Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The next Speaker

Comments

• DougSeal said:

I'm actually not a fan of written constitutions, and I'm even less of a fan of the supposedly stark distinction between written and unwritten. In reality, big parts of the UK constitution are written (spread across many pieces of legislation rather than one single coherent document) and big parts of many other countries' constitutions are not actually in the big document that proclaims itself to be The Constitution - there are still other pieces of legislation with constitutional impact, and layer upon layer of precedent and practice.

But if constitutional matters don't get sorted out settle down over the next few years, I am going to become more deeply persuaded of the need for a written UK constitution. Won't stop brinkmanship or people pushing things to the limits, of course, but may make it clearer where exactly those limits are.

As I never tire of boring people - our constitution isn’t unwritten, it’s just uncodified
    Parts of our constitution are codified which might be the problem.

I prefer the good old days when our constitution was based on letters to The Times using pseudonyms.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Gabs2 said:

Boris was as poor as I can recall today coming under fire across the house and his blustering was hopeless.

In a GE he may do better but as far as I am concerned I want all these incompetent mps to face the electorate and let the voters decide

This HOC is finished and it is essential that Boris gets his GE for the 14th October

I am not even going to make any observation on the make up, I am past caring

I am with you Big G. It’s so depressing.
    On Oct 14th, I understand it's a Jewish holy day of some sort, where they are expected to do no work. Apparently voting counts as work. Whether or not filling in a postal vote a few days before counts as working that day, I don't know, but given some religious (from any religion) rules I wouldn't be surprised if it it did.
    Yes applying any logic to the rules of religion is the definition of a fool’s errand.
    You are ignoring millenia of Jewish and Islamic legal thought there. Even if you don't agree with the starting premises, it is fiercely logical.
    There haven't been millennia of Islamic thought, and you are wrong: it is loopy even on its own terms. God rested on day 7, he didn't say anybody else had to. Why is it only his Sundays we have to copy - if we are doing that why don't we also create heaven and earth every Monday?

Plus I'd be more impressed if the three main lots of them didn't give three different answers out of a possible seven to the question, which is the sabbath?
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

HYUFD said:

ab195 said:

Well there’s a thing. Polarisation.

Electoral Calculus gives a Tory majority of 106.

Tories 378, Labour 184, LDs 31.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=35&LAB=25&LIB=16&Brexit=11&Green=2&UKIP=1&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base

By way of anecdote a work colleague from the North East said his father, a Leaver but a lifelong Labour voter who even voted Labour in 2015 and 2017, will vote Tory for the first time in his life out of fury that MPs are still blocking Boris delivering Brexit

Electoral Calculus shows Tory gains from the SNP in Scotland. That tells us all we need to know about Electoral Calculus.

Nevertheless the Tories really should win a majority, so I just don’t get where all this stuff about Brexit being over is coming from.

I think as soon as the electorate cotton on to the fact the Tories are on course for a majority they will conspire such that the Tories do not get a majority.

Everything tells me that the Tories are in a very poor position and are widely unloved.
    so a normal election then
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    Gabs2 said:

Boris was as poor as I can recall today coming under fire across the house and his blustering was hopeless.

In a GE he may do better but as far as I am concerned I want all these incompetent mps to face the electorate and let the voters decide

This HOC is finished and it is essential that Boris gets his GE for the 14th October

On Oct 14th, I understand it's a Jewish holy day of some sort, where they are expected to do no work. Apparently voting counts as work. Whether or not filling in a postal vote a few days before counts as working that day, I don't know, but given some religious (from any religion) rules I wouldn't be surprised if it it did.
    Yes applying any logic to the rules of religion is the definition of a fool’s errand.
    You are ignoring millenia of Jewish and Islamic legal thought there. Even if you don't agree with the starting premises, it is fiercely logical.

Chris said:

Quite funny to see Phllip Lee's justification for abstaining on same-sex marriage.

He thought marriage should be left to "churches, other religious institutions and humanist groups."

Apparently the man's never heard of register offices. Amazing how out-of-touch our masters can be.

It's a good example of the hurdles Conservatives have to go through to join the Lib Dems though.

I'd certainly never do so.
    I don't think they'd expect you to have a same-sex marriage.
    My point is they are still two very different parties with different sets of values.
    Not really. The One Nation Conservative values are very similar to the Yellow Book LDs. There are very strong similarities. There is much more in common between these two and the authoritarian right wing that now dominates the Tory Party
    THAN the authoritarian right wing
    The ORANGE Book
  • Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

GIN1138 said:

This one will get the "changes from GE2017" treatment...

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1168923257875181571

Here we go... Opnion really starting to move ahead of the general election.
    I'm not sure I trust any opinion polls anymore. A YouGov constituency poll would probably be it. In lieu of that i'd look at Brexit petition densities and local election results, but lots of error in both.

I just trust my gut which tells me results will follow demographics and values (not UNS) and constituency results could be all over the place with lots of nominal three way marginals thereafter.
    My gut instinct is that Labour could do even worse than a UNS. I expect their 25% core vote to be even more concentrated in big cities than their 40% vote. The white working class voters they have lost are more scattered. With the Lib Dems it could be a similar story among younger unversity graduates, though that changes if they win a lot of leafy suburbs voters.
  • According to the Guardian 'The prime minister would not expect people who have voted to take power away from this government and to hand it to the opposition, to be a Conservative candidate or a Conservative MP.'

And 'voting' apparently includes abstaining.

We could soon have almost as many ex-Tories as Tories in the House!

As an ex member, I would have preferred it if a leading Conservative figure, through his stupidity and incompetence had not created the only conditions in which Jeremy Corbyn might take power. It is about time BoZo owned it, but I suspect, like all lightweights, he will blame someone else
  • dr_spyn said:
    That wasn't a particularly difficult prediction to make.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

apologies if this has already been posted but I'm trying to organise my evening - does anyone have a potential timetable of events in the HoC this evening?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49570682
    Ishmael_Z said:

Gabs2 said:

There haven't been millennia of Islamic thought, and you are wrong: it is loopy even on its own terms. God rested on day 7, he didn't say anybody else had to. Why is it only his Sundays we have to copy - if we are doing that why don't we also create heaven and earth every Monday?

Plus I'd be more impressed if the three main lots of them didn't give three different answers out of a possible seven to the question, which is the sabbath?
    I am secular so don't believe in any of it, but from the starting premises it is very logical. In fact that is one of the problems of the fundamentalists. They follow logic wherever it goes, even if you get to stupid situations like being able to get in a lift but not being able to press the button.

And I was speaking about millenia in aggregate.
  • Chris said:

Quite funny to see Phllip Lee's justification for abstaining on same-sex marriage.

He thought marriage should be left to "churches, other religious institutions and humanist groups."

Apparently the man's never heard of register offices. Amazing how out-of-touch our masters can be.

It's a good example of the hurdles Conservatives have to go through to join the Lib Dems though.

My point is they are still two very different parties with different sets of values.
    Not really. The One Nation Conservative values are very similar to the Yellow Book LDs. There are very strong similarities. There is much more in common between these two and the authoritarian right wing that now dominates the Tory Party
    Those are two distinct wings of the respective parties that share a lot with regard to social liberalism. It's a question of degree, yes, but there's also the median of the values the parties hold which is somewhere quite different for both.

I could see George Osborne and Jeremy Browne in the same party, for instance, but not Evan Harris and David Cameron.

Gabs2 said:

Labour are not committed to a referendum on any deal they agree. And it is not a binary choice.

You're out-of-date on that, IIUC. Their current position is for a renegotiation followed by a referendum, with a Remain option.
    Do you have a source for that?
    Ishmael_Z said:

Gabs2 said:

Well put. I was going to draft a response to his absurd claim but you did a much better job of it.
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

HYUFD said:

ab195 said:

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=35&LAB=25&LIB=16&Brexit=11&Green=2&UKIP=1&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base

By way of anecdote a work colleague from the North East said his father, a Leaver but a lifelong Labour voter who even voted Labour in 2015 and 2017, will vote Tory for the first time in his life out of fury that MPs are still blocking Boris delivering Brexit

Electoral Calculus shows Tory gains from the SNP in Scotland. That tells us all we need to know about Electoral Calculus.

Nevertheless the Tories really should win a majority, so I just don’t get where all this stuff about Brexit being over is coming from.

I think as soon as the electorate cotton on to the fact the Tories are on course for a majority they will conspire such that the Tories do not get a majority.

Everything tells me that the Tories are in a very poor position and are widely unloved.
    I do not know I was at a family event over the weekend, school caretaker, teaching assistant, retired, company directors, chef from level below michelin, etc.

Almost to a person Boris was showing leadership to sort the children out. I was also surprised at the strength of the we voted out, so it must be out. This was the Tory shires and it is anecdotal as well, but I stick to my view very committed pro-EU types will never forgive Boris, but the rest will give him a go.
  • Interesting

There is a wooden bridge that allows access across the River Lossie in Lossiemouth to the lovely East Beach that has been deemed dangerous and has been closed for safety. It has caused a stir in the community as they value their access but £500,000 is needed to restore it

Well, today the SNP have announced funding for a new bridge to resolve the problem

Of course Douglas Ross (conservative) is their mp

Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

Labour are not committed to a referendum on any deal they agree. And it is not a binary choice.

You're out-of-date on that, IIUC. Their current position is for a renegotiation followed by a referendum, with a Remain option.
    Or a time perhaps?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

ab195 said:

It beats me why Labour are still ahead of the LDs but that's how it is apparently.
    Corbyn could offer to slaughter all the first born and he'd still get 20%
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    What time do we expect the vote do people know?
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    kinabalu said:

10ish
  • 349 suicide deaths in Wales of mainly men in the last 12 months

That is dreadful
    Just as Jared O’Mara stages a remarkable recovery, Boris Johnson looks deeply ill.
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

ab195 said:

It beats me why Labour are still ahead of the LDs but that's how it is apparently.
    Corbyn could offer to slaughter all the first born and he'd still get 20%
    Here we go again. First born every bloody time. I feel picked on.
  • HEHE

• malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    Gabs2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Gabs2 said:

I am secular so don't believe in any of it, but from the starting premises it is very logical. In fact that is one of the problems of the fundamentalists. They follow logic wherever it goes, even if you get to stupid situations like being able to get in a lift but not being able to press the button.

You were talking bollox
  • Byronic said:

It’s too late. Remainers scent total victory. They won’t hold back now.

Brace.
    It is the pendulum effect and if that is true, the "fault" lies with the ERG and all the other tossers who thought they would position themselves one way in the referendum, and then as soon as they got their narrow victory thought they would stick bells and whistles on it and to hell with everyone else
    Exactly. The defeat of the remain Goliath by the leave Davids in 2016 - much against everyone's expectations - was a necessary but not sufficient condition for the delivery of Brexit. The leavers had no clear plan for leaving and the remain forces, though shocked and cowed, were not completely vanquished - they felt that the narrowness of the result and the need to preserve national unity would lead the leavers to propose a soft Brexit - staying in the EU economic structure but leaving the political structure, the kind of Norway solution which many leavers had promoted during the referendum campaign.

But the victorious leavers overreached themselves - they thought that their victory had transformed them overnight into the political Goliaths who could impose their own extreme version of Brexit even though there was absolutely no evidence that it could command popular support. Even after this was made abundantly clear by the result of the 2017 election leavers pushed ahead making more and more absurd and unrealistic demands of the EU in the belief that the referendum result was a cast iron guarantee that the UK would leave in all circumstances. irrespective of the damage done in the process. All compromise was scorned, they were determined to force through no deal, and so now we have got to the position in which a deal is impossible and the only options open to us are a no deal departure or the collapse of Brexit. And the latter is now the most likely, it is very, very hard to see an election producing a parliament with a majority for no deal.
    I think it is unlikely but not very very hard. The problem is after an election there wont be a majority for soft Brexit or 2nd ref either (assuming Tory MPs block any Corbyn deal and Labour MPs block any Johnson deal, both of which seem likely).

So we will just go round and round on the never ending grim roundabout.
  • Mr. NorthWales, it is, although I'm a little surprised it isn't higher. The suicide rate is alarmingly high. As you say, it's mostly a male phenomenon (likewise homelessness).

Anyway, I must be off.
  • HYUFD said:

ab195 said:

I do not know I was at a family event over the weekend, school caretaker, teaching assistant, retired, company directors, chef from level below michelin, etc.

Almost to a person Boris was showing leadership to sort the children out. I was also surprised at the strength of the we voted out, so it must be out. This was the Tory shires and it is anecdotal as well, but I stick to my view very committed pro-EU types will never forgive Boris, but the rest will give him a go.

Yep, I’m inclined to agree. And the Tories will be massacred at the subsequent election.

• OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

I can't believe I'm going to have to vote for Corbyn's Labour. Christ.

Nobody has to do anything. You are making a choice that you value the EU more than solidarity with your Jewish compatriots.
    Yeah yeah. I am Jewish you imbecile.
    If you are comfortable voting for someone that commemorates the murderers of Jewish civilians, you do that. Given how much of my family has been killed by anti-Semitism, I could never do that and have a clean conscience.
    This GE is going to boil down to voting for or against a No Deal Brexit. Anything else is noise. I am appalled by anti-Semitism but will probably be voting tactically for my Labour MP because I live in a marginal and the Tory is likely to be hardline Brexit headbanger. I also don't believe for a moment that my MP is an anti-semite.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

Whatever way Brexit winds up going (or even if it doesn't happen at all), I think our unwritten constitution is really showing the strain at the moment and is going to need a serious rethink. I think the bare minimum is:

1) Have a less "inventive" speaker for a while. Actually I don't especially blame Bercow for doing what he sees fit to keep power in Parliament's court, but politicising the position is dangerous for reasons given in this very good debut thread header. (snipped)

2) Also topical at the moment, this Fixed Term Parliament Act is having some knock-on effects that I do not believe were intended, and which I believe are highly corrosive. What was intended to make hung parliaments more politically navigable (by making coalition agreements more easily binding) has in some ways made things worse, with zombie governments unable to function but perhaps unable to call an election either. The 2/3 supermajority thing has also always struck me as quite un-British - I've always hoped it wouldn't be used as a precedent to extend supermajorities into other areas.

3) There's an argument that politicians need to cool it with the referenda for a while. I like the fact that in theory they can break up political stitch-ups between the major parties, and I think e.g. Swiss voters get a much bigger voice about what their country should look like as a result of them, but in practice they don't seem to mesh well with our political system.We need to have a long hard re-think about referenda, how they're called, how they work (especially how "actionable" the question needs to be, access to Civil Service resources for both sides etc) and how both government and parliament should respond to the results.

Your last point I agree with almost unreservedly (though it might still be that the Brexit mess needs another one to resolve).

As for the first point, I think the Speaker controversy arises largely from the coincidence of an irretrievably hung Parliament, and all consuming national issue which cuts across party lines. I think any Speaker would have been deeply unpopular with at least one of the sides in the argument, and Bercow has at least attempted to allow Parliament to speak, rather than let an executive without a real mandate completely dictate events.

If the major parties are going to remain ideological, then messing with the office of the Speaker is merely distraction. I think in that circumstance, only PR would solve things.

I actually quite like the FTPA. Its interaction with the current Parliament has been unfortunate, but see my comments above re the Speaker. Some rewriting of it, to deal with lacunae which have made themselves obvious, and perhaps a modification of the 2/3rds hurdle, are in order
    malcolmg said:

Gabs2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Gabs2 said:

You were talking bollox
    Sometimes the short answers are the most incisive.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Rayner needs to slow down. Jesus.
  • HYUFD said:

ab195 said:

That's not been my experience but if the facts change I will change my opinion.

I am mainly interested in correctly judging markets at the moment to make money.
    edited September 2019

Interesting

There is a wooden bridge that allows access across the River Lossie in Lossiemouth to the lovely East Beach that has been deemed dangerous and has been closed for safety. It has caused a stir in the community as they value their access but £500,000 is needed to restore it

Well, today the SNP have announced funding for a new bridge to resolve the problem

Yes G, and I bet the Tory offered nothing , zilch , nada. They can only carp from the sidelines. That balloon Carlaw today in reply to the Government programme could only say "unlike Nicola Sturgeon I do not dye my hair", they are deplorable.
    PS I have never heard or seen any utterance from Ross, he must be one of their silent donkeys.

HYUFD said:

ab195 said:

Yep, I’m inclined to agree. And the Tories will be massacred at the subsequent election.

Agreed. 2024 = 1997 on steroids
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Boris will be delighted with the BBC six. All about No Surrender by Bojo

Meanwhile the optics shown are EU flags flying above Parliament Sq and T May chortling over Boris’ discomfort (apparently)

Could easily be wrong, but I think this plays very well for BJ

• Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

For example see the letter quoted in https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/09/jeremy-corbyn-calls-second-brexit-referendum-says-labour-backs-remain-10137078/
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745

I also suspect Conservative support is a mile wide and an inch deep and when details of Boris's Beyond Brexit Brainwaves come out support will fall away. His rehashed Thatcherism will go down like a lump of cold sick in most places.

As for YouGov, it had the LDs at 17 then 21 and now 16 - completely hopeless. The Conservatives edge up as Farage is silenced but that will change if we get a GE.

• BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979

Is it my imagination or does TMay have a "fuck you Boris" expression on her face?
    No, of course not, I think someone just said something funny. May and Clarke didn't just sit there giggling all the way through it because of some uncontrollable schadenfreude inspired tic. They're not Dreyfuss out of Pink Panther.
    It wouldn't surprise me if Mrs May voted with Ken Clarke tonight and loses the Tory whip. This would emphasise that the Tory Party has been temporarily taken over by BXP infiltraitors but the genuine Tory Party is still alive and kicking and is getting organised.
  • HYUFD said:

ab195 said:

so a normal election then
    It could simply be 2017 all over again but still further polarised too.

I'm not sure what that means in terms of seats. But I'm not sure if Corbyn would be an obstacle if it's the only way to block Boris in parts.

Of course, the converse would apply elsewhere.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    So..., have we reached the end of days of this government yet?
    Byronic said:

Meanwhile the optics shown are EU flags flying above Parliament Sq and T May chortling over Boris’ discomfort (apparently)

“This is my analysis. And if you don’t like it, I have others.”
  • kle4 said:

Not yet, we might tonight if Mrs May votes against the government and has the whip removed.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Gabs2 said:

Why is it only his Sundays we have to copy - if we are doing that why don't we also create heaven and earth every Monday?
    Not with our productivity levels.

Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

You're out-of-date on that, IIUC. Their current position is for a renegotiation followed by a referen dum, with a Remain option.
    For example see the letter quoted in https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/09/jeremy-corbyn-calls-second-brexit-referendum-says-labour-backs-remain-10137078/
    Repeated on the telly last night too
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Byronic said:

No, I don’t. I expect a significant poll shift to the Tories. If I’m wrong, shoot me. Metaphorically
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

kle4 said:

Not yet, we might tonight if Mrs May votes against the government and has the whip removed.
    Is there any chance of that happening?
    Barnesian said:

Is it my imagination or does TMay have a "fuck you Boris" expression on her face?
    No, of course not, I think someone just said something funny. May and Clarke didn't just sit there giggling all the way through it because of some uncontrollable schadenfreude inspired tic. They're not Dreyfuss out of Pink Panther.
    It wouldn't surprise me if Mrs May voted with Ken Clarke tonight and loses the Tory whip. This would emphasise that the Tory Party has been temporarily taken over by BXP infiltraitors but the genuine Tory Party is still alive and kicking and is getting organised.
    That's an amusing one. They are all real Tories, but the current crop leading the way are definitely more demonstrative of what the party wants and stands for than May and definitely Clarke. They are the genuine deal, the party has just changed is all.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Well I never thought bracknell would ever have a Lib Dem MP having been Lib Dem Town Mayor of Sandhurst 95/96 he and Sarah Wollaston share several things in common bother being GPS and both selected in open primaries. I doubt the tories will try that again.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545

HYUFD said:

ab195 said:

On any measure Johnson's government is extremely chaotic. Unless these people approve of chaos or think competence is an overrated virtue in a government...
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    edited September 2019

Chris said:

Well, not immediately.

HYUFD said:

ab195 said:

Agreed. 2024 = 1997 on steroids
    Eh, fair price to pay for such an extended period in office, if they manage it. Frankly after so long in office you probably need a political massacre to rejuvenate.
  • malcolmg said:

Interesting

Yes G, and I bet the Tory offered nothing , zilch , nada. They can only carp from the sidelines. That balloon Carlaw today in reply to the Government programme could only say "unlike Nicola Sturgeon I do not dye my hair", they are deplorable.
    PS I have never heard or seen any utterance from Ross, he must be one of their silent donkeys.
    He seems to be popular with the fishermen
    Corbyn Benn demanding an extension but offering no input into why or what should happen will be a factor at any GE. There is genuine despair imo at parliaments inability to agree any way forward. Despair that is ready to become anger and accordingly votes against the rebels
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

kinabalu said:

10ish
    Cheers thanks
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

ab195 said:

On any measure Johnson's government is extremely chaotic. Unless these people approve of chaos or think competence is an overrated virtue in a government...
    People gave May's government large leads even as it demonstrated extreme chaos and incompetence too - the British public love a good trolling when it comes to how much we will back things.

Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

Note the language: "put their deal to voters". Their position is a referendum on a Tory Brexit. A Labour Brexit would be grand and wise and not need a referendum.

• Repeated on the telly last night too

Clearly totally not communicated though, not only did Gab2 who reads pb not know, it was also quite hard work finding a source that explained the current position, not one of the previous ones. (I used duckduckgo, maybe google would have worked better).
  • Gabs2 said:

Chris said:

THAN the authoritarian right wing
    The ORANGE Book
    Sorry political colour blindness there. Orange does sound more appealing. thank you for the correctionl
  • kle4 said:

No
  • Barnesian said:

I do hope she does, but I doubt it. Interesting that she is sitting with him though
  • kle4 said:

Well someone texted me 20 mins ago about the potential of it happening.

I cannot see it happening (but as her Premiership showed she would do anything to avoid No Deal because as a Unionist she thinks it will trigger the end of the Union.)
  • Byronic said:

Byronic said:

No, I don’t. I expect a significant poll shift to the Tories. If I’m wrong, shoot me. Metaphorically

Then why on earth do you think Brexit is finished? It’s pretty clear there’s going to be an election. It’s likely the Tories will win it and, when they do, we’ll leave.

• justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited September 2019

This one will get the "changes from GE2017" treatment...

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1168923257875181571

Another very thin comfort blanket poll to get Tory loyalists through the impending night.
    This matches the highest Labour vote with Yougov since mid-May - and is also the lowest LD vote share with this pollster. Labour entered the 2017 campaign with a 23% rating from Yougov.
    dr_spyn said:
    He might consider himself well enough to return to work, but there does seem something not right with the man.
  • malcolmg said:

Gabs2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Gabs2 said:

You were talking bollox
    Sometimes the short answers are the most incisive.
    Bit rich coming from Malcolmg though. He normally speaks more nonsensical bollox than anyone on here

Clearly totally not communicated though, not only did Gab2 who reads pb not know, it was also quite hard work finding a source that explained the current position, not one of the previous ones. (I used duckduckgo, maybe google would have worked better).
    Granted!

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Then why on earth do you think Brexit is finished? It’s pretty clear there’s going to be an election. It’s likely the Tories will win it and, when they do, we’ll leave.

Sounds like there is a majority against an election.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    edited September 2019
    Gabs2 said:

Note the language: "put their deal to voters". Their position is a referendum on a Tory Brexit. A Labour Brexit would be grand and wise and not need a referendum.

Nope, read it again. It's a referendum (that's what putting it back to the people in a public vote means) whoever the PM is. Then then say they'd back Remain in that referendum if it's No Deal or a Tory Brexit. The part they're still being vague about is whether they'd campaign for or against their own deal, but they're now clear they'd have a referendum on it.

You're thinking of their previous position.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009

Chris said:

What a strange thing to say. Surely it's a good illustration of the fact that there aren't any hurdles!
    kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:
    He might consider himself well enough to return to work, but there does seem something not right with the man.
    He smells an election, he can stand, lose and live high on the hog on his pension
  • kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:
    Is there a benefit being the sitting mp at an October election

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

These sudden shifts from triumph to despair remind me of a previous poster .
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited September 2019
    Total triumph for the Remainers today - the LDs acquiring a fine upstanding loyal conservative MP, MP after MP lining up to to give the the public another 3 months of Brexit delay with the generous present of £3+ Bn to the EU that that entails plus the lovely spectacle of remainers loyalty waving the blue and yellow whilst shouting over media interviews.

Surely the public will warm to this festival of wondrous news ?

malcolmg said:

Interesting

He seems to be popular with the fishermen
    Small clique of rich Tories G, as I say I had not heard of him till you put his name up , invisible like the rest of them. They really do nothing for Scotland.
  • Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Leaver paranoia or Leaver irrationality. Take your pick lol.
    dr_spyn said:
    Are 7% really going to vote Green ?

Gabs2 said:

Nope, read it again. It's a referendum (that's what putting it back to the people in a public vote means) whoever the PM is. Then then say they'd back Remain in that referendum if it's No Deal or a Tory Brexit. The part they're still being vague about is whether they'd campaign for or against their own deal, but they're now clear they'd have a referendum on it.

You're thinking of their previous position.
    It says whoever becomes "the new Prime Minister", specifically referring to the choice between Hunt and Johnson, not whoever becomes PM at any point in the future.
  • Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

There’s a majority against an election that might cause a No Deal before the vote happens. Once that is resolved we’ll be going to the polls.

• ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:
    I thought everyone knew. According to his Wikipedia page:
    "He has cerebral palsy, hemiparesis and is on the autism spectrum."

kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:
    I swear there used to be more of a parachute payment if you lost an election vs stood down, but I believe that was changed a few years ago.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Gab2 is just trolling .
    The position for sometime for Labour is , no to no deal ,any deal put to a referendum with remain on the ballot.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    dr_spyn said:
    I am warming to O'Mara.

I like the idea of all those LibDems with nothing better to do canvassing in Crookes (where else for the LibDems).

Just waiting for O'Mara to resign. "Ha, Fooled you, fooled you", O'Mara says. "I'm really well"
  • kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:
    Has his doctor signed him off the sick? Has his employer assessed him as fit enough to work? He's been off a while so some form of back to work programme would be in order. Or is it all a load of old bollocks that MPs can milk?
    I fecking hate Westminster and at the risk of going all Kevin Keegan, I'm absolutely loving watching it all rot around them.
    Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:
    No, they wont field more than 250 candidates in all likelihood
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:
    I swear there used to be more of a parachute payment if you lost an election vs stood down, but I believe that was changed a few years ago.
    Nick Palmer pointed out yesterday there is an additional £13,000 or so if you contest the election.

Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

There’s a majority against an election that might cause a No Deal before the vote happens. Once that is resolved we’ll be going to the polls.

It is clear there is a majority for Corbyn's extension bill to pass. That will extend Brexit for another three months and there will be a majority against an election until that deadline comes up. Then the same thing will happen again.
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:
    I wasn't referring to his physical and general mental health concerns, as he would no doubt say himself you can still do the job with those concerns, but about his behaviour, record as an MP etc etc.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:
    No add 5% to Lab.
  • Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:
    Oh yes. Things have changed the last two years.
    Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:
    Possibly. They got 18% across the South West in the EU elections, and obviously it would be a lot less than that given the voting system, not as many candidates and so on, but if Labour are to do badly, its possible to see the Greens doing pretty well.

Though personally I think the 'hold the nose and vote Labour' pull will be strong.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:
    I wasn't referring to his physical and general mental health concerns, as he would no doubt say himself you can still do the job with those concerns, but about his behaviour, record as an MP etc etc.
    After what we have seen from MPs over the last 2 years, O'Mara seems quite balanced and well-suited to the place.
    Yorkcity said:

Gab2 is just trolling .
    The position for sometime for Labour is , no to no deal ,any deal put to a referendum with remain on the ballot.
    Point me to somewhere, anywhere, where Labour say that a Labour government would put their deal to a referendum. You won't be able to because they haven't. Corbyn's position is that Tory PMs should put Tory deals to the voters, but Labour deals should not have to.
  • Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

It is clear there is a majority for Corbyn's extension bill to pass. That will extend Brexit for another three months and there will be a majority against an election until that deadline comes up. Then the same thing will happen again.
    Meanwhile Boris's genius idea of threatening to deselect MPs may cause additional defections. POBWAS

kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:
    Has his doctor signed him off the sick? Has his employer assessed him as fit enough to work? He's been off a while so some form of back to work programme would be in order. Or is it all a load of old bollocks that MPs can milk?
    I fecking hate Westminster and at the risk of going all Kevin Keegan, I'm absolutely loving watching it all rot around them.
    TWS it is Westminster, they can bring them in, at death's door, on a stretcher. Place is a cesspit.

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:
    After what we have seen from MPs over the last 2 years, O'Mara seems quite balanced and well-suited to the place.
    No he doesn't, not even then.

Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Meanwhile Boris's genius idea of threatening to deselect MPs may cause additional defections. POBWAS
    He's thinking long term - proof of his obeisance to the Brexit Party and hoping votes gained there overcomes attempts to unite a fragile remain alliance of LD/Lab/Nationalists and former Tories.
  • Chris said:

Chris said:

What a strange thing to say. Surely it's a good illustration of the fact that there aren't any hurdles!
    There are hurdles in values and principles.

They are completely different parties. Switching is never easy (except perhaps for Sarah Wollaston).
    eek said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:
    Nick Palmer pointed out yesterday there is an additional £13,000 or so if you contest the election.
    Not to be sniffed at. Surprised Onasanya didn't go for it.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    TGOHF said:

Total triumph for the Remainers today - the LDs acquiring a fine upstanding loyal conservative MP, MP after MP lining up to to give the the public another 3 months of Brexit delay with the generous present of £3+ Bn to the EU that that entails plus the lovely spectacle of remainers loyalty waving the blue and yellow whilst shouting over media interviews.

Surely the public will warm to this festival of wondrous news ?

Tis a boost for Johnson.

Cant see him lasting 6 weeks of scrutiny a GE brings though
  • Well, I'm in Parliament Square to protest against Johnson, his prorogation and drive for no-deal Brexit, one more body to be counted, but - Lord above - left-wing speeches are dull.
This discussion has been closed.