Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories seem determined to blow up their own party

Comments

• isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

The effect on business that tariffs will make is the 2019 version of the effect on low skilled workers that mass immigration from A8 countries will make (2004). Difference being the this one is backed by the poor not the wealthy, who didn't give the former a moments thought, and when the poor complained, they called them racist (while pocketing the profit)

Again in English?
    The referendum was a vote on the UK's 21st Century mass immigration policy. Richer people saw it as a good thing as they benefited from a never ending supply of cheap labour, whilst their neighbourhood's remained the same. Poor people saw it as a bad thing as it meant increased competition for job, wages, and state services whilst their neighbourhood's changed completely.

Leave winning meant that richer people face the same pressure on their ability to earn a living as those at the lower end of the scale have been since 2004.
    This is just nonsense. All the architects of Brexit are very rich and our Pensioners are on the whole, as a generation, wealthy.

This was racism and xenophobia. Nothing else.
    All happily encouraged by our foreign-owned press.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Noo said:

Patriots, every single one of them.

Though Boris Johnson expelling Churchill's Grandson from the Tory party will be horrible optics.
    I hate to be the one to point this out, but "horrible optics" is largely a thing of the past. We are in an attention-driven political system now. Attention is everything, and ideology and decency are a poor silver and bronze.
    Dead cats used to be a distraction against bad news cycles, but now they are the path to power.
    Noo said:

Though Boris Johnson expelling Churchill's Grandson from the Tory party will be horrible optics.
    I hate to be the one to point this out, but "horrible optics" is largely a thing of the past. We are in an attention-driven political system now. Attention is everything, and ideology and decency are a poor silver and bronze.
    Dead cats used to be a distraction against bad news cycles, but now they are the path to power.
    Importing PR strategy from a two party system USA, will have counterproductive results in a multi-party country. Tactical voting will be turbo charged against the Tories...
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    edited September 2019

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:
    It has to come one way or another but I do not expect a Boris majority government. Indeed possibly just as deadlocked
    The polls point to a good Tory majority. BUT this is a wholly unprecedented and unpredictable election IF IT HAPPENS ( I’m not convinced)

But let’s say Boris wins his maj. Before Brexit. What then? He will presumably push through a deal of some kind. With a small extension.
    I expect a SNP whitewash, strong lib dem gains in London and the South, big conservatives gains in leave areas with labour caught in a pincer movement that sees them losing seats to the SNP, conservatives and lib dems but at the same time many conservative loses.

Result a conservative minority government and more deadlock
    Hmm. My wild guess is that BXP will be really squished and Boris will get a small but useful majority. 25-50?
    A GE will see more airtime for both Farage and Swinson. Assuming none of them self-immolate on the altar of bum sex then I expect their parties to benefit accordingly.
    Is Self-Immolate on the Altar of Bum Sex a track off the new Morrissey album?
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

The effect on business that tariffs will make is the 2019 version of the effect on low skilled workers that mass immigration from A8 countries will make (2004). Difference being the this one is backed by the poor not the wealthy, who didn't give the former a moments thought, and when the poor complained, they called them racist (while pocketing the profit)

Again in English?
    The referendum was a vote on the UK's 21st Century mass immigration policy. Richer people saw it as a good thing as they benefited from a never ending supply of cheap labour, whilst their neighbourhood's remained the same. Poor people saw it as a bad thing as it meant increased competition for job, wages, and state services whilst their neighbourhood's changed completely.

Leave winning meant that richer people face the same pressure on their ability to earn a living as those at the lower end of the scale have been since 2004.
    This is just nonsense. All the architects of Brexit are very rich and our Pensioners are on the whole, as a generation, wealthy.

It’s not racist to think “I’d rather not have 10,000 Roma suddenly move to my poor northern suburb, certainly not without asking me first.”

Nor is it xenophobia.

It is normal. It is human nature.
  • NooNoo Posts: 2,380

Noo said:

isam said:

You sound like a communist
    Is that supposed to be pejorative or congratulatory.
    Well, I don't think communism is a good idea, but I respect isam's right to hold whatever views they like.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    edited September 2019
    He's there. You need to click on it to see the full list.
  • Breaking on Sky

EU commission has just said it would be entirely unreasonable for mps to try to bind the hands of the Prime Minister

Now that is surprising

They want Britain to speak with a united voice, otherwise their task is impossible. The trouble is that we are deeply split.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    If 20 people are prepared to vote against, I wonder what the abstentions might be .
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    edited September 2019

isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

Again in English?

Interesting you mention architecture. Remainers are behaving just like those arrogant arses who put up a bloody huge building without planning permission. Now they have been found out by the authorities, have been told to dismantle their creation. They've tried to string it along for three years.

"But you can't do that! We've built a THING OF BEAUTY!"

As they form a human chain around the great ediface, their pleas to the driver of the bulldozer are falling on deaf ears.

• ChrisChris Posts: 11,010
    Byronic said:

isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

Again in English?

It’s not racist to think “I’d rather not have 10,000 Roma suddenly move to my poor northern suburb, certainly not without asking me first.”

Nor is it xenophobia.

Put "Jews" into that sentence and see how it looks.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,719
    Byronic said:

isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

Again in English?

Nor is it xenophobia.

Other than when Priti Patel's family etc came, has there ever been a time when 10,000 people all came at once?

Not that I had a problem with that, I hasten to add.
  • I'd always wished TMay had the strength to take the whip away from the worst of the extreme headbangers, now they are in charge... the moderates are being driven out.

If only there had been any such precedent with Labour to warn of such events...

Oh.

Indeed, looks like our New Socially Liberal, Fiscally Dry Tory not obsessed with the gays, immigration, and Europe party is about to get an influx of members.

PS - Disappointed with the result against The Woolwich or are you happy?
    There's never been a better time for such a party...

On balance, leaving City and Arse undefeated whilst in 'crisis' isn't that bad.... the Newcastle performance was as abysmal as I've seen under Poch.... but the first 60 mins vs Villa were bad too.... Keep and start Christian and we finish TOP 4.
  • He's there. You need to click on it to see the full list.
    That list looks to be missing some names. Huw Merriman for starters.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,719

I'd always wished TMay had the strength to take the whip away from the worst of the extreme headbangers, now they are in charge... the moderates are being driven out.

If only there had been any such precedent with Labour to warn of such events...

Oh.

Indeed, looks like our New Socially Liberal, Fiscally Dry Tory not obsessed with the gays, immigration, and Europe party is about to get an influx of members.

PS - Disappointed with the result against The Woolwich or are you happy?
    There's never been a better time for such a party...

On balance, leaving City and Arse undefeated whilst in 'crisis' isn't that bad.... the Newcastle performance was as abysmal as I've seen under Poch.... but the first 60 mins vs Villa were bad too.... Keep and start Christian and we finish TOP 4.
    I'm glad I stopped watching Southend a few years ago. Could be very depressing now.
  • Breaking on Sky

EU commission has just said it would be entirely unreasonable for mps to try to bind the hands of the Prime Minister

Now that is surprising

They want Britain to speak with a united voice, otherwise their task is impossible. The trouble is that we are deeply split.
    I suspect a criticism that could be levelled at the EU is that they haven't caught up with just how deeply split we are.
  • isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

Again in English?

Interesting you mention architecture. Remainers are behaving just like those arrogant arses who put up a bloody huge building without planning permission. Now they have been found out by the authorities, have been told to dismantle their creation. They've tried to string it along for three years.

As they form a human chain around the great ediface, their pleas to the driver of the bulldozer are falling on deaf ears.

This actually happened (kind of) in Clerkenwell.

Shit-hot architect Amin Taha built a very interesting office block and home for himself on Clerkenwell Close. But somehow the council failed to approve the (innovative) cladding, and requested the whole thing come down.

The council has relented.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Disgusting given ERG 'loyalty' in the past few years.

Boris Johnson should be removed from office. The only option MPs can stop No Deal with and ensure A50 extension.
    Easy to say, not so easy to do without a GE
    Its a sorry state of affairs! Difficult to predict how any of this pans out...
  • Philip Lee?

Perhaps Pesto has them down as Liberal Democrats already (or did I miss something?)
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Thanks. The full list is quite impressive. I have a feeling that being on the list might end their careers even if they don't actually do anything.
    Chris said:

Byronic said:

isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

Again in English?

Nor is it xenophobia.

It looks ludicrous. Because this is a ludicrous comparison.

Incidentally, exactly the same applies in reverse. Imagine you live in a humble but quiet Muslim suburb in Turkey. Then 10,000 poor, sweary, beer-swilling Brits decide to suddenly move there, and open pubs?

The Turks would obviously complain. And their complaints would be justified.

Breaking on Sky

Now that is surprising

They are just terrified it might give the European Parliament ideas!
  • Chris said:

Byronic said:

isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

Again in English?

Nor is it xenophobia.

Byronic is actually right.

I would not particularly welcome 10,000 of any sort into my ward. They could be 10,000 Australians or 10,000 Jews or 10,000 Women’s Instituters.

People don’t like cultural change. Not rapid cultural change, anyway.

I don’t think that’s racist, particularly.

isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

Again in English?

Why are Leavers threatening to bulldoze the whole town?
  • Philip Lee?

Perhaps Pesto has them down as Liberal Democrats already (or did I miss something?)
    When are Philip Lee and Soubry’s lot going to stop fucking about and join the Lib Dems?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2019
    In 2004 the government predicted 13,000 Eastern Europeans would move to the UK and in fact more than a million did so. It probably would have been better if they hadn't made any predictions.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010
    Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

Again in English?

Nor is it xenophobia.

It's not a comparison. It's a simple demonstration of how racist your statement was.

Tell me, why did you feel the need to specify "Roma," if you just meant "anyone"? Because you were trying to play on racial prejudice against Roma, of course.
    I'd have thought that some of the Scottish MPs should also be on it.

(I'm not absolutely sure about Huw. He's very loyal and quite cautious, and his constituency is very Leavey, which I think will influence him a lot. I know him reasonably well although I haven't spoken to him recently.)
  • FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Philip Lee?

Add Jonathan Djanogly
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

Again in English?

So what you are doing is defining an outgroup (leave voters) and making blanket and absurd prejudiced statements against it. And that makes you no better than, say, a homophobe or racist yourself.

Your points are not terribly cogent, either. I don't understand the pensioners one at all, and what bearing does the wealth of the "architects" of brexit have on the way the vote went?

Are you an obligate user of social housing? If not what do you know about the mindset of people who are? I can rather easily imagine that if there isn't enough housing to go round people feel that it's a bit stupid importing more people to lengthen the queue. Which is not a racist point.

Chris said:

Byronic said:

isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

Again in English?

Nor is it xenophobia.

Byronic is actually right.

I would not particularly welcome 10,000 of any sort into my ward. They could be 10,000 Australians or 10,000 Jews or 10,000 Women’s Instituters.

People don’t like cultural change. Not rapid cultural change, anyway.

I don’t think that’s racist, particularly.
    Moreover, the attempt to close down any complaints about cultural change, with the boo-word of ‘racist’, is one very big reason for the Brexit vote.

If you won’t let people express reasonable dissatisfaction in public, they will do it in private, in the voting booth.

isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

Again in English?

This actually happened (kind of) in Clerkenwell.

Shit-hot architect Amin Taha built a very interesting office block and home for himself on Clerkenwell Close. But somehow the council failed to approve the (innovative) cladding, and requested the whole thing come down.

The council has relented.
    And when that innovative cladding burns down a la Grefell Tower, there will be some interesting questions to answer.....

their pleas to the driver of the bulldozer are falling on deaf ears.

Why is the bulldozer driver is threatening to level the whole street?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    Jonathan said:

If 20 people are prepared to vote against, I wonder what the abstentions might be .

Hence, wouldn't be surprised to see a move for a GE today. Parliament can't meet, cos the dirty secret is Boris doesn't have a majority.
  • The only thing I could disagree with this article on is it's title. It uses the present tense, when the past tense would be accurate, for they have already achieved that end. Conservative Party RIP. May its successor, CINO be recognised for what it is.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

As Remainers all have an 'ology' in 'Expressive Dance', they'll know everything about science. Chlorine is a nasty chemical and sodium is a nasty metal, That's why salt is so dangerous.

My chemistry teacher was always throwing sodium chloride at me. With the benefit of hindsight it was a salt.

(I'm not absolutely sure about Huw. He's very loyal and quite cautious, and his constituency is very Leavey, which I think will influence him a lot. I know him reasonably well although I haven't spoken to him recently.)
    It would be quite a climbdown from this:

https://twitter.com/huwmerriman/status/1168287556712185858?s=21

I expect the Scots will act more or less en masse whatever they do.
    Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

Again in English?

Nor is it xenophobia.

Incidentally, exactly the same applies in reverse. Imagine you live in a humble but quiet Muslim suburb in Turkey. Then 10,000 poor, sweary, beer-swilling Brits decide to suddenly move there, and open pubs?

Is that an actual plan? It would be one way of getting the Brexit vote down.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Jonathan said:

We need a second referendum to undo the damage of a very poorly designed first question. Whilst deceptively simple it failed in one key respect. Other less catastrophic referenda have pitched the status quo vs a clearly defined new end state. By failing to do that, the 2016 referendum created this mess.

We need to pitch the possible end states against one another, including an option to remain partly to ensure full participation, but also to recognise the vagueness of the first question. Something has to win now and a vote is the fairest way to do it IMO. There will be pain and outrage with any outcome. This is the least bad outcome.

Far chance of course whilst this government is bent on forcing its will through all possible parliamentary tactics and abuse of positional power.

Any option to remain will be seen as a “do-over”

Do you really believe Leave would ever have been given another chance had the vote gone the other way?
  • The only thing I could disagree with this article on is it's title. It uses the present tense, when the past tense would be accurate, for they have already achieved that end. Conservative Party RIP. May its successor, CINO be recognised for what it is.

Bluekip.
  • dr_spyn said:
    Boris will read a list of those he's identified as traitors and, one by one, they will be led away in tears.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731

isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

Again in English?

Your blinkered attitude explains perfectly why Leave did so well
    Chris said:

Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

Again in English?

Nor is it xenophobia.

It's not a comparison. It's a simple demonstration of how racist your statement was.

Tell me, why did you feel the need to specify "Roma," if you just meant "anyone"? Because you were trying to play on racial prejudice against Roma, of course.
    I chose Roma because Roma come:

1. From other parts of the EU, and

2. Unlike almost all other EU migrants, they have a large number of troubling social problems that come with them: extremely low literacy levels, low education, etc.

It’s quite likely these problems stem, at least in part, from the grievous discrimination Roma face, back home, in Bulgaria and Romania etc. But denying they exist, and denying they cause dismay in their new communities, is a futile exercise. As one might expect from a crazed Remainer.

I could be wrong but I think Paul Masterton is the only SCon MP who might conceivably be added to the list, I'd assume the rest will be keeping their heads down in the current state of flux for their sub branch.

Kirstene Hair might put her name on the list by accident, mind.

• Scott_P said:
    Do Scots ever get sick of hearing that every single possible thing are grounds for, or related to, Scottish Independence?
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Startling claim in Katy Balls’ piece for the Guardian:

“That idea is so toxic to some would-be rebels that talks are under way for a group of about 20 MPs to form a breakout party and stand as independent Conservatives. Other Tory MPs have lost the will to fight and are considering simply not seeking re-election.”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/01/tories-no-deal-choose-career-conscience

I doubt you’d be allowed to register as “independent conservatives”.
    Why ?
    You need to get them approved by the Electoral Commission. I don’t know the rules but they might judge a party running under that name is a spoiler
    Noo said:

isam said:

You sound like a communist
    What does that matter?
    dr_spyn said:
    "I've spoken to the Leader of the Opposition. We're agreed we're calling a General Election tomorrow, for the 18th October. As there won't have been a vote for some of you to rebel on, it will be up to your consciences - and your local associations - as to whether you stand again as candidates."
    Chris said:

Byronic said:

isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

Again in English?

Nor is it xenophobia.

It’s not racist to think “I’d rather not have 10,000 Roma suddenly move to my poor northern suburb, certainly not without asking Jews first.”

They don't run everything you know
  • General election this year has shortened a lot today to 1.26
  • surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    dr_spyn said:
    General Election after the votes tomorrow.
  • nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

Scott_P said:
    Do Scots ever get sick of hearing that every single possible thing are grounds for, or related to, Scottish Independence?
    Apperently not since they keep voting SNP
  • Scott_P said:
    Yes we thought it had been put to bed until brexit turned up.
    Scott_P said:
    This is important.
    Boris goes chasing a mandate for X, he ends up handing a mandate for Y to the SNP.
    Odds are pretty good the SNP's vote share in Scotland will exceed the Conservative vote share in the UK. Scottish unionists are about to be cut adrift.
  • We all know a general election is coming...but has anybody told brenda yet?
    Charles said:

Jonathan said:

We need a second referendum to undo the damage of a very poorly designed first question. Whilst deceptively simple it failed in one key respect. Other less catastrophic referenda have pitched the status quo vs a clearly defined new end state. By failing to do that, the 2016 referendum created this mess.

We need to pitch the possible end states against one another, including an option to remain partly to ensure full participation, but also to recognise the vagueness of the first question. Something has to win now and a vote is the fairest way to do it IMO. There will be pain and outrage with any outcome. This is the least bad outcome.

Far chance of course whilst this government is bent on forcing its will through all possible parliamentary tactics and abuse of positional power.

Any option to remain will be seen as a “do-over”

Do you really believe Leave would ever have been given another chance had the vote gone the other way?
    Who knows? A parallel universe we will never know about. Events may have played out like they did in Scotland with the losing side in the ascendent.

Closer to home. There is no outcome now (thanks to the flawed design of the 2016 vote and everything that has happened since) that will please everyone. We need the least worst option.

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2019
    dr_spyn said:
    Seems a bit OTT way of introducing his new dog.
  • BBC News - Brexit: No 10 'considering' election amid no-deal battle with MPs
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49549960
    edited September 2019

Scott_P said:
    Probably slightly less sick than of hearing everything being related to Brexit, with generally much more of the latter than the former beating down the doors to our eardrums.

Charles said:

One further point. Boris Johnson can threaten anti-no dealers with expulsion. But once they're gone, they're gone. They won't be coming back, they'll be looking for a new home (almost certainly the Lib Dems in the long term).

If (which I acknowledge is Spartan) you assume that post Brexit the Tories will adopt a more traditional posture then they will come back over time (eg Emma Nicholson is a Tory peer).

What has interested me in the conversations I’ve had is the number of donors and supporters who don’t like Boris one bit and yet are backing him because there needs to be resolution
    To be fair Charles, you’re now talking to a rump of disaster capitalists, inbred aristocrats and crypto-fascists.
    One of them is my father. For the avoidance of doubt he is none of those

I know you are upset and frustrated. But try not to lash out.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,395

It would be quite a climbdown from this:

https://twitter.com/huwmerriman/status/1168287556712185858?s=21

I expect the Scots will act more or less en masse whatever they do.
    Be very surprised if any of the Scots Tory MPs peeled off. Rejecting Brexit is tantamount to giving SNP go-ahead to another IndyRef. NE ones are, to some extent, protected by relatively high Brexit vote. Keenest Remainer is Paul Masterton but no indication that he is jumping ship so far as I am aware.
  • dr_spyn said:
    He’s planning a massacre in the garden, like the Night of the Long Knives scene in Cabaret.
  • Jeremy Corbyn says the UK "needs" a general election, despite warnings from Tony Blair that such a vote would be "an elephant trap" for Labour.

Its coming....

dr_spyn said:
    Boris will read a list of those he's identified as traitors and, one by one, they will be led away in tears.
    "I have here a warrant for the arrest of five members of this party"......

Charles said:

One further point. Boris Johnson can threaten anti-no dealers with expulsion. But once they're gone, they're gone. They won't be coming back, they'll be looking for a new home (almost certainly the Lib Dems in the long term).

If (which I acknowledge is Spartan) you assume that post Brexit the Tories will adopt a more traditional posture then they will come back over time (eg Emma Nicholson is a Tory peer).

What has interested me in the conversations I’ve had is the number of donors and supporters who don’t like Boris one bit and yet are backing him because there needs to be resolution
    That is one heck of an assumption. If you were one of the hard-right un-conservative Conservatives such as JRM or Bone, then why would you lose this chance to remodel the country in line with your backwards views?

As with Johnson (and Corbyn for that matter), this isn't really about Brexit. It's about getting power.
    If you look at what Boris has actually done in the past he’s a fairly liberal conservative. He just believes we need to deliver Brexit.

I’m sure he’d rather a deal but if that’s not possible on acceptable terms then so be it
  • After team boris has clearly leaked to laura K, if they dont go for it, it will be like brown non-election all over again.

Jeremy Corbyn says the UK "needs" a general election, despite warnings from Tony Blair that such a vote would be "an elephant trap" for Labour.

Its coming....

A GE would be good for all of us. I expect Boris to win, and then Remainers will have to shut up, finally. We will all have spoken.

And if Swinson wins, then, fair enough, let’s revoke and rejoin.

And if Corbyn wins we emigrate.

• Scott_P said:
    I wonder if the SNP could put in their manifesto that in the event of No Deal, they would seek independence immediately.

dr_spyn said:
    Seems a bit OTT way of introducing his new dog.
    Boris will be Boris.
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Parliament has rejected all other options

No deal is what remains

Parliament rejected No Deal

Revoke is what remains
    The only option they voted for (albeit barely) was the WA minus the backstop. With Article 50 they legislated for the possibility of no deal. They need to pass a law to prevent that
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

After team boris has clearly leaked to laura K, if they dont go for it, it will be like brown non-election all over again.

Isn't that a sacking offence? Has anyone told Dominic?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2019
    Those who would like a second referendum should probably accept that it's very unlikely to happen, and that a general election is the closest thing they're going to get. (It's up to them to arrange candidates in constituencies so their vote isn't split).
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    More highland games, heading the javelin and catching the shot. https://twitter.com/iainjwatson/status/1168493201688150017
    edited September 2019

dr_spyn said:
    Belts and/or braces removed so they humiliatingly have to hold their trousers up as they shuffle off to the piano wires and meat hooks.
    WatO leading with general election speculation.
  • A general election before Brexit seems like a huge strategic mistake by Boris.

Absolutely anything could happen once people turn their attention to it (the opinion polls now mean very little).
  • Of course this could all lead to a Gordon Brown the bottler moment...
    AndyJS said:

Those who would like a second referendum should probably accept that it's very unlikely to happen, and that a general election is the closest thing they're going to get. (It's up to them to arrange candidates in constituencies so their vote isn't split).

Yes. Exactly. This is as close to a 2nd referendum as is possible. Each party has a fairly explicit and different position on Brexit. So. Place your bets, gentlemen.
    The plan is that northern Brexit supporters who generally vote Labour will turn out for Boris to make sure we leave?

It might work. But if, and only if, it doesn't get out that that is the plan.
  • Full disclosure: I am a layer of a GE this year.

A general election before Brexit seems like a huge strategic mistake by Boris.

Absolutely anything could happen once people turn their attention to it (the opinion polls now mean very little).

Did he have much choice? He must have looked at the numbers and thought: I’m going to lose a VONC
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,395
    In all of this, you have to remember that for an awful lot of people, certainly mainstream Tories, the following holds:

1) We will never get a decent deal from EU unless we are prepared to leave without a deal.

2) "No deal is better than a bad deal" - T May, and so far as I am aware, no-one from her cabinet dissented, incl Hammond etc, made a fuss about that at the time.

This is why, however things play out, Boris is on fairly firm ground so far as his Party is concerned. He is secure in the leadership even if the GE goes awry.
  • TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

isam said:

Noo said:

isam said:

Again in English?

Nor is it xenophobia.

Isn't that pretty much every coastal town in Spain, Greece and Turkey?
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Eating chicken chlorinated causes gonorrhoea.

All of PB wishes you a speedy recovery ....
  • Byronic said:

Did he have much choice? He must have looked at the numbers and thought: I’m going to lose a VONC
    I thought his plan was to stall Parliament for the next 10-12 days until prorogation.
  • Of course this could all lead to a Gordon Brown the bottler moment...

My bank account likes this.

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

eristdoof said:

I think a lot is going to develop this week. There are a lot of "known unknowns" and maybe a couple of "unknown unknowns" which will reveal themselves before next Monday. While lots of posters here (including me) like to hypothecate over the different scenarios, I can see that many posts are going to look very outdated very quickly.

I agree and in Scotland it is even more complex. I cannot see the Scottish courts allowing Boris to run roughshod over the Scottish parliament. This will create a scenario where there is almost no way to implement no deal in Scotland. The country is almost fully united in not agreeing with the English Tory plan. Even the Scottish tories.

Some Scottish and N Irish backstop is my initial thought as where we are heading but who knows
    It will be implemented by matter of treaty (Scotland will not be a member of the EU)

If the SP wishes to not pass any necessary laws that is a dereliction of their duty
    Time the Treaty of Union was revoked, then we do not need to worry about Dictators laws from Westminster
    This is the issue dereliction of what duty? The Scots have not voted for Brexit and made it clear they are opposed to no deal. The English Tories are prepared to ignore Parliament but expect the Scots to respect their rules. I rarely agree with Malcolm but in this case is he is right. The Scots can just say and will say no.

Sure, they can put their fingers in their ears

But when they turn up to the ports to export stuff and they don’t have the right paperwork...
    Oh, that is alright then. Another "stuff you" from one of the increasingly small minority of people that are still trying to convince themselves self harm was a good idea.
    You misunderstand.

It’s simply that this is the current policy. If it is implemented then it will be a fact. Once it is a fact then ignoring it won’t make things better,

There’s no “stuff you”
    Just noticed Corbyn saying ‘last chance’ in a vaguely northern accent... is this how he usually speaks? Southerners pronounce it ‘larst charnce’ rather than shortened vowels
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    @isam i’m sorry you don’t like hearing the truth.

With the opposition vote split 50:50 between the LDs and Lab, the back drop is similar to 1983.

If I were a Tory leader, with a sensible Brexit policy, I might find that hard to resist.

Byronic said:

I thought his plan was to stall Parliament for the next 10-12 days until prorogation.
    Size of,Tory rebellion frightened him?

Anyway the BBC is reporting that tomorrow’s vote is being seen as a VONC by HMG. If Boris loses, it’s a GE
  • Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Anyway the BBC is reporting that tomorrow’s vote is being seen as a VONC by HMG. If Boris loses, it’s a GE
    That makes no sense. There are fixed routes for calling an election and that isn’t one.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Charles said:

Charles said:

To be fair Charles, you’re now talking to a rump of disaster capitalists, inbred aristocrats and crypto-fascists.
    One of them is my father. For the avoidance of doubt he is none of those

I know you are upset and frustrated. But try not to lash out.
    Whatever else he is, he is using above average wealth to purchase above average political clout, which is not in many peoples view a great thing to do, whether rich toff/tory or union boss/lab and whether here or in the USA or anywhere else. It is hard to see how you reconcile stealth bragging about his conduct with the "We must honour the result because democraceeeeee" line of argument.

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

That makes no sense. There are fixed routes for calling an election and that isn’t one.
    Boris and Corbyn have had a little chat.....
  • ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    edited September 2019
    Boris is in a bind in a pre brexit election, because if he says the ploy is to get a deal but be ready for no deal, then Farage has just been handed his campaign slogan "Boris sellout, vote BXP to ensure a true brexit isn't forgotten about". If Boris comes out explicitly for no deal then he will face endless questioning about it really means, and he will scare off many mainstream tory voters.
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

What “leave” meant was very very clear

It meant leave.

Under Article 50 the U.K. and the EU had 2 years to agree a new set of arrangements

They failed

So we leave without a new set of arrangements

(And please don’t attack me personally. Playing the man not the ball is never pleasant)

I have a lot of sympathy for this view. We voted to leave we haven't left. That surely can't be right. There was no "how to" on the ballot paper, as we all know and bemoan so leaving with no deal is perfectly legitimate.

However, the 2017 GE changed more than the electoral maths. As we saw in 2015, promises made in a manifesto become null when there is not the mandate, via overall majority, to implement them. Everything is up in the air. Hence the Cons can perfectly well say we are now going to leave with no deal and that would indeed be fulfilling their obligation to govern without an OE (of course they have plenty of those also).

But this whole XX% of MPs voted to leave by supporting their 2017 manifesto is by the same token not true. Those manifestos are now chip paper, rendered irrelevant by events, and each MP is legitimately allowed to decide what they believe in individually or as a group and if that is EUref2, revoke, GE, that is perfectly legitimate.
    Manifestos have a different status - we know they are a programme for government and not binding

The difference with the referendum is the people were asked. And gave an instruction.

Our politicians have really, truly, colossally, fucked everything up.

But this needs resolution. And the voters instruction was clear. I only hope that the voters are fierce in their judgement on any MPs who stand again
This discussion has been closed.