Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meet the next Prime Minister. Maybe

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited August 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meet the next Prime Minister. Maybe

John Bercow as Prime Minister seems outlandish even in these interesting times. There’s not enough bandwdith on the information superhighway to list all the reasons why this is a bad idea or why John Bercow is so unsuited to be Prime Minister but given the desperation amongst MPs to stop a No Deal Brexit then something outlandish needs to happen.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    If Shadsy is reading this could he price up Sylvia Hermon as well please? Preferably at the same price as Piers Morgan.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Bercow has thoroughly trashed the position of Speaker. I suspect his obvious lack of impartiality is going to cause the Right to put in a partisan speaker next time they have a majority. Then the Left will do the same in response.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Bercow has thoroughly trashed the position of Speaker. I suspect his obvious lack of impartiality is going to cause the Right to put in a partisan speaker next time they have a majority. Then the Left will do the same in response.

Do you know what the Monday Club is???
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Scott_P said:
    The accidentality of this leak sounds about as believable as politicians walking into Downing Street with their notes facing outwards.
  • Options
    Even Bercow is chuckling at this one.

Brexit has sent the country utterly barmy.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    I have not followed the political discourse in the last 24 hours. But regarding the PM after a successful VoNC, this is the position of anti-Corbynites:
    1. He is not acceptable as PM.
    2. But his vote to appoint a new PM is acceptable.

• Options

I have not followed the political discourse in the last 24 hours. But regarding the PM after a successful VoNC, this is the position of anti-Corbynites:
    1. He is not acceptable as PM.
    2. But his vote to appoint a new PM is acceptable.

Obviously, it's not just acceptable, it's required, there aren't enough Tory defectors to do it any other way. I think it's normal that voting with someone doesn't mean you think they should be Prime Minister.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Lib Dem price shortens in Richmond Park (Zac Goldsmith MP, Con):

LD 1/3 (from 2/5)
    Con 2/1 (from 7/4)
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Best prices - Next UK PM

Corbyn 11/4
    Clarke 16/1
    Farage 16/1
    Starmer 16/1
    Swinson 16/1
    Javid 25/1
    Long-Bailey 25/1
    Raab 33/1
    Rayner 33/1
    Rees-Mogg 33/1
    Stewart 33/1
    Gove 40/1
    Cooper 50/1
    Lewis 50/1
    Mercer 50/1
    Mordaunt 50/1
    Rudd 50/1
    Thornberry 50/1
    Watson 50/1
    Cleverly 66/1
    Cox 66/1
    Davidson 66/1
    McDonnell 66/1
    Lucas 80/1
    Moran 80/1
  • Options
    Some longer odds next pm prices (many other names available):

David Miliband 100/1
    Ed Miliband 100/1
    Tony Blair 200/1
    Theresa May 200/1
    David Cameron 250/1
    Piers Morgan 500/1
    George Osbourne 500/1
    John Bercow?
  • Options
    Best prices - BJ exit date

2020 7/2
    2023 or later 7/2
    2019 4/1
    2022 6/1
    2021 7/1

4/1 for this year looks tempting, but precedent suggests that PM exit dates are always further off than you think.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

It's only barmy on social media.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    You say "(sic)" but it's more like "(hic)"
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Not true. Brexit has changed how friends and family behave towards each other IRL, and not for the better.

I was out with a friend from Ulster last night, who I had not met for many years. He has lived his entire post-university life in England, and has a UUP, then Con, background. In passing I mentioned the “B” word, and he immediately became serious and just said that that was not a topic he was willing to talk about.

He explained his refusal by drawing a parallel with his childhood/youth during The Troubles. For the NI adults around him, the “T” word back then was like the “B” word is now in England: you only talk about it openly and honestly with very close friends and family, and even then, only whispering behind net-curtains. In other words, there is a virtual civil-war going on out there in his previously tranquil patch of Merrie Olde southern England. It was quite perturbing to see his otherwise jolly and relaxed demeanour become instantly so anguished at the passing mention of a word.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    Have these parliamentarians forgotten that it won’t be long before they must face their masters? Just what reaction do they expect from the electorate if they made John Bercow PM? Time doesn’t end on 31 Oct.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919

LD 1/3 (from 2/5)
    Con 2/1 (from 7/4)

I would have thought that uber-Remain Richmond Park is by a country mile the LibDems best chance of a gain at the next General Election. And I don't think 1-3 is very generous.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Bercow is fundamentally unsuited to be PM.

He's a gooner, for God's sake!
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

Do you know what the Monday Club is???
    I think it is fair to say that Bercow's politics have undertaken a journey.....
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    Gabs2 said:

I agree. I think it's time to look again at the position of Speaker and consider perhaps having a civil servant instead of an MP to fill the job. The disadvantages of the current system are obvious: the Speaker's constituents are disenfranchised, and the idea that somebody who has been paid to be partisan could effectively become non-partisan has always been a bit ridiculous. Civil servants on the other hand don't have constituencies and are paid to be non-political.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Fishing said:

Gabs2 said:

I agree. I think it's time to look again at the position of Speaker and consider perhaps having a civil servant instead of an MP to fill the job. The disadvantages of the current system are obvious: the Speaker's constituents are disenfranchised, and the idea that somebody who has been paid to be partisan could effectively become non-partisan has always been a bit ridiculous. Civil servants on the other hand don't have constituencies and are paid to be non-political.
    Everyone else before Bercow managed it.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    edited August 2019
    RobD said:

Everyone else before Bercow managed it.

True, but we live in a more partisan age and the genie may be difficult to put back in the bottle.

Also, Bercow's predecessors' constituents were disenfranchised just as much as his are.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Gabs2 said:

The accidentality of this leak sounds about as believable as politicians walking into Downing Street with their notes facing outwards.

Perhaps, but there is at least one genuinely troubling question for BoZo in the list.

"What about the DUP?"
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    John Bercow is not a stupid suggestion. He fulfils the two key required criteria:

- To be acceptable to the whole Remain corpus
    - Not to threaten Jeremy Corbyn

So if odds are offered, I'll put something on. Thank you for the pre-screening hat tip, TSE.

However, I still think the Father of the House is an even better suggestion and I'm accordingly on him at 130/1.
  • Options
    Bercow has debased the position of Speaker to such an extent that the idea of a civil servant may well be a sound one.

I don't think parliament can afford for another individual so unsuited to occupy the seat.
  • Options
    For PClipp: Michael Brown has surfaced:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49370692

"But he said the £2.4 million payment, made via his firm, First Avenue Partners Ltd, should have been rejected by the [Liberal Democrat] Party.

"They should have said to me: 'But Michael, you don't live in the United Kingdom, you're not registered on the voters' roll, your company was only born six months ago; really sorry Michael, thanks for coming, but no thanks,'" he said.

"That's what they should have done, but of course, you know, the pound signs tend to obscure absolutely everything else."
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 896
    Why have MPs written to Johnson asking him to recall parliament? To recall parliament in an emergency the PM asks the Speaker to recall the Commons. The MPs should have written the letter to Bercow.
  • Options
    "Could this former member of the Monday Club be our next Prime Minister?"

File under Q for QTWTAIN.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

LD 1/3 (from 2/5)
    Con 2/1 (from 7/4)

I would have thought that uber-Remain Richmond Park is by a country mile the LibDems best chance of a gain at the next General Election. And I don't think 1-3 is very generous.
    I think 1/3 is EXTREMELY generous. There's a hardcore "oh, but isn't he a lovely boy?" vote, but it just isn't enough.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

John Bercow is not a stupid suggestion. He fulfils the two key required criteria:

So if odds are offered, I'll put something on. Thank you for the pre-screening hat tip, TSE.

However, I still think the Father of the House is an even better suggestion and I'm accordingly on him at 130/1.

How though? Two options make easy sense. Legislation and Corbyn. GNU looks like wishful thinking without more details.

Legislation. We've seen this before with Grieve/Cooper, for instance. It could happen again and Boris is said to be wary of introducing any bills that might be hijacked (or amended).

Corbyn. This would be a Labour minority government to secure an extension then go to the country. Under purdah, it could not introduce any of the measures its opponents claim to be scared of. Well, we know what minority governments look like; indeed, we have one now.

So those two seem plausible choices.

But a Clarke-led GNU, especially as Clarke is talking about renegotiating to achieve a soft Brexit, would last for months, and would need to be a proper coalition government dealing with all areas of state. Who would be in this GNU? How many Cabinet seats for the SNP and which ones? For Labour? Would the rump Conservative Party form the Opposition? What would it be its policy on Health, Education and Stamp Duty?

It does not look realistic. There are just too many details left up in the air.

If Parliament collectively wants to stop us crashing out then legislation or Corbyn are the only realistic options.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

If Parliament collectively wants to stop us crashing out then legislation or Corbyn are the only realistic options.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916

How though? Two options make easy sense. Legislation and Corbyn. GNU looks like wishful thinking without more details.

Legislation. We've seen this before with Grieve/Cooper, for instance. It could happen again and Boris is said to be wary of introducing any bills that might be hijacked (or amended).

Corbyn. This would be a Labour minority government to secure an extension then go to the country. Under purdah, it could not introduce any of the measures its opponents claim to be scared of. Well, we know what minority governments look like; indeed, we have one now.

So those two seem plausible choices.

But a Clarke-led GNU, especially as Clarke is talking about renegotiating to achieve a soft Brexit, would last for months, and would need to be a proper coalition government dealing with all areas of state. Who would be in this GNU? How many Cabinet seats for the SNP and which ones? For Labour? Would the rump Conservative Party form the Opposition? What would it be its policy on Health, Education and Stamp Duty?

It does not look realistic. There are just too many details left up in the air.

That's the problem isn't it. HOW we leave, or IF we do is the all-consuming issue at the moment. All sorts of other matters are 'not really' being dealt with at the moment.

For example, I see another British citizen who went to join, or at least 'look closely at, ISIS has had their citizenship revoked. That's an extremely serious thing to do, and there ought to be a lot more discussion over it.
  • Options
    I see the pound has slightly strengthened this morning. Is this due to natural bounce back, or to the possibility, (low IMHO) of a more sensible PM & Govt. emerging soon?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    What plan will the witless wonders in parliament come up with next ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good morning, everyone.

I, for one, welcome our new enormo-haddock overlords.
  • Options

I think it is fair to say that Bercow's politics have undertaken a journey.....

I don't know anything about his current political views. Do you?

I mean, we know that he thinks MPs should be able to do things when there's a majority in favour of doing them and the speaker shouldn't take a literal view of the rules that allows parliament to get DoSed by an executive with minority support, but beyond that?
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    Scott_P said:
    If only there had been a withdrawal deal she could have voted for which would have avoided this. She twisted on 17 fancying her chances of beating the dealer.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Not true. Brexit has changed how friends and family behave towards each other IRL, and not for the better.

I was out with a friend from Ulster last night, who I had not met for many years. He has lived his entire post-university life in England, and has a UUP, then Con, background. In passing I mentioned the “B” word, and he immediately became serious and just said that that was not a topic he was willing to talk about.

He explained his refusal by drawing a parallel with his childhood/youth during The Troubles. For the NI adults around him, the “T” word back then was like the “B” word is now in England: you only talk about it openly and honestly with very close friends and family, and even then, only whispering behind net-curtains. In other words, there is a virtual civil-war going on out there in his previously tranquil patch of Merrie Olde southern England. It was quite perturbing to see his otherwise jolly and relaxed demeanour become instantly so anguished at the passing mention of a word.
    That sense of menace is a fraction of what will happen if brexit is ultimately stopped though.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    All this talk of GNU is fanciful, it would be almost entirely without Tory support.

80%+ of it's support would be from labour mps, with backing from the snp, a handful of lib Dems and sub 10 Tories. Making Ken Clark PM doesn't suddenly make it a GNU, it'd be wildly partizan.

Nothing without the support of 100 Tories could claim the name honesty
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

All this talk of GNU is fanciful, it would be almost entirely without Tory support.

80%+ of it's support would be from labour mps, with backing from the snp, a handful of lib Dems and sub 10 Tories. Making Ken Clark PM doesn't suddenly make it a GNU, it'd be wildly partizan.

There’d be at least 100 Tories secretly cheering it on.
  • Options

I see the pound has slightly strengthened this morning. Is this due to natural bounce back, or to the possibility, (low IMHO) of a more sensible PM & Govt. emerging soon?

On a Sunday morning??
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

On a Sunday morning??
    Last day or so. Traders in Asia????? I keep of a note of how it's doing against the Thai Baht too and it's moved up (from a low point) there, too.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

Doesn't matter what it's called as long as it works.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

IanB2 said:

On a Sunday morning??
    Last day or so. Traders in Asia????? I keep of a note of how it's doing against the Thai Baht too and it's moved up (from a low point) there, too.
    It’s gone up 2 cents over the week roughly 3 if you take the actual low which didn’t hold for long. What we don’t know is if it is market sentiment, profit taking or BOE intervention.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    Who was the last Speaker to become PM? I've got a feeling it was Henry Addington in 1801, although Charles Manners-Sutton was considered for it in the 1830s.

So we're going back a very long way indeed...
  • Options

Clarke himself is talking about negotiating a softer Brexit. His GNU is a far more extensive project than Corbyn's splash and dash, extension and election.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Deleted.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Didn't Addington take over from Pitt the Younger (who also replaced him)?

From Pitt to Johnson.
  • Options

From Pitt to Johnson.

Pitt the Younger was a Cambridge-educated lawyer, like TSE and Ken Clarke.
  • Options

From Pitt to Johnson.

Well, our leading politicians now are definitely the pitts, but I take it that wasn't quite what you meant.
  • Options
    OK, TSE, that's clinching proof this is a bad idea and a non-starter.
  • Options

Clarke himself is talking about negotiating a softer Brexit. His GNU is a far more extensive project than Corbyn's splash and dash, extension and election.
    Clarke would be talking about a softer Brexit than May's Shit Deal.

He is the most extreme EU fanatic in the House, with a decades-long track record and three failed bids to be Tory leader to back that up. His view of the EU is suported by well below 10% of the public. The idea of putting him in charge of implementing something voted for by 52% of the public is frankly risible.

Rather than Brexit, he'd no doubt love to sign us up to the Euro in a hearbeat.

You want the ultimate in broken politics? Prime Minister Ken Clarke is that ultimate. A man with no mandate whatsoever, it would also only be a short term fix for the EU. Because PM Farage would follow on in short order, with a mandate and the MPs to rip us out of the EU, whatever Clarke had signed up to.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Perhaps, but they'd line up to vote against it, because anything else is career suicide.

Really don't see it myself, still it's strange times
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

At least 100 soon to be out on their ear ex-Tory MPs.
  • Options

He is the most extreme EU fanatic in the House, with a decades-long track record and three failed bids to be Tory leader to back that up. His view of the EU is suported by well below 10% of the public. The idea of putting him in charge of implementing something voted for by 52% of the public is frankly risible.

You want the ultimate in broken politics? Prime Minister Ken Clarke is that ultimate. A man with no mandate whatsoever, it would also only be a short term fix for the EU. Because PM Farage would follow on in short order, with a mandate and the MPs to rip us out of the EU, whatever Clarke had signed up to.
    Demonstrates the situation that we are in.
  • Options
    On topic, Sally Bercow in Downing St would be a hoot.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

This year's Silly Season has been upgaded to the Full-on Bat-Shit Crazy Summer.

I reckon that OGH is going to be asking Google to delete all record of the thread headers!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I reckon that OGH is going to be asking Google to delete all record of the thread headers!
    Agree wholeheartedly with the first sentence.
  • Options

I thought she'd left him?
  • Options
    notme2 said:

AndyJS said:

That sense of menace is a fraction of what will happen if brexit is ultimately stopped though.
    Or indeed if we No Deal and it turns out as bad as many fear and predict.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The list of signatories to that round-robin letter yesterday repays careful study, as much for who isn’t on it as for who is.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

notme2 said:

AndyJS said:

What many people "feared and predicted" turns out (Sunday Times) to be the Govenment's "base planning scenario".

The worst case is still unleaked.

• Options
    edited August 2019

notme2 said:

AndyJS said:

And I suspect many of the same people will be involved "You said it would be easy; now look at us!'
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

The list of signatories to that round-robin letter yesterday repays careful study, as much for who isn’t on it as for who is.

I know right, why hasn’t Ed Millibants signed it?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

Perhaps he, and the other notable omissions, are just on holiday.
  • Options

Those missing could be on holiday!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

Is he called Ed Milibants because you need a microscope to find his jokes?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    notme2 said:

AndyJS said:

It must be stopped.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    alex. said:

notme2 said:

AndyJS said:

What many people "feared and predicted" turns out (Sunday Times) to be the Govenment's "base planning scenario".

Over and over I’ve made the point about the dangers of shortages of medical supplies. People will die as a result. I still await the number of avoidable deaths that will make no dealers decide that Brexit wasn’t worth it.
  • Options

I've been listening to his "Reasons to be Cheerful' podcast and last week he said he was going to be. Can't recall where, though.
    The podcasts are entertaining though.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    nichomar said:

Are you suggesting that he’s not on his phone furiously refreshing the PB comments section?
  • Options
    Giving to the LibDems is worse than nicking millions of pounds.

A convicted businessman who donated £2.4m to the Liberal Democrats has said it was the "stupidest" thing he has ever done in his life.

Michael Brown made the payment - a record sum for the party - in 2005.

• Options

IanB2 said:

At least 100 soon to be out on their ear ex-Tory MPs.
    I know that it's difficult, but you could try to be a bit more optimistic about your party's electoral prospects after this sh*tstorm has been unleashed upon us. Take HY as your example...
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Apparently a number of the Cabinet of are. Solidarity with the troops and all that.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

On a Sunday morning??
    It’s gone up 2 cents over the week roughly 3 if you take the actual low which didn’t hold for long. What we don’t know is if it is market sentiment, profit taking or BOE intervention.
    I suspect it's the evidence that MPs are frantically plotting to stop Brexit, even if they haven't fixed upon a consensus plan.

Also some poor economic date has depressed the €; the movement against the $ has been less marked.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited August 2019
    Mr Eagles,

"I think MPs who respect the referendum result but are implacably opposed to both a No Deal Brexit"

Is that not an oxymoron? If you oppose a no-deal exit, you're saying you only want to leave with the permission of the EU. And if the EU refuses to negotiate, which it is doing, then you either respect the referendum result and leave, or you remain.
  • Options
    Anyone able to post an open link to the times operation yellow hammer article?
  • Options

And you think Boris and his latest slapper aren't?
  • Options

alex. said:

notme2 said:

AndyJS said:

Over and over I’ve made the point about the dangers of shortages of medical supplies. People will die as a result. I still await the number of avoidable deaths that will make no dealers decide that Brexit wasn’t worth it.
    Read a follow-up comment on one of the twitter feeds that it's shaping up to be an incredibly bad flu season.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    I am attracted to Yvette Cooper.

Backing her for next PM you get 2 dogs in the race -

She emerges to lead the GNU (nicorn).

Johnson smashes Corbyn in a GE. Labour pivot back to the 'soft left' and pick the obvious senior and female figure as leader. They win the following GE.

I'm asking for 100 on betfair so if anybody thinks it ought to be longer and wants to match me?

Or by all means make a counter offer? ...
  • Options

For PClipp: Michael Brown has surfaced:

"But he said the £2.4 million payment, made via his firm, First Avenue Partners Ltd, should have been rejected by the [Liberal Democrat] Party.

"They should have said to me: 'But Michael, you don't live in the United Kingdom, you're not registered on the voters' roll, your company was only born six months ago; really sorry Michael, thanks for coming, but no thanks,'" he said.

"That's what they should have done, but of course, you know, the pound signs tend to obscure absolutely everything else."

Nice timing.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

LD 1/3 (from 2/5)
    Con 2/1 (from 7/4)

I think 1/3 is EXTREMELY generous. There's a hardcore "oh, but isn't he a lovely boy?" vote, but it just isn't enough.
    Oops. That's what I meant.
  • Options

To be fair, Mr M, Kenneth Clarke three times voted for Brexit.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I thought she'd left him?
    That was because she thought she could do better. If he was Prime Minister, then all bets would be off.
  • Options

Giving to the LibDems is worse than nicking millions of pounds.

A convicted businessman who donated £2.4m to the Liberal Democrats has said it was the "stupidest" thing he has ever done in his life.

Michael Brown made the payment - a record sum for the party - in 2005.

No one remembers the theft. Everyone remembers the "donation".
  • Options
    notme2 said:

AndyJS said:

And a fraction of the menace that will happen if Brexit is ultimately pushed through.

Which is why Scotland and N Ireland won’t be hanging about. If England wants to have the mid-life crisis of the century, then she can have it by herself.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

"I think MPs who respect the referendum result but are implacably opposed to both a No Deal Brexit"

Is that not an oxymoron? If you oppose a no-deal exit, you're saying you only want to leave with the permission of the EU. And if the EU refuses to negotiate, which it is doing, then you either respect the referendum result and leave, or you remain.

The EU agreed a deal with us. The deal was - basically - a good one. Could it have been better? Yes.

But it respected the Leave vote. It maintained close alignment, and ended FoM, while allowing us to forge our own path.

The EU is closed. It's currently in effective recess between the end of one commission and parliament, and the beginning of the next.

If you want to negotiate with the EU, then you have to accept an extension, because there's no-one to negotiate with right now.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,976
    Roger said:

And you think Boris and his latest slapper aren't?
    The headline writes itself when she inevitably leaves him or gets traded in.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Quite. It should be those who voted against a deal to leave the EU in parliament who should have any death as a result of no deal,on their conscience.

We are leaving the EU. No ifs or buts. Parliament rejected the smooth transition, not the Government.
  • Options

notme2 said:

AndyJS said:

And a fraction of the menace that will happen if Brexit is ultimately pushed through.

Which is why Scotland and N Ireland won’t be hanging about. If England wants to have the mid-life crisis of the century, then she can have it by herself.
    It will be. Have no doubt.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    alex. said:

notme2 said:

AndyJS said:

The worst case is allowing these proto fascists to get their way. With them in charge we need to look back to 1930's Italy to get a fix on where we're heading.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I reckon TSE is trolling John Rentoul with provocative QTWAINs.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Young Mr Smithson,

"The EU agreed a deal with us. The deal was - basically - a good one. Could it have been better? Yes."

Who rejected the deal? MPs. Most of the MPs who voted against were Labour and the militant Remainers. The Leave voters had no say.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Quite. It should be those who voted against a deal to leave the EU in parliament who should have any death as a result of no deal,on their conscience.

We are leaving the EU. No ifs or buts. Parliament rejected the smooth transition, not the Government.
    Of course it’s the government who are responsible for how we leave no where is there an obligation to a date apart from Johnson’s election campaign but it’s in his hands now and he must take the credit or blame for the outcome.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    Unless the Scots vote for you know what....

https://twitter.com/ukdefjournal/status/1162633120593657856?s=21
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Young Mr Smithson,

"The EU agreed a deal with us. The deal was - basically - a good one. Could it have been better? Yes."

Who rejected the deal? MPs. Most of the MPs who voted against were Labour and the militant Remainers. The Leave voters had no say.

It was rejected by extremists on both sides. In the event of shortages of medicines, Dominic Grieve and Mark Francois would both have deaths on their hands.

But I personally doubt we'll see shortages of medicines or food. I suspect we'll simply end up agreeing a deal that looks just like the Withdrawal Agreement about 18 nonths later, and after a quarter of a million people have unnecessarily lost their jobs, and possibly their homes.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Dura_Ace said:

The headline writes itself when she inevitably leaves him or gets traded in.

Got me thinking furiously and then, yes, eureka ... Cliff!

One of his very best.
This discussion has been closed.