Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A cunning ruse to persuade Corbyn to give Boris Johnson his ea

Comments

• Options
    valleyboy said:
    A friend (of a friend, etc) has just sent me a telegram that says the worst-case scenario has half the Cabinet out on their ear and Labour with a majority.

(We can all play this game)
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

AndyJS said:

Bercow screwing Brexiteers up to the end.....

How so?
    A new anti-Brexit speaker can now be chosen even if the Conservatives stand in Buckingham
    Bercow's problem is not that he has been pro or anti Brexit nor that he has been pro or anti Tory/Labour. It has been that he has both politicized and personalised the position and has acted as if he was making the rules rather than interpreting them. Over-ruling the advice of the Clerks and decrying precedent were just two examples out of many.
    Bercow's problem is he championed backbenchers against the government.
    Which has been wonderful for reasserting the strength of Parliament
    So wonderful the country is now ungovernable.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Ridiculous argument from Bercow. Why should a new Parliament be saddled with the choice of an old one?

Perhaps that is his last hand grenade? A speaker appointed by a house full of anti-johnsonites

He might be the shortest-lasting Speaker though?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Thank you John Bercow .

A wonderful speaker who stopped the Tory lunatics from driving the country over a cliff .
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    The House of Commons can't find the collective brains to vote for a Brexit deal that prevents the country self-destructing, but it CAN find half an hour to indulgently love itself, like some bonkers Madagascan queen ordering her handsome servants to cut her pubic hair with their teeth

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,373
    I'd agree that Bercow has been both a very good and very bad Speaker.

The precedent thing - particularly in the circumstances of the last twelve months - has been a bit overdone. Unprecedented circumstances sometime require an unprecedented response.
    And if he had been flouting Parliament's wishes (as opposed to those of a minority government) they could have simply got rid.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

The House of Commons can't find the collective brains to vote for a Brexit deal that prevents the country self-destructing, but it CAN find half an hour to indulgently love itself, like some bonkers Madagascan queen ordering her handsome servants to cut her pubic hair with their teeth

Yeah. I don't have the problem with Bercow that some do, but a big part of me is like "get on with it.. there's work to be done this afternoon"!
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Byronic said:

What have you been watching lately ?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    I assume none of this polling takes into account the likely effect of Independent Conservative candidates in a number of Tory seats, a number of them sitting MPs.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,625
    I'm sure people here will have points of view regarding the goodness or badness of the Speaker. My two cents is that doing this here, now is self-indulgent: stay until done, don't bugger off halfway thru.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Thank you John Bercow .

A wonderful speaker who stopped the Tory lunatics from driving the country over a cliff .

Seconded. A true champion of the backbenchers. Even until his last day, 31st Oct. he is ensuring that he will be replaced by another Backbencher's Speaker.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I'm sure people here will have points of view regarding the goodness or badness of the Speaker. My two cents is that doing this here, now is self-indulgent: stay until done, don't bugger off halfway thru.
    I don't know why Bercow is doing this. He seemed absolutely committed to Remain, and was a hugely valuable ally for the Remainers. It's V likely that Brexit will be unsolved by Oct 31.

So.... why is he stepping down?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

Byronic said:

What have you been watching lately ?
    Coverage of the Pope's visit?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    nico67 said:

Thank you John Bercow .

Yup - because that is his job description....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

nico67 said:

Thank you John Bercow .

Seconded. A true champion of the backbenchers. Even until his last day, 31st Oct. he is ensuring that he will be replaced by another Backbencher's Speaker.
    Don't you mean a true champion of the remainers?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    nico67 said:

Thank you John Bercow .

So you admit he was partisan?
  • Options
    edited September 2019

nico67 said:

Thank you John Bercow .

Is "Backbencher's Speaker" just the new name for a belligerent, biased Remainer?

What we need is an impartial speaker, not someone more partial to certain people and views in the House than others.

Someone who recognises that he/she is not bigger than the office he/she holds. Bring back the wig!
  • Options
    Byronic said:

viewcode said:

I don't know why Bercow is doing this. He seemed absolutely committed to Remain, and was a hugely valuable ally for the Remainers. It's V likely that Brexit will be unsolved by Oct 31.

So that the House of Remainers can pick another Remainer to replace him before an election that might result in a Leave victory and a Leave Speaker.
  • Options
    Interesting timing. Can't see Boris recommnding Bercow for a peerage.....
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Byronic said:

viewcode said:

Because then the next speaker will be chosen by this Commons and not a new one after a GE .

Anyway I think he’s done as much as he could to stop the lunatics in the Tory party.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Thank you John Bercow .

Is "Backbencher's Speaker" just the new name for a belligerent, biased Remainer?

What we need is an impartial speaker, not someone more partial to certain people and views in the House than others.

Someone who recognises that he is not bigger than the office he holds. Bring back the wig!
    Bercow was cheered by the ERG when he blocked MV3.
  • Options
    God this is painful. I thought it was going to dramatic political theatre. not cringeworthy pantomime

The House is about to be prorogued, with Brexit unresolved! SHUT UP AND DO SOMETHING
  • Options

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

So that the House of Remainers can pick another Remainer to replace him before an election that might result in a Leave victory and a Leave Speaker.
    The new Speaker will only last until a Leave victory in that scenario.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

God this is painful. I thought it was going to dramatic political theatre. not cringeworthy pantomime

The House is about to be prorogued, with Brexit unresolved! SHUT UP AND DO SOMETHING

Byronic, they've had three years since the referendum to do something. They have done nothing. A few extra hours isn't going to move the needle.
  • Options

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

The new Speaker will only last until a Leave victory in that scenario.
    Exactly. Moreover, any new Speaker will know this, and won't want to be sacked a few weeks after taking office, so they are going to be much less partisan than Bercow.

This is why Griece just publicly regretted Bercow's departure. Odd.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,625
    Byronic said:

viewcode said:

I genuinely don't know why MPs do what they do any more. I know that many are clever and diligent and good people, and we can name many who fit that criteria, but when they get into the House they fail and do bad or stupid things. So I don't know, I'm afraid... :(
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    So farewell then, John Bercow.
    A man who enjoyed the sound of his own voice.
    His very LOUD voice.
    Which is what you need.
    As a Speaker.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    AndyJS said:
    In Central London you can see homeless heroin addicts shooting up in doorways. I'm not sure we're that mucg better.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Bercow is opinionated, self important, pompous, prejudiced, and short.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2019

The last word of your sentence, might appear to indicate that heightism is one of the last acceptable prejudices.
  • Options

Nothing wrong with being short.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

I genuinely don't know why MPs do what they do any more. I know that many are clever and diligent and good people, and we can name many who fit that criteria, but when they get into the House they fail and do bad or stupid things. So I don't know, I'm afraid... :(
    Maybe time will tell
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Off topic, I get kids should look smart but some of the stuff I'm seeing on school uniforms would make the HJ blush.

Unless your son wants to turn up with a couple of gold stud earrings, a gold rolex and *regulation* skirt and tights in which case he's perfectly free to do so...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Nothing wrong with being short.
    Depends what you're short of.
  • Options
    First qualification to be speaker to me seems to be the possession of an ultra strong bladder.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

Pesky voters electing MPs to thwart the will of those other, proper, voters who voted the correct way the year before
  • Options
    So what of Grieve's SO24? All adding to the delay.
  • Options
    The House won't vote for someone as nakedly partisan as Grieve nor as electorally vulnerable as Rudd. Will definitely by a Remainer though.
  • Options

The last word of your sentence, might appear to indicate that heightism is one of the last acceptable prejudices.
    It's not a prejudice, it's a factual observation
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

It doesn't have to be Boris who does the recommending. Additionally it would be another example of the Tories not being conservative and not following convention.
  • Options
    Bercow was the complete opposite of the previous speaker, Michael Martin, who almost never said anything of any note. But some people would have preferred that.
  • Options
    Thought parliamentary time was at a premium today. What a self indulgent display.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2019
    Or proof he doesn't understand the meaning of the word urgent.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Is that by year, or by session?
  • Options

A short person marrying a very tall person is a sign of confidence.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:
    In Central London you can see homeless heroin addicts shooting up in doorways. I'm not sure we're that mucg better.
    Do you see many Teslas and Range Rovers in Central London?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    AndyJS said:

Bercow was the complete opposite of the previous speaker, Michael Martin, who almost never said anything of any note. But some people would have preferred that.

He'll go down in history as a forceful character who changed some things, and made friends and enemies along the way. I suspect he'll be happy with that summation.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Is that by year, or by session?
    By session, I guess. Because this session started in 2017.
  • Options

A short person marrying a very tall person is a sign of confidence.
    over confidence perhaps
  • Options
    An alternative interpretation is that Bercow knows that Boris has found a way to ensure an election - and this is his only chance for a swansong.....
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

An alternative interpretation is that Bercow knows that Boris has found a way to ensure an election - and this is his only chance for a swansong.....

Highly, highly unlikely...
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Pulpstar said:
    Angela there, noting the importance of impartiality
  • Options

Well, he kind of has to, otherwise Bercow remains an MP.
  • Options
  • Options

AndyJS said:

He'll go down in history as a forceful character who changed some things, and made friends and enemies along the way. I suspect he'll be happy with that summation.
    Do Speakers go down in history? - seems to me that it's a "5 minutes of fame" job and boy did Bercow milk it.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    It's a desperately stupid tweet but I'm not going to lay her for Labour leader off the back of it.
  • Options
    Well, it's an improvement of sorts
  • Options
    Apparently labour have already agreed to put forward a candidate for speaker whom they will vote against at the appropriate time
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Calling himself ‘The Backbenchers Backstop’... so cringe! Desperate to be a martyr like Lady Di #backbenchersbuttplug
  • Options
    Is Bercow also calculating that the Tories would have less chance of winning back his seat in by-election circumstances compared to a general election?
  • Options
    Chuka would make a fine choice, he could quit after a day and sit as an independent speaker
  • Options
    edited September 2019

AndyJS said:

Do Speakers go down in history? - seems to me that it's a "5 minutes of fame" job and boy did Bercow milk it.
    It depends if he permanently changes the balance of power between parliament and the executive - and that depends on how much of his approach his successor carries forward.

Arguably he'll also go down in history for raising the role of parliament during the Brexit process, even if his successor doesn't carry forward his approach with regard to the elevation of MP's questions and other things.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Only until the election.
  • Options
    Here's Wes Streeting with what you're "supposed" to say re: Bercow...

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1171076339732013061
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

No. He just gets replaced by the voters at the impending election. And gets himself an allotment.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Some do, some don't. I'd suggest largely the good ones don't. He will.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:
    It's a desperately stupid tweet but I'm not going to lay her for Labour leader off the back of it.
    Does she really think Bercow is electable in any contested election?
  • Options
    Dawn Butler reading the room, as ever.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:
    Do you see many Teslas and Range Rovers in Central London?
    You see fewer Teslas in London, but many more Range Rovers. He should have written "Teslas and Porsches".
  • Options

Apparently labour have already agreed to put forward a candidate for speaker whom they will vote against at the appropriate time

Well, they say that, but I'm hearing they aren't sure we need a Speaker just yet....
  • Options
    The House should go with Hoyle. I've seen nothing to suggest he'll be particularly favourable to either the Brexit or Remain cause.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

No. He just gets replaced by the voters at the impending election. And gets himself an allotment.
    He could time share Corbyn's
  • Options

Well, they say that, but I'm hearing they aren't sure we need a Speaker just yet....
    They will vote for a speaker once a speaker is in place
  • Options
    Jared O'Mara for Speaker.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Scott_P said:
    I think four Con Peers have resigned (from the Party, not the Lords) in the last couple of weeks - total has gone from 238 to 234.

Not sure who the others are.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Only until the election.
    Given how resistant the current bunch of MPs seem to be to an election, that could be a long time coming.
  • Options

Jared O'Mara for Speaker.

Get fiona onuyasaya in in a by election
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Pulpstar said:

The House should go with Hoyle. I've seen nothing to suggest he'll be particularly favourable to either the Brexit or Remain cause.

Unfortunately that’s why I’m almost certain that it won’t be him.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Only until the election.
    Given how resistant the current bunch of MPs seem to be to an election, that could be a long time coming.
    The next parliament will probably be as riven as this one. Only with Corbyn in charge of a SNP-PC-LD-LAB-Green Gov't.

It'll make the Johnson premiership look like halycon days.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Good speakers keep order without encouraging disorder. Bercow wants to play lead
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Byronic said:

viewcode said:

Because then the next speaker will be chosen by this Commons and not a new one after a GE .

Anyway I think he’s done as much as he could to stop the lunatics in the Tory party.
    It is meaningless though as each Commons gets to.pick its Speaker. If so minded they could simply pick someone else.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I think both Bernard Wetherill and Betty Boothroyd will go down in history as good speakers.

The next two... not so much.
  • Options
    Have I got this right - Bercow to stand down as Speaker on the 31st Oct so that he can be installed as PM at 22:59 and Revoke Brexit with 1 minute to spare?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Haha. No chance an SNP MP getting to be speaker. Ironic wanting to stand to be speaker for a parliament you don't want to be in.
  • Options
    Worth noting Bercow wasn't always seen as the scourge of Brexiteers

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1171078752924774400
  • Options
    Modesty, though, hasn't historically been a strong suit of Dan Hodges, either.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Only until the election.
    The next parliament will probably be as riven as this one. Only with Corbyn in charge of a SNP-PC-LD-LAB-Green Gov't.

It'll make the Johnson premiership look like halycon days.
    That is why Johnson is better off losing the election. But, not too badly.

He needs most seats, but providing he ensures Corby has to depend on SNP & PC & LD & Greens, Johnson should be fine.
  • Options

Modesty, though, hasn't historically been a strong suit of Dan Hodges, either.
    He's the only person who has blocked me on twitter after I reported him to the Press Complaints commission over an article he wrote that involved some... "private polling" :D
This discussion has been closed.