Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why they just don’t put up a hard border in Ireland

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited August 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why they just don’t put up a hard border in Ireland

It was sobering listening to Simon Byrne, a bluff Northerner and current chief constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI), this morning on the radio opining on the practicalities of policing a hard border should it be required. He feared a return to a paramilitary style of policing and how, with his 7,000 policemen, it would be impossible to fulfil such a remit.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,890
    First
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    The Chief Constable of PSNI should stop being so negative and start believing in Britain.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2019
    Suggesting it is either backstop or hard border is like suggesting it is NHS or America's Healthcare system. It is a completely false dichotomy.

We don't need to put up a border, even if we leave without a deal we just compromise and deal as well as we can without a border. If we can't compromise with the EU which would be preferable we will need to compromise our ability to ensure there is no smuggling - as we do already today in compromising our ability to ensure there is no smuggling of alcohol or tobacco within the EU.
  • Options
    Fivefer for Archer
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Who is putting up a border? Not the UK.

How many troops does the EU have to police their hard border?
  • Options
    In other news, the weather looks perfect for my maiden cricket match tomorrow at Chester Le Street. Can't wait! I will be supporting Durham obviously.
  • Options
    Archer gets his Pfeiffer
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408

The Chief Constable of PSNI should stop being so negative and start believing in Britain.

Monday morning quarterbackers should stop being murder-friendly imbeciles and start listening to professional law enforcers.

Simon Byrne will have to deal with the relatives of policemen and women killed through the foly of politicians heeding advice from the Gallowgates of this worlde. Gallowgate merely has to sit on a computer and share his profound ignorance of Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

The fact Boris has had to go crawling to Berlin and Paris is pretty humiliating.

Quite funny how the no deal cult are celebrating the humiliation.

I wonder what mark Boris will get in his homework for Ms Merkel and Mr Macron.

I’m guessing an E.

He had to go crawling? There may have been negotiation, but what has he conceded?
    Boris himself said he wouldn’t meet any EU leaders until they had agreed to remove the backstop.

He’s just making himself look even more of a fool than he already is.
    And they have agreed to remove the backstop, if a replacement is found. Mission accomplished. This is progress
    If we had a solution why would we need to remove the backstop which only kicks in if there isn’t a solution after the transition period?
    Because the only way to get a solution is for both sides to compromise and agreeing the backstop removes the EU's incentive to compromise.

A solution is possible if the backstop isn't. Agree the backstop and the solution is no longer available.
    That’s ridiculous and suggests that you actually believe the back stop is a conspiracy of the EU to lock us into the customs union. If there is a technical solution which after two yoga’s of transition is proved to work then the back stop doesn't kick in. If it doesn’t work then we need the back stop, they would be mad to remove the backstop as it’s successful removal could be agreed in the next stage.
    Yes I do believe the backstop is a conspiracy of the EU to lock us into terms of their choosing.

You seem to madly be believing a technical solution is something that actually exists like a solution to a formula. A solution is something we need both parties to CREATE via compromising and only by both parties compromising will it be possible.
    There is binding arbitration baked into the Withdrawal Agreement. If the EU is not sincere in either negotiating an FTA or in finding a technical solution, then they will find themselves being ruled against.

Now, @Sandpit makes the excellent point that they could probably bugger around for a couple of years before the wheels of international arbitration finally turn. But there is no way they could keep us indefinitely, unless you believe that the various international courts of arbitration are all EU puppets.
  • Options
    Flanner said:

Monday morning quarterbackers should stop being murder-friendly imbeciles and start listening to professional law enforcers.

Simon Byrne will have to deal with the relatives of policemen and women killed through the foly of politicians heeding advice from the Gallowgates of this worlde. Gallowgate merely has to sit on a computer and share his profound ignorance of Northern Ireland.
    Come on man, I was being sarcastic.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited August 2019
    Deleted
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

The hard men might not care who put it up.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    So, what you're saying is that No Deal Brexit will give our armed forces valuable new experience.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yes I do believe the backstop is a conspiracy of the EU to lock us into terms of their choosing.

You seem to madly be believing a technical solution is something that actually exists like a solution to a formula. A solution is something we need both parties to CREATE via compromising and only by both parties compromising will it be possible.

There is binding arbitration baked into the Withdrawal Agreement. If the EU is not sincere in either negotiating an FTA or in finding a technical solution, then they will find themselves being ruled against.

Now, @Sandpit makes the excellent point that they could probably bugger around for a couple of years before the wheels of international arbitration finally turn. But there is no way they could keep us indefinitely, unless you believe that the various international courts of arbitration are all EU puppets.
    This idea that a solution is some immutable and perfect option that needs to exist is absurd. We are human, life isn't perfect, we accept imperfection and compromise all the time. See the inability to stop smuggling of cheap alcohol and tobacco from France already.

Its possible to be sincere while still refusing to compromise because you have a backstop. While it is possible to compromise if there is no alternative agreed.

To make a sporting analogy how a tennis player serve is different when they have a fault already compared to when they don't. Remove the 'double-fault' rule and tennis players play would be different without being insincere or wrong either way.

Remove the backstop and the incentive will be greater on the EU to compromise. To accept imperfection and the risk of smuggling. Keep the backstop and they lose the need to. Either way while operating in good faith.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited August 2019

Flanner said:

Come on man, I was being sarcastic.
    A little bit of lea way for a new poster that doesn’t understand some of our entrenched positions! Top marks to Topping to put his views on the line wether you agree or not. I haven’t got the linguistic skills and many wouldn’t be interested in ‘letter from the costa’ anyway but maybe some of more prolific posters could take time out and take the same risk as Topping
  • Options

In other news, the weather looks perfect for my maiden cricket match tomorrow at Chester Le Street. Can't wait! I will be supporting Durham obviously.

First cricket match? How young are you? Or have you been living in Germany all these years?
  • Options
    What a collapse from Australia. Shame about the third wicket partnership but honestly an almost perfect day.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767
    A hard border exists now - ROI and UK are not the same country.

You can get very clearly arrested for crimes of one sort one side, and crimes of another sort on the other. PB folk are likely to get arrested either side of course.

The ROI, and the US should simply forget the idea that they can intervene in British politics.
  • Options
    FPT
    eristdoof said:

This is a PM seeking a deal, a different deal but a deal nonetheless. Howabout supporting that ambition?

then

Its not a conspiracy theory, its logic. It is what their own side have said in their own words.

Absolutely if Johnson agrees it I will oppose it.

I thought you were in the "we need a brexit on 31st October, any kind of brexit" camp.
    I am. I think a deal can be done, and if it can be done it will be done now with everyone's backs against the wall against a ticking clock. This is the time for compromise.

Remove the deadline and there is no need to compromise, a deal won't be reached.

I don't believe there is a perfect alternative. I believe there is a "good enough" alternative and I believe "good enough" will only be agreed if there is no backstop and no extension.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    Interesting and well-documented piece, thanks.

A practical issue is that I understand that in the first weeks there will be no customs checks on lorries coming in, to avoid bottlenecks. If criminals read the papers too, it'll surely be open season for people-traffickers and drug smugglers to bring in huge numbers? You'd think they'd check 1% of lorries, just as a deterrent.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

So, what you're saying is that No Deal Brexit will give our armed forces valuable new experience.

Actual deployment of the HMS Gordon Brown? Are you mad?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

A practical issue is that I understand that in the first weeks there will be no customs checks on lorries coming in, to avoid bottlenecks. If criminals read the papers too, it'll surely be open season for people-traffickers and drug smugglers to bring in huge numbers? You'd think they'd check 1% of lorries, just as a deterrent.

But they can do that now, can't they?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    Evening all :)

The more I think about Trump and Greenland, the more I wonder if we are all missing a trick. When I raised the issue of sovereignty as a commodity with Philip Thompson, his line, which I appreciate, was not that the idea of purchasing Greenland was a bad idea per se but that Trump had gone about it in a ham-fisted way.

Indeed, Trump is far from being the first POTUS to have considered purchasing Greenland. I suspect it wouldn't be too difficult for the most powerful economy on the planet to make the Greenlanders an offer they would find hard to refuse in terms of personal and communal economic prosperity.

Put the offer on the table and put it to a vote of all residents.

I wonder whether the same might be true in Ulster. For decades after the creation of the Republic, said country looked poor and backward and distinctly unattractive relative to the prosperous North, propped up by London no doubt but enjoying a standard of economic life far beyond anything Dublin could offer.

Is that changing? Could a more confident and less religiously repressed Republic, supported by EU money, be in a position to make the people of the North an offer they couldn't refuse in terms of religious and political autonomy and continued unfettered access (through the SM) to European markets and EU funding as part of the Republic?

To what extent, despite our protestations, could our sovereignty and national identity really be for sale? What kind of offer would be one the majority of British people couldn't or wouldn't refuse? We've seen frightened people vote away their democratic rights - could we see greedy people sign away their national identity?

Isn't that, after all, how the UK came into being in the first place?

• Options

Those hard men who we were told had bought into the peace process, putting ther weapons beyond use? Those hard men?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

You can get very clearly arrested for crimes of one sort one side, and crimes of another sort on the other. PB folk are likely to get arrested either side of course.

The ROI, and the US should simply forget the idea that they can intervene in British politics.

Indeed. People act like it will be a new idea that [customs] duty may be required to be paid if you mean goods between Ireland and Northern Ireland, but try moving alcohol between Ireland and Northern Ireland for resale without declaring it and see what HMRC have to say about the matter.

Why aren't the army patrolling to ensure alcohol duty gets paid?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

Google WTO MFN big man.
  • Options
    @stodge - it has previously occurred to me that a united Ireland could be a win-win for us and Ireland if we can get the Germans to cough up the money to subsidise it.
  • Options
    17.1 overs, 3 maidens, 6 for 45. Those are some tasty figures.

Game on for the Ashes now.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Google WTO MFN big man.
    WTO MFN neither requires an army nor customs posts.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Take your pick from the playing fields of Eton or the hills of Brecon.

Northern Ireland did keep our armed forces tuned up.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Those hard men who we were told had bought into the peace process, putting ther weapons beyond use? Those hard men?
    Byrne was on the radio because of the latest "dissident" republican activity. A bomb in this case.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Omnium said:

Indeed. People act like it will be a new idea that [customs] duty may be required to be paid if you mean goods between Ireland and Northern Ireland, but try moving alcohol between Ireland and Northern Ireland for resale without declaring it and see what HMRC have to say about the matter.

You're wrong being in the EU allows free movement of tax paid goods over borders, which tax free goods are currently smuggled into NI? You have the proviso of ‘personal consumption’ but the reality is since the U.K. trashed its currency it’s better to bring in counterfeit products from Eastern Europe
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

First cricket match? How young are you? Or have you been living in Germany all these years?
    I grew up less than 7 miles from Edgbaston however for a football supporting city boy, cricket was never appealing.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Just as well Boris has said he will keep an open border on the Northern Ireland side whatever the Brexit outcome then isn't it
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    This is my 667th post. I didn't want to be stuck on the number before.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    tlg86 said:

@stodge - it has previously occurred to me that a united Ireland could be a win-win for us and Ireland if we can get the Germans to cough up the money to subsidise it.

Not in Protestant and Unionist majority Counties Antrim and Down
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Just as well Boris has said he will keep an open border on the Northern Ireland side whatever the Brexit outcome then isn't it

Boris says a lot of things.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

So you are suggesting re-partition along the Bann?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byrne was on the radio because of the latest "dissident" republican activity. A bomb in this case.
    INLA, Real IRA/New IRA - you saying these "dissidents" were just ahead of the Brexit game?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris has said he will do a lot of things and then does another. In fact that has been our Government's modus operandi on the island of Ireland for 800 years (Catholic Emancipation continually postponed, Home Rule never imlemented etc etc) which in-turn results in the total lack of trust in said Government on the Irish side that makes the backstop so important to them.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    An interesting piece, but why would the border necessarily be manned by the PSNI. It is Ireland's border too so surely they'd have to put some border bods there ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Why do you need a physical border?

Implement a trusted trader scheme off our own bat.

It’s up to the EU what the RoI does
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

TOPPING said:

INLA, Real IRA/New IRA - you saying these "dissidents" were just ahead of the Brexit game?
    I suppose the kneecapping the other day was in protest at a potential hard border too.......

• Options

The history of the IRA is one of essentially disappearing for a bit before returning a couple of generations later. In 1968 all they had were a few obsolete rifles left over from before the Border campaign.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    HYUFD said:

Thats ok the Irish and the EU have both said the same thing
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm pretty sure that it was the reverse. The British Army ceased to be an effective force in Ireland. They've just turned up ever since.

• Options
    If we can't get enough squaddies to man the border then there'll just have to be more telly adverts for them. (Although I personally believe the amount of hired killer job adverts on the TV is a bit high)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    I am appalled at my own ignorance in having to ask: is it an absolute given that a hard border leads immediately to a full-fat restitution of the Troubles? And why? And if not, surely the policing requirements for a brexit-caused hard border will be orders of magnitude less than those which obtained in the troubles?
  • Options
    Not one Unionist MLA from either the DUP or Ulster Unionist parties though
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I am appalled at my own ignorance in having to ask: is it an absolute given that a hard border leads immediately to a full-fat restitution of the Troubles? And why? And if not, surely the policing requirements for a brexit-caused hard border will be orders of magnitude less than those which obtained in the troubles?

"And why?"

Best ask Adams and co. Notice they've started a little bit early.

• Options
    Aren't joint Garda/PSNI customs points the answer here if something needs to be implemented ? I mean I doubt anything will be put in but I do think the economic disruption of no deal from the continent will far exceed Ireland where it's in neither sides interests to put up any sort of infrastructure.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

As a last resort yes but Boris will keep an open border anyway
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

QTWAIN
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He can't guarantee that.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Boris has said he will do a lot of things and then does another. In fact that has been our Government's modus operandi on the island of Ireland for 800 years (Catholic Emancipation continually postponed, Home Rule never imlemented etc etc) which in-turn results in the total lack of trust in said Government on the Irish side that makes the backstop so important to them.
    The British government have kept an open border in Ireland for 21 years
  • Options
    Topping comes across as your average tory (with a bit of a thing for HYUFD).

Now that I know he is an ex-squaddie I don't think I'll engage with him.
  • Options
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Yes we won't impose a hard border, if they want one that is up to them
  • Options
    May be the SDLP should talk to their sister party in London?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

He can't guarantee that.
    He can, he is PM
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I'm saying that Brexit will provide a catalyst if not act as recruiting sergeant. A hard border trebly so.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

An interesting piece, but why would the border necessarily be manned by the PSNI. It is Ireland's border too so surely they'd have to put some border bods there ?

If it's an international treaty obligation for example a WTO judgement then it would be beholden on the UK to uphold its obligations.
  • Options
    Also doesn't a hard Brexit trigger a NI unification poll under the terms of the Belfast Agreement ?
  • Options

If we can't get enough squaddies to man the border then there'll just have to be more telly adverts for them. (Although I personally believe the amount of hired killer job adverts on the TV is a bit high)

Completely wrong.

There are no 'squaddies'. They're us.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Omnium said:

You're wrong being in the EU allows free movement of tax paid goods over borders, which tax free goods are currently smuggled into NI? You have the proviso of ‘personal consumption’ but the reality is since the U.K. trashed its currency it’s better to bring in counterfeit products from Eastern Europe
    I didn't say tax free goods or for personal consumption did I? Reread my post.

Smuggling Alcohol across the border for resale is a crime. A crime that HMRC does not take lightly but also one that does not require the military or outposts to tackle.

There is no WTO MFN reason we can't allow an open border for personal consumption while requiring companies to manually declare duties just as alcohol importers for resale already have to today.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited August 2019
    It amuses me reading some of the comments on here about NI. I would have greater respect for the contents of these comments and their advocates if they had taken the time to visit NI and look at how things are on the ground at this time. Those who talk about repartitioning clearly could not give a toss for the unionists in some provinces who fly the union jack or other unionist displays of loyalty to the UK. One has to wonder when reading some posts whether the person writing them flys the union jack or wishes to remain in the UK as passionately as those they would disgard with equal claim as themselves to UK citizenship. If you actually take the time to visit NI and talk to people about how the last 20 years has seen a much better quality of life and more opportunities then you realise the stupidity of some of the glib suggestions on here!
  • Options
    Charles said:

Again, no it's not. If we have an open border for EU widgets we would need to have an open border for, say, US widgets. So either we have no tariffs for anything or we have a border
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Also doesn't a hard Brexit trigger a NI unification poll under the terms of the Belfast Agreement ?

No, there is no mention of Brexit under the GFA as it was not on the cards for 18 years.

Plus the First Minister of Northern Ireland until the suspension of Stormont was from the DUP not Sinn Fein
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

If it's an international treaty obligation for example a WTO judgement then it would be beholden on the UK to uphold its obligations.
    Does the same not also apply to RoI/EU?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

It makes it a more likely. You have a generation that has grown up being able to drive from Donegal to work/play in Derry, or visa versa, and the only noticeable change is the road signs. In an age of contactless cards even the currency issue is less noticeable. Then, all of a sudden, you get a reminder that there is a border there, a border that most Irish people consider to have been illegitimately imposed. I'm not going to get into an argument about whether it was, perception is everything. People in Derry, Tyrone, Fermanagh and Armagh find it harder to move about - more inconvenient. That starts feeding into a grievance that has been there for centuries, it did not start in 1968.

Imagine the French had successfully invaded us in 1805 and then in 1918 we had voted in a radical government that declared independence. After a bit of a struggle they agree to go but only if they can keep Kent, Sussex and Essex - because Kent now has a majority of French ancestry, which creates an overall majority in those three counties (even though Sussex and Essex alone remain majority English). Jokes about Essex aside that would be a very sore point indeed. And that's how people in Ireland see it. Having no boder there makes it just about tolerable.
  • Options

You'd think.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

These are the obligations for the EU/Ireland too. However it comes about a lack of a deal is a failure of both parties, not just us - Ireland will have to construct those border posts too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

As a last resort yes but Boris will keep an open border anyway
    How do I know serial adulterer Boris will keep his word? Can we partition England along leave/remain lines?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Completely wrong.

I think you'll find there are Squaddies - you know the people trained to kill people, and commit a hell of a lot of crime when the discontinue their employment - and then there are 'us', in my case the Lumpen
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

He can't guarantee that.
    He can, he is PM
    Not forever he's not.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm pretty sure that it was the reverse. The British Army ceased to be an effective force in Ireland. They've just turned up ever since.

Well, it was good for morale and, if not misused by the generals, might have been more useful in subsequent conflicts.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Completely wrong.

I think you'll find there are Squaddies - you know the people trained to kill people, and commit a hell of a lot of crime when the discontinue their employment - and then there are 'us', in my case the Lumpen
    offensive on so many levels
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Again, no it's not. If we have an open border for EU widgets we would need to have an open border for, say, US widgets. So either we have no tariffs for anything or we have a border
    But Ireland will be in breach too as they'll be letting our stuff in as well ?! These arguments apply both ways.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I'm saying that Brexit will provide a catalyst if not act as recruiting sergeant. A hard border trebly so.
    So we can agree that there is a core of nationalists/criminals who - despite the Good Friday Agreement, have never accepted its provisions, have remained armed and trained - and have made murderous attempts. And it has been nothing to do with Brexit.

American lawmakers seem to be relaxed about this. You'd think Nanci Pelosi would have been more concerned that there's a group been actively flaunting the GFA since it was signed.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

How we enforce the border is up to us.

We say that EU widgets must follow our laws and duty must be paid on EU imports. We say the same for US imports. Problem solved.

On the Irish border we enforce that away from the border by prosecuting smugglers that we catch rather than border posts. The law is still the same.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

The more I think about Trump and Greenland, the more I wonder if we are all missing a trick. When I raised the issue of sovereignty as a commodity with Philip Thompson, his line, which I appreciate, was not that the idea of purchasing Greenland was a bad idea per se but that Trump had gone about it in a ham-fisted way.

Indeed, Trump is far from being the first POTUS to have considered purchasing Greenland. I suspect it wouldn't be too difficult for the most powerful economy on the planet to make the Greenlanders an offer they would find hard to refuse in terms of personal and communal economic prosperity.

Put the offer on the table and put it to a vote of all residents.

I wonder whether the same might be true in Ulster. For decades after the creation of the Republic, said country looked poor and backward and distinctly unattractive relative to the prosperous North, propped up by London no doubt but enjoying a standard of economic life far beyond anything Dublin could offer.

Is that changing? Could a more confident and less religiously repressed Republic, supported by EU money, be in a position to make the people of the North an offer they couldn't refuse in terms of religious and political autonomy and continued unfettered access (through the SM) to European markets and EU funding as part of the Republic?

To what extent, despite our protestations, could our sovereignty and national identity really be for sale? What kind of offer would be one the majority of British people couldn't or wouldn't refuse? We've seen frightened people vote away their democratic rights - could we see greedy people sign away their national identity?

Isn't that, after all, how the UK came into being in the first place?

Back in the 1990s during a rare period of Argentinian economic stability it was suggested that they buy the Falklands at £1m per person.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I think it will be a focal point for dissident republican groups and in turn will provoke reprisals by unionist groups.

This was a police station during the troubles.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/859388.stm

Sorry for the formatting.
  • Options

Topping comes across as your average tory (with a bit of a thing for HYUFD).

Now that I know he is an ex-squaddie I don't think I'll engage with him.

Please engage to your heart's content.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Does the same not also apply to RoI/EU?
    Yes I'm sure it does.
  • Options
    Was the Irish border ever hard ?

And wasn't there various roads which passed from one country to another and then back again ?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So we can agree that there is a core of nationalists/criminals who - despite the Good Friday Agreement, have never accepted its provisions, have remained armed and trained - and have made murderous attempts. And it has been nothing to do with Brexit.

American lawmakers seem to be relaxed about this. You'd think Nanci Pelosi would have been more concerned that there's a group been actively flaunting the GFA since it was signed.
    The Irish lobby in the US is very powerful. US politicians cannot surpress guns on their own turf and could not care less about something that would lose them votes...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

If you have a border post then that will prove to be a target for those republicans. At present there is no such focal point. So you would have to protect it and so it escalates.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

These are the obligations for the EU/Ireland too. However it comes about a lack of a deal is a failure of both parties, not just us - Ireland will have to construct those border posts too.
    For sure but that doesn't obviate the need for us to have them.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

And wasn't there various roads which passed from one country to another and then back again ?

Yes, there were custom posts on the border.

https://images.theconversation.com/files/219759/original/file-20180521-14950-1ru31da.jpg
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

@TOPPING for decades politics was a fig leaf. The PIRA was more about Catholic lack of rights initially and then criminality. The gangs still exist and the police turn a blind eye. If that carries on violence will continue at a similar level.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

We say that EU widgets must follow our laws and duty must be paid on EU imports. We say the same for US imports. Problem solved.

On the Irish border we enforce that away from the border by prosecuting smugglers that we catch rather than border posts. The law is still the same.
    Managing this poses real issues because of the highly integrated cross-border economy – farms, villages and daily commutes all straddle the border. So how we enforce the border away from it is not entirely up to us. Without Irish co-operation it is, in practice, not possible.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

I'm no HMRC expert but how do you catch smugglers if not at the border?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

If you have a border post then that will prove to be a target for those republicans. At present there is no such focal point. So you would have to protect it and so it escalates.
    You keep assuming there will be border posts rather than enforcing the border through other means.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

We have said we have no need for those border posts. We will address enforcement away form the border.

As I said at the start of this dialogue, it is the EU that will be building those posts. And defending them. Now we see why the EU needs its own army.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

The EU absolutely hasn't said that. Merkel was going on about protecting the Single Market yesterday.
  • Options

• Options
    RobD said:

Yes, there were custom posts on the border.

https://images.theconversation.com/files/219759/original/file-20180521-14950-1ru31da.jpg
    Was that on every road ?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    Food for thought, Topping.
  • Options

It was hard and those 40,000 troops spent a lot of time in woods and streams trying to ensure its integrity.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

A *physical* border is not the same as zero tariff.

The vast bulk of trading is done by a small number of firms. Register them, have self declaration and spot checks
This discussion has been closed.