Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories seem determined to blow up their own party

Comments

• Options
    Not a signatory of Philip Hammond's letter:

https://twitter.com/HuwMerriman/status/1168287556712185858
  • Options

He certainly does have a get out clause from a GE whose timing would lead to No Deal (e.g. Nov 1st)

I think Labour would simply amend the proposal to include a suspension of Brexit for 3 months while the election was held and the public had the chance to consider the options. Hardline Tories can say "ha, ha, and you were calling for an elevtion, now you're frit", but I don't think that line would hold.
    How long would a process like the Justin Welby Citizens Panel take?
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

More on the usefulness of distance.

I’ve been in Greece a few weeks now. Reading history as I go.

What I now realise - and which I didn’t before - is that Brexit is far far beyond a reset of our trading arrangements, it is a genuine revolution. Hopefully, it will be a very British revolution - largely bloodless - but it is a revolution, nonetheless. The ancien regime - the Europhile elite, the rich metropolitan Remainers - will be sidelined. Or even swept away. Hence their cries of pain, as they subconsciously sense this.

All revolutions are painful. This will be no different. But if Brexit works - in the long term - it will threaten the order everywhere. This is why elites in other countries hate it, too.

Will the rich metropolitan leavers be left standing?
    If they have any sense they will flee to Greece, and a hideaway in the sun. I can recommend the mountains of Zagoria. Utterly stunning.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

I wonder what Mr O'Hara would have written about Howe's 1981 budget? Surely there was a party throwing itself off the cliff in the mad pursuit of monetarism, against the advice of the famous 364 economists, with an MP crossing the floor and others walking out, dooming itself to never winning an election again or at best squeaking through one election on the back of divided opposition before its inevitable and final annihilation?

What happened instead was the underlying inflation that had so dogged our economic performance for more than a decade was finally brought under control and unemployment fell sharply rather than the increase forecast. The ground was set for strong future economic growth and a new consensus was created that remained in place until the latter days of Brown's hubris.

So let it be with Brexit. If we leave (and it is still not certain) there will be a new consensus and all to play for.

Thatcher made a massive u-turn over her original monetarist plan though. And I'm not sure where your idea of a sharp fall in employment comes from, it steadily rose until the mid 80s...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2007/jun/13/theladywasforturning
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-22070491
    Unemployment fell sharply after the 1981 budget until a second recession in the late 80’s. I checked my memory of this this morning before posting but can’t access the table on my phone.
    I think you're mistaken on that, it rose until the mid 80s, then declined in the late 80s whilst still being higher than when she took office. The highest point on record is in 1984 I believe.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/unemployment-rate
    Not according to this chart: https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/780/unemployment/unemployment-rates-history/
    Unemployment rate annual average:
    1980: 7.4
    1981: 11.4
    1982: 13.0
    1982: 12.2
    1983: 11.5
    1984: 11.7
    1985: 11.8
    Are these year on year figures comparable? In this period the definition of "unemployed" for the purposes of the headline figure changed several times.
  • Options
    Well in this momentous week i came on here for some insight. I didn't get past "shop worn" and "tawdry and fleabitten"

Come on this is one eyed partisan guff. I assumed it was written by a Labour MP, turns out to be some professor I've never heard of.

Next
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    nichomar said:

Very telling to see remainers in utter despair on here this morning.

Now the game is almost up I would caution them against over-doing the ludicrous predictions of biblical catastrophes post Brexit.

They are setting the expectation bar so low as to almost guarantee the perception of success - which will kill stone dead any prospect of rejoining.

To which ludicrous predictions of biblical catastrophe are you referring?
    THe no food one from yesterday was pretty amusing

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

Lovable scamp (acquired by duplicitous prick in vain attempt to deflect from him being a duplicitous prick).

https://twitter.com/MarinaHyde/status/1168445170741850112?s=20

A dog is for life, not just until the next election.
  • Options

Yet ANOTHER shouty mouth "BoJo is a moron" article on PB...

So dull.

A genuine question. Can anyone point to the last article on this site that was written by a Leaver?
  • Options

Blair complimenting Corbyn for standing aside for a GONU

I have not heard that and has Corbyn's office agreed ?

As I stood in the breakout area making a tea I was watching Blair explain to Labour the course they should take.....

I'm not sure if that helps or hinders as the new marxist Labour party hates him
  • Options

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

I wonder what Mr O'Hara would have written about Howe's 1981 budget? Surely there was a party throwing itself off the cliff in the mad pursuit of monetarism, against the advice of the famous 364 economists, with an MP crossing the floor and others walking out, dooming itself to never winning an election again or at best squeaking through one election on the back of divided opposition before its inevitable and final annihilation?

What happened instead was the underlying inflation that had so dogged our economic performance for more than a decade was finally brought under control and unemployment fell sharply rather than the increase forecast. The ground was set for strong future economic growth and a new consensus was created that remained in place until the latter days of Brown's hubris.

So let it be with Brexit. If we leave (and it is still not certain) there will be a new consensus and all to play for.

Thatcher made a massive u-turn over her original monetarist plan though. And I'm not sure where your idea of a sharp fall in employment comes from, it steadily rose until the mid 80s...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2007/jun/13/theladywasforturning
    Unemployment fell sharply after the 1981 budget until a second recession in the late 80’s. I checked my memory of this this morning before posting but can’t access the table on my phone.
    A sharp fall in unemployment from the highest levels since the great depression and still substantially above the level inherited by Thatcher is what I'm sure you meant (and lets not even get into the finagling of the definition of unemployment).
    Tories always fiddle the numbers in any case
    And that i a nutshell is your mentality - "our opppnents are liars, scoundrels and morons."

Doesnt win many votes amongst the undecided.
    It’s a long time since I saw a SCon, SLab or SLD politician trying to win over an undecided. Brit Nats haven’t got anything positive to offer.
  • Options

‪The great news is that whatever crap No Deal Brexit throws at millions of UK citizens at home and abroad, Johnson, Rees Mogg, Raab, Williamson, Patel, Javid and co - and their families - will be absolutely fine. Their wealth, privilege and connections will see them through. Phew!‬

Just like Blair and Brown then.

Plus Cameron and Osborne.

You can add the failed bankers and the incompetent Sir Humphreys.

When was it last different ? Admiral Byng perhaps ?

Yep, the elite will be absolutely fine. They will carry on being the elite. That’s what makes claims that all this is a revolution ridiculous. It is merely a shifting of power from one immensely privileged, entitled bloc to another.

• Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

And you were bitching about Blair getting a 66 seat majority on 35.2% of the vote were you?

Yeah, right. Plenty of hypocrites on that one.....

And before you ask, I am one of those liberal lefties who though that Ukip should have 90 MPs when they were polling 15%, even though they are scum.

Principle. It's not that difficult to get your head round. Even for Tories.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956

So dull.

A genuine question. Can anyone point to the last article on this site that was written by a Leaver?
    If you want one write one and if it is any good TSE will post it.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    What's going on in the rest of the world Scott ? or are you pretending this is all Brexit related again
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Seen from the distant yet fitting perspective of the Byzantine ghost city of Mystras, in the southern Peloponnese, just west of Sparta - where I lie on my sunbed, typing this - Britain looks like a stricken young woman in a Jane Austen novel.

She has been confined to bed for months with a progressively worsening illness. But now the crisis comes. The fever must break, in the next few days...

Who are the quack doctors recommending more bleeding and consumption of mercury in your metaphor?
    Hah. I actually went to Missolonghi last week. To see where Lord B died.

It is a suitably bleak, flat, sunburned, melancholy place, hard by a swamp which still occasionally executes locals via malaria. Byron’s last view - of the seething sea, and the brooding islands - as beautiful and desolate as death itself - might have consoled him, I think.
    I think that's known as wine dark prose...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The Remainers seem surprised and dismayed that the ruthless, ambitious, scheming and duplicitous Boris Johnson, has turned out to be a ruthless, ambitious, scheming and duplicitous prime minister.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Lovable scamp (acquired by duplicitous prick in vain attempt to deflect from him being a duplicitous prick).

I'm sure Domski will take care of it, so to speak.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    edited September 2019
    Do we know how Theresa May will vote through all these rebel legislations? She can't feel she owes anything to Boris, and she clearly doesn't want no deal or else she would've gone for it when PM. The government has spent half its time shitting on her premiership. Or will party loyalty win out? Because it could be the ultimate challenge to Boris if she can be persuaded to back rebel legislation, they couldn't expel the previous PM from the party, it would look ridiculous.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:
    What's going on in the rest of the world Scott ? or are you pretending this is all Brexit related again
    Has be compared it with Germany
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

Do we know how Theresa May will vote through all these rebel legislations? She can't feel she owes anything to Boris, and she clearly doesn't want no deal or else she would've gone for it when PM. The government has spent half its time shitting on her premiership. Or will party loyalty win out? Because it could be the ultimate challenge to Boris if she can be persuaded to back rebel legislation, they couldn't expel the previous PM from the party, it would look ridiculous.

There remains a significant cohort of Cons MPs who always have and always will vote for the government. I think TMay is within such a cohort.
  • Options

‪The great news is that whatever crap No Deal Brexit throws at millions of UK citizens at home and abroad, Johnson, Rees Mogg, Raab, Williamson, Patel, Javid and co - and their families - will be absolutely fine. Their wealth, privilege and connections will see them through. Phew!‬

Just like Blair and Brown then.

Plus Cameron and Osborne.

You can add the failed bankers and the incompetent Sir Humphreys.

When was it last different ? Admiral Byng perhaps ?

Yep, the elite will be absolutely fine. They will carry on being the elite. That’s what makes claims that all this is a revolution ridiculous. It is merely a shifting of power from one immensely privileged, entitled bloc to another.

That's Orwell's description of revolutions, isn't it?
    The Middle co-opt the Low to displace the High, before dumping the Low back in their place.
  • Options

I don't know for sure but I'd assume she'll vote with the leadership, she's opposed Great Patriotic Flounce Prevention legislation before.
  • Options

I expect TM to remain loyal to her party
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    I don't want to disappoint(?) Lord Byron but I doubt the ancien regime in Britain is going to collapse. What may happen is they have their wings clipped and we end up with something more democratic - hopefully not governments elected by one-fifth or less of the electorate.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic though. I honestly believed the British elite would be more open to change than it has thus far shown. At the moment the only urge for many seems to be to fight Brexit.

Not discounting a certain number of the privileged who would very much like Brexit to happen.
  • Options
    The sunlit uplands of Brexit are awesome.
  • Options

To the government you mean. There are about five different parties within the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Scott_P said:
    The Remainers seem surprised and dismayed that the ruthless, ambitious, scheming and duplicitous Boris Johnson, has turned out to be a ruthless, ambitious, scheming and duplicitous prime minister.
    Just because we believed him to be without principle doesn't mean we shouldn't point it out.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

Maybe they're three steps ahead of us. Most treacherous electorate in the world, no?

They couldn't block Boris in the last leadership election because it only took 1/3 of their colleagues to get him through to the final round, and if he got that far then they knew the members would pick him.

So nod him through, wait for him to show himself as ruthless, ambitious, scheming and duplicitous, profess to be surprised, send in some letters, sack him in a secret ballot, and now he's banned from running again...
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited September 2019

So dull.

If leavers don't bother to write articles then it is not really the site's fault. Richard Tyndall confirmed a couple of threads back that his leave article were always published.
  • Options
    Yes, Cummings could walk in and ask "Is it safe ?"
  • Options

I don't want to disappoint(?) Lord Byron but I doubt the ancien regime in Britain is going to collapse. What may happen is they have their wings clipped and we end up with something more democratic - hopefully not governments elected by one-fifth or less of the electorate.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic though. I honestly believed the British elite would be more open to change than it has thus far shown. At the moment the only urge for many seems to be to fight Brexit.

Not discounting a certain number of the privileged who would very much like Brexit to happen.

Brexit is just continuity Thatcherism. It is a project of the elite, presented as a project against the elite.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

If leavers don't bother to write articles then it is not really the site's fault. Richard Tyndall confirmed a couple of threads back that his leave article were always published.

I may be wrong but thought David Herdson voted leave???
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    OllyT said:

So dull.

If leavers don't bother to write articles then it is not really the site's fault.
    I imagine Leavers, being sensible, hardworking people, only write for money. Hence this site’s bias to effete, pampered, boring Remainers, who will give you thirty eight hundred tediously slanted and utterly witless paragraphs, all for free.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

OllyT said:

So dull.

If leavers don't bother to write articles then it is not really the site's fault.
    I imagine Leavers, being sensible, hardworking people, only write for money. Hence this site’s bias to effete, pampered, boring Remainers, who will give you thirty eight hundred tediously slanted and utterly witless paragraphs, all for free.
    And were there any doubt that Byronic is SeanT he has just removed it.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Nigelb said:

I'm sure Domski will take care of it, so to speak.
    Give it to Hezza he will get rid of it..
  • Options
    Byronic said:

OllyT said:

So dull.

Yet have you like a puppy on a chain commenting and hence credentialising everything they write.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    eek said:

eek said:

Noo said:

Any moves to install anyone as PM without a GE will result in uproar in the public

An administration of Labour + Lib Dem represents a larger share of the popular vote than a Conservative + DUP one.
    If so it has to be tested in a GE
    Technically they won a higher percentage of the popular vote at the last election compared to the DUP and Tory party.
    If they also have more votes in Parliament they deserve a chance of Government as that is the purpose of the FTPA.

Just because you don't like an argument when it's used against you doesn't invalidate the argument.
    Maybe but it is not about me liking an argument, a GE is the only answer
    A General election won't solve a thing - this issue was created by a referendum another referendum is the only thing that will lance this boil...
    I don't this is right.

Tony Blair probably has a technical point, as repeated by you here, but for sound political pragmatic reasons I don't think another referendum is the way to resolve this.

Referenda are bad things. They often present complex issues in simplistic ways. But, worse, they don't cater for subsequent shifts in opinion. In the case of Brexit, a very complex process of divorce was presented in a crassly simplistic binary manner. That has now well and truly come home to roost.

Regular elections are much better because it allows for the provisionality of positions to be tested by the litmus of public opinion expressed through the ballot box.

In this case, whilst it's true that a General Election will not be confined to Brexit, it is nevertheless the case that nearly all the parties will have a very clearly defined Brexit policy. Therefore, how the people vote will lead to a result.

Cons & BXP: No Deal Brexit
    LibDems, SNP, Plaid, Greens: Remain

Labour: God only knows
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,209

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

A sharp fall in unemployment from the highest levels since the great depression and still substantially above the level inherited by Thatcher is what I'm sure you meant (and lets not even get into the finagling of the definition of unemployment).
    Tories always fiddle the numbers in any case
    And that i a nutshell is your mentality - "our opppnents are liars, scoundrels and morons."

Doesnt win many votes amongst the undecided.
    Except that it is true. I think you will find that the vast majority of voters think that Boris is simply a duplicitous shit. Some may even be prepared to vote for him on that basis, but the polling numbers are extremely clear.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807
    edited September 2019
    Mango said:

And you were bitching about Blair getting a 66 seat majority on 35.2% of the vote were you?

Yeah, right. Plenty of hypocrites on that one.....

For the millionth time: I sure did. It was a disgrace.

You might just have me confused for a labour voter...
    No, I had no problem with that 2005 result on the basis of a long standing FPTP system. And I respect the fact that, if you look at the manifestos and numbers, this parliament was never going to produce a majority for any one form of Brexit; I respect the impasse and the democratic reasons for it. And if Boris wins the next GE on 31% and has not been legally prevented from pursuing No Deal, I'll give that due respect as well as an impasse breaker, although the free speech right to whinge and protest that also stands, as does the right to regroup and pitch for a rapid EFTA solution post No Deal.

Voters know the system and can behave accordingly.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Blair complimenting Corbyn for standing aside for a GONU

I have not heard that and has Corbyn's office agreed ?

Blair complementing Corbyn with working with the opposition to no deal.
    He also said Johnson was creating an elephant trap of a GE before Brexit which Labour should not fall into.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

OllyT said:

So dull.

Thirty eight hundred paragraphs ?
    Even the best Cyclefree articles don't quite run to that.

Though if you count up the last week's comments from HYUFD...
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985
    Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Seen from the distant yet fitting perspective of the Byzantine ghost city of Mystras, in the southern Peloponnese, just west of Sparta - where I lie on my sunbed, typing this - Britain looks like a stricken young woman in a Jane Austen novel.

She has been confined to bed for months with a progressively worsening illness. But now the crisis comes. The fever must break, in the next few days...

Who are the quack doctors recommending more bleeding and consumption of mercury in your metaphor?
    Hah. I actually went to Missolonghi last week. To see where Lord B died.

It is a suitably bleak, flat, sunburned, melancholy place, hard by a swamp which still occasionally executes locals via malaria. Byron’s last view - of the seething sea, and the brooding islands - as beautiful and desolate as death itself - might have consoled him, I think.
    I think that's known as wine dark prose...
    It's like one of the poems Adrian Mole keeps sending to Hugh Trevor-Roper.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Maybe they're three steps ahead of us. Most treacherous electorate in the world, no?

They couldn't block Boris in the last leadership election because it only took 1/3 of their colleagues to get him through to the final round, and if he got that far then they knew the members would pick him.

So nod him through, wait for him to show himself as ruthless, ambitious, scheming and duplicitous, profess to be surprised, send in some letters, sack him in a secret ballot, and now he's banned from running again...
    Sadly not. One of the great revelations of late stage Brexit is how the stupid the supposedly “smarter” Remainers have turned out to be. They profess to be the educated Ubermenschen, the suave and worldly experts, the guys with the doctorates and names like Jolyon - yet they have been outwitted at every turn by the likes of Nigel Farage.

Even now they stare across the Commons, unable to use their majority, due to some innate infirmity of purpose, allied to a gross over-estimation of their own abilities.

Truly, the ancien regime. As I said.
  • Options

So dull.

Leavers can write? Wow!

I think they just drew in crayon. Outlines, blobs that sort of thing - I mean, who needs detail?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

OllyT said:

So dull.

His best was claiming opinion polls gave Johnson moral authority to peruse his policies
  • Options

OllyT said:

I may be wrong but thought David Herdson voted leave???
    You are wrong.
  • Options
    A very fine article that seems to be right in just about every respect. Johnson cannot deliver what he has repeatedly said he will deliver.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/ivan-rogers-the-realities-of-a-no-deal-brexit/
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709

Scott_P said:
    All lies! What would the growers/importers/packers/manufacturers/wholesalers/retailers know about it? Anyone would think these traitors knew anything about how to negotiate. The should Simply Back Boris and we will be fine.
    To be fair, water finds its level. Freighters will continue to ship as long as their additional costs are passed on. Combined with the further fall in the pound, we will see the prices in the shops rocket upwards. Brexit is pointless and extremely costly but we will still get tomatoes at twice the price.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    I can't see the No 10 strategy working, but then I am nearly always wrong!

The chances of a pre October 31st election providing a majority of MPs for No Deal if there is no renegotiation looks slim at best.

The chances of Parliament allowing No Deal on 31st October look to be around zero. If Parliament outlaws No Deal, the chances of a new negotiated deal or slim to zero.

These add up to not leaving on 31st October.

Post election there is likely to be an unstable minority / coalition arrangement. Although we should note that has been the case since 2010, with the exception of Cameron 2015 - 17.

Any referendum is likely to take too long. I agree with Boris that we need a fixed date and asap to eradicate so much of the uncertainty in the economy.

Is it time to push revoke as a serious option? It is always at the back of the queue, a misty and far of figure.

It has lots of advantages, such as not changing anything! I believe it to be a bad option, as it leaves us in our rather odd half in half out position, which will therefore continue to give us numerous opportunities to have differences with the EU, it does nothing to eradicate the causes and foundations of Euroscepticism, which would therefore continue and possibly grow in numbers or intensity.

My view is that we do need to reset our relationship with EU. I would rather achieve that and be in fully (Euro, Shengen etc). If that isn't an option then a No Deal scenario is probably best in the long term.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

OllyT said:

So dull.

Yet have you like a puppy on a chain commenting and hence credentialising everything they write.
    Lol. I’ve commented maybe twice in a fortnight. I’m too busy enjoying the Agiorgtiko wine and sea urchin gonads. You, however.....
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    The problem the Remainers have is that following the referendum, many of the Brexit scum expected the Elite to delay things as long as possible until they could renege on the promise to implement the result. A gold star for the LDs who thought thirty seconds was long enough.

All this mock democracy talk about a People's election (only animals voted the first time?) is just that. I remember Remainers complaining that Leavers weren't all celebrating. "What wrong?" they asked. "You've got your wicked way. Stop complaining."

Many Leavers remained sceptical it would ever be allowed. All this latest whingeing proves is that we were right all along. Democracy is only allowed for the self-selected minority.

I might vote for a communist or a fascist next time. At least they're honest anti-democrats,
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Sadly not. One of the great revelations of late stage Brexit is how the stupid the supposedly “smarter” Remainers have turned out to be. They profess to be the educated Ubermenschen, the suave and worldly experts, the guys with the doctorates and names like Jolyon - yet they have been outwitted at every turn by the likes of Nigel Farage.

Even now they stare across the Commons, unable to use their majority, due to some innate infirmity of purpose, allied to a gross over-estimation of their own abilities.

"Late stage Brexit"? We haven't even left yet! Once we are five years into negotiating the UK-EU FTA we might just about be in mid stage Brexit. And you call Remainers stupid? How many bottles of raki in are you?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

OllyT said:

So dull.

Lol. I’ve commented maybe twice in a fortnight. I’m too busy enjoying the Agiorgtiko wine and sea urchin gonads. You, however.....
    Conclusive evidence that you're not the great man, I seem to recall S****T being extremely scathing about Greek food and drink. It wouldn't be like him to change his mind.
  • Options
    Listening to Jacob Rees Mogg and his callous disregard for medical experts, if No Dealers are going to let people die because of their ideology then once Brexit is overturned then the likes of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, Dom Cummings, and JRM should be charged with crimes against humanity.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

One of the challenges that Remain has always had to deal with is that the world does not operate in black and white. Understandably, many people think that it should and wish that it did, so are minded to give time and votes to those who say that it does. Unfortunately, though, it never, ever works.

• Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:
    Just because we believed him to be without principle doesn't mean we shouldn't point it out.
    Yeah. Surprise level = 0%
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

eek said:

eek said:

Noo said:

Any moves to install anyone as PM without a GE will result in uproar in the public

An administration of Labour + Lib Dem represents a larger share of the popular vote than a Conservative + DUP one.
    If so it has to be tested in a GE
    Technically they won a higher percentage of the popular vote at the last election compared to the DUP and Tory party.
    If they also have more votes in Parliament they deserve a chance of Government as that is the purpose of the FTPA.

Just because you don't like an argument when it's used against you doesn't invalidate the argument.
    Maybe but it is not about me liking an argument, a GE is the only answer
    A General election won't solve a thing - this issue was created by a referendum another referendum is the only thing that will lance this boil...
    I don't this is right.

Tony Blair probably has a technical point, as repeated by you here, but for sound political pragmatic reasons I don't think another referendum is the way to resolve this.

Referenda are bad things. They often present complex issues in simplistic ways. But, worse, they don't cater for subsequent shifts in opinion. In the case of Brexit, a very complex process of divorce was presented in a crassly simplistic binary manner. That has now well and truly come home to roost.

Regular elections are much better because it allows for the provisionality of positions to be tested by the litmus of public opinion expressed through the ballot box.

In this case, whilst it's true that a General Election will not be confined to Brexit, it is nevertheless the case that nearly all the parties will have a very clearly defined Brexit policy. Therefore, how the people vote will lead to a result.

Cons & BXP: No Deal Brexit
    LibDems, SNP, Plaid, Greens: Remain

Labour: God only knows
    You do know .
    Labour is another referendum on a deal v remain.
  • Options
    *coughs*
  • Options
    Tony Blair could tell me he was personally going to fund state of the art cancer treatment for my wife and give me 10 million quid, and I'd still be hard pressed not to head butt him. That's why he's the wrong messenger.
  • Options

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

OllyT said:

So dull.

Conclusive evidence that you're not the great man, I seem to recall S****T being extremely scathing about Greek food and drink. It wouldn't be like him to change his mind.
    It's ok for about 2-3 days, and a bit of a novelty, but then becomes extremely repetitive and boring.

You can only get excited about feta cheese, salad and moussaka so many times.
  • Options

Listening to Jacob Rees Mogg and his callous disregard for medical experts, if No Dealers are going to let people die because of their ideology then once Brexit is overturned then the likes of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, Dom Cummings, and JRM should be charged with crimes against humanity.

I suspect there is enough evidence in today's debate for JRM to be charged if it's required.

The show trials are going to be spectacular
  • Options

"Late stage Brexit"? We haven't even left yet! Once we are five years into negotiating the UK-EU FTA we might just about be in mid stage Brexit. And you call Remainers stupid? How many bottles of raki in are you?

I think the smarter observers have realised just how much of a disaster ongoing negotiations with the EU post Brexit will be for Labour.

Fighting hard to stay in the EU is understandable.

Fighting against your own country when it comes to post exit negotiations is something quite different.

Every single GE this will be an issue...

Strong but fair negotiations with the Tories.

Or,

Weak, supplication with Labour.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    Morning all :)

Moving rapidly off-topic:

Interesting results from the German State elections in Saxony and Brandenburg yesterday. Starting with Saxony, Kretschmer's CDU held off the AfD who put up an extraordinary 27.5% of the vote (up 18 points) whereas final polls were suggesting 25%. The CDU took a hit but the big losers were Linke, the SPD (who crawled home fifth) and the FDP who, despite polls showing they might get back into the Landtag, missed out.

In terms of seats, the CDU has 45 but while the AfD technically won 38, I don't think they put up enough candidates on their list to fill 38 places so it may be some of those "gains" will be re-distributed.. A CDU coalition with the SPD would be a minority (55 out of 129) but it seems the obvious option.

In Brandenburg, the final polls showing a near dead heat between SPD and AfD at 22-21 turned out incorrect. The SPD outpolled AfD 26-23.5. The SPD were down but not by as much as the CDU who were well back in third. Linke again took a big hit and the Greens moved forward a little just outpolling Linke for fourth place. The Free Voters got into the Landtag but again the FDP, despite some progress, were short of the 5% threshold.

The SPD won 25 seats, AfD 23, the CDU 15 and the Greens and Linke won 10 seats each. I think there's a coalition there somewhere led by the SPD - an SDP, Green, Linke grouping would have a majority in the Landtag.

Lessons? A bad night for the CDU and SPD but it might have been worse. The final polls understated AfD who finished a strong second in both states but they may be disappointed not to have topped the poll in Brandenburg. A disastrous night for Linke who may well struggle to keep Bundestag representation on this evidence. Modest progress for the Greens in areas of traditional weakness and ditto for the FDP.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Yes, this is clearly late-stage. The climacteric approaches. The strings build towards the crescendo. In the next two months - maybe the next week - we will know whether we are headed for Deal, No Deal, Referendum or Revoke.

Sure, Brexit will rumble on after this, but it will be like a thumping, dwindling, post coital heartbeat. We will have a cigarette, maybe some pillow talk with Brussels. Then we will rise and get on with the day.
  • Options
    Remember when Belgium didn't have a government for 18 months?

I'll bet that was relaxing.
  • Options

*coughs*

Yes, I enjoyed your recent header, and I believe you might foolishly have opted to vote Leave ? :smile:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

OllyT said:

So dull.

In case Byronic enjoys the finer foods in life - tried Hide yet? 85 Piccadilly. Mouth-wateringly wonderful, eye-wateringly expensive....
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    Scott_P said:
    The government cannot break the law. Really?!

Any number of court cases tell you that is utter nonsense.

It is very dangerous nonsense if Ministers really believe that and are willing to act on it.

"Be you ever so high the law is above you."
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Floater said:

Why do you think Brexit is not part of the Real World?
  • Options

Remember when Belgium didn't have a government for 18 months?

I'll bet that was relaxing.

Not on pb.belgique it wasn't. 18 months on pizza toppings.....
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

OllyT said:

So dull.

His best was claiming opinion polls gave Johnson moral authority to peruse his policies
    That is an excellent typo, and indeed they do.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

So dull.

Does a dearth of articles from leavers suggest a correlation between leave and literacy? ;-)
  • Options
    Mr. B, it was even a brief article (300-400 words). I considered padding it out but decided against that.

One thing I could've added, and didn't, was that the initial frontrunner to succeed Alexander was a rabble-rouser of no real authority called Meleager. His 'reign' ended when Perdiccas had his supporters trampled to death by elephants.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    edited September 2019

So dull.

Yes, I published one fewer than 48 hours ago.

It was a very good historical comparison so I can understand why you might have thought it was written by me.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/08/31/boris-johnson-invites-himself-to-the-battle-of-ipsus/
  • Options
    eek said:

I suspect there is enough evidence in today's debate for JRM to be charged if it's required.

The show trials are going to be spectacular
    Looking forward to the "Auschwitz for Leavers" guy up first.....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    stodge said:

Morning all :)

Lessons? A bad night for the CDU and SPD but it might have been worse. The final polls understated AfD who finished a strong second in both states but they may be disappointed not to have topped the poll in Brandenburg. A disastrous night for Linke who may well struggle to keep Bundestag representation on this evidence. Modest progress for the Greens in areas of traditional weakness and ditto for the FDP.

Concur with your conclusions except that I think there was a lot of Linke->SPD tactical voting in Brandenburg to make sure they stayed ahead (even some CDU-SPD tactical votes, according to the CDU state chair). But polarisation is certainly happening there too.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited September 2019
    Only 60 shouty days to Brexmas
  • Options

A very fine article that seems to be right in just about every respect. Johnson cannot deliver what he has repeatedly said he will deliver.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/ivan-rogers-the-realities-of-a-no-deal-brexit/

This is a magnificent puncturing of the delusional mindset taking hold in the UK over Brexit. Sir Ivan Rogers knows more about these issues, literally, than all Brexiteers put together. I've been lucky enough to meet him and he is just as impressive in person. The fact that May's government forced him out was an early signal of the dismal national humiliation that awaits us.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Is it time to push revoke as a serious option? It is always at the back of the queue, a misty and far of figure.

It has lots of advantages, such as not changing anything! I believe it to be a bad option, as it leaves us in our rather odd half in half out position, which will therefore continue to give us numerous opportunities to have differences with the EU, it does nothing to eradicate the causes and foundations of Euroscepticism, which would therefore continue and possibly grow in numbers or intensity.

My view is that we do need to reset our relationship with EU. I would rather achieve that and be in fully (Euro, Shengen etc). If that isn't an option then a No Deal scenario is probably best in the long term.

If we revoke, then the question of Scottish independence won't go away, so there will be other opportunities to reset our relationship with the EU in a positive direction.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

OllyT said:

So dull.

You have commented many more times than that and it is only just past midday in your foreign EU paradise.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

One of the challenges that Remain has always had to deal with is that the world does not operate in black and white. Understandably, many people think that it should and wish that it did, so are minded to give time and votes to those who say that it does. Unfortunately, though, it never, ever works.

This does not remotely explain why Remainers, most especially elite Remainers - who never cease to tell us how clever they are, and how they are MUCH cleverer than the awful, chavvy, smelly, racist old Leavers - have turned out to be so utterly shit at politics.

First, they lost an unloseable referendum, now they are losing the Brexit endgame, outsmarted by Boris and Cummings, two people they loudly dismiss as clowns.

The only answer is that Remainers are not remotely as smart as they like to think. They only appear smarter because life has favoured them, and they have prospered. Hence their Remain tendencies. They like the status quo ante.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That, like Boris, has not aged well...

"The Tories are a pragmatic, moderately Eurosceptic party, and he must tolerate that..."

• Options

I think the smarter observers have realised just how much of a disaster ongoing negotiations with the EU post Brexit will be for Labour.

Fighting against your own country when it comes to post exit negotiations is something quite different.

Or,

If we’re still negotiating with the EU when the election after next is called everything the Tories have said will be exposed as a lie.

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, *sighs*.

I bet you're a Polyperchon fan.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    Dura_Ace said:
    That is an appalling response by JRM. What did the Dr say back?

@AlistairM has been right to raise this question.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854

Hence why we need rid of these parasites who will vote for self rather than the mugs that voted for them. Rotten to the core.
  • Options
    Dear Points of View

Boris is Ace, Fab, Brill...
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Yes, this is clearly late-stage. The climacteric approaches. The strings build towards the crescendo. In the next two months - maybe the next week - we will know whether we are headed for Deal, No Deal, Referendum or Revoke.

Sure, Brexit will rumble on after this, but it will be like a thumping, dwindling, post coital heartbeat. We will have a cigarette, maybe some pillow talk with Brussels. Then we will rise and get on with the day.
    I think your writing style is better suited to airport porn than to serious analysis. Read the Ivan Rogers piece. He is short on ejaculation metaphors but long on facts, analysis and knowing his arse from a hole in the ground. You could learn a lot from him.
  • Options
    I don't have time to wait for the long term.

Opposition to Johnson consoling itself that he's doing long-term damage to the Tory brand is an exercise in self-delusion.

If you can't work out what you need to do now to win over the voters you have a problem. There's no guarantee that time will solve that problem for you.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

But as we keep repeating, without an agreement, there is no pulling out cleanly.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Full marks to the Remainers for being the shouty and arrogant side.

Continually declaring you have a much larger brain that the other lot is a sure way to win support. Carry on as you are, please. Much appreciated by we Leavers.
  • Options

Or,

If we’re still negotiating with the EU when the election after next is called everything the Tories have said will be exposed as a lie.

Without a deal we will be negotiating with the EU for the next 50 years...
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

On topic, there are things I agree with in this article and things I don't.

Is Britain really more urban than the 70s and 80s? The population has increased, sure, but mostly through housebuilding outside the big cities. The rural/suburban to urban move is an oversimplification and reflects the youth only, who then move out again.

One big difference in terms of urban and suburban, is that in the 70s and 80s the big city centres were not seen as attractive places to live. Not all but most middle class adults wanted to live somewhere where they could easily reach the city centre for non-food shopping and their monthly entertainment but did not want to live in the rundown city centre accommodation, where it was difficult to be an owner occupier, poor parking and the threat of crime was a a bit too present. It was also socially acceptable (if not legal) to drive into town and have three pints before driving back home. Many people aspired to living on the edge of the city not near the centre.

Now much of the "desirable" accommodation is in the city centre, both rental and owner occupied. The cities have put a lot of money into rejuvinating the city centres and made them tourist friendly. The benefits of having the city entertainment on your doorstep is now seen as a big plus, and frankly many people would rather not to have to drive to work and back every day and then drive to shops or the pub and back most days.

Of course many middle class people do still move to suburbia when they start a family, but the attractions of living in a city centre are very different from 40 years ago.
This discussion has been closed.