Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rebels with a cause

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rebels with a cause

Excl: Expelled Tory rebels plotting to oust Boris Johnson as an MP by running a candidate against him in his Uxbridge marginal seathttps://t.co/inaQ9St31N

Read the full story here

Comments

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,404
    edited September 2019
    First, like the woman in Donny in a battle of wits with Bozo.
  • Boris doing a chicken run.......beyond parody does not quite cover it.....
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    Those intent on playground politics will not fare well in the coming election. It's going to be about clearing them out.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    Great pic to choose of Farage... that'll be the 2 mins hate poster for the refusetoaccepttheylost-niks

Boris doing a chicken run.......beyond parody does not quite cover it.....

BFC!
  • I am not convinced pacts, standing down for people and decapitation strategies actually work.. I think this oversimplifies peoples reasons for voting for a particular party and also galvanises the party you are trying to oust and its supporters..

I think it just doesn't look like fair play to the average voter and so it just doesn't wash well.. Its for this reason I oppose a brexit party/tory pact..
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Tbh, I don't think this is huge deal, all it does is split the remainer vote even further.
  • Good.....looks like they’ve learned from Gatwick.....

https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk/status/1172526693409574912?s=20
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited September 2019
    But if the Tories DID do a deal with BXP would that poison BXP for ex-Labour “will never vote Tory” voters?

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1172526658110328835?s=20
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343
    edited September 2019
    Bad idea for Rory to be the one. We need him in Penrith and Border where he is highly regarded and should win against all comers. Goodness knows who will win in Uxbridge but it won't be the 'one nation Tory but not Boris' candidate. A Boris decapitation strategy requires a focus on both Brexit taking votes off Boris, and a Lib/Lab cabal, with an agreement as to which of them is the front runner, doing the same. Only a Lib/Lab candidate can win.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Carole Codswollap throwing her toys out of the pram? :D
  • If Boris did chicken run then Beaconsfield is next door and currently available. Ruislip, Northwood and Pinner is also available.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2019
    O/T

This video has apparently been "demonetised" by YouTube, which means they don't approve of it. It's a couple of British comedians interviewing Andy Ngo about Antifa.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MazigYOwK3A
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,620
    Flicked over to the golf in the hope it will bring a Smith wicket at the Oval.

If Boris did chicken run then Beaconsfield is next door and currently available. Ruislip, Northwood and Pinner is also available.

All very Remainy thought? (question mark deliberate, I haven't checked)

But if the Tories DID do a deal with BXP would that poison BXP for ex-Labour “will never vote Tory” voters?

Indeed – a Catch 22 I think
  • Mr. JS, an awful lot of stuff gets demonetised on Youtube. Can be videogames (not advertiser-friendly) and I understand even the family-friendly stuff has recently been thrown into the Pit of the Algorithm.
  • F1: Williams will have Mercedes engines until the end of 2025.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    AndyJS said:

O/T

This video has apparently been "demonetised" by YouTube, which means they don't approve of it. It's a couple of British comedians interviewing Andy Ngo about Antifa.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MazigYOwK3A

Yep I've seen that. I quite like triggernometry. This sort of things needs to be engaged with by liberals not ridiculed.
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    fpt for Southam

My sympathies for your courageous sister. She's got the right stuff, that's for sure

• dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

Half a success. Wicket. Not Smith. Good effort though.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,776
    dixiedean said:

Another good effort by Archer.
  • Byronic said:

fpt for Southam

My sympathies for your courageous sister. She's got the right stuff, that's for sure

Yep - she is unbelievable. She's also been battling cancer for the last two years (successfully it is currently looking like, touch wood). I am in constant awe of her.
  • OT. And these are the same people who until the GE is called consider that they are still deserving of the Conservative whip?
    dixiedean said:

Excellent. I'll try harder next time.
  • algarkirk said:

Bad idea for Rory to be the one. We need him in Penrith and Border where he is highly regarded and should win against all comers. Goodness knows who will win in Uxbridge but it won't be the 'one nation Tory but not Boris' candidate. A Boris decapitation strategy requires a focus on both Brexit taking votes off Boris, and a Lib/Lab cabal, with an agreement as to which of them is the front runner, doing the same. Only a Lib/Lab candidate can win.

My guess is that Johnson's vote could go down, but that his majority will go up. The LibDem will take quite a few votes from the Labour candidate, who is Momentum approved and comes with the usual history of anti-Semitic behaviour.

• If Boris did chicken run then Beaconsfield is next door and currently available. Ruislip, Northwood and Pinner is also available.

All very Remainy thought? (question mark deliberate, I haven't checked)
    Electoral Calculus estimate as follows:

Beaconsfield - 49% leave
    Ruslip Northwood - 47% leave

Uxbridge is estimated at 58% leave so much more Brexitty, although a smaller majority
    Very strong day for Sterling. With ECB rates going even more negative and the US likely to cut again Sterling does have a bit going for it at the moment.

dixiedean said:

Smith dropped. You're getting closer :)
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

You honestly begin to wonder if Root is going to survive as captain. He needs to get focused on his batting and fielding.
  • surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

algarkirk said:

My guess is that Johnson's vote could go down, but that his majority will go up. The LibDem will take quite a few votes from the Labour candidate, who is Momentum approved and comes with the usual history of anti-Semitic behaviour.

This is where there is a question about Lib Dem's desire to bring about Remain. They are way third in the seat. If they just do not put up a candidate and so does the Greens, Johnson is in big trouble.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    DavidL said:

Very strong day for Sterling. With ECB rates going even more negative and the US likely to cut again Sterling does have a bit going for it at the moment.

No offence but is it all really relevant? By your own admission it's due to factors elsewhere.

There hasn't been too much of a shift lately, perhaps hard brexit is factored in? Or maybe markets still don't believe it/are convinced it will be stopped.
    DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

You honestly begin to wonder if Root is going to survive as captain. He needs to get focused on his batting and fielding.
    Tbf that would have been an excellent catch.
    Heard a stat that no England captain had lost 2 Ashes series and kept the job for over 100 years. Need to stop giving the job to our best batsman.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Byronic said:

fpt for Southam

You need to apologise to @Noo.
    Scott_P said:
    So Boris has encountered two hostile people and that's evidence that everyone in the north hates him?
  • NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

fpt for Southam

Sadly, I wasn't the only one being threatened.
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

fpt for Southam

I was on at the time last night and I think emotions (and alcohol) were running high! :D
    The only time Smith has looked anywhere near vulnerable in this series is when Archer is bowling at him at up near 90.
  • algarkirk said:

He will run, run, run away.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,584
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Heard a stat that no England captain had lost 2 Ashes series and kept the job for over 100 years. Need to stop giving the job to our best batsman.
    Not a half chance, though. A genuine drop.

Not only being captain, but also playing more cricket than just about anyone else over the last twelve months, has left him looking more than a bit jaded.
    Which, for someone who normally looks about eighteen, is a strange look.

DavidL said:

No offence but is it all really relevant? By your own admission it's due to factors elsewhere.

There hasn't been too much of a shift lately, perhaps hard brexit is factored in? Or maybe markets still don't believe it/are convinced it will be stopped.
    I think the latter actually which is why it is relevant. And, as we agree, there is a lot going on elsewhere which is pretty uniformly negative.
    Noo said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

fpt for Southam

If it was me I would be tempted to put it down to rhetoric/rioja/the internet but it wasn't me. It was you and if you as the recipient feel, as you have every right to, that it was not appropriate then he should absolutely apologise.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,723
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Bring back Brearley. Or Fletcher.

Yes, I know, I know. TBH Can't think of a really captain-ish captain at the moment.
    GIN1138 said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

fpt for Southam

I was on at the time last night and I think emotions (and alcohol) were running high! :D
    Fine. We've all been there but then apologise.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    DavidL said:

We're only a revoke of Article 50 away from a lovely strong currency again.
    Still getting wickets at the wrong end.

My only other option seems to be boring myself senseless with the Monaco GP highlights on Sky Sports F1.

But even Aussie wickets aren't worth that ordeal in mundanity.
  • But if the Tories DID do a deal with BXP would that poison BXP for ex-Labour “will never vote Tory” voters?

Another interpretation of that YouGov table is that, for every 10 Leave voters who voted Labour in 2017, Labour would only have a net lead of 2 were the same voters to vote again now. Overall that is excellent news for the Tories. The equivalent table in Opinium leads to the same conclusion, although the Conservatives have a slightly higher share of Labour Leave voters there and the Brexit Party a lower share.

The answer to your question is no. Opinium find that with a 4 way choice including Farage, 23% of 2017 Labour Leave voters would prefer Corbyn and 24% Johnson as best PM. When it's reduced to a 2 way choice, the figure is 36% for Johnson and 24% for Corbyn. So overwhelmingly, those who prefer Farage will as a second choice go for Johnson rather than Corbyn.

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Seeing the Cricket and that Australia really are not that good a team except that Steve Smith has scored 33% of their runs, really does make me think of the Tories really not being very good but hoping desperately that Boris, through charisma and campaigning, will cover up for their deficiencies and see them to victory.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,395
    I think I read somewhere that the Tories outpolled Labour by about 2 to 1 in the wards in Boris's seat in the 2018 Hillingdon council elections, (while it was the other way round in John McDonnell's seat, also in Hillingdon)

I really don't think there is any danger of Boris losing at all. I recall the same arguments being made about Michael Howard supposedly being at risk in 2005 and he won by a country mile.

DavidL said:

We're only a revoke of Article 50 away from a lovely strong currency again.
    Probably. And the markets seem to have a feeling it is getting closer.
    2 in 2 for England.
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Curran on a hat trick
    So the plan is to just keep bowling at the other end. Seems to have more potential than most ideas to date.
    Scott_P said:
    You really are hitting this hard, that people come and say mean things to a politician and that apparntly this is surprising when we know for a fact the country is very very divided. I hope he doesn't win a majority but it is possible and won't all these hilarious sketches seem very silly then.
  • TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

fpt for Southam

As someone who has read this site since the mid 2000s (and who sometimes comments too): I don’t think there’s much to be gained by being censorious about Sean.

He’s something of a fantasist: I really do doubt he’s living the life he claims to - it’s probably a lot more humble. I hesitate to use other terms.

Adopting his new “Byronic” persona is one thing, but combined with asking the site owners to expunge his previous contributions shows that despite regularly abusing people on this site, he’s probably the most needy contributor. He feels a compulsion to post here.

Is he entertaining? Yes.

Those intent on playground politics will not fare well in the coming election. It's going to be about clearing them out.

Hardly a threat if they don't care about winning themselves and just about wrecking someone else's chances.
    Stonch said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

fpt for Southam

As someone who has read this site since the mid 2000s (and who sometimes comments too): I don’t think there’s much to be gained by being censorious about Sean.

He’s something of a fantasist: I really do doubt he’s living the life he claims to - it’s probably a lot more humble. I hesitate to use other terms.

Adopting his new “Byronic” persona is one thing, but combined with asking the site owners to expunge his previous contributions shows that despite regularly abusing people on this site, he’s probably the most needy contributor. He feels a compulsion to post here.

Is he entertaining? Yes.
    That's exactly my reading of him too.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,676
    TOPPING said:

Noo said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

fpt for Southam

If it was me I would be tempted to put it down to rhetoric/rioja/the internet but it wasn't me. It was you and if you as the recipient feel, as you have every right to, that it was not appropriate then he should absolutely apologise.
    Have to say he sounds like he could not beat a carpet, just put it down to drink and move on. Be different if he knocked on your door.
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    You really are hitting this hard, that people come and say mean things to a politician and that apparntly this is surprising when we know for a fact the country is very very divided. I hope he doesn't win a majority but it is possible and won't all these hilarious sketches seem very silly then.
    I think it's 50/50 that he wins a majority. But the DUP will probably help him out again if he falls just short.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,395
    Boris's campaigning in these Northern seats is spot on. Coming across a few gobshites on the rounds is just what happens and the sympathies of the voters he is after will be with Boris.
    These personal engagements provide a very good contrast with Corbyn ranting away at rallies decked with union banners and red flags.
    Notwithstanding the legal possibilities of being PM not in the Commons, if the Tories won a majority thanks to BoJo but he lost his own seat, who might be entrusted to take up the baton as the senior Borisite candidate until the man himself got back in somehow?
    edited September 2019
    Stonch said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

fpt for Southam

Is he entertaining? Yes.
    All true but his actions last night were bullying and perhaps illegal. Sean is Sean doesn't cut it.

All he has to do is realise he has upset someone and before he gets stuck into the rioja again apologise.
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    So Boris has encountered two hostile people and that's evidence that everyone in the north hates him?
    No. However the likes of you and @HYUFD seem to suggest that Boris is the prodigal son who is worshiped from Watford Gap to the Cheviots.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,723
    kle4 said:

Seeing the Cricket and that Australia really are not that good a team except that Steve Smith has scored 33% of their runs, really does make me think of the Tories really not being very good but hoping desperately that Boris, through charisma and campaigning, will cover up for their deficiencies and see them to victory.

When, and whose, is the ball to be sandpapered?
    Warner has confirmed he nicked it this morning
    malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Noo said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

fpt for Southam

Have to say he sounds like he could not beat a carpet, just put it down to drink and move on. Be different if he knocked on your door.
    Agree Malc but it seems that @Noo is upset and it would be a shame to lose either of them.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    @HYUFD wrote this on a previous thread - “We are in a domestic civil war with diehard Remainers, there is no more room for appeasement as there was not in 1940 either”.

Equating people who want to Remain in the EU with Nazis is, frankly, a disgraceful statement for him to make.

kle4 said:

Not sure what Carrie would feel about that.

kle4 said:

Ask Carole Cadwalladr.
  • Cyclefree said:

@HYUFD wrote this on a previous thread - “We are in a domestic civil war with diehard Remainers, there is no more room for appeasement as there was not in 1940 either”.

Equating people who want to Remain in the EU with Nazis is, frankly, a disgraceful statement for him to make.

If he posted a bit less often he’d be amusing but as it stands HYUFD is making the site less readable. He’s bonkers and also malign. If I was a Smithson I’d ban him.
    Cyclefree said:

He's just processing the fact that he supports the Labour Party. He's lashing out.
    DavidL said:

So the plan is to just keep bowling at the other end. Seems to have more potential than most ideas to date.

It's exactly how the first game of the series went as well. The better team has retained the Ashes, but neither are world beaters (though Australia have 2 in their side).
    Stonch said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

fpt for Southam

Is he entertaining? Yes.
    I was wondering where Sean Fear had gone
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited September 2019
    Been re reading the Scottish Court opinion.

You still favour the SC over ruling it however a few things jumped out which I missed earlier .

The court took particular issue with when the order to prorogue was called . That being whilst the house wasn’t sitting during the summer recess so stopped MPs from passing legislation to restrict it.

The court reasoned that even though a normal recess was due for the conferences MPs vote on that and may have chosen to not have them or shorten the length .

Bizarrely not a single avernment was made , that being a statement of the clear reasons behind the suspension.

It seems as if the government was overly confident that the court would simply rule the matter was not justiciable and simply fought the appeal on that .

This of course blew up in their faces .
    Anyone watch the Democratic debate last night?

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    No. However the likes of you and @HYUFD seem to suggest that Boris is the prodigal son who is worshiped from Watford Gap to the Cheviots.
    :D
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kle4 said:

All news articles are tomorrows' chip paper.

Given that BoZo's electoral strategy as far as it can be discerned is predicated on winning Northern seats from Labour, these interactions might inform those wishing to bet on the likely outcomes.
    edited September 2019
    Stonch said:

Cyclefree said:

If he posted a bit less often he’d be amusing but as it stands HYUFD is making the site less readable. He’s bonkers and also malign. If I was a Smithson I’d ban him.
    If I was a Smithson, yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum.

In the old days, when tim the election reverse indicator was spamming the site, quoting polling non stop to see off anyone's personal opinion was seen as a good thing

What was it? "PB Anecdote vs Polling"? How we laughed
  • Boris's campaigning in these Northern seats is spot on. Coming across a few gobshites on the rounds is just what happens and the sympathies of the voters he is after will be with Boris.
    These personal engagements provide a very good contrast with Corbyn ranting away at rallies decked with union banners and red flags.

Describing the woman in Doncaster as a gobshite is ridiculous and insulting.

That description could be better applied to the chap she was debating with.
  • Warner has confirmed he nicked it this morning

So he was sentenced to transportation for theft.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    nico67 said:

Bizarrely not a single avernment was made , that being a statement of the clear reasons behind the suspension.

It seems as if the government was overly confident that the court would simply rule the matter was not justiciable and simply fought the appeal on that .

The lack of a signed statement from the Government as to their intentions was a key factor.

As noted earlier, the Government could potentially influence the outcome of the SC hearing by providing sworn statements now.

No such statement has apparently been provided, from much will be inferred.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,676
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Noo said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

fpt for Southam

Agree Malc but it seems that @Noo is upset and it would be a shame to lose either of them.
    Very true Topping , however it is impossible to be on the internet and not have someone giving you a hard time of it. Noo should certainly not stop posting because of it for sure.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Stonch said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

fpt for Southam

Is he entertaining? Yes.
    You must remember the smiling Gordons?

Those were simpler times.

Warner has confirmed he nicked it this morning

So he was sentenced to transportation for theft.
    No, he is being exhibited in the national history museum as 'most owned bitch ever on a cricket pitch' his average this series is hilarious
    Cyclefree said:

He was always a bit eccentric and obsessed with polls and his interpretations of them. But lately, he has gone really ………..
    AndyJS said:

2 in 2 for England.

But HE is still there.
    edited September 2019

Cyclefree said:

He was always a bit eccentric and obsessed with polls and his interpretations of them. But lately, he has gone really ………..
    It's the first sign of acceptance of the impending accession of Prime Minister Swinson. Bringer of Liberalism. Breaker of chains.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Scott_P said:

nico67 said:

The lack of a signed statement from the Government as to their intentions was a key factor.

As noted earlier, the Government could potentially influence the outcome of the SC hearing by providing sworn statements now.

Well with Gove refusing to release documents , messages related to the suspension that’s not a good look . All messages, emails in this context are public record .

The problem is who will sign something if they worry there’s loads of contradictory info out there .

AndyJS said:

2 in 2 for England.

But HE is still there.
    I'm hoping Australia last a bit longer because I've got a ticket for the final day. The way things are going this could be another 4 day match.
    nico67 said:

Scott_P said:

nico67 said:

Well with Gove refusing to release documents , messages related to the suspension that’s not a good look . All messages, emails in this context are public record .

The problem is who will sign something if they worry there’s loads of contradictory info out there .

No one wants to sign a sworn affidavit. It tells you everything.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

Cyclefree said:

He has a very worrying monomania/idee fixe regarding “diehard remainers”. It comes across as a bit mad.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    AndyJS said:

Anyone watch the Democratic debate last night?

I did not but have seen clips on politics live and sky news.
    The Joe Biden ones are a hard watch if you are a supporter of his.
    I think the Democrats will lose in 2020 if they nominate him.
This discussion has been closed.