Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris Johnson becomes Rudderless as the Conservation broad chu

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763

The animal with which the public most identify both Johnson — 16% — and Corbyn — 25% — is a weasel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCMXmAX18XA
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    TGOHF said:

tyson said:

I hated Brown's expedient diversion into nationalism...it was shocking. I fucking hate nationalism in all it's forms. It leads to division, sectarianism, hatred and racism....

I cannot even stand the chant of the English supporters about the Ozzies...always cheating...I turn the volume down, and I love cricket. It's horrible. And there has been something majestic and noble to see Smith confronting the chants, and the boos to show a display of tenacity and skill in batting that I have never seen before....

I'm curious as to when all that started - it certainly wasn't around 20 years.

For that matter the only place where I have heard Australians ever described as 'convicts' is on PB.
    You and Tyson need to untwist your knickers and head for Melbourn next Boxing Day Ashes test to see what the Ozzie’s shout at the POMs...

It’s fine - you feel guilt for being a rich Western white dude born into wealth and privilege.

But no need to be a downer on those having a bit of fun and a few beers at the cricket.

It was really funny when the crowd all waved sand paper at Warner and Bancroft when they got out..the chanting is bad enough, but booing someone who is perhaps displaying the best show of batting I have certainly seen is shocking.

That said, I've got a feeling we can dig in tomorrow...and take it to the last test
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    GIN1138 said:

I have to say Theresa May has also been the root of a LOT of this division.

I suspect if Boris and Gove had gone into government in 2016 or Cameron had stuck to the job as PM we may well have got away with EEA - I think at the outset a lot of Leavers would have accepted that or something similar.

But the more strident got May got up to June 2017 the more strident leavers AND remainers got in response.

If May had never become PM I suspect we'd have had a much smoother exit without a lot of the division. Maybe.

Leavers would not have accepted EEA as it requires free movement and would have betrayed one of the key planks of the Leave campaign, which is why Boris is correct to replace free movement with a points system.

In 10 years time once EU immigration is under control it may be an option but now
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'd answer don't know on Cummings. I deeply dislike his strategy, and reports of his behaviour suggest he is a big man child who likes to 'shock' people as some kind of silly power play, but whether his advice is good or not I could not say at this stage and at the end of the day his job is to win the day for Boris, and it is far from clear he is doing a bad job at that which he should be fired for.
    I'm sorry that kind of reasonableness isn't acceptable in Brexit Britain.
  • Options
    spire2 said:
    No point at all other than an update on the Commons composition
  • Options

tyson said:

I hated Brown's expedient diversion into nationalism...it was shocking. I fucking hate nationalism in all it's forms. It leads to division, sectarianism, hatred and racism....

I cannot even stand the chant of the English supporters about the Ozzies...always cheating...I turn the volume down, and I love cricket. It's horrible. And there has been something majestic and noble to see Smith confronting the chants, and the boos to show a display of tenacity and skill in batting that I have never seen before....

For that matter the only place where I have heard Australians ever described as 'convicts' is on PB.
    I respectfully and completely disagree. Sledging and banter and mockery have been an intrinsic part of the sport for as long as I remember.

20 years ago I lived in Australia doing my final year of my A Level equivalent and I absolutely remember it being exactly like that. I took a lot of stick for being a Pommie Bastard and gave it back to the Convicts. The 90s was not a good decade to be a Pommie cricket fan at school downunder lol.

The Barmy Army always came up with great mocking chants.

I went to an ODI at the MCG that from memory was not long after both Australia retaining the Ashes yet again as well as their failed republic referendum. My favourite chant that year was the Aussies chanting "we own the Ashes" and the English chanting in reply "we own your country"
    I can see how the swapping of abuse makes the world a happier place.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

alex. said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed, I have at least one Leave voting friend who has lost a Remain voting friend because of his Brexit vote.

Brexit has divided us far more than say voting for a different party in an election has sad to say

Which is very sad, where it happens.

Disputes over politics simply aren't worth that kind of nastiness.
    It's put me right off referendums. Never Again.
    Would you have been happy for Blair to take us into the Euro WITHOUT a referendum?

I don't think they are the worst thing in the world but should be used sparingly and not by government's advocating the status quo. Perhaps we ought to blame Harold Wilson who was the first to try this chicanery for party political purposes. Cameron tried to pull a similar trick forgetting that the older members of the electorate had seen this game before.
    I think this is absolutely the key point. They should be used to reinforce Govt’s changing something/pursuing a policy where they are concerned that their mandate from a General Election isn’t sufficient. And that is the only time.

Also any referendum mandate arising will be extra strong because it will not be corrupted by people who have just voted on anti-Govt protest lines (it has been observed that a significant proportion of the original leave vote was probably motivated by anti-austerity - and unfortunately the weak Labour remain campaign did little to challenge this).
    It is not that the Leave vote was motivated by anti-austerity but that many Leave voters wrongly ascribed their deprived status to EU membership when in fact a more likely cause was austerity.

This is why Boris wants an election before Brexit fails to improve Leave voters' lives, and will probably make them worse. In some cases, a lot worse.
    Only anecdotal, but I know people (from the North) who voted Leave because the Govt/establishment (who they saw as pro-austerity) was for remain.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    How many of those surveyed had heard of Dominic Cummings?!

And if many, how have politics geeks been so overrepresented in a YouGov survey?!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Off topic, On topic - Do I have an MP right now ?

Am I going to have a by-election or will John Mann simply not appear on the Labour box at the next GE ?
    Least I don't have to remotely think about voting Labour now as I was half considering giving him a personal vote.
    My other half is glad he's left the party too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

spire2 said:
    Can Fuck Boris govern with a majority of -45?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

The animal with which the public most identify both Johnson — 16% — and Corbyn — 25% — is a weasel.

Corbyn is clearly a Limpet. Boris is a mimic octopus.
  • Options
    tyson said:

TGOHF said:

tyson said:

You and Tyson need to untwist your knickers and head for Melbourn next Boxing Day Ashes test to see what the Ozzie’s shout at the POMs...

It’s fine - you feel guilt for being a rich Western white dude born into wealth and privilege.

But no need to be a downer on those having a bit of fun and a few beers at the cricket.

It was really funny when the crowd all waved sand paper at Warner and Bancroft when they got out..the chanting is bad enough, but booing someone who is perhaps displaying the best show of batting I have certainly seen is shocking.

That said, I've got a feeling we can dig in tomorrow...and take it to the last test
    +1
  • Options
    tyson said:

TGOHF said:

tyson said:

We don't deserve to, other than THAT Stokes innings England have been outplayed and an Ashes victory would paper over serious longstanding deficiencies in the Test team (and its coach - fortunately leaving - and captain).

All out an hour before tea.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

spire2 said:
    He doesn't want to govern right now, so that's not an issue. The issue is can anyone else govern - the only thing the Commons can agree on is asking for an extension, and even then only barely.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I'd answer don't know on Cummings. I deeply dislike his strategy, and reports of his behaviour suggest he is a big man child who likes to 'shock' people as some kind of silly power play, but whether his advice is good or not I could not say at this stage and at the end of the day his job is to win the day for Boris, and it is far from clear he is doing a bad job at that which he should be fired for.
    I'm sorry that kind of reasonableness isn't acceptable in Brexit Britain.
    It was a momentary lapse, I am sure, and will not be repeated :)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

spire2 said:
    Probably not, which is why he will likely resign as PM within a month and become Leader of the Opposition on a hard Brexit ticket leaving another PM to extend
  • Options

tyson said:

TGOHF said:

tyson said:

We don't deserve to, other than THAT Stokes innings England have been outplayed and an Ashes victory would paper over serious longstanding deficiencies in the Test team (and its coach - fortunately leaving - and captain).

Frankly the Aussies have not been fantastic either, without Smith and Labuschange, but better than England admittedly.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    It seems a pretty open secret that the LibDem Conference week will start with Heidi Allen’s incoming defection.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Those who oppose Cummings and expelling the rebels will almost all be Labour and LD voters and as Comres shows tonight if the Tories extend again that will let Labour into Downing Street through Tory defections to the Brexit Party so absolute commitment to Brexit Deal or No Deal from Tory MPs must be imposed
    Opponents seem far more decisive and certain of their position than supporters though...

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763

tyson said:

TGOHF said:

tyson said:

Meh, I think they'll be all out before Lunch.

I think Root is a) a great guy, b) a great bastmen, and c) a crap captain. No idea who should replace him. If you forced me to pick someone Stokes I guess.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

spire2 said:
    Probably not, which is why he will likely resign as PM within a month and become Leader of the Opposition on a hard Brexit ticket leaving another PM to extend
    Earlier you seemed confident that we would not be extending.
  • Options
    tyson said:

TGOHF said:

tyson said:

I’m afraid I don’t think we’ll last half the day.
  • Options

tyson said:

I respectfully and completely disagree. Sledging and banter and mockery have been an intrinsic part of the sport for as long as I remember.

20 years ago I lived in Australia doing my final year of my A Level equivalent and I absolutely remember it being exactly like that. I took a lot of stick for being a Pommie Bastard and gave it back to the Convicts. The 90s was not a good decade to be a Pommie cricket fan at school downunder lol.

I went to an ODI at the MCG that from memory was not long after both Australia retaining the Ashes yet again as well as their failed republic referendum. My favourite chant that year was the Aussies chanting "we own the Ashes" and the English chanting in reply "we own your country"
    Any England cricketer who toured Australia in the 70s and 80s will tell you it could get pretty vicious, the MCG in particular being a cauldron of intimidation and sledging. Most of it I'm sure harmless and in jest, but still, booing and the whatnot is not a new thing to Test cricket.
    It is in this country.
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Those who oppose Cummings and expelling the rebels will almost all be Labour and LD voters and as Comres shows tonight if the Tories extend again that will let Labour into Downing Street through Tory defections to the Brexit Party so absolute commitment to Brexit Deal or No Deal from Tory MPs must be imposed
    Opponents seem far more decisive and certain of their position than supporters though...

Opponents are split down the middle while Cummings is largely uniting Leavers behind the Tories
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

spire2 said:
    Earlier you seemed confident that we would not be extending.
    Well I obviously still am as resigning as PM would leave another PM to do it with the Tories going into opposition
  • Options

tyson said:

Sledging isn't abuse it's fun. It's all done in good humour and people enjoy it. It's part of the tradition and fun of the sport.

It's certainly not new.

If I met an Aussie friend during the Ashes I'd be quite happy be respectively mocking each other as POM or convict while having a beer with him.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Opponents are split down the middle while Cummings is largely uniting Leavers behind the Tories
    Not behind himself though, which is the poll we were commenting on.
  • Options

Aren't weasels sleek, dapper little creatures ?

Not really the Boris or Corbyn look to me.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

tyson said:

TGOHF said:

tyson said:

Meh, I think they'll be all out before Lunch.

I think Root is a) a great guy, b) a great bastmen, and c) a crap captain. No idea who should replace him. If you forced me to pick someone Stokes I guess.
    No, we need to stop burdening our current best player with the captaincy.

Perhaps parachute Eoin Morgan in - let's be honest, he can't do any worse than the current batsmen and he would certainly improve this side with his captaincy. That said, not sure if he would be too wedded to the WC-winning positive approach which is way too inflexible for the far more nuanced Test game.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Once the figures come out I suspect Leavers are mainly behind Cummings and Remainers are fully opposed to him so not true really
  • Options

tyson said:

Any England cricketer who toured Australia in the 70s and 80s will tell you it could get pretty vicious, the MCG in particular being a cauldron of intimidation and sledging. Most of it I'm sure harmless and in jest, but still, booing and the whatnot is not a new thing to Test cricket.
    It is in this country.
    The same applies, I was just pointing out that both sides are as bad as each other.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It seems a pretty open secret that the LibDem Conference week will start with Heidi Allen’s incoming defection.

Would the last MP from CUK yet to defect to the LDs please turn out the lights!
  • Options

tyson said:

It is in this country.
    Barmy Army got very involved in chanting in this country throughout the 90s.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

People who don't have very strong feelings either way on Brexit must be feeling a bit out of it at the moment.

The ReLeavers :lol:
  • Options

tyson said:

Sledging isn't abuse it's fun. It's all done in good humour and people enjoy it. It's part of the tradition and fun of the sport.

It's certainly not new.

If I met an Aussie friend during the Ashes I'd be quite happy be respectively mocking each other as POM or convict while having a beer with him.
    There is a distinction between light hearted banter and mindless abuse. The former has always been a feature of the Ashes in this country - Aussie supporters on tour are always a good bunch - apparently series in Australia have often been more mixed in where the line is drawn.

Although it has been getting more of a feature in the U.K. as well for several years (although is very different at different grounds - but in this series even Lords was succumbing). A clear line is when the booing continues when the opponents play well.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    IanB2 said:

shed make a great leader.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Would Boris survive going into opposition? Remember, only 44 letters are needed now...and falling. It would be high stakes poker, all in on QQ.
  • Options

tyson said:

It's certainly not new.

Sledging is abuse, it might be funny at times but its still abuse.

Some people might enjoy it but some others don't.

And referring to Australians as convicts really is a recent thing in this country.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Once the figures come out I suspect Leavers are mainly behind Cummings and Remainers are fully opposed to him so not true really
    What do you mean? That Leavers are now only 29% of the population with 20% having shifted into “don’t know” territory?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

There is an irony in these MPs who were determined to change British politics have ended up in an establishment party - a party campaigning to retain the status quo. So for them Change meant absolutely nothing.
  • Options

tyson said:

It is in this country.
    Not at the matches I went to they didn't.

IIRC the Barmy Army in the 1990s were only a small number who supported England overseas.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

There is an irony in these MPs who were determined to change British politics have ended up in an establishment party - a party campaigning to retain the status quo. So for them Change meant absolutely nothing.
    How different it might have been if Tom Watson hadn't set up the Scooby Gang to stop the defections. And now where is he? Shouting in the void and pretending he didn't champion that lying pedophile.
  • Options
    alex. said:

tyson said:

It's certainly not new.

There is a distinction between light hearted banter and mindless abuse. The former has always been a feature of the Ashes in this country - Aussie supporters on tour are always a good bunch - apparently series in Australia have often been more mixed in where the line is drawn.

Although it has been getting more of a feature in the U.K. as well for several years (although is very different at different grounds - but in this series even Lords was succumbing). A clear line is when the booing continues when the opponents play well.
    +1

Committed support for your own team does not need to include abuse and hatred of opponents.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Even the booing is done in good humour. It's been done because he earnt it by cheating and that's the fans way of mocking him - he shouldn't have cheated - but many of the same fans will both boo him and give him a standing ovation. He deserves both!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

tyson said:

It is in this country.
    Not at the matches I went to they didn't.

IIRC the Barmy Army in the 1990s were only a small number who supported England overseas.
    That's correct, they only existed overseas in the 90s as a significant force.
  • Options

tyson said:

It's certainly not new.

And referring to Australians as convicts really is a recent thing in this country.
    I came back to the UK January 2000 and as I had the accent even I despite not being an Aussie got called a convict. It's absolutely not new.
  • Options
    A reminder of MPs supporting Change UK and The Independents.

Change UK: Ann Coffey, Mike Gapes, Chris Leslie, Joan Ryan, Anna Soubry.
    The Independents: Heidi Allen, Gavin Shuker, John Woodcock.
  • Options

tyson said:

It's certainly not new.

I came back to the UK January 2000 and as I had the accent even I despite not being an Aussie got called a convict. It's absolutely not new.
    How long were you there for?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    dixiedean said:

Would Boris survive going into opposition? Remember, only 44 letters are needed now...and falling. It would be high stakes poker, all in on QQ.

The Tory Party would not survive extending again so it is either keep Boris and do not extend and likely keep a Tory poll lead even in opposition or replace Boris and extend and see a Labour led Government after the next general election and the Brexit Party in due course replace the Tories.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Just over 7 years. Late 92 to just into 2000. Ages 10 to 17.

Due in part to the hemisphere change I skipped a year of education and finished my A level equivalent at 17. Then had about 10 months off before starting university in the UK where I heard convict quite a few times.
  • Options

+1

Committed support for your own team does not need to include abuse and hatred of opponents.

Hatred? No not hatred.

Banter/sledging/mocking/humour is not hatred. It's rivalry not hate.
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477

alex. said:

Even the booing is done in good humour. It's been done because he earnt it by cheating and that's the fans way of mocking him - he shouldn't have cheated - but many of the same fans will both boo him and give him a standing ovation. He deserves both!
    The reality is that a number of the Aussies are cheats who should have been banned for life. What they did is no different to other cheats in other sports, and far exceeds the ball tampering we’ve seen in the past using boiled sweets or sand.

I don’t boo at the cricket, I cheer good play from all sides; except for these cheats. I’m a county member and I’ve seen England play a lot, and these are the only opposition players I’ve solidly booed. But they deserve it and I want them to feel bad.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Due in part to the hemisphere change I skipped a year of education and finished my A level equivalent at 17. Then had about 10 months off before starting university in the UK where I heard convict quite a few times.
    Interesting, thanks.
  • Options
    Fascinating the stuff about Guildford: when it went Lib Dem in 2001 Peter Hitchens cited that event as the very embodiment of everything the Tories had screwed up about being serious about being in power. What can I say?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited September 2019
    Here's those Sun/Delta Poll Numbers

Con 31% (-4) Lab 28% (+4) Lib-Dem 17% (-1) BXP 13% (-1) Con Lead 3%

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9884955/boris-johnson-popularity-falls-brexit/
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

AndyJS said:

Likewise, I've been in the US long enough that I've started speaking like a yank! :D
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    "'The coming collapse' - How Dominic Cummings has a plan to 'rebuild' the UK's future

Dominic Cummings has revolutionary designs for the way government policies are devised, decided and delivered, where "flawed" human decision making is mended by big data modelling and machine intelligence.

The Government advisor, currently war-gaming the next move for Mr Johnson, sees gaping errors in the state of political affairs suggesting they currently rely on idealistic human narratives and personal authorities prone to “systemic dysfunction and the influence of grotesque incompetents."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1174863/dominic-cummings-brexit-news-latest-boris-johnson-eu-tory-rebels-artificial-intelligence
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He doesn't want to govern right now, so that's not an issue. The issue is can anyone else govern - the only thing the Commons can agree on is asking for an extension, and even then only barely.

That wasn't "only barely", it was a decent majority, in the face of not just a then-majority-party whip but a full-blown credible deselection threat.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    "Tory MPs in coup to make Boris Johnson boot out hated advisor Dominic Cummings

EXCLUSIVE: A coup could take place at soon as tomorrow, as group set to approach the chief whip, Mr Johnson’s parliamentary private secretary and the PM himself"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-mps-coup-make-boris-19845342
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Here's those Sun/Delta Poll Numbers

Con 31% (-4) Lab 28% (+4) Lib-Dem 17% (-1) BXP 13% (-1) Con Lead 3%

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9884955/boris-johnson-popularity-falls-brexit/

So all in all a very mixed bag......

Where the parties are appears all over the shop.

Where Johnson’s image is going does appear to be pretty consistent.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Number of government MPs drops to 288, (when this is updated).

https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/current-state-of-the-parties/

Realistically these totals no longer matter. There is no majority and that is unsustainable, there needs to be an election and the government recognises this.

Whether it is 289, 288, 270 or 260 is rather moot now. What matters is how many post-election.
    It matters if the opposition want to do a GONU, which they should. The hard thing about a GONU used to be that it could be brought down by any small party (or as of last week, even a couple of MPs!) playing silly buggers. There's now already a buffer bigger than the size of the (recently enlarged) Liberal Democrats, and if they carry on like this it won't be long before they're also SNP-proof.
  • Options
    Mrs May looking happier than in a long time:

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1170478967318618112?s=20
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Wow, some sort of explosion here in Perivale......
  • Options

It's no longer her problem. I bet she feels a great sense of relief right now.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

Stay safe!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    On abuse at cricket, the first Ashes series I remember was 1997 and I distinctly remember the England fans chanting "You fat b******" to Shane Warne dancing around with a stump at the end of the match:

https://tinyurl.com/y2tz78en
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"'The coming collapse' - How Dominic Cummings has a plan to 'rebuild' the UK's future

Dominic Cummings has revolutionary designs for the way government policies are devised, decided and delivered, where "flawed" human decision making is mended by big data modelling and machine intelligence.

The Government advisor, currently war-gaming the next move for Mr Johnson, sees gaping errors in the state of political affairs suggesting they currently rely on idealistic human narratives and personal authorities prone to “systemic dysfunction and the influence of grotesque incompetents."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1174863/dominic-cummings-brexit-news-latest-boris-johnson-eu-tory-rebels-artificial-intelligence

Doesn’t sound very “Conservative” to me!
  • Options
    Thanks for the link to the Deltapoll figures. Very interesting they are reporting a decline in Boris' ratings like other pollsters.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    All pollsters seem to be pointing towards the public wanting an election as well, though this will be blocked by MPs tomorrow.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

Cummings masterplan
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Basically he wants to abolish democracy.
  • Options
    New thread!
  • Options

Theresa May pointing at potholes.
    Has she joined the LibDems too?
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's no longer her problem. I bet she feels a great sense of relief right now.
    She always was a good constituency MP. (I used to live round the corner from her). Just not very good at any of the more complicated stuff...
This discussion has been closed.