Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris Johnson loses his first Parliamentary vote, no wonder he

Comments

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    How many of those were planning to stand again?

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

So not close after all. Maybe 12 Tories voting against the government? But we have a resolution under the FTPA which the opposition are not going to vote for. This farce stopped being funny longer ago than Monty Python.

Edit 21. Blimey. Completely ungovernable.

If only anyone had had any thoughts on June 2016 that this might happen.
    I don’t think that I ever believed that the Euro fanatics would let this go easily. But they have slowly gathered some courage from somewhere and stopped snivelling. It’s taken 3 years but they have got there.
  • Options

Armando Iannucci will never work again if Boris proposes VoNC in himself and then whips to vote for it.

Its how they do it in Germany.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    All the right people are rattled tonight. Great success I’d say.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    And I'm sure she'll be devastated by this sad result.

In your crazy world.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited September 2019
    Just heard the news

Boris should do the following

Suspend the suspensions

Accept the no deal bill and obtain RA

Stand at the dispatch box and confirm that the election will take place on the 15th October

Seek the HOC consent for the GE

Oh - and sack Cummings
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Was Bozo a traitor the twice he voted against May?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Byronic said:

How long can Corbyn credibly resist the offer of a cleansing election? Not long. Mere days, I suggest.

As long as A50 is extended or revoked first, bring it on.

Bozo, Cummings and Lord Snooty have managed to make Jezza look like a statesman. Tough job, well done!
    They've made Jezzer looks like an anti-Brexiteer. But its too late to garner any votes from that as the LDs are now squatting there...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    Pulpstar said:

Bebb, Benyon, Brine, Burt, Clark, Clarke, Gauke, Greening, Grieve, Gyimah, Hammond, Hammond, Harrington, James, Lee, Letwin, Milton, Nokes, Sandbach, Soames, Stewart, Vaizey are the 22 rebels.

Kate Hoey & John Mann 2 rebels on the Labour side.

Austin, Lewis & Elphicke joined the Gov't as independents
    Allen, Berger, Boles, Field, Hermon!, Lloyd, Shuker, Smith joined the opposition as independents.

Gov't majority is now -45 I assume if all 22 will lose the whip

Like I predicted, Labour rebels <5, not including Skinner. Good to see Berger, Field, Hermon and Shuker among the Yes votes. Personally, I'd be very pleased to see Berger and Shuker rejoin Labour. Field, I think, is one of nature's natural independents - I'd be surprised if he joined anyone again.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Can we please have an election so that we have resolution one way or another.

Yes. These childish games are tiresome.
    You and @rcs1000 bemoaning the sorry state this country is in.
    Robert joining me in condemning the labour MPs elected to respect the referendum result then voting against every way of leaving was tonight’s personal high point. The predictable lack of condemnation of his view was beautiful.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Foxy said:

Byronic said:

How long can Corbyn credibly resist the offer of a cleansing election? Not long. Mere days, I suggest.

Bozo, Cummings and Lord Snooty have managed to make Jezza look like a statesman. Tough job, well done!
    You will get your wish
  • Options
    Siri - what does privileged, arrogant, entitlement look like?
    https://twitter.com/annaturley/status/1168980398166237185?s=21
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    This is for the Boris FTPA election vote? They can vote for it, safe in knowledge that needs 2/3.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,583

Leadsome just suggested rebels will NOT lose the whip.

Bojo's government weak and frit!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,658
    edited September 2019
    isam said:

The public were told their decision was final in the EU referendum. THEIR decision, NOT politicians.

They voted to leave.

MPs have voted 4 times to prevent it

I don't follow your point. The public being told things doesn't change the law, and we will no doubt very shortly get the opportunity for the public to express their outrage. They might well do so.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    HYUFD said:
    I understand why you're lashing out. Had you been an MP you would also have had to vote with your conscience against the government.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

A GE atm would see us right back to where we started ie stalemate.
    As a result of tonights vote there are now only two possible outcomes, a GE or revoke. Any chance of any sort of negotiated deal is now dead.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

This is excellent tactics by Boris, tonight in prime time on BBC1 and ITV and the news channels all the coverage was of Boris promising to deliver Brexit Deal or No Deal and of Corbyn committing to try and ban No Deal Brexit and extend again, costing him potentially millions of Labour Leave voters in the process whether to the Tories or the Brexit Party

Yes and Corbyn being very wishy washy on an election after spending two years demanding one looks absolutely dreadful...
    It does indeed, almost a Tory PPB tonight
    Voters will look at Corbyn now and see a slimey, politico back-slider.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,950
    Foxy said:

Byronic said:

They have actually made Jezza look far from the voice of the people a la 2017 but now the voice of the establishment defying the will of the people. He will never recover from tonight in Leave areas in the North and Midlands
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,804

Hubris leads to Nemesis.

High speed rail now connects Hubris and Nemesis in record time. A Grayling success story.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    DougSeal said:

Henry Zeffman @hzeffman
    now
    21 TORY REBELS

Bebb
    Benyon
    Brine
    Burt
    Clark
    Clarke
    Gauke
    Greening
    Grieve
    Gyimah
    Hammond P
    Hammond S
    Harrington
    James
    Letwin
    Milton
    Nokes
    Sandbach
    Soames
    Stewart
    Vaizey

2 LABOUR REBELS

Hoey
    Mann

7 fewer Tories lost tonight than May's election.

So long!
    Apparently they are not losing the whip after all. Weird - I thought BJ was strictly a man of his word.
    When danger reared its ugly head, Sir Boris bravely turned his tail and fled:

https://youtu.be/BZwuTo7zKM8
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,911
    Andrea Leadsom to believe that Pathetic Bunter has folded on removing the whip from the Tory rebellion.

Absolutely first class bottling by Bottler Billy Bunter, Mug Punter.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Unlikely.

If a GE returned the same number of MPs by party as last time it would be a Tory+DUP effective majority on a vote like tonight. Each party will be 'purer' next time.
    I think the BXP and the LDs will cancel themselves out. Plus Nigel has a narrative: don't trust the Tories to deliver Brexit.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

This is excellent tactics by Boris, tonight in prime time on BBC1 and ITV and the news channels all the coverage was of Boris promising to deliver Brexit Deal or No Deal and of Corbyn committing to try and ban No Deal Brexit and extend again, costing him potentially millions of Labour Leave voters in the process whether to the Tories or the Brexit Party

So he set out to lose tonight?
    He lost the battle to win the war, this was exactly the image Cummings wanted, MPs voting to enable the blocking of Brexit against the wishes of the PM
    Again, you’re saying he deliberately lost the vote tonight?
    He is saying it was framed in such a way that it didnt matter whether he lost or not.

"Head i win, tails you lose". And STILL you people dont understand....
    Several people on multiple occasions over recent weeks have suggested Boris wanted parliament to stop him so he could have a parliament vs the people election, that if they could not stop him he gets no deal and if they stop him he gets an election he can win, so stick your arrogant sanctimony about how 'you people' do not understand where it belongs. Some just disagree.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Boris is a surprisingly poor at the despatch box. Not sure it matters much these days but he doesn’t sound particularly confident.

Boris was brilliant, clear, decisive and with a snappy message, Brexit with me Deal or No Deal, or no Brexit with Corbyn
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

The public were told their decision was final in the EU referendum. THEIR decision, NOT politicians.

They voted to leave.

MPs have voted 4 times to prevent it

I don't follow your point. The public being told things doesn't change the law, and we will no doubt very shortly get the opportunity for the public to express their outrage. They might well do so.
    A basic lack of understanding. "Parliamentary Sovereignty" is something so often championed by people who have no idea what it is.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Consent withheld until GE secured?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    TOPPING said:

I'm not convinced. I have a feeling the country will swing very decisively one way or another... Either to end this constant debate by giving Boris a majority to implement Brexit... Or by giving Corbyn a mjaority to stop Brexit.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

As a result of tonights vote there are now only two possible outcomes, a GE or revoke. Any chance of any sort of negotiated deal is now dead.
    Maybe. But who wouldn't jump at another go at the WA?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

Cummings playing 4D chess alright.
    It's a shame the game is tennis.
  • Options

Just heard the news

Suspend the suspensions

Stand at the dispatch box and confirm that the election will take place on the 15th October

Oh - and sack Cummings

You would make a much wiser advisor to the PM than Mr Cummings.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Just heard the news

Suspend the suspensions

Oh - and sack Cummings

Well, quite.
  • Options

All the right people are rattled tonight. Great success I’d say.

It is clear you dont understand what has happened.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,100
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

They have actually made Jezza look far from the voice of the people a la 2017 but now the voice of the establishment defying the will of the people
    Does Google Translate speak HYUFD?
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Was Bozo a traitor the twice he voted against May?
    Did he vote against her in a confidence motion?
  • Options

Playing with himself, more likely.

This is ridiculous. How can anybody think this shower could govern?
    Millions upon millions do and will think that.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1168999813846896647?s=20

Theresa in the end was no traitor, unlike some of her colleagues

So the MPs doing what, according to you, Boris wanted them to do are traitors?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Most likely not. The parties this time around would be elected under such terms that one has to consider it likely that a majority either to prosecute Brexit or to wriggle out of it would emerge.
  • Options

You'd like to think that he might be reflecting that that champagne party after he and his fellow morons voted against Brexit was just maybe a mistake. But he’s too arrogant.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The floggings will continue until morale improves.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

They have actually made Jezza look far from the voice of the people a la 2017 but now the voice of the establishment defying the will of the people
    Seems pretty clear to me.

And spot on.....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    Byronic said:

Monday, I suggest.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Well who'd have guessed it?! Another TSE article telling us all that Johnson is a Bozo and a loser. What a surprise Meanwhile con maj odds at the next GE continue to shorten....

Into the echo chamber....

As 2015 and 2017 have shown the betting markets known fuck all about British GEs or do you live in the reality where Ed Miliband won most seats in 2015 and May got a large majority in 2017?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Is that a trick question? Virtually everyone.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Good. If we are to have realignment, let’s get on with it. Enough faffing. WE DON’T HAVE ANY TIME LEFT
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    And Andrea Leadsom has been demoted to tea lady ...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Boris is a surprisingly poor at the despatch box. Not sure it matters much these days but he doesn’t sound particularly confident.

Boris was brilliant, clear, decisive and with a snappy message, Brexit with me Deal or No Deal, or no Brexit with Corbyn
    Corbyn's message is a Labour deal. It will resonate as the only deal to date, a Tory deal, has been shown to be a fiasco.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

So he set out to lose tonight?
    He lost the battle to win the war, this was exactly the image Cummings wanted, MPs voting to enable the blocking of Brexit against the wishes of the PM
    Again, you’re saying he deliberately lost the vote tonight?
    He is saying it was framed in such a way that it didnt matter whether he lost or not.

"Head i win, tails you lose". And STILL you people dont understand....
    Several people on multiple occasions over recent weeks have suggested Boris wanted parliament to stop him so he could have a parliament vs the people election, that if they could not stop him he gets no deal and if they stop him he gets an election he can win, so stick your arrogant sanctimony about how 'you people' do not understand where it belongs. Some just disagree.
    Well you clearly do!
  • Options

Henry Zeffman @hzeffman
    now
    21 TORY REBELS

Bebb
    Benyon
    Brine
    Burt
    Clark
    Clarke
    Gauke
    Greening
    Grieve
    Gyimah
    Hammond P
    Hammond S
    Harrington
    James
    Letwin
    Milton
    Nokes
    Sandbach
    Soames
    Stewart
    Vaizey

2 LABOUR REBELS

Hoey
    Mann

So long!
    What's the size of the pure core that you are aiming for?
  • Options
    BBC Scotland doing a wee background visualisation of BJ Brexit for ye.

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1168999591049662464?s=20
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Corbyn the Marxist now on the side of Parliament's establishment against the people...

What would Tony Bean have said about that...
  • Options
    You can survive a lot of setbacks, but a loss of respect is usually fatal.

Our current govt might want to reflect on that.
  • Options

Andrea Leadsom to believe that Pathetic Bunter has folded on removing the whip from the Tory rebellion.

He hasnt folded.

It is tactics. Do you really not understand that?!
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    HYUFD said:

If that is true, and I’m not saying it isn’t, is it important to now secure that election soonest to cash in on the moment? How long does such a moment last until it’s replaced by another moment, such as the moment Boris will find himself in next month if there isn’t a GE?
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    The Commons voting confidence in a government they have defeated on their main policy is a joke. The FTPA truly was constitutional vandalism. It should be scrapped ASAP..
  • Options

Rees-Mogg is going to regret that image for a long time.
  • Options

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

Seems pretty clear to me.

And spot on.....
    Go on then - tell us what it means!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

It wasn't exactly Churchillian was it? for example this response to Ken Clarke:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1168906137506385926?s=09

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Corbyn the Marxist now on the side of Parliament's establishment against the people...

What would Tony Bean have said about that...
    They have been saying for months that a general election was a priority before a referendum. Now they oppose one?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    So are they losing the whip or not? To not do it now will be fatal after all of the warnings.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    edited September 2019
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

I would but they won't. Corbyn wants his election and the Remainers want revocation. Neither group will now support the WA.
  • Options
    I think Boris is getting a sharp lesson tonight in not having it all his own way.

His disdain for people whose votes he needs has resulted in a worse-than-inevitable defeat in the HoC, which may be a useful take-out for him ahead of a general election campaign. He’ll probably have most of the (sizeable) Farage crowd eating from his hand, but a lot of moderate, business-minded people will not feel obliged to meet him halfway.

Meanwhile, the HoC looks like treating him in much the way a cat does a captive mouse. Not willing to kill him off because it gets more utility from a still-wriggling near-corpse.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited September 2019
  • Options

No, Rees Mogg a Patriot unlike MPs like Turley showing true arrogance, entitlement, disrespect and contempt for the will of the people
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    edited September 2019
    Hope OGH's hearing aid was working for Johnson's humiliation.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Most likely not. The parties this time around would be elected under such terms that one has to consider it likely that a majority either to prosecute Brexit or to wriggle out of it would emerge.
    Jezza still gets to befuddle. Vote for us for a Labour deal.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390

Rees-Mogg is going to regret that image for a long time.
    One for the thread headers to come.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes. These childish games are tiresome.
    You and @rcs1000 bemoaning the sorry state this country is in.

The country is fine. It’s suffering moderate damage because our political class cannot make a decision but it will survive. Needs a better political class though.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

He hasnt folded.

I usually deprecate foul language, but I am pretty certain I speak for the vast majority of the PB community in inviting you to fuck off.

Permanently.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Playing with himself, more likely.

This is ridiculous. How can anybody think this shower could govern?
    Millions upon millions do and will think that.
    Crazy times.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

They have actually made Jezza look far from the voice of the people a la 2017 but now the voice of the establishment defying the will of the people. He will never recover from tonight in Leave areas in the North and Midlands
    Quite.

Corbyn has no chance of getting close to a majority now. Odds on a Con maj have shortened over the last 24 hours.

I think we could be looking at a Lab wipeout. Losing seats in the NW and Midlands to the Cons, and in the scotland , the south, university towns and the west to the LDs.
  • Options

It isn't a characteristic of charismatic election winning leaders backed up by strategic geniuses to lose their first vote whilst splitting their party.
    It is when it wins the PR war
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

This is the what the entitled establishment looks like:

https://twitter.com/annaturley/status/1168980398166237185?s=20
  • Options
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635
    I've been having fun all day. I just got back in. It appears something has happened of great import. I would ask you to describe it but I suspect by the time you finished writing it will have changed again. I shall just assume its a massive clusterfuck and go on from there... :(
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    MaxPB said:

So are they losing the whip or not? To not do it now will be fatal after all of the warnings.

They can't threaten it and then not do it.

That's worse than May.
  • Options

He hasnt folded.

Would it be an exaggeration to say he holds all the cards, do you think?
  • Options
    It would be ironic if the only way Boris gets his Brexit majority is by Scotland leaving.
  • Options
    There was clearly no u-turn.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

I would but they won't. Corbyn wants his election and the Remainers want revocation. Neither group will now support the WA.
    Yes. Remainers, understandably, have their dander up. They won’t stop, now, til Brexit is killed off. And they will likely succeed.
  • Options

Henry Zeffman @hzeffman
    now
    21 TORY REBELS

Bebb
    Benyon
    Brine
    Burt
    Clark
    Clarke
    Gauke
    Greening
    Grieve
    Gyimah
    Hammond P
    Hammond S
    Harrington
    James
    Letwin
    Milton
    Nokes
    Sandbach
    Soames
    Stewart
    Vaizey

2 LABOUR REBELS

Hoey
    Mann

So long!
    What's the size of the pure core that you are aiming for?
    325+ willing to vote with the whip on confidence matters.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Gabs2 said:

It would be ironic if the only way Boris gets his Brexit majority is by Scotland leaving.
    Scotland won't leave in time to save Boris...
  • Options
    I think the goal of the Johnson/Cummings administration has been to provoke a 'people vs the politicians' election and from that point of view perhaps today is indeed a case of a lost battle but a step towards winning the war, as others suggest. However, if parliament manages to hold off demands for an election until a delay is forced on the government, then it gets hard to see BXP staying out of the election, and with Remainers emboldened the strategy of uniting the right and splitting the left looks in jeopardy. Even more so with the Tory party starting to fracture.

My sense is the next step in this game is the government advising HMQ not to give assent to the delay bill, which will be when the constitutional shit really hits the fan.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Has he given the dog a good kicking?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

They all need to sit down, have a cup of tea and think about it for a bit.
  • Options

I think Boris is getting a sharp lesson tonight in not having it all his own way.

His disdain for people whose votes he needs has resulted in a worse-than-inevitable defeat in the HoC, which may be a useful take-out for him ahead of a general election campaign. He’ll probably have most of the (sizeable) Farage crowd eating from his hand, but a lot of moderate, business-minded people will not feel obliged to meet him halfway.

Meanwhile, the HoC looks like treating him in much the way a cat does a captive mouse. Not willing to kill him off because it gets more utility from a still-wriggling near-corpse.

Again this must have been entirely expected from the moment he started talking about "do or die" on 31st October. Sooner or later it was going to come to the crunch when this Parliament would vote to take no deal of the table.

If he'd wanted to compromise he could have done. This is entirely what was expected to happen and its now Parliament Vs The Poeple and Parliament has written his script for him.
  • Options
    Chris said:

He hasnt folded.

Would it be an exaggeration to say he holds all the cards, do you think?
    He is playing a poor hand pretty well.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

The entitled establishment has again defied the will of the people tonight but their day of reckoning will soon be coming!!!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

Quite.

Corbyn has no chance of getting close to a majority now. Odds on a Con maj have shortened over the last 24 hours.

I think we could be looking at a Lab wipeout. Losing seats in the NW and Midlands to the Cons, and in the scotland , the south, university towns and the west to the LDs.
    Very likely yes
  • Options
    Rees-Mogg is not adapting well to ministerial office. That photo will become iconic.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

The entitled establishment has again defied the will of the people tonight but their day of reckoning will soon be coming!!!
    What will you do if the people re-elect the entitled establishment?
This discussion has been closed.