Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The booby trap. Prime Ministers under the Fixed Term Parliamen

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited September 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The booby trap. Prime Ministers under the Fixed Term Parliaments Act 2011

We are used to American presidents dominating their country’s politics.  “Commander in chief” can be understood in more than one way, given how the role has developed. It was not always thus. For most of the nineteenth century, American presidents were chiefly distinctive for their lack of distinction. In the sixty year period between Andrew Jackson to Teddy Roosevelt, only Abraham Lincoln really stood out for his achievements. Taken as a group, they were strikingly anonymous.  

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First like Hamilton (sadly not Max)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    Second like Bottas
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited September 2019
    Sort of mostly related to the previous thread, but if the SNP put down a No Confidence motion in Johnson this week, my opinion of them will go up by approximately a zillion per cent (from an admittedly extremely low base).

It's clear that this would be tactically a daft thing for the opposition parties to do right now, but it's also clear that this is literally the only sane way forward for the country.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Ok, one of my random posts but I've decided the bellweather for the coming election as to whether its a) brexit dominated and b) labour meltdown is Sunderland Central
    55 to 33 Lab to Tory last time and 61% leave.
    If Boris has the Brexit mojo behind him in any election I expect it to fall.
  • Options
    4th like Tory conference
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Sort of mostly related to the previous thread, but if the SNP put down a No Confidence motion in Johnson this week, my opinion of them will go up by approximately a zillion per cent (from an admittedly extremely low base).

It's clear that this would be tactically a daft thing for the opposition parties to do right now, but it's also clear that this is literally the only sane way forward for the country.

Another month is a short period to wait. Then the options for ways forward pile up.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,099
    A point that confuses me -

I gather that a government can put down a 'one liner' bill which calls for a GE on a named date 'notwithstanding the FTPA' and that this requires just a simple majority to pass.

So why does this not make the FTPA rather meaningless?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    Endillion said:

Literally the only sane way forward? Really?
  • Options
    The demented FTPA should be abolished. It should've self-destructed after the Coalition ended, and it's sheer idiocy that stopped it being written that way.
  • Options

Ok, one of my random posts but I've decided the bellweather for the coming election as to whether its a) brexit dominated and b) labour meltdown is Sunderland Central

You dont know Sunderland very well then

The one wearing the red rosette wins
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    kinabalu said:

I gather that a government can put down a 'one liner' bill which calls for a GE on a named date 'notwithstanding the FTPA' and that this requires just a simple majority to pass.

In practice it does, provided the government can rely on getting the bill through the House of Lords.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

The FTPA is, in every conceivable sense, useless
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    kinabalu said:

It only gets you around the supermajority point in the 'early election' part of the FTPA. It doesn't get you around the arithmetic of being a minority govt.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302

Endillion said:

Another month is a short period to wait. Then the options for ways forward pile up.
    There are clear and obvious benefits for Lab, SNP and LD to wait until BJ is forced to request and extension (or not) but there is also inherent risks in waiting. It's looking like the SNP have started to get cold feet.

The question is, has BJ (or cummings) found a way around the Benn act or are they actually bluffing?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619
    kinabalu said:

You have to get it thru the Lords and it's longer. Although those are not insuperable problems, they do slow things down.
  • Options

I've set out the scale of the challenge and the possible factors. It was 45 to 30 in 2010. It's a very leave area. If Labour poll under 25% nationally and Boris has any sort of Brexit momentum, its falling imo. Con plus BXP is nailed on to be higher than Lab. Its a question of how the Con BXP splits.
  • Options

True, there is going to be a tory landslide if Sunderland fell.. As one of the first seats to declare though I think there will be some bellwether element to it.. If the Labour vote drops significantly e.g 10% and the tory vote remains the same I think this could point to a very interesting night..

Labour got 55% last time in the seat you refer to and i think it easy to see a situation where they loose 10% to the BXP and 5% to the LDs which will make it close.. I really can't see any scenario though where it will flip con
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Endillion said:

There are clear and obvious benefits for Lab, SNP and LD to wait until BJ is forced to request and extension (or not) but there is also inherent risks in waiting. It's looking like the SNP have started to get cold feet.

The question is, has BJ (or cummings) found a way around the Benn act or are they actually bluffing?
    I think they’ve learned to do their plotting in private, as opposed to in public after the past few weeks.

My guess is that on 20th, the PM gives his reasons for not sending the letter - something like the associated spending with remaining in the EU has not been budgeted for - then challenges someone to judicially review that decision. That gives only 10 days for the entire JR process, which will obviously go right up to the SC again. On 28th or 29th, the legal process is exhausted and, if not in favour of the government, they resign rather than send the letter.
  • Options

The demented FTPA should be abolished. It should've self-destructed after the Coalition ended, and it's sheer idiocy that stopped it being written that way.

What’s so bad about it? As I set out above, it can work perfectly well if politicians focus on the features of the system and act accordingly.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Thank you Mr Meeks. Very good article.
    I had wholly overlooked the fact that the opposition is now doing to Boris what Boris did to May. That's delicious.
  • Options

True, there is going to be a tory landslide if Sunderland fell.. As one of the first seats to declare though I think there will be some bellwether element to it.. If the Labour vote drops significantly e.g 10% and the tory vote remains the same I think this could point to a very interesting night..

Labour got 55% last time in the seat you refer to and i think it easy to see a situation where they loose 10% to the BXP and 5% to the LDs which will make it close.. I really can't see any scenario though where it will flip con
    If the election is Brexit on steroids I can see the North and Midlands being indicative of a Tory landslide but results elsewhere being very hung leading to a small Tory majority of 30 to 40 or so
  • Options

What’s so bad about it? As I set out above, it can work perfectly well if politicians focus on the features of the system and act accordingly.
    indeed, if we were not under the countdown of the Brexit 'deathclock' then it would be working as intended. There would be no incentive for the opposition to block an election
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I believe the FTPA is good for our democracy. Effectively unless with the consent of the largest opposition party, as in 2017, it prevents the government from calling an election for party advantage.

Many democracies manage fixed term without difficulty. I'm sure the UK government can cope.

• Options
    Endillion said:

I can see this happening. The PM could well find it in his own interest to entertain such a motion, which he otherwise does not have to do.
    I hope they do it. The opposition need to focus their minds sharply on replacing this Profumo/Charles I prime minister.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Endillion said:

I think the SNP are relying on Labour and Lib Dems not going along with it so that it doesn't happen yet, but they want to be able to position themselves as the party least tolerant of the Johnson Ministry.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Suspect whichever party gets a majority first will scrap FTPA as one of their first acts.

Don't see it lasting much longer.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

Endillion said:

I think they’ve learned to do their plotting in private, as opposed to in public after the past few weeks.

My guess is that on 20th, the PM gives his reasons for not sending the letter - something like the associated spending with remaining in the EU has not been budgeted for - then challenges someone to judicially review that decision. That gives only 10 days for the entire JR process, which will obviously go right up to the SC again. On 28th or 29th, the legal process is exhausted and, if not in favour of the government, they resign rather than send the letter.
    Extremely irresponsible, would the Tories ever be forgiven?
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

Endillion said:

I think the SNP are relying on Labour and Lib Dems not going along with it so that it doesn't happen yet, but they want to be able to position themselves as the party least tolerant of the Johnson Ministry.
    it does rely on BJ not making his own MPs vote for the no-confidence motion though
  • Options
    JackW said:

I believe the FTPA is good for our democracy. Effectively unless with the consent of the largest opposition party, as in 2017, it prevents the government from calling an election for party advantage.

Many democracies manage fixed term without difficulty. I'm sure the UK government can cope.

Agree completely.
    We are witnessing the painful but necessary rebirth of parliament as the main force in this country. The FTPA hands the whip hand to parliament.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

Endillion said:

I doubt that BJ/Cummings are thinking that far ahead at this point. they just need to get Brexit over the line and get an election before the whatnot hits the doo-dah
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    spudgfsh said:

Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

Endillion said:

I doubt that BJ/Cummings are thinking
    FTFY
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks/Mr. W, if the Government is unable to effectively govern the FTPA means it cannot resolve this by holding an election unless its political opponents consent. As we see right now, there are circumstances in which the opposition parties prefer politics to enter a becalmed state, with constant political bickering and no decisions being made.

I just shifts the power of political self-interest to the opposition, with a side dish of ineffectual government.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,519

spudgfsh said:

Endillion said:

The SNP are on a high poll, and in their optimal position to gain SLAB and SCon seats at present. No Deal and a SCON wipeout is ideal for Sindyref3.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:
    The only Brexit do-able before 31st is No Deal or the WA, and even the latter requires a short extension for legislation.

I think No Deal is good betting value. No one is in control of events and that is the default.
  • Options

Mr. Meeks/Mr. W, if the Government is unable to effectively govern the FTPA means it cannot resolve this by holding an election unless its political opponents consent. As we see right now, there are circumstances in which the opposition parties prefer politics to enter a becalmed state, with constant political bickering and no decisions being made.

I just shifts the power of political self-interest to the opposition, with a side dish of ineffectual government.

Yep leaves us stuck with zombie governments and zombie parliaments. Like being in a burning building with no exits as someone once said.

I think the next majority government will get rid of it.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933

If the election is Brexit on steroids I can see the North and Midlands being indicative of a Tory landslide but results elsewhere being very hung leading to a small Tory majority of 30 to 40 or so
    Reminds me of those halcyon days on PB in 2017 when everyone was predicting Con majorities of 150 seats or more... And we all know how that worked out.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Reminds me of those halcyon days on PB in 2017 when everyone was predicting Con majorities of 150 seats or more... And we all know how that worked out.
    Difference is unlike under Theresa May we have a Con leadership that actually know how to win public votes. ;)

I've little doubt Boris will be returning with a majoirty in a general election... The only snag is actually having an election in the first place. :D
  • Options

The problem with the FPTA is when a minority government wants to pretend it has a majority
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Which surely is the joy and fun of it. If I 'knew', I'd be very rich indeed
  • Options
    Councils manage this all the time, possibly because they don’t have the option of calling an election?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The problem with the FPTA is when a minority government wants to pretend it has a majority
    Or when the majority opposition don’t want to vote no confidence in the government.
  • Options
    There's been a lot of talk about the SNP these last few days, so this is an opportune moment to consider a potential turn of events.

Say the Conservative & Unionist drop a "give us a majority and we leave without a deal, no referendum" manifesto, and the Liberal Demcrats drop a "give us a majority and we revoke, no referendum" manifesto.
    If the SNP put "give us a majority in Scotland and we negotiate independence, no referendum" in their manifesto, how do the Conservative & Unionists and the Liberal Democrats counter it?
    There is a real chance that the equivocation and doublespeak needed to say "our mandate will count but yours won't" will seriously weaken Tory and Lib Dem messaging.
    I could see both the SNP and Labour doing quite well out of such a situation. Don't know whether it's a card the SNP are considering pulling out of their sleeve, but given the negative noises about an indyref2 (despite a Holyrood mandate), it could be seen as a necessary escalation on their part.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    edited September 2019
    Interesting article. I'm not convinced that a system where it is both easier and more powerful not to be in charge is going to encourage the brightest and best.

The advice Mr Meeks gives is
    (a) Construct a stable majority. I think at the moment that is like advising someone to build a firm and reliable escalator to the moon. Not only Boris can't do it. No-one can.
    (b) Don't try to do too much. Good advice generally, but not at this moment in which we have no choice but to remain momentously or leave momentously. Not doing too much is not an option.
    (c) Let someone else do the hard work. Slightly agree; I wonder if Boris's best move would be to engineer a moment when he should resign and leave HM the Queen's advisers to work out what to do next.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

I am from there and it was Tory until 1964 when Paul Williams lost if to Gordon Bagier. I agree it is unlikely to fall at the next election although the majority may be reduced somewhat.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Yep leaves us stuck with zombie governments and zombie parliaments. Like being in a burning building with no exits as someone once said.

Completely false. The FTPA provides for such a situation.

The PM resigns and the 14 days begins. No resolution = general election. Sorted.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Exactly. If it sought to recognise the numerical balance of Parliament and tailored its policies accordingly to build a majority, it would disappoint the purists but it would get some stuff done.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Ultimately a minority government can resign if the opposition are unwilling to support an election. The outgoing party then VoNC the proposed successor resulting in a GE.

It is messy and frankly ludicrous though.

I can see the next majority government (blue or red) binning it off.
  • Options
    Ubarrow said:

Councils manage this all the time, possibly because they don’t have the option of calling an election?

Emptying the bins and organising Brexit are different sorts of activity and not easy to compare.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

kyf_100 said:

Difference is unlike under Theresa May we have a Con leadership that actually know how to win public votes. ;)

I've little doubt Boris will be returning with a majoirty in a general election... The only snag is actually having an election in the first place. :D
    Theresa May was thought to 'know how to win public votes' before the 2017 election - and isn't Boris renowned for underperforming his polling figures?
    I think we'll only 'know' afterwards.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Agreed. RIP FTPA (2011-2020) ? :D
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Ubarrow said:

Emptying the bins and organising Brexit are different sorts of activity and not easy to compare.
    Less rubbish involved in emptying bins.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

kyf_100 said:

Theresa May was thought to 'know how to win public votes' before the 2017 election
    Was she?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Ubarrow said:

Where there's muck there's Boris.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Exactly. If it sought to recognise the numerical balance of Parliament and tailored its policies accordingly to build a majority, it would disappoint the purists but it would get some stuff done.
    Have we not been through a few years of deciding there is no majority in parliament for any possible affirmative action? Just the moment when a FTPA needs at allow for an election.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

SunnyJim said:

It's likely to be reformed but parliament, especially the lords ironically, will not allow power which parliament has to be taken back into royal perogative.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Chris said:

Endillion said:

Yes. It's unconscionable that we have a PM who manifestly does not command a majority and whose main policy is actively opposed by a clear majority of MPs, but who is being maintained in office (somewhat against his own will) by opposition MPs for tactical purposes.
  • Options
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

The PM resigns and the 14 days begins. No resolution = general election. Sorted.
    The FTPA mentions nothing about the scenario when the PM resigns.
  • Options
    Mr. W, can that not lead to a PM who overtly lacks the confidence of the Commons? (Specifically, the chap or lady who tries to become PM with confidence of the House and cannot).
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Have we not been through a few years of deciding there is no majority in parliament for any possible affirmative action? Just the moment when a FTPA needs at allow for an election.

No.

Theresa May sought to impose her deal on Parliament. It resisted. Boris Johnson has sought to impose no deal on Parliament. It is resisting.

Other options have barely been explored yet.

If a majority of the House of Commons wants an early election, it will happen. If it does not, or not yet, then the MPs who do not will need to make the compromises necessary to move forward. That now looks set to happen.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Chris said:

Endillion said:

Yes. It's unconscionable that we have a PM who manifestly does not command a majority and whose main policy is actively opposed by a clear majority of MPs, but who is being maintained in office (somewhat against his own will) by opposition MPs for tactical purposes.
    He chose to take office. He could always resign.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    spudgfsh said:

GIN1138 said:

SunnyJim said:

It's likely to be reformed but parliament, especially the lords ironically, will not allow power which parliament has to be taken back into royal perogative.
    If there's a Con (or Lab) government with a majority of 50+ I really can't see FTPA surviving for long whatever HoL thinks about it.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

Endillion said:

it does rely on BJ not making his own MPs vote for the no-confidence motion though
    Yes, but as Brexit miscalculations go would it make the top ten?
  • Options
    The Tory front bench may have the job titles, salaries and nice cars, but it is rag-tag alliance of everyone opposed to Bozo that is calling the shots, winning every vote and giving the PM plenty of opportunities to demonstrate that he is unfit for office. Why forshorten this golden opportunity?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Noo said:

There's been a lot of talk about the SNP these last few days, so this is an opportune moment to consider a potential turn of events.

Say the Conservative & Unionist drop a "give us a majority and we leave without a deal, no referendum" manifesto, and the Liberal Demcrats drop a "give us a majority and we revoke, no referendum" manifesto.
    If the SNP put "give us a majority in Scotland and we negotiate independence, no referendum" in their manifesto, how do the Conservative & Unionists and the Liberal Democrats counter it?
    There is a real chance that the equivocation and doublespeak needed to say "our mandate will count but yours won't" will seriously weaken Tory and Lib Dem messaging.
    I could see both the SNP and Labour doing quite well out of such a situation. Don't know whether it's a card the SNP are considering pulling out of their sleeve, but given the negative noises about an indyref2 (despite a Holyrood mandate), it could be seen as a necessary escalation on their part.

I don't know if there has ever been polling but I reckon there would be strong support in England for Scottish independence.

Personally I would love to see the back of them.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

The FTPA mentions nothing about the scenario when the PM resigns.
    Apologies. I was too brief. Loses VONC, PM resigns ........
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,448
    The Sunday Times reports that internal Labour polling is predicting 100 seat losses. It says Labour has lost a third of its 2017 vote to the LDs and another 10% to the Brexit Party.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Re the FTPA, there is a clause within it which states a commission of mostly MPs must review it between June and Nov 2020 and recommend actions going forward.
    The Lords had tried to amend it to need to be reviewed every parliament and this was the compromise
  • Options

Endillion said:

Chris said:

Endillion said:

Or call a vote of confidence
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

spudgfsh said:

GIN1138 said:

SunnyJim said:

If there's a Con (or Lab) government with a majority of 50+ I really can't see FTPA surviving for long whatever HoL thinks about it.
    It's about where the power is applied. I can't see Parliament giving the power back to the PM but I can see the 66% rule being changed to a simple majority. I can also see more rules on when the election should be being put in.

something along the lines of

“That there shall be an early parliamentary general election on date XXXX.”
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

No.

Theresa May sought to impose her deal on Parliament. It resisted. Boris Johnson has sought to impose no deal on Parliament. It is resisting.

If a majority of the House of Commons wants an early election, it will happen. If it does not, or not yet, then the MPs who do not will need to make the compromises necessary to move forward. That now looks set to happen.
    Parliament has had abundant time to express a majority view about what it wants and intends (not what it does not). It hasn't.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Andy_JS said:

The Sunday Times reports that internal Labour polling is predicting 100 seat losses. It says Labour has lost a third of its 2017 vote to the LDs and another 10% to the Brexit Party.

Sunderland central is number 108 on defence. Imagine that. I wonder where I got the idea for my bellweather from ;)
  • Options

Mr. W, can that not lead to a PM who overtly lacks the confidence of the Commons? (Specifically, the chap or lady who tries to become PM with confidence of the House and cannot).

Indeed. But is effectively resolved after the 14 days.

The essential must be that a PM may not call a general election solely on their own behalf.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The vote percentages are consistent with polling, so no surprises.
    I'd be interested to know what the seat model looks like, though. That's slightly more questionable.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

I would have to disagree with you here.

If a majority government wants to scrap the FTPA then it will happen.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

No.

Parliament has had abundant time to express a majority view about what it wants and intends (not what it does not). It hasn't.

How much Parliamentary time has been allotted to consideration of options other than those propounded by the successive governments?
  • Options

Endillion said:

Chris said:

Endillion said:

And at some moment quite soon this may be best both for him and for the UK.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

That would take them to their lowest share of seats since 1931?
  • Options

The Tory front bench may have the job titles, salaries and nice cars, but it is rag-tag alliance of everyone opposed to Bozo that is calling the shots, winning every vote and giving the PM plenty of opportunities to demonstrate that he is unfit for office. Why forshorten this golden opportunity?

It is playing well with the public that's for sure, as the polling is indicating.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

spudgfsh said:

Not everything a majority government tries to do gets past the Lords.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Such is life when you poll low 20s with the most unpopular leader in recorded history
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Sunderland central is number 108 on defence. Imagine that. I wonder where I got the idea for my bellweather from ;)
    'Internal polling' is a unicorn expression. It suggests magical and secret sources of information. There are no such sources not available to any published pollster. And there are no unicorns.
  • Options
    Noo said:

SunnyJim said:

spudgfsh said:

If it's in the manifesto it will, the Lords can and will be bypassed
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

'Internal polling' is a unicorn expression. It suggests magical and secret sources of information. There are no such sources not available to any published pollster. And there are no unicorns.
    Very true.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933

kyf_100 said:

Which surely is the joy and fun of it. If I 'knew', I'd be very rich indeed
    Indeed!

I've placed a few small bets on a Con majority but that's more because I think the Lib / Lab vote will split roughly down the middle while the Con / Brex axis will fall more heavily to the Cons with BXP getting somewhere around UKIP's 2015 level of support or less, allowing the Cons to come through the middle.

But this is more luck of the circumstances than a belief in Boris being a brilliant campaigner. In fact he looks increasingly like a gaffe prone liability. I think "slim majority" is the absolute best the Tories can hope for right now. That's the Tories ceiling, I don't know where the floor is if, say, a significant number of Con voters go Lib Dem.
  • Options

Noo said:

SunnyJim said:

spudgfsh said:

If it's in the manifesto it will, the Lords can and will be bypassed
    You're quite right about that, but it's far from clear that it would be a manifesto promise. If it is, it goes through though, totally agree.
  • Options
    Noo said:

SunnyJim said:

spudgfsh said:

Especially if it is seen as the PM giving himself more power
  • Options
    Actually even if not In the manifesto the best the Lords can do is delay for one session, so a majority government can and will repeal FTPA if they want
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Sometimes "internal polling" can target/reach parts of the electorate that standard polling struggles with.

A good example was how Vote Leave's internal polling was able to reach "Never Voter's" and had a good idea what they were going to do in the referendum and so knew the refernedum was a lot closer than standard polling suggested.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

No, it is simply the same as an internal investigation. It might be outsourced, but it does not require the organisation that commissioned it to publish the results. hence it is for "internal consumption" and analysis

Very true.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Very true.
    No, it is simply the same as an internal investigation. It might be outsourced, but it does not require the organisation that commissioned it to publish the results. hence it is for "internal consumption" and analysis
  • Options

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

No.

How much Parliamentary time has been allotted to consideration of options other than those propounded by the successive governments?
    Pass. Indicative votes would be a starting point.

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    spudgfsh said:

GIN1138 said:

SunnyJim said:

Well, more precisely, there is no legal mechanism to re-create a royal prerogative that has been extinguished by statute. However, Parliament could easily legislate a power to be exercised by the Crown making an Order-in-Council on the advice of her ministers which would be effectively indistinguishable from the former prerogative power.

Personally I support the overall concept of the FPTA. I think it is seriously flawed in that it makes no provision for loss of supply or failure to pass a Queen’s speech, which convention formerly treated as equivalent to a VONC. I think it would also be reasonable for a PM to be empowered to designate any given Commons vote as constituting a matter of confidence within the terms of the FPTA. Possibly also it should be enacted that losing any such form of VONC requires the ministry to resign, but that the Crown on advice has the discretion to ask the outgoing PM to act as a caretaker if there seems to be no prospect of an alternative ministry being formed within the two-week period.
  • Options
    My main objection to the FTPA is that we have a situation where the Government has lost seven straight votes in Parliament, yet it has not formally lost the confidence of the House as set out in the FTPA. However, by any reasonable measure it does not possess the confidence of the House. This could be even more serious if, for example, a budget is not passed.

A couple of weeks ago someone - I forget who unfortunately - suggested amending the FTPA so that a government could designate other votes as confidence votes. This then forces the issue of constructing another government when one has lost the confidence of the House.

It is also worth remembering that the FTPA would not be causing us so many issues if the Opposition had a leader who was not so repellent. An Opposition leader who was able to attract defections from the government party (or even not lose so many of his own MPs) would be much more able to put a zombie government out of its misery in this sort of situation.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    If you want a giggle google and watch Michael Spicer Boris UN speech it’s even funnier if you hadnt seen much of the speech
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Such is life when you poll low 20s with the most unpopular leader in recorded history
    And could be the only LoTO in history who could make BoZo look marginally less unappealing.
  • Options

Actually even if not In the manifesto the best the Lords can do is delay for one session, so a majority government can and will repeal FTPA if they want

But there's always a balance of how much time and political capital they're willing to expend on it. So there's a big difference between something the government kinda wants and something they REALLY want. If it doesn't make it into the manifesto, chances are their attention is elsewhere.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

No.

My understand would be that the majority view parliament has expressed is that they want parliament to be involved in defining what Brexit is, rather than leaving it to the executive. They have said that loudly over the last 12 months, is it their fault two executives have not listened?

To an extent, but the bigger fault is with the executives.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

No.

Pass. Indicative votes would be a starting point.

Oh god! Not more "indicative votes" :D
This discussion has been closed.