Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By George! Will BJ flop or will he last a long time?

Comments

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

We are simply in uncharted territory, no country ever having done anything remotely similar. It could go OK or it could be a disaster or at any point in between, depending on whcih point in time you’re looking at

So not really any basis for saying, as you did, that it would be "nothing like as bad as feared"?

Obviously I don't know either, but based on the evidence of relatively minor causes producing quite major disruption, I find it plausible that it could be complete chaos.
    No basis at all. I’m not being Pollyanna-ish. Personally I fear that it could be quite bad. But the reason for saying what I did is that the government will be desperate to make the first few days look ok until press interest dies down so that they can run a “Project Fear overdone (again) story”.

My concern is more for what happens in the days, weeks, months afterwards. I gave an example over the weekend of one particular example in my industry.

But you may very well be right and it could be worse. We are in butterfly-chaos territory here, aren’t we? Certainly, doctors and food retailers are concerned and I’d trust what they say more than the government.
    Yes. I was told here yesterday to "grow up" for suggesting that there could be food shortages. But apparently after Michael Gove claimed “there will be no shortages of fresh food,” the British Retail Consortium issued a statement saying they had told ministers repeatedly that that wasn't true.

If ministers are lying to us about the potential for food shortages as a result of their policies, I think people should be very concerned.

We are still nearly two months away from a No Deal Brexit. I think it would be entirely prudent for people to build up some reserves of food during that period. Yet Matt Hancock publicly told people they shouldn't do so. I think that is the height of irreponsibility. If people die as a result of this reckless policy, I think he and others should be held to account.
    I quite agree. I am building up my reserves.

We do not have a responsible grown up government.

I felt that Britain had quite a grown up thoughtful political culture, and it was one reason I was - and to a certain extent still am - quite sceptical about the EU project. (Note: IMO there is a difference between being Eurosceptic and a Brexiteer.) But the last few years have been quite an eye opener. The extent of the frivolousness and a fundamental lack of seriousness in our politicians, with a few rare exceptions, has been shocking.
    You mean we are more European than you thought.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    I'm sure Boris and Cummings will run a Con candidate against him.

Were you up for Bercow? :D
    I think Bercow would win! A reflection of the tory route. People dont want this shit!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Breaching a long held convention would be just the thing that one should expect from the Conservative In Name Only Party. I wonder what they will do if the monarchy becomes inconvenient, or the House of Lords?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Breaching a long held convention would be just the thing that one should expect from the Conservative In Name Only Party. I wonder what they will do if the monarchy becomes inconvenient, or the House of Lords?
    Bercow started it. ;)
  • Options
    Andrew said:

TBF, "dilute German Scout piss" is probably preferable to many cheap wines ...

Probably higher alcohol content than most American beers too.
    The USA brews some very fine real ales, particularly in New York. Many of our own micro-breweries now produce American Pale Ale, and very good it is too!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Someone ought to put together one of those internet gifs featuring Johnson and Cummings playing pipes while Corbyn dances around in front of them.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Chris said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Nigel might have played a blinder here. Boris is now surely completely cornered and has to go with full-on No Deal. That might buy him some short-term reprieve, but the long-term prospects will be ghastly.
    It's crazy to assume that embracing No Deal will win him the election.
    Because, of course, everything's been really sane so far.
    Don't get me wrong. Nobody knows what will happen.

But embracing No Deal is as high-risk a strategy as anyone can imagine.

It could lead to complete disaster.
    He does not need to embrace No Deal. He just needs to rule out the backstop. Then he gets BXP support through an election. Post-election he can figure out some wheeze with the EU that rules out a backstop and replaces it with a "totally not the backstop" alternative. Farage can cry, but what else can he do at that point?
  • Options
  • Options
    Relax, folks. There will not be a snap election.

Nothing ever happens when Mike is away.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Bercow started it. ;)
    There you go. Another Conservative!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Tabman said:

Pulpstar said:

Hah. Nothing probably tempted him more than Blair railing against the idea on the radio this morning.

Quite. Does Blair have any self-awareness?
    Perhaps it was reverse psychology. Blair wants an election to purge Labour and/or complete the realignmnet, so says to Corbyn, under no circumstance should we have an election. Corbyn duly complies by asking for one as he does the opposite of what Blair wants.
    To be fair to Blair if he set up a Blair party i would vote for iti!
    and hed be straight off the States to give Trump a BJ and invade Iran
  • Options
    You think there won't be intimate searches?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    edited September 2019
    AndyJS said:

Cummings probably got this one right, and was depending on it.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1168544562954067970

This just goes to show that FTPA was, is and remains and complete and utter waste of time in practice (including all the hours and hours devoted to debating it on PB) because the Opposition will ALWAYS agree to a general election in any and all circumstances as its the only way they can ever go from Opposition to power.

For the love of god can the next Parliament just get rid of it already. :D
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

It's not that long held. For example, Labour and Liberal both ran against Selwyn Lloyd in 1974
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,710

Tabman said:

Pulpstar said:

Hah. Nothing probably tempted him more than Blair railing against the idea on the radio this morning.

Perhaps it was reverse psychology. Blair wants an election to purge Labour and/or complete the realignmnet, so says to Corbyn, under no circumstance should we have an election. Corbyn duly complies by asking for one as he does the opposite of what Blair wants.
    ...although to be fair, Boris will do that too.

Unasked.
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Bercow started it. ;)
    Oh, that's OK then!
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    As i say, I will follow the polls carefully and tactically vote against the tories and encourage people to not vote ory in seberal ways...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,953
    Morning all.

I think Boris Johnson's plan, through all of this, has been to get an election without being accused of being opportunistic about it. His goal is to unite the Brexit vote, by promising to go No Deal if necessary, and to use this to secure a working majority. With said majority, he hopes to secure something that looks like the WA, only with (perhaps) an extended Implementation period or something else that renders the backstop a non-issue.

It may very well work, but there are a number of issues:

1. The Brexit Party are not complete idiots. They see Boris posturing about No Deal, but know he doesn't really want No Deal. Therefore, they are not likely to stand aside. It may be that they can be kept to under 10%, in which case, Boris's bet paid off. But if Nigel Farage gets traction and they end up in the mid-teens, then Mr Johnson will not look so smart.

2. How much tactical voting will there be? And how much is th Labour vote tribal? Ultimately, success for Boris Johnson happens if he takes 20-30 Labour Leave seats, while only losing a dozen to the LibDems and SNP. (On which note, the House of Commons will be poorer for the loss of Zac Goldsmith.) The problem is if Remainers in Don Valley decide to hold their nose and vote Labour rather than split the non-Tory vote. Mr Johnson is fortunate indeed that his opponent is Jeremy Corbyn, but it may not be enough.

3. The true danger for Mr Johnson would be if Ms Swinson turned out to be a brilliant media performer, and the LDs repeated their Euro election result. I don't think this is likely, but elections are funny things.

Ultimately, risky though an election is, it's probably the right thing for the country. If Mr Johnson wins, he has the mandate for No Deal if Necessary. If the Brexit Party wins, we will simply have No Deal. If the LibDems win, there will be an extension and then a referendum on revoke. And if Labour wins, Brexit will be the least of our worries.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Bad day in the Bahamas, 225 MPH gusts and 30 inches of rain.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

I think Bercow would win! A reflection of the tory route. People dont want this shit!
    In a seat where Remain tallied a majority at the referendum, the Conservatives don't look particularly well-placed to evict an MP who seems well enough liked locally.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

We are simply in uncharted territory, no country ever having done anything remotely similar. It could go OK or it could be a disaster or at any point in between, depending on whcih point in time you’re looking at

So not really any basis for saying, as you did, that it would be "nothing like as bad as feared"?

Obviously I don't know either, but based on the evidence of relatively minor causes producing quite major disruption, I find it plausible that it could be complete chaos.
    Nodown so that they can run a “Project Fear overdone (again) story”.

My concern is more for what happens in the days, weeks, months afterwards. I gave an example over the weekend of one particular example in my industry.

But you may very well be right and it could be worse. We are in butterfly-chaos territory here, aren’t we? Certainly, doctors and food retailers are concerned and I’d trust what they say more than the government.
    Yes. I was told here yesterday to "grow up" for suggesting that there could be food shortages. But apparently after Michael Gove claimed “there will be no shortages of fresh food,” the British Retail Consortium issued a statement saying they had told ministers repeatedly that that wasn't true.

If ministers are lying to us about the potential for food shortages as a result of their policies, I think people should be very concerned.

We are still nearly two months away from a No Deal Brexit. I think it would be entirely prudent for people to build up some reserves of food during that period. Yet Matt Hancock publicly told people they shouldn't do so. I think that is the height of irreponsibility. If people die as a result of this reckless policy, I think he and others should be held to account.

I felt that Britain had quite a grown up thoughtful political culture, and it was one reason I was - and to a certain extent still am - quite sceptical about the EU project. (Note: IMO there is a difference between being Eurosceptic and a Brexiteer.) But the last few years have been quite an eye opener. The extent of the frivolousness and a fundamental lack of seriousness in our politicians, with a few rare exceptions, has been shocking.
    Your wit is as pleasant and urbane as ever, Richard, but the sad truth is that the EU representatives have made ours look a sorry bunch.
  • Options

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Bercow started it. ;)
    Oh, that's OK then!
    Why is it fine for Bercow to do away with long-held traditions, but not Johnson?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Handing in all phones is SOP at Number 10 - I was at a meeting there a few weeks ago (no, not with Boris) so I know it's still current practice.

They don't actually search you, so you could take in 10 phones if you really wanted to.
  • Options
    isam said:

Have to say, as a Farage fan and former Kipper, I don’t get his obsession with No Deal. Leaving the EU was our goal. I had assumed keeping No Deal on the table was to pressure MPs who wish to waste time into voting for a deal.
    The reality of it is that there is a large group of Brexiteers, Farage among them, who don't actually want to OWN Brexit. They are gearing themselves up, and have done for months, to say "ah, but it wasn't exactly what we wanted, just 80% of what we wanted, so we really aren't to blame for anything and will continue to complain from the sidelines.

I have much the same criticism of Lib Dems who bailed soon after the Coalition was founded. Did they ever really want power, if they ran a mile the moment they had a bit (ostensibly on the basis they had to share it, but really because they liked carping more than running things)?

It's "God make me good... but not yet".
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

And if Labour wins, Brexit will be the least of our worries.

I remember making the point before the 2016 referendum that a Leave win would make a Corbyn government much more likely.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Well to be fair Bercow has gone back on his word about how long he would serve as Speaker.

He promised he'd do no more than nine years and is past ten so he's fair game IMO.

Bercow wants to "go on and on" it seems and as the Blessed Margaret found out that never ends well...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Tabman said:

Pulpstar said:

...although to be fair, Boris will do that too.

Unasked.
    fair comment :-)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options
    Chris said:

Thats why Alistair always takes two phones
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

If they want him to lose, aren't they better off leaving him to the Brexit Party? It's a 51% Remain seat so Bercow vs Con vs BXP looks a fairly comfortable win for him (though NB the Greens have stood against him previously, scoring around 15%).
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,897
    edited September 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Morning all.

I think Boris Johnson's plan, through all of this, has been to get an election without being accused of being opportunistic about it. His goal is to unite the Brexit vote, by promising to go No Deal if necessary, and to use this to secure a working majority. With said majority, he hopes to secure something that looks like the WA, only with (perhaps) an extended Implementation period or something else that renders the backstop a non-issue.

1. The Brexit Party are not complete idiots. They see Boris posturing about No Deal, but know he doesn't really want No Deal. Therefore, they are not likely to stand aside. It may be that they can be kept to under 10%, in which case, Boris's bet paid off. But if Nigel Farage gets traction and they end up in the mid-teens, then Mr Johnson will not look so smart.

2. How much tactical voting will there be? And how much is th Labour vote tribal? Ultimately, success for Boris Johnson happens if he takes 20-30 Labour Leave seats, while only losing a dozen to the LibDems and SNP. (On which note, the House of Commons will be poorer for the loss of Zac Goldsmith.) The problem is if Remainers in Don Valley decide to hold their nose and vote Labour rather than split the non-Tory vote. Mr Johnson is fortunate indeed that his opponent is Jeremy Corbyn, but it may not be enough.

3. The true danger for Mr Johnson would be if Ms Swinson turned out to be a brilliant media performer, and the LDs repeated their Euro election result. I don't think this is likely, but elections are funny things.

Ultimately, risky though an election is, it's probably the right thing for the country. If Mr Johnson wins, he has the mandate for No Deal if Necessary. If the Brexit Party wins, we will simply have No Deal. If the LibDems win, there will be an extension and then a referendum on revoke. And if Labour wins, Brexit will be the least of our worries.

It's hard to think of anything Labour could do that could be more economically destructive than the combination of No Deal Brexit and magic money tree spending that Boris seems determined to pursue.
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing! tape one inside your underpants! Phoning from it afterwards might be a little unpleasant, but who is going to start frisking Nick Soame's nether regions to check he hasn't got something in there?!
  • Options
    Multilevel regression. It's the same kind of polling that accurately predicted results like Labour winning Canterbury in 2017.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

In a seat where Remain tallied a majority at the referendum, the Conservatives don't look particularly well-placed to evict an MP who seems well enough liked locally.
    How would you price Bercow's seat if the Tories, Brexit party and say 1 other no hoper independent were running.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Morning all.

It's hard to think of anything Labour could do that could be more economically destructive than the combination of No Deal Brexit and magic money tree spending that Boris seems determined to pursue.
    you just lack imagination
  • Options
    I think it's the same as YouGov's fancy model from 2017.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

In a seat where John Stevens beat Nigel Farage, and the Labour and LibDems won't be standing...

Yes, Bercow would win. But I struggle to se how he could remain Speaker in a situation where the party of government (assuming a Conservative victory) ran against him.

Elevation to the Lords is, of course, the usual thing. But is it "writ in stone", or could he cast aside convention and return to the backbenches as an independent? In which case, the Conservatives could lose end up effectively losing another seat.
  • Options
    Amber Rudd could lose her 346 majority to Labour in Hastings and Rye since the town is moving in a Labour direction demographically.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Been thinking about what Boris should do to leave on 31 Oct with enough political capital to survive beyond it.

He should schedule a MV for late 28 October. Make it a free vote on whatever the status of the deal is by then. Get agreement from Gaukeward now for no extensions.

Pressure is then on his opponents.

No its not. By then it would be too late to do anything. They would just say so and point at Boris and say "What is coming is entirely your fault."
    He would say “I’ve heard the concerns , No one wants no deal. So on 28 October we have one chance to avert it. I call on the EU and opposition to come together to get a deal over the line. I offer a free vote. The onus is now on everyone to come together and pass a better deal”.
    No. If you wait until Oct 28th, the only option left is Revoke, because it takes very little time - probably an afternoon and that includes writing the letter and sending a plane over to Brussels to deliver it.
    That could be done in six hours.
    Not if you give it to Grayling.
  • Options
    Multi-level Regression and Post-stratification poll.

Is the methodology used so successfully in 2017 with their constituency poll.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

In a seat where John Stevens beat Nigel Farage, and the Labour and LibDems won't be standing...

Yes, Bercow would win. But I struggle to se how he could remain Speaker in a situation where the party of government (assuming a Conservative victory) ran against him.

Elevation to the Lords is, of course, the usual thing. But is it "writ in stone", or could he cast aside convention and return to the backbenches as an independent? In which case, the Conservatives could lose end up effectively losing another seat.
    wouldnt he just switch party ?
  • Options

Multilevel regression. It's the same kind of polling that accurately predicted results like Labour winning Canterbury in 2017.
    Surprise surprise. What a bummer for HYUFD et al. Boris not making a blind bit of difference over his super-competent predecessor! What a bunch of over confident twats! So they have another election, it is a hung parliament. What then Mr Cummy-Biscuit?
  • Options

So Lab/lib dem/SNP/Plaid comes to...320

still not a majority.

• Options
    Chris said:

A man can hope.
  • Options

still not a majority.

Alliance are forecast to gain Belfast East in Northern Ireland. The one change there.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    I wonder what assumptions they made about the Brexit Party standing candidates?
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    Have we now hit the point where if no election is called this week Boris will be said to have “bottled it”? Plenty of chance for Number 10 to have stopped these rumours by now.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Amazing that people are such absolute sheep. I don't have a mobile phone, but if I did, and someone told me I wouldn't be allowed to attend a social event without handing it over, I should find something else to do very quickly. Pitiful.
    Anyone who does that may run afoul of the new Cumming Directive and be deselected ;)
    No doubt. Sheep.
    It is so so easy to get round that. Unbelievably easy.
  • Options

still not a majority.

321 with the alliance gain of Belfast East in NI.
  • Options
    If the Alliance surge in Northern Ireland actually translates into them winning seats, then

So, Con + DUP would be about three seats below Lab + SNP + LD + Green + PC + Alliance.

"Strong and stable" would not be the best description of that outcome.
  • Options

Surprise surprise. What a bummer for HYUFD et al. Boris not making a blind bit of difference over his super-competent predecessor! What a bunch of over confident twats! So they have another election, it is a hung parliament. What then Mr Cummy-Biscuit?
    Polling of various forms predicted an Ed Miliband-led government in 2015.
  • Options
    ab195 said:

Have we now hit the point where if no election is called this week Boris will be said to have “bottled it”? Plenty of chance for Number 10 to have stopped these rumours by now.

"Bottler" Boris has an even better ring than Bottler Brown
  • Options
    So - a desperate gamble on Johnson's part in the hope that something unexpected will turn up to improve his position.

At the cost of explaining to the British public, over the course of several weeks, how a No Deal Brexit would work. And having to turn up to debates, answer questions in interviews, and all that kind of thing.

If he goes for that, it's a recognition of how hopeless his position is with the current House of Commons.
  • Options
    Martin Baxter has just updated his polling average and seats forecast.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

Con 356, Lab 188, LD 34, SNP 50.
  • Options
    JSpring said:

keep clutching at them!
  • Options
    Wouldn’t it be delicious if there was no time to debate the vote to dissolve Parliament due to the progrogation?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182

As I say, I will follow the polls carefully and tactically vote against the tories and encourage people to not vote tory in several ways...

A fine upstanding citizen indeed.

And hopefully there are many more like you - since there lies the route to evicting the toxic clown.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Not been able to keep up today - has Faraged essentially nixed a Tory-BXP pact, potentially securing remain, yet?
  • Options
    ab195 said:

Boris won't bottle it? ;)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Amazing that people are such absolute sheep. I don't have a mobile phone, but if I did, and someone told me I wouldn't be allowed to attend a social event without handing it over, I should find something else to do very quickly. Pitiful.
    Anyone who does that may run afoul of the new Cumming Directive and be deselected ;)
    No doubt. Sheep.
    Yes. Just tweet it as you leave the building after they hand the phone back to you.

Duh!
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    i know an MP who was in a meeting with Cummings this morning..they havent bottled it. Evidently he was very clear in his mind as to where this was going and how it would play out.
    Evidently its the media who are getting edgy as to what will happen next.
    More surprises to come i reckon.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

No basis at all. I’m not being Pollyanna-ish. Personally I fear that it could be quite bad. But the reason for saying what I did is that the government will be desperate to make the first few days look ok until press interest dies down so that they can run a “Project Fear overdone (again) story”.

Well, more British. Very possibly I had a rose-tinted view of that.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2019
    Feel's a lot like Alastair's mate Paul Masterton is lining up to dutifully vote for Hard Brexit when the time comes.
  • Options
    JSpring said:

And polling predicted a massive May majority in 2017.

We don't know what will happen. It may be the LDs wither during the election campaign, limiting Labour losses to the Conservatives. It may be that Ms Swinson and Mr Corbyn and whoever is running the Greens, split the Remain vote, and Mr Johnson ends up with a handsome majority.

We simply don't know.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

In this I would defend them - that convention has not been as widely adhered to as people pretend it has, it is not cast iron by any means and it is a shame the LDs said theyd stand against Bercow then didnt.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

That'll do!
  • Options

I wonder what assumptions they made about the Brexit Party standing candidates?
    Or about whether there would be two dozen sitting MPs standing as Independent Anti-No Deal Conservatives - for example?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If the Alliance surge in Northern Ireland actually translates into them winning seats, then

So, Con + DUP would be about three seats below Lab + SNP + LD + Green + PC + Alliance.

But if they have assumed that the Brexit Party stands candidtaes, that is the worst case scenario. Even if Farage tries his spoiler routine.

If he doesn't.....
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

wouldnt he just switch party ?
    My point is that the Conservatives would need to elect one of their own MPs to become speaker, but in doing so, they effectively lose said MP.

Opposition would be +1 of Bercow,
    Government would be -1 of the new Speaker,

Unless the government could force Bercow up to the Lords, and therefore get a by-election.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

He is wrong..LDs to get over 50
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Chris said:

Easily evaded, you just need one of those special tiny phones with rounded edges, made for smuggling into jail in errrrrrr, internal storage.
  • Options

Wouldn’t it be delicious if there was no time to debate the vote to dissolve Parliament due to the progrogation?

I thought passing a motion of the commons was very quick?
  • Options
    Chris said:

There’s intimate. And then there’s sexual assault.

But I see that @NickPalmer has confirmed that there’s nothing to stop you bringing in half a dozen of the things if you want.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

But if they have assumed that the Brexit Party stands candidtaes, that is the worst case scenario. Even if Farage tries his spoiler routine.

If he doesn't.....
    Sure, if Farage doesn't stand, then that helps a lot.

The Conservative Party's official position is WA - Backstop, and if we can't have that, then No Deal. The Brexit Party's position is that the WA (even without the Backstop) is the work of the Devil.

So what does Farage get out of not standing? Unless there was some kind of pact, where the Conservatives stood aside in (say) five Leave-y Labour seats, then I don't see why he would, given he hates the Conservatives prefererred outcome.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson to make a statement around 6pm.
  • Options

Crest or no crest? :p
  • Options
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

Scott_P said:
    That actually brings a tear to my eye. Back then there was a least some romance and optimism in aspects of Brexit. These days it's just grubby politics and smart arsery - solely about Cummings's one-upmanship and Boris's career.
    Whatever your views on Brexit, it is very hard to reconcile that speech to today's political landscape.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

No doubt. Sheep.
    Yes. Just tweet it as you leave the building after they hand the phone back to you.

Duh!
    Or be a bit cannier and spend a lot of time in the ladies touching up your lipstick. :)
  • Options

AndyJS said:

That'll do!
    Interesting.

Con gain 61 from Lab but lose 23 to LD and SNP
    Lab lose 74 (to Con, LD, SNP)
    LD gain 22 (from Con, Lab, Plaid)
    SNP gain 16 (from Con and Lab) but lose Fife NE
    Plaid lose 1 to LD
    Alliance gain 1 from DUP
  • Options

#CrestWatch :D
  • Options
    Statement outside Downing St at 6
  • Options
    Interesting that they defined the wording of the letter.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Beth Rigby says her sources say it's not GE announcement.
  • Options
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Larry the cat to be expelled from the Conservative Party after refusing to leave 10 Downing Street by 31st October ??
  • Options

RobD said:

crest fallen?
  • Options
    The big question is: will 434 MPs support an early election?
  • Options
    edited September 2019

AndyJS said:

That'll do!
    Con 62 Seat Majority (biggest Con majority since 1987) - that would get the job done. :D
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

No doubt. Sheep.

Duh!
    Or be a bit cannier and spend a lot of time in the ladies touching up your lipstick. :)
    I am assuming that you get your bag emptied on the door. I suppose you could slip a tiny one on the makeup bag, but I am sure they have x-ray machines for security scanning... *BEEP!*

No... I would just make notes of the salient points and be tweeting them before the car was out of Downing St.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

If he doesn't.....
    The point is that no one knows what will happen, once we get into an election campaign!

Maybe it will turn into a Brexiteers' wet dream. Maybe the electorate will be terrified by five weeks' discussion of No Deal.

The point is that Johnson was elected in July with something close to a majority in the Commons, and we were told he held all the cards and couldn't be stopped from forcing a No Deal Brexit.

But now he's (apparently) opting for an election, not on the basis of polls indicating a landslide victory, as Theresa May mistakenly did, but on the basis of polls showing saying it's too close to call, and leaving everyone scurrying around trying to work out what assumptions the projections are based on.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

RobD said:

crest fallen?
    Well I'm fifty quid down on the day indeed.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    rcs1000 said:

Morning all.

Agreed on the former, I've been assuming that for a while.

The latter ….. more of a hope of mine than a real belief. He's certainly quite capable of turning around and flat out betraying the kippers/spartans with a WA+lipstick, but I'm dubious he'll have the numbers to pass it.
  • Options

I hope this isn't going to be a damp squib. 'I urge all members of the House to come together. In the meantime the government will continue its work to make a better Britain for all.'
  • Options
    timmo said:

AndyJS said:

He is wrong..LDs to get over 50
    Will you do a Paddy and eat your hat if they don't get 50? ;)
  • Options

I hope this isn't going to be a damp squib. 'I urge all members of the House to come together. In the meantime the government will continue its work to make a better Britain for all.'
    Sky calling it a damp squib. Or "Doing a Theresa"
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    His old Dad must be spinning in his grave.
This discussion has been closed.