Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By George! Will BJ flop or will he last a long time?

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    I like how Boris is saying these guys will be voting with Jeremy Corbyn despite himself voting with Jeremy Corbyn twice??
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561
    Wtf was that?
  • Options

I do have to question the judgement of the judiciary in getting involved in this, we;ll end uo with elected judges
    Why not question the judgement of the PM for putting judges in the shit position of having to make a divisive and unnecessary ruling?
    Yes I could question that, equally I could question the wisdom of the Speaker tearing up the rules. Neither side is exercising any judgement so we are simply in a political cage fight, The rules are there are no rules,
    The speaker has certainly pushed the boundaries, I do not know enough about the details to know how much justification he had. All this can be avoided though, if the executives go back to arguing and winning their battles in parliament. If they cannot, then they should request a GE.
  • Options

Wtf was that?

Indeed
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    Well that was a nothing speech. Maybe Johnson really is another May.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Only important bit of all that: Johnson doubling down, won't ask for an extension under any circumstance.

Guarantees an election.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    AndyJS said:

Not calling an election yet.

Of course not - he doesn't want one *wink*.

He'll wait to be forced to do it, totally against his will.
  • Options
    MauveMauve Posts: 129
    Bottler Boris bottles the battle?
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, perhaps he should retire?

To be serious (why?), it's an office that really chews up the holders. Look at Blair when he entered in 1997, and when he left in 2007. It looks as though he's aged far more than ten years. The same with Major, and to a lesser extent Cameron.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited September 2019
    He's tee'd up calling an election later this week.

'I really don't want an election, but if MPs tomorrow and Wednesday make my position untenable..'
  • Options
    Awful. Possibly his Brown / May "crap, we have been lumbered with a useless PM" moment....
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    A speech from the May podium school of "I've not really said anything helpful here".
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    So the BBC is expecting an election on October 14 - a Monday?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    Johnson’s comments merely confirm what is blindingly obvious: there will be an election and it will be held in mid October.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Only important bit of all that: Johnson doubling down, won't ask for an extension under any circumstance.

Guarantees an election.

Doesn’t. He’ll have to resign.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Noo said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

It hands us over, bound hand and foot, to the EU. To toy with at their pleasure.

It’s unbelievable. Hey, Britain, Have ten years or No Deal. Absolutely fucking shameful.
    Either you want Parliamentary sovereignty or you do not.
    The word traitor is much overused. Especially in Brexit. But that vile document deserves the word. It is the only word. They are traitors.
    Taking power from the executive and vesting it in parliament is by no definition treachery.
    It is not treachery but it is a usurpation of power that completely defenestrates the executive. That has major ramifications for the electorate holding people to account. Especially when this is a move that does not correlate with traditional party lines.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Weak

W
    E
    A
    K

Weak
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Andrew said:

Guarantees an election.

Will he? Corbyn said earlier that he'd support an election under any circumstances.
  • Options

'I really don't want an election, but if MPs tomorrow and Wednesday make my position untenable..'

With what words?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Perhaps. He certainly wasn't talking to us geeks.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andrew said:

Guarantees an election.

Will he? Corbyn said earlier that he'd support an election under any circumstances.
    Well he said he won’t request an extension under any circumstance but if the PM is legally compelled to he’ll have to resign.
  • Options

With what words?
    That he would never request another extension.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,114
    Gosh the Benn letter has got some reactionaries bow ties swirling! I can feel the breeze from here!

But the question is - what does the Toxic Clown do?

Exciting or what.
  • Options
    According to Mr Johnson the chances for No Deal were one in a million three weeks ago, and that since then the chances for a deal had notably increased.

Well, that's a relief.
  • Options

RobD said:

Andrew said:

Guarantees an election.

Well he said he won’t request an extension under any circumstance but if the PM is legally compelled to he’ll have to resign.
    He'd call an election instead...
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Noo said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

It hands us over, bound hand and foot, to the EU. To toy with at their pleasure.

It’s unbelievable. Hey, Britain, Have ten years or No Deal. Absolutely fucking shameful.
    The word traitor is much overused. Especially in Brexit. But that vile document deserves the word. It is the only word. They are traitors.
    Taking power from the executive and vesting it in parliament is by no definition treachery.
    It is not treachery but it is a usurpation of power that completely defenestrates the executive.
    Do you know what the word "defenestrates" means? I hope so.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    I can see Brexit very easily ending in civil strife now. Tragic.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

It is when the bulk of that Parliament is in thrall to Brussels.

Calm yourself down. Referring to parliamentary democracy as treachery is not a good look. We have free and fair elections, in which you are free to stand, campaign and vote.
    You're angry about something and exaggerating. Calm yourself down.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    What a wet fart of a speech that was.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Boris is a pound shop Theresa May.

During the leadership election Tory posters thought Rory Stewart was continuity May and I argued it was Johnson. Events are proving me right, failure to debate, failure to lead, failure to build consensus, if losing the debate throw toys out of pram. Quick polling honeymoon for both, followed by disappointing election result leading to further paralysis.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    I think we can almost take it as read that the Govt will lose tomorrow so I assume this speech tees up a GE ?
  • Options

God this is a vacuous speech.

It was utter waffle. There was more balderdash then you'd get in a landslide.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

I do have to question the judgement of the judiciary in getting involved in this, we;ll end uo with elected judges
    Why not question the judgement of the PM for putting judges in the shit position of having to make a divisive and unnecessary ruling?
    Yes I could question that, equally I could question the wisdom of the Speaker tearing up the rules. Neither side is exercising any judgement so we are simply in a political cage fight, The rules are there are no rules,
    The speaker has certainly pushed the boundaries, I do not know enough about the details to know how much justification he had. All this can be avoided though, if the executives go back to arguing and winning their battles in parliament. If they cannot, then they should request a GE.
    Agreed
  • Options
    At least lectern use has increased since the referendum. Clearly a growth market.
  • Options
    It wasn't even eloquent - he bumbled over "get it done" twice in the last sentence.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Gosh the Benn letter has got some reactionaries bow ties swirling! I can feel the breeze from here!

But the question is - what does the Toxic Clown do?

Exciting or what.

Philip Hammond?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Wtf was that?

5 minutes of your life just gone for no reason
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think we can almost take it as read that the Govt will lose tomorrow so I assume this speech tees up a GE ?

Yes.
  • Options
    Is there any doubt of that? I know rebels in Labour for Brexit and Tories against Brexit have always tended to disappoint, but this is pretty much the last chance for the anti- no dealers, and it barely takes any to see the government lose.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Andrew said:

Guarantees an election.

He can’t call an election. We’ve been through this.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

And it's all the Brexiteers' fault. And they're the ones threatening violence now, as we've seen on here passim.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Andrew said:

Guarantees an election.

If Corbyn will agree to it under any circumstances, he can.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Jonathan said:

Weak

W
    E
    A
    K

Weak

He inherited a minority Govt.

I sincerely hope he gets to head a majority Govt.
  • Options

Wtf was that?

5 minutes of your life just gone for no reason
    Can't disagree with that.
  • Options

It wasn't even eloquent - he bumbled over "get it done" twice in the last sentence.

Has he been on the gin maybe?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Andrew said:

Guarantees an election.

We’ll see.
  • Options

Byronic said:

And it's all the Brexiteers' fault. And they're the ones threatening violence now, as we've seen on here passim.
    DrFoxy was talking there being violence on here the other day too. So it is not only Brexiteers predicting it, though they and he dispute their predictions are also tacit endorsements of it happening.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

I am very relaxed.

Just had a wine bath with my wife followed by a head, shoulders and back massage in a wine spa resort in rural Bulgaria

It's amazing how that takes the edge off.

a) tmi
    b) a wine bath is a thing?
    You’re SUCH a pleb. Of course a wine bath is a thing. I had my first, about 15 years ago, here:

https://en.caudalie.com/spas-boutiques

At the end of my trip the owner, Mathilde, asked me to share a £5000 bottle of Bordeaux from a nearby winery. Hard times, they were. Hard.
    I am such a pleb which is why I come to PB to gain enlightenment. £5,000 bottle of wine? Hardly an owner-served ampoule of Penfolds Block 42 now, is it?
    Hah! OK let’s play wine snob top trumps.

I was once handed a nearly full bottle of Mouton Rothschild 1945. The person handing it to me said “do you want to finish this? We opened a few last night for granny’s birthday but I’ve had enough”.

The person giving it to me was a Rothschild. The bottle was worth, even then, about £10,000.

If you can beat that I shall pay you my respects and retire hurt: and drive to Sparta to buy some (cheaper) wine.
    Did it taste 200 times better than a £50 bottle, or 500 times better than a £20 bottle.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Weak

W
    E
    A
    K

Weak

How is he going to do that? He’s just told us he doesn’t want an election.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,934
    kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Martin Baxter has just updated his polling average and seats forecast.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

Con 356, Lab 188, LD 34, SNP 50.

That'll do!
    Con 62 Seat Majority (biggest Con majority since 1987) - that would get the job done. :D
    And there you have it.

For all the negative thread headers we've had on BoJo destroying the Conservative Party, etc, it's worth remembering that in the last days of Theresa May Electoral Calculus had a Con/BXP coalition as most likely outcome. Quite possibly with BXP as the senior partner if the trend continued.

Not only has Boris saved the Tories, if as rcs1000 says his plan all along has been to seek a majority then pass something that looks like the WA+lipstick, Boris will have actually saved us from a hard brexit - which would've been a certainty in a BXP/Con coalition.
    If he does that I'll thank him...although BXP would not have arisen as so potent a force had Boris and co not spent a year pissing on a deal that they then accepted was Brexit after all. Even a majority of the ERG did.
    I think I spoke too soon. Another few speeches like that and he will be polling where Theresa May was. Next election would then be a four way split between Labour, Lib Dem, Con and Brex.

No idea who would come out on top, but a Con/Brex coalition would be a worse outcome for the country than a Tory government.
  • Options
    Noo said:

It is when the bulk of that Parliament is in thrall to Brussels.

Calm yourself down. Referring to parliamentary democracy as treachery is not a good look. We have free and fair elections, in which you are free to stand, campaign and vote.
    You're angry about something and exaggerating. Calm yourself down.
    If it's like this now, what happens if Brexit disrupts the poor dears' medication?
  • Options

Byronic said:

Hmm, you obviously aren't on social media ("string up the queen") or seeing who's been protesting on the streets over the past few days.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Andrew said:

Guarantees an election.

We’ll see.
    It certainly isn't as clear cut as you make out.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Byronic said:

No, it was 40 years of Europhile lies, evasions and duplicities which got us here. If they’d offered just one of the 483 referendums they promised (then denied) we would not be in this nightmare. But they didn’t, so we are.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

I don't see it on Vanilla :o
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Weak

W
    E
    A
    K

Weak

Why? Party loyalty or something more?
  • Options
    “Nothing has changed”

(Except, maybe, the very clear, on the record “I will not ask for an extension”.. which like “Oct 31 do or die” would be a massive hostage to fortune if he didn’t have every intention of sticking to it. It certainly sounds like he’d sooner - politically - die rather than not do it.)
  • Options
    What happens if the Rebels get their bill passed but then 2/3rds of MPs refuse to back an early election?
  • Options

At least lectern use has increased since the referendum. Clearly a growth market.

Time was PMs would make such statements to the HoC.

Then again he's not letting the HoC meet much is he?
  • Options

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

I am very relaxed.

Just had a wine bath with my wife followed by a head, shoulders and back massage in a wine spa resort in rural Bulgaria

a) tmi
    You’re SUCH a pleb. Of course a wine bath is a thing. I had my first, about 15 years ago, here:

At the end of my trip the owner, Mathilde, asked me to share a £5000 bottle of Bordeaux from a nearby winery. Hard times, they were. Hard.
    I am such a pleb which is why I come to PB to gain enlightenment. £5,000 bottle of wine? Hardly an owner-served ampoule of Penfolds Block 42 now, is it?

I was once handed a nearly full bottle of Mouton Rothschild 1945. The person handing it to me said “do you want to finish this? We opened a few last night for granny’s birthday but I’ve had enough”.

The person giving it to me was a Rothschild. The bottle was worth, even then, about £10,000.

If you can beat that I shall pay you my respects and retire hurt: and drive to Sparta to buy some (cheaper) wine.
    I've never spent more than a tenner on a bottle of wine. I doubt I have ever drunk anything much more than a 30 quid bottle in my life. Is wine the new Air Miles on PB?
    TWS it is on top of airmiles and 5 star hotels, makes them feel important.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

The traitors are those who are willing to trash the UK economy in a desperate attempt to meet a deadline imposed on us, against the UK PM and parliaments wishes, by a mardy French president!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    edited September 2019

Multilevel regression. It's the same kind of polling that accurately predicted results like Labour winning Canterbury in 2017.
    Surprise surprise. What a bummer for HYUFD et al. Boris not making a blind bit of difference over his super-competent predecessor! What a bunch of over confident twats! So they have another election, it is a hung parliament. What then Mr Cummy-Biscuit?
    A poll by the anti Brexit Conservative Group for Europe and even they give the Tories more than Labour, the SNP, Plaid and the Greens combined with the DUP or LDs having the balance of power.

In the last days of May by contrast the Tories were often third behind the Labour and Brexit Parties and sometimes even the LDs too
  • Options

Time was PMs would make such statements to the HoC.

Then again he's not letting the HoC meet much is he?
    Yeah, it's a shame they voted themselves a six week holiday in the run up to this crisis, isn't it? :p
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

That'll do!
    Con 62 Seat Majority (biggest Con majority since 1987) - that would get the job done. :D
    And there you have it.

For all the negative thread headers we've had on BoJo destroying the Conservative Party, etc, it's worth remembering that in the last days of Theresa May Electoral Calculus had a Con/BXP coalition as most likely outcome. Quite possibly with BXP as the senior partner if the trend continued.

Not only has Boris saved the Tories, if as rcs1000 says his plan all along has been to seek a majority then pass something that looks like the WA+lipstick, Boris will have actually saved us from a hard brexit - which would've been a certainty in a BXP/Con coalition.
    If he does that I'll thank him...although BXP would not have arisen as so potent a force had Boris and co not spent a year pissing on a deal that they then accepted was Brexit after all. Even a majority of the ERG did.
    I think I spoke too soon. Another few speeches like that and he will be polling where Theresa May was. Next election would then be a four way split between Labour, Lib Dem, Con and Brex.

No idea who would come out on top, but a Con/Brex coalition would be a worse outcome for the country than a Tory government.
    Don't you know Boris just pretends to be stupid? Underneath it all there's a razor-sharp intellect.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    edited September 2019
    PS.. it would be highly amusing if the Commons refused to call an election, leaving him to follow its instructions or quit, presumably in favour of Gove or someone.

(Edit: I see this is a repeat.. sorry!)
  • Options

What happens if the Rebels get their bill passed but then 2/3rds of MPs refuse to back an early election?

Boris executes the will of Parliament or resigns.
  • Options

Byronic said:

If you destroy people's belief in democracy what do you expect? Blame those on both sides who have blocked Brexit for their own reasons. At some point the contract between the people and the political classes breaks.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,114
    Didn't see it. Was the Toxic Clown a bit transparent and vacuous?

And if he was which one won out?

Was it the transparency or was it the vacuity?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

I am very relaxed.

a) tmi

Did it taste 200 times better than a £50 bottle, or 500 times better than a £20 bottle.
    Even wine experts can only do a little bit better than 50/50 guessing when comparing a £50 or £10 bottle of wine in blind tasting.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Inevitable when the political classes think they know better than the electorate.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

That'll do!
    It is a fantasy GIN, silly Tories wetting their pants yet again.
  • Options

Byronic said:

If you destroy people's belief in democracy what do you expect? Blame those on both sides who have blocked Brexit for their own reasons. At some point the contract between the people and the political classes breaks.
    When did people vote for a no-deal Brexit?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,527
    RobD said:

So they could set it at some absurd date like 3019 and he'd have to accept? What a joke.
    it is always possible to leave earlier, if a deal is agreed.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    HYUFD said:

Multilevel regression. It's the same kind of polling that accurately predicted results like Labour winning Canterbury in 2017.
    Surprise surprise. What a bummer for HYUFD et al. Boris not making a blind bit of difference over his super-competent predecessor! What a bunch of over confident twats! So they have another election, it is a hung parliament. What then Mr Cummy-Biscuit?
    A poll by the anti Brexit Conservative Group for Europe and even they give the Tories more than Labour, the SNP, Plaid and the Greens combined with the DUP or LDs having the balance of power.

In the last days of May by contrast the Tories were often third behind the Labour and Brexit Parties and sometimes even the LDs too
    Wheras in 2017 at the starting gun
This discussion has been closed.