Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sporting Index open their general election seat markets

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

After reading the Yellowhammer assumptions No Deal is going to be so awesome we'll have rejoined the EU by 2021.

The situation will never arise, we're not going to be leaving at all.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    I've never forgiven Grieve for his ludicrous behaviour in trying to stop the Guardian from publishing Prince Charles' letters to ministers. He spent millions of our money in the courts because they were so sensitive it would threaten Charles' future as king. The letter were published and can anyone remember anything that was in them.

Something about helping farmers?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    edited September 2019
    Doubt @GeoffM cares lol
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

"The agri-food sector [in Ireland] will be hardest hit... disruption to key sectors and job losses are likely to result in protests and direct action with road blockages."

Sounds like Ireland needs a deal
    They are prepared to risk it.
    Plenty of leavers and Tories are prepared too. Boris Johnson I don't think is amongst that number.
  • Options

No sunlit uplands in Gibraltar.

I'm assuming para 15 relates to NI, and has been redacted on security grounds.

Gove's letter to Benn says it has been redacted on grounds of 'commercial sensitivity'.
    What commercial sensitivity?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

Many people are saying Kwasi Kwarteng is as dumb as a box of rocks.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1171850211590901760

What a twat
    Thing is he's been one of the very few ministers who's been prepared to face the media over the last week. Obviously this evening has been something of a car crash, but up until now I'd felt he'd been doing a relatively good job of defending the indefensible.

Had been miles better than Nigel Evans, whose the other one who's been sent out to bat on this seam-friendly wicket.
    That OE insouciance.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119

Quick conclusions after a first skim through:

1. No single smoking gun here but a lot of smouldering ones.
    2. If we do end up with No Deal, it's going to be very hard now for the Government to plead innocence.
    3. The disruption/civil unrest stuff is worrying. If you were the Real IRA or the Revolutionary Trots of Sydenham or whoever, I imagine it must be quite useful to have the Government enumerate its vulnerabilities like this.
    4. There's a lot of "life will get a bit worse" in here. It only takes one of those to flare up. Britain collectively lost its shit a few years ago when petrol prices went up a bit... this envisages situations worse than that.

I think it's a lot worse than that.

Just to pick a couple of examples, look at the parts about medicines for veterinary use, and about adult social care.

Both of those imply there could be major problems, and don't appear to suggest any kind of strategy for dealing with them.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited September 2019
    nichomar said:

Chris said:

nichomar said:

Name me one party leader in the last thirty years who has done anything with their life outside of politics that was any use to anyone but themselves?

Sir Nick Clegg is of use to Facebook.
    Thatcher was a scientist (and just meets the 30 year cutoff)
    Her degree was but I don’t think she used it before doing a law degree
    She was an industrial chemist
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Doubt @GeoffM cares lol
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

"The agri-food sector [in Ireland] will be hardest hit... disruption to key sectors and job losses are likely to result in protests and direct action with road blockages."

Sounds like Ireland needs a deal
    They are prepared to risk it.
    Plenty of leavers and Tories are prepared too. Boris Johnson I don't think is amongst that number.
    That's where we disagree - I don't think he wants it, but I think he has gone too far down that route to pull back, and is too cowardly to do so in the face of BXP and ERG fury.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,199
    So reduced choice of food and prices up, increased petrol and electricity prices.

Vulnerable groups ie the poor hit hardest

Marvellous.

Meanwhile Boris’s mates who have shorted the pound will make a killing.

What was that about Brexit being revenge against the elite?

Document does not seem to mention agriculture, unless I’ve missed it.
  • Options
    So the government has a policy whereby it must publish a document which explains the "worst case" outcomes.

If only Jezza would do that for some of his policies.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658

Gove's letter to Benn says it has been redacted on grounds of 'commercial sensitivity'.
    I don't know... it's been redacted!
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    I think its nailed on some sort of WA will be presented after the QS and the PD will be removed and left to the next government to sort. The WA will pass imo.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Britain collectively lost its shit a few years ago when petrol prices went up a bit... this envisages situations worse than that.

Far more serious than anything NI related that one. Opinion will turn very very quickly against Brexit if fuel shoots up to £1.50 a litre or more.
    "... there will likely be significant electricity price increases for consumers (business and domestic), with associated wider economic and political impacts."
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

Quick conclusions after a first skim through:

1. No single smoking gun here but a lot of smouldering ones.
    2. If we do end up with No Deal, it's going to be very hard now for the Government to plead innocence.
    3. The disruption/civil unrest stuff is worrying. If you were the Real IRA or the Revolutionary Trots of Sydenham or whoever, I imagine it must be quite useful to have the Government enumerate its vulnerabilities like this.
    4. There's a lot of "life will get a bit worse" in here. It only takes one of those to flare up. Britain collectively lost its shit a few years ago when petrol prices went up a bit... this envisages situations worse than that.

The right-wing, Leaver, Press will assert, LOUDLY, that it’s all the fault of the EU.
  • Options
    Was the government also required to provide the legal advice they received on prorogation?
  • Options

She’s a citizen of a democracy that supposedly operates under the rule of law.
    and in this instance that law is only accessible from the size of her bank balance.
    I thought Tories admired people who work hard and accrue wealth?
  • Options

nichomar said:

Chris said:

nichomar said:

Name me one party leader in the last thirty years who has done anything with their life outside of politics that was any use to anyone but themselves?

Yes, she worked as research chemist for a few years, famously got knocked back for a post at ICI for being too opinionated.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Many people are saying Kwasi Kwarteng is as dumb as a box of rocks.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1171850211590901760

What a twat
    Thing is he's been one of the very few ministers who's been prepared to face the media over the last week. Obviously this evening has been something of a car crash, but up until now I'd felt he'd been doing a relatively good job of defending the indefensible.

Had been miles better than Nigel Evans, whose the other one who's been sent out to bat on this seam-friendly wicket.
    That OE insouciance.
    Worth every penny:

https://www.etoncollege.com/currentfees.aspx
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

So reduced choice of food and prices up, increased petrol and electricity prices.

Marvellous.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

There's a bit on what it calls the agri-food industry: paras 7i and 18 (in NI).
  • Options

Best prices - Outcome next UK GE

NOM 5/7
    Con Maj 2/1
    Lab Maj 10/1

It would need a lot of tactical voting on the remain side and totally clueless voting on the Brexit side, but I think 10 to 1 on Labour is getting close to good value.
    I concur.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Was the government also required to provide the legal advice they received on prorogation?

They wont have received any legal advice, it's a standard procedure. The question is whether they fibbed about the reasons
    Ergo any legal advice would be about 'lying to hmq' - you dont take that sort of legal advice
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

The real stupidity about all this is the EU has constantly asked us to come up with solutions to the problems our decision to leave would cause. We have clearly identified the problems but seem devoid of any meaningful solutions after two and a half years.

What have we been doing? Spending all the time shouting from the rooftops that the result "must be respected" but doing nothing to mitigate the consequences of our own actions.
  • Options
    Boris is a liar and owes Phil Hammond an apology

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1171864936567463937
  • Options

I think its nailed on some sort of WA will be presented after the QS and the PD will be removed and left to the next government to sort. The WA will pass imo.

With the backstop still in the WA? No chance. And no chance the EU will agree to remove it. Still stalemate.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Chris said:

nichomar said:

Yes, she worked as research chemist for a few years, famously got knocked back for a post at ICI for being too opinionated.
    Aye. Opinionated. That was Maggie right enough.
  • Options

Sshhh .. we can't tell you, it's sensitive ...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,327

Water vapour detected in the atmosphere of a 'super earth' 110 light years away that is in the habitable zone.
    Let's all emigrate!

What is their Brexit policy?
  • Options
    This is great, this is when both my PB job and my paid employment sees me covering the same topic.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

Is that it? All the 'sensible' people have been telling us it's going to be a disaster, a calamity that cannot be countenanced.

I often chat politics with a civil servant friend. He's a brexiteer (so make of that what you want) but he's fairly relaxed about it all, isn't too alarmed by no deal. He works with people who've worked for 30-40 years and their attitude is we've seen it all before.

I am a little nervous and it should be remembered that a single match can cause a house fire. But I'm more inclined to see no deal as a potentially long term chronic condition than a cardiac arrest.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Out of interest why do you think that? It needs enough Labour MPs to counter the ERG spartans and the Griever gang, possibly the DUP, and adding up all the other opposition MPs bar a few handful of independents. Even with the PD removed and left to the next government, whoever that is, so enough Labour MPs really want to see Brexit done? Under Boris? Especially as Labour policy is deliberately designed to keep Labour leavers onside by promising them that a better deal than May or Boris will come and be able to be voted on in a referendum, meaning only anti-referendum MPs can be tempted.

I'm curious at such continued optimism over a WA. The number of Tories opposed seems to go up the more the EU say they thing it is ok, and the more Labour MPs who say they might consider it - because that means it must be terrible.
  • Options

Water vapour detected in the atmosphere of a 'super earth' 110 light years away that is in the habitable zone.
    Let's all emigrate!

What is their Brexit policy?
    They believe firmly in the heptarchy
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Doubt it. There might be a few more Labour votes, but even fewer Tories.
  • Options

This is great, this is when both my PB job and my paid employment sees me covering the same topic.

I was about to say that means no one at work yells at you for logging onto PB too much, but I presume you are too important to be yelled at anyway.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

nichomar said:

Chris said:

nichomar said:

Wasn’t she responsible for the consistency, and hence the saleability, of Mr Whippy Ice cream?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Out of interest why do you think that? It needs enough Labour MPs to counter the ERG spartans and the Griever gang, possibly the DUP, and adding up all the other opposition MPs bar a few handful of independents. Even with the PD removed and left to the next government, whoever that is, so enough Labour MPs really want to see Brexit done? Under Boris? Especially as Labour policy is deliberately designed to keep Labour leavers onside by promising them that a better deal than May or Boris will come and be able to be voted on in a referendum, meaning only anti-referendum MPs can be tempted.

I'm curious at such continued optimism over a WA.
    Needs maybe 30 labour. He'd get them. Secure Brexit avoid no deal cliff edge.
    Itll be a WA with 'something' to sticking plaster NI
  • Options
    Five sides of A4 ?!

No one's going to convince me that there aren't filing cabinets worth of detail behind this that has not been shared.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

It's official - no Good Brie!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I was about to say that means no one at work yells at you for logging onto PB too much, but I presume you are too important to be yelled at anyway.
    I did get yelled at yesterday morning by my staff.

I said an external supplier was a 'cock juggling thunder c***' which apparently just sounds so wrong when I say it.
  • Options
    "He was deceived by a lie! We all were!"
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

oh no how we survive!!!

I do note that the water scare has now been debunked.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

kle4 said:

I'm curious at such continued optimism over a WA.
    Needs maybe 30 labour. He'd get them. Secure Brexit avoid no deal cliff edge.
    Itll be a WA with 'something' to sticking plaster NI
    30 would not be enough (as 5 voted with it before), it would still need maybe another 10, and that assuming no more Tories vote against, which is improbable especially the ones who have subcontracted their vote to the DUP.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

Is that it? All the 'sensible' people have been telling us it's going to be a disaster, a calamity that cannot be countenanced.

I often chat politics with a civil servant friend. He's a brexiteer (so make of that what you want) but he's fairly relaxed about it all, isn't too alarmed by no deal. He works with people who've worked for 30-40 years and their attitude is we've seen it all before.

I am a little nervous and it should be remembered that a single match can cause a house fire. But I'm more inclined to see no deal as a potentially long term chronic condition than a cardiac arrest.
    Have you actually read paragraph 6 on medical supplies? Don't you think it's a cause for concern? (That is a problem that will start on Day 1, and continue for at least 3 months, according to the document.)
  • Options

nichomar said:

Chris said:

nichomar said:

Wasn’t she responsible for the consistency, and hence the saleability, of Mr Whippy Ice cream?
    She worked for Lyons at one point, I am unclear as to her role in the development of Mr. Whippy.

She'd probably have taken the Flake out of a 99, to reduce overheads, if she could.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Is the redacted bit about refineries? Gilts? Forex?
  • Options

They wont have received any legal advice, it's a standard procedure. The question is whether they fibbed about the reasons
    Ergo any legal advice would be about 'lying to hmq' - you dont take that sort of legal advice
    ok thanks
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

The Dover bloke said there will be good brie here but no English cheeses on the continent.

1-0 to EU farmers.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Drutt said:

Agriculture?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,183
    Chris said:

Does anyone remember an interview in which Boris Johnson said he could guarantee that supplies of medicines would not be disrupted?

I don't. But I do recall Michael Gove on Marr the other day saying that everyone would get "the food that they need".

That was a game-changer for me. Because he is very able and I believed him. And if we can eat we can survive and prosper.

Gove. Head of No Deal Planning. He has our backs.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

So the government has a policy whereby it must publish a document which explains the "worst case" outcomes.

If only Jezza would do that for some of his policies.

Amusingly - the effect of some of his plans would be far, far worse than Brexit - but hey Corbyn is the absolute boy.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

Not a problem; Somerset Brie is a more than adequate substitute.
  • Options
    The fact you continually moan about Brexit and cite the damage to vulnerable people whilst spending six years slavishly supporting Cameron and Osborne - now even calling leave voters suckers - you're beyond parody my friend.
  • Options

Five sides of A4 ?!

No one's going to convince me that there aren't filing cabinets worth of detail behind this that has not been shared.

It is surprising that a room full of people had to be working so hard to produce a six-page document with one paragrph redacted.
  • Options

They might have seen it all before, but not all at the same time.
  • Options

The fact you continually moan about Brexit and cite the damage to vulnerable people whilst spending six years slavishly supporting Cameron and Osborne - now even calling leave voters suckers - you're beyond parody my friend.
    Oh behave.
  • Options
    As someone who has drafted many documents, albeit not so important, that rings very true as the one request that someone in authority will have made.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Boris is a liar and owes Phil Hammond an apology

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1171864936567463937

Seeing as this is confirmed will we get to see the Operation Black Swan document as well?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

Have you actually read paragraph 6 on medical supplies? Don't you think it's a cause for concern? (That is a problem that will start on Day 1, and continue for at least 3 months, according to the document.)
    My son couldn't get his meds today and my wife had to wait days last month for her meds - despite me ringing half the pharmacists in North Essex.

Fecking Brexit eh?

oh wait - only a problem if Brexit can be blamed.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Chris said:

nichomar said:

She worked for Lyons at one point, I am unclear as to her role in the development of Mr. Whippy.

She'd probably have taken the Flake out of a 99, to reduce overheads, if she could.
    Her finest achievement.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

Somerset Brie is very good tbf. But there's no Somerset Gorgonzola, which could be a disaster.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    After Yellowhammer:
    What are the odds that the UK WILL NOT leave the EU at all ?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

nichomar said:

Chris said:

nichomar said:

I once did a 48 sheet poster for ICI. A simple concept. A can of tartan paint with the headline "When It Happens We'll Be There First'. The management decided this was too risky for a company like ICI because they might not be so after much soul searching it became " If it happens we'll be there". The exasperated agency tried to explain that such a change lost the point of the ad and lost the account shortly after.

ICI chemicals division is not a good idea for those with an opinion!
  • Options

Drutt said:

Agriculture?
    Agri is in para 7
  • Options
    kle4 said:

As someone who has drafted many documents, albeit not so important, that rings very true as the one request that someone in authority will have made.
    My reports are named in escalating scale

1) Draft

2) Provisional

3) Please check for typos

4) Pending review
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

I discovered Scottish Brie last week. However that will soon be subject to import restrictions in England too.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Floater said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

My son couldn't get his meds today and my wife had to wait days last month for her meds - despite me ringing half the pharmacists in North Essex.

Fecking Brexit eh?

I had to go twice to get my monthly repeat prescription medicine. No convincing reason was given. Is shortage already developing ?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

I discovered Scottish Brie last week. However that will soon be subject to import restrictions in England too.
    Was it deepfried?

#LazyStereotyping
  • Options

After Yellowhammer:
    What are the odds that the UK WILL NOT leave the EU at all ?

75:25. It's under assault from so many fronts, and its best chance now is either a clever remain plan backfires, or the Tories win a comfortable majority in an election. But the remainer plans have worked reasonably well so far, and the Tories and BXP could easily cock things up even if percentage wise they should succeed.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Drutt said:

Drutt said:

Agriculture?
    Agri is in para 7
    No, that's food supply.

Where's the impact on UK farming and fishing industries?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    Availability of petrol and diesel is something to which Governments are hypersensitive since the events of 2000 illustrated how quickly disruption in supply can cause huge problems.

I suspect we will see huge efforts by the Government to keep petrol and diesel supplies moving but the slightest hint of problems will cause panic buying which in turn will lead to shortages.

I well remember after 2000 people get their fuel tanks full for months after the protests ended fearing more disruption.
  • Options
    Just remember how bad Brexit would be if we didn't hold all the cards?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

Cenarth Brie is better. https://www.cawscenarth.co.uk/product-page/cenarth-brie
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,183
    edited September 2019

And if this was the plan - gosh that 'Dom and BoJo' combo!

Is there even a word for guys like that?
  • Options
    Roger said:

nichomar said:

Chris said:

nichomar said:

I once did a 48 sheet poster for ICI. A simple concept. A can of tartan paint with the headline "When It Happens We'll Be There First'. The management decided this was too risky for a company like ICI because they might not be so after much soul searching it became " If it happens we'll be there". The exasperated agency tried to explain that such a change lost the point of the ad and lost the account shortly after.

ICI chemicals division is not a good idea for those with an opinion!
    Roger and Maggie: both too good for state-owned conglomerate.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Is that it? 5 sides of A4? My son's school report is longer.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Chris said:

Five sides of A4 ?!

It is surprising that a room full of people had to be working so hard to produce a six-page document with one paragrph redacted.
    Well yes if that is the extent of our no deal planning then five pages is pretty damning. But it really doesn’t matter because no deal will bring the Eu into line because it’s so terrible but will cause us only bumps in the road. Wake up Britain you’re led by a lying bastard who hasn’t got a clue what he is doing.
  • Options

Drutt said:

Drutt said:

Agriculture?
    Agri is in para 7
    No, that's food supply.

Not a civil contingency matter, surely?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

Suspect it's not stocked by Tesco though ...
  • Options
    I've unleashed a monster. And I don't eat bloody Brie!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Floater said:
    What's your username on Guido? Do you leave your brain at the door?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Remember the sectoral impact reports?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

Suspect it's not stocked by Tesco though ...
    Probably not! But they do a similar cheese (Perl Wen) which has fairly widespread distribution... certainly Waitrose, I think I've seen it in regional Co-ops too.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

It was probably a lot of work to boil it down so broadly to fit that length.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Floater said:
    What's your username on Guido? Do you leave your brain at the door?
    His username there is

'IHateAntiSemitesButIWillVoteForABrexiteerWhoRepeatedAWellKnownAntiSemiticTrope'
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Be fair, they've only been working on it for a year.
  • Options

Drutt said:

Drutt said:

Agriculture?
    Agri is in para 7
    No, that's food supply.

You're right. Perhaps the redacted part is a projection for bulk foodstuff prices, which is redacted because of its impact on the futures market for those commodities.
  • Options
    Call me old-fashioned, but I think that brie should come from France, whisky should come from Scotland and London gin should come from London.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I thought the Brexit vote split 50/50 amongst the low income. It was the old who voted for Brexit in numbers.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited September 2019
    Speculation on Twitter is that the redacted para 15 is the Times story about two oil refineries going bust.

https://twitter.com/_Andalucia_/status/1171870851026882561
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Which is bloody daft. One side A4 is more than enough for a school report.
  • Options

Call me old-fashioned, but I think that brie should come from France, whisky should come from Scotland and London gin should come from London.

All whisky comes from the good place surely? If it's not Scots its whiskey
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I thought the Brexit vote split 50/50 amongst the low income. It was the old who voted for Brexit in numbers.
    The poorest households, with incomes of less than £20,000 per year, were much more likely to support leaving the EU than the wealthiest households, as were the unemployed, people in low-skilled and manual occupations, people who feel that their financial situation has worsened, and those with no qualifications.

https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/brexit-vote-explained-poverty-low-skills-and-lack-opportunities
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Agreed.

On the plus side, the delays at coastal ports should mean proper Brie is already nice and ripe by the time it gets to the supermarkets. :smile:
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Floater said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Marvellous.

Fecking Brexit eh?

It will be. Everything from a bad olympics, floods, listeria outbreak, hysteria outbreaks, power cuts, libor rate misspelling, earthquakes, meteorites, stalactites and stalagmites* And you know, when they bring the tea in on a tray, knock a door and drop it, brexit will be blamed.

And quite rightly too. No problem with any of that.

*yes has been going on that long.
This discussion has been closed.