Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting markets respond to Johnson’s Charles the First Mov

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited August 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting markets respond to Johnson’s Charles the First Move

My view is that this is Downing Street’s response to the agreement yesterday between all the opposition parties on the best way of stopping no deal. Number 10 can see the challenges ahead so why not use what power it has to curtail parliamentary time?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,890
    first
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    2nd rate like the conservatives
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    Sturgeon calling Boris frit and rightly so.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,377
    edited August 2019
    Sic semper tyrannis.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    edited August 2019
    FPT

Whilst the proposal by the government is obviously (purposefully) provocative, it is definitely within their power and the norm when a Queen's speech happens. That a Queen's speech is needed now is debatable, but not unjustifiable.

What I find interesting is that there is still a week of business in the first bit of September where Parliament could easily do another Letwin / Cooper, and pass emergency legislation demanding that "if there is no deal agree by X date, the PM must ask the EU for an extension, and if offered one, accept it".

There is also enough time after the Oct 14th to enforce said emergency legislation or VONC the government if it looks like Johnson will refuse to do it. So really it is some can kicking to reduce parliamentary accountability (bad) but not the coup it looks like.

I don't disagree with Chorley too much, other than to suggest the Remain side have fewer levers of power to enact their wishes, and rather than dithering losing to ACTION, it is those without the power of government trying to find a route to power and Johnson just having those levers easily at his disposal.

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1166625995736178689
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Whether people like it or not, the Queen gets involved here. This is not "normal" prorogation.
  • Options
    This is likely to give Boris a huge polling boost...along with the LD's.

The corollary doesn't need articulating.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Labour MP Neil Coyle on Johnson proroguing parliament: "He's too scared to call an election, he's too scared to support the people having another vote, he's scared to have negotiations with the EU and he's even too scared to allow MPs to debate his plans"
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Time for Boris's opponents to hold their nerve. Boris clearly fears a VONC less than being forced in law to request an extension. So immediate motion to claim parliamentary time needed, and VONC on Sept 11th only if this + attempts to block prorogation fail.

Having said that, would just love Her Majesty to tell Rees-Mogg to do one and scuttle back to London.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Yeah, think this will be true.

Another sesh of parliament taking over business of the house, passage of a "you must extend A50 if no deal is likely" bill, and Johnson gets his Him vs Parliament election in November.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    No they will fight over who will become PM even for 2 weeks rather than killing No Deal Brexit or probably, any Brexit, stone dead.
  • Options

Well the view in my office is 100% in favour of what Boris has done. As one chap put it MPs have had three years to sort this out and all they have done is try to stop Brexit. Whether the view of my office will be reflected nationwide I have no idea.
  • Options

Well the view in my office is 100% in favour of what Boris has done. As one chap put it MPs have had three years to sort this out and all they have done is try to stop Brexit. Whether the view of my office will be reflected nationwide I have no idea.
    It doesn't.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Kalimera from the Ionian Islands.

A lot of confected outrage from Remainers here. Their main complaint seems to be that Boris is subverting British democracy, and thereby preventing Remainers from subverting British democracy.

Brilliant post!
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Time for Boris's opponents to hold their nerve. Boris clearly fears a VONC less than being forced in law to request an extension. So immediate motion to claim parliamentary time needed, and VONC on Sept 11th only if this + attempts to block prorogation fail.

Having said that, would just love Her Majesty to tell Rees-Mogg to do one and scuttle back to London.

I think Lib Dems and Labour should gulp their conferences and make Parliament sit through. They don't have to cancel them except MPs need to be at Westminster.
  • Options

I think Boris is far from frit.

He has taken an enormous gamble staking everything on challenging the HOC.

Sir Anthony Seldon has just said on Sky that Boris either wins this and becomes another Thatcher/Churchill or loses everything

It has astounded me and must apologise to HYUFD who maintained he would do this and I rejected his confidence. HYUFD was correct
  • Options
    I suspect Boris Johnson will win a snap election and deliver a No Deal Brexit.

But by 2024 a party committee will win a majority on a platform to take us back in the EU without a referendum.

Pro EU people will ultimately end up thanking Boris Johnson for his actions.

We all know Leave would not have won the referendum if they had promised No Deal.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,870
    21st
  • Options

Sir Anthony Seldon has just said on Sky that Boris either wins this and becomes another Thatcher/Churchill or loses everything

It has astounded me and must apologise to HYUFD who maintained he would do this and I rejected his confidence. HYUFD was correct
    He's frit because he won't call an election to gain a mandate because he's scared of what the public might vote for.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964

tpfkar said:

I think Lib Dems and Labour should gulp their conferences and make Parliament sit through. They don't have to cancel them except MPs need to be at Westminster.
    You don't need the VoNC on September 11th - you ask for it on the 11th and hold it instead of a Queen's speech on October 14th.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

The view from Eastleigh ?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,870

Hope she is not the same with Indyref2 next year
  • Options

It doesn't.
    Have you conducted a survey?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Squeal, little Remain piggies, squeal....

And don't you DARE have the temerity to scream about it being a "democratic outrage".
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Do you think HYUFD is Johnson ? When he said he was going to Portugal, he meant Biarritz.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The view from Eastleigh ?
    Absolutely, and this is Lib Dem land
  • Options

It doesn't.
    Evidence ?
  • Options
    Having had a think about it, this looks likely to deliver a strong short-term boost for Johnson that should get him over the No Deal line and then a successful general election. But I do not see how the Tories avoid an absolute pasting from there on in. Johnson has told us that No Deal will be no problem and he has decided to suspend Parliament because he is so certain of that. There is nowhere to run, no-one else to blame if he turns out to be wrong.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Everyone just needs to take a deep breath.

Lots of over-excited posting might seem like a good idea. But it never is.
  • Options

It doesn't.
    Professional polling companies such as YouGov have. Yes.
  • Options

It doesn't.
    Evidence ?
    Opinion polls?
  • Options

Whether people like it or not, the Queen gets involved here. This is not "normal" prorogation.

Very awkward for the Queen, if it gets that far; but I doubt it will.
  • Options

He's frit because he won't call an election to gain a mandate because he's scared of what the public might vote for.
    He is deliberately goading the HOC to a vonc so he can fight on the people v parliament
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Scott_P said:

Labour MP Neil Coyle on Johnson proroguing parliament: "He's too scared to call an election, he's too scared to support the people having another vote, he's scared to have negotiations with the EU and he's even too scared to allow MPs to debate his plans"

I don't mean to be unkind to him but Neil Coyle stood as the Labour candidate in our school mock election in 1997. I think he came last.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited August 2019
    In all the huffing and puffing, anger, angst, opinions and declarations of democratic outrage, is the following true?

today’s announced prorogation that will result in Parliament losing only 4 sitting days.

If so, some more balanced perspective is required rather than knee jerk sound bites.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Scott_P said:
    That's my view too. Philip Hammond has already come out strongly against it (though he hasn't committed to a course of action). The squeamishness of anti-no dealer Conservatives is likely to be overcome though.
  • Options

Do you think HYUFD is Johnson ? When he said he was going to Portugal, he meant Biarritz.
    He is close to IDS and on this he forecast it yesterday.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,825

It's real fun to watch.
  • Options

Having had a think about it, this looks likely to deliver a strong short-term boost for Johnson that should get him over the No Deal line and then a successful general election. But I do not see how the Tories avoid an absolute pasting from there on in. Johnson has told us that No Deal will be no problem and he has decided to suspend Parliament because he is so certain of that. There is nowhere to run, no-one else to blame if he turns out to be wrong.

He will blame the undemocratic EU. "They" will be at fault. He will do a Trump except he is more intelligent than Trump.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Can anyone explain how Grieve's previously passed amendment to the NI bill that seemed to prevent prorogation no longer applies?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964

If? Given where we will end up if we leave without a deal I don't see an if there.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    I think Boris wins from most outcomes here (in the short term)

If there’s a VONC and a GE after Brexit he will likely win, unless it’s a swiftly disastrous hard Brexit
    If there’s a VONC and a GE before Brexit he will very probably win.
    If Corbyn becomes a caretaker PM just to prevent Brexit Boris will absolutely sweep the following GE.
    If a caretaker PM like Clarke scuppers Brexit, Boris again gets an outraged landslide

But it is fiendishly complicated. And therefore, still, a huge gamble.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    That's my view too. Philip Hammond has already come out strongly against it (though he hasn't committed to a course of action). The squeamishness of anti-no dealer Conservatives is likely to be overcome though.
    Yes, I'm inclined to agree. The unpopularity of the move is likely to make it easier for them to take a principled position.
  • Options

It doesn't.
    Professional polling companies such as YouGov have. Yes.
    Since his annoucement this morning?
  • Options

It doesn't.
    Evidence ?
    Opinion polls?
    There has not been a poll on this massive change . The weekends polls will be interesting

I expect Boris will get a boost and the lib dems
  • Options
    Byronic said:

A lot of confected outrage from Remainers here. Their main complaint seems to be that Boris is subverting British democracy, and thereby preventing Remainers from subverting British democracy.

Morning, Sean :)
  • Options

Sound advice
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Scott_P said:
    Yes, I'm inclined to agree. The unpopularity of the move is likely to make it easier for them to take a principled position.
    "This isn't about Brexit, this is about democracy" will, I expect, be the line to take.

For those who are not completely signed up to trashing the constitution in the name of leaving the EU, it will have a lot of purchase.
  • Options

But by 2024 a party committee will win a majority on a platform to take us back in the EU without a referendum.

We all know Leave would not have won the referendum if they had promised No Deal.

We will never go back in. Why? The NHS. It top trumps everything.

Anyone proposing to rejoin gets asked this on every doorstep: "So, which hopsitals are you going to close to pay for our massive annual fees?"
  • Options

He will blame the undemocratic EU. "They" will be at fault. He will do a Trump except he is more intelligent than Trump.

The polling shows the majority is not buying that now. I doubt things will improve once No Deal actually swings into action.

• Options

Scott_P said:
    I think there are about 20 or so Tory MPs for whom this was going to be their last Parliament or the next one would have been. What have they got to lose ? Their Association would probably expel them anyway.
    What has Hammond got to lose ? He has been CoE for a few years. He could easily do a VoNC. So could Clarke and after today one or two more ditherers.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I already posted that the people in my office have taken a positive view on this action
  • Options

Are we talking about the cricket again?
  • Options

Byronic said:

Δεν είμαι αυτός
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2019

Anyone proposing to rejoin gets asked this on every doorstep: "So, which hopsitals are you going to close to pay for our massive annual fees?"
    They're not massive, certainly not compared to the costs of no-deal.
  • Options
    Paging @Foxy, Where's the "Warren steamroller" ?

Real Clear poll averages

Biden 27.3
    Sanders 19.2
    Warren 16.0
    Harris 7.2

Not much sign of it here either :

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/
  • Options

Sic semper tyrannis.

-That's impossible! How will The Boris maintain control without the bureaucracy?
    -The regional PB Leavers now have direct control over their territories. Project Fear will keep the Remainers in line. Fear of this battle station.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Δεν είμαι αυτός
    I thought Trump said he was the one?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

If there’s a VONC and a GE after Brexit he will likely win, unless it’s a swiftly disastrous hard Brexit
    If Corbyn becomes a caretaker PM just to prevent Brexit Boris will absolutely sweep the following GE.
    If a caretaker PM like Clarke scuppers Brexit, Boris again gets an outraged landslide

The best comment I have seen on this is that it is all very well initiating a constitiutional crisis, but having done so you are no longer in control of events. The chances are that Johnson is successfull in the short-term, but we have not seen anything like this before so no-one really knows what is going to happen. It's hard to see how the courts will not be ionvolved, for example.
  • Options

Yeah, different offices in different places have different views. My office seems pretty outraged, but then we're at a uni and heart of Remania near St Albans.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    148grss said:
    He seems to have recovered from Tourettes.
  • Options

And that would be more lies.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    I just dont see how this can be justified. Yes, parliament is seeking ways to reverse its own decision to enact the referendum result, but that can be opposed in parliament and if Boris thinks he will lose in parliament then he will only lose even harder when it must come back at some point.

One tries to avoid hysteria, and with the Bercows and Grieves against it makes siding with arseholes like them who have been so praised for indulging in arcane procedure difficult to swallow - they love to use arcane procedures when it helps them - but when the only explanation for why this is happening is because the government lacks support in the house and fears something else would have support, that just does not seem sufficient justification.

We would lose a vote is not grounds to throw a temper tantrum like this.
  • Options

They're not massive.
    We won’t ever go back in because, after this trauma, the EU would demand - as the price for our re-entry - some sign of total and permanent commitment. It is obvious what that would be: sign up to Schenghen, adopt the euro. That will never fly in the UK. We’re out for good.

On the other hand, I can easily see us joining EFTA and the Single Market without a referendum, possibly very soon, if Brexit is a disaster.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Yeah, different offices in different places have different views. My office seems pretty outraged, but then we're at a uni and heart of Remania near St Albans.
    An encouraging sign for my book - I think the Tories can win 400 seats and still probably lose St Albans.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

They're not massive.
    We won’t ever go back in because, after this trauma, the EU would demand - as the price for our re-entry - some sign of total and permanent commitment. It is obvious what that would be: sign up to Schenghen, adopt the euro. That will never fly in the UK. We’re out for good.

On the other hand, I can easily see us joining EFTA and the Single Market without a referendum, possibly very soon, if Brexit is a disaster.
    It will when little England realises its place in the world.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

Easy - the savings on medicines through our membership of the European Medicines Agency and ease of import, and economic boost due to membership of the single market and restored access to the EU's trade deals (and economies of scale on European agencies) will mean a significant boost in funds available to the NHS compared to our no-deal exit.

I always thought you saw the Brexit argument in nuance and shades of grey - seems that everything is getting more polarised sadly.

• Options
    geoffw said:

148grss said:
    Careful, you'll have Tourette's Action on you like a ton of bricks!

"Tourette's is a lifetime condition, not one from which a sufferer can "recover"...."
  • Options
    That said, I agree with the thinking this forces starker choices on mps, who have still been pussyfooting around various unpalatable options, and that might be positive in the long run.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Easy - the savings on medicines through our membership of the European Medicines Agency and ease of import, and economic boost due to membership of the single market and restored access to the EU's trade deals (and economies of scale on European agencies) will mean a significant boost in funds available to the NHS compared to our no-deal exit.

I always thought you saw the Brexit argument in nuance and shades of grey - seems that everything is getting more polarised sadly.
    Good luck running that argument. It hasn't worked since 1973.....
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804
    Boris!!!!! :D
  • Options

geoffw said:

148grss said:
    Careful, you'll have Tourette's Action on you like a ton of bricks!

"Tourette's is a lifetime condition, not one from which a sufferer can "recover"...."
    I thought he suffered from Florets....
  • Options
    Arlene Foster says it is the right thing to do. So DUP on side
  • Options

Byronic said:

The best comment I have seen on this is that it is all very well initiating a constitiutional crisis, but having done so you are no longer in control of events. The chances are that Johnson is successfull in the short-term, but we have not seen anything like this before so no-one really knows what is going to happen. It's hard to see how the courts will not be ionvolved, for example.
    Seems about right to me. Yes they’ve got a plan, but is it enough? This Brexit endgame is more like a constitutional war than normal politics. And we all know what happens to brilliant plans when the fighting starts.

It’s a clever, intriguing gamble by Boris and Dom, but also very risky.
  • Options
    Any word from Farage yet?

*noises off of foxes being shot....*
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

Scott_P said:

I don't mean to be unkind to him but Neil Coyle stood as the Labour candidate in our school mock election in 1997. I think he came last.
    And yet he is an MP deciding matters of state and here you are.
  • Options

You seem to be suggesting that having those racists, homophobes and sectarians on side is a good thing.
  • Options

DUP content with no representative assembly being in place, shocker.
  • Options

You seem to be suggesting that having those racists, homophobes and sectarians on side is a good thing.
    I am reporting the news and answering queries from previous posters

I have no love for the DUP
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Byronic said:

He is definitely a gambler, and was not bluffing about no deal. It's no guarantee it works out for him but clearly he thinks he at least has a shot. It'll be harrowing to see if hes right or not.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600

It is certainly not "normal" that the current parliamentary session has lasted more than two years, by a long way the lengthiest in parliamentary history. Most sessions have been little more than half the length of the current one and it had to end at some point. Sessions usually end after a calendar year (with less than 200 sitting days) and are followed by a recess. Last year, the usual parliamentary conference recess lasted from 13th September to 9th October. This year there will also be a new Queen's Speech and Johnson is extending the length of that recess by about 1 week.

Up to now, all the Remainer outrage had been directed at the assumed scenario that Johnson would not bring parliament back until after 31st October. He is not doing that, as Johnson has made it clear that parliament will be in place to have to the opportunity to react to whatever comes out of the European Council on 17th/18th October and to ratify (or reject) any offer made.

Apart from many of the comments here, what is totally over the top in the context is the Leader of the Opposition's reaction, that is, Bercow's.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Byronic said:

I much prefer that we Brexit after Johnson wins a GE after MPs prevent him from proroguing and taking us out without a deal on October 31st. At least that way the British people would have assented directly to the policy being implemented.

To take us out, without a deal, after suspending the Commons to prevent MPs from stopping him from doing so - this is the stuff of tinpot dictatorships and I can never be reconciled to it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804
    Bollocks To Bercow! :D
  • Options
    Jezza might not, but McDonnell would...regardless of what Boris has or hasn't done in the past.
  • Options
    philiph said:

In all the huffing and puffing, anger, angst, opinions and declarations of democratic outrage, is the following true?

today’s announced prorogation that will result in Parliament losing only 4 sitting days.

If so, some more balanced perspective is required rather than knee jerk sound bites.

Which was totally predictable and therefore part of the plan.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    edited August 2019
    kle4 said:

Byronic said:

He is definitely a gambler, and was not bluffing about no deal. It's no guarantee it works out for him but clearly he thinks he at least has a shot. It'll be harrowing to see if hes right or not.
    Suppose it's a shitshow. He is in power for a further five years and five years hence the shitshow will either be mitigated or people will have become used to it plus, he would say then: "now is not the time for a change, given the ongoing crisis". I mean that latter might mean he suspends elections given a national emergency. Who knows what Cummings has in mind.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,231
    Scott_P said:
    Nope. He has done himself a favour by bringing things to a head instead of a drift into endless prevarication.

But this is terrible and reminds me of an abusive relationship with the offender screaming at their battered spouse, "look what you made me do". The offender is always wrong in that scenario and so is Boris.
  • Options
    Quite. 'Would I defend it if my opponent did it?' Is a good general test to see if a matter is truly about principle. This is definitely not.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,300

Any word from Farage yet?

*noises off of foxes being shot....*

Yes, Boris has moved so far to the right that he's squashed Nigel to a thickness of one millimetre. To save himself from total irrelevance, Nigel should seek to occupy the Brexit centre ground: 'Throughout my decades of leading the campaign to leave the EU, I always maintained that some sort of deal would be in everyone's interest. Johnson and the Tories are threatening our prosperity and place in the world with their extreme and dogmatic isolationism.'
  • Options
    Reminds me of when it seemed May was practically trying to get her own MPs to no confidence her. One could almost believe it is a conspiracy and Boris really wants to lose a no confidence vote so he can have his election and it not be his fault, but hes worried Tory MPs are too gutless.
  • Options

Byronic said:

They're not massive.

It will when little England realises its place in the world.
    I get your point but I’m not sure England will ever realise it’s true place in the world, or not for a very long time. Why?

Being in Greece, as I am, I can give one answer. Everyone here now speaks English (and I’m not in a touristy town). What’s more when foreigners and Greeks collide, they resort to English (even when there are no native English speakers present). The Chinese speak English to the Germans who speak English to the Spaniards, Brazilians, and Epirots.

All the signs are bilingual - English and Greek. All the menus, road signs, etc

When your language is so hegemonic it is difficult not to feel that your island, which gave birth to this language and culture, is exceptional.

English exceptionalism will endure. Whether that is good or bad who knows. Probably bad. But it is a thing. The cricket only makes it worse....
This discussion has been closed.