Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Ber

SystemSystem Posts: 6,666
edited September 9 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Bercow, and will soon see the end of No Deal, I think

Boris Johnson maintains his perfect record of losing every single House of Commons vote held under his premiership. https://t.co/AIr8uBw6ui

Read the full story here

Comments

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 9,778
    edited September 9
    First like the Boris HoC victory we're still awaiting?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 21,129
    No more Bercs in the Commons?

If only it were so...
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,256
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,626
    Freggles said:
    Yup - he’s been averaging a tweet a day for a couple of weeks.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 12,786
    I've been busy most of the day and have no idea where we are now. I suspect most of the country will be in the same boat tomorrow.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 26,780
    Bercow will not be missed. Good riddance. I’d make him wait a very long time for Ermine.
    edited September 9
  • Another legal challenge to Boris. And a very angry Lady Sylvia Hermon referencing Jonathon Suumption's view on this to the Government front bench.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/09/liberty-seeks-judicial-review-forcing-johnson-to-abide-by-brexit-bill
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 47,075
    edited September 9
    Freggles said:
    Yeah, but on the other hand, screw the DUP. But it's not happening.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 15,733
    Freggles said:
    Yes I believe that is the Twitter account of TSEs favourite political strategist! :D
  • I've been busy most of the day and have no idea where we are now. I suspect most of the country will be in the same boat tomorrow.

I'm supposed to be someone who pays close attention to politics, particularly during my stints as editor, and I cannot keep up.

I think this is the stint with most threads that have ended up on the cutting room floor because of events.
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 6,337

Another legal challenge to Boris. And a very angry Lady Sylvia Hermon referencing Jonathon Suumption's view on this to the Government front bench.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/09/liberty-seeks-judicial-review-forcing-johnson-to-abide-by-brexit-bill

The court said it was entirely hypothetical and chucked it out
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 26,673
    Nick Robinson is wrong. Boris Johnson is minus 23 MPs.
    Well the suspension bit did, technically. Not sure how it helps them.
  • isamisam Posts: 27,683
    Interesting free debate on free speech

I've been busy most of the day and have no idea where we are now. I suspect most of the country will be in the same boat tomorrow.

I'm supposed to be someone who pays close attention to politics, particularly during my stints as editor, and I cannot keep up.

I think this is the stint with most threads that have ended up on the cutting room floor because of events.
    When is OGH back? Things should calm down a bit then :wink:
    Byronic said:

nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

DanSmith said:

Basically all these defeats meaning nothing if Boris comes back to the commons next month with a deal that gets voted through. He's then getting a landslide in an election very shortly afterwards. I fear the remainers have blundered by not taking the election.

This House Of Common will never vote for any deal.
    Indeed. There is no form of a deal that can get through this House.
    As an ardent Remainer at this point I’d accept a deal that led to an orderly withdrawal . A no deal would trash relations with the EU for years and at least with a deal the country has a chance of moving on . A no deal would lead to years of bitter acrimony, even worse than now.

If a deal comes forward then I think MPs will be under tremendous pressure to pass it.

I think Brexit is a disaster but a deal now is the only way to save the country .
    Agreed. My hunch is, if the Tory Cabinet can settle on a deal, it would pass the Commons. I'm not sure Corbyn would whip against it, but even if he did, dozens of Labour MPs would rebel, out of fear of No Deal.
    I know we love circular arguments - I sure do - but I am still a little amazed we're still consdering 'Labour MPs will save Brexit' as something realistic.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 26,673
    39 MPs have changed party allegiance at least once this year so far.
  • GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:
    Yes I believe that is the Twitter account of TSEs favourite political strategist! :D
    No, Lucy Powell is my favourite political strategist, she convinced Ed Miliband that in England & Wales who voted Labour in 2010 would vote Labour in 2015 plus at least 50% of Lib Dems would switch to Labour.

Nick Robinson is wrong. Boris Johnson is minus 23 MPs.
    And it will be 6 defeats by cob today.
  • I'm fairly sure Bridgen's intervention on a NI referendum is about being able to vote against MV4 when it doesn't contain said referendum rather than actually wanting one. A legal and post legislative referendum in NI isn't happening before Spring at the earliest. And the enabling legislation would be a Christmas Tree bill for both anti No Dealers and the Lords. That's before People's Vote ask why GB can't vote on the WA if NI can.
  • I've been busy most of the day and have no idea where we are now. I suspect most of the country will be in the same boat tomorrow.

He's back Sunday and I hand back the keys Monday morning.

He's back Sunday and I hand back the keys Monday morning.
    Hmmm still plenty of time for Cummings to be fired, Boris to resign and the prorogation to be ruled illegal before then. :smile:

And how many bye elections as Douglas Carswell did when he changed party ?

No wonder the public despise MPs.
    edited September 9
    Should they still be called rebels? Ex-rebels perhaps

P.S I see in the replies many are also querying the use of rebels, but for a completely different reason that they think it is a pejorative or because they have integrity (which means you cannot rebel somehow?). Weird.
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,235

Another legal challenge to Boris. And a very angry Lady Sylvia Hermon referencing Jonathon Suumption's view on this to the Government front bench.

Complete government inertia as every single thing they do gets contested in the courts. Meanwhile the country will rot. Welcome to the future. It's here, now. Democracy is dead.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,139
    kle4 said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

DanSmith said:

Basically all these defeats meaning nothing if Boris comes back to the commons next month with a deal that gets voted through. He's then getting a landslide in an election very shortly afterwards. I fear the remainers have blundered by not taking the election.

As an ardent Remainer at this point I’d accept a deal that led to an orderly withdrawal . A no deal would trash relations with the EU for years and at least with a deal the country has a chance of moving on . A no deal would lead to years of bitter acrimony, even worse than now.

If a deal comes forward then I think MPs will be under tremendous pressure to pass it.

I think Brexit is a disaster but a deal now is the only way to save the country .
    Agreed. My hunch is, if the Tory Cabinet can settle on a deal, it would pass the Commons. I'm not sure Corbyn would whip against it, but even if he did, dozens of Labour MPs would rebel, out of fear of No Deal.
    I know we love circular arguments - I sure do - but I am still a little amazed we're still consdering 'Labour MPs will save Brexit' as something realistic.
    Quite. The idea that any Labour MP (apart from Kate Hoey) will vote to save Johnson is for the birds.

Brexit is over, it will not happen. It was lost through the hubris of its own supporters - they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:
    No, Lucy Powell is my favourite political strategist, she convinced Ed Miliband that in England & Wales who voted Labour in 2010 would vote Labour in 2015 plus at least 50% of Lib Dems would switch to Labour.

:D
  • Another legal challenge to Boris. And a very angry Lady Sylvia Hermon referencing Jonathon Suumption's view on this to the Government front bench.

Complete government inertia as every single thing they do gets contested in the courts. Meanwhile the country will rot. Welcome to the future. It's here, now. Democracy is dead.
    This can all be avoided if the Government follows the rule of law.
  • tysontyson Posts: 4,635

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

Lucy is a very nice name....if someone called Lucy was telling me the same, I would most certainly believe her. I would believe a Lucy on absolute anything....

• GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

Dave was right, if only the country had listened to him in 2016.
    tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

Lucy is a very nice name....if someone called Lucy was telling me the same, I would most certainly believe her. I would believe a Lucy on absolute anything....

Lucy says: no more Brexit.
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

TSE....are you still a Cameron sycophant? And if your answer is a YES....you're credibility is as fucked as recommending pineapple on a pizza....
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 1,952
    kle4 said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

DanSmith said:

You've got to remember that LOADS of Labour MPs really don't like their own leader (and his pals) and will happily defy him, especially if by doing so they are "saving the country".

Sensible Remainers will see a deal as a possible way of getting the UK back into the EU, one day. Sensible Leavers will take whatever is on offer, now, as Brexit itself is imperilled.

Call me naive, but I still believe rationality will win. In the end.
  • valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 422

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

What makes you say DC was right about EM?

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

Seriously comrade..are you being serious?

Cameron needs to be shallowed, Pesci style.....

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 77,123
    edited September 9
    tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

TSE....are you still a Cameron sycophant? And if your answer is a YES....you're credibility is as fucked as recommending pineapple on a pizza....
    I'm never a sycophant.

I miss Dave, I really do, I miss the good old days when a political crisis was when Dave last had a pasty.

It felt like a kick on the nuts when I was told he was going to resign, and it still does.
  • spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 344

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

In 20 years time there's going to be some fascinating documentaries on 'the beginnings of brexit' (because it still won't be over) and Dave will not look good. That being said, TM and BJ have not covered themselves with glory on this either.
    Iain Dale has been told who's on May's resignation honours and tweets #troubleahead
    TGOHF said:

And how many bye elections as Douglas Carswell did when he changed party ?

No wonder the public despise MPs.
    Quite mad that none of them felt the need to have one
    They've got to actually agree to a general election first. Whoever can see that happening?
  • Iain Dale has been told who's on May's resignation honours and tweets #troubleahead

Knighthood for George Osborne and because of my awesome support of her leadership I'm finally get my GCMG.
  • NooNoo Posts: 788

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

I'm never a sycophant.

I miss Dave, I really do, I miss the good old days when a political crisis was when Dave last had a pasty.

It felt like a kick on the nuts when I was told he was going to resign, and it still does.
    Jesus

Iain Dale has been told who's on May's resignation honours and tweets #troubleahead

Knighthood for George Osborne and because of my awesome support of her leadership I'm finally get my GCMG.
    Olly Robbins to the HoL
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 31,443
    edited September 9

It is a period of civil war. REMAINER spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil TORY EMPIRE. During the battle, Remainer spies managed to steal secret plans to the Tories' ultimate weapon, the PROROGATION, an armoured space station with enough power to destroy an entire parliamentary session!

Pursued by the Tories' sinister agents, Princess Nicola Anna Heidi Jo races home aboard her battle bus, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her Party and restore Freedom of Movement to the Continent…
    Dear Santa
    Please may I have no seats north of the Wash
    Regards
    Labour

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

I'm never a sycophant.

Cameron should have had a proper plan for the EU Ref, including a plan for negotiating a deal and a commitment for a confirmatory referendum once the deal was agreed.

He fucked up massively and will take a huge share of the blame when the history is written.
    Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

DanSmith said:

Asworse than now.

Agrl.
    You've got to remember that LOADS of Labour MPs really don't like their own leader (and his pals) and will happily defy him, especially if by doing so they are "saving the country".

Sensible Remainers will see a deal as a possible way of getting the UK back into the EU, one day. Sensible Leavers will take whatever is on offer, now, as Brexit itself is imperilled.

I will call you naiive. I think that if such rationality was going to win out it would have done so before the last extension. That was the moment people had to stand up and decide if they would compromise on the extreme positions they had adopted or kick the can. Some did seek compromise (including May talking to Labour, this is not me saying people can only compromise toward one goal), but MPs as a whole decided to kick the can. They have decided by majority once more to kick the can rather than retreat from extreme positions, positions which have only grown more extreme. Why would rationality and compromise break out now, but not earlier?

To 'save the country'? The ultra leavers have swayed most of the moderate leavers to the view that no deal is the only way to save the country by ensuring the referendum is delivered. The ultra remainers have swayed most of the moderate remainers that resisting any leave option is saving the country because that is what staying in the EU does.

That's the problem with hoping people will wake up to rationality, that they will compromise to 'save the country'. Almost all of them will think they are already doing both.

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

I'm never a sycophant.

Ooh were you told before it became public knowledge?!
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 30,182

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

I'm never a sycophant.

I miss Dave too, although not Osborne.

I miss Hague as well, in the abstract, but felt he’d become a busted flush by the end and mainly interested in Angelina Jolie.
    Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

DanSmith said:

Nah. Rationality went out of the window around MV2.

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

I'm never a sycophant.

Don't forget the huskies, or who the fuck understood what the "big society" meant....or whether Cameron supported West Ham or Aston Villa...what lovely days....

I miss those halcyon days of Blair and Brown when we quarrelled over whether Blair could eat a 99 flake properly....or Brown generally liked the Arctic Monkeys...

Instead we have Cummings, Johnson, Farage, Corbyn, Milne, McCuskey, McDonnell running this whole fucking shitstorm.....

It is a period of civil war. REMAINER spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil TORY EMPIRE. During the battle, Remainer spies managed to steal secret plans to the Tories' ultimate weapon, the PROROGATION, an armoured space station with enough power to destroy an entire parliamentary session!

Pursued by the Tories' sinister agents, Princess Nicola Anna Heidi Jo races home aboard her battle bus, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her Party and restore Freedom of Movement to the Continent…

One of your best efforts @Sunil!

Small point of order - it should be "...REBEL ALLIANCE spaceships..." surely?
  • spudgfsh said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

In 20 years time there's going to be some fascinating documentaries on 'the beginnings of brexit' (because it still won't be over) and Dave will not look good. That being said, TM and BJ have not covered themselves with glory on this either.
    Nobody has.

Well, maybe Ken Clarke.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 7,863
    To think Hague was once considered as right-wing and Eurosceptic as Tories could get...
    edited September 9

Oh it'll be a storm in a tea cup as usual. All honours we get the moaning about certain people getting rewarded, but I honestly don't have a big problem with it in resignation honours, gongs don't mean anything and it's a minor way of letting a leader of this country show appreciation to a few people.

Peerages are a different matter- the granting of legislative authority should not be given out so casually.
    Seems unnecessary more than anything else.
  • "The Tories: A Warning From History"

Episode 1: 2010 - Helped into Power
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 30,182
    edited September 9
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

Seems funny now, but how do we know that wasn’t true either?

We can’t relive the alternate timeline but it might have involved a second Scottish referendum that was successful, and/or an even more asymmetric devolution settlement that strained the Union and stoked English nationalism, a further European treaty that accumulated more powers to the EU - further dividing the UK on the subject - and unsustainable levels of deficit and public spending as various special interests pleaded their case.

It would not have been a particularly stable or successful Government, and our economic recovery and employment would have suffered.

So chaos could have occurred, just of a different kind. That’s where the country is at.

Talking Britain down? I thought that was illegal these days.
  • I've seen the Theresa May honours list.

Knighthoods for Geoff Boycott and Andrew Strauss, I can live with that.
    edited September 9
    Danny565 said:

To think Hague was once considered as right-wing and Eurosceptic as Tories could get...
    Like so many in politics it was all a charade.

I've seen the Theresa May honours list.

Great news for Sir Geoff - long overdue.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 769
    edited September 9
    So ultimately this past few days has seen yet again lots of blood and thunder (and controversy, and drama, resignations, defections, votes, filibustering, elections talk, emergency debates, government defeats, grandstanding, constitutional chaos, rumours and, and, and...) but still, nothing actually concretely resolved in the ongoing Brexit grind.

Now back to not much happening, more back to clock ticking down to the last few days with very little in the meantime.

Every time you think...this will be the time...and every time it isn't. Just yet another ratcheting up.

A situation we've been in before and almost certainly will be again at some point.

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

We can’t relive the alternate timeline but it might have involved a second Scottish referendum that was successful, an even asymmetric devolution settlement that strained the Union and stoked English nationalism, a further European treaty that accumulated more powers to the EU - further dividing the UK on the subject - and unsustainable levels of deficit and public spending as various special interests pleaded their case.

It would not have been a particularly stable or successful Government, and our economic recovery and employment would have suffered.
    "it might.. have stoked English nationalism"
    Thank god we dodged that bullet :neutral:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

We can’t relive the alternate timeline but it might have involved a second Scottish referendum that was successful, an even asymmetric devolution settlement that strained the Union and stoked English nationalism, a further European treaty that accumulated more powers to the EU - further dividing the UK on the subject - and unsustainable levels of deficit and public spending as various special interests pleaded their case.

Comrade......stop digging....Ed Miliband would NOT have been worse....

I posted to you a year or so ago about whether you genuinely believed a Tory Govt was worth the price of all this nonsense..you said yes..partisan claptrap...

That is why I am happy that you can see the faultiness as clearly as others.....
    Is there any conceivable point to the government holding a further FTPA GE vote tonight?

So ultimately this past few days has seen yet again lots of blood and thunder (and controversy, and drama, resignations, defections, votes, elections talk, emergency debates, government defeats, grandstanding, rumours and, and, and...)

Yes. Don't forget the absurd Speaker nearly in tears this afternoon. :D
  • Peerage for Kim Darroch and Gavin Barwell.

CBEs for Nick Timothy & Fiona Hill, Brandon Lewis, Julian Smith.

Knighthoods for Lidington, Robbins, Charles Walker,

Peerage for Kim Darroch and Gavin Barwell.

Lidlington ? Bwahahahaha
  • Peerage for Kim Darroch and Gavin Barwell.

OGH for Mike?

Olly Robbins to the HoL
    Boris Johnson to the HoL.
  • TGOHF said:

KP and Piers Morgan are going to have seizures.

Magnificent.
  • Robbie Gibb and George Hollingberry have both got Knighthoods as well.

Usual honours for the donors.
  • Dear Santa
    Regards
    Labour
    Apart tons of seats in Greater Manchester, Greater Liverpool and Greater Newcastle. And in Leeds, and Sheffield and... quite a few really.

TGOHF said:

Magnificent.
    About Strauss ? Not sure how much he contributed to the WC win to be honest. Ben Stokes would have been a better shout.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 295
    Arguably more logical than the ludicrous BINO V Remain referendum which would simply be boycotted en masse by leavers and fail to settle the issue.

Is there any conceivable point to the government holding a further FTPA GE vote tonight?

Saying the opposition refused an election once not sufficient, so make them refuse it twice? They need to emphasise as hard as possible that parliament is stopping it going back to the people (even though parliament will do that, once it thinks it will for sure win).

• solarflaresolarflare Posts: 769
    Peerages for anyone who soundproofs their rolling news gazebos so you can watch 3 hours of it without wishing bad things against everyone shouting unintelligible stuff in the background like a spanner.

Don't say the word "conceivable", it gets Boris ruffled.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 77,123
    edited September 9
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Magnificent.
    About Strauss ? Not sure how much he contributed to the WC win to be honest. Ben Stokes would have been a better shout.
    He contributed loads, both Bayliss and Morgan said the WC win was down to him.

To show opposition hypocrisy and harden public opinion against them?

Surprised she's given anything to Nick Timothy.

He did nothing but make her life a misery after she fired him.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 28,335

That would be the reason.

A peerage for Gavin Barwell? CBEs for Nick and Fiona? Did Theresa May see the controversy around Cameron's list and decide to dial it up to 11?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 28,335

Robbie Gibb and George Hollingberry have both got Knighthoods as well.

Donors shouldn't get knighthoods IMO.

Dear Santa
    Regards
    Labour
    Apart tons of seats in Greater Manchester, Greater Liverpool and Greater Newcastle. And in Leeds, and Sheffield and... quite a few really.
    Well obviously, I'm being hyperbolic but given that 23% or so of labour supporters (on polling) are leavers and most of those in the north it would be 'brave'

Only we political nerds are watching.

Tomorrow's headlines will be "government forced to hand over documents" and "Hague says expelling Tory rebels was wrong"

Boris wants to vote a second time on a GE, now MPs have a little more information.
    Boris doesn't want the public to vote a second time on Brexit, despite them having a lot more information.

Did you say something about hypocrites?
    “Hand over your whatsapp messages !”

Click - delete

“What messages?”
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 14,566

Can’t we appoint him PM for the next decade, then ?
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 20,385

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

I'm never a sycophant.

Yes but think of the huge upside

No Osborne
    The government will be very pleased if we are due to get Mays' resignation honours out - since honours cause such a flap it will distract slightly from their utter incompetence.
    Noo said:

Don't say the word "conceivable", it gets Boris ruffled.
    I like to imagine Cummings convinced Boris to follow a strategy just by playing into his style by dropping classical references or something.

Look, Boris mate, this f*cking opposition have been chasing after us for an election for bloody ages, right, so what we do is turn it around on 'em like Hannibal at Lake Trasimene. I know what I'm talking about, alright, they made a tv movie about me!

(apologies to the real Cummings, about whom I know nothing other than what his opponents say. But that;s how I picture him)
    AndyJS said:

Robbie Gibb and George Hollingberry have both got Knighthoods as well.

Donors shouldn't get knighthoods IMO.
    Totally right. Pure cronyism.
  • Dear Santa
    Regards
    Labour
    Well obviously, I'm being hyperbolic but given that 23% or so of labour supporters (on polling) are leavers and most of those in the north it would be 'brave'
    Would it swing many seats though?
This discussion has been closed.