters have reported mile-long queues as contractors step up remaining tasks to complete the £1.35 billion bridge, which opened in August 2017.

The work is not scheduled to end until October and Transport Scotland has now revealed the builders will not be completely clear of the crossing until December.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/angry-commuters-bemoan-queensferry-crossing-chaos-1-4939375
    Rubbish, you ever heard of Maintenance. Is there any road, rail or bridge in England that is maintenance free. Why are you such a lickspittle for Westminster. Did you get your pigtails pulled at school.
This discussion has been closed.