Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Boris Johnson hopes to win Labour seats at the general elec

Comments

• Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Deal to build frigates lifeline for british dockyards.

Someone’s keen on an election. 😄
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Meanwhile the country, including many who voted remain, looks on aghast and with increasing anger at the antics in Parliament and in the courts.

Do none of you, blathering on about "coups" and proragations and the minutiae of parliamentry convention, understand quite how badly this is playing...? Clearly not.

Come voting day many of you are in for a rude surprise....

Some support for this from the callers to LBC who seemed to want the judges strung up.
    Certainly I think many have made their minds up (on either side) and now everything feeds their fears/Hope's etc
    People are absolutely fed to the back teeth with all this. My experience (which i accept is anecdotal, partial and imperfect but which i am pretty convinced is correct) is that this is playing against 'remain'.
    The polling would disagree.
  • Options
    Interesting result in the Inner House appeal today on prorogation. We have three distinct but heavily overlapping things going on here and the Supreme Court hearing and judgement on the composited appeals is going to be a humdinger and will shape the inevitable statute the next non Tory government passes to take prorogation out of prerogative.

1. All three legal cases were brought against the hypothetical concept of proroging past no deal exit day. 2. They are being judged against the reality that Boris hasn't done that but rather stretched the prerogative. 3. That there is clearly a huge paper trail admitting it was an executive fiat to avoid legislative scrutiny.

As a non lawyer my guess is the Supreme Court ruling with explore the tension between 2. being entirely legitimate and 3. being grossly inappropriate.

In short what does judical oversight do about a generally proper executive action undertaken for well documented improper reasons.

I've faith the Supreme Court will square that circle fairly and we'll have a decent rulling that will then inform parliament on what if anything it needs to legislate on. My donation to the crowdfunder for the Scottish case was motivated by what post Corbyn Labour could do with Boris' precedent. Having read the brief court summary today it seems money well spent.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2019
    Apparently what is judged to be illegal in Scotland could be judged to be unconstitutional but legal in England. Interesting distinction based on a difference between English and Scottish law.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Traditional Labour voters are not going to back the Tories in safe seats in great enough numbers for it to work. Why would a poorer than average person back a political party led by people of privileged background who think tax cuts for the rich at the expense of the poor are a priority.

Boris Johnson campaigned in his leadership election about cutting taxes for the rich, where does Johnson think the money will come from to pay for this? The poor have the most densely concentrated numbers in safe Labour seats. Tories think the rich do not have enough money and the poor should pay for tax cuts is not a strategy to win the votes of the most disadvantaged in society. Corbyn and the Labour party will run a campaign that motivates Labour voters in safe Labour seats to vote Labour.

The Tory strategy is mad as it means sacrificing circa 35 seats to LD & SNP. If the Tories do nothing in those write-offs theoretically the Tories could target 70 Labour seats but targeting a seat does not necessarily mean you are in with a chance of winning it. Sometimes increased activity by a hated political party can be counter productive to their chances. Tory targeting will also be curtailed by their diminishing membership whilst Labour , LD and SNP will have a motivated group of canvasses and leaflet delivery operatives.

Most of the top 50 Tory target seats held by Labour were won by Thatcher, Major or Cameron they are not safe Labour seats but marginals like Lincoln, Vale of Clwyd, High Peak and Keighley and Canterbury.

Cummings policy of tax cuts for all and more money for the NHS etc as well as delivering Brexit is the only way the Tories will win a majority, they are going to lose seats to the LDs and SNP regardless, as will Corbyn Labour.

No such thing as tax cuts for all plus more money for the NHS. The money has to come from somewhere. I thought a Conservative would understand that.
    Never heard of the Laffer curve?

Boris is a Berlusconi style populist, tax cuts and more spending cake for all.

He will run a campaign precisely the opposite of May's dour tax rises and spending cuts for all campaign in 2017
    Having heard of the Laffer Curve isn’t quite the same as having any idea where on the curve we might be located. Surely you should know that?
    Laffer would say that marginal rates of tax in the UK are close to the level where they are inefficient and tax takes will start to (or already have) declined.

Stamp duty is a case in point.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Roger said:

Meanwhile the country, including many who voted remain, looks on aghast and with increasing anger at the antics in Parliament and in the courts.

Do none of you, blathering on about "coups" and proragations and the minutiae of parliamentry convention, understand quite how badly this is playing...? Clearly not.

Bullshit! That's not what most people seem to be finding. Remain parties are in the lead now everywhere and increasing. If you live in Hartlepool apologies.
    Twit. Look at the polls. Tories are ten points ahead. Boris is way more popular than Corbz. Your narrative is bogus.
    Doesn’t it feel to you though that those poll leads are about to go pop?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,621

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Oxford ranked the best university in the world, ahead of the California Institute of Technology.

Cambridge and Imperial College London the only other UK universities in the top 10, the other places all taken by US colleges like Harvard and Yale and Stanford.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49666979

Our Lord Blackadder told us that Oxford was a dump, and yet Hull a jewel. Unless you want to be hung by the Baldricks I suggest you amend your ideas!
    No it was Lord Melchett.
    No, it was General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmany Melchett. No Lord, IIRC.
    Lord Melchett was in Blackadder II.
    I am well aware. But the source of the quote was Blackadder Goes Forth.
    I am well aware, but you stuck in an "IIRC".
    Yes, because I was covering myself in case General Melchett was also a Lord somehow.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Some support for this from the callers to LBC who seemed to want the judges strung up.
    Certainly I think many have made their minds up (on either side) and now everything feeds their fears/Hope's etc
    I don't want to get too Rogerdamus-meets-his-limodriver, but I had my builder fixing stuff today. He's Lancashire northern, lives in London, smart, badly educated, doing well for himself (and an excellent builder)

We got talking politics as one of his Romanian guys did my bathroom. He said, of No Deal, "ah, we'll be OK, we've been through worse. We're gritty. We'll survive. Just do it."

I was about to remonstrate with him, and give him all the gory possibilities, and the horrible scenarios, but then I thought: what the F do I know? He employs people, day in day out. I don't. He is in a business that is very sensitive to economic trends, I am not (male modelling is timeless, to be honest). So I stayed shtoom.

Moreover, I wonder if his attitude is widespread. No Deal, Big Deal. If so, Boris has probably chosen the right course.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,557
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Traditional Labour voters are not going to back the Tories in safe seats in great enough numbers for it to work. Why would a poorer than average person back a political party led by people of privileged background who think tax cuts for the rich at the expense of the poor are a priority.

Boris Johnson campaigned in his leadership election about cutting taxes for the rich, where does Johnson think the money will come from to pay for this? The poor have the most densely concentrated numbers in safe Labour seats. Tories think the rich do not have enough money and the poor should pay for tax cuts is not a strategy to win the votes of the most disadvantaged in society. Corbyn and the Labour party will run a campaign that motivates Labour voters in safe Labour seats to vote Labour.

The Tory strategy is mad as it means sacrificing circa 35 seats to LD & SNP. If the Tories do nothing in those write-offs theoretically the Tories could target 70 Labour seats but targeting a seat does not necessarily mean you are in with a chance of winning it. Sometimes increased activity by a hated political party can be counter productive to their chances. Tory targeting will also be curtailed by their diminishing membership whilst Labour , LD and SNP will have a motivated group of canvasses and leaflet delivery operatives.

Most of the top 50 Tory target seats held by Labour were won by Thatcher, Major or Cameron they are not safe Labour seats but marginals like Lincoln, Vale of Clwyd, High Peak and Keighley and Canterbury.

Cummings policy of tax cuts for all and more money for the NHS etc as well as delivering Brexit is the only way the Tories will win a majority, they are going to lose seats to the LDs and SNP regardless, as will Corbyn Labour.

No such thing as tax cuts for all plus more money for the NHS. The money has to come from somewhere. I thought a Conservative would understand that.

He will run a campaign precisely the opposite of May's dour tax rises and spending cuts for all campaign in 2017
    Having heard of the Laffer Curve isn’t quite the same as having any idea where on the curve we might be located. Surely you should know that?
    I'll pay attention to the Laffer curve when someone comes up with either a proof it exists in the real world or a formula to calculate it.

Until then we can safely file it under "Neoliberal mumbo-jumbo".
  • Options
    egg said:

Byronic said:

Roger said:

Bullshit! That's not what most people seem to be finding. Remain parties are in the lead now everywhere and increasing. If you live in Hartlepool apologies.
    Twit. Look at the polls. Tories are ten points ahead. Boris is way more popular than Corbz. Your narrative is bogus.
    No, it doesnt.
  • Options
    egg said:

Byronic said:

Roger said:

Nope.
  • Options

People are absolutely fed to the back teeth with all this. My experience (which i accept is anecdotal, partial and imperfect but which i am pretty convinced is correct) is that this is playing against 'remain'.
    Not sure it would actually.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Laffer would say that marginal rates of tax in the UK are close to the level where they are inefficient and tax takes will start to (or already have) declined.

And your evidence for that assertion is... ?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    edited September 2019

Are all those 'many SNPers' in favour of leave that you know having their back teeth troubled?
  • Options

Not sure it would actually.
    Boris trending downwards in the last week.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

I think anyone with a manifesto committment to extending this nonsense is going to struggle
  • Options
    Byronic said:

I don't want to get too Rogerdamus-meets-his-limodriver, but I had my builder fixing stuff today. He's Lancashire northern, lives in London, smart, badly educated, doing well for himself (and an excellent builder)

We got talking politics as one of his Romanian guys did my bathroom. He said, of No Deal, "ah, we'll be OK, we've been through worse. We're gritty. We'll survive. Just do it."

I was about to remonstrate with him, and give him all the gory possibilities, and the horrible scenarios, but then I thought: what the F do I know? He employs people, day in day out. I don't. He is in a business that is very sensitive to economic trends, I am not (male modelling is timeless, to be honest). So I stayed shtoom.

Moreover, I wonder if his attitude is widespread. No Deal, Big Deal. If so, Boris has probably chosen the right course.
    "I was about to remonstrate with him..." but then I realised he fitted my pre-conceptions perfectly so I would post it on PB as firm evidence that the will of the people wants No Deal now!
  • Options
    Those on here expecting a Damascene conversion by the British public on the merits (or otherwise) of Jeremy Corbyn are also in for a rude shock.

The British public have made up their collective mind on him. and as Smithson has said on here many time, this is pretty consistent indicator of election outcomes.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Oxford ranked the best university in the world, ahead of the California Institute of Technology.

Cambridge and Imperial College London the only other UK universities in the top 10, the other places all taken by US colleges like Harvard and Yale and Stanford.

Our Lord Blackadder told us that Oxford was a dump, and yet Hull a jewel. Unless you want to be hung by the Baldricks I suggest you amend your ideas!
    No it was Lord Melchett.
    No, it was General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmany Melchett. No Lord, IIRC.
    Lord Melchett was in Blackadder II.
    I am well aware. But the source of the quote was Blackadder Goes Forth.
    I am well aware, but you stuck in an "IIRC".
    Yes, because I was covering myself in case General Melchett was also a Lord somehow.
    Nah, just a General!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,214

I think anyone with a manifesto committment to extending this nonsense is going to struggle
    The irony, of course, being that any path to remain, even via a referendum, ends “this nonsense” a whole lot quicker than any path to leave.
  • Options

No deal is the biggest extension of the crisis.

No deal is certainly not the end of it. It is not closure and move on. No deal is not actually an answer to anything, it’s a billboard to the world of our failure to achieve the answer. A symbol of failure etched forever into British history. Because ultimately what hurts UK from No Deal is not just the indelible impact on our farming and other industry and business in the painful fast forward to global Britain, but the political crisis in Britain extending into the longer term, because we wouldn’t be able to get EU to table and compromise without ourselves climbing down and sucking down exactly what they are currently asking from us. In other words, just as May and the Conservative moderates explained, we can only achieve leave deal with EU by making a compromise, by facing up to compromise, and its damn harder for us to make that compromise after a no deal Brexit. We will become even more firmly stuck in a political crisis that impacts EU to far lesser degree.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Byronic said:

You've clearly missed the Labour conference pledges in store for us. Abolish all private schools, hike all taxes, destroy the City, expropriate shares, seize white farms, nationalise pillows, make us all cross dress on Thursdays out of solidarity with bi-curious poets.

It will not be popular in Surrey. I can see lots of Remainers, intending to vote Labour or Lib Dem, looking at that list, and thinking.... ok, that's worse than No Deal.

This reads oddly.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

The worried dinner party set arent going to be the deciders on this one
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You mean Arthur Laffer? Last seen wrecking the finances of Kansas?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_experiment
    That guy?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

I have a side bet* with a pollster that if we do go for a No Deal Brexit that it will be like support for the Iraq war polling within two years.

Back in 2003 I think 65% supported the war, by 2006 65% remembered opposing the war.

*Dinner in some decent London restaurant.
  • Options

Are all those 'many SNPers' in favour of leave that you know having their back teeth troubled?
    No. The nature of scottish nationalism is that it doesnt change its mind.

But overall, anecdotal evidence is that the Nats will do less well in Scotland than their optimists predict. I am a scot by the way.,..
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

Remain parties are in the lead now everywhere and increasing.
    Eh? The Tories lead most polls. Personally I don't think they will retain it, at least not sufficiently, in an election post extension and with BXP being self defeating, but while remain has for some time had a lead over leave, in party terms the Tories are doing alright in most of them.
    I'm adding all Remain parties together. Lib Lab Green SNP assorted others. The Tories have little chance of winning with Johnson though they look like being the largest party. Unlike Cameron no centre party will support him.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Byronic said:

You've clearly missed the Labour conference pledges in store for us. Abolish all private schools, hike all taxes, destroy the City, expropriate shares, seize white farms, nationalise pillows, make us all cross dress on Thursdays out of solidarity with bi-curious poets.

It will not be popular in Surrey. I can see lots of Remainers, intending to vote Labour or Lib Dem, looking at that list, and thinking.... ok, that's worse than No Deal.

This reads oddly.
    Sorry comrade, the script needs updating :wink:
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Byronic said:

This reads oddly.
    Its called irony
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,936
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

That’s just a transparent effort to troll TSE. :smile:
    Maybe, plus my current partner has an Oxford degree
    Is he or she a Diehard Remainer?
    She is a LD but not a diehard Remainer (though she wants Brexit with a Deal)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,333
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Laffer is most often used as a totem for those on the right who don’t have much of a clue about economics.
    The infamous curve was, literally, drawn up on a napkin.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Drutt said:

TSE, I've looked at the Opinium tables (v006 and v006(2)) and they say Boris is +36/-41 for net -5, and Corbyn is +19/-58 for net -39.

Your bars are the wrong way round.

Nope, you're looking at current Labour voters, I'm looking at people who voted Labour in 2017
    Well then that's ludicrous, as Labour's vote in 2017 was stuffed with angry passionate Remainers who will now decamp to Swinson. So your header is idiotic. Boris is not targeting the williamglenns of this world
    I've made it very clear he's targeting Labour Leave voters.
    Yes, but your silly bar chart says All Labour voters from 2017. Which means it is INFESTED with mad Remainers who switched to Jezbollah in desperation in that election.

Remainers won't make that mistake again, hence Labour's terrible polling, almost overtaken by Swinson.

I do wonder if the next election will see the Libs overtake Labour. In the next GE Labour will have a virtually communist manifesto, and if Swinson gets a sense of momentum I can see millions of voters thinking Why not, give them a chance, I don't like Boris and I'm not a communist.

Hmm.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "A cabinet minister has raised accusations of "bias" against the judiciary after a Scottish court ruled Boris Johnson had misled the Queen when he “unlawfully” prorogued Parliament.

Three judges accused the Prime Minister of suspending the Commons for the “improper purpose of stymying Parliament” over his Brexit plans and said last Monday’s prorogation was “null and of no effect”.

But Kwasi Kwarteng, the business minister, said that voters were "beginning to question the partiality of the judges" and accusing them of "interfering in politics"."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/09/11/cabinet-minister-says-public-see-courts-biased-judges-rule-proroguing/
  • Options

Byronic said:

I have a side bet* with a pollster that if we do go for a No Deal Brexit that it will be like support for the Iraq war polling within two years.

Back in 2003 I think 65% supported the war, by 2006 65% remembered opposing the war.

Don't expect decent food though, post No Deal.
  • Options
    Excellent Matt this evening 🙂
  • Options
    Byronic said:

People’s attitudes before no deal are irrelevant; if we go there, what matters is what happens.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Laffer is most often used as a totem for those on the right who don’t have much of a clue about economics.
    The infamous curve was, literally, drawn up on a napkin.
    ... with no x-axis scale.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

Drutt said:

TSE, I've looked at the Opinium tables (v006 and v006(2)) and they say Boris is +36/-41 for net -5, and Corbyn is +19/-58 for net -39.

Nope, you're looking at current Labour voters, I'm looking at people who voted Labour in 2017
    Well then that's ludicrous, as Labour's vote in 2017 was stuffed with angry passionate Remainers who will now decamp to Swinson.
    Even in places where doing so will let a no deal Tory through the middle? I don't believe it.

Don't forget this week Labour announced it wanted to reverse anti strike laws too
  • Options

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If you are offering Stamp Duty as evidence as to where on the curve we might sit, I’m thinking that perhaps you don’t understand it?

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Byronic said:

This reads oddly.
    Satire. Dude. Satire. It's only a two syllable word.

I was joking, equally, about the threat to "nationalise pillows"
  • Options

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'll pay attention to the Laffer curve when someone comes up with either a proof it exists in the real world or a formula to calculate it.

It worked for Reagan and George W Bush in their re election campaigns
  • Options
    Byronic said:

“We’re gritty” ?
    In what badly written universe did anyone ever say that ?

• Options

Byronic said:

It is ok, we're both members of the metropolitan liberal elite, the good restaurants will look after us and keep the good stuff in reserve for our type.
  • Options

Do you know the biggest problem with the EU? Too many clever people...

https://twitter.com/propertyspot/status/1171877411572637696?s=21

He's more a 5 pages of A4 man.
    No, he's four-and-a-half pages short of the full Yellowhammer.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yer 'aving a laffer there aren't you?
  • Options
    Just reading my report for work on Project Yellowhammer and I've called it Project Warhammer.

#AlwaysAGeek
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,581
    edited September 2019

But overall, anecdotal evidence is that the Nats will do less well in Scotland than their optimists predict. I am a scot by the way.,..
    I'm actually quite interested how the Britnat parties will split given how Brexity the SCUP are nowadays, sans Ms Davidson (no longer the Ruth Davidson Party, of course). Slab are not doing well, but then there aren't that many spare Slab votes left to hand out. The LDs could attract quite a few votes that might have gone to the Scottish Tories - or to Labour. Remember Edinburgh is very remainy, as is Scotland generally.
  • Options

Byronic said:

It is ok, we're both members of the metropolitan liberal elite, the good restaurants will look after us and keep the good stuff in reserve for our type.
    I thought you were a working-class northern boy? :wink:
  • Options
    Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

Byronic said:

This reads oddly.

I bet McDonnell isn't, he will probably nationalise duvets too, as Churchill said of Attlee 'every time he sees something big he wants to nationalise it'.

Would apply equally to Corbyn and his Shadow Chancellor
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

“We’re gritty” ?

It's in the script!
  • Options
    Just took the dog for a walk round Public Square in Cleveland. There’s a small group of anti-Trump campaigners and a smaller group of what appear to be anti-anti-Trump campaigners and both groups have a megaphone to shout at each other with. Meanwhile shoppers give the noise a wide berth. Made me feel right at home.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Traditional Labour voters are not going to back the Tories in safe seats in great enough numbers for it to work. Why would a poorer than average person back a political party led by people of privileged background who think tax cuts for the rich at the expense of the poor are a priority

Talking utter bollocks worked for Trump in his election campaign.
    Doesn’t mean it’s not bollocks.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

“We’re gritty” ?

I know what you mean, but he really did say it. I promise. It is maybe possible, given the vagaries of recall, that he said something like "we've got grit", or "we're a gritty country".

But the precision is not needed. Whatever the exact terms, he said it.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

“We’re gritty” ?

It's in the script!
    Satire...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Traditional Labour voters are not going to back the Tories in safe seats in great enough numbers for it to work. Why would a poorer than average person back a political party led by people of privileged background who think tax cuts for the rich at the expense of the poor are a priority

Bollocks or not it still won the election
  • Options

Byronic said:

I used to self identify as a working class northerner on the grounds that I was

1) Working
    2) Had class
    3) Northerner

That counts right?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nixon's Southern Strategy won him re-election oin 1968 but it doesn't make it a good thing.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

Byronic said:

This reads oddly.

I bet McDonnell isn't, he will probably nationalise duvets too, as Churchill said of Attlee 'every time he sees something big he wants to nationalise it'.

I’m going to pretend I’m you for a second. Ahem.

Attlee won a 146 seat majority so therefore Churchill was wrong.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I'm actually quite interested how the Britnat parties will split given how Brexity the SCUP are nowadays, sans Ms Davidson (no longer the Ruth Davidson Party, of course). Slab are not doing well, but then there aren't that many spare Slab votes left to hand out. The LDs could attract quite a few votes that might have gone to the Scottish Tories - or to Labour. Remember Edinburgh is very remainy, as is Scotland generally.
    Stopped reading when i got to 'Britnat'...
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

“We’re gritty” ?

I know what you mean, but he really did say it. I promise....
    So, either he was taking the piss, or you are. :smile:

• Options

Byronic said:

1) Working
    2) Had class
    3) Northerner

That counts right?
    So you've dropped the hyphen?
  • Options

Byronic said:

1) Working
    2) Had class
    3) Northerner

That counts right?
    If you live south of the Tyne then you are a southerner.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nixon's Southern Strategy won him re-election oin 1968 but it doesn't make it a good thing.
    Nixon was reelected in 1972, 68 was the first term
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Byronic said:

1) Working
    2) Had class
    3) Northerner

That counts right?
    Howay man and shite.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,581
    edited September 2019

Carnyx said:

Stopped reading when i got to 'Britnat'...
    I could have said Unionist but that would clash with the SCUP name. The point remains that if you are a little-u unionist (or Unionist) there are three parties to choose from, which are either Remain, Brexity, or heaven knows.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Is there any line you will not cross to win an election? Are you that devoid of principle?
  • Options
    isam said:
    I've noticed that Boris has a definite tic. Under pressure. He takes out a pen, from his pocket, clicks it, and - maybe - takes notes. Often he doesn't take notes. He just clicks it again, and then puts it back in his inner jacket pocket, unused.

Watch him in almost every scenario. He'll do it. He does it in that vid.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Byronic said:

Remember the statistics about the hundreds of thousands of companies not ready for exiting the EU without a deal. The people who run these companies might be like your builder. They are completely unaware of what Leaving the EU means or entails.

I spoke to a relative also in the building trade and not the sharpest tool in the box. He thinks the vote to Leave means we should just Leave, he does not understand the impact on him professionally and has this stupid attitude of everything will be alright. They think Leave is like going through a door. I have heard this from the less well educated before on Norther Ireland for instance they now say nobody warned them about the complexity of the issues or what will happen. The problem is these people do not listen to something they don't want to hear or does not align with their prejudices. But I did not bother challenging my relative as he is unable to understand strategic or governmental issues.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Byronic said:

1) Working
    2) Had class
    3) Northerner

That counts right?
    Hey!!!
    South banker, then ?
  • Options

Byronic said:

1) Working
    2) Had class
    3) Northerner

That counts right?
    You are about as much a working class Northerner as Prince Charles is a working class Welshman
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Is there any line you will not cross to win an election? Are you that devoid of principle?
    At the moment yes, given Corbyn is worse
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

1) Working
    2) Had class
    3) Northerner

That counts right?
    You are about as much a working class Northerner as Prince Charles is a working class Welshman
    A bit like how Rees Mogg is a gritty man of the people?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

At the moment yes, given Corbyn is worse
    At least you admit it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Byronic said:

1) Working
    2) Had class
    3) Northerner

That counts right?
    Hey!!!
    South banker, then ?
    2 miles south. At least I'm an extremely Northern Southerner.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Emily Maitlis is much the most entertaining political interviewer and in my opinion the best
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

Byronic said:

This reads oddly.

I’m going to pretend I’m you for a second. Ahem.

Attlee won a 146 seat majority so therefore Churchill was wrong.
    Attlee also lost in 1935 and 1951 (when Churchill beat him to avenge 1945) and 1955
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,277

Just reading my report for work on Project Yellowhammer and I've called it Project Warhammer.

#AlwaysAGeek

In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only Brexit.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

isam said:
    I've noticed that Boris has a definite tic. Under pressure. He takes out a pen, from his pocket, clicks it, and - maybe - takes notes. Often he doesn't take notes. He just clicks it again, and then puts it back in his inner jacket pocket, unused.

Watch him in almost every scenario. He'll do it. He does it in that vid.
    He looked completely shagged (and not in a Boris way) in the video clip that accompanied the Facebook sham PMQs today.

The pressure of continual failure must be getting to him.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Boris Johnson campaigned in his leadership election about cutting taxes for the rich, where does Johnson think the money will come from to pay for this? The poor have the most densely concentrated numbers in safe Labour seats. Tories think the rich do not have enougperatives.

It does if you are a white Southerner even if not for many others but the Laffer curve is nothing to do with the Southern Strategy (even if Boris may be trying out his Northern Strategy)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

Drutt said:

Well then that's ludicrous, as Labour's vote in 2017 was stuffed with angry passionate Remainers who will now decamp to Swinson.
    Even in places where doing so will let a no deal Tory through the middle? I don't believe it.

Don't forget this week Labour announced it wanted to reverse anti strike laws too
    Piffle. If he reverses them slightly we'd end up in a similar position to where France or Germany have been for many years. Or we'd be where the UK would have been before 1979 if Wilson and Castle had carried on at the top of govt and Callaghan hadn't taken over.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"A cabinet minister has raised accusations of "bias" against the judiciary after a Scottish court ruled Boris Johnson had misled the Queen when he “unlawfully” prorogued Parliament.

Three judges accused the Prime Minister of suspending the Commons for the “improper purpose of stymying Parliament” over his Brexit plans and said last Monday’s prorogation was “null and of no effect”.

But Kwasi Kwarteng, the business minister, said that voters were "beginning to question the partiality of the judges" and accusing them of "interfering in politics"."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/09/11/cabinet-minister-says-public-see-courts-biased-judges-rule-proroguing/

The words of someone who is not hugely confident the SC will rule in their favour and is getting in the excuses to whip up a hatred narrative.
    Labour still clinging on ahead of the LDs, but for that single poll a month ago or so. I wonder what psycological effect there might be if they could sustain for even a week a series of leads of Labour.
  • Options
    lol!

i somehow think the Tories will cope with a FOURTEEN POINT LEAD
  • Options

Yeah, you've stated that a few times, in a rather plaintive way.

I haven't seen any 'Nats' on here making optimistic predictions, but plenty of non Nats making general predictions of SNP gains. What examples of the former are you referring to?
  • Options
    Interesting that 7% of people are so determined to vote for the Brexit Party they are willing to click through to another screen. Probably their floor?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,595
    edited September 2019
    Drutt said:

Strictly no, because TSE is focusing on 2017 Labour voters only. But your wider point is correct, in that TSE's conclusion is wrong because (a) testing opinions of all party leaders using the results from a narrow base of Labour voters only is pretty difficult to put in context against expectations and (b) it ignores the more relevant question - the forced choice as preferred PM question.

So take the question from Opinium that asks "which of the following would make the best PM" and focus only on the 2017 voters who prefer the leader of the party they voted for in 2017 and you get:
    56% of 2017 Conservatives prefer Johnson
    34% of 2017 Labour prefer Corbyn
    49% of 2017 LDs prefer Swinson

In a two way choice between Johnson and Corbyn only, excluding Farage and Swinson, the results are starker
    69% of 2017 Con prefer Johnson, and 1% Corbyn, net 68% to Johnson
    39% of 2017 Lab prefer Corbyn, and 17% Johnson, net 22% only to Corbyn

That paints a completely contrasting and more realistic picture, taken from exactly the same Opinium sample as used in the thread header. It shows I think that Johnson could pick up a significant minority of 2017 Labour voters, while Corbyn can expect nothing in the opposite direction.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

lol!

Because only this poll could possibly be correct?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Anecdotes like 20 point plus poll leads?
  • Options

Byronic said:

Remember the statistics about the hundreds of thousands of companies not ready for exiting the EU without a deal. The people who run these companies might be like your builder. They are completely unaware of what Leaving the EU means or entails.

I spoke to a relative also in the building trade and not the sharpest tool in the box. He thinks the vote to Leave means we should just Leave, he does not understand the impact on him professionally and has this stupid attitude of everything will be alright. They think Leave is like going through a door. I have heard this from the less well educated before on Norther Ireland for instance they now say nobody warned them about the complexity of the issues or what will happen. The problem is these people do not listen to something they don't want to hear or does not align with their prejudices. But I did not bother challenging my relative as he is unable to understand strategic or governmental issues.
    Some beliefs are completely unshakeable:
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/09/frank-pomeroy-sutherland-springs-gun-rights-texas-statehouse.html
  • Options
    Byronic said:

lol!

Yes but the point is that the trend is downwards since this whole palaver. Despite the constant howling from you Brexiteers that outside of London everyone is lapping it up.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    kle:

"Because only this poll could possibly be correct?"

++++

It's the one cited! What am I meant to do, reference other polls, with footnotes and pie charts? Give over.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Apparently a key issue that came up in the Scottish Court was the government couldn’t supply a single sworn affidavit in terms of witness statement as to the motivations for the suspension of Parliament .

One wonders why . How much this impacts the SC next week we’ll find out in due course.

• Options
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

The words of someone who is not hugely confident the SC will rule in their favour and is getting in the excuses to whip up a hatred narrative.
    Labour still clinging on ahead of the LDs, but for that single poll a month ago or so. I wonder what psycological effect there might be if they could sustain for even a week a series of leads of Labour.
    Indeed. But the 1234 order has been consistent for a while now, even with the large variations of actual scores.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

Drutt said:

Piffle. If he reverses them slightly we'd end up in a similar position to where France or Germany have been for many years. Or we'd be where the UK would have been before 1979 if Wilson and Castle had carried on at the top of govt and Callaghan hadn't taken over.
    Germany has few strikes and unions more willing to negotiate, France is always on strike hence Macron's labour reforms
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

Drutt said:

Germany has few strikes and unions more willing to negotiate, France is always on strike hence Macron's labour reforms
    If Corbyn proposed the German works council system here you’d have a fit
This discussion has been closed.