Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB close the gap by 4 with Opinium

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited September 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB close the gap by 4 with Opinium

Latest Opinium hasCON 36% – 1LAB 24% +3LD 20% +3BRX 11%-1

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992
    Still a 12% Tory lead as the Tories begin their conference and the LDs now closer to Labour than Labour are to the Tories
  • Options
    A Sicilian TV chef has been arrested on suspicion of drug dealing after police found cannabis at his home, Italian media report. Mr Chiaramonte described himself as an "agro-food consultant for third millennium cuisine",

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49864973
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Are we expecting any more polls tonight?
  • Options
    The broad brush of the body of polling remains clear. There are more than enough Lab/LD/Grn/Nat voters to block a Boris majority as in 2017. The questions are ( a ) Is that their priority ? ( b ) are they organised enough ?

I think the only honest answers to those questions at the moment is we don't know.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    In 2010 Labour were down to 22% in the polls a few days before the GE, they scored 29% on polling day. I think opinion polls understate Labour at the moment. I cannot see poor voters who voted Leave and previously voted Labour suddenly voting Tory. A low income voter is not going to vote for BoJo and the Tories who think people with higher income and wealth should get tax cuts that will mean less money for the poor...
  • Options

The broad brush of the body of polling remains clear. There are more than enough Lab/LD/Grn/Nat voters to block a Boris majority as in 2017. The questions are ( a ) Is that their priority ? ( b ) are they organised enough ?

I think the only honest answers to those questions at the moment is we don't know.

Have no firm information but I would guess that we will see three or four poles tonight
  • Options

b) QTWTAIN
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,078
    edited September 2019

Have no firm information but I would guess that we will see three or four poles tonight
    Will Jennifer Arcuri be dancing round any of them?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    TGOHF2 said:
    Johnson detested by 64% of the population
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

Still a 12% Tory lead as the Tories begin their conference and the LDs now closer to Labour than Labour are to the Tories

Be patient. As we speak, Dominic Cummings is sending to selected journalists details of the financial arrangements made for 17 more of Boris Johnson's girlfriends, in the hope that it will get his poll lead up to 20%.

A new series of party political broadcasts is in preparation, loosely modelled on the "Carry On" Films. The first is code-named "Carry On Up The Pole."
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Opinium and YouGov have a different sample makeup to ComRes, Delta, Survation etc. But it would be interesting to see the trend in the other polls.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

In 2010 Labour were down to 22% in the polls a few days before the GE, they scored 29% on polling day. I think opinion polls understate Labour at the moment. I cannot see poor voters who voted Leave and previously voted Labour suddenly voting Tory. A low income voter is not going to vote for BoJo and the Tories who think people with higher income and wealth should get tax cuts that will mean less money for the poor...

So what it is skilled working class C2s the Tories are leading with not poor DEs while middle class Remainer ABC1s who voted Labour in 2017 are now voting LD
  • Options
    No Labour's policy meant you lost all your benefits working over 16 hours a week unlike universal credit
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Are politicians no longer allowed to promise "a bonfire of the quangos"?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Not to his supporters.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Did he forget to capitalise the "P"?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231

As long as it's not a lap of Boris...
  • Options

Bloody Poles, coming over here, providing a snapshot of public opinion based on a representative sample of the electorate.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    OT. If any one wants an interesting piece of nostalgia 'Marianne and Leonard' is on TV this evening. I saw it at the cinema a couple of months ago and despite the clear paucity of material it's still unmissable.

As Is Almodovar's 'Julieta' also on at 9.00pm and one of his best.

Both much more interesting than Johnson's various floozies. Talking of which I like Alastair's Lord Sanwich story .
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    edited September 2019

Bloody Poles, coming over here, providing a snapshot of public opinion based on a representative sample of the electorate.
    The problem with all poles over here is that nobody Czechs them properly.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    nichomar said:

TGOHF2 said:
    Corbyn detested by........
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Is that Labour's conference bounce?

Hahahaha.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,753
    ydoethur said:

Chapeau, sir.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Labour is actually only up 2 points. The Observer report is inaccurate.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173

nichomar said:

TGOHF2 said:
    ...many voters, but crossover coming shortly.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Fake news?
  • Options

justin124 said:

Fake news?
    Shoddy journalism more likely!
  • Options

nichomar said:

TGOHF2 said:
    A large % of the population but let’s be honest no politician has the majority of the population behind them and haven’t for a long time it is ridiculous though for people to claim Johnson’s 36% is the majority of voters.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    So only 12 behind....... lol go Jezbollah!!

No seriously, go
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Fake news?
    Shoddy journalism more likely!
    Grauniad typo?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited September 2019
    Roger said:

OT. If any one wants an interesting piece of nostalgia 'Marianne and Leonard' is on TV this evening. I saw it at the cinema a couple of months ago and despite the clear paucity of material it's still unmissable.

As Is Almodovar's 'Julieta' also on at 9.00pm and one of his best.

Both much more interesting than Johnson's various floozies. Talking of which I like Alastair's Lord Sanwich story .

Omg another Almodovar fan ! I’m recording it.

My faves though are All About My Mother. I also love Volver in terms of his newer stuff .

On a different note give Wild Tales a watch , it’s an outrageous black comedy about revenge from Argentina with 6 different tales , it unfortunately has a beginning which was mirrored true life , the film came out before that tragic true event happened .
  • Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584
    justin124 said:

Turd polishing by the Granuaid.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    ydoethur said:

I don't get that, it's all Greek to me.

• Options

No of course they won't vote Tory. They'll vote Brexit.
  • Options

nichomar said:

TGOHF2 said:
    Who knows? Regardless. Corbyn and Johnson will each still be "detested" by more people than support them.
  • Options

nichomar said:

TGOHF2 said:
    Not with corbyn I think
  • Options

No of course they won't vote Tory. They'll vote Brexit.
    Or they won’t vote
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

TGOHF2 said:
    Not with corbyn I think
    The crossover could well be a result of Boris' ascending trajectory rather than a declining dislike for Corbyn.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    TGOHF2 said:
    As Francois Mitterand said after he was told the latest public opinion poll showed his disapproval rating at 85%. "Well as I'm here for another 4 years that would seem to be their problem not mine"

• Options
    ukelectukelect Posts: 106
    According to the latest UK-Elect Beta version that Opinium poll would lead to C 344 L 194 SNP 51 LD 37. (If anyone wants to try the forecast themselves, to look at the individual seat forecasts and point out any obvious errors, see the downloads page on the UK-Elect website. The new version is an attempt to take account of local brexit based conditions, but forecasting is proving a bit tricky currently!)
  • Options
    Floater said:

So only 12 behind....... lol go Jezbollah!!

No seriously, go

He is. Once he has taken Labour to an infamous defeat.
  • Options
    NYT:

Impeachment Is an Act of Desperation
    By Christopher Buskirk

"Maybe Democrats have secretly given up on Mr. Biden and see impeachment as a way to satisfy the demands of the activist base and at the same time get rid of him and ease the path for another candidate. I suspect that a lot of Democrats in the superdelegate and donor class have concluded that Mr. Biden is not capable of reassembling the Obama coalition that won the White House twice, and are also increasingly uncomfortable over Mr. Biden’s ability to withstand the rigors of a campaign against Mr. Trump."
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    What was it Mandy Rice- Davies once said?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    A contemptible former politician pontificates on the public's contempt for politicians ...
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Floater said:

ydoethur said:

Can we Finnish with the puns please?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    More dodgy conference polling but 12% is bloody good for Con in the cirumstances. :D
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

TGOHF2 said:
    Not with corbyn I think
    The crossover could well be a result of Boris' ascending trajectory rather than a declining dislike for Corbyn.
    Or a plague on both their houses
  • Options
    Johnson promises 40 new hospitals announces Telegraph
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    A contemptible former politician pontificates on the public's contempt for politicians ...
    Ashcroft isn’t a politician
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

TGOHF2 said:
    A large % of the population but let’s be honest no politician has the majority of the population behind them and haven’t for a long time it is ridiculous though for people to claim Johnson’s 36% is the majority of voters.
    You're absolutely right. But for the life of me I cannot understand why those who support Labour continue to support the excremental leadership they have.

As a slightly to the right of centre person I would willingly tolerate, maybe even support a moderate, sane, intelligent left of centre Labour proposition - committed to public services whilst encouraging and supporting, not penalising and demonising private enterprise. Especially when faced with the Conservative choice at the moment.

Corbyn is like a Black Hole. He distorts political space-time, warping all those around him into greater and greater extremism. Corbyn and his merry band of Marxists opened the door to extreme political thought in the UK. His Momentum fan boys opened the door to ever more cultish adoration and deliberate ignorance of the mans complete unsuitability to hold high office. Soemthing we had never seen ion the UK before.

Ironically we actually don't know a lot about Boris' domestic agenda, yet, as he is only being seen through the telescope of Brexit. I doubt he would be extreme on the right as Corbyn is on the left.

If there was a David Milibandesque character heading Labour now Labour would be on course to the biggest majority ever seen. Hell, I would even vote for such a person.
  • Options

NYT:

By Christopher Buskirk

"Maybe Democrats have secretly given up on Mr. Biden and see impeachment as a way to satisfy the demands of the activist base and at the same time get rid of him and ease the path for another candidate. I suspect that a lot of Democrats in the superdelegate and donor class have concluded that Mr. Biden is not capable of reassembling the Obama coalition that won the White House twice, and are also increasingly uncomfortable over Mr. Biden’s ability to withstand the rigors of a campaign against Mr. Trump."

Well that's bollocks of course. The Dems have been building slowly up to this for some weeks. The Biden stuff has catalysed it, to be sure, but it was coming anyway.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    nichomar said:

TGOHF2 said:
    ....and Jo Swinson by 80%?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

NYT:

By Christopher Buskirk

Indeed. A cynic may well suggest - especially given the timing - that this story is at least as much aimed at getting Biden, as it is about getting Trump.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    TGOHF2 said:

justin124 said:

Turd polishing by the Granuaid.
    So the thread header is inaccurate. But to be more serious in a little while we might get another poll saying virtually the oppposite. The high degree of volatility just makes the poll companies seem as incompetent as our governing classes.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    Almost like you didn't read the post you replied to
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

More dodgy conference polling but 12% is bloody good for Con in the cirumstances. :D

It is indeed - but is only half the lead the Tories had at the beginning of the 2017 election campaign. Moreover, the stronger LD vote means that a 12% lead produces a much smaller majority than would have been the case at that election.
  • Options
    ukelect said:

According to the latest UK-Elect Beta version that Opinium poll would lead to C 344 L 194 SNP 51 LD 37. (If anyone wants to try the forecast themselves, to look at the individual seat forecasts and point out any obvious errors, see the downloads page on the UK-Elect website. The new version is an attempt to take account of local brexit based conditions, but forecasting is proving a bit tricky currently!)

Nice to hear from you, sir. Your website is here: https://www.ukelect.co.uk/ . Good luck.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:
    It of course *wouldn't* force the UK to roll over to anything Brussels demands, but we've gone so far into the post-truth world I just feel what's the sodding point of trying to correct it.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Noo said:

Floater said:

ydoethur said:

The PB Community is always Hungary for more election predictions.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Sunday Times infering Boris might have a woman problem, at the very least he might wonder how to keep his current girlfriend away from the paper.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Is he paying for that with the no deal sunny uplands dividend ?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    Hence the word "former"?
  • Options

Noo said:

Floater said:

ydoethur said:

There's Nor-way they'll be accurate though.
  • Options

Noo said:

Floater said:

ydoethur said:

There's Nor-way they'll be accurate though.
    Romaniers will not accept Norway as a soluntion ;)
  • Options
    Noo said:

Charles said:

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    Almost like you didn't read the post you replied to
    To be fair, it was quite long. Eleven whole words to take in.
  • Options

If there was a David Milibandesque character heading Labour now Labour would be on course to the biggest majority ever seen. Hell, I would even vote for such a person.

It really wouldn't (for one thing a David Miliband type would never promise to end tuition fees).

But its a fantasy nice, comfortable centrists persist in.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Scott_P said:
    It of course *wouldn't* force the UK to roll over to anything Brussels demands, but we've gone so far into the post-truth world I just feel what's the sodding point of trying to correct it.
    It is only the MoS. You should never take the stories in such a child's comic seriously...
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Is he paying for that with the no deal sunny uplands dividend ?
    Also known as the Bus Bonanza.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Scott_P said:
    I understand your frustration . It’s pointless . The UK has now gone full on Trump. The Tories just lie non stop now and are helped along by the right wing press .
  • Options
    I presume the headline refers to the current govt's apparent cavalier attitude to the law...?
  • Options
    These mail pages must be parody fake news? No serious journalist would publish these items when everything is so febrile wouldbthey?
  • Options
    ukelectukelect Posts: 106
    viewcode said:

ukelect said:

Nice to hear from you, sir. Your website is here: https://www.ukelect.co.uk/ . Good luck.
    Thanks for the comment and link! Appreciated!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Noo said:

Floater said:

ydoethur said:

In the run up to Xmas the PB community is Hungary for Turkey.
  • Options
    So in the week Boris broke the law, lied to the Queen, is agreed by all meda outlets to be the most disgusting human being to threaten civiliation since Genghis Khan, his polling is down by.....one point?
  • Options
    Mail throws petrol (supplied by Cummings no doubt) onto the bonfire:

https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1178047071519215616
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    felix said:

Noo said:

Floater said:

ydoethur said:

In the run up to Xmas the PB community is Hungary for Turkey.
    So they'll all be Russian home to get out the best China.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    Noo said:

Floater said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, Letts!
  • Options

Noo said:

Floater said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, Letts!
    It clearly Yanks your chain.....
  • Options

I presume the headline refers to the current govt's apparent cavalier attitude to the law...?
    The papers which supported fascism in the 1930s are having another go. Democracy is in meltdown so let's have something else instead.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited September 2019

Scott_P said:
    What was it Mandy Rice- Davies once said?
    "Doshvadanya Tovarich"? EDIT: I am getting mixed up - that would have been Christine Keeler. MR-D would have been "Cor blimey guv'nor"
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

The Mail is a disgrace. Jesus.
  • Options

So in the week Boris broke the law, lied to the Queen, is agreed by all meda outlets to be the most disgusting human being to threaten civiliation since Genghis Khan, his polling is down by.....one point?

Well I am glad that you agree with all of those things but missed out quite a few others that we will save for another day
  • Options

Will they also be investigating the hedge funds bankrolling Bozo and the Tories who want a no deal to make themselves a big profit !

• Options
    nichomar said:

Well I am glad that you agree with all of those things but missed out quite a few others that we will save for another day
    The day after Boris wins a majority you mean? :wink:
  • Options
    edited September 2019

The Mail is a disgrace. Jesus.
    It’s more than a disgrace but I struggle to find words to condemn it as much as it deserves.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    nico67 said:

Will they also be investigating the hedge funds bankrolling Bozo and the Tories who want a no deal to make themselves a big profit !

By definition a hedge fund should make money on both sides of the outcome. Hence the name hedge.
  • Options

nichomar said:

The day after Boris wins a majority you mean? :wink:
    Who is this boris to which you refer do you mean Al who’s brother can’t serve in his government or who’s sister says he is beholden to the hedge fund managers who bank roll him?
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,939

I’ve been watching the Ken Burns/Lyn Novick series of documentary films about the Virtnam war & one the things that’s very striking is just how long it took for Nixon’s polling to drop as the revelations about the truth of his conduct became unavoidable even for the true believers. Even at the very end he still held onto a core 25% or so of the population who believed he could do no wrong.
  • Options
    Oh the EU commissioner story again in the MOS! Zzzzzzzz

• Options

nico67 said:

By definition a hedge fund should make money on both sides of the outcome. Hence the name hedge.
    Or minimise the loss. Hence the name hedge.

(Sorry. Pedantry gene. It's OK to hate me... :) )
This discussion has been closed.