Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A cunning ruse to persuade Corbyn to give Boris Johnson his ea

Comments

• Options
    kle4 said:

This latest defeat is particularly embarrassing for the government. Like Barnesian I thought it would have failed, it did seem a bit overeachy at casual glance

Boris Johnson and Dominic Cummings are not generating goodwill.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    kle4 said:

This latest defeat is particularly embarrassing for the government. Like Barnesian I thought it would have failed, it did seem a bit overeachy at casual glance

I would've been in favour of the govt being forced to publish the "No Deal" document, but the stuff about making people publish their text messages seems a bit odd.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

A significant number of members didn't vote - not sure whether they were abstentions or something else.

I am really not a fan of the SO24 nonsense. Emergency debates are all well and good - and have their place. But substantive motions that have real impact need time to be discussed - not rushed through.

It is Bercow who has allowed this change. And it really isn't for the better.

This is a fishing expedition - and not a healthy one.
  • Options
    The Grieve Humble Address is very broadly drawn and many of Gove's objections have some merit. However we are in an epochal constitutional struggle between executive and legislature. Mill's harm test is passed in my view. I've no problem with the Government coming back with with a redacted set of communications and publishing the legal advice justifying those redactions. I think the Commons got it right re putting the ball in the Government's court.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Who won't Corbyn give way to - someone behind him ?!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Gabs2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Sounds sensible enough from Bridgen tbh.
    It is the obvious way through. Also let them have the option to reverse it with another referendum at any point.
    Or we could just skip the intermediate step and go for the border poll.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Gabs2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Sounds sensible enough from Bridgen tbh.
    It is the obvious way through. Also let them have the option to reverse it with another referendum at any point.
    The problem, from one angle, is that while you can defend a referendum on a particular aspect of the deal relating to that area without requiring a re-run of the original referendum, it is far far easier message to say 'if they get to vote, why can't the rest of us?'
  • Options

The Grieve Humble Address is very broadly drawn and many of Gove's objections have some merit. However we are in an epochal constitutional struggle between executive and legislature. Mill's harm test is passed in my view. I've no problem with the Government coming back with with a redacted set of communications and publishing the legal advice justifying those redactions. I think the Commons got it right re putting the ball in the Government's court.

The Commons didn't have time to consider this question properly. SO24 debates were never intended for this sort of motion.

Something as serious as opening up advice in this way needed far more discussion with input, research and real debate. Not a 2 hour Monday afternoon wheeze on the part of Grieve.
  • Options

kle4 said:

A significant number of members didn't vote - not sure whether they were abstentions or something else.

I am really not a fan of the SO24 nonsense. Emergency debates are all well and good - and have their place. But substantive motions that have real impact need time to be discussed - not rushed through.

One does wonder what could be forced through in a rush which is not justified (not that everyone agrees the current stuff has been justified)
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

New market:

Next UK GE - Boston and Skegness (Con Maj 16,572, Matt Warman MP)

Con 1/8
    Bxp 4/1
    Lab 25/1
    LD 100/1

My model gives:

Con 22,382
    BXP 8,325
    LD 5,514
    Lab 5,099

Not great odds but the 1/8 on the Tories looks value to me.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Considering his ancestor led the Tory Party to the worst defeat and lowest voteshare in its history in 1832 not sure that is too bad news
  • Options

kle4 said:

1) the government draws its power from the legislature. If it has lost the legislature, that body should be given every opportunity to have its say.

2) it’s a bit more than a fishing expedition. The whole manoeuvre stinks to high heaven.

3) the government really cannot complain about rush on this occasion.
  • Options

The No Brexit Bill has Royal Assent.

Another HY certain prediction that was utterly wrong.

LOL.

When did I say it would not gain royal assent? Putting words in my mouth again I see
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

kle4 said:

1) the government draws its power from the legislature. If it has lost the legislature, that body should be given every opportunity to have its say.

2) it’s a bit more than a fishing expedition. The whole manoeuvre stinks to high heaven.

If it has lost the legislature it should be replaced as a government. The refusal to appoint another government or hold an election is a ridiculous situation caused by the terribly written FTPA.
  • Options
    Bone will miss Bercow I suspect.
  • Options
    While talking of my predictions....
  • Options

The Commons didn't have time to consider this question properly. SO24 debates were never intended for this sort of motion.

Something as serious as opening up advice in this way needed far more discussion with input, research and real debate. Not a 2 hour Monday afternoon wheeze on the part of Grieve.
    Indeed. But parliament is being prorouged tonight for the longest period since WW2. If one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter then one man's abuse of proceedure is another man's check and balance.
  • Options
    Hmm, this person has been right about a few things before they were in the public domain.

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1171103089929199619?s=21
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    HYUFD said:

Considering his ancestor led the Tory Party to the worst defeat and lowest voteshare in its history in 1832 not sure that is too bad news
    Losing Churchill's and Wellington's descendants in one week is not a good tory look. I imagine the current D of Marl is not a working peer, so he won't be getting the full set.
  • Options
    Don't see much discussion about the reports France wants a 2 year extension.

Surely if that goes ahead then if there's no deal we just leave by revoking the 1972 Act and leave that way?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    The government claimed the prorogation was for a queens speech, if there have been discussions that show that this was not true then they should be in the public domain. If anything shines some light on the impact of no deal brexit is available it should be for everybody to see.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

If it has lost the legislature it should be replaced as a government. The refusal to appoint another government or hold an election is a ridiculous situation caused by the terribly written FTPA.
    I completely disagree. Eventually even the dimmest politicians will appreciate that they need to build stable majorities before forming governments. If that means they have to compromise more, well that’s not the worst thing in the world.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Grieve’s motion is another monument waste of time by remainer peacocks.
  • Options

Hmm, this person has been right about a few things before they were in the public domain.

Wasn't the NI-only backstop what Tessie said "no British prime minister could ever sign up to"?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

nico67 said:

Scott_P said:
    That won’t go down well with the SC when the hearing begins on 17th September .

The government becomes more Trumpian by the day .
    No. Grieve is abusing Parliamentary rules to pursue a personal crusade. Bercow - who now has nothing left to lose - is aiding and abetting in that.

It is vital to any government for the advice of officials to remain private - that is not Trumpian, it is necessary and how things work.
    Freedom of informati

Surely if that goes ahead then if there's no deal we just leave by revoking the 1972 Act and leave that way?

France says a lot of things.
  • Options

No two year extension then 15 year transition would be ideal.
  • Options
    How can Grieve's motion be complied with if Parliament is prorogued?

Or does Parliament not get prorogued yet now?
  • Options

New market

Next GE - Wimbledon (Con Maj 5,622, Stephen Hammond MP)

Con 4/7
    LD 5/4
    Lab 25/1

(Shadsy)

My model gives

Con 18072
    Lab 13558
    LD 11207
    BXP 6582

Lab could win if LDs lend them their votes in large numbers but it's a big stretch.

Lab at 25/1 might be worth a punt. Nah on second thoughts.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

A a legal and post legislative referendum on a NI backstop will take some time. It would be Spring at the earliest. So much for Boris' Do or Die 31/10 deadline.
  • Options

Good - time for the cabinet to act and if necessary take Boris down
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Wasn't the NI-only backstop what Tessie said "no British prime minister could ever sign up to"?
    They are all going home until 15/10
  • Options

HYUFD said:

A a legal and post legislative referendum on a NI backstop will take some time. It would be Spring at the earliest. So much for Boris' Do or Die 31/10 deadline.
    It won't happen unless Boris wins a majority anyway, the DUP would vote against it as would diehard Remainer Tory MPs even if all the ERG voted for it and not enough Labour MPs would support it
  • Options

Boris was literally only just democratically elected.

If any of the cabinet don't like it they should go.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

New market

Con 4/7
    LD 5/4
    Lab 25/1

(Shadsy)

My model gives

Con 18072
    Lab 13558
    LD 11207
    BXP 6582

Lab could win if LDs lend them their votes in large numbers but it's a big stretch.

More likely labour vote goes to the Lib Dem
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

I completely disagree. Eventually even the dimmest politicians will appreciate that they need to build stable majorities before forming governments. If that means they have to compromise more, well that’s not the worst thing in the world.
    I completely support the concept of compromise and we need a lot more of it. But it is a ridiculous situation when we are in a situation where the public can not tell who is running the show. It clearly is not either the PM or the LotO. Who is writing these bills and determining the direction of the country? How can the public vote them out if they don't know who they are? It is very undemocratic this situation.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Danny565 said:

They are all going home until 15/10
    14th to be accurate
  • Options
    A bizarre speech from Blackford given he's about to vote against an election on October 14th.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Roger said:

Anyone know the name of the 'Pettyfogger' from a sedentary position who Bercow took a dislike to?

To whom Bercow took a dislike, surely?
  • Options
    Grieve's target is the Supreme Court hearing penciled in to begin on 17/9/19. Whether you agree with him or not everything he is asking for is relevent to that case.
  • Options
    He is not boris he is Johnson unless you use Jeremy Jo Ian etc stop giving him an image of cuddly that he’s just doesn’t deserve.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

diehard Remainer

"I am an EXCEPTIONAL Remainer, Mr. HYUFD, and since I'm moving up to Rejoining, you should be more polite!"
  • Options

He needs a deal, take this or resign
  • Options
    nichomar said:

He is not boris he is Johnson unless you use Jeremy Jo Ian etc stop giving him an image of cuddly that he’s just doesn’t deserve.

Problem is he is 'Boris' to most everyone and avoiding that is pointless
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Bit harsh to hold that against him!
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freedom of information

That is a well-defined, well-regulated set of procedures - not something rushed through on a Monday afternoon.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    HYUFD said:

Will we dish out end of year awards for the best moment of spin? 😄
  • Options

It will not get through now, the DUP would vote against it, as would Grieve, Gyimah, Greening etc even if every other elected Tory MP did and not enough Labour MPs would vote for it either.

As I said only a Tory majority would make it possible
  • Options

nichomar said:

Even his family call him Al he is Johnson or ****
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

A bizarre speech from Blackford given he's about to vote against an election on October 14th.

14th is a Monday?
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    HYUFD said:

But what about seats?
  • Options
    The Gov't should abstain on this vote I reckon. Or even vote for it, that'd throw a spanner in the opposition's works.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

No matter how many times people tell me that calling him Boris gives him a cuddly image, or someone benefits him, it never stops sounding preposterous to me. Is there any basis to this assumption that because people are familiar with him as 'Boris' that he derives a benefit from that? He seems to have no problem drawing outright hatred from political opponents and derision from many on his own side. The repeated complaints about the name issue comes across as a bit paranoid to me.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Well he is only in the Lords mainly because of who his ancestor was anyway, Wellington was a brilliant general but a crap politician.

The Tories got an even worse voteshare than 1997 under his leadership in 1832
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

But the public call him Boris. It does seem almost childish to try to call him somrthing else

And if you follow my posts I am no supporter of 'Boris'
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Fascinating. We approach the endgame?

The huge irony here is that, if Boris accept this coup, and the deal then passes, he will be the hero of the day. By delivering a decent Brexit.

He will then romp home to a big election win.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

egg said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Swinson 8% more popular than Corbyn with Labour 2017 voters - no details though!

https://order-order.com/2019/09/09/swinson-popular-corbyn-labour-2017-voters/

2017 Tory voters though give Boris huge +43% rating
    How much lower by the end of the month though?
    The longer it goes the worse Tory ratings will get. It’s like the German tactics from WW1 get victory in a month or we are in trouble.
    Makes a welcome change from the WWII references....
    The game plan had to be strong and stable in one hand, love bombs in the other, secure early election win or else the fires now started will burn them. Boris government didn’t drip feed magicmoneytree spending announcements hard to imagine what was hold any back for a manifesto.

Is the window for an election receding? Can we realistically have GE in December or January (when this terrible weather bomb predicted?). Or even later November or early Feb?

In which case like the fluid first month of WW1 when Germany had to reach Paris, what follows for Boris is months without an election. And following the trench warfare?

The being made to look powerless by parliament isn’t helping his leadership image at all. Also, for all the talk of the Labour Party taken over by extremists who will deselect moderate MPs to replace with one of their own, it’s the conservatives actually doing this, on a scale worthy of mention in history books.

All opinion poll is distorted by a brexit prism, onefact we know failure to deliver or any sniff of a compromise deal transfers votes from con column to brexitparty.

Time to start betting on a change of government.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It will not get through now, the DUP would vote against it, as would Grieve, Gyimah, Greening etc even if every other elected Tory MP did and not enough Labour MPs would vote for it either.

As I said only a Tory majority would make it possible
    Resign then
  • Options
    Apparently, the government may actually "win" a Commons vote tonight...

...by letting Corbyn's motion go through unopposed.
  • Options
    I thought he'd been booted out already.

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Well he is only there mainly because of who his ancestor was anyway
    Are you against inheriting things now?
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    egg said:

Nigelb said:

egg said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Swinson 8% more popular than Corbyn with Labour 2017 voters - no details though!

The longer it goes the worse Tory ratings will get. It’s like the German tactics from WW1 get victory in a month or we are in trouble.
    The game plan had to be strong and stable in one hand, love bombs in the other, secure early election win or else the fires now started will burn them. Boris government didn’t drip feed magicmoneytree spending announcements hard to imagine what was hold any back for a manifesto.

Is the window for an election receding? Can we realistically have GE in December or January (when this terrible weather bomb predicted?). Or even later November or early Feb?

In which case like the fluid first month of WW1 when Germany had to reach Paris, what follows for Boris is months without an election. And following the trench warfare?

The being made to look powerless by parliament isn’t helping his leadership image at all. Also, for all the talk of the Labour Party taken over by extremists who will deselect moderate MPs to replace with one of their own, it’s the conservatives actually doing this, on a scale worthy of mention in history books.

All opinion poll is distorted by a brexit prism, onefact we know failure to deliver or any sniff of a compromise deal transfers votes from con column to brexitparty.

That’s bollocks. All the evidence says the public really don’t want no deal, and will happily accept a compromise.
  • Options
    What is being debated at the moment?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nichomar said:

No matter how many times people tell me that calling him Boris gives him a cuddly image, or someone benefits him, it never stops sounding preposterous to me. Is there any basis to this assumption that because people are familiar with him as 'Boris' that he derives a benefit from that? He seems to have no problem drawing outright hatred from political opponents and derision from many on his own side. The repeated complaints about the name issue comes across as a bit paranoid to me.
    Yeah, I mean Hillary Clinton was often referred to even by Republican politicians as "Hillary", but I'm not sure she was seen as a cuddly figure...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Well he is only in the Lords mainly because of who his ancestor was anyway,
    You mean like the unelected Monarchy?
  • Options

New market:

Next UK GE - Boston and Skegness (Con Maj 16,572, Matt Warman MP)

Con 1/8
    Bxp 4/1
    Lab 25/1
    LD 100/1

Where is that?

Is someone starting to assemble seat markets?
    Shadsy:
    Aberdeen South
    Bermondsey and Old Southwark
    Bishop Auckland
    Boston and Skegness
    Chingford and Woodford Green

and 11 others.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

Humble address motion gets through 311-302.

Part of me wants to see a future minority Labour government getting "humble addressed" to distraction.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
  • Options
    nichomar said:

What is being debated at the moment?

Who cares
  • Options
    So assuming there is no GE voted for tonight, the Queens Speech on 14th Oct is certain to be voted down. Will HMQ turn up in such circumstances? I remember after the 2017 GE there was some doubt until it was clear the DUP has agreed to C&S
  • Options

I think this is where we’ll get to. But I still think an MV on that deal would be defeated. The ERG nutters will still vote against (because whatever they say they’ll vote against any deal), Corbyn will whip against (because this is not about doing anything other than causing maximum chaos in government) as will the LDs and SNP who are opposed to anything Brexit flavoured. Then there’s the Tory MPs who will say it’s doing the thing “no prime minister could ever do” to quote Boris’ illustrious predecessor, and creating a border in the Irish Sea. Oh and the DUP won’t like it either...
  • Options

Drutt said:

Humble address motion gets through 311-302.

Part of me wants to see a future minority Labour government getting "humble addressed" to distraction.
    They were debating Kate Humble's address? Blimey!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Well he is only in the Lords mainly because of who his ancestor was anyway, Wellington was a brilliant general but a crap politician.

Did one of your ancestors advise him to bugger off and join the Whigs?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Yes, but she had a DUP gun to her head, metaphorically.
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Fair enough.

And how does that get through the Commons? It's not about a deal anymore, it's about whether Labour or the Tories think they can win an election after an extension, there's no incentive to pass anything as it would let the other off the hook.
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

But the public call him Boris. It does seem almost childish to try to call him somrthing else

That’s the problem he is Johnson alexander boris de f*** knows Johnson not some cuddly bear called boris.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

New market

Con 4/7
    LD 5/4
    Lab 25/1

(Shadsy)

My model gives

Con 18072
    Lab 13558
    LD 11207
    BXP 6582

In 2017, Labour got 18324 votes and LibDems got 7472. That's one hell of a squeeze for the LibDems to pull off. Having said that, LibDems did just come 2nd in Wimbledon back in 2010.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

And good to see you dissing the hereditary principle.

I trust this extends to the Head of State.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

I'll get my coat.
    What's his beef?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    kle4 said:

And how does that get through the Commons? It's not about a deal anymore, it's about whether Labour or the Tories think they can win an election after an extension, there's no incentive to pass anything as it would let the other off the hook.

Exactly. Nothing will pass now. Both sides think they are about to win an election.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I did not say he could not be in the Lords along with the few remaining hereditary peers, just that like the royals he holds his family history on his shoulders as a hereditary peer.

He is there by ancestry not by personal merit as such
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

nichomar said:

Yeah, I mean Hillary Clinton was often referred to even by Republican politicians as "Hillary", but I'm not sure she was seen as a cuddly figure...
    I thought they called her ‘her’ as in lock her up
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Yes, but she had a DUP gun to her head, metaphorically.
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Fair enough.

Its 'Kinnocks' deal sponsored by Stephen Kinnock, Rory Stewart, Norman Lamb and others plus the NI issue.

Many say this will not work but there are upwards of 30 plus labour mps supporting this, add in moderate conservative and independent conservatives and others and you may be surprised how close this could come to passing

And under the no deal act it has to come back to the house
  • Options

I'll get my coat.
    What's his beef?
    All these Wellington puns have bombed.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

The 1832 Wellington was a proper Tory not a fake Tory liberal Whig like Peel but other proper Tory leaders in the 19th century like Pitt, Disraeli and Salisbury were far more successful Tory leaders than he was
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

The 1832 Wellington was a proper Tory not a fake Tory liberal Whig like Peel but other proper Tory leaders in the 19th century like Pitt, Disraeli and Salisbury were far more successful Tory leaders than he was
    So he was an ERGer?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    "John Bercow resignation statement: Speaker warns 'We degrade this Parliament at our peril'"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/09/09/john-bercow-resignation-statement-speaker-warns-degrade-parliament/

Sorry sweet cheeks in the eyes of the public Parliament is already degraded to such a point it can't get any lower.

If someone burned the whole place down right now I'd shed no tears for it.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

That’s the problem he is Johnson alexander boris de f*** knows Johnson not some cuddly bear called boris.
    We know you do not like him but he is Boris and that is that
  • Options

New market

Con 4/7
    LD 5/4
    Lab 25/1

(Shadsy)

Shadsy looks to have priced that about right to me.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I did not say he could not be in the Lords along with the few remaining hereditary peers, just that like the royals he holds his family history on his shoulders as a hereditary peer.

He is there by ancestry not by personal merit as such
    So just like the queen then. No personal merit for the office they hold.
  • Options

I'll get my coat.
    What's his beef?
    It’s a rare opportunity to be a pastry
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

You're not making any sense. Who the heck thinks he is some cuddly bear called Boris? He's an arse called Boris, why do you think people are liking him more because they call him Boris?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

New market

Con 4/7
    LD 5/4
    Lab 25/1

(Shadsy)

My model gives

Con 18072
    Lab 13558
    LD 11207
    BXP 6582

In 2017, Labour got 18324 votes and LibDems got 7472. That's one hell of a squeeze for the LibDems to pull off. Having said that, LibDems did just come 2nd in Wimbledon back in 2010.
    The seat was also Labour-held 1997 - 2005.Voters are likely to remember that.
  • Options
    Liberal Democrats just stated they’d go straight for revocation in a deadline emergency.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Boris's retirement fund?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

You're not making any sense. Who the heck thinks he is some cuddly bear called Boris? He's an arse called Boris, why do you think people are liking him more because they call him Boris?
    Ok I’ll accept from now on that he is an arse called boris.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    nunuone said:

HYUFD said:

But what about seats?
    Balfour did worse on seats in 1906 but better on voteshare than 1832 and 1997
  • Options

Liberal Democrats just stated they’d go straight for revocation in a deadline emergency.

Good for them. Another clear policy
  • Options

Shoukd get them a few more Labour Remainers
  • Options
    Byronic said:

egg said:

Nigelb said:

egg said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

That’s bollocks. All the evidence says the public really don’t want no deal, and will happily accept a compromise.
    But the impact on the Conservative Party? Does anyone care? 😕

incessant spin from HY is robust denial to the true road they are on.

Conservatives are being deselected and thrown out on basis of voting remain and fearing no deal. This is their only “crime”

It’s a huge moment in looking at the slow decline of the Conservative Party over the last 30 years (no decent majority since eighty-seven) The road they are on is being disguised by the opiate of brexit that’s in the system. As your short post actually proves.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
    GIN1138 said:

"John Bercow resignation statement: Speaker warns 'We degrade this Parliament at our peril'"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/09/09/john-bercow-resignation-statement-speaker-warns-degrade-parliament/

Sorry sweet cheeks in the eyes of the public Parliament is already degraded to such a point it can't get any lower.

If someone burned the whole place down right now I'd shed no tears for it.

So much for the Brexit take back control prospectus.

You’re a self declared revolutionary anarchist.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302

Good for them. Another clear policy
    Yes, but they can have a clear policy that is not so divisive. they could say, we'll accept the referendum so we think that EFTA will satisfy it. unfortunately, there is no-one willing to accept compromise on this issue anymore.
This discussion has been closed.