Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Case of the Missing Documents

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2019
    The Conservatives have won the Manitoba election with a higher share of the vote than the polls were forecasting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Manitoba_general_election

The Canadian federal election is expected to be announced today.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Ok watching Judge on BBC news now it is clear no order has been made pending SC appeal. So prorogation not yet quashed and Cherry is talking out of her arse
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Be a shame if parliament was recalled and Boris tabled a one line election bill for the day of Corbyns leader speech
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 841
    Conservatives keep breaking the rule of law!!!!
    Someone will end up in Prison, the only question is which Conservative that might be.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,184

Boris has decided to smash every record possible in his short tenure as Prime Minister. And I do now expect it to be short. Parliament seems clear to not want to discard its duties with regards to Brexit, and has a substantial number of deselected/newly moved/independent MPs who don't want a new election.

Johnson will end up resigning the government

Or we could have chaos with Theresa May...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

tlg86 said:

What's the point of the prorogation of parliament now, anyway? Johnson can't legally drive us over the cliff so the whole circus should be allowed back in the big top so that the useless fuckers can at least try and earn the money we give them.

Perhaps the government would actually like to have a Queen's Speech?
    What's she going to say? "My government doesn't have a majority and is about as useful as tits on a fish"?
    Face it, Brexit and the Tories are done. Time to move on.
    But we can't because the numpties on the other side won't have an election. What an utter shambles.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,088
    Scott_P said:
    So, in practice, if parliament is no longer prorogued (pending the government's appeal), what will happen?

Who will decide whether parliament actually sits?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But it’s not illegal.

Three judges just ruled it is...
    They’re wrong.
    Who gets to decide if not the court? You? Boris? Everyone just makes their own mind up and we choose anarchy?

I dont understand your point, is it that you think the court is wrong to rule it illegal? Or that the court doesnt have the power to rule it illegal?
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,667

Scott_P said:
    The court has declared that the prorogation is null and void...
    Yup

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1171717556257906688
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,667
    Do we think Johnson could be held in contempt of court AND contempt of parliament in the same year?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    At least he gets things done quickly!
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,880

What's the point of the prorogation of parliament now, anyway? Johnson can't legally drive us over the cliff so the whole circus should be allowed back in the big top so that the useless fuckers can at least try and earn the money we give them.

Just for starters, Johnson was supposed to be giving evidence to a committee in Parliament today.
  • Options
    Absolutely no basis to recall Parliament yet. I cannot believe lawyers like Starmer and Cherry have this so wrong. Unless they're playing politics....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929

Good point. Wasn't the original plan to give Rebel Alliance less time to get it together and run down the clock? That failed, so surely re-opening would give more time for RA to fall apart in bickering?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Scott_P said:
    We’re watching the union end before our eyes.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But it’s not illegal.

They’re wrong.
    Is that irony? If not, please give us your legal credentials
  • Options
    So the plan of the Conservative and UNIONIST party is to take an appeal to the supreme court to argue that English Law supersedes Scottish Law.

That'll be popular, but as they have already binned off NornIron we shouldn't be surprised that they are happy to bin off Scotland
  • Options

malcolmg said:

JonathanD said:

If it now gets overturned in the UK Supreme Court that would be very good long term for Scottish independence.

Agreed. It is a very bad look having Scottish legal decisions overturned by a court in London given they are supposed to.be separate legal systems.
    It's a pyramid system, not a separate system.
    It is fixed with them puting the Scottish system subject to the English Supreme Court because they did not like Scotland having any say.. It will not go down well if overturned and will be more nails in the coffin of the union
    It will be a legal decision based upon legal opinion, not politics. It is the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom, not England. Nationalists will try and frame it as you have no doubt, but it would be more nationalist BS, but sure, there are gullible people who will fall for that line.
    But the trouble with that and with the system as a whole is that the legal systems are different on each side of the border. It is conceivable that something that is rightly declared illegal under Scottish law could be legal under English law. If the Supreme Court then rules according to English law then justice has not been served in Scotland.
  • Options
    To be fair, that's probably spot on. Don't like the answer given by a judge? Find another one.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But it’s not illegal.

They’re wrong.
    Who gets to decide if not the court? You? Boris? Everyone just makes their own mind up and we choose anarchy?

I dont understand your point, is it that you think the court is wrong to rule it illegal? Or that the court doesnt have the power to rule it illegal?
    Edit - just seen your answer downthread. Thanks.
  • Options

Ok watching Judge on BBC news now it is clear no order has been made pending SC appeal. So prorogation not yet quashed and Cherry is talking out of her arse

The summary judgment says an order will be made declaring prorogation null and of no effect.

As far as I can see it doesn't say anything about the Supreme Court appeal.
  • Options

Does that mean the Queen has also acted unlawfully?

Lock her up!

Though I’ll accept the imprisonments of JRM and Boris Johnson instead.
    This was a civil court I think, which can't imprison people AFAIK.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The Queens Speech would not be held until the planned date, unless the government asks the Queen to hold it on a different date. There is a reason why Johnson wanted the Queens Speech so late.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Scott_P said:
    Yup

But not made any implementing order pending Suprene Court hearings
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But it’s not illegal.

They’re wrong.
    If the Scottish courts have indeed just made a ruling, the consequences of which are entirely unclear and result in lawyers arguing amongst themselves as to how it should be interpreted, can't we at least agree on one point from across the Brexit divide?

Namely that the Scottish courts are every bit as cr*p as their football team.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,567

Scott_P said:

They seem to be basing the argument on “the central pillar of good governance principle enshrined in the constitution”.

That seems rather weak to me as a justiciable point: we don’t have a written constitution.

I’d expect the Supreme Court to overturn this.

Hard to argue that a central principle enshrined in our constitution is bad governance though...
    I don’t think that’s relevant.

The PM can advise HMQ (he’s her minister) what he likes on this and shes obliged (constitutional monarch) to follow his advice.

Johnson has made a very bad decision for political reasons, poorly advised HMQ and abused the convention. It will likely result in more of our constitution being written down.

But it’s not illegal.
    Isnt that for the courts to decide?
    The Supreme Court, yes.

I don’t see how Scottish courts have jurisdiction over the Parliament of the whole UK. Only the Court of the whole UK does.

Similarly, I’d expect a Scottish court ruling to have supreme weight over Scottish law and the Scottish Parliament.
    Surely if HMG does X across the UK and the Scottish courts find it is illegal under Scots law then something has to give. HMG can withdraw X, modify X, or of course appeal to UKSC.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543
    As a born and bred Englishman could I just say to our Scottish neighbours:

Please don't ever leave us - think of the mess we'd be in without you!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,146
    And this - https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1171720109842456577?s=19 - is why those documents which the government has to produce are now likely to matter very much indeed.
  • Options
    The significance of this has not sunk in yet. The SC can and possibly will rule that prorogation was lawful- but has the power to say in doing so that the monarch was misled as to reason. If so the PM has to resign- there can be no greater wrong under the constitution. Boris career could be over next week whatever the Brexit outcome.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The Conservatives have won the Manitoba election with a higher share of the vote than the polls were forecasting.

Over two-thirds of the seats on <50% of the vote. Shoddy democracy.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But it’s not illegal.

They’re wrong.
    Ah, that's alright then.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

JonathanD said:

If it now gets overturned in the UK Supreme Court that would be very good long term for Scottish independence.

Agreed. It is a very bad look having Scottish legal decisions overturned by a court in London given they are supposed to.be separate legal systems.
    It is fixed with them puting the Scottish system subject to the English Supreme Court because they did not like Scotland having any say.. It will not go down well if overturned and will be more nails in the coffin of the union
    It will be a legal decision based upon legal opinion, not politics. It is the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom, not England. Nationalists will try and frame it as you have no doubt, but it would be more nationalist BS, but sure, there are gullible people who will fall for that line.
    But the trouble with that and with the system as a whole is that the legal systems are different on each side of the border. It is conceivable that something that is rightly declared illegal under Scottish law could be legal under English law. If the Supreme Court then rules according to English law then justice has not been served in Scotland.
    It seems like a good principle that the government's actions should be lawful in all the UK's legal jurisdictions.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    Let's wait and see what the Supreme Court decides - there's a potential for a tremendous amount of egg on everyone's faces at this point.
  • Options
    theakes said:

Someone will end up in Prison, the only question is which Conservative that might be.

In the US they keep saying that about Trump.
  • Options
    Chris said:

The summary judgment says an order will be made declaring prorogation null and of no effect.

A video clip of the lead judge was played at 11am on BBC News said the court made no order today. I'm just going off that
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But it’s not illegal.

They’re wrong.
    :D
    Well, they are. How can they be right?

There’s very little legal or constitutional basis for their judgement that I can see.

Obviously you disagree because you like the decision but it’s a downright weird judgement.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Has Cummings wargamed this?

In all seriousness, probably. Judges are enemies of the people like parliament, give Boris a majority so he can get Brexit done.

I'm biased against it but I think the rank incompetence of the government and, if upheld, lack of care about the law, will cost the Tories a few points at least
    Ignorance of the law is not a good look for a government.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,146
    That is because Scots law is different to English law and takes a different approach to its interpretation of constitutional law.

Christ, why can't No 10 talk to its Attorney-General or Solicitor-General before coming out with rubbish like this.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Over two-thirds of the seats on <50% of the vote. Shoddy democracy.</p>
    FPTP.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

They seem to be basing the argument on “the central pillar of good governance principle enshrined in the constitution”.

That seems rather weak to me as a justiciable point: we don’t have a written constitution.

Hard to argue that a central principle enshrined in our constitution is bad governance though...

The PM can advise HMQ (he’s her minister) what he likes on this and shes obliged (constitutional monarch) to follow his advice.

Johnson has made a very bad decision for political reasons, poorly advised HMQ and abused the convention. It will likely result in more of our constitution being written down.

But it’s not illegal.
    I disagree with you on the merits of that political decision, but let's put that to one side.

The bad political decision that Johnson made was a different one. It was to allow the bill to prevent no deal to go forward to Royal Assent, rather than delaying for a few days in order to allow it to get Royal Assent by default only as an automatic result of prorogation (as all bills which have completed their parliamentary stages do). Were prorogation to be ruled illegal, it would follow that there would still have been no granting of Royal Assent for the bill, and Johnson would technically still be free of his obligations under it.
    Possibly, yes.
  • Options

148grss said:

Scott_P said:
    Yup

But not made any implementing order pending Suprene Court hearings
    The summary judgment doesn't say anything about that. That is other people's commentary.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

tlg86 said:

The Queens Speech would not be held until the planned date, unless the government asks the Queen to hold it on a different date. There is a reason why Johnson wanted the Queens Speech so late.
    I'm sure the Queen will be ever so accomodating to Boris at the moment..
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But it’s not illegal.

They’re wrong.

I think it’s both.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Scott_P said:

But it’s not illegal.

They’re wrong.

There’s very little legal or constitutional basis for their judgement that I can see.

Obviously you disagree because you like the decision but it’s a downright weird judgement.
    I don’t know enough about this to comment either way. The judges must know what they are doing though.
  • Options

As a born and bred Englishman could I just say to our Scottish neighbours:

Please don't ever leave us - think of the mess we'd be in without you!

I would concur with the thought, the Scots have been a great influence on our politics, but also if they do want to leave they should be able to. Reflections on how difficult Brexit is to actually deliver will hopefully make a difference.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    How astonishing that we can't say with any confidence, an hour after the judgment, whether or not Parliament is actually prorogued or not.

The Inner Court ought to have made the absence of an implementing order or interdict explicitly clear in its summary.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Cyclefree said:

And this - https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1171720109842456577?s=19 - is why those documents which the government has to produce are now likely to matter very much indeed.

Strange that Corbyn supporting Lewis Goodall doesn't support the government!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

theakes said:

In the US they keep saying that about Trump.
    Trump is exempt from court proceedings for the duration of his presidency.
  • Options
    Chris said:

malcolmg said:

JonathanD said:

It seems like a good principle that the government's actions should be lawful in all the UK's legal jurisdictions.
    And we have the NI case too as well.
  • Options
    More 'the situation has developed not necessarily to the Union's advantage' news.

'My Northern Ireland survey finds the Union on a knife-edge

Last month my polling in Scotland found a small lead for independence. My latest research, a survey in Northern Ireland, brings equally gloomy news for unionists: a slender lead for Irish unification in the event of a referendum on whether or not Northern Ireland should remain part of the United Kingdom.'

https://tinyurl.com/y68tuv7m
  • Options

malcolmg said:

JonathanD said:

It has as long as Scotland remains part of the United Kingdom. Them's the rules. Of course this will give a boost to Scottish independence and we will see how that plays out but in the interim the Supreme Court is, er, supreme.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But it’s not illegal.

They’re wrong.
    If the Scottish courts have indeed just made a ruling, the consequences of which are entirely unclear and result in lawyers arguing amongst themselves as to how it should be interpreted, can't we at least agree on one point from across the Brexit divide?

Careful: you’ll upset the nationalists.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,283
    A citizen's arrest - McCluskey has lost his marbles.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1171728144912519168
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

To be fair, that's probably spot on. Don't like the answer given by a judge? Find another one.
    But both were pursued in parallel; NI too. If Scotland was felt to be a softer touch why bother with E&W and NI?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,622
    edited September 2019

Scott_P said:

But it’s not illegal.

They’re wrong.

I think it’s both.
    So if the supreme court uphold the judgment then you would be content it is illegal - even if you think it shouldnt be?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Let's wait and see what the Supreme Court decides - there's a potential for a tremendous amount of egg on everyone's faces at this point.

Indeed.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,488
    Cyclefree said:

Apparently ordinary people are not interested...

While Prorogation does now seem more inconvenient for the Tories compared with the opposition, its repeal may not look good for the government. LD conference this week, but Lab and Con may bite the dust if a recall happens.

I suspect HM is a bit annoyed with BoZo and JRM for being dragged into this.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But it’s not illegal.
    Isnt that for the courts to decide?
    The Supreme Court, yes.

I don’t see how Scottish courts have jurisdiction over the Parliament of the whole UK. Only the Court of the whole UK does.

Similarly, I’d expect a Scottish court ruling to have supreme weight over Scottish law and the Scottish Parliament.
    The act of prorogation was an act which carried consequences for Scots law, the issue is justiciable in Scotland.

It is appealable in the usual way to the Supreme Court, but they will still be applying Scots law.

Any government act which is unlawful as a matter of Scots law cannot be allowed to proceed, as it infringes the Acts of Union.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

That is because Scots law is different to English law and takes a different approach to its interpretation of constitutional law.

Christ, why can't No 10 talk to its Attorney-General or Solicitor-General before coming out with rubbish like this.
    Scottish courts and judges should stick to their jurisdiction - Scotland.

Perhaps this Scottish Court has unintentionally (or, perhaps, intentionally) made Scottish independence inevitable.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,788
    Oh dear, oh dear. oh dear.

If the Supreme court rules HMQ was mislead I would think the entire government will resign on Tuesday and Boris will stand down as Con leader at the same time?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But it’s not illegal.

They’re wrong.

I think we all know who's upset.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Bercow basically saying 'it's the governments mess, the government sort it out'.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited September 2019
    "Boris Broke the Law. Again." is quite some campaign slogan
  • Options
    Drutt said:

How astonishing that we can't say with any confidence, an hour after the judgment, whether or not Parliament is actually prorogued or not.

The Inner Court ought to have made the absence of an implementing order or interdict explicitly clear in its summary.

I think they have! The judge certainly said so orally even if it is not in the written summary.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    dr_spyn said:

Especially as this was in a civil court not a criminal one
  • Options

The significance of this has not sunk in yet. The SC can and possibly will rule that prorogation was lawful- but has the power to say in doing so that the monarch was misled as to reason. If so the PM has to resign- there can be no greater wrong under the constitution. Boris career could be over next week whatever the Brexit outcome.

Yes that makes sense (IANAL obvs). Proroguing parliament is lawful. But the Queen was fooled/deceived into doing it.

Even if the SC overturns this, that is another stain that JRM in particular will have to bear.
  • Options

Chris said:

A video clip of the lead judge was played at 11am on BBC News said the court made no order today. I'm just going off that
    He says the court will make no ancillary orders.

But the summary judgment does say an order will be made declaring prorogation null and of no effect.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

If the Supreme court rules HMQ was mislead I would think the entire government will resign on Tuesday and Boris will stand down as Con leader at the same time?

And what a sad and ingnominious end to his career that would be! :lol:
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

When did he have any marbles?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But it’s not illegal.

They’re wrong.

There will be a legal principle that will have been applied, which will become apparent to whomever takes time to read the full judgement. I suspect it will be something similar to the Clean Hands Doctrine, suggesting that the government has prorogued for reasons that are disingenuous and therefore unethical, thereby inequitable to their opponents
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Why exactly is this so sensitive, please? Is it just lying in critical business? Or does the Royal bit add extra iniquity? (Would be interested to know why this is such a big thing, not being a royalist.)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,285
    Scott_P said:
    Another US parallel for our Britain Trump...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,283
    Scott_P said:

"Boris Broke the Law. Again." is quite some campaign slogan

'Whoops I did it again', is the campaign song.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    But if prorogation has been declared null and void by a court ...?
  • Options
    Chris said:

malcolmg said:

JonathanD said:

Indeed
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

Scottish courts and judges should stick to their jurisdiction - Scotland.

Perhaps this Scottish Court has unintentionally (or, perhaps, intentionally) made Scottish independence inevitable.
    By the same argument, Enbglish courts should stick to England and have nothing to do with pan-UK organizations such as the Westminster Parliament. (I do know Mr Johnson called it the English Parliament recently, but legallfy it hasn't regressed that far, EVEL notwithstanding). That would leave UKSC the only court dealing with Parliament, would it not?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    Scott_P said:
    And what will they do? Finally VONC BoJo?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,788
    Who would the PCP make leader in Opposition (I assume we'd be looking at a coronation and no membership ballot given the fact an election could be days away?)

Hunt?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    edited September 2019

Barnesian said:

Byronic said:

Hoo boy.

The Scottish Courts eh?

Does that mean we can get a GE after all! It could be good for dear leader Boris!
    Yes. The proroguation is near-irrelevant now. Canceling it might even help Boris.

Those LD numbers should TERRIFY Labour. Swinson is charming and plausible. Labour are about to adopt several insane commie policies. Labour’s position on Brexit is calamitously incoherent.

In a volatile election it’s easy to see the Libs charging through and beating Labour on votes, and maybe even MPs.
    LibDems face a dilemma.

Would they prefer 100 seats and a majority Tory government and leave the EU.
    or 30 seats and a minority Lab government and a chance to remain in the EU?

I definitely prefer the latter.
    Can you be sure that it isn't also possible for 100 Lib Dem seats and a minority Lab government and a greater chance to remain in the EU?
    It is possible but not if the Tories get 30%+ of the vote.

A) Con/Lab/LD of 35/15/30 gives 392/95/105
    B) Con/Lab/LD of 30/20/30 gives 293/160/133

(I know the caveats of using Baxter for these sort of shares but it illustrates the shape)

Basically the LibDems need to get the same or more than the Tory vote share (which seems very unlikely) in order to get 100+ seats PLUS a minority Labour government.

Scenario A) is not very likely but it is much more likely than scenario B).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    Interestingly, this is the first brexit issue to get brought up by multiple people in my office for a long time. Anecdotal of course, but here at least more cut through.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But it’s not illegal.

They’re wrong.

I think we all know who's upset.
    e.g.

https://twitter.com/RhodieOld/status/1171727881413824512?s=20
  • Options
    I note people saying Scottish court should only have jurisdiction over Scottish matters (eg representation of the Scottish electorate at Westminster). Hence I make the following modest proposal: Westminster should be reconvened for the next 5 weeks but only with Scottish MPs. I would expect they could get a lot of good stuff done during that period, including a VONC followed by an SNP government in London...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,285
    TOPPING said:

Yes that makes sense (IANAL obvs). Proroguing parliament is lawful. But the Queen was fooled/deceived into doing it.

Even if the SC overturns this, that is another stain that JRM in particular will have to bear.
    But particularly egregious to question the integrity of the Scottish judges.

All No.10 had to do was say 'we note the decision and await the judgment of the Supreme Court', or something along those lines.
    They just can't help themselves.
  • Options
    If a cabinet minister now resigns on the basis the monarch was misled.............
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Who would the PCP make leader in Opposition (I assume we'd be looking at a coronation and no membership ballot given the fact an election could be days away?)

Hunt?

Mark Francois.
  • Options
    There could be a political party formed which supports the rule of law, judges and convention. As it would seek to build steadily on the status quo, why not call it the conservative party?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    Scottish law is far less deferential to the Crown I note
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

But particularly egregious to question the integrity of the Scottish judges.

All No.10 had to do was say 'we note the decision and await the judgment of the Supreme Court', or something along those lines.
    They just can't help themselves.
    No 10's statement is an absolubte rocket booster for Scottish Independence. A further point - Electoral geography gets much much easier for the Tories without Scotland...
This discussion has been closed.