Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Summary : August 2019

SystemSystem Posts: 11,014
edited September 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Summary : August 2019

Votes Cast, % Share, Change in votes and Seats : August 2019 Liberal Democrats 6,218 votes (33.94% +5.23% on last time) winning 5 seats (+1 seat on last time) Conservatives 5,362 votes (29.27% -2.66% on last time) winning 2 seats (-1 on last time) Labour 2,951 votes (16.11% -10.04% on last time) winning 0 seats (-1 on last time) Scottish National Party 1,582 votes (8.63% +2.88% on last time) winning 1 seat (unchanged on last time) Local Independents 824 votes (4.50%) winning 1 seat (+1 on last time) Green Party 779 votes (4.25% -0.05% on last time) winning 0 seats (unchanged on last time) Independent candidates 333 votes (1.82%) winning 0 seats (unchanged on last time) Brexit Party 163 votes (0.89%) winning 0 seats United Kingdom Independence Party 68 votes (0.53% -1.88% on last time) winning 0 seats (unchanged on last time) Other Parties 12 votes (0.07% -0.78% on last time) winning 0 seats (unchanged on last time) Liberal Democrat lead of 856 votes (4.67%) on a swing of 3.95% from Con to Lib Dem

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First like the LibDems
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    First?
  • Options
    Thanks for this, Mr. Hayfield.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    That's intriguing. I make an awesome pun on Extinction Rebellion and TSE hurriedly puts up a new thread.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Governments win elections, they also have the power to lose them.

Governments can spend their way to victory or mitigating defeat. They can cut taxes, increase spending or just advertise themselves to victory.

In the 2010 General election and the period leading up to it there was a government advertising blitz that was within the rules but ethically speaking questionable. Should Government advertising be used in the run up to a General Election in a way to try and boost the incumbent’s possibility of electoral victory?

The same dilemma approaches now as the Government, which has not been directed elected by the people embarks on an advertising blitz, which has the potential to coincide with the calling of a General Election. I think an unelected Government is plain wrong to promote No Deal at public expense when the real reason for doing so is a blatant attempt to boost the Governments polling.

The media output of the Brexit supporting press has been producing stories on a daily basis to boost Boris Johnson and hence support the Tories. Indeed, the propaganda has gone into overdrive.

I have come to the conclusion given the misuse of public funds by the Conservative party for blatant propaganda on No Deal that the only way to deal with the PM is to remove him from office rather than trying to change legislation.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    ydoethur said:

That's intriguing. I make an awesome pun on Extinction Rebellion and TSE hurriedly puts up a new thread.

At first I thought you had an extreme autocorrect malfunction
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

This is no time for puns, if they delay me getting to the Old Trafford test I'm going postal.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

ydoethur said:

At first I thought you had an extreme autocorrect malfunction
    Well, I have been having problems. For some reason it has changed 'were' to 'we're' every time I've typed it.

But the punning was just awesomeness.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

This is no time for puns, if they delay me getting to the Old Trafford test I'm going postal.
    Mr Eagles, there's always time for a good pun.

As for delays on the way to Old Trafford, perhaps you could suggest they find a way to stop Cummins, Smith and Labushagne from getting to the ground so Australia have to play Marsh, Bancroft and Wade?
  • Options
    Daily Mail has an interesting Electoral machine article, which probably does not tell us anything we did not already know:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7413661/Tory-Labour-parties-recruitment-drive-campaign-staff-marginal-areas.html
  • Options
    Trebles all round if you got on yesterday's Brisky train. RIP Antonio
  • Options
    F1: Albon-Perez incident being investigated by the stewards.
  • Options
    Mr. Briskin, congrats.

Worth noting the Mercedes had better pace, but difficult passing, and was kinder on its tyres. Rather close at the end.
  • Options

Mr. Briskin, congrats.

Worth noting the Mercedes had better pace, but difficult passing, and was kinder on its tyres. Rather close at the end.

Thanks Morris, twas a nailbiter indeed
  • Options
    Labour 2,951 votes (16.11% -10.04% on last time) winning 0 seats (-1 on last time)

Wow - quite the pincer movement in the shires.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,480
    edited September 2019

ydoethur said:

And arrive three days late ?

At the wrong address...
  • Options
    I did warn you not to rely on Mercedes unreliability...
    But well done on the Hamilton tip - an excellent and probably otherwise unidentified bet.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

As for delays on the way to Old Trafford, perhaps you could suggest they find a way to stop Cummins, Smith and Labushagne from getting to the ground so Australia have to play Marsh, Bancroft and Wade?
    Might I suggest Yodel ?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,765
    Lol: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/01/passports-pets-gb-stickers-brexit-advice-issued-britons

"However, the site shows that not everyone is affected by Brexit. British nationals who live and work in the UK, do not run a business and have no plans to travel abroad are told to simply sit back and relax: “Based on your responses, you do not need to take any action to prepare for the Brexit deadline of 31 October 2019.”"

• Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Might I suggest Yodel ?
    Surely ER's preferred destination would rather be Yokel?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    Afd in comfortable second place in both Brandenburg and Sachsen
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Voting in Saxony exit poll %

CDU -32
    AfD - 27.5
    Linke 10.5
    Green -9
    SPD 8

non one else over 5%
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    CatMan said:

Lol: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/01/passports-pets-gb-stickers-brexit-advice-issued-britons

"However, the site shows that not everyone is affected by Brexit. British nationals who live and work in the UK, do not run a business and have no plans to travel abroad are told to simply sit back and relax: “Based on your responses, you do not need to take any action to prepare for the Brexit deadline of 31 October 2019.”"

What should it be recommending? If you live and work in the UK, don't have a business, and have no plans to travel there isn't much for you to do.
  • Options

CDU -32
    AfD - 27.5
    Linke 10.5
    Green -9
    SPD 8

non one else over 5%

FDP on 4,8 in both states, a nailbiting few hours for them.
  • Options

CDU -32
    AfD - 27.5
    Linke 10.5
    Green -9
    SPD 8

non one else over 5%

I take it those dashes are not minus signs?

Because otherwise that's a hell of a confusing result.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

If a GE is called I think it a bit off that £100 million of public funds will be used promoting the No Deal message Boris Johnson and the Tories will be campaigning on for the whole of the GE campaign. :wink:
  • Options
    What’s Jeremy Hunt doing these days?
    Hunkering down in a Mexican exile?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Brandenburg

SPD - 27.5
    AfD - 22.5
    CDU - 15.5
    Linke - 11
    Green -10
    Free Voters - 5

FDP 4.8
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

CDU -32
    AfD - 27.5
    Linke 10.5
    Green -9
    SPD 8

non one else over 5%

FDP on 4,8 in both states, a nailbiting few hours for them.
    yes.

but Merkel has managed to top poll in Saxony which was looking shaky two weeks ago

Of course we await some actual counting, this is just guessing so far.!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Might I suggest Yodel ?
    I realise Her Majesty is adept at adapting to the times, but that’s possibly a step too far.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

CDU -32
    AfD - 27.5
    Linke 10.5
    Green -9
    SPD 8

non one else over 5%

I take it those dashes are not minus signs?

Because otherwise that's a hell of a confusing result.
    Schrodingers exit poll :-)
  • Options
    Just to make it clear the German state figuers are exit polls. However the exit polls are usually very accurate, beacause of the proportional nature of the "second vote", and it is the "second vote" results being quoted here.
  • Options
    RobD said:

CatMan said:

What should it be recommending? If you live and work in the UK, don't have a business, and have no plans to travel there isn't much for you to do.
    I'm just thinking how many people who fit into that category voted Leave. I'm guessing more than 52%.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Might I suggest Yodel ?
    I realise Her Majesty is adept at adapting to the times, but that’s possibly a step too far.
    I don't know. She lives in Sandringham so one important qualification has already been attained.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Just to make it clear the German state figuers are exit polls. However the exit polls are usually very accurate, beacause of the proportional nature of the "second vote", and it is the "second vote" results being quoted here.

Die Linke seem to have taken most of the hits.
  • Options
    RobD said:

CatMan said:

Stock up on canned goods. We've already started but I'm not sure if Heinz Ravioli has all the nutritional ingredients required.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Might I suggest Yodel ?
    I don't know. She lives in Sandringham so one important qualification has already been attained.
    Point.

Anyway, as ever, dinner calls, and I have cannelloni to stuff.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078

CDU -32
    AfD - 27.5
    Linke 10.5
    Green -9
    SPD 8

non one else over 5%

This is the part when @HYUFD tells us how great it is that AFD are doing well and how this shows that Boris must be equivalent to the 2nd coming.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,117
    RobD said:

CatMan said:

Provided you don't need to eat or take any medicines.
  • Options

CDU -32
    AfD - 27.5
    Linke 10.5
    Green -9
    SPD 8

non one else over 5%

This is the part when @HYUFD tells us how great it is that AFD are doing well and how this shows that Boris must be equivalent to the 2nd coming.
    The AfD vote has jumped +18% in Saxony and +10% in Brandenburg but they have no chance of going in to government. Both states will end up with traffic light coalitions.
  • Options

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Stock up on canned goods. We've already started but I'm not sure if Heinz Ravioli has all the nutritional ingredients required.
    No doubt some joined up Government policy will combine animal culling with boosting the food supply. Anyone for roast badger or grey squirrel? I read somewhere that grey squirrels taste like chicken! Although I think for an average family; more than one squirrel will be required....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,578

RobD said:

CatMan said:

I wouldn't expect absolute shortages of food, more that certain foods become unavailable.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Yep, Die Linke are not the only party to lose votes but from 19% to 10.5% in Sachsen is really bad. CDU and SPD lost votes in both states as well.

I think SPD can be moderately happy in BB as they managed to hold onto 1st place comfortably and probably just as important the national switch from SPD to Greens is minimal, infact I reckon most of the Greens' gains will have come from die Linke.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

Yep, Die Linke are not the only party to lose votes but from 19% to 10.5% in Sachsen is really bad. CDU and SPD lost votes in both states as well.

I think SPD can be moderately happy in BB as they managed to hold onto 1st place comfortably and probably just as important the national switch from SPD to Greens is minimal, infact I reckon most of the Greens' gains will have come from die Linke.
    yes the SPD sort of needed a break. Their performance nationally is dismal as the greens are taking their voters.

However the result shows how much the East diverges from the West.
  • Options

CDU -32
    AfD - 27.5
    Linke 10.5
    Green -9
    SPD 8

non one else over 5%

The AfD vote has jumped +18% in Saxony and +10% in Brandenburg but they have no chance of going in to government. Both states will end up with traffic light coalitions.
    Traffic light coalition is impossible if the FDP don't get 5%,
    and in Sachsen the CDU wil surely be in the state government and have the Ministerpresident.
  • Options

RobD said:

CatMan said:

No doubt some joined up Government policy will combine animal culling with boosting the food supply. Anyone for roast badger or grey squirrel? I read somewhere that grey squirrels taste like chicken! Although I think for an average family; more than one squirrel will be required....
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

I wouldn't expect absolute shortages of food, more that certain foods become unavailable.
    I'm a bit more concerned about liquids - if I don't get my Carling I might get DTs
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    That is dire for the"official" opposition
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Chris said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Someone needs to do some growing up.

No food, seriously?

• Options
    eristdoof said:

CDU -32
    AfD - 27.5
    Linke 10.5
    Green -9
    SPD 8

non one else over 5%

and in Sachsen the CDU wil surely be in the state government and have the Ministerpresident.
    Sorry meant mult-colour coalitions. SA will be CDU led, BB SPD led. BB looks the hardxest to get a coalition but probably SPD\CDU\Green
  • Options
    Floater said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

No food, seriously?

We'll see.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Floater said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

No food, seriously?

We'll see.
    Either farmers are going to go out of business because they can't export, or the supermarkets shelves are going to be empty.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Its good that "you wouldn't expect" food shortages. But forgive the rest of us if we don't stake our life on that.
  • Options

I'm a bit more concerned about liquids - if I don't get my Carling I might get DTs

Drinking Carling is a far worse crime than voting Leave ;)
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Drinking Carling is a far worse crime than voting Leave ;)
    After 24 hours you are free of the effects of drinking Carling.
  • Options

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

It's brewed in the UK
  • Options
    Add a dash of lime to make Carling palatable. ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris said:

Floater said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

No food, seriously?

We'll see.
    Either farmers are going to go out of business because they can't export, or the supermarkets shelves are going to be empty.
    And you really haven't a clue what's going to happen, have you?
  • Options

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Squirrel is apparently very nice, particularly cooked in madeira, and as they are classified as vermin, we should eat more of them
  • Options
    Interesting to see on the previous thread that Beverley (a self-professed die hard Remainer) would accept EEA-EFTA.

I would also be willing to accept this, now, as a compromise to settle the issue. Revisit if needs be in 10-15 years time to see how it's working.

Is there still hope?
  • Options

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

It's brewed in the UK
    Yeah I know - that's why I drink it

#Carling4Tennents4indyref2

But if all the continental beer drinkers have to make the switch there might be shortages and I might die
  • Options

Interesting to see on the previous thread that Beverley (a self-professed die hard Remainer) would accept EEA-EFTA.

I would also be willing to accept this, now, as a compromise to settle the issue. Revisit if needs be in 10-15 years time to see how it's working.

Is there still hope?

I'd be willing to accept it, and I too am a die hard ultra mega super Remainer.
  • Options

Is there still hope?

You’re willing to accept vassalage? What’s the point?
  • Options

eristdoof said:

CDU -32
    AfD - 27.5
    Linke 10.5
    Green -9
    SPD 8

non one else over 5%

Sorry meant mult-colour coalitions. SA will be CDU led, BB SPD led. BB looks the hardxest to get a coalition but probably SPD\CDU\Green
    Ah OK. There's an opportunity to invent a silly name for a general 3+way coalition. I suggest Confetti-Coalition :-)

Yep I agree with your prognosis, SPD/CDU/Linke would numerically be slightly stronger than SPD/CDU/Green in BB, but the CDU is not going to work with die Linke.

The elephant in the room is, how long can the "established" parties last before a state allows a coalition with the AfD?
  • Options

Is there still hope?

No.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,849

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

It's brewed in the UK
    Not sure there is much brewing involved.
  • Options
    CatMan said:
    22%. And what? 30% of 18-24s voted Leave in the EU ref. here too.
  • Options

Is there still hope?

I think one has to realise that ship has sailed!

BJ and Brexiteers have gone too far down the road of extremism to do a EEA-EFTA IMO. I would support that as it would at least be a sensible compromise. But the Brexit supporting media are never going to ware that nor will Farage and co.

I still think being in the EU is better than being outside it or a 'vassal state' deal. I think Brexit is a bit like HS2, pointless and a waste of money...
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Is there still hope?

I don't consider it as vassalage - it's only the rules to the extent required to maintain compliance with the single market - and we'd have forums to be consulted on any new economic rules, just as Norway do. This has been explored many times on here by Richard and Robert.

It removes us from all the political aspects of the EU, including crime and justice, CAP and CFP and gives us an emergency brake on free movement.

I suspect - at this stage - it might require ratification in a second referendum, however.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Is there still hope?

I'd be willing to accept it, and I too am a die hard ultra mega super Remainer.
    Interesting. Thanks.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

It's brewed in the UK
    I remember hearing a PR man from Carling proudly boasting that they have a 7 day turnaround from hops and water to pouring the pint in the pub.

I think that is something they should be ashamed of not proud of.
  • Options

Streeter said:

Is there still hope?

I don't consider it as vassalage - it's only the rules to the extent required to maintain compliance with the single market - and we'd have forums to be consulted on any new economic rules, just as Norway do. This has been explored many times on here by Richard and Robert.

It removes us from all the political aspects of the EU, including crime and justice, CAP and CFP and gives us an emergency brake on free movement.

I suspect - at this stage - it might require ratification in a second referendum, however.
    It's called "Government by Fax", EU makes the rules and then faxes them to Norway
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

It's brewed in the UK
    I remember hearing a PR man from Carling proudly boasting that they have a 7 day turnaround from hops and water to pouring the pint in the pub.

Having tasted it once I agree
  • Options
    Carling drinkers...on PB....whatever next...
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Whatever the pros and cons of Carling is - remember it's a Brisky Yoon campaign to stop the Scottish Groat in its tracks (Tennents being a very similar beverage but brewed in Glasgow)

So remember Yoons

And English comrades have their own hashtag with tennents being pretty much unavailable in England-

#Whiskey4Whisky4indyref2.

• Options
    eristdoof said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

It's brewed in the UK

I don't see why. That seems a reasonable timeframe to make beer.
  • Options

Keep it quiet but I’ve even drank Strongbow in the past.
  • Options

Streeter said:

Is there still hope?

If that had seriosly pursued after the referendum*, then it could have worked as a compromise. May and the Tories wouldn't have it though, insisted on their redlines and have got us entrenched in A war of attrition, so probably not viable.

*Pretty much what Norman Lamb proposed after the referendum, and not very far from the Labour position of those like Starmer and co. Too late now.
  • Options

This is what happens when you let people who like pineapple on pizzas post on PB.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    CatMan said:
    This is what you'd expect: they're the most likely to be disillusioned. The older voters at least have pensions.
  • Options

Keep it quiet but I’ve even drank Strongbow in the past.
    Diabetes in a can.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Whatever the pros and cons of Carling is - remember it's a Brisky Yoon campaign to stop the Scottish Groat in its tracks (Tennents being a very similar beverage but brewed in Glasgow)

So remember Yoons

And English comrades have their own hashtag with tennents being pretty much unavailable in England-

Tennants may be cooking lager but it is far and away better than Carling.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

CatMan said:
    This is what you'd expect: they're the most likely to be disillusioned. The older voters at least have pensions.
    It is notable that the German, French and other continental right wing populists get a much younger support than in England.
  • Options

Fear not - given my Epic Wins today I will soon be starting my birthday champers early.

(beer before wine and I'll be fine?)
  • Options

eristdoof said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:
    It's brewed in the UK

I don't see why. That seems a reasonable timeframe to make beer.
    When it is just chemicals yes.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

eristdoof said:

So remember Yoons

I can barely taste the difference. Unfortunately my campaign might not be too well understood by my English Comrades, not knowing quite how ubiquitous the pint of tennents is in Scotland.
  • Options

Fear not - given my Epic Wins today I will soon be starting my birthday champers early.

Even after taking a massive pounding on the Ryder Cup last year I didn't resort to drinking Carling!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Got a leaflet from a LD PPC today.
  • Options

Even after taking a massive pounding on the Ryder Cup last year I didn't resort to drinking Carling!
    Fine fine, you've got your own hashtag anyway-

#Whiskey4Whisky4indyref2
  • Options

malcolmg said:

eristdoof said:

So remember Yoons

I can barely taste the difference. Unfortunately my campaign might not be too well understood by my English Comrades, not knowing quite how ubiquitous the pint of tennents is in Scotland.
    I only drink Tennants if it is the only choice in a pub, I would go elsewhere rather than drink Carling personally.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

eristdoof said:

So remember Yoons

I only drink Tennants if it is the only choice in a pub, I would go elsewhere rather than drink Carling personally.
    Yes well that just about some's up the joyous civic nature of yourself and other Scotnats - Hense the campaign
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Didnt want to be interviewed when campaigning for leadership of the Tory party.
    Didnt want to debate with rival candidates
    Doesnt want parliamentary scrutiny so suspends parliament
    Doesnt want to deal with Gauke so pretends he doesnt have time

Yet leavers still assume he is a great communicator who will run a fabulous campaign.

A coward who hides is not leadership material and that will become apparent in any GE, as it was with May.
  • Options

This is what happens when you let people who like pineapple on pizzas post on PB.
    Even I am appalled.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Didnt want to be interviewed when campaigning for leadership of the Tory party.
    Didnt want to debate with rival candidates
    Doesnt want parliamentary scrutiny so suspends parliament
    Doesnt want to deal with Gauke so pretends he doesnt have time

Yet leavers still assume he is a great communicator who will run a fabulous campaign.

A coward who hides is not leadership material and that will become apparent in any GE, as it was with May.
    When debate reared its ugly head,
    Sir Boris bravely turned and fled,
    Brave, Brave Brave Sir Boris...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938

Is there still hope?

No, there's no hope.

We shall probably end up No Dealing. A US trade deal will turn out to be a chimera. And the imbalances in the UK economy will bite us hard.

A difficult 2 to 3 years will either be followed by us accepting something that looks just like the Withdrawal Agreement (so, we had a nasty recession all for nothing), or a true socialist government is elected, as the all previous problems were due to lack of government intervention.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

eristdoof said:

So remember Yoons

Yes well that just about some's up the joyous civic nature of yourself and other Scotnats - Hense the campaign
    Unlike you joyless Carling drinking unionist whingers. Your autocorrect made a right balls of your spelling by the way.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Is there still hope?

No, there's no hope.

We shall probably end up No Dealing. A US trade deal will turn out to be a chimera. And the imbalances in the UK economy will bite us hard.

A difficult 2 to 3 years will either be followed by us accepting something that looks just like the Withdrawal Agreement (so, we had a nasty recession all for nothing), or a true socialist government is elected, as the all previous problems were due to lack of government intervention.
    The campaign both of you voted for made EEA-EFTA impossible, I mean have you forgotten all those campaign pledges to leave the Single Market?
This discussion has been closed.