Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The next Speaker

Comments

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2019
    AndyJS said:
    I'm not sure that such a degree of political ignorance - not knowing the governing party's senior MPs - is entirely optimal in a SPAD.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

dixiedean said:

Sky reporting from Mansfield shows most everyone saying unite and leave by 31st October. There is real anger and frustration at the mps trying to delay leaving

Looks as if Boris is reflecting public opinion

You think people who are out and about in Mansfield on a Tuesday are representative of the country?
    It is a snapshot of ordinary peoples views plus some businessmen
    I accept that. But that does not mean its representative.
    Of course not but it chimes with various comments people have made to me over the last few days, some not even into politics

Evidence, if there is any, should start showing in the polls over the next few days
    Yes. But it reflects an understandable weariness. The fantasy that by Brexiting we will all breathe a sigh of relief and never speak of it again is strong.
    And hideously wrong.
    Yes. But the same goes for the Remainers: who blithely think a revocation, or a brisk new referendum with a Remain outcome, will quickly settle things, as we go back to normal.

It is delusional.

I’m trying hard to think of a way out of this, which doesn’t lead to an embittered country divided in half for a generation. It’s tricky.
    It's called the withdrawal agreement followed by a Norwegian landing. I genuinely think once we're out most leavers won't particularly care how close we are to the EU - the symbolic cultural war will have been won.
    Essentially de facto Remain for the economy, de jure Brexit for the symbolism.
    The problem was turning it into a cultural war in the first place, (with both sides equally to blame of course). They should have done their utmost to keep the debate as "technocratic" as possible, for the greater good.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_P said:
    I'm not sure Boris is in the mood to be lectured on what is "proper" by Bercow.....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    edited September 2019

Bonus point to the first PB'er to identify the only Tory who voted against MV3 from the Remain perspective and who will (presumably) vote with the Government against the motion today.

Eh ? Bebb, Grieve, Baker and Patel all voted against MV3.

Anne Marie Morris voted down the Brady amendment from the leave perspective.

Think I've misunderstood you.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

dixiedean said:

Sky reporting from Mansfield shows most everyone saying unite and leave by 31st October. There is real anger and frustration at the mps trying to delay leaving

You think people who are out and about in Mansfield on a Tuesday are representative of the country?
    Of course not but it chimes with various comments people have made to me over the last few days, some not even into politics

Evidence, if there is any, should start showing in the polls over the next few days
    Yes. But it reflects an understandable weariness. The fantasy that by Brexiting we will all breathe a sigh of relief and never speak of it again is strong.
    And hideously wrong.
    Yes. But the same goes for the Remainers: who blithely think a revocation, or a brisk new referendum with a Remain outcome, will quickly settle things, as we go back to normal.

It is delusional.

I’m trying hard to think of a way out of this, which doesn’t lead to an embittered country divided in half for a generation. It’s tricky.
    It's called the withdrawal agreement followed by a Norwegian landing. I genuinely think once we're out most leavers won't particularly care how close we are to the EU - the symbolic cultural war will have been won.
    The problem was turning it into a cultural war in the first place, (with both sides equally to blame of course). They should have done their utmost to keep the debate as "technocratic" as possible, for the greater good.
    they screwed up the technocratic arguments as well
  • Options
    The size of the rebellion is a direct challenge to Boris's authority and he has no choice but to call a GE. Labour will support it following RA probably on Monday, so a GE now looks odds on
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

dixiedean said:

And hideously wrong.

It is delusional.

Sure. But Remainers are now running the show. They have a whiff of victory. They won’t stop until they’ve fucked Brexit. And with it, quite possibly, the country.
    A no-deal Brexit would be both culturally, economically and very probably, in the means of its enaction, constitutionally, damaging. A no-exit would simply bear some damage to social coherence, and so to the cultural element, with less damage to the other dimensions.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

AndyJS said:
    I'm not sure that such a degree of political ignorance - not knowing the governing party's senior MPs - is entirely optimal in a SPAD.
    He may end up hectoring someone he should have sucked up to.

Or is he now beyond the need to suck up to any mortal being?
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    Or - more likely - he was doing his Don Corleone act. "You're all dead to me...."
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Corbyn going for the election after all, it looks like.

"Following a productive meeting of cross-party MPs this morning, we are united in our opposition to Boris Johnson’s plans for a no deal.

We are confident that the legislative route we have adopted has every chance of being successful, and we are working on ways in which we can prevent Boris Johnson manipulating an election to force a no-deal Brexit.

Labour wants to prevent a no-deal Brexit, and to have a general election, so we can end austerity and invest in our communities. I am confident we can have both, and we’ve been in discussions about a way to achieve this. We will continue to work across parliament towards this goal and will have further meetings to this end in coming days."

The issue has always been ensuring that the election is not used as a device to ensure a No Deal, even if the result produces a majority for parties opposing No Deal. Basically, Johnson is not trusted not to agree one thing and then do another. If a device is found to tie his hands and to give the incoming government the time needed to implement its Brexit policy then an eletion works for everyone that matters.

I'm surprised that people think Johnson would change the date of an election after announcing it. I don't think any British politician would do that. Maybe I'm naive.

Johnson is totally untrustworthy - as today's court documents have shown. It's not just a matter of fixing down a date, though. It's also crucial that the incoming government and Parliament has the time to act before the 31st October deadline.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Bonus point to the first PB'er to identify the only Tory who voted against MV3 from the Remain perspective and who will (presumably) vote with the Government against the motion today.

Jo Johnson.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    Byronic said:

dixiedean said:

And hideously wrong.

It is delusional.

I don't think that revoking will "quickly settle things" I do though think it is the best for the UK. There are many leavers who think that leavng is the best for the country.

You are right that the UK will be very divided on this issue for half a generation. That pandoras box was opened once the European Union Referendum Act 2015 was passed.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

dixiedean said:

And hideously wrong.

It is delusional.

Most voters would go with that, its MPs who appear to be unable to get their shit together.
    WA to Norway Landing may be a good end goal, but no sane opposition MP would expect a Tory government to deliver the second bit, and rightly so with Liar Johnson and the ERG at the controls. Trust has gone.

If it was a Labour government, or even one with Ken Clarke in charge, maybe a different story.
  • Options
    Y'know that selective and mendacious screen grab of the anti-No-Deal bill last night? The one that suggested Brussels could extend us by a million years and Boris would have to suck it up... without showing the following clause making clear *parliament* could reject the extension?

That's now the basis of the approved talking points for Tory MPs. FFS.

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1168880420143947780?s=20
  • Options
    Good to see Phillip Thompson doing a header, and it’s a good one. I dislike his politics intensely but his contributions below the line often help me to see things from a different perspective. Well done PB
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    tlg86 said:

Jo Johnson.
    He gives Matt Hancock a run for his money for the biggest wet flannel award.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited September 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Eh ? Bebb, Grieve, Baker and Patel all voted against MV3.

Anne Marie Morris voted down the Brady amendment from the leave perspective.

Think I've misunderstood you.
    There's a Tory MP who voted against MV3 for Remainy reasons (2nd ref) but who will vote against the motion today.

EDIT: @tlg86 has it
  • Options
    Chris said:

AndyJS said:

I suspect any hectoring was deliberate - it seems like Cummings doesn't do much without calculation. Quite why he would do it, I have no idea.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    tlg86 said:

Jo Johnson.
    Is that surprising ? I wonder what is the sister's current point of view. She was a CHUK candidate in the Euros.
  • Options

Jo Jonson?

• Options

Byronic said:

Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

dixiedean said:

And hideously wrong.

It is delusional.

Sure. But Remainers are now running the show. They have a whiff of victory. They won’t stop until they’ve fucked Brexit. And with it, quite possibly, the country.
    A no-deal Brexit would be both culturally, economically and very probably, in the means of its enaction, constitutionally, damaging. A no-exit would simply bear some damage to social coherence, and so to the cultural element, with less damage to the other dimensions.
    Sorry, but you don't get to fuck over democracy and then say, oh well, no biggie....
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    I think it will be a real shame if we lose him from the Commons. He has been one of the few politicians who has impressed me.
    He's one of the most interesting, for sure.

Attempting to deselect a huge amount of senior/high profile MPs in one go is banana republic stuff, is he really going to go through with it?
    I suspect it's just a Cummings wheeze that will be quickly abandoned once the threat no longer has a purpose. Chucking out all those long-standing, venerable Tories would make Boris a leper within the party. He wouldn't want that.
    Guido has polling showing that 60% of Con voters and 60% of leavers think the rebels should be deselected.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I'm not sure Boris is in the mood to be lectured on what is "proper" by Bercow.....
    Your comments might make slightly more sense if you bothered to read properly what you were commenting on.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Jo Johnson.
    If you tot up all the votes which "should have" gone the other way on key Brexit votes (ERG should have voted in favour of Brexit, followed by Tory remainers) etc then I had him down as THE key swing vote to get Brexit over the line.

He's not the key vote any more though.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,825

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    I think it will be a real shame if we lose him from the Commons. He has been one of the few politicians who has impressed me.

Attempting to deselect a huge amount of senior/high profile MPs in one go is banana republic stuff, is he really going to go through with it?
    I suspect it's just a Cummings wheeze that will be quickly abandoned once the threat no longer has a purpose. Chucking out all those long-standing, venerable Tories would make Boris a leper within the party. He wouldn't want that.
    Suspension is certain but for how long.
    And still you retain your membership.

Unbelievable
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Guido has polling showing that 60% of Con voters and 60% of leavers think the rebels should be deselected.
    So less than 30% of the population?
  • Options
    Remain had a majority in Buckingham. I don't see any prospect of the Speaker being unseated if he chooses to stand.

I'm not betting on this market for two reasons. First, the contest may still be some years off. And secondly, it is a contest where insider knowledge is valuable and I don't have it.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Y'know that selective and mendacious screen grab of the anti-No-Deal bill last night? The one that suggested Brussels could extend us by a million years and Boris would have to suck it up... without showing the following clause making clear *parliament* could reject the extension?

Yassas!!! My work is done. These are basically my words, verbatim, from last night. Dom Cummings is my disciple and I claim my 5 ecus
  • Options

Byronic said:

Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

dixiedean said:

And hideously wrong.

It is delusional.

Sorry, but you don't get to fuck over democracy and then say, oh well, no biggie....
    You’re the one who wants to overrule the decision that the people made to elect this Parliament in 2017.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

I suspect any hectoring was deliberate - it seems like Cummings doesn't do much without calculation. Quite why he would do it, I have no idea.
    Nah, like most sociopaths he has a short fuse, enjoys wielding power, and cannot understand that other people think differently.

The problem with his game theory is that no battle plan survives contact with the enemy.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2019

Byronic said:

Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

dixiedean said:

And hideously wrong.

It is delusional.

One could say the same for the implications for our parliamentary system and constitution in the event of a frogmarched-through no-deal.

The conflict between parliamentary and plebiscitary democracy is not reconcilable.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Unbelievable
    Quite remarkable especially given his original views about Boris
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

I think we can safely assume the answer is YES to any question which ends in an incredulous "is he *really* going to go through with it?" in relation to Her Britannic Majesty's current First Lord of the Treasury.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,248
    Great header thanks.

I think as @rcs1000 outlined yesterday that the Cons need to handle the exit of Bercow with care.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

dixiedean said:

And hideously wrong.

It is delusional.

As Boris has found to his cost and now Jezza has him by the balls.

Cant wait to see Cummings begging the PM elect.
  • Options
    If you're wondering how the Scottish Tories are faring without Ruth the Truth, Jackson Carlaw has responded to the SNP laying out their programme for government at Holyrood by slagging off Nicola Sturgeon for dyeing her hair.

Vote winning stuff.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,248
    Byronic said:

Scott_P said:
    He’s not voting against No Deal. He’s voting for a bill which delivers a naked, hog-tied Britain to the dungeonmasters of the EU. Wanker.

Edit: I like Rory Stewart. But his inability to acknowledge this clause in the Hillary Benn Brexit Surrender Treaty is a major failure.
    The accept within two days unless Parliament rejects it clause?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    Your comments might make slightly more sense if you bothered to read properly what you were commenting on.
    Or even looked at the pictures! ROTFL
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

Nah, like most sociopaths he has a short fuse, enjoys wielding power, and cannot understand that other people think differently.

The problem with his game theory is that no battle plan survives contact with the enemy.
    I agree with your second part, but I don't believe he was just blowing off steam.

Deliberately antagonising potential rebels would lend support to the theory that Boris/Cummings want to bring this to a head to get a GE. Or it could be something different entirely.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372

Scott_P said:
    Speaker of the House of Lords.
    I know you might think Bercow slightly megalomaniacal, but even his hubris doesn't extend quite so far.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

dixiedean said:

Yes. But it reflecty wrong.

It is delusional.

It's called the withdrawal agreement followed , de jure Brexit for the symbolism.
    Most voters would go with that, its MPs who appear to be unable to get their shit together.
    WA to Norway Landing may be a good end goal, but no sane opposition MP would expect a Tory government to deliver the second bit, and rightly so with Liar Johnson and the ERG at the controls. Trust has gone.

If it was a Labour government, or even one with Ken Clarke in charge, maybe a different story.
    and off you go

the whole Brexit issue is now just too toxic for sensible poliitics, it's like Stormont without the pinko liberalism.BoJo has only been in office a couple of months; the previous three years MPs had lots of time and even managed to neuter the executive and do what they pleased. But they couldnt get past the politics,

Politicans have spent too much time trying to outsmart each other rather than getting on with the job in hand. We can name call whoever we want but thats not getting any legislation passed and on current form any extension will just be another period of digging the trenches deeper.
  • Options
    Excellent debut piece Philip.

Frank Field is interesting as an option at 25/1 (I think JRM is too partisan) and I think it is Hoyle's to lose at present.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott- let me know the charity and I’ll settle after the vote.

So long Rory MP...
  • Options
    Defection watch: Man overboard
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Pathological liar caught in his latest whopper.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

Does that suggest a little bit of panic ? I thought they had game-planned.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Scott_P said:
    Whilst I understand the logic and agree that a coroner could and possibly should do such a thing...
    A coroner is a judicial role, and no politician should be telling them how to make their judgments. We need less of this kind of political meddling in judicial decisions, not more.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Philip Lee has just crossed the floor says Isabel Hardman. Just to chat to a mate or something more?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

dixiedean said:

And hideously wrong.

It is delusional.

If they block Brexit they will have to face a GE eventually - and PM Farage will be their reward.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Unbelievable
    So does Phil Hammond who labour are so pleased with
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Any one back Philip Lee to join LDs. Bingo.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1168895537891950595
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Feels like End of Days...
  • Options
    Government Majority 0
  • Options

Excellent debut piece Philip.

Frank Field is interesting as an option at 25/1 (I think JRM is too partisan) and I think it is Hoyle's to lose at present.

Frank Field is in his late 70s. It won't be him. I had thought JRM wanted to be Speaker until he joined the government a few weeks back.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

Scott- let me know the charity and I’ll settle after the vote.

So long Rory MP...

OK, thanks
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130
    David Johnston QC appearing for the government today. He is a brilliant lawyer but not, perhaps, the most scintillating advocate. He has just finished and Mr O'Neill is responding in rebuttal. Normally this would be brief but in this case, who knows?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Which BoJo's administration just officially became a minority government.
  • Options

Government Majority 0

No Speaker gets a casting vote - lol
  • Options

Government Majority 0

-1 you mean

• Options

Scott_P said:
    Which BoJo's administration just officially became a minority government.
    It was already a minority government; it just no longer has majority C&S support.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    Byronic said:

Yassas!!! My work is done. These are basically my words, verbatim, from last night. Dom Cummings is my disciple and I claim my 5 ecus
    Your excuse is political overexcitability turned up to 11.
    What is theirs ?
  • Options

FPT

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

This is quite incendiary. The rebels are in cahoots with the lawyers of a foreign power.

Laura Kuenssberg (@bbclaurak) Tweeted:
    4. Johnson tried to make case he thinks will get a deal but there simply isn’t much faith in that argument - one present said ‘it’s a load of ....’ - on other side another in the room said it’s clear rebels have consulted with eu lawyers

If you want to be hyperbolic, THIS looks like the real coup.

Yes, diehard Remainers are now clearly turning traitor this is 1588 all over again
    :D

I’m a citizen of both the EU and the UK. How can I be a traitor?
    I think it's concepts like that which really irritate Eurosceptics: they put national citizenships on an equal footing with those of every other, when really they're not. Again, the EU gets the tone and language all wrong.

The EU should have stuck to citizen of a nation state within the European Alliance. Everything from nation first and ditch the federalism.

Crucial difference.
    The time for flying those EU flags you had me buy, may be approaching.
    If you want to pour fuel on the fire of opposition to the EU in the UK then go right ahead.

It's emotional symbols of nationhood and loyalty like that which go straight to the gut of what drives Eurosceptic feeling and reaction.

You should have learnt this by now.
    That depends on the demographics of where you live. There are certainly places where flying a Union Jack would cause more raised eyebrows than flying an EU flag. (I live in one such.)
    Where do you live?
    A remainy bit of the Cotswolds.
    In that case you'd have absolutely no problems flying a UJ.

It's picture postcard England.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

Government Majority 0

Heart of stone to watch Bercow having to cast his vote in favour of Government.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Byronic said:

Pulpstar said:

Rebel majority of 30 for this evening's vote. Benn bill is heavily odds on to receive RA.

It looks like it
    If the rebels win then revoke or referendum, and hence Remain, become much much more likely. If not probable. It looks like the forex markets have already noticed this.

The £ has regained all its daily losses.
    Or in the real world, the traders have made (another) a profit from variations in exchange rates.
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477

Government Majority 0

-1 you mean

O’Mara makes the difference I think.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

dixiedean said:

And hideously wrong.

It is delusional.

Correct.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    dr_spyn said:

Government Majority 0

Heart of stone to watch Bercow having to cast his vote in favour of Government.
    That’s merely a precedent.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Government Majority 0

-1 you mean

Does Jared O'Mara still count?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Scott_P said:
    Ooh when's the By Election?! Oh, of course, there wont be one #democrats
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

Or as Mike Tyson put it: everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

For the record, I am not suggesting anybody should punch Cummings in the face.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Byronic said:

Pulpstar said:

Rebel majority of 30 for this evening's vote. Benn bill is heavily odds on to receive RA.

It looks like it
    If the rebels win then revoke or referendum, and hence Remain, become much much more likely. If not probable. It looks like the forex markets have already noticed this.

The £ has regained all its daily losses.
    Or in the real world, the traders have made (another) a profit from variations in exchange rates.
    Or a loss if they've followed the Neil Woodford playbook on sterling.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Is it me or have Boris and Cummings made the situation worse as the day goes on?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    AndyJS said:

Corbyn going for the election after all, it looks like.

"Following a productive meeting of cross-party MPs this morning, we are united in our opposition to Boris Johnson’s plans for a no deal.

We are confident that the legislative route we have adopted has every chance of being successful, and we are working on ways in which we can prevent Boris Johnson manipulating an election to force a no-deal Brexit.

Labour wants to prevent a no-deal Brexit, and to have a general election, so we can end austerity and invest in our communities. I am confident we can have both, and we’ve been in discussions about a way to achieve this. We will continue to work across parliament towards this goal and will have further meetings to this end in coming days."

The issue has always been ensuring that the election is not used as a device to ensure a No Deal, even if the result produces a majority for parties opposing No Deal. Basically, Johnson is not trusted not to agree one thing and then do another. If a device is found to tie his hands and to give the incoming government the time needed to implement its Brexit policy then an eletion works for everyone that matters.

I'm surprised that people think Johnson would change the date of an election after announcing it. I don't think any British politician would do that. Maybe I'm naive.
    The question is, will it win the government more votes / MPs by
    changing the date? If the PM and his special advisor think it will be a net vote winner, it is likely that he would change the date.

If Boris changes the Election date to the 7th November and refuses to carry out the Benn Bill on the 31st October, can he be be found in contempt of parliament, while parliament is closed for the election?

Anyway I don't think it will come to that, because it the chances it will back fire at the ballot box is too risky.
  • Options

It's OK, Darth Cumming has wargamed this.

Right?
  • Options
    It appears Philip Lee may have just disrupted BoZo's OODA loop...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Are there any photos or footage of Philip Lee crossing the floor? Would be interesting to see.
  • Options

Does that suggest a little bit of panic ? I thought they had game-planned.
    No Cummings has ordered them not to say don't panic don't panic jezzas got us by the balls.
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:
    Yawn.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    28,696 majority for Lee to overturn. Could be tricky.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    In terms of confidence, boris will get the support of Mann and Austin, possibly Hoey, it depends how many Tories vote against the government.......
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Feels like End of Days...

It is. To use a fashionable WW2 analogy, Brexit right now feels like the Axis in mid 1944. For a long while it seemed inevitable, then doubts crept in (Stalingrad), then quite suddenly it all fell apart and enemies streamed in from all angles.

It was another year in the dying but by July 44 it was doomed.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    DanSmith said:

Is it me or have Boris and Cummings made the situation worse as the day goes on?

They have managed to make things worse action by action since last Wednesday.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

More polarised isn’t “worse” for Con vote share....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Are there any photos or footage of Philip Lee crossing the floor? Would be interesting to see.

https://twitter.com/elbeetham/status/1168898058437976066
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Pulpstar said:

That’s one heck of a personal vote he thinks he has ;)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

isam said:

Scott_P said:
    Yawn.
    Holding people to account is so old fashioned and boring isnt it?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

He is a gonner like Chukka Ryan Gapes at al
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Interesting to see he did it on his own. Surprised a group didn’t move en bloc.

• Options
    Boris

'Jeremy Corbyn's surrender bill'

• Options
    eek said:

DanSmith said:

They have managed to make things worse action by action since last Wednesday.
    You’re both wrong. Boris and Cummings are playing a terrible hand rather well. Doing as good as could seriously be expected. Trouble is: it’s a terrible hand (as we all acknowledged when Boris took power). Almost unplayable.

It’s a tragedy they weren’t in power in 2016. I think they would have delivered a decent soft Brexit. But it’s too late now.
This discussion has been closed.