Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The flaw in going into an election about “the will of the peop

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited August 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The flaw in going into an election about “the will of the people” is that those thinking Brexit was wrong have a 6% lead

This polling Tracker from YouGov has been asked at least twice a month since the 2016 referendum and the big trend is that there has been a shift from those thinking Brexit was right to those thinking that brexit was wrong.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Loving the Remainer tears. :D
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited August 2019
    The 'wrong' vote is more split than the 'right' vote.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Still 53% to go for, Boris.....
  • Options
    And key is if the 'dont knows' swing behind get it done, I'm bored with brexit
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    GIN1138 said:

I'm not seeing tears - to be honest I want this over with so that the show trials can begin.
  • Options
    If Boris only gets 41% at the next election, he'll be fine and dandy..... Working majority. And a party cleansed of the Remain plottters.
  • Options
    The crucial percentage however is those that voted for No Deal.

We don't know what it was back then, because the Leave Campaign pretty much disavowed the idea at the time. We do however have a pretty good idea what it is now, so we can judge from that how much difficulty BJ would have at a GE, whether before or after Brexit.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

If Boris only gets 41% at the next election, he'll be fine and dandy..... Working majority. And a party cleansed of the Remain plottters.

Bring it on! I would enjoy seeing the Blonde Buffoon get trounced.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Before too many tears are shed about Ruth lets not forget her involvement in the 2017 general election when she and Theresa thought it would be a good idea to tell elderly English voters they were going to take their fuel allowance off them but carry on giving it to elderly Scottish voters.

As I correctly identified on here on the day of the announcement, that was the beginning of the end of Theresa May's majority and Ruth Davidson was heavily involved in the fiasco...
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Good to see Priti sorting out the surge of Channel crossings by illegal migrants today. Whose got the tankers and hostages Iran illegally holding top of their to do list, what’s being done about that? We’ve capitulated and freed their tanker.

Okay, on topic, let’s not get sidetracked here: There’s only one action very top of Boris to do list, whats the alternate plan for the backstop. Boris has to turn round that 6 point deficit. He has to make brexit right. He has to make brexit work.

The backstop is there to avoid a hard border across Ireland when UK and EU are operating different customs regimes. The hard border not only breaks treaties signed up to by the UK government, in practice it will become focal for protest, likely end up with British troops manning it to protect it. The previous PMs negotiation came up with this backstop, did not come up with an alternative even in face of mortal destruction of her political career. Boris governments official policy is not “we don’t like the backstop so no backstop” the only honest policy and realistic negotiation is an alternative plan to be agreed with EU replacing proposed backstop, indeed something Boris with customary oomph agreed to have settled in just 30 days last week accepting it was up to Britain to provide a solution, he said he was "more than happy" with the "blistering timetable" Merkel had set out.

So Boris, the EU heads of state and negotiators, the British people, infact the whole world is waiting to hear your plan for alternative backstop, your timetable is ticking down. Where’s your backstop alternative?
  • Options
    FPT
    TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

‪I have never really given much thought to the monarchy as an institution - and am a firm fan of the Queen. But today I’m thinking that maybe an elected president would have more scope to refuse a request by an unelected Prime Minister with no mandate to close Parliament down.‬

The time to change the monarchs influence is on the passing of the queen

I have no desire to see Charles head of state
    No one cares what you think, Big G. It's the way the monarchy works.
    I really do not mind who cares, it is just the monarchy is an anachronism that needs to go
    Disgraceful comment from a supposed patriot.
    Being a patriot means you have to be pro the continuation of the monarchy?
    Yes.
    With respect that is nonsense
    I don't want your respect. To be a patriot means you love your country and, according to Webster's, would be willing to fight for it. Let's leave that last bit out and go with love your country a lot.

A republican, such as yourself, does not love this country. He loves another country that this one, that the UK is not; one without a monarch as head of state. That means you are not a patriot.
    Your second paragraph is a non sequitur. It is perfectly possible for a republican to love his country - indeed he might love it more as a consequence of it having ceased to be a monarchy.
    You're late to the game but to repeat, he cannot love it if he wants to change its constitution fundamentally. He would love what it might become and he might love the potential for it to be something else, but as currently constituted he does not love it.

But we've moved on, everyone who commented agreed that I was right.
    The arrogance of your last sentence is breathtaking
  • Options

That does not exactly end the agony though, does it?
  • Options
    eek said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm not seeing tears - to be honest I want this over with so that the show trials can begin.
    Show trials :D
  • Options

Nothing will. We have a lifetime of this nonsense ahead whether we are in or out
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744

It doesn't. But in the mind of many of the dont knows/dont cares they might well expect it does and act accordingly.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,315
    edited August 2019
    Jeez, what a choice.

Guess it would have to Corbyn though. He's less of a proven liar and he is not actively selling his country down the river, yet.
  • Options
    FPT @Peter_the_Punter

...People are, I think, becoming more aware now just how much support there was pre-war for cosying up to the Nazis.

(This gives me a chance to plug one of my favorite books - Making Friends With Hitler by Ian Kershaw, a biography of Lord Londonderry. He was Minister for Aviation in the 1930s and invited many a Nazi dignitary, including Goebbels, to his country pile in Ireland. I suppose you'd have to say he was not so much a bad man as a 'useful idiot' for the Nazis, as Churchill put it. Good job there are no useful idiots around today! Think of the damage they would cause. Btw, if you have seen the film Remains Of The Day, Londonderry is played beautifully by James Fox. The name was changed to Lord Darlington though, presumably for legal reasons.)

I thought of "Remains of the Day" when I started reading your post, so a pleasant surprise when I reached the end of the post :)

There is also Philip K Dick's "The Man in the High Castle" (the book, not the trashy TV version) in which the Nazis run Europe and East of the Rockies and there is very little to reccommend the fascist SoB's ;)
  • Options

FPT

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

‪I have never really given much thought to the monarchy as an institution - and am a firm fan of the Queen. But today I’m thinking that maybe an elected president would have more scope to refuse a request by an unelected Prime Minister with no mandate to close Parliament down.‬

I really do not mind who cares, it is just the monarchy is an anachronism that needs to go
    Yes.
    I don't want your respect. To be a patriot means you love your country and, according to Webster's, would be willing to fight for it. Let's leave that last bit out and go with love your country a lot.

A republican, such as yourself, does not love this country. He loves another country that this one, that the UK is not; one without a monarch as head of state. That means you are not a patriot.
    Your second paragraph is a non sequitur. It is perfectly possible for a republican to love his country - indeed he might love it more as a consequence of it having ceased to be a monarchy.
    You're late to the game but to repeat, he cannot love it if he wants to change its constitution fundamentally. He would love what it might become and he might love the potential for it to be something else, but as currently constituted he does not love it.

I am sure you know it already but Topping is talking nonsense, of course you can be a patriot who wants changes.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I for one would actively campaign for Don't Know. If Refused puts together a decent policy offering, I could be swayed in that direction.
  • Options

It doesn't. But in the mind of many of the dont knows/dont cares they might well expect it does and act accordingly.
    One of Peter Kellner's favorite aphorisms was 'People who Don't Know, don't vote'.
  • Options

Jeez, what a choice.

Guess it would have to Corbyn though. He's less of a proven liar and he is not actively selling his country down the river, yet.
    With a big majority Johnson is the least worst choice.
    With a small majority Corbyn is the least worst choice.
    In a hung parliament, hopefully someone else can come to the fore.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited August 2019
    That is a false question because only two options are given. Pollsters need to catch up with what's been happening and include maybe 3 or 4 possible prime ministers
  • Options

FPT

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Yes.

I am sure you know it already but Topping is talking nonsense, of course you can be a patriot who wants changes.
    Of course he is and was widely criticised for his nonsense
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

The USA lacks a monarch and is full of republicans. Whatever anyone thinks of Americans, their patriotism rarely in doubt.

A monarch is not required to be a patriot.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    egg said:

Good to see Priti sorting out the surge of Channel crossings by illegal migrants today. Whose got the tankers and hostages Iran illegally holding top of their to do list, what’s being done about that? We’ve capitulated and freed their tanker.

Okay, on topic, let’s not get sidetracked here: There’s only one action very top of Boris to do list, whats the alternate plan for the backstop. Boris has to turn round that 6 point deficit. He has to make brexit right. He has to make brexit work.

The backstop is there to avoid a hard border across Ireland when UK and EU are operating different customs regimes. The hard border not only breaks treaties signed up to by the UK government, in practice it will become focal for protest, likely end up with British troops manning it to protect it. The previous PMs negotiation came up with this backstop, did not come up with an alternative even in face of mortal destruction of her political career. Boris governments official policy is not “we don’t like the backstop so no backstop” the only honest policy and realistic negotiation is an alternative plan to be agreed with EU replacing proposed backstop, indeed something Boris with customary oomph agreed to have settled in just 30 days last week accepting it was up to Britain to provide a solution, he said he was "more than happy" with the "blistering timetable" Merkel had set out.

So Boris, the EU heads of state and negotiators, the British people, infact the whole world is waiting to hear your plan for alternative backstop, your timetable is ticking down. Where’s your backstop alternative?

Heheh - keep on plugging away (shame Boris is not reading PB though).
  • Options

I for one would actively campaign for Don't Know. If Refused puts together a decent policy offering, I could be swayed in that direction.
    So, Alastair, if the gun was held to your head you'd say 'shoot', yes?

Understandable.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    edited August 2019

FPT

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

delete
  • Options

If the Don't Knows Don't Vote, and so are excluded, that gives Boris exactly the same level of support in the country as he got in the Tory leadership election. 66%.

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    O those that Putin would destroy, he first drives mad!

I wake up to find Brexit has driven a stalwart Tory yeoman like Big G to flirt with republicanism!

Vladimir Vladimirovich must be laughing his manly tits off!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    GIN1138 said:

No tears. I am happy for Brexit to be exposed as an anti-democratic fiasco, totally owned by the Tories.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    FPT
    Burgessian said:

» show previous quotes
    Definitely a huge loss.
    However as she says, the election successes pale into insignificance compared to IndyRef, and this decision puts her in a good position to play a major role in any future IndyRef, with her credibility untarnished by Brexit/Boris.
    Could be quite a smart move.
    And, actually, I'm quite sure she is genuine about the family considerations.

Bollox and already well tarnished, another one defeated by their blind opposition to SNP rather than having aspirations and policies for Scotland. Will have a think tank / cushy public service number lined up for sure. She is not stupid and can see that she has no chance of going anywhere in politics in Scotland and now that UK is a desert for her she is off, only thing she was ever interested in was promoting herself.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

eek said:

GIN1138 said:

Show trials :D
    Which day is Grieve up?
  • Options

Jeez, what a choice.

Yes, I get that. Your enemy then is FPTP. You can't vote for a little bit of this and a little bit of that.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

No tears. I am happy for Brexit to be exposed as an anti-democratic fiasco, totally owned by the Tories.
    Likewise. I am beginning to suspect that we do not even have to reach "No Deal" for the fiasco and blame game to commence. Businesses are already beginning to feel the effects and the posturing of the current Govt are simply stoking peoples' fears as well as firing up the Nationalists and Xenophobes
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    F1: Bottas staying at Mercedes for 2020.
  • Options

That is a false question because only two options are given. Pollsters need to catch up with what's been happening and include maybe 3 or 4 possible prime ministers
    For the next election we should put all the PM candidates and anyone else who fancies having a go in a locked house, give them relevant tasks like 'agree a workable Brexit approach', 'demonstrate commitment to the constitution', 'work out how many children you've had' etc. etc.

Then get the public to vote them off one by one.

Gary Lineker would probably walk it!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335

I suspect that the latest developments may see some movement here, too.
  • Options
    Code for "Look what the fuckwit who's followed me had done!"
  • Options

Jeez, what a choice.

Yes, I get that. Your enemy then is FPTP. You can't vote for a little bit of this and a little bit of that.
    When given rubbish to vote for, the public have got close to hung parliaments despite FPTP. I expect that to continue.

The first of Labour and Tories to offer a mainstream, inclusive manifesto and leadership shall win a landslide, but that is probably two or three GEs away.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Before too many tears are shed about Ruth lets not forget her involvement in the 2017 general election when she and Theresa thought it would be a good idea to tell elderly English voters they were going to take their fuel allowance off them but carry on giving it to elderly Scottish voters.

As I correctly identified on here on the day of the announcement, that was the beginning of the end of Theresa May's majority and Ruth Davidson was heavily involved in the fiasco...

GIN, morning. Correct she was useless, only good at soundbites and patsy interviews. Never had an original thought and an arse licker to London party. Shows how dire the rest of the Tories are that they had her as the Messiah. She will pop up with a well paid cushy number soon enough.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    .......and how she still manages to fiddle while Rome burns
  • Options

TOPPING said:

The USA lacks a monarch and is full of republicans. Whatever anyone thinks of Americans, their patriotism rarely in doubt.

Is the US a great example of a republic?

They are very divided nation with lots of fundamental untackled problems, and a head of state who is a politician widely hated outside his base.
  • Options
    Indeed but it will be ignored by your fellow Brexiteers who prioritise Brexit over the Union.

Sad.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN, morning. Correct she was useless, only good at soundbites and patsy interviews. Never had an original thought and an arse licker to London party. Shows how dire the rest of the Tories are that they had her as the Messiah. She will pop up with a well paid cushy number soon enough.
    Tell it like it is Malcolm. No hiding behind innuendo and hyperbole please

:D:D:D
  • Options

Nothing will. We have a lifetime of this nonsense ahead whether we are in or out
    On balance, I should say that a No Deal Brexit would be the quickest and most dramatic way to bring the nonsense to an end, but at very considerable cost and not at all in the way that many who supported it might imagine.

There is a definite part of me that wants this to happen, but it's childishness and the reality wouldn't be funny.
  • Options

One of Peter Kellner's favorite aphorisms was 'People who Don't Know, don't vote'.
    Most don't. The very engaged ones (admittedly a small minority) creatively spoil their ballot.
  • Options

Indeed but it will be ignored by your fellow Brexiteers who prioritise Brexit over the Union.

Sad.
    Nothing sad about it.

Ruth Davidson has done a lot for the union [and I say that as an opponent of the union] she should be recognised and respected for it. Even though I was on opposite sides to her [and the bulk of my party] during the referendum I could respect her for it.

Just because Brexit is more important than the union doesn't change that.
  • Options
    I think this split will matter a lot more when we have left and are living in the reality of No Deal.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,609

Given the choice was only Corbyn or Johnson, I don't think that applies here.

In the 'which party would you vote for tomorrow' question, would not vote was 10%, and don't know 17%.

Bit less than 36%...
  • Options

Most don't. The very engaged ones (admittedly a small minority) creatively spoil their ballot.
    My artist friend has been giving me drawing lessons so that when the time comes I can draw a reasonably accurate picture of a dick on my ballot paper.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Tell it like it is Malcolm. No hiding behind innuendo and hyperbole please

:D:D:D
    That is the polite version :#
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    GIN1138 said:

If you understood how that post makes you look you wouldn't have posted it.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If no deal is The Will Of The People, no one seems to have told The People:

https://twitter.com/drjennings/status/1167013357620215809
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited August 2019
    I'll always be fond of Ruth Davidson, met her once, very engaging company with the kind of humour you'd expect from me*

She was also responsible for some great wining bets and tips, the 8/1 @AlastairMeeks tipped on election day on the SNP to lose their majority in 2016 was great as was [legendary modesty klaxon] the 20/1 winner I tipped on the Tories winning 9.5 or more seats in Scotland at GE2017.

*Her joke in 2016 about the conservatives massive Johnson pulling out is burned on my memory.
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    Boris and co are deliberately setting up a platform much broader than Brexit though. I wouldn’t say it was clever, as a competent Tory party would have done it in 2017, but it may work. Corbyn is hardly going to outbid him on police numbers and he might do the 2015 trick of waiting for Labour to name a number on NHS spending, then beating it.

The trouble with saying “well he won’t deliver” is that it’s rather hard to sustain that message AND attack him for doing everything he can, by fair means or foul, to deliver Brexit.
  • Options

On balance, I should say that a No Deal Brexit would be the quickest and most dramatic way to bring the nonsense to an end, but at very considerable cost and not at all in the way that many who supported it might imagine.

There is a definite part of me that wants this to happen, but it's childishness and the reality wouldn't be funny.
    There would be more merit in the get no deal over and done with if the LOTO was not Corbyn! Going through no deal and Boris shambles followed by Corbyn disasters is the true worst case double whammy. The Conservative party seem determined to deliver this double whammy for some reason.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Which day is Grieve up?

Lead counsel for the prosecution? Every day I would think...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

@HYUFD will conveniently ignore this as it does not suit his agenda.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited August 2019
    Let's assume those odd breeds, Tory remainers and Labour/LD/SNP/Green leavers are broadly cancelling. This helps us simplify :

Wrong 41, right 47 when rounded to 100% total 47 - 53 rounded.

Taking the last 4 polls from " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election " source currently the leave vote is split 33-14 Tory/Brexit averaging out. Kantar is better for the Tories but lets ignore it as an outlier of what might be possible if Johnson runs a good campaign and hoovers the Nige vote. The split there is 42-5, still summing to 47%.

The remain vote is split 7 Green, 18 LD, 23 Lab, 4 SNP, 1 Plaid.

We know SNP support is solid, so the 5% nationalist vote (Ex NI) won't change so much. Which means we're looking at 47-48 for the potential Tory & Lab pools.

Green support is likely soft, but the remainder is Lib Dem votes that Labour can eat into, and Brexit votes the Tories can munch on. As of now the Tories are 9 pts ahead in this analysis, not votes cast but polling, the best we have, - it might be a smaller pool but the margin above Labour is very very important as there are scores of Lab-Tory marginals in determining seat count.

Unless Labour can really get a squeeze on, they're not in a great place.

• Options
    FPT
    TOPPING said:

That is absolutely absurd and is an argument against any changes at all as all changes disrupt how the country is currently constituted.

That is like suggesting a patriot during the Troubles would have opposed the GFA as the Troubles and an absence of power sharing and military in NI and no Stormont was how the country was currently constituted.

That is prima facie absurd.

What?

Your analogy is so tortured I'm afraid I can't make head nor tail of it.

Let me put it this way. Britain is a constitutional monarchy. Patriots love that (I don't particularly like the word patriot either btw). They love their country. They might choose to fight for it. But they can't then say they want to fundamentally change its constitution while still loving it because then what do they love about it?
    The only thing that is tortured is your argument. Exchange constitutional monarchy with the Troubles or a part of the constitution that caused the Troubles and was changed with the GFA. Could a patriot during the Troubles love the country but still be wanting to see changes?

Let me put it this way. Britain is a constitutional monarchy has direct rule of Northern Ireland from Westminster. Patriots love that (I don't particularly like the word patriot either btw). They love their country. They might choose to fight for it. But they can't then say they want to fundamentally change its constitution while still loving it because then what do they love about it?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

TOPPING said:

They are very divided nation with lots of fundamental untackled problems, and a head of state who is a politician widely hated outside his base.
    gah! The US if full of people who love their country *as currently constituted*. Would you call a good ol' boy a US patriot if he wanted Kim Jong-Un as Supreme Leader?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

There would be more merit in the get no deal over and done with if the LOTO was not Corbyn! Going through no deal and Boris shambles followed by Corbyn disasters is the true worst case double whammy. The Conservative party seem determined to deliver this double whammy for some reason.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Indeed. But does anyone doubt their patriotism? (Which was the point of the comment). I think the USA is a very discriminatory place and I have no desire to see Boris imprting some of their practices or methods here via an FTA which will see an erosion of standards.

Does anyone believe that the world's most expensive healthcare system will work well with the NHS?
  • Options

My artist friend has been giving me drawing lessons so that when the time comes I can draw a reasonably accurate picture of a dick on my ballot paper.
    Top tip - returning officers don’t approve of it if you draw from life, even if it is in the interests of accuracy.
  • Options
    VoterVoter Posts: 1
    Seems that with YouGov now giving Conservatives a 12% lead over Labour and Boris a 20% lead over Corbyn the 6% lead mentioned in the article is a pointless red herring. Anyway that is split between numerous parties - we could be into 100 - 200 seat Conservative majority territory very soon come an election.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    ab195 said:

Top tip - returning officers don’t approve of it if you draw from life, even if it is in the interests of accuracy.
    Who are they to deny the will of the people?
  • Options
    ab195 said:

Well, I wasn't thinking of drawing to scale....
  • Options

No Deal seems to be the least popular positive choice, as well as the most disliked one. Again, this is going to begin to matter a lot politically once we are living through it.

• Options

Which is pretty well the position I've favoured since the Brexit vote, as it seemed pretty obvious back then.
  • Options
    This probably helped Davidson throw in the towel, imagine being seen as a peer of a donkey like this. Labour polling at 9% and he will not "allow" us to have a referendum, deluded.
    The leader of the Scottish Labour Party, Richard Leonard, has reached an agreement with Jeremy Corbyn over the timing of any second Scottish independence referendum under a UK Labour government.

After weeks of internal rows about a second vote, the two leaders have reached a deal that would see no referendum granted in the “formative years” of an incoming Labour government.
    However, Mr Leonard last night said that he and Mr Corbyn had reached an accord on the issue. He said: “Jeremy and I have agreed that, during the formative years of an incoming Labour government, we would not sanction a Section 30 order to allow a further referendum on Scottish independence to take place.”
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    edited August 2019
    It is possible - even probable - that if MPs voted to delay Brexit with no clear purpose in mind, the EU could politely decline to furnish that delay, and we'd still be out on our ear, without a deal, on 31 October.

If MPs want to stop Johnson's no-deal, it is high time they decided what they want instead.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-08-29/if-mps-vote-for-the-6-month-brexit-delay-they-want-johnson-will-ignore-them/
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Indeed. But does anyone doubt their patriotism? (Which was the point of the comment). I think the USA is a very discriminatory place and I have no desire to see Boris imprting some of their practices or methods here via an FTA which will see an erosion of standards.

Does anyone believe that the world's most expensive healthcare system will work well with the NHS?
    It will for the Tories wallets which is all they would care about
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,773

That would be Peter "Remain Is Nailed On To Win" Keller, yes?
  • Options

ab195 said:

Who are they to deny the will of the people?
    You missed an "ie" at the end of will there
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Voter said:

Seems that with YouGov now giving Conservatives a 12% lead over Labour and Boris a 20% lead over Corbyn the 6% lead mentioned in the article is a pointless red herring. Anyway that is split between numerous parties - we could be into 100 - 200 seat Conservative majority territory very soon come an election.

Actually it isn't. The Yougov conforms to the analysis I have provided upthread. And it's bad news for Labour.
  • Options

F1: Bottas staying at Mercedes for 2020.

Hardly a surprise - he's a decent driver who doesn't rock the boat, and only Wolff favoured a change.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,773
    edited August 2019

FPT

TOPPING said:

That is absolutely absurd and is an argument against any changes at all as all changes disrupt how the country is currently constituted.

That is like suggesting a patriot during the Troubles would have opposed the GFA as the Troubles and an absence of power sharing and military in NI and no Stormont was how the country was currently constituted.

What?

Let me put it this way. Britain is a constitutional monarchy. Patriots love that (I don't particularly like the word patriot either btw). They love their country. They might choose to fight for it. But they can't then say they want to fundamentally change its constitution while still loving it because then what do they love about it?
    The only thing that is tortured is your argument. Exchange constitutional monarchy with the Troubles or a part of the constitution that caused the Troubles and was changed with the GFA. Could a patriot during the Troubles love the country but still be wanting to see changes?

Let me put it this way. Britain is a constitutional monarchy has direct rule of Northern Ireland from Westminster. Patriots love that (I don't particularly like the word patriot either btw). They love their country. They might choose to fight for it. But they can't then say they want to fundamentally change its constitution while still loving it because then what do they love about it?
    To misquote the Bible, "What is Britain, that thou are mindful of him?"
  • Options
    Oh Dear, Murdo who has been defeated 7 times trying to get elected , yet supped at the public teat each time by getting a losers list seat. A perfect leader for the Scottish pretend Tory party. Contribution for his almost £1M lottery win , some dire tweets about WATP
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    OT, are there any free software things out there for turning polling data into seat projections? There are so many moving parts that weren't there before it feels like it would be good to have a model that various people could tweak and share.
  • Options
    Revolutionaries cannot be Patriots has comforted many a dictator over the ages
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Do people really think Jezza will support a GE in Nov given current Lab polling?

It’s a view...
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    Unless they've fixed it then T8 at Zandvoort is a bumpy, off-camber nightmare. I spun my 986.2 Boxster there at about 190km/h and the chassis flexed so much in the ensuing shenanigans the windscreen popped out.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

O those that Putin would destroy, he first drives mad!

I wake up to find Brexit has driven a stalwart Tory yeoman like Big G to flirt with republicanism!

Vladimir Vladimirovich must be laughing his manly tits off!

Not flirting, have been a lifelong republican
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

This probably helped Davidson throw in the towel, imagine being seen as a peer of a donkey like this. Labour polling at 9% and he will not "allow" us to have a referendum, deluded.
    The leader of the Scottish Labour Party, Richard Leonard, has reached an agreement with Jeremy Corbyn over the timing of any second Scottish independence referendum under a UK Labour government.

After weeks of internal rows about a second vote, the two leaders have reached a deal that would see no referendum granted in the “formative years” of an incoming Labour government.
    However, Mr Leonard last night said that he and Mr Corbyn had reached an accord on the issue. He said: “Jeremy and I have agreed that, during the formative years of an incoming Labour government, we would not sanction a Section 30 order to allow a further referendum on Scottish independence to take place.”

I have to say although I’d define myself as a Unionist, I think it means something very different to me than it seem to mean to many English people. I see no point in a union without consent and if the Scottish Gvt is elected on a manifesto of having a referendum it should have one. Come the campaign I then think English Unionists should basically say “we love being in a union with you but it’s your choice” and leave it to Scots to decide. Anything else sounds a bit imperialist to me.

Where you and I might differ is that I think the Union could win a referendum on that basis, and would do better sold as a positive without all the silly “you’ll fall into the sea if you leave” nonsense, but it should be tested. One referendum per mandate by winning a majority at Holyrood seems fair to me.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    TGOHF said:

Do people really think Jezza will support a GE in Nov given current Lab polling?

It’s a view...

Didn't bother him in 2017.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Let's play the "Think Like HYUFD" game. I'm going to go with:

No because the total fairly or very bad for no deal is 49% which is still short of a majority and is only slightly more than the 48% who voted for remain in 2016 and if you add all the people who aren't opposed to no deal or may's deal or soft brexit you get 136% which is 34 times the majority that leave got over remain in 2016
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

It’s a view...

Hes called for one non stop for 2 years. He can't credibly refuse to support one. He will of course and knock another 5% off his party
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,113
    Nigelb said:

Which is pretty well the position I've favoured since the Brexit vote, as it seemed pretty obvious back then.
    Me too. When people blame Remainer MPs for not voting for May's deal, they pretend that May's deal is a compromise, rather than what it is -- hard Brexit. If May had put forward a genuine compromise with a Norway style deal we would have left by now with a deal. She couldn't because she put party before country, and that is why we are now all in the shit.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

It’s a view...

A November election would be post-Brexit and Jezza might well be looking a shoo-in by then, so Yes.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,303
    The media have now arrived. It looks like the interdict hearing is proceeding after all. Not got a time yet.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

It will for the Tories wallets which is all they would care about
    How Cynical :open_mouth:

How true :D
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

FPT

TOPPING said:

What?

The NI debate is held within the context of the constitutional monarchy that the United Kingdom is. It is a debate about territory and a legitimate debate at that. It doesn't change the constitutional make up of the United Kingdom.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

That would be Peter "Remain Is Nailed On To Win" Keller, yes?
    People who Remain, Don't Vote perhaps?
This discussion has been closed.