Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A closer look at one of tonight’s local council by elections

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

My other half just signed up as a Lib Dem member!

They must be a traitor diehard Remainer. You should dump them forthwith!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

The outrage over this is pretty obviously a partisan level one. A Conservative would defend it, and a Labour person condemn it, and if Corbyn were to give a speech in front of police officers Labour would defend it and a Conservative person condemn it.
    Meh, I'm a Tory and I condemn it. Photoshoots with a couple of officers, fine... but having them all lined up behind you while you drone on about something unrelated to policing? There's something decidedly un-British about that.
    Outliers in all things. Cannot say I like it either, but the level of outrage seems attached to people's dislike of Boris, it is all out of proportion.
    There is a weird kind of piling on going on this week, it's very bizarre. I think it will go too far at some point and a sympathy response kick in. It's a feeding frenzy right now which is unseemly in a time of crisis
    Pity is the emotion that politicians fear most. Not that Boris Johnson deserves any.
    As the weekend polls will show Boris won't need any, Corbyn might though and I will have no sympathy for him certainly
    If the polls are good for him why will Labour give him an election?
    Quite. If the polls are terrible there is no incentive to go for an election. That was the same for a government before the FTPA and is equally true of the opposition now. If HY is right it is much less likely there will be an election so current polling matters not a bit.
    Not if SNP give Boris his mid Oct election.
    Not happening . The opposition will agree an election but not till an extension has been agreed .
    ITV news has reported today Boris will refuse to go to Brussels to ask for an extension even if the Commons votes for it and the Queen has to give it royal assent, Boris will ensure only the hands of Corbyn and diehard Remainers are on the betrayal of the will of the people, not his
    Jesmondo in Downing St then?
    No, Boris will stay in No 10 unless he loses a VONC and Swinson would of course veto a Corbyn premiership
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:
    Bibi no doubt offering him advice on how he keeps winning elections despite being loathed by the liberal left
    I just realised that TGOHF and HYUFD are different people.
    One stands for The Ghost Of Harry Flashman, the other for Have You Used Fallacious Data.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

The outrage over this is pretty obviously a partisan level one. A Conservative would defend it, and a Labour person condemn it, and if Corbyn were to give a speech in front of police officers Labour would defend it and a Conservative person condemn it.
    Meh, I'm a Tory and I condemn it. Photoshoots with a couple of officers, fine... but having them all lined up behind you while you drone on about something unrelated to policing? There's something decidedly un-British about that.
    Outliers in all things. Cannot say I like it either, but the level of outrage seems attached to people's dislike of Boris, it is all out of proportion.
    There is a weird kind of piling on going on this week, it's very bizarre. I think it will go too far at some point and a sympathy response kick in. It's a feeding frenzy right now which is unseemly in a time of crisis
    Pity is the emotion that politicians fear most. Not that Boris Johnson deserves any.
    As the weekend polls will show Boris won't need any, Corbyn might though and I will have no sympathy for him certainly
    Quite. If the polls are terriba bit.
    Not happening . The opposition will agree an election but not till an extension has been agreed .
    ITV news has reportedon the betrayal of the will of the people, not his
    What’s he going to do? Resign and let Jezza into no.10?
    No, stay in No 10 and refuse to move and ask Brussels for an extension and he cannot be forced out unless he loses a VONC leading to a general election unless an alternative PM is agreed in 14 days
    Er, he’d be breaking the law.
    Boris can do what he likes as PM which he will stay as unless he loses a VONC.

He has 17 million Leave voters behind him in doing so and taking on the diehard Remainers in Parliament who refuse to respect the will of the people
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Quite. If the polls are terrible there is no incentive to go for an election. That was the same for a government before the FTPA and is equally true of the opposition now. If HY is right it is much less likely there will be an election so current polling matters not a bit.
    ITV news has reported today Boris will refuse to go to Brussels to ask for an extension even if the Commons votes for it and the Queen has to give it royal assent, Boris will ensure only the hands of Corbyn and diehard Remainers are on the betrayal of the will of the people, not his
    Well, that would be him out of office
  • Options

A few minutes ago I donated the national Liberal Democrats for the first time in 7 + years. I
    think the country is locked in a mobilisation/counter-mobilisation cycle.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

I am a ooffice

If you refuse to respect the Brexit vote and Leave Deal or No Deal then sadly BigG you are now a LD, not a conservative
    Indeed,
    +1

True Conservatives will stay in the party’s outer orbit and fight to maintain it as a broad church, anchored to the principles of conservatism and realism it has always espoused.
    them.
    The party hasn’t fundamentally changed. Yet. It’s in the process of a hostile takeover by entryists. And it’s very far from clear if that will succeed.

I’m arguing to stay and fight, and not cut and run.
    In your opinion it has not fundamays be wrong because they have left.

How long should they attempt such a fight? How long is long enough in the outer orbit? It seems mightily reminiscent of all those Labour MPs who loved to moan about Jeremy Corbyn but still happy to attempt to put him in power, making their words seem awfully hollow.
    Nope. You’re fighting a straw man.

Ken Clarke, Philip Hammond, Nicholas Soames and Dominic Grieve (lifelong Conservatives) have chosen to stay and fight rather than defect to a party - the Liberal Democrats - that holds very different principles. They are in different category to Heidi Allen and Sarah Wollaston, who’ve never been convincing Conservatives.

And it’s not clear Boris is all that popular either, so the fight is very far from forlorn.

Your final sentence is a massive non sequitur, which isn’t worthy of a response.
    I'm sure that makes it easier for you, but your position as I interpreted it, and which you haven't actually disputed, is very strawlike. I don't see what is hard about a hypothetical, about whether there are any circumstances under which it is 'ok' to leave the party. If it is, then ok, you have a different threshold than someone else but it is still reasonable. If it is not, then welcome to your home of straw.

But I appreciate party members hate it when they realise they all act the same way, regardless of what party they belong to - it is not a non-sequitur, the Tories are acting increasingly like Corbyn fans, sorry if that upsets you but the Tories do not have a magical immunity to such behaviours.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

No, stay in No 10 and refuse to move and ask Brussels for an extension and he cannot be forced out unless he loses a VONC leading to a general election unless an alternative PM is agreed in 14 days

He has 17 million Leave voters behind him in doing so and taking on the diehard Remainers in Parliament who refuse to respect the will of the people
    Genuine question: where is the line?

If 17m voted to make it legal to kill gay people, would that be okay?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Good lord. How the two are even remotely equivalent is beyond me.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

If he had 17m voters behind him he would be doing significantly better in those polls you so love
  • Options

Between them Brexit and Corbyn have done wonders for the party memberships of all the big 3 UK parties, they should be very grateful. Granted it is low compared to the glory days, but its definitely an uptick for them compared to recent trends.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

There is a weird kind of pilinseemly in a time of crisis
    No, stay in No 10 and refuse to moays

It might be immoral but technically in a democracy with an unwritten constitution as we have whatever a majority of the voters want will ultimately become the law yes
  • Options
    RobD said:

I didn’t say they were equivalent. I asked where the line was.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    There are 68 million people in this country not 17 million. The Tories appear to have forgotten that.
  • Options
    Sub-optimal dailymail.co.uk headline again.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

It might be immoral but technically in a democracy with an unwritten constitution as we have whatever the voters want will ultimately become the law yes
    Jesus...
  • Options
    I love the 17m who voted leave line, because I assume the omission of the 0.4 others is to acknowledge not every one of those who voted leave now back the PM, but that it does not matter because the number who have changed their mind is small.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Government of National Unity back on?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

A few minutes ago I donated the national Liberal Democrats for the first time in 7 + years. I
    Have just given Yeovil lib dems and bracknell lib dems, both constituencies I have been associated, more money than ever before I may even phone bank canvass from out in Spain.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

It would not unless he loses a VONC
  • Options

RobD said:

The current argument is about political maneuverings to deliver Brexit, against the wishes of a Commons that would rather remain. It's not a moral issue, or about whether people should be killed or not.
  • Options
    Is it possible Boris has a bet that Corbyn will be PM, however temporarily? He just wants to ensure the man takes over as a caretaker before he then returns to No.10 after an election.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

I am a ooffice

If you refuse to respect the Brexit vote and Leave Deal or No Deal then sadly BigG you are now a LD, not a conservative
    Indeed,
    +1

True .
    them.
    The party hasn’t fundamentally changed. Yet. It’s in the process of a hostile takeover by entryists. And it’s very far from clear if that will succeed.

N

Your final sentence is a massive non sequitur, which isn’t worthy of a response.
    I'm sure that makes it easier for you, but your position as I interpreted it, and which you haven't actually disputed, is very strawlike. I don't see what is hard about a hypothetical, about whether there are any circumstances under which it is 'ok' to leave the party. If it is, then ok, you have a different threshold than someone else but it is still reasonable. If it is not, then welcome to your home of straw.

But I appreciate party members hate it when they realise they all act the same way, regardless of what party they belong to - it is not a non-sequitur, the Tories are acting increasingly like Corbyn fans, sorry if that upsets you but the Tories do not have a magical immunity to such behaviours.
    Try reading what I wrote again. I’m not arguing there aren’t any circumstances under which you should leave a party. That’s the straw man. If you want to debate hypotheticals, that’s fine, but that wasn’t what I was disagreeing with.

I am defending lifelong core Conservatives - who aren’t even from my side of the party; I’m a right winger - from a leader who’s acting like an entryist and hasn’t even bothered trying to reach out to wings of the party that didn’t personally vote for him.

I don’t agree with them defecting to the Lib Dem’s. I want them to stay and fight and, to their credit, they are.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

The current argument is about political maneuverings to deliver Brexit, against the wishes of a Commons that would rather remain. It's not a moral issue, or about whether people should be killed or not.
    However a PM ignoring the law because he has ‘17m people behind him’ is.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Er no, it would be a criminal act.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Of course not, although many people do present it as a moral issue, of delivering on promises and keeping their word, not merely a political fundamental.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

It might be immoral but technically in a democracy with an unwritten constitution as we have whatever a majority of the voters want will ultimately become the law yes
    Seek help.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

If it might be immoral....yes that says it all the man is demented
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Get help
  • Options
    edited September 2019

RobD said:

RobD said:

Remainers have bent the constitution to get their way, why not leavers? Comparing this to an obviously morally wrong scenario is absurd.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So - by your standard, the nazis were not doing anything wrong?

FFS! Can you not see that you are getting away past the standards of normal behaviour?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

I am a ooffice

Indeed,
    +1

True .
    them.

N

Try reading what I wrote again. I’m not arguing there aren’t any circumstances under which you should leave a party. That’s the straw man. If you want to debate hypotheticals, that’s fine, but that wasn’t what I was disagreeing with.

That was the only question I was curious on, and instead of being clear about it you whinged about non-sequiturs because I didn't glean that from your words. I took your words as arguing any leaving was wrong, and you moaned about straw men rather than actually dispute the point. I'm glad to see you are not so unreasonable as to think that and are not made of straw, but I don't see why you threw a hissy fit about it because I cannot read your mind.
  • Options

They must be a traitor diehard Remainer. You should dump them forthwith!
    :D

I would join myself if it was not such a betrayal of my self-imposed vow never to sully myself by joining any political party.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,631
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:
    Did you see who replied to that tweet?
    Indeed. Our very own HYUFD says "He is the UK PM and as they are state employees ultimately their boss..."

...and therefore fair game as party political props.
    He's wrong. Their ultimate boss is the Queen. Other than that it's the Home Secretary. PM is not the President.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

HYUFD said:

FFS! Can you not see that you are getting away past the standards of normal behaviour?
    I see little evidence that he has any standards?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    How does anyone reckon the conversation goes in Johnson’s weekly meetings with the Queen?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Remainers have bent the constitution to get their way, why not leavers? Comparing this to an obviously morally wrong scenario is absurd.
    Can you really not see the difference between twisting parliamentary procedures and simply ignoring the rule of law?
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

Gabs2 said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:
    Bibi no doubt offering him advice on how he keeps winning elections despite being loathed by the liberal left
    I just realised that TGOHF and HYUFD are different people.
    One stands for The Ghost Of Harry Flashman, the other for Have You Used Fallacious Data.
    TGOHF is an earnestly right wing fellow.
    HYUFD is an unstable form of matter that sublimes between turbulent jackbootery and outrageous and genuinely funny self parody without ever being seen in any intermediate state.

HYUFD is the more interesting of the two, in that he could easily be two quite different people posting on the same account.

TGOFH, in common with a majority of us, tends to provide more heat than light, but HYUFD is in another league, making the room darker, like some dismal, unfillable pit. Or a black hole sucking life from the firmament.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited September 2019
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Brexit "not a moral issue"? Of course it's a moral bloody issue, it hugely affects the individual rights of millions of people. Do you believe that "One death is a tragedy, a million deaths a statistic"?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Remainers have bent the constitution to get their way, why not leavers?
    Have remainers broken the law? Bent not broken implies they have not in your eyes, even if they have behaved poorly. So breaking the law in response would seem an escalation.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

No, I did not say that and it is an outrageous distortion of what I said.

What I said was if a majority of voters vote for something or for a political party to become the government to implement it it will become the law, no matter how immoral, unless a written constitution blocks it and is not repealed or amended to facilitate it.

What the Nazis did was obviously immoral and evil but as they were the governing party in Germany in the 1930s and early 1940s it was not illegal under German law
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Between them Brexit and Corbyn have done wonders for the party memberships of all the big 3 UK parties, they should be very grateful. Granted it is low compared to the glory days, but its definitely an uptick for them compared to recent trends.
    It does indeed ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What I said was if a majority of voters vote for something or for a political party to become to government to implement it it will become the law, no matter how immoral, unless a written constitution blocks it and is repealed or amended to facilitate it.

What the Nazis did was obviously immoral and evil but as they were the governing party in Germany in the 1930s and early 1940s it was not illegal
    You don’t understand.

You are a remainer but you are supporting Leave now because of democracy right?

So where is the line?

Would you support anything the people voted for? If not, why not?
  • Options
    alex. said:

How does anyone reckon the conversation goes in Johnson’s weekly meetings with the Queen?

Her Majesty tells him ‘I miss that nice Mr Cameron’
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What I said was if a majority of voters vote for something or for a political party to become the government to implement it it will become the law, no matter how immoral, unless a written constitution blocks it and is not repealed or amended to facilitate it.

What the Nazis did was obviously immoral and evil but as they were the governing party in Germany in the 1930s and early 1940s it was not illegal
    But they shouldn’t base their decision on an opinion poll,which you seem to believe gives moral authority to do anything
  • Options
    @HYUFD if there was a GE and a party was elected with 50% of the vote with a policy to strip all the residents of Essex of their property, I assume you wouldn’t protest?
  • Options

alex. said:

Ah, the cause of this nonsense. How quaint. But yes, better than this catastrophe.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What I said was if a majority of voters vote for something or for a political party to become to government to implement it it will become the law, no matter how immoral, unless a written constitution blocks it and is repealed or amended to facilitate it.

You don’t understand.

You are a remainer but you are supporting Leave now because of democracy right?

So where is the line?

Would you support anything the people voted for? If not, why not?
    I would not vote for anything no but in a democracy if a governing party wins with a manifesto commitment, as the Tories did in 2017 to take Britain out of the EU as did the DUP that must become the law
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

alex. said:

Does she purr this?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Read up on this and the Abandonment of reality section.

Then I suggest you try some historical reading. Start with the Nuremberg Trials.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    alex. said:

Brenda - "I see you have some family problems"

Boris - "I see you have some family problems"

Brenda - "See you next Tuesday"

Boris - "If I don't make it send for Jezza .... only kidding .... :smiley:
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:
    Indeed. Our very own HYUFD says "He is the UK PM and as they are state employees ultimately their boss..."

He's wrong. Their ultimate boss is the Queen. Other than that it's the Home Secretary. PM is not the President.
    The Home Secretary answers to the PM and the Queen acts on her PM's advice
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited September 2019
    Ishmael_Z said:

alex. said:

Does she purr this?
    Yes.

Actually to be fair to Boris the Queen does thank Boris on a regular basis.

‘Dear Prime Minister, thank you for keeping my nonce befriending son off the front pages’
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Read up on this and the Abandonment of reality section.

Then I suggest you try some historical reading. Start with the Nuremberg Trials.
    The Nuremberg Trials happened as the Allies won and used international law against German law at the time the Nazis were in power, had the Nazis won the war the Nuremberg Trials would never have happened
  • Options
    edited September 2019

@HYUFD if there was a GE and a party was elected with 50% of the vote with a policy to strip all the residents of Essex of their property, I assume you wouldn’t protest?

I would protest but if it was a manifesto commitment I would accept it would be implemented and go and live with another family member and campaign for the opposition to get my property restored at the next GE
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

The Home Secretary answers to the PM and the Queen acts on her PM's advice
    Your grasp of the law, in particular the legal responsibilities of the office of a constable, is shaky.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    So "Trust the people" is the phase of choose.

vgjkLk.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Have remainers broken the law? Bent not broken implies they have not in your eyes, even if they have behaved poorly. So breaking the law in response would seem an escalation.
    I was more thinking about scenarios to block the passage of the bill. Not that I want such a think to happen, it' my view that if it's passed by the commons, the queen must sign.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Doesn't he look tired.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I would protest but if it was a manifesto commitment I would accept it would be implemented and go and live with another family member
    I doubt that very much.
  • Options
    The Iraqi information minister is back.

(Boris is very poorly advised. Sometimes it’s better to say nothing)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Boris treated May poorly, plotted, undermined her and killed her premiership.

This is karma.
    No, that was Corbyn and diehard Remainers mainly, Boris voted for the Withdrawal Agreement at MV3.

What actually is happening is Boris is building a Tory lead May lost ready to finally deliver the Leave vote the diehard Remainers in Parliament have refused to respect
    Absolutely laughable interpretation of history - even you can genuinely be keeping a straight face whilst writing it. Johnson voted for the WA when everyone knew it was effectively dead and after May's leadership was destroyed. After he had done as much as anyone to destroy it and make it impossible for opposition parties to back it. Resigning from the Cabinet over it, speaking implacably against it in the House of Commons, and writing non stop about how terrible it was on a weekly basis in the Daily Telegraph. He was as responsible as anyone for the extension in March, and the subsequently polling collapse.

If anything the fact that he did finally vote for it only makes his actions worse - in demonstrating that he did everything out of personal ambition and not personal conviction

• Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I was more thinking about scenarios to block the passage of the bill. Not that I want such a think to happen, it' my view that if it's passed by the commons, the queen must sign.
    @HYUFD specifically said that Boris would ignore the law even if given royal assent and justified that because ‘17m’.
  • Options
    Is it sustainable to argue that “voters should decide what happens next” without ending up with a second referendum?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What the Nazis did was obviously immoral and evil but as they were the governing party in Germany in the 1930s and early 1940s it was not illegal under German law
    Read a book on jurisprudence - or maybe just skip to the chapter on Natural Law.
  • Options

I’m feeling personally attacked by this line of questioning.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I would protest but if it was a manifesto commitment I would accept it would be implemented and go and live with another family member and campaign for the opposition to get my property restored at the next GE
    LOL
  • Options

Nothing personal Alastair!
  • Options
  • Options
    **Incoming**

Well, this is, erm, courageous in the current climate (and all the more commendable for it).

If anyone’s looking after JRM, they’d be well-advised to staple his gob on this for a few days.

https://twitter.com/CMO_England/status/1169673321522388995?s=20
  • Options

**Incoming**

Well, this is, erm, courageous in the current climate (and all the more commendable for it).

If anyone’s looking after JRM, they’d be well-advised to staple his gob on this for a few days.

Wow. Well done her.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Just wait for a Corbyn premiership, we might experience it firsthand with all private property taken over by the State!
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Read a book on jurisprudence - or maybe just skip to the chapter on Natural Law.
    Natural law is based on morality, that does not mean it always constitutes actual law
  • Options

Is it sustainable to argue that “voters should decide what happens next” without ending up with a second referendum?

Yes. A General Election will achieve that.

If the voters want a referendum let them vote for it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

I am a ooffice

Indeed,
    +1

True .
    them.

N

That was the only question I was curious on, and instead of being clear about it you whinged about non-sequiturs because I didn't glean that from your words. I took your words as arguing any leaving was wrong, and you moaned about straw men rather than actually dispute the point. I'm glad to see you are not so unreasonable as to think that and are not made of straw, but I don't see why you threw a hissy fit about it because I cannot read your mind.
    There was no hissy fit. That’s in your mind.
  • Options
    Since when was UK democracy defined by politicians having majority support?
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

@HYUFD specifically said that Boris would ignore the law even if given royal assent and justified that because ‘17m’.
    I said Boris would refuse to go to Brussels to ask for an extension as reported today, he cannot be forced to do so unless another PM replaces him after a VONC (though a VONC could also lead to a general election at last)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:
    This is not freedom of movement. It means we may be able to visit for "short stays" (how short?) without a visa. We will be able to go to France for days rather than weeks. When I was younger I worked in France for a ski season. I couldn't do that now. This is such small beer.
    Usually “short stay” is 90 days vacation or business trip. Working as a chalet girl wouldn’t qualify Doug 😉
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Have you ever heard of the concept of inalienable rights? Those are the rights that the American colonists felt the British Government has breached in imposing taxes without consent, in a manner that was probably legislatively in order. The rights that the Jews in Germany had taken away from them by the actions of the then government from 1933 onwards? At what point would you feel that an elected government had gone too far and you had the right to rebel, even if the majority opposed you?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I said Boris would refuse to go to Brussels to ask for an extension as reported today, he cannot be forced to do so unless another PM replaces him after a VONC (though a VONC could also lead to a general election at last)
    The Benn bill says otherwise.
  • Options
    Ok, it's approaching midnight on Oct 19, Boris is still PM but he has not requested the extension as the Benn bill requires.

What _exactly_ happens?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

I think it is, though in practice if the pro-EU parties win a combined majority in a GE then they will probably want to hold a second referendum as cover.

I won't bore on too much about my personal opinion on referendums within a representative democracy, other than to reiterate the view that they are not a terribly good idea.

Beyond that, if it does come to a second vote then I'm changing sides. I would now back Remain. I've also decided that I can be arsed to vote in the next election (even though I still think my vote is most unlikely to count for anything, because of the system,) and I shall be backing the Liberal Democrats. This is not primarily because they favour Remain, but rather because they are the only available party that doesn't terrify me.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Since when was UK democracy defined by politicians having majority support?

I guess it doesn’t matter that Blair lied about Iraq cos 54%.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

He will have to ask for an extension under the law of the land. Do you understand Benn? It would be a criminal act not to do so. Unless he resigns.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Natural law is based on morality, that does not mean it always constitutes actual law
    Really? So you feel the Nuremberg Trials were not legitimate? That the American Colonists had no right to revolt? That the Tienamen Square protestors had it coming?
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Ok, it's approaching midnight on Oct 19, Boris is still PM but he has not requested the extension as the Benn bill requires.

What _exactly_ happens?

Haven't the EU indicated they would just extend automatically?
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    HYUFD said:

Perhaps those WW1 analogies are correct after all.

• Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

He will have to ask for an extension under the law of the land. Do you understand Benn? It would be a criminal act not to do so. Unless he resigns.
    @AlastairMeeks @Cyclefree are you able to educate us on this? What are the possible consequences legally?
  • Options
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

No he will not, what are they going to do? Arrest Boris for refusing to ask for an extension most voters don't want. If they do watch the Tory voteshare rise yet further as we enter the final stages of all out civil war of the executive and the majority of voters against the legislature
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

No he will not, what are they going to do? Arrest Boris for refusing to ask for an extension most voters don't want. If they do watch the Tory voteshare rise yet further as we enter the final stages of all out civil war of the executive against the legislature
    Would you really want to set a precedent that the PM is above the law?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

No he will not, what are they going to do? Arrest Boris for refusing to ask for an extension most voters don't want. If they do watch the Tory voteshare rise yet further as we enter the final stages of all out civil war of the executive against the legislature
    I think you need to bring your passionately Brexiter hot-air balloon a little closer back down to earth, Mr HYUFD.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

**Incoming**

Wow. Well done her.
    Sure, although I think her statement that the public look to their leaders for calmness and civility at such times is mistaken. Quite the opposite, the public loves it when their chap (or chapette) attacks the other lot. Whether the public should expect such calmness and civility from its leaders, and whether they need it are another matter.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Really? So you feel the Nuremberg Trials were not legitimate? That the American Colonists had no right to revolt? That the Tienamen Square protestors had it coming?
    Under the laws of the lands at the time those were illegal acts yes but of course certainly in the latter 2 cases it was authoritarian regimes defying the people much as the current Parliament is defying the will of the people as expressed in 2016
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    blueblue said:

What _exactly_ happens?

He can be arrested for contempt of Parliament.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

No he will not, what are they going to do? Arrest Boris for refusing to ask for an extension most voters don't want. If they do watch the Tory voteshare rise yet further as we enter the final stages of all out civil war of the executive and the majority of voters against the legislature
    Prozac?
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Boris treated May poorly, plotted, undermined her and killed her premiership.

This is karma.
    No, that was Corbyn and diehard Remainers mainly, Boris voted for the Withdrawal Agreement at MV3.

What actually is happening is Boris is building a Tory lead May lost ready to finally deliver the Leave vote the diehard Remainers in Parliament have refused to respect
    Absolutely laughable interpretation of history - even you can genuinely be keeping a straight face whilst writing it. Johnson voted for the WA when everyone knew it was effectively dead and after May's leadership was destroyed. After he had done as much as anyone to destroy it and make it impossible for opposition parties to back it. Resigning from the Cabinet over it, speaking implacably against it in the House of Commons, and writing non stop about how terrible it was on a weekly basis in the Daily Telegraph. He was as responsible as anyone for the extension in March, and the subsequently polling collapse.

If anything the fact that he did finally vote for it only makes his actions worse - in demonstrating that he did everything out of personal ambition and not personal conviction

Laughable interpretation? Sorry, but this evening's posting from HYUFD have convinced me that he has taken leave of his senses.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

I am a ooffice

Indeed,
    +1

True .
    them.

N

I'm sure that makes it eaome to your home of straw.

There was no hissy fit. That’s in your mind.
    Whatever you say. I'm sure your refusal to answer the point as it was '[un]worthy of a response' (a response which, incidentally, would have clarified matters) was not at all rooted in petulance. I often find that refusing to clarify the point as a matter of protest is totally not an emotional reaction. You're welcome to choose whatever words you like to describe it, and my own response.
This discussion has been closed.