Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A general election could unlock a restoration at Stormont

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited August 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A general election could unlock a restoration at Stormont

Northern Ireland rarely gets much coverage from the mainland British press. Riots generate a fraction of the coverage that a similar one in England or Scotland (never mind London) would get; the recent Harland and Wolff closure was only of interest because of a ship that sank 107 years ago; its sporting competitions are, like its politics, a different world. Here be dragons.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    First!
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    The DUP are dinosaurs. Thats all.
  • Options
    It may be that the one development the GFA really struggles with is the growth of those in NI - mainly from the Unionist side - who now describe themselves as non-aligned. You do not get to 58% support for the backstop solely with Nationalist/Republican backing.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Penddu - Haven't seen you on here in ages.

I'm not sure what the DUP are trying to do or whether it makes any sense. Why on earth did they support Brexit?

SO - That's an interesting development but why do we still see the dominance of DUP/Sinn Fein?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited August 2019
    If NI seems to be leaning to the centre at last it would be a good thing if the 'Ultras' on both sides of the Brexit debate in the UK follow their lead. Meanwhile the one clear thing coming out of the 2 big polls so far YG and Survation is that Jeremy Corbyn is toxicity personified and he's dragging the Labour brand down with him. Like him or loathe him Boris does not repel voters in the same way right now.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

It may be that the one development the GFA really struggles with is the growth of those in NI - mainly from the Unionist side - who now describe themselves as non-aligned. You do not get to 58% support for the backstop solely with Nationalist/Republican backing.

The irony of NI getting less tribal as the rest of the UK gets more so?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    felix said:

If NI seems to be leaning to the centre at last it would be a good thing if the 'Ultras' on both sides of the Brexit debate in the UK follow their lead. Meanwhile the one clear thing coming out of the 2 big polls so far YG and Survation is that Jeremy Corbyn is toxicity personified and he's dragging the Labour brand down with him. Like him or loathe him Boris does not repel voters in the same way right now.

Give him time
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Monday
    I’m in Downing Street, speaking to Gove, the PM and the chancellor. We’re discussing how to get around parliament.

“Demolish it,” I say. “Brick by brick. Overnight. Disrupt their decision-making loop. It’s literally the second last thing they’d expect.”

“Second last?” queries Michael, and I remind him of my earlier plan, to encase the entirety of Parliament Square inside a giant dome of pink jelly. Which is definitely what Sun Tzu would have done.

“You’re the genius, Dom,” says the PM, nervously, “but this all sounds a bit dodgy.”

I roll my eyes. Then I tell him that he’s trapped in a swamp of bogus expertise, and Gove and I are the only people around him who aren’t idiots.

“But I’m here, too,” says Sajid Javid, plaintively.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/86958e00-cb5d-11e9-aa23-8f74f0aafdde

• Options

I'm not sure what the DUP are trying to do or whether it makes any sense. Why on earth did they support Brexit?

SO - That's an interesting development but why do we still see the dominance of DUP/Sinn Fein?

I am not an expert on this, but it seems to me that the GFA was written to reflect NI as it was and does not have mechanisms that ever anticipated NI might change. That forces choices that otherwise might not be made. For me, the success of the Alliance party in the Euro elections, as well as majority support for the backstop, shows that the GFA is in need of reform. But sadly Brexit makes it much harder to do because people on all sides would be very suspicious of the motives.

• Options
    nichomar said:

felix said:

Give him time
    If Brexit doesn't do it nothing will.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Marching band in Glasgow, probably not joyous or civic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-49526876

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Monday
    I’m in Downing Street, speaking to Gove, the PM and the chancellor. We’re discussing how to get around parliament.

“Demolish it,” I say. “Brick by brick. Overnight. Disrupt their decision-making loop. It’s literally the second last thing they’d expect.”

“Second last?” queries Michael, and I remind him of my earlier plan, to encase the entirety of Parliament Square inside a giant dome of pink jelly. Which is definitely what Sun Tzu would have done.

“You’re the genius, Dom,” says the PM, nervously, “but this all sounds a bit dodgy.”

I roll my eyes. Then I tell him that he’s trapped in a swamp of bogus expertise, and Gove and I are the only people around him who aren’t idiots.

“But I’m here, too,” says Sajid Javid, plaintively.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/86958e00-cb5d-11e9-aa23-8f74f0aafdde

Rofl - another luvvy tale which sounds particularly lame in the light of the Survation polling.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    The small but electorally decisive group of non aligned voters seem to go heavily for the Irish identity and see the Irish government as representing their interests on Brexit better than the UK one.

I wouldn't rule out the DUP featuring in the UK government post an election.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    We may wonder whether a more back-boned, or less personally ambitious, Minister than the CoE would take sidelining in matters relating to his personal staff quite as easily as Javid.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,477
    edited August 2019

That sounds like a dissident minority rather smaller than the third or so of SNP supporters who voted to leave the EU - Despite Sturgeon's "Voice of Scotland" gibberish.

Is that really significant?
  • Options

We may wonder whether a more back-boned, or less personally ambitious, Minister than the CoE would take sidelining in matters relating to his personal staff quite as easily as Javid.

There is a comment under that Times column

I like Cummings.
    He has cojones.....

Yes, in a box, on his desk. They used to belong to TheSaj...
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The small but electorally decisive group of non aligned voters seem to go heavily for the Irish identity and see the Irish government as representing their interests on Brexit better than the UK one.

I think that is right but I'm unsure a referendum would give a vote for unification. The Irish system for healthcare is less comprehensive than the NHS and I suspect the existing divergence between south and north could well throw up a number of other non-sectarian issues to complicate matters further. A pity as it would be good news for the RoUK.
  • Options
    felix said:

nichomar said:

felix said:

Give him time

People used to say that about Theresa May! Johnson is more popular than Corbyn and always will be (just as May was always more popular than him too). But Johnson is also taking the UK to a No Deal Brexit that all the polls, including Survation, tell us that most people do not want - and he’s closing down Parliament to help him do it and to avoid any scrutiny of his planning and motives. If No Deal is not the No Problem Johnson has told us it will be - if it turns out not to be “easily manageable” - then he is going to be in trouble. That’s why he needs an election by November at the very latest.

• Options
    edited August 2019

I am not an expert on this, but it seems to me that the GFA was written to reflect NI as it was and does not have mechanisms that ever anticipated NI might change. That forces choices that otherwise might not be made. For me, the success of the Alliance party in the Euro elections, as well as majority support for the backstop, shows that the GFA is in need of reform. But sadly Brexit makes it much harder to do because people on all sides would be very suspicious of the motives.

The GFA builds in dysfunction because that was (reasonably) seen as better than conflict. It sort of worked for a while because Sinn Fein and the DUP had an unwritten deal to split the spoils of government between them. Each would get a bunch of ministries and budgets to do what they like with.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    felix said:

`Yes he does. Just marginally less of them.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190

Spineless.

I do enjoy watching some of the usual suspects getting excited over the polls, though. Most seem to have forgotten the enormous leads Mrs May had in the early days of her premiership and what then happened at the GE.

Meanwhile, there is another Windrush on steroids brewing in the absence of primary legislation to guarantee the rights of EU citizens who have lived here years, in some cases decades. It should be a simple matter to resolve if only the politician who made that promise hadn’t shut down Parliament.

Still it’s only foreign people being affected. Who cares about them? That’s our New Model Britain, isn’t it?
  • Options
    MattW said:

That sounds like a dissident minority rather smaller than the third or so of SNP supporters who voted to leave the EU - Despite Sturgeon's "Voice of Scotland" gibberish.

Historically, yes - it is very significant. The Alliance Party used to describe itself as Unionist. It no longer does.

• Options
    FF43 said:

The GFA builds in dysfunction because that was (reasonably) seen as better than conflict. It sort of worked for a while because Sinn Fein and the DUP had an unwritten deal to split the spoils of government between them. Each would get a bunch of ministries and budgets to do what they like with.
    Yes - and its survival unchanged has become a totem on all sides [ including both the EU and the USA]. In truth the system it perpetuates is pretty awful as it seems to compel voters to the extremes.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

felix said:

nichomar said:

felix said:

Give him time

People used to say that about Theresa May! Johnson is more popular than Corbyn and always will be (just as May was always more popular than him too). But Johnson is also taking the UK to a No Deal Brexit that all the polls, including Survation, tell us that most people do not want - and he’s closing down Parliament to help him do it and to avoid any scrutiny of his planning and motives. If No Deal is not the No Problem Johnson has told us it will be - if it turns out not to be “easily manageable” - then he is going to be in trouble. That’s why he needs an election by November at the very latest.

If by some miracle he gets a deal - then I suspect he could win a landslide in a quick GE. Long-term..? Didn't someone say the long-term is 'another country' or something.
  • Options
    felix said:

FF43 said:

I think that is right but I'm unsure a referendum would give a vote for unification. The Irish system for healthcare is less comprehensive than the NHS and I suspect the existing divergence between south and north could well throw up a number of other non-sectarian issues to complicate matters further. A pity as it would be good news for the RoUK.
    Pre Brexit, there was essentially no demand for a border poll. Even many Sinn Fein voters didn't want one. Polls now suggest a much closer result although the UK would still win. A big change in just three years. I don't think the economy is the driver any more. The Republic is much wealthier than the North and there is a perception that the Union isn't doing much for Northern Ireland beyond the subsidies. I think the reason for holding back is the thought of a unionist backlash making the place unlivable. Northern Ireland is very fragile, which is why Johnson and his acolytes are so irresponsible.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

This interview with the actor James Nesbit gives a great insight into the non-aligned mindset. I am not sure your characterisation is entirely accurate. My sense is that they are generally younger, more middle class and largely Protestant in background:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/james-nesbitt-interview-irish-northern-irish-protestant-and-proud-1.3947853
  • Options
    The Survation poll is another useful reminder to the various groupings united against 'no deal' to avoid any move which lets Corbyn into number 10. I'm more than a little surprised to see Clarke flirting with the notion this week.
  • Options
    Isn't there an iron law of politics that a new Prime minister always has a honeymoon period?

Unless its Boris?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    edited August 2019

I don't blame them. I have more sympathy with Calvinistic Presbyterianism than most PBers. Even so, I can see that anyone in Northern Ireland wanting a more socially liberal, tolerant place to live looks enviously south of the border. Ireland 50 years ago was an inward looking social backwater. Those days have gone.

The Irish tricolour has the white of peace between the orange and the green. It will get there in the end, and the modernisation of Ireland over recent decades will be its foundation.

One of the few positives of the rampant English nationalism of present times is the ending of our colonialism in Ireland and Scotland. Wales may have to wait a bit longer.
  • Options
    Roger said:

felix said:

Siurvation last night:

Mr Johnson is clear winner as 'best PM' on 45 per cent, Miss Swinson is second on 19 and Mr Corbyn third on 17.

Some margin!
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    Scott_P said:

I like Cummings.
    He has cojones.....

I’m sure the inquiry into Islamophobia in the Tory party is due to start any day now.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

FF43 said:

This interview with the actor James Nesbit gives a great insight into the non-aligned mindset. I am not sure your characterisation is entirely accurate. My sense is that they are generally younger, more middle class and largely Protestant in background:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/james-nesbitt-interview-irish-northern-irish-protestant-and-proud-1.3947853
    More Protestant than Catholic, but both. I have a good friend from a Catholic background who largely shares James Nesbitt's views. I think he would see himself more straightforwardly as Irish and not worry so much about structures, but that's probably a detail for him. One thing in common with all these younger non sectarian voters is a commitment to Northern Ireland as a place and a belief that something needs to be sorted out.

On the identity question. Polls show most Alliance and Green voters go for an Irish rather than British identity when asked, even though most are Protestants in origin. But it's possibly more complicated than a poll question
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Meanwhile, there is another Windrush on steroids brewing in the absence of primary legislation to guarantee the rights of EU citizens who have lived here years, in some cases decades. It should be a simple matter to resolve if only the politician who made that promise hadn’t shut down Parliament.

Still it’s only foreign people being affected. Who cares about them? That’s our New Model Britain, isn’t it?

https://twitter.com/youngvulgarian/status/1167544618809999360
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Spineless.

I do enjoy watching some of the usual suspects getting excited over the polls, though. Most seem to have forgotten the enormous leads Mrs May had in the early days of her premiership and what then happened at the GE.

Indeed, there are some very 'strange' cases coming to our attention.The latest in the public domain is that of a woman in Bristol who came here from Italy at age two, went to school here, married, had a family and worked for over 20 years. By what definition is she not a 'settled person'?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    'Riots generate a fraction of the coverage that a similar one in England or Scotland (never mind London) would get;'

Not sure about that, a riot that ended in a journalist being shot and murderered
    dr_spyn said:

It seemed to be the objectors to the band that are strangers to civic joyousness.

'Ch Supt Mark Hargreaves said: "Police Scotland has a duty to facilitate processions and any peaceful protest, but this kind of behaviour by persons demonstrating against the parade is utterly unacceptable.

"It is extremely disappointing to see people acting in this fashion, causing fear and alarm to members of the public as well as putting many people at risk."'
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Isn't there an iron law of politics that a new Prime minister always has a honeymoon period?

Unless its Boris?

Come on , these are not normal times in politics.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    Scott_P said:
    Listening to it now - they're getting on to the about-turn on the proroguing: cringe!!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

More Protestant than Catholic, but both. I have a good friend from a Catholic background who largely shares James Nesbitt's views. I think he would see himself more straightforwardly as Irish and not worry so much about structures, but that's probably a detail for him. One thing in common with all these younger non sectarian voters is a commitment to Northern Ireland as a place and a belief that something needs to be sorted out.

On the identity question. Polls show most Alliance and Green voters go for an Irish rather than British identity when asked, even though most are Protestants in origin. But it's possibly more complicated than a poll question

That is very interesting - cheers. I was in NI in April with a very good friend and former business partner who is now London based. His Dad was in the RUC and he is a very firm, though very liberal, Unionist. We met up with one of his old mates in Belfast and discovered he’d joined the SDLP!!

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Roger said:

felix said:

Indeed, behind the raw figures there is potential for Bozo to lose a lot of approval very quickly. There is not much respect there, he is mostly seen as a useful idiot, even by supporters.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/07/23/everything-we-know-about-what-public-think-boris-j

The undecided voters are another interesting group. Women are consistently far more likely to say undecided in polls, even when certain to vote. I see this as an expresssion of sociability rather than the macho confrontationalism of male responders. We do know that Bozo polls particularly poorly with women, and that matches my anecdata from a mostly female workplace. I suspect that the undecideds will break disproporionally to the opposition.
  • Options
    Fair play to Sajid Javid for not cancelling that interview... but what a car crash. Poor bloke.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

'Riots generate a fraction of the coverage that a similar one in England or Scotland (never mind London) would get;'

Not sure about that, a riot that ended in a journalist being shot and murderered

dr_spyn said:

It seemed to be the objectors to the band that are strangers to civic joyousness.

'Ch Supt Mark Hargreaves said: "Police Scotland has a duty to facilitate processions and any peaceful protest, but this kind of behaviour by persons demonstrating against the parade is utterly unacceptable.

"It is extremely disappointing to see people acting in this fashion, causing fear and alarm to members of the public as well as putting many people at risk."'
    I suppose Police Scotland will be hoping that Sunday in Govan is going to be quiet before, during and after The Old Firm Game. It appears some Glasgow City Councillors didn't take the advice of the police to ban the march.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17848464.calls-republican-flute-band-banned-glasgow/
  • Options
    Cyclefree: "I do enjoy watching some of the usual suspects getting excited over the polls, though. Most seem to have forgotten the enormous leads Mrs May had in the early days of her premiership and what then happened at the GE."

Ahem - 3 of the last 4 thread headers have been about polling which questioned the popularity of the government. Are these the 'usual suspects' you mean?

Lo and behold Survation suggests something different and we want to ignore them all of a sudden.

• Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Nesbitt makes the point that when he came to RADA, in England, he found he was described as Irish. Similar to Jeremy John Ashdown, who came to school in England with an Irish accent and was for ever afterwards known as Paddy.
    It's often a surprise to NI Protestants that when they come to the mainland they're regarded as Irish.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Lol - ' a hundred people with a wide range of views' Yeah right.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,272
    edited August 2019
    Survation last night is the first poll to indicate the public are not reacting as most assume they are on this forum, but does confirm individual anecdotes that the public do support Boris in larger numbers than some on here thought or even hoped for

My son in law, who is not the least political, in discussion over the latest developments and moves to stop no deal and seek a futher extension just asked the simple question.

'Why. It will only prolong the issues and it needs sorting now' and indicating he supports just getting out on the 31st October

And as for Corbyn you have to ask the question just how much longer this incompetent marxist throwback can carry on leading labour into oblivion.

And as for labour's brexit policy, Starmer said yesterday that they would negotiate a new deal and then put it to the people but would firmly campaign against it to remain in the EU

Utter and complete madness
  • Options

Fair play to Sajid Javid for not cancelling that interview... but what a car crash. Poor bloke.

Presumably Cummings told him he had to do it.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

felix said:

Indeed, behind the raw figures there is potential for Bozo to lose a lot of approval very quickly. There is not much respect there, he is mostly seen as a useful idiot, even by supporters.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/07/23/everything-we-know-about-what-public-think-boris-j

The undecided voters are another interesting group. Women are consistently far more likely to say undecided in polls, even when certain to vote. I see this as an expresssion of sociability rather than the macho confrontationalism of male responders. We do know that Bozo polls particularly poorly with women, and that matches my anecdata from a mostly female workplace. I suspect that the undecideds will break disproporionally to the opposition.
    Survation last night:

Mr Johnson is clear winner as 'best PM' on 45 per cent, Miss Swinson is second on 19 and Mr Corbyn third on 17.

But of course keep the focus on YouGov and ignore the most recent poll.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

The problem for a government acting in an indefensible way is that its actions are very difficult to defend.

Spin and guff about 'the people's priorities' is not going to be enough to get you through.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited August 2019
    Probably the best hope for a resolution at Stormont would be for the non sectarian, cross community Alliance Party to come a clear third and build a bridge between the Unionist and Nationalist communities.

While Stormont remains suspended the next general election is likely to be the next poll on Northern Ireland and with only 1 DUP seat having a majority under 5% and only a further 2 DUP seats having majorities under 10% there are unlikely to be major changes.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

I suppose Police Scotland will be hoping that Sunday in Govan is going to be quiet before, during and after The Old Firm Game. It appears some Glasgow City Councillors didn't take the advice of the police to ban the march.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17848464.calls-republican-flute-band-banned-glasgow/

Yep, it was dumb to permit the march before an Old Firm weekend, I think there's a certain amount of running scared from squeals of outrage from both lobbies. Hopefully this will result in a more stringent attitude to all marches, and the number of them. That the West of Scotland has more marches every year than NI is pretty fcuked up.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,304

FF43 said:

That isn't non aligned. He favours a united Ireland and tried to stop God Save the Queen being played at a football match.

Non aligned would favour a special status for NI with respect to both Eire and the UK that allowed its citizens to be part of both, not far off what we currently have actually.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Felix, it might be more balanced than you think.

In 2005 I remember a Channel 4 debate about the Danish cartoons. The audience voted about 2:1 to have them shown.

And then Channel 4 decided not to show them anyway, having asked the audience (who, annoyingly, gave the 'wrong' answer).
  • Options

Survation last night is the first poll to indicate the public are not reacting as most assume they are on this forum, but does confirm individual anecdotes that the public do support Boris in larger numbers than some on here thought or even hoped for

My son in law, who is not the least political, in discussion over the latest developments and moves to stop no deal and seek a futher extension just asked the simple question.

'Why. It will only prolong the issues and it needs sorting now' and indicating he supports just getting out on the 31st October

And as for Corbyn you have to ask the question just how much longer this incompetent marxist throwback can carry on leading labour into oblivion.

And as for labour's brexit policy, Starmer said yesterday that they would negotiate a new deal and then put it to the people but would firmly campaign against it to remain in the EU

Does your son in law accept the No Deal that is implied by leaving on October 31 and does he think that's the end of Brexit as an issue?

Not trying to pick on him. Interested in his views.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,304
    Foxy said:

I don't blame them. I have more sympathy with Calvinistic Presbyterianism than most PBers. Even so, I can see that anyone in Northern Ireland wanting a more socially liberal, tolerant place to live looks enviously south of the border. Ireland 50 years ago was an inward looking social backwater. Those days have gone.

The Irish tricolour has the white of peace between the orange and the green. It will get there in the end, and the modernisation of Ireland over recent decades will be its foundation.

One of the few positives of the rampant English nationalism of present times is the ending of our colonialism in Ireland and Scotland. Wales may have to wait a bit longer.
    There is no colonialism. Northern Irish and Scottish Britons have exactly the same rights and privileges as the English do in a single union.

The issue arises due to disproportionately in population size. Because England is 80%+ of the population of the UK it tends to dominate (albeit it didn't do so under Gordon Brown's administration) but that absolutely isn't colonialism, and there is much devolution to compensate as well.
  • Options

No Deal was opposed by a large majority in the Survation poll. It is also the one that shows the Tories least likely to win a majority. What Johnson needs is YouGov’s voting intentions and Survation’s secondaries, with more support for No Deal developing.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    The Saj completely eviscerated by Mishal Hussein.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

The attitude ‘just get on with it’ regardless of what ‘it’ is borders on stupidity but unfortunately seems to be growing. They want it over because they are bored with it, well they are going to be mightily disappointed when the day after and for years to come, deal or no deal the headlines will still be dominated by that which they just want them to get on with. Try telling people that and they look at you as if you're demented.
  • Options

FF43 said:

That isn't non aligned. He favours a united Ireland and tried to stop God Save the Queen being played at a football match.

Non aligned would favour a special status for NI with respect to both Eire and the UK that allowed its citizens to be part of both, not far off what we currently have actually.

I think it’s a lot more nuanced than that. I read it as him believing reunification was a secondary issue. There are far more important things to deal with. But if someone like Nesbitt is counted as a Nationalist, Ireland will be reuniting pretty soon.

• Options
    nichomar said:

The attitude ‘just get on with it’ regardless of what ‘it’ is borders on stupidity but unfortunately seems to be growing. They want it over because they are bored with it, well they are going to be mightily disappointed when the day after and for years to come, deal or no deal the headlines will still be dominated by that which they just want them to get on with. Try telling people that and they look at you as if you're demented.

If BoZo was really as clever as he thinks he is, he would revoke Article 50 and hold a big parade on Nov 1st claiming he had concluded Brexit

The idiots would cheer and life would move on
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Streeter said:

Scott_P said:

I like Cummings.
    He has cojones.....

I’m sure the inquiry into Islamophobia in the Tory party is due to start any day now.
    Are you trying to make a snarky point? About TheSaj? This Saj?

" 'My own family's heritage is Muslim. Myself and my four brothers were brought up to believe in God, but I do not practise any religion. My wife is a practising Christian and the only religion practised in my house is Christianity."
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Are you sure you aren't being driven mad by Brexit? You want to divide this island up into different states? As for rampant English nationalism - really?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190

Cyclefree said:

Spineless.

Indeed, there are some very 'strange' cases coming to our attention.The latest in the public domain is that of a woman in Bristol who came here from Italy at age two, went to school here, married, had a family and worked for over 20 years. By what definition is she not a 'settled person'?
    My late mother came to this country when she married in the late 1950’s. She never took British citizenship, being an Italian to her fingertips, and there was no need, of course. She was a housewife, wife and mother. Her entitlement and income came from my father.

After her death, we found very few documents relating to her stay - beyond passports etc. There simply was no need. We had no records of my father’s earnings or NI contributions as he had died over 20 years earlier.

Had she been alive now, how would she have proved her entitlement to stay? How, despite having been registered at the same GP practice for over 50 years, would she have proved her entitlement to health care?

Not an issue for us as she died before the referendum.

But imagine the worry that such questions would provoke for people in a similar position. What an appalling way to treat people. It is shameful.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Probably the best hope for a resolution at Stormont would be for the non sectarian, cross community Alliance Party to come a clear third and build a bridge between the Unionist and Nationalist communities.

While Stormont remains suspended the next general election is likely to be the next poll on Northern Ireland and with only 1 DUP seat having a majority under 5% and only a further 2 DUP seats having majorities under 10% there are unlikely to be major changes.

Sorry, 3 seats in Northern Ireland with DUP majorities under 5%, Belfast North where Sinn Fein are second, Antrim South where the UUP are second and Belfast South where the SDLP are second and the Alliance a close third.

If all 3 went Sinn Fein would overtake the DUP as largest party and if Belfast South went SDLP there would be 8 Unionist seats (7 DUP and 1 UUP) and 9 Nationalist seats (8 SF and 1 SDLP).

If only Belfast North went the DUP would still be ahead on 9 seats to 8 for Sinn Fein.

If Belfast South went Alliance too then it would be 8 DUP seats, 8 Sinn Fein seats and 1 Alliance seat
  • Options

Foxy said:

There is no colonialism. Northern Irish and Scottish Britons have exactly the same rights and privileges as the English do in a single union.

The issue arises due to disproportionately in population size. Because England is 80%+ of the population of the UK it tends to dominate (albeit it didn't do so under Gordon Brown's administration) but that absolutely isn't colonialism, and there is much devolution to compensate as well.

At an historical level, it is surely difficult to argue against the claim that both Wales and Ireland were colonised by the English (and Scots in the case of Ireland). I am not sure you can say the same about Scotland, though.

• Options
    edited August 2019

No Deal was opposed by a large majority in the Survation poll. It is also the one that shows the Tories least likely to win a majority. What Johnson needs is YouGov’s voting intentions and Survation’s secondaries, with more support for No Deal developing.

52% back the Deal minus the NI backstop though with Survation, a majority and significantly more than the 40% who back Revoke and Remain in the same poll.

Deal minus the backstop remains the first choice for Boris if the EU agree a technical alternative
  • Options
    felix said:

Foxy said:

Roger said:

felix said:

Survation last night:

I am not someone obsessed by polls, but I did find the yougov on Bozo quite informative.

I do like that Swinson is in second place for PM. I would expect that 19% to increase significantly during a campaign. I do not fear an election.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    felix said:

Cyclefree: "I do enjoy watching some of the usual suspects getting excited over the polls, though. Most seem to have forgotten the enormous leads Mrs May had in the early days of her premiership and what then happened at the GE."

Ahem - 3 of the last 4 thread headers have been about polling which questioned the popularity of the government. Are these the 'usual suspects' you mean?

Lo and behold Survation suggests something different and we want to ignore them all of a sudden.

Remember the exit poll at 10pm GE 2017

Your face must have been a picture.
  • Options

Streeter said:

Scott_P said:

I like Cummings.
    He has cojones.....

" 'My own family's heritage is Muslim. Myself and my four brothers were brought up to believe in God, but I do not practise any religion. My wife is a practising Christian and the only religion practised in my house is Christianity."
    I took it to mean that the Saj may have his revenge on Cummings as a dish served cold.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Foxy said:

Indeed Scotland now has its own Parliament, Wales and Northern Ireland have their own Assemblies (albeit Stormont suspended) and they have Westminster MPs too.

It is far more a federal system now than a colonial system in the UK.

Indeed if we gave Scotland devomax (similar to that Quebec now has in Canada) and created an English Assembly or Parliament too we would probably get a workable Federal system at last
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Streeter said:

Scott_P said:

I like Cummings.
    He has cojones.....

I took it to mean that the Saj may have his revenge on Cummings as a dish served cold.
    If it's deleted from Twitter it was never said. We are at war with Oceania; we have always been at war with Oceania.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    On topic: great article.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited August 2019

MattW said:

Historically, yes - it is very significant. The Alliance Party used to describe itself as Unionist. It no longer does.

SLab are migrating in the same direction: away from explicit British nationalism and towards something resembling neutrality on the sovereignty question. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that the SLDs (a sister part of NI Alliance) could make the same journey. But not under bampot Rennie.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    HYUFD said:

52% back the Deal minus the NI backstop though with Survation, a majority and significantly more than the 40% who back Revoke and Remain in the same poll.

Deal minus the backstop remains the first choice for Boris if the EU agree a technical alternative
    52% back a unicorn.

Meaningless statistic.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

The Saj completely eviscerated by Mishal Hussein.

The 'taken out of context' klaxon was deafening.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

felix said:

Foxy said:

Roger said:

felix said:

Survation last night:

I am not someone obsessed by polls, but I did find the yougov on Bozo quite informative.

I do like that Swinson is in second place for PM. I would expect that 19% to increase significantly during a campaign. I do not fear an election.
    Yes, in a GE campaign it will become increasingly obvious that she and her party are the only sane option for English voters.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Foxy said:

felix said:

Foxy said:

Roger said:

felix said:

Survation last night:

I too do not fear a GE.

Bring it on.

• Options

Foxy said:

The history of Wales, Ireland and Scotland is one of English conquest, that much is surely undeniable.

Certainly there are equal rights now, but the legacy of those conquests live on. I am not a Nationalist, and find Nationalist politics intrinsically divisive, but I do understand their appeal. Perhaps it is because I have ancestry from all 4 home nations that I am less well disposed to English Nationalism than most.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

MattW said:

SLab are migrating in the same direction: away from explicit British nationalism and towards something resembling neutrality on the sovereignty question.
    I'm sure those seven or eight people will make all the difference.

(In honour of @malcolmg)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

52% back a unicorn.

Meaningless statistic.
    It isn't, both Macron and Merkel have not ruled out a technical solution based on what Boris proposes
  • Options
    edited August 2019

MattW said:

SLab are migrating in the same direction: away from explicit British nationalism and towards something resembling neutrality on the sovereignty question. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that the SLDs (a sister part of NI Alliance) could make the same journey. But not under bampot Rennie.
    Richard Leonard is not and is still firmly Unionist as is Jo Swinson, see the hatred between the LDs and SNP in the Shetland by election last week

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17821487.labour-indyref2-row-erupts-leonard-slaps-mcdonnell/

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17869398.snp-attack-jeremy-corbyn-indyref2-deal-richard-leonard/
  • Options
    Javid's credibility has now been dumped into the same waste receptacle as that of Amber Rudd.

These people are pathetic.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The history of Wales, Ireland and Scotland is one of English conquest, that much is surely undeniable.

Certainly there are equal rights now, but the legacy of those conquests live on. I am not a Nationalist, and find Nationalist politics intrinsically divisive, but I do understand their appeal. Perhaps it is because I have ancestry from all 4 home nations that I am less well disposed to English Nationalism than most.
    I thought Scotland were rather emphatic that they weren't conquered, they were first tricked and then bribed into union.

Arguably they're wrong in practice - Dunbar and Culloden spring to mind as counter-arguments - but that is technically a correct reading of 1603 and 1707.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Javid's credibility has now been dumped into the same waste receptacle as that of Amber Rudd.

And unbelievably, Labour remain less credible and more whiny and pathetic.

How have we come to this?!!!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

52% back a unicorn.

Meaningless statistic.
    It isn't, both Macron and Merkel have not ruled out a technical solution based on what Boris proposes
    What Bozo proposes? He hasn't proposed anything. How many of his 30 days has he now squandered?

It is all just his usual bluster, and the grown ups are just humouring him.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,272
    edited August 2019
    FF43 said:

Does your son in law accept the No Deal that is implied by leaving on October 31 and does he think that's the end of Brexit as an issue?

I honestly do not think he thinks like that. He, in common when milllions is weary of the constant conflict and just wants the matter bringing to a head and to move on.

In our conversation I told him I support the moves to stop no deal and get an extension and he just does not want it extended, come what may

As I commented I do believe this forum is out of step with the public at present
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Bonnie Prince Charlie invaded England as far as Derby, William Wallace also invaded England as did James Vth of Scotland
  • Options

As I commented I do believe this forum is out of step with the public at present

It's dominated by Europhile Conservatives and Labour centrists. One of its few Liberal Democrat posters is a Leaver.

That on its own says it all.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

We have a superb policy. Negotiate a new deal. Then campaign against it.

But at least it would be the voters' choice.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    This is a load of claptrap.

Raab was suggesting that proroguation cover the whole of September and October until the start of November so Parliament literally couldn't sit or vote at all prior to Brexit until it was too late.

Boris has scheduled a normal Queen's Speech prorogation, straddling an annual recess as there is precedence for, over a period of 4 sitting days and Parliament is literally sitting both before and after that prior to Brexit.

That's literally two very different things.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    ydoethur said:

It's dominated by Europhile Conservatives and Labour centrists. One of its few Liberal Democrat posters is a Leaver.

That on its own says it all.
    I remember after the 2015 general election OGH did a survey and while PB had about the same number of Tory and Labour supporters as the national average it had significantly more LD supporters and significantly fewer UKIP supporters than was the case nationally in 2015 (Richard Tyndall one of the few exceptions).

Hence PB was more supportive of the Coalition than the national average but is more opposed to No Deal over further extension than the national average too
  • Options
    edited August 2019

ydoethur said:

We have a superb policy. Negotiate a new deal. Then campaign against it.

But at least it would be the voters' choice.
    Stephen Pile must be regretting that he chose Lord Pearson of Rannoch as The Worst Politician in the last edition of The Book of Heroic Failures.

Look at the choice he could have had if he'd waited.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Bonnie Prince Charlie invaded England as far as Derby, William Wallace also invaded England as did James Vth of Scotland
    They all had in common that they lost.

(And you forgot Owain Glyn Dŵr in 1405.)
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

FF43 said:

I think it’s a lot more nuanced than that. I read it as him believing reunification was a secondary issue. There are far more important things to deal with. But if someone like Nesbitt is counted as a Nationalist, Ireland will be reuniting pretty soon.

Unlikely,

https://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2018/Political_Attitudes/UNTDIREL.html

Im more fascinated though by why you cant cope with duality of background. You get worked up that you will lose your european identity but somehow others have to be forced in to a binary choice.

Most of the stuff I see posted on here bears little resemblence to whats happening in NI on the griond, its simply the lazy parroting of 1960s slogans. NI has moved on, in most cases social attitudes are in line with mainland UK or RoI. Only the politicians are stuck in the past.

Attitudes have been tracked for the best part of this century in the NI Life and Times survey. Its probably the best source of how views have changed.

https://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2018/
  • Options

FF43 said:

I honestly do not think he thinks like that. He, in common when milllions is weary of the constant conflict and just wants the matter bringing to a head and to move on.

In our conversation I told him I support the moves to stop no deal and get an extension and he just does not want it extended, come whay may

This forum is more informed than the public at large obviously, but what makes sense to less informed people matters. (I know this is patronising. I am sorry.)

It matters not least because if Johnson wants to win an election using votes from people like your son in law, he would be advised to hold it before October 31 when reality kicks in. For the same reason it is in the interests of the opposition to hold it afterwards. But that means a No Deal Brexit, which they want to stop. So it's a dilemma for them.
This discussion has been closed.