Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Woodcock is right: Remain’s grand strategy is so muddled as to

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited August 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Woodcock is right: Remain’s grand strategy is so muddled as to not exist

Boris Johnson’s Brexit plan is commendably clear: leave on 31 October without a deal. The clarity might be the only thing that’s commendable about it and it leaves many questions open about what happens into November and beyond but on the central point of Britain’s EU membership, the issue would be closed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    edited August 2019
    First! (Edit: But subsequently relegated).
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    edited August 2019
    First. Chronologically.

The other one was obviously closer to the server, or on Totnes Time. Or it was rigged by MI5. Or something.

• Options
    Excellent and logical article Mr Herdson.

An extension without a clear purpose is the worst possible scenario, it just wastes all the stockpiling and preparations people have done for now while making them become necessary in the future and changing absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    A depressing header....Time to look for something more left field. There's always a way
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    edited August 2019
    Very good article David.

If you have no strategy, tactics are pointless. The only way to avoid a No Deal Brexit is to vote for the Deal but that opportunity was rejected three times.

The fools!

The end result of all this is that we will get a No Deal Brexit, something desired only by the loony right and the loony far Left. Who knew that it would be the Tories who would finally enact a key part of Labour’s 1983 (“longest suicide note in history”) manifesto? Corbyn must be delighted.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Can't believe you missed out the line "So when does a TANDA become a PANDA?" TSE would never have missed that....

I think this article puts up more barriers than are there in truth, and reminds of the similar articles about how Theresa May couldn't call an election in 2017 due to the Fixed Term Parliaments Act. When it came to it, she asked for it in the morning, got it in the afternoon, job done.

Parliament has always done the minimum required to absolutely guarantee that there won't be a No-Deal and I don't see that changing. Thing is, I reckon that's what Boris is relying on without wanting to get his hands dirty. If we have to go over the cliff, it'll be his fault and his alone; nothing that ever happens is the Oppositions fault.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    David’s article is excellent but it misses the obvious conclusion: the only thing that commands a majority is kicking the can, as David says. So that is what will happen.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    edited August 2019
    tpfkar said:

Can't believe you missed out the line "So when does a TANDA become a PANDA?" TSE would never have missed that....

I think this article puts up more barriers than are there in truth, and reminds of the similar articles about how Theresa May couldn't call an election in 2017 due to the Fixed Term Parliaments Act. When it came to it, she asked for it in the morning, got it in the afternoon, job done.

Parliament has always done the minimum required to absolutely guarantee that there won't be a No-Deal and I don't see that changing. Thing is, I reckon that's what Boris is relying on without wanting to get his hands dirty. If we have to go over the cliff, it'll be his fault and his alone; nothing that ever happens is the Oppositions fault.

The minimum required to avoid no deal is to pass the deal. It's so easy you would expect even Richard Burgon or Chris Grayling to get it eventually.

The maximum is for the Commons to pass a resolution revoking Article 50.

Those are the only alternatives to no deal left now. An extension would almost certainly be vetoed and there is no time for an election.

At the moment neither seems probable.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,621
    Counter intuitively this makes me think the chances of remain are increasing, because while they are currently and could remain confused and divided enough for no deal to happen, we're also closing on on the event such that some of them must be thinking through the scenarios in similar fashion, and at least some may then crack and accept someone else's plan.

I'd still put no deal as favourite for all the reasons listed in the header, but some of them surely will come to see that they have to pick an option soon, and the working through options that we are seeing in silly season is part of that last desperate flailing.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152

David’s article is excellent but it misses the obvious conclusion: the only thing that commands a majority is kicking the can, as David says. So that is what will happen.

Why would the EU agree to the can being kicked again?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,040

But surely Mr Johnson cannot kick the can past 31st October. If he does his carnival is over.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited August 2019
    Not one of David Herdson’s better pieces.

I sense David’s frustration at the lack of something clearcut about the long-term future. But the Brexit sands are shifting on an almost daily basis so there’s nothing surprising, or indeed wrong, with a flexible approach. Nor do I accept his premise that there has to be a final goal in place now before stopping the immediate catastrophe of a No Deal exit. That is a non sequitur and fatally flawed.

But perhaps the biggest fault with this piece is the one with which his ‘game through’ (argh what an execrable term) begins. Boris Johnson will not simply ‘resign’ because he sees an extension of A50 coming. That’s a frankly absurd suggestion, not least because under the FTPA it will achieve absolutely nothing. Johnson resigning doesn’t precipitate a General Election. It’s getting wearisome the number of people who have evidently never bothered to read and assimilate the FTPA.

Article 50 will be extended by a Parliament which is implacably opposed to No Deal. The route to this will be legislation. Herdson seems tacitly to accept this in his rather muddled arguments.

That there is not, yet, a clear solution to the future beyond the extension is irrelevant. Yes, we could elect an entirely Remainer Parliament. Yes, we could have a 2nd Referendum. Yes both are solutions. The composition of the post General Election Parliament is a red herring for now.

The immediate task in hand is quite properly to extend Article 50. That’s not ‘kicking the can’. It’s saving the nation from cataclysm.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

But surely Mr Johnson cannot kick the can past 31st October. If he does his carnival is over.
    Is that a reference to Dia de Muertos?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2019
    FPT
    rcs1000 said:

It is entirely logical stamp duty should be paid by the seller, who is making a profit in the sale and not the purchaser who is already burdened by needing a deposit. If the seller increases the sale price by the amount of the tax [as they likely will], then the mortgage will cover almost all of that.

I thought you studied economics?

It doesn't matter whether it is paid by the borrower or the seller.
    If it doesn't matter whether it is paid by the seller or borrower then it should be paid by the seller. For the same reason as PAYE being paid by the employer makes sense.

The seller has a lump sum of cash when the sale completes. Taking it out of the seller means it is automatic and never really saved or spent by anyone.

Taking it from the borrower means they need to have the cash up front, you are front-loading the borrowers expenditure and they have to save it real terms. If the seller charges it to the borrower in the sale price, then yes it is the same to the government but the mortgage covers a large proportion of it. It takes the borrowers expenditure from being up front along with the deposit to being in the future.

Example: House sale at £300k, not a first time buyer, buyer getting a mortgage with a 20% deposit.
    Deposit: £60,000
    Stamp Duty: £5,000
    Total up front: £65,000

Alternate: House sale of £305k, not a first time buyer, 20% deposit, no buyers stamp duty.
    Deposit: £61,000
    Total up front: £61,000
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    edited August 2019
    It all comes down to Labour MPs, and Conservative MPs.

If Boris Johnson isn't willing to bring back the deal (possibly with a fig leaf) then a Con-Lab collaboration to install Clarke or Harman as PM is* the only way to extend the situation rather than leave with no deal.

Miss Cyclefree, if the Commons musters the numbers, and the will, to toss Johnson overboard just months into his premiership, for the express purpose of avoiding a no deal departure, the odds on us actually remaining would shorten dramatically. The EU would vastly prefer our substantially annual financial contribution to not having it, not to mention easy access to our market.

Edited extra bit: *would seem to be.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

We know some of them are reluctant but it comes down to what is easier for them too. They were apparently prepared for no deal last time too, and wanted us to make up our minds before an extension and yet on that minor score they did crack and extended even though we had no plan.

However prepared they are, however frustrated, is it easier to kick the can? Does it leave open the hope we come grovelling back?
  • Options

It wasn't but it could be apt for Boris come November 1st and we still haven't left.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Cyclefree said:

The alternative would be to throw Ireland under the bus.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Geek joke: actually Boris has got till Christmas because OCT 31 = DEC 25.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Geopolitically, it is better for the EU if the U.K. is inside the Union.

I think that goes for each of them EU 27 too, with the possible exception of France where I could argue it either way.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    edited August 2019

Article 50 will be extended by a Parliament which is implacably opposed to No Deal. The route to this will be legislation. Herdson seems tacitly to accept this in his rather muddled arguments.

The House of Commons cannot unilaterally extend Article 50. The EU Council has to agree. And as Boris Johnson is a member of that council he could actually still veto it.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

An extension without a clear purpose is the worst possible scenario, it just wastes all the stockpiling and preparations people have done for now while making them become necessary in the future and changing absolutely nothing.

The stockpiling and preparations are a waste full stop.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

That is the risk: as I’ve said before, I see the chief risk of no deal coming from the EU side.

That would be the one but that would be a happy ending.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,557
    Ishmael_Z said:

Let's not hex things eh?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

That is the risk: as I’ve said before, I see the chief risk of no deal coming from the EU side.

Cyclefree said:

That is the risk: as I’ve said before, I see the chief risk of no deal coming from the EU side
    I know some say that they want us gone now but the majority seem to accept that they would prefer we stay, even if just for monetary reasons, but if I were them I would seriously have to consider whether remain is going to ever happen if we are not clearly on the path to remain by Oct 31. They may want remain to win and accept that required playing the long game but do they have confidence that an extension will do more than just prolong the agony?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Not necessaily! Introducing the Prime Minister of England and Wales, let's hear a huge round of applause for Sir Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,960
    Ishmael_Z said:

Is there any point continuing this thread now? :D
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,333
    As the ex-Lab, now-Ind, MP John Woodcock rightly pointed out, no-one’s really come up with a credible grand strategy that thinks beyond the next couple of months at most.

That is not strictly true.
    Ken Clarke yesterday suggested a GONU policy of shepherding through as soft a Brexit as possible (while pointing out that his own meaningful vote motion failed by only two votes last time around).
    Given he has neither the desire nor capacity to continue as PM beyond that, and no possible agenda to further alongside it while temporary PM, he does seem the obvious candidate. That he voted for the WA despite being one if the most ardent Europeans in the Commons is further evidence of his evenhandedness.

Such a settlement would probably meet Labour’s tests, and could conceivably bring the LibDems on board, as the least of many evils. It ought also to be attractive to Tory rebels - and would comply with the referendum vote.

The obvious obstacle is Corbyn’s determination to be PM, come what may. Even that might not be insurmountable, as such a soft Brexit might well leave the Tories vulnerable to the Brexit party betrayal charges at the post Brexit general election.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    If put him below any alternative figure from labour. I know the idea he brings some Tory rebels on board and being respected on the EU front not put off too many in labour but the plan is to stop Brexit and hes willing to contemplate brexit so is immediately not worth it for the anti no dealers, who are actually mostly anti Brexiters less flexible than him.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

FPT

rcs1000 said:

It is entirely logical stamp duty should be paid by the seller, who is making a profit in the sale and not the purchaser who is already burdened by needing a deposit. If the seller increases the sale price by the amount of the tax [as they likely will], then the mortgage will cover almost all of that.

If it doesn't matter whether it is paid by the seller or borrower then it should be paid by the seller. For the same reason as PAYE being paid by the employer makes sense.

The seller has a lump sum of cash when the sale completes. Taking it out of the seller means it is automatic and never really saved or spent by anyone.

Taking it from the borrower means they need to have the cash up front, you are front-loading the borrowers expenditure and they have to save it real terms. If the seller charges it to the borrower in the sale price, then yes it is the same to the government but the mortgage covers a large proportion of it. It takes the borrowers expenditure from being up front along with the deposit to being in the future.

Example: House sale at £300k, not a first time buyer, buyer getting a mortgage with a 20% deposit.

Alternate: House sale of £305k, not a first time buyer, 20% deposit, no buyers stamp duty.
    So the seller benefits from the status of the buyer (first time buyer/not first time buyer?). I'm not sure exactly how that is going to work fairly. In practice wouldn't the tax be 'simplified' and all the distinction between types of buyer be removed?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    When Frodo set off to destroy the evil ring of power, he didn’t know every twist and turn of the road ahead. Indeed, he said to Elrond that he ‘did not know the way ahead’ at all.

He only knew that he had to destroy it. To cast it back into the fires from whence it came.
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    ydoethur said:

The House of Commons cannot unilaterally extend Article 50. The EU Council has to agree. And as Boris Johnson is a member of that council he could actually still veto it.
    That is an interesting thought. I’d have to think through what the legislation would/could say but I can’t see any obvious way to prevent that. It’s the problem with trying to use legislation to force the hand of an unwilling PM. Even if you somehow craft legislation that prevents him vetoing, he would have all sorts of ways to ensure someone else vetoed.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570

Article 50 will be extended by a Parliament which is implacably opposed to No Deal. The route to this will be legislation.

You keep repeating this, but it does not make it true.

Parliament can scrutinise, revise or vote down legislation, but it cannot propose it. That is the job of the government.

If the government does not propose any legislation which can be amended to include an Article 50 extension request, what is Parliament going to do?
  • Options

Article 50 will be extended by a Parliament which is implacably opposed to No Deal. The route to this will be legislation.

Parliament can scrutinise, revise or vote down legislation, but it cannot propose it. That is the job of the government.

If the government does not propose any legislation which can be amended to include an Article 50 extension request, what is Parliament going to do?
    Hang on, I thought Cooper/Boles introduced legislation after suspending the standing orders? Or am I misremembering?
  • Options

When Frodo set off to destroy the evil ring of power, he didn’t know every twist and turn of the road ahead. Indeed, he said to Elrond that he ‘did not know the way ahead’ at all.

He only knew that he had to destroy it. To cast it back into the fires from whence it came.

I suspect your time on this matter may be more profitably spent on Erskine May than JRR Tolkien.

https://erskinemay.parliament.uk
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    alex. said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

So the seller benefits from the status of the buyer (first time buyer/not first time buyer?). I'm not sure exactly how that is going to work fairly. In practice wouldn't the tax be 'simplified' and all the distinction between types of buyer be removed?
    Yes. As I said on the previous thread that would be a major motivation. You could remove the first time buyer exemption and reduce the threshold for payment and respond to any accusations that this made things more difficult for first-time buyers by saying that it didn't because it was now paid by the seller.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Hang on, I thought Cooper/Boles introduced legislation after suspending the standing orders? Or am I misremembering?
    @CarlottaVance is proceeding along conventional lines. But conventions are being set aside. This would be effectively at the government’s behest, given how it is taunting the legislature.

It would be sublime to see Boris Johnson impotent in Downing Street, having neither done nor died.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

Parliament could potentially pass a law that forces a PM to ask for an extension, but I don't really see how a law could be written that would compel him to accept any terms offered by the EU.

My interpretation is Parliament can pass a law which revokes, or appoint a PM who is willing to negotiate for an extension.

However would the EU really engage in constructive negotiations with a Ken Clark's sundry rebels / Corbyn / SNP / Green / PC / Lib Dem coalition that has a life time measured in days or weeks ? My guess is no.

If they grab power they can revoke and submit themselves to the voters judgement, it's the only card they have to play. The judgement is unlikely to be kind
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Backbenchers have very few opportunities to legislate to stop no deal: MPs may want to repeat the process that led to the ‘Cooper Act’ in March, which forced the government to seek an extension (although it had already requested an extension before the Act came into law). But as the government controls most of the time in the Commons there are limited opportunities for MPs to initiate this process, even if the Speaker helps facilitate such a move. Cancelling the planned conference recess alone will not necessarily create new opportunities.

More on why Cooper II may not work here:

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/parliament-role-before-31-october-brexit-FINAL.pdf
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,147
    kle4 said:

The problem this time is that some constitutional folks think that an additional standing order will have to be suspended as the new Cooper/Boles will be money spending motion.

I'll post a link if I find it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    As I have been saying for ages the obvious choices are leave, with or without a deal or revoke. Extensions are damaging economically, enervating politically and ultimately pointless.

We should have had this decision in March. We have wasted another 7 months to no purpose whatsoever. This useless incompetent Parliament is never going to make its mind up about what it wants as opposed to what it doesn't. As the Bard said, "if it were to be done, it were well to be done quickly." Its a bit late for that but its make your mind up time.
  • Options
    Mr. Johnstone, I'm not so sure.

To my thinking, if MPs from across the House are willing to oust Johnson after just a few months of being PM, expressly to prevent us leaving without a deal, that makes the chances of remaining much shorter.

Any new PM, to hold together the coalition (and to respect the mandate that got them the position) would be honour bound to listen more to the Commons *and* not be beholden to a party membership. The EU would also see that the Commons was willing to take drastic action to avoid us leaving (with no deal, at the least).

I could see another referendum with Clarke/Harman's Deal versus Remain as the options.

The biggest obstacle is the first. We do live in unusual political times, but it's still a very big ask.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    A crisp and satisfying article but I disagree with the big betting conclusion. For the reasons I have set out several times (and to everyone's relief will not be yomping through again on this bright & breezy Saturday morning) No Deal will not be happening in 2019. I am pleased it is shortening on betfair so I can lay it some more.

BTW, I think TANDA is great and should be adopted forthwith and by all in place of GNU or GONU or GUC, or anything with 'U' in it. As David says, there is no 'national unity' behind any alternative to Johnson and whatever his plan is. If only there were.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

So we send some short people to cast Article 50 into the crack of doom?

As good a plan as a few we've heard.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Nigelb said:

As the ex-Lab, now-Ind, MP John Woodcock rightly pointed out, no-one’s really come up with a credible grand strategy that thinks beyond the next couple of months at most.

Ken Clarke yesterday suggested a GONU policy of shepherding through as soft a Brexit as possible (while pointing out that his own meaningful vote motion failed by only two votes last time around).
    Given he has neither the desire nor capacity to continue as PM beyond that, and no possible agenda to further alongside it while temporary PM, he does seem the obvious candidate. That he voted for the WA despite being one if the most ardent Europeans in the Commons is further evidence of his evenhandedness.

Such a settlement would probably meet Labour’s tests, and could conceivably bring the LibDems on board, as the least of many evils. It ought also to be attractive to Tory rebels - and would comply with the referendum vote.

The obvious obstacle is Corbyn’s determination to be PM, come what may. Even that might not be insurmountable, as such a soft Brexit might well leave the Tories vulnerable to the Brexit party betrayal charges at the post Brexit general election.

Clarke would be a very popular PM and might even have half a chance of uniting the country. I'd prefer a long-term appointment - say 25 years?
  • Options
    Mr. Recidivist, ahem.

Article 50 does only exist effectively because Brown reneged upon a manifesto pledge for a referendum on Lisbon.

It was pro-EU types that insisted Article 50 (as part of the wider treaty) came into being...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954

And who will be Gollum who's actions actually destroyed the precious?
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, you'd need someone who overtly wants the Precious and who's blind to common sense.

I believe there is such a candidate...
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Has anyone considered that for once in his miserable life Corbyn played a blinder last week, and Ms. Swinson walked into the trap?

Why would Corbyn want to go anywhere near Brexit when, Johnson having painted himself into a corner, could well make a horlicks of the whole issue without any help from Jezza? He has however made a (hollow?) gesture that he could use, in future, as a fig leaf when questioned as to why he didn't do more to prevent no deal. He can finger-point in that event at both Mr Johnson and Ms Swinson.

PB Tories are convinced Corbyn will do anything to become PM and impose his style of Soviet government on us. Did he too have a childhood dream to become 'World King'? I suspect not, he is far too lazy and the thought of actually doing anything (positive or negative) would fill him with dread. Let's face it he has done exactly zip as LOTO, other than to alienate pink Tories on the right of his party. Besides, why get involved with saving Brexit when, if it all unravels Corbyn is the one in the driving seat to deliver his Soviet dream with minimal effort.

We will leave on 31st October without a deal. What happens after that is anyone's guess. It could be unicorns gently grazing the sunlit uplands, or it could be martial law, or more likely something moderately unpleasant inbetween.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Mr. Divvie, you'd need someone who overtly wants the Precious and who's blind to common sense.

He already has the precious.

The question now is whether he is going to drop it in the lake...
  • Options
    What happened to the legislation that was passed (ludicrously) that banned the Government from spending money on "no deal" without the Commons permission?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    I tried posting this the other day and didn't get much of a reaction but I will try again.

"I'm not saying that there wasn't a democratic mandate for brexit at the time. I'm just saying that if I narrowly decided to order fish in a restaurant that was known for chicken, but said it was happy to offer fish, and so far I've been waiting 3 hours, and two chefs who promised to cook the fish have quit, and the third one is promising to deliver the fish in the next five minutes whether it is cooked or not, or indeed still alive,and all the waiting staff have spent the last few hours arguing amongst themselves about whether I wanted battered cod, grilled salmon, jellied eels or dolphin kebabs, and if large parts of the restaurant appeared to be on fire but no one was paying any attention to it because they were all arguing about fish, I would quite like, just once, to be asked if I definitely still wanted fish."

Its gone (trying to sound modern) viral. An MSP said to me yesterday that it was the first and only thing that he had read that made him wonder if there should be a second vote. Not quite there myself but it makes the remainer argument better than anything else I have seen.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,625
    DavidL said:

I tried posting this the other day and didn't get much of a reaction but I will try again.

"I'm not saying that there wasn't a democratic mandate for brexit at the time. I'm just saying that if I narrowly decided to order fish in a restaurant that was known for chicken, but said it was happy to offer fish, and so far I've been waiting 3 hours, and two chefs who promised to cook the fish have quit, and the third one is promising to deliver the fish in the next five minutes whether it is cooked or not, or indeed still alive,and all the waiting staff have spent the last few hours arguing amongst themselves about whether I wanted battered cod, grilled salmon, jellied eels or dolphin kebabs, and if large parts of the restaurant appeared to be on fire but no one was paying any attention to it because they were all arguing about fish, I would quite like, just once, to be asked if I definitely still wanted fish."

Its gone (trying to sound modern) viral. An MSP said to me yesterday that it was the first and only thing that he had read that made him wonder if there should be a second vote. Not quite there myself but it makes the remainer argument better than anything else I have seen.

People (on both sides of leave/remain) stopped listenting to the other side a long time ago, so not surprising that displaced analogies cut through better than arguments on the details.
  • Options
    I find the assumptions about Clarke’s popularity quite eccentric. He got into an unpopular fight every time he was a minister, and despite latter attempts to paint him as “moderate” was just about as Thatcherite as you could get; albeit pro EU. Any Labour MP backing him in power for a sustained period will end up feeling very uncomfortable.

It’s one of the reasons this notion won’t hold. Any Remainer Gvt will quickly become a lighting rod for abuse and Boris will be a favourite for the following election. Being forced out trying to get Brexit over the line surely brings the Brexit Party Vote in line for him, and he also then gets to oppose every unpopular policy and every postponed decision by the new Gvt, picking up stacks of votes along the way.

I think the thesis of putting in a Remainer Gvt assumes the core proposition is a popular one. Hmm. Ok. Let’s test that. Proponents might be disappointed. It would be particularly ironic if the Remainer Gvt was in long enough for the public to hold it and its policies responsible for the impending recession.

• Options
    felix said:

Nigelb said:

Clarke would be a very popular PM and might even have half a chance of uniting the country. I'd prefer a long-term appointment - say 25 years?
    My 'fun' scenario is that Clarke becomes PM on the terms of negotiating an extension and calling an election. An election in which he is not a candidate. Then the election result creates a Parliament so hung that there is absolutely zero prospect of anyone being able to command the confidence of the Commons. So Clarke cannot recommend any alternative to the Queen and continues in post until they finally sort themselves out. Maybe it'll take several elections, and at the end of it there is a monumental reorganisation of the existing parties. Perhaps he gets elevated to the Lords, and appoints his Government largely from there and we all spend a couple of years watching Parliament on the red benches and discover life in Parliament (we like to imagine) it used to be.

Occasional legislation manages to get passed (not much) and we all get to quite enjoy the quiet life.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

With the failure of the deal, there is no mandate for any course of action. So some form of fresh mandate is needed.
  • Options

Has anyone considered that for once in his miserable life Corbyn played a blinder last week, and Ms. Swinson walked into the trap?

Why would Corbyn want to go anywhere near Brexit when, Johnson having painted himself into a corner, could well make a horlicks of the whole issue without any help from Jezza? He has however made a (hollow?) gesture that he could use, in future, as a fig leaf when questioned as to why he didn't do more to prevent no deal. He can finger-point in that event at both Mr Johnson and Ms Swinson.

PB Tories are convinced Corbyn will do anything to become PM and impose his style of Soviet government on us. Did he too have a childhood dream to become 'World King'? I suspect not, he is far too lazy and the thought of actually doing anything (positive or negative) would fill him with dread. Let's face it he has done exactly zip as LOTO, other than to alienate pink Tories on the right of his party. Besides, why get involved with saving Brexit when, if it all unravels Corbyn is the one in the driving seat to deliver his Soviet dream with minimal effort.

We will leave on 31st October without a deal. What happens after that is anyone's guess. It could be unicorns gently grazing the sunlit uplands, or it could be martial law, or more likely something moderately unpleasant inbetween.

Corbyn did indeed get the political tactics spot on, and Swinson fell into the trap. To enough of the public it seems that he tried to stop Brexit, was blocked by the LDs and didnt have enough support. Whilst the reality is different perceptions matter.

Corbyn doesnt care much about Brexit either way, and almost certainly welcomes a Tory led no deal which is one of the very few scenarios that could create a parliamentary majority for a radical Corbyn govt. As he doesnt think there is much difference between a traditional Labour govt and Tory govt, the only destination he cares about is eventually getting a radical left govt.

If the country suffers greatly to get there it is irrelevant as it is the promised land. Virtually the same demented thought process as those wanting Brexit at any cost.
  • Options
    felix said:

Nigelb said:

Perhaps - but one additional advantage of a really soft Brexit is that it would require little or no transition period.
    Normal politics could resume shortly thereafter...
  • Options
    "The chances of Britain leaving the EU without a deal on 31 October have risen sharply."

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1162394920725942274
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,352
    edited August 2019
    Scott_P said:

He already has the precious.

The question now is whether he is going to drop it in the lake...
    The dog that's yet to bark is- how is the government going to make the country function on November 1?
    All the stuff announced or leaked- the coins, the SpAds, the US trade deal dreams- has essentially been trivia. The latest is SEO, changing UK Exit to Brexit in government websites. None of it actually tells us anything. It feels like displacement activity, because real no-deal prep will be unpopular.

And we know who likes being popular, don't we?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    ab195 said:

I find the assumptions about Clarke’s popularity quite eccentric. He got into an unpopular fight every time he was a minister, and despite latter attempts to paint him as “moderate” was just about as Thatcherite as you could get; albeit pro EU.

This just makes him look even more like the real Churchillian figure of the moment.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    DavidL said:

As I have been saying for ages the obvious choices are leave, with or without a deal or revoke. Extensions are damaging economically, enervating politically and ultimately pointless.

We should have had this decision in March. We have wasted another 7 months to no purpose whatsoever. This useless incompetent Parliament is never going to make its mind up about what it wants as opposed to what it doesn't. As the Bard said, "if it were to be done, it were well to be done quickly." Its a bit late for that but its make your mind up time.

Only revoke and Remain settles things definitively, and that only if people don't subsequently try to leave again, which seems unlikely.

The problem with Brexit is not just that there are no good outcomes. There aren't any immediately stable ones.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

One of the less awful analogies put forward for our current predicament. I quite like it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I can't imagine why that long, tortured story about fish didn't get a response
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Perhaps you'd be better off going to a different restaurant and have nothing to do with the employees of the first restaurant.

I think that translates as a general election but with the entire current gang of MPs barred from standing again.
  • Options

DavidL said:

People (on both sides of leave/remain) stopped listenting to the other side a long time ago, so not surprising that displaced analogies cut through better than arguments on the details.
    David forgot that as well as the restaurant being on fire, there are a line of waiters next to him telling him that he is deluded and there is no fire and he is perfectly safe. Indeed, to even consider the presence of fire is a traitorous smear on the restaurant.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    ab195 said:

I find the assumptions about Clarke’s popularity quite eccentric. He got into an unpopular fight every time he was a minister, and despite latter attempts to paint him as “moderate” was just about as Thatcherite as you could get; albeit pro EU.

But what would that matter in a single purpose government ?

On the issue of Europe, he ought to command the approval of anyone but the hard Brexiteers or Revokers.

The issue is respect, not popularity.
  • Options
    ab195 said:

I find the assumptions about Clarke’s popularity quite eccentric. He got into an unpopular fight every time he was a minister, and despite latter attempts to paint him as “moderate” was just about as Thatcherite as you could get; albeit pro EU. Any Labour MP backing him in power for a sustained period will end up feeling very uncomfortable.

Being moderate is not about avoiding fights, it should include an ability to listen and try and bring people together, but just as important are pragmaticism and reason. Moderates should be fighting extremists views on both sides (and proposing their own solutions, the absence of those solutions is part of the failure of the British centre ground over the last decade).
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    DavidL said:

That's very good - is that you?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,318
    The odd thing about David's piece is that it glosses over what happens if the can is kicked down the road to allow an election shortly after Oct 31 (yes it needs EU agreement and yes it would be forthcoming) and the Tories lose.

Even if you don't believe my personal knowledge that Corbyn is (mildly) anti-Brexit, in practice he'd be dependent on MPs inside and outside Labour who wouldn't dream of voting for Brexit. In principle the Government would have a go at a fresh deal and would then put it to a new referendum as one option vs Remain, but in reality the steam would have gone out of the effort.

There are all kinds of reasons why one might not want the Tories to lose. But if they do, Brexit is probably dead.

Incidentally, the cross-party letter that I helped with is the lead in the online Guardian letters page today:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/16/brexit-can-opposition-parties-get-their-act-together-to-stop-no-deal
  • Options
    An excellent article by David as usual and I am very sorry he has resigned from membership of the Tory party. It is nonsense to say a "No Deal" was not canvassed during the 2016 campaign. David Cameron, George Osborne, virtually the entire Westminster bubble media and so called "elite" told us if we voted Out the world would end. 17.4 million of us told them to collectively go and feck themselves!

Surely the dishonourable member for Totnes sums up the situation perfectly. Elected on a manifesto to honour Brexit, immediately on re-election sets out to stop Brexit, huffs and puffs and eventually throws a hissy fit and leaves the party. Then she eventually joins the Liberal Undemocrats whose leader only believes in honouring referenda which suit her and who came 3rd in Totnes in 2017. Said MP was a leading supporter of a bill to require defecting MPs to stand down and face a by-election and when faced with precisely that situation, she refuses to do so!

As many point out, a "No deal" Brexit does not mean there are no deals. Hundreds have already been agreed. Let's just get the feck out of the EU and then Boris can call a GE. Then we will see how many of the 650 so called Honourable members truly are in the eyes of their constituents. As for Ken Clarke or any Tory who goes for this so called National Unity idea, they should immediately be stripped of party membership. In any club, if you don't like the rules set by the majority, you leave!

I have always thought Boris acted too much like a buffoon but clearly in planning his campaign for election to PM, he does indeed appear to have got all his ducks in a row and if there is a VONC, a cabinet who will most probably stand four square behind him! Roll on a GE the 2nd week of November.
  • Options
    alex. said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

That's essentially how it works at the moment. I wanted to demonstrate to @rcs1000 that it does make a difference whether it is paid by buyer/seller. The difference being because of the circumstances of the seller resolving the sale down to just cash while the buying is using cash plus mortgage, so taking the cash from the person with the cash essentially allows the person without much cash to put a share of the tax into the mortgage.

The first time buyer differential may be kept or removed but by keeping the example clear and consistent it was easy to prove the numbers - at least to me the proof stands. If @rcs1000 still objects I would be curious why?
  • Options

Corbyn did indeed get the political tactics spot on, and Swinson fell into the trap. To enough of the public it seems that he tried to stop Brexit, was blocked by the LDs and didnt have enough support. Whilst the reality is different perceptions matter.

Corbyn doesnt care much about Brexit either way, and almost certainly welcomes a Tory led no deal which is one of the very few scenarios that could create a parliamentary majority for a radical Corbyn govt. As he doesnt think there is much difference between a traditional Labour govt and Tory govt, the only destination he cares about is eventually getting a radical left govt.

If the country suffers greatly to get there it is irrelevant as it is the promised land. Virtually the same demented thought process as those wanting Brexit at any cost.
    There is no polling evidence yet to back your assertions.
  • Options

An excellent article by David as usual and I am very sorry he has resigned from membership of the Tory party. It is nonsense to say a "No Deal" was not canvassed during the 2016 campaign. David Cameron, George Osborne, virtually the entire Westminster bubble media and so called "elite" told us if we voted Out the world would end. 17.4 million of us told them to collectively go and feck themselves!

Surely the dishonourable member for Totnes sums up the situation perfectly. Elected on a manifesto to honour Brexit, immediately on re-election sets out to stop Brexit, huffs and puffs and eventually throws a hissy fit and leaves the party. Then she eventually joins the Liberal Undemocrats whose leader only believes in honouring referenda which suit her and who came 3rd in Totnes in 2017. Said MP was a leading supporter of a bill to require defecting MPs to stand down and face a by-election and when faced with precisely that situation, she refuses to do so!

As many point out, a "No deal" Brexit does not mean there are no deals. Hundreds have already been agreed. Let's just get the feck out of the EU and then Boris can call a GE. Then we will see how many of the 650 so called Honourable members truly are in the eyes of their constituents. As for Ken Clarke or any Tory who goes for this so called National Unity idea, they should immediately be stripped of party membership. In any club, if you don't like the rules set by the majority, you leave!

I have always thought Boris acted too much like a buffoon but clearly in planning his campaign for election to PM, he does indeed appear to have got all his ducks in a row and if there is a VONC, a cabinet who will most probably stand four square behind him! Roll on a GE the 2nd week of November.

Not only did no deal not form part of the prospectus, every Leave advocate angrily dismissed the possibility. Claiming a mandate from your opponents’ warnings to do the opposite of what you claimed you were going to do is bizarre.
  • Options

Absolutely.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    DavidL said:

The problem with the Brexit debate including this anecdote is that it is far too abstract. None of it deals with what's possible* on the ground.

* None of which is particularly good. It's a choice between suboptimal options, which in turn implies a downgrade on the status quo.
  • Options
    Sounds like Javid is seriously thinking of borrowing at these super low gilt rates in order to invest.

That's one bit of brightness in the gloom.
  • Options

The stockpiling and preparations are a waste full stop.
    They may not be a waste if we do actually exit so it makes sense as a precaution.

The problem is if we meaninglessly extend repeatedly in some unending purgatory then each extension has to be stockpiled for once more. We are just repeating the pain again and again but without the supposed benefits of either exiting or remaining.

If we are to exit, then JFDI applies.

If we are to remain, then JFDI works for that too.

Half arsed extensions solve nothing.
  • Options

The odd thing about David's piece is that it glosses over what happens if the can is kicked down the road to allow an election shortly after Oct 31 (yes it needs EU agreement and yes it would be forthcoming) and the Tories lose.

Even if you don't believe my personal knowledge that Corbyn is (mildly) anti-Brexit, in practice he'd be dependent on MPs inside and outside Labour who wouldn't dream of voting for Brexit. In principle the Government would have a go at a fresh deal and would then put it to a new referendum as one option vs Remain, but in reality the steam would have gone out of the effort.

There are all kinds of reasons why one might not want the Tories to lose. But if they do, Brexit is probably dead.

Incidentally, the cross-party letter that I helped with is the lead in the online Guardian letters page today:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/16/brexit-can-opposition-parties-get-their-act-together-to-stop-no-deal

Yeah Mr Palmer - truth is , by your own admission you and many of your colleagues who tacitly supported Blair while always quietly hoping for extreme socialism in the future. There is no good reason why anyone should believe a word you say on this or any other matter
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Nigelb said:

ab195 said:

On the issue of Europe, he ought to command the approval of anyone but the hard Brexiteers or Revokers.

I don’t think you can have a single purpose Government. Things happen. Suppose a large, loved firm went into administration (like the situation with British Steel). What would Clarke do? What would most of his new Government want to do? There’d be an active opposition, so doing nothing isn’t an option. Suppose there was a nasty crime? The opposition is calling for more police, stronger laws, hang ‘em flog ‘em fire and brimstone. What would he do? There’s an NHS winter crisis. What would he do? Etc. etc.

There has to be a on election in the end, and in this scenario Labour and Lib Dems would be bound to his choices.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

I think that goes for each of them EU 27 too, with the possible exception of France where I could argue it either way.

I read yesterday that the UK is soon to be relegated to 7th richest country in the world. The much vaunted 5th to be taken by India or france. I can't find the reference now. I imagine without Scotland we could slip even lower. Not a good look for the empirists nor for the PM who presided over it.
  • Options
    Biden is at 8.2

I have topped up a little at those rates.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

"The chances of Britain leaving the EU without a deal on 31 October have risen sharply."

Boris WILL take us out of the E.U.

By hook or by crook, remainers will long for the says of Theresa May.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

Boris WILL take us out of the E.U.

By hook or by crook, remainers will long for the says of Theresa May.
    Sorry, I meant by hook or by crook we will Leave the E.U thanks to Boris.

No deal could have been prevented but remain blocked every other option. You reap as you sow.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Agreed 100%, That was my point regarding stockpiling.

I like JFDI as a motto, but the Bard's phrasing is more poetic.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

That is correct.

The LibDems' position is that if there is No Deal. we will have apocalyptic scenes of people dying for lack of medicine, food riots, civil strife in Northern Ireland, the break-up of the United Kingdom with the secession of Scotland, a holocaust of sheep and cattle, mass redundancies & catastrophic failure of British industries.

The alternative is Jeremy Corbyn. A rather scruffy & incompetent allotment holder.

Apparently, the LibDems have decided that whatever will happen under Jeremy is actually worse than their truly eschatological vision of No Deal.

In fact, it is an astonishing achievement by the ERG. They are getting their way, with a Parliamentary strength of perhaps 60 MPs.

A Remainer-dominated Parliament has failed & failed & failed & failed.

The Remainers need to vent their fury on their incompetent Remainer MPs -- comprehensively out-thought and out-witted and out-played by Jacob Rees-Mogg & Mark Francois & Co.

I am not sure any MP in this rotten Parliament deserves to ever be returned in a General Election again.
  • Options

Biden is at 8.2

I have topped up a little at those rates.

I think it will be Biden. Trump's win with a popular vote loss has scared the crap out of Dems, and they are scared to take a chance on someone more risky.

Biden is the creepy male nurse you stick with for fear of 4 more years of the mad joker.
  • Options
    felix said:

I know this forum has some extremely polling led posters but it is perfectly possible, one might even say desirable, to form some opinions without polling. Most of my post is based on my observations of what the LOTO has said and how he has acted.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    Roger said:

I read yesterday that the UK is soon to be relegated to 7th richest country in the world. The much vaunted 5th to be taken by India or france. I can't find the reference now. I imagine without Scotland we could slip even lower. Not a good look for the empirists nor for the PM who presided over it.
    Surely with the repatriation of £350m a week plus being rid of the suppurating sore of benefit junky Scotia, Wangland will be moving UP the rich list?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Sounds like Javid is seriously thinking of borrowing at these super low gilt rates in order to invest.

Sounds like Javid is seriously thinking of borrowing at these super low gilt rates in order to try and buy an election
  • Options
    felix said:

If the question were asked today, Ms Swinson I suspect would be widely supported over Comrade Corbyn. If the same question were asked post- untidy Brexit the answer may well be different.

Anyone who has studied Corbyn will note his short game is poor but he plays a less inept long game.
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, we've always bobbled around above and below the French economy. It's not surprising. And France, I believe, includes outlying territories whereas we don't.

As for being overtaken by India: they've got over a billion people. It's not surprising.

Likewise, the USA, China, and Japan have significantly more people. Germany's also about 20m ahead of us.
  • Options
    Interesting geographical skews in that YouGov:

No Deal Brexit + No Corbyn vs Corbyn + EURef2

London: 40 / 40
    South: 53 / 32
    Mid/W: 51 / 33
    North: 49 / 36
    Scot: 34 / 44

So only the Scots break in favour of Corbyn, while even Labour London is split down the middle. In the rest of the country a clear majority (or (just) plurality in the North) in favour of No Deal Brexit + No Corbyn vs the alternative.

https://tinyurl.com/y4lxgct7
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    It is an interesting thought on how bad "no deal" might be compared to the economic chaos and social strife that characterised the early Thatcher years. Of course she had North Sea Oil, Privatisation cash etc etc… but in the midst of this there were two Tory landslides. Could easily happen again. Even if the Tories get the 'blame' for no deal consequences, it doesn't automatically follow that they will suffer at the ballot box under FPTP.

The key is that the key to getting into Government and sustaining yourself is to want to actually do things. Simply opposing is never a manifesto for Government, and in that the Conservatives are currently at a massive advantage. To be fair, under the surface, the likes of McDonnell are trying to focus on what Labour would do - but it doesn't get much airtime, and much of it is an anaethema to the electorate.

Blair got into power on the back partly of Conservative popularity yes, but also because he moved on from permanent opposition. In fact, he managed to change the traditional balance, so that the political debates were often about his plans for Government, countered by Conservative criticism, and this began 2-3 years before 1997. And that made him look forward looking with a plan for Government, and his opponents were just sniping.
  • Options
  • Options
    ab195 said:

Nigelb said:

ab195 said:

I don’t think you can have a single purpose Government. Things happen. Suppose a large, loved firm went into administration (like the situation with British Steel). What would Clarke do? What would most of his new Government want to do? There’d be an active opposition, so doing nothing isn’t an option. Suppose there was a nasty crime? The opposition is calling for more police, stronger laws, hang ‘em flog ‘em fire and brimstone. What would he do? There’s an NHS winter crisis. What would he do? Etc. etc.

There has to be a on election in the end, and in this scenario Labour and Lib Dems would be bound to his choices.

Fair questions.

There aren't any easy answers (though perhaps the qualification for holding cabinet posts would be previous ministerial experience ?), and it would be imperative that any deal be concluded quickly - which again argues for the softest possible Brexit, which could be implemented immediately.

Try asking the same questions for a Corbyn led government, though.
This discussion has been closed.