Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Season of Myths

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited August 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Season of Myths

As we approach witching hour, a handy cut-out and keep guide to some of the more common Brexit myths.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,193
    In Boris we trust.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    edited August 2019
    Singapore being expelled from Malaysia might be a better comparison to a no deal Brexit than Greenland's departure, one which caused initial disruption but was better for both parties in the long term.

Surely parliament passing repeated extensions (assuming the EU agree) is in practice little different than revoking Article 50?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Very good essay.
    I suppose there may be other myths. For instance I really think there are people who believe we are living in the 19th century---only that wouldn't be how they put it.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    It looks like there is the potential for something positive to come of the fried chicken boxes. I do hope someone in government will put the time in to build relationships.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/19/chicken-boxes-home-office-knife-crime
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    *Puts on pedant’s hat*

Actually Algeria also left.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    FPT:

"A charity for people with Tourette's syndrome has asked a comedian to apologise for his award-winning joke made at the Edinburgh Fringe festival."
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    edited August 2019
    Good article Ms. Cycle-Free.

It strikes me that the Remainers' best argument should be, to misuse another of Johnson's favourite politician's quotes, "No-Deal is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. It [will only be] the end of the beginning. " No-Deal Brexit for years of Brexit turmoil.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

*Puts on pedant’s hat*

Brexit: Not as bad as the Algerian War of Independence.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238

*Puts on pedant’s hat*

Strictly speaking, Algeria didn't leave the EU. It left the EEC.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

FPT:

"A charity for people with Tourette's syndrome has asked a comedian to apologise for his award-winning joke made at the Edinburgh Fringe festival."

I suspect they will get some ripe language thrown in their direction....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Scott_P said:
    Hilariously, Brexiteers are already accusing Johnson of selling out.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

*Puts on pedant’s hat*

Perhaps if the EU had been established 20 years earlier the Algerians would have decided to stay in France/Europe.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    It is the last line that passes MPs by: Perhaps the biggest myth of all is that Brexit will be over on 31 October 2019. If only.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807

FPT:

Is there a charity for those with Asparagus Syndrome?
  • Options

FPT:

TBH, the striking thing about that list of puns was how unimaginative and unfunny they were. Foxy, Nigelb and I - to name just a few - come up with far better than that on a regular basis. Heck, a beggar trying to get the price of a meal (he claimed) out of me in London could do better.

It doesn't say much for contemporary comedy if that's the best they can offer, and still less if they think they're funny.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Terrific article Cyclefree.

That's it.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Their allegations will hopefully gain no purchase.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    dodrade said:

*Puts on pedant’s hat*

Perhaps if the EU had been established 20 years earlier the Algerians would have decided to stay in France/Europe.
    "Decided"???

You don't decide to leave the EU. You cannot leave the EU; not without mutilating yourself, or signing up to colonial status.

The idea that Britain was "sovereign" in the EU was, it turns out, another big fat myth - this time a Remainer myth. It should be added to Cyclefree's excellent list.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304

Scott_P said:
    Wibbly wobbly Boris bottom!

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    New market: Next GE - Kensington (Lab Maj 20, Emma Dent Coad MP)

Con 4/7
    Lab 7/4
    LD 6/1
  • Options

It is the last line that passes MPs by: Perhaps the biggest myth of all is that Brexit will be over on 31 October 2019. If only.

The only way this ends - finally and definitively - is if the EU collapses. Otherwise we will continue to be hopelessly split between those who wish to leave/stay out and those who wish to remain/rejoin.

But for all its institutional weaknesses, corruption and maladministration, the odds of that happening are the same as the odds of England getting Steve Smith for a duck.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Con 4/7
    Lab 7/4
    LD 6/1

Is EDC standing again, do we know? Given her age, presumably her lack of interest in the job and the series of unmitigated public relations disasters her general thickness and lack of skill have caused, I was wondering if she might step down and give some ambitious young Labour staffer a run at it.
  • Options
    By the way, I'm sure this will have been noted by others before.

Might the Corbyn-McDonnell microphone seizing be deliberate misinformation? Wouldn't it in fact suit them really rather neatly if Britain does disastrously crash out on Oct 31st? The shitshow which will follow will see the total annihilation of the Conservative party for a generation and Labour would inevitably rise in the polls. Especially neat when you consider that the Corbynites don't really like the EU anyway.

There. I've released my cynicism to the ether.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    ydoethur said:

The odds of that happening are the same as the odds of England getting Steve Smith for a duck.
    Well if he doesn't learn to duck ...

• Options

Might the Corbyn-McDonnell microphone seizing be deliberate misinformation? Wouldn't it in fact suit them really rather neatly if Britain does disastrously crash out on Oct 31st? The shitshow which will follow will see the total annihilation of the Conservative party for a generation and Labour would inevitably rise in the polls. Especially neat when you consider that the Corbynites don't really like the EU anyway.

Unfortunately for them Labour have carefully calibrated matters so that if we crash out with no deal they will get no credit from Leavers and maximum ordure from Remainers.

The only real winners in that scenario would be the Liberal Democrats and SNP, who have both at least been clear and consistent, and Sinn Fein.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Some predictions

1. A50 will be extended again, covertly facilitated by Johnson.
    2. There will be a general election in November.
    3. The Tories will gain most seats but will be unable to form a government. The BXP will gain zero seats.
    4. Labour will form a minority government with C&S from LDs and SNP.
    5. Labour will then negotiate a permanent CU WDA which will not get the support of parliament.
    6. There will then be a referendum with the permanent CU WDA versus Remain.
    7. Labour will campaign for Remain.
    8. Remain will win and we will revoke A50 in mid 2020.
    9. The minority Labour government will turn out to be successful and transformative.

• Options

ydoethur said:

The odds of that happening are the same as the odds of England getting Steve Smith for a duck.
    Well if he doesn't learn to duck ...
    Well, if he doesn't learn to duck, he's goosed.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124

In Boris we trust.

Believe.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    ydoethur said:

Con 4/7
    Lab 7/4
    LD 6/1

Is EDC standing again, do we know? Given her age, presumably her lack of interest in the job and the series of unmitigated public relations disasters her general thickness and lack of skill have caused, I was wondering if she might step down and give some ambitious young Labour staffer a run at it.
    AFAIAA none of the parties have announced PPCs for Kensington.

I note that the Greens and minor candidates got well over 1000 votes in Kensington last time. I wonder, if they don’t stand, could Labour maybe hold off the Tories?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The only way this ends - finally and definitively - is if the EU collapses. Otherwise we will continue to be hopelessly split between those who wish to leave/stay out and those who wish to remain/rejoin.

But for all its institutional weaknesses, corruption and maladministration, the odds of that happening are the same as the odds of England getting Steve Smith for a duck.
    It will end, because greater, more significant events - war, disease, climate change, alien invasion, robot supremacy - will overtake it, and render the entire question irrelevant.

No doubt there were people who thought - for good reason, in, say 100AD - that the Roman Empire was eternal. They were wrong. Rome fell.

And the EU, whatever it is, is certainly not the Roman Empire straddling the world with a singular purpose.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Some predictions

3. The Tories will gain most seats but will be unable to form a government. The BXP will gain zero seats.
    5. Labour will then negotiate a permanent CU WDA which will not get the support of parliament.
    9. The minority Labour government will turn out to be successful and transformative.

Yes, Barnesian, of course. A government of tenth rate drunken Fascists with the IQ of dead stoats will be successful and transformative. Because it's working so well right now.

And I do not think there will be an attempt to extend. This is the crunch moment. Unfortunately having rejected rather a good deal and made no preparation for any other scenario we are not in a good situation to meet it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited August 2019
    Rexel56 said:

FPT:

Is there a charity for those with Asparagus Syndrome?
    Personally, I get really pissed off by Arctic explorers, showing off their frostbitten stumps of feet. I get so angry, I went to the doc about it.

He said I was lack-toes intolerant.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    My Italian wife has just booked a trip to see her elderly mother in Italy at Xmas...we've only been living back in the UK for 2 years. My wife doesn't meet the criteria for settled status. She has been a UK taxpayer for 25 years. My wife's birthday is the 1st November...the day when her entitlement to live in the UK ends.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Some predictions

Impressive but ridiculous.

You go wrong with point 1 (and get sillier). Just how will Boris "covertly facilitate" an extension of A50?
  • Options

Of course that's the plan. That's what they've wanted all along.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Con 4/7
    Lab 7/4
    LD 6/1

AFAIAA none of the parties have announced PPCs for Kensington.

I note that the Greens and minor candidates got well over 1000 votes in Kensington last time. I wonder, if they don’t stand, could Labour maybe hold off the Tories?
    Well, Kensington on its current boundaries is not that bad a seat for Labour. Most of the posher areas seem to have ended up in Chelsea. So yes, I think hey could, but whether they will with somebody as bad as Emma Dent Coad, who is a southern version of Jared O'Mara, is another question.

But then, she won last time.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

It will end, because greater, more significant events - war, disease, climate change, alien invasion, robot supremacy - will overtake it, and render the entire question irrelevant.

No doubt there were people who thought - for good reason, in, say 100AD - that the Roman Empire was eternal. They were wrong. Rome fell.

And the EU, whatever it is, is certainly not the Roman Empire straddling the world with a singular purpose.
    In 100 AD, the Roman Empire still had 1361 years to run. Indeed, on some measures it didn't end until 1806.

Waiting for it to fall, or indeed inciting rebellion in the hope of making it fall (check out the Gallic Empire) turned out not to be a profitable venture. To quote Keynes, in the long run we are all dead. But short of invading Hungary with Russian troops, there is no way the EU will collapse in time to be of any help in this situation.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,630
    ydoethur said:

FPT:

TBH, the striking thing about that list of puns was how unimaginative and unfunny they were. Foxy, Nigelb and I - to name just a few - come up with far better than that on a regular basis. Heck, a beggar trying to get the price of a meal (he claimed) out of me in London could do better.

It doesn't say much for contemporary comedy if that's the best they can offer, and still less if they think they're funny.
    The secret of comedy?

Timing.

If you peas...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

FPT:

The secret of comedy?

Timing.

If you peas...
    Well, your timing was swede, but none of these others were a turnip for the books.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

New definitions of what constitutes a successful Brecit, part 406.

The Dark Ages
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Tabman said:

I am not sure there is an inevitability to a Labour recovery in the polls. There won't be many Blue-Red switchers. There will be churn. But I am not sure that many current Tory voters will think - 'well that Jeremy is quite a decent chap after all, I shall vote for him now.' They will look for a different home.
  • Options
    tyson said:

My Italian wife has just booked a trip to see her elderly mother in Italy at Xmas...we've only been living back in the UK for 2 years. My wife doesn't meet the criteria for settled status. She has been a UK taxpayer for 25 years. My wife's birthday is the 1st November...the day when her entitlement to live in the UK ends.

She can apply for pre-settled status with six months proof of residence. Might be a bit of a queue though, with 2 million others.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

In 100 AD, the Roman Empire still had 1361 years to run. Indeed, on some measures it didn't end until 1806.

Waiting for it to fall, or indeed inciting rebellion in the hope of making it fall (check out the Gallic Empire) turned out not to be a profitable venture. To quote Keynes, in the long run we are all dead. But short of invading Hungary with Russian troops, there is no way the EU will collapse in time to be of any help in this situation.
    Of course. But, likesay, the EU is not Rome. Not even close. It is a fissile andshaky construct, with an inbuilt lack of democracy, a massive divide between east and west, a nasty and probably insoluble migrant problem, and a fucking terrible currency rotting away at the core like Soviet era control rods in a rundown nuclear power station.
  • Options

Tabman said:

I am not sure there is an inevitability to a Labour recovery in the polls. There won't be many Blue-Red switchers. There will be churn. But I am not sure that many current Tory voters will think - 'well that Jeremy is quite a decent chap after all, I shall vote for him now.' They will look for a different home.
    I agree. But I think Corbyn and McDonnell are somewhat equivocal about democracy. Brexit begets revolution is their game.
  • Options
    Which Brexiteers here really do think these last years were worth it?

Wouldn't it have been easier for you if the EU referendum had never happened and you could claim the moral high ground and moan from afar?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

FPT:

Imposters. If they were the real thing they'd be asking him to fucking apologise for his cunting joke.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Byronic said:

Barnesian said:

Some predictions

Impressive but ridiculous.

You go wrong with point 1 (and get sillier). Just how will Boris "covertly facilitate" an extension of A50?
    If he can covertly facilitate Jeremy Hunt coming second, all things must be possible.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Of course. But, likesay, the EU is not Rome. Not even close. It is a fissile andshaky construct, with an inbuilt lack of democracy, a massive divide between east and west, a nasty and probably insoluble migrant problem, and a fucking terrible currency rotting away at the core like Soviet era control rods in a rundown nuclear power station.
    That sounded like a damn good approximation of Rome under the Empire to me, Byronic!
  • Options
    Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Sounds just like the Roman Empire...

Though after the Romans left, we did become a failed state.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tyson said:

She can apply for pre-settled status with six months proof of residence. Might be a bit of a queue though, with 2 million others.
    Thanks Fox......I cannot begin to tell you just how relentlessly depressing and how intensely personal this whole Brexit debacle feels like to people like us caught in the crossfire........

I wish I could reciprocate with something as nasty and horribly undermining and personal to the likes of Farage, Rees Mogg, Johnson, Banks, Cummings and Gove..but what could I do?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

We had Arthur chance to build a kingdom if we took the right route, but we chose a Badon, and the whole place collapsed in an orgy of Saxon violence.

Have a good evening.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

That sounded like a damn good approximation of Rome under the Empire to me, Byronic!
    it would certainly be in with a serious chance at a Summarised Gibbon contest.
  • Options
    Slumming it in Glasgow this week :)
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Here's another thing

*bangs table*

We're all fixated on how Brexit is going down, NOW (and for good reason. No Deal is a mildly terrifying prospect)

But how will it be seen in five or ten years, by the rest of Europe? I think it poses huge problems for the EU, however it turns out. Because....

Imagine Brexit is a surprising success (maybe take some acid first). The threat here is clear: if Britain can make Brexit work, then why shouldn't italy make Italexit work, or Hungary do a Hungquit? Especially as the EU tries to integrate even further? The EU could lose members quite quickly, in that scenario.

But, of course, Brexit is more likely to be bad news for Britain. Perhaps really bad news. And yet, even there it will be grim for the EU, too.

How so? Because, across Europe, other nations will look at the UK and think: "even the Brits - who were not in the euro, not in Schenghen, never fully committed, a rich powerful country - could not successfully exit the EU. They were, in effect, trapped: which means that me, us, my country (inside the euro etc) we are even more trapped".

Ancient nations do not like being trapped. No one wants to be in a room without a door. A bad Brexit will cause enormous psychological strains, in the EU, over time.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

No.

It is, quite neatly, a good description of Rome at the end of the Western Empire. Say 400AD. It is not a good description of Rome at the height of her puissance. Three centuries earlier.

Which means the EU is about to fall to the Goths.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

We had Arthur chance to build a kingdom if we took the right route, but we chose a Badon, and the whole place collapsed in an orgy of Saxon violence.

Have a good evening.
    We were rather pict on by barbarians.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

Tabman said:

Even if it's not that likely to work out, it's still Jez's best chance, and he knows it. Also, you don't necessarily have to get voters to switch to win elections - getting your lot fired up while the other guys voters are cheesed off and stay at home works too.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Some predictions

An election in thick dark? I just can't see that very readily. I feel that the election would either be before the clocks go back or in the Spring.
  • Options
    theProle said:

Tabman said:

Even if it's not that likely to work out, it's still Jez's best chance, and he knows it. Also, you don't necessarily have to get voters to switch to win elections - getting your lot fired up while the other guys voters are cheesed off and stay at home works too.
    Yeah. Agreed. My take on Corbyn and McD is that they've given up on a majority (probably wisely), They are going for a core-vote-plus-some-desperate-Remainers strategy. It could get them near 30.

And if Boris fucks up Brexit then the BXP could eat the Tory vote and 26-30 would perhaps be enough for Corbz to form a wobbly minority govt. From there they can build.
  • Options
    Very good points below about the LibDems (obvs I'm biased). The Labour attacks on us show their nervousness on this score.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Barnesian said:

Some predictions

An election in thick dark? I just can't see that very readily. I feel that the election would either be before the clocks go back or in the Spring.
    We had a November election in 1935. In the 20th century general elections were held in December , January and February. Moreover, the availability of postal votes makes such timing a more realistic option than in the past.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

The whole Roman Empire was a failed state by the time they finally cut the ties with Britannia. Iindeed thst was part if the reason why the ties were cut.

So perhaps yiur comparison is more accurate than you would like.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Which Brexiteers here really do think these last years were worth it?

Wouldn't it have been easier for you if the EU referendum had never happened and you could claim the moral high ground and moan from afar?

Nope it is definitely worth it. Or will be if we actually leave. If we don't then it is people like you who will soon be wishing we had.
  • Options
    Corbyn at his speech today said that John McDonnells statement this morning that labour would campaign to remain was his 'private view'

So that is you told John

And Corbyn wants to be PM
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,222
    Barnesian said:

Some predictions

Spring 2020 for that election. Otherwise flawless.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,775
    edited August 2019
    Byronic said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

No.

It is, quite neatly, a good description of Rome at the end of the Western Empire. Say 400AD. It is not a good description of Rome at the height of her puissance. Three centuries earlier.

Which means the EU is about to fall to the Goths.
    I just spent the weekend working on a paper (the editor likes it but it still has to pass the review board, so touch wood) and the soundtrack whilst I worked was "A Slight Case Of Overbombing: The Sisters of Mercy greatest hits, vol 1". My inner Goth needed a headpat. When the film of my life is made, it will end on a scene of me dancing around in the room in my pants with "Lucretia My Reflection" on the soundtrack. Thelma Schoonmaker will do a smash cut to the credits in black and all shall be amazed.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

The whole Roman Empire was a failed state by the time they finally cut the ties with Britannia. Iindeed thst was part if the reason why the ties were cut.

Yes, the loss of Britannia was the clearest sign that Rome was in terminal decline. A rich, fertile province, full of tin and furs and game and fish, with one of the greatest Roman cities north of the Alps. A province so important the Romans built a fucking big wall to defend it? Yet they had to let it go. And it didn't help them: the decline accelerated.

An intriguing echo. We await Hengist and Horsa.
  • Options

How can No Deal crash-out followed by election be the wet dream of Corbyn and McDonnell and at the same time of Johnson and Cummings?
  • Options
    Boris releasing his letter is a sensible move and he needs to publish all correspondence between his office and the EU as this builds towards October

He is obviously seeking to win the public debate. Sky did a vox pops from Corby following Corbyn's speech and Boris received considerable backing for his stance from those interviewed. The mood seemed to be lets get this done
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

Some predictions

We had a November election in 1935. In the 20th century general elections were held in December , January and February. Moreover, the availability of postal votes makes such timing a more realistic option than in the past.
    I haven't got time to check this as I'm working on something but I'd be interested to know how governing parties have fared in winter elections compared to spring and summer ones?

Feb 1974 didn't go too well for Ted Heath iirc. But Wilson managed to nudge up to a majority in the election held on October 10th of the same year.

It's all about the clocks. Even today.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    kinabalu said:

How can No Deal crash-out followed by election be the wet dream of Corbyn and McDonnell and at the same time of Johnson and Cummings?
    Oh, only if you believe as I do and almost every sane member of the human species (and probably much of the animal kingdom) that a No Deal Brexit will be a total and utter shitshow of the most epic proportions ever seen on these Isles.

Which would suit Cummings admirably.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Scott_P said:
    Is it clear what the EU/Ireland 'viable' option is if there is no deal? There are two ways of not having a backstop: no deal or a different deal.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    This is going to be *fun*

We're all doomed, so we might as well enjoy the drama.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

Yep
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Some predictions

Spring 2020 for that election. Otherwise flawless.
    Yes there will be an extension to Art 50 but that will be to enable a WA deal outlined on or before 31 October. Parliament passes it. Election 2020. Crystal ball fails thereafter.

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    At this rate Boris Johnson is even going to ruin our stockpiling efforts!
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    Byronic said:

Here's another thing

*bangs table*

We're all fixated on how Brexit is going down, NOW (and for good reason. No Deal is a mildly terrifying prospect)

But how will it be seen in five or ten years, by the rest of Europe? I think it poses huge problems for the EU, however it turns out. Because....

Imagine Brexit is a surprising success (maybe take some acid first). The threat here is clear: if Britain can make Brexit work, then why shouldn't italy make Italexit work, or Hungary do a Hungquit? Especially as the EU tries to integrate even further? The EU could lose members quite quickly, in that scenario.

But, of course, Brexit is more likely to be bad news for Britain. Perhaps really bad news. And yet, even there it will be grim for the EU, too.

How so? Because, across Europe, other nations will look at the UK and think: "even the Brits - who were not in the euro, not in Schenghen, never fully committed, a rich powerful country - could not successfully exit the EU. They were, in effect, trapped: which means that me, us, my country (inside the euro etc) we are even more trapped".

Ancient nations do not like being trapped. No one wants to be in a room without a door. A bad Brexit will cause enormous psychological strains, in the EU, over time.

Bollocks. The EU is more popular than ever. You're just projecting your own desires as usual.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Chris said:

https://twitter.com/SamuelMarcLowe/status/1163035168678002688
  • Options
    There is, actually, quite an obvious deal to be made here, if both sides dial it down.

A longer transition period. 3 years? 4? In which both sides endeavour to do their best to find a solution to the Irish Border issue, knowing that No Deal is a clear risk as the alternative.

Then, at the end of that, if they HAVEN'T found a solution, Britain will legislate a referendum for Northern Ireland, in which the Northern Irish themselves can choose which they prefer: to remain in the CU and SM, or to cut EU/Irish ties and allow a Border.

It is quite obvious Ulster would go with the former (in fact it would put Ulster in an enviable position, without all the risk of a proper Border poll and the anger that comes with).

There. I've just solved Brexit. Next.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Waiting for it to fall, .

Yes, the loss of Britannia was the clearest sign that Rome was in terminal decline. A rich, fertile province, full of tin and furs and game and fish, with one of the greatest Roman cities north of the Alps. A province so important the Romans built a fucking big wall to defend it? Yet they had to let it go. And it didn't help them: the decline accelerated.

An intriguing echo. We await Hengist and Horsa.
    More Germans coming to the rescue...
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

"It's shite being a Remainer! We're the lowest of the low! The scum of the f*cking Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash, that was shat into civilisation! Some people hate the Brexiteers, I don't! They're just w*nkers!
    We, on the other hand, lost a referendum to w*nkers! Can't even find a decent campaign to lose a referendum to! We're ruled by effete arseholes! It's a shite state of affairs to be in, SeanT, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any f*cking difference!"
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Here's another thing

*bangs table*

Bollocks. The EU is more popular than ever. You're just projecting your own desires as usual.
    Duhhh. The EU is more popular NOW. Of course. Dimwit.

Who is gonna look at Brexit right now and think Ooh. I want that, it looks fab, let's do it here as well? This reaction, of improved support for the EU, was entirely predictable.

I'm positing the psychological dynamics 5-10 years hence. And I am right.
  • Options

Oh, only if you believe as I do and almost every sane member of the human species (and probably much of the animal kingdom) that a No Deal Brexit will be a total and utter shitshow of the most epic proportions ever seen on these Isles.

Which would suit Cummings admirably.

But hardly Johnson. He wants to win the next election. So it seems odd that he plans to fight it in the exact circumstances that Corbyn supposedly wants.

Something not scanning with all this.

I think Johnson wants an election after he has delivered Brexit with a deal. And Corbyn wants an election before any Brexit has been delivered.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

"It's shite being a Remainer! We're the lowest of the low! The scum of the f*cking Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash, that was shat into civilisation! Some people hate the Brexiteers, I don't! They're just w*nkers!
    We, on the other hand, lost a referendum to w*nkers! Can't even find a decent campaign to lose a referendum to! We're ruled by effete arseholes! It's a shite state of affairs to be in, SeanT, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any f*cking difference!"
    pish and piffle
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,220
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    Yep. Some of us cynics have been stockpiling for months. You can barely get down my hall to the living room...
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Here's another thing

*bangs table*

With some, I grant you
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tyson said:

Presumably as the wife of a U.K. citizen she can apply for a spousal visa followed by indefinite leave to remain
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

pish and piffle
    "Your message on PB horrifies me! Of course there is no possible connection between Byronic and SeanT. If you suggest such a thing anywhere it will be the end of our beautiful friendship. For Christ's sake lay off the idea that Byronic = SeanT. Just shut up about Byronic, Fuck You, Evelyn Waugh SeanT"

• Options
    As an aside, this Epstein biz looks quite nasty for Prince Andrew.
This discussion has been closed.