Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reports of a heart scare for Bernie Sanders help Warren move t

Comments

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087
    nico67 said:

Omg that’s so funny . The Warren story. So the GOP will pronounce their moral shock at her bedding a bodybuilder.

Depends on the lurid details. If there is an "eeeeuuuwwwwww....." element....
  • So my strategy of laying the old guys in this market is going well?

Didn’t want to win like this though.
  • ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Foxy said:
    Yawn. Europeans always right, and Brits always wrong. Yeah, we get it.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,052

A WA with a NI-only backstop that lasts 4 years but is renewable every 4 years [and will almost certainly be renewed] is probably better for them than a 5 years then it expires one.

OK. We can toss that in the pot.

But you get my drift.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888

So my strategy of laying the old guys in this market is going well?

Depends what price you've laid them at :)

You should add Andrew Yang and Hillary Clinton to your lays if you haven't already done so.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,478

Foxy said:
    The point is that an agreement only on one side is no agreement at all.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

Omg that’s so funny . The Warren story. So the GOP will pronounce their moral shock at her bedding a bodybuilder.

You mean more eeeuwww than Trumps apparent goings on in Russia !

The campaign slogan for Warren should be . If can bang a bodybuilder I certainly have the stamina that’s needed for President !
  • isamisam Posts: 40,877

Warren's laying the young guys!
    Foxy said:

A privet equity fund? aka as a hedge fund? :)
    Biden is gone. Not a bad thing.
    Certainly not for my book!

I look forward to Warren Trump debates. She knows how to wind him up, and his fuse is shorter now.
    Is there actually an SI unit small enough to measure Trump's fuse?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,931
    edited October 2019
    She was an old university friend of William Hague' s with Nicola Horlick in Chelsea and Fulham and Chuka Umunna in Cities of London and Westminster (both in the top 20 local authorities with the highest Remain voted in the EU referendum and win by the LDs in the European Parliament elections) it seems the LDs are saving their star new candidates for central London, Remain central
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,960
    Alarming report from France on multiple police officers killed by a knifeman:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/49921145

I happened to see, and this is referenced in the link, that yesterday there was some sort of action (protest etc) at the high number of police suicides this year. I think the number I heard was 50.
    HYUFD said:
    This might be the time to tell les Rosbifs to "fuck off out of Europe....no more extensions."

nico67 said:

Could be a real "Pocahontas" moment. That'd be hilarious.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,931

Alarming report from France on multiple police officers killed by a knifeman:

I happened to see, and this is referenced in the link, that yesterday there was some sort of action (protest etc) at the high number of police suicides this year. I think the number I heard was 50.

He has now been shot dead, seems he was working inside the police HQ
    HYUFD said:

She was an old university friend of William Hague' s with Nicola Horlick in Chelsea and Fulham and Chuka Umunna in Cities of London and Westminster (both in the 20 local authorities with the highest Remain voted in the EU referendum and win by the LDs in the European Parliament elections) it seems the LDs are saving their star new candidates for central London, Remain central
    The Good Lady Wifi met her when Horlick was trying to set up a film fund.

We'll leave it there.
    Pulpstar said:

nico67 said:

Are you suggesting she buried the hatchet?
  • 148grss148grss Posts: 3,666

Foxy said:
    If the shoe were on the other foot, like say Trump's idiocy, do you think it's just a yawn fest? I really don't think everyone in the world is seeing a reality where Brexit Britain is going great and they just want to poo poo it. They see reality and they report the reality. We're the ones with a motive for self delusion.
    Amusing as the Warren story is, my instinct is it's a bit of fake news tbh.
    Pulpstar said:

nico67 said:

"She likes to dress up in a Sioux war bonnet....."
    edited October 2019
    Pulpstar said:

I cant imagine ever fancying a woman 40 years older than me. Do the elder partners in such relationships ever really believe inside that the physical attraction is reciprocal?

I suppose the elder person could be a 9/10 and the younger a 4/10 and that might level things up
    Pulpstar said:

You don't say!

There's me thinking she was going for the Sex in the City vote...
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,594
    Looks like Warren will have the dog lovers vote sewn up if she gets the nomination against Trump.

Seriously, a not to be underestimated demographic, concentrated particularly amongst not so young women.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/10/01/elizabeth-warren-golden-retriever-dog-bailey-mh-orig.cnn
  • It does look like Trump had genuine dirt on Biden and could have just taken out his strongest polling opponent. But he handled it so appallingly he created his version of the Nixon tapes as well.
    Privet?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,128
    Pulpstar said:

Yep. Sounds like total crap.
  • Pulpstar said:

Ya think?!
    148grss said:

Foxy said:
    If the shoe were on the other foot, like say Trump's idiocy, do you think it's just a yawn fest? I really don't think everyone in the world is seeing a reality where Brexit Britain is going great and they just want to poo poo it. They see reality and they report the reality. We're the ones with a motive for self delusion.
    Well that;'s your opinion and you're perfectly entitled to hold it. Doesn't make it objectively correct. Everyone's reality, and what they deem to be reality or the reality of a situation is different.

That's the same for you, for me, everyone on PB and journalists who make a living on promoting their own reality.

• eggegg Posts: 1,749
    isam said:

Warren's laying the young guys!
    Should we be laying Warren?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,537

It does look like Trump had genuine dirt on Biden and could have just taken out his strongest polling opponent. But he handled it so appallingly he created his version of the Nixon tapes as well.
    Privet?
    Must be a hedge fund!

Looks like Warren will have the dog lovers vote sewn up if she gets the nomination against Trump.

Seriously, a not to be underestimated demographic, concentrated particularly amongst not so young women.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/10/01/elizabeth-warren-golden-retriever-dog-bailey-mh-orig.cnn

Genius idea to get Bailey out on the trail.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,537
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,776
    edited October 2019
    "A lot of work still needs to be done" - Sounds like EU speak for there's a deal to be done here. ;)

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1179517577963290624?s=20
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,291
    We won't know Varadkar's true opinion till Juncker has given it to him.
    HYUFD said:
    Will you post the outcome if the party overwhelmingly backs them to remain Jim?

No I didn’t think you would.

Two former Tory Chancellors say hi to you, by the way.
    edited October 2019
    Apologies for the aftertiming but on Warren,

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/elizabeth-warren-black-voters-2020-presidential-campaign-dna-test-boston-democrats-a8704541.html

Back end of last year/start of this one was the time to back her when her price was big and the news surrounding her was poor.

Just checking Betfair, back end of April 20-1 for the nomination.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,960
    Mr. Pulpstar, I was late to the party, but in August Warren could still be backed at around 8.5, which covered a potential red spot for me.
    edited October 2019

egg said:

Still just proposals, still in negotiation and we can’t call it a deal as yet. It’s still to be thoroughly tested.

Is the main change to the WA to be DUP compromises on border in Irish Sea in exchange for power In stormant to come out an arrangement it will never vote to do?

Does the border in the Irish Sea cover enough goods to satisfy EU? And the fact the stormant veto makes it time influenced not permanent?

Whatelse changes from May’s WA for Spartans to come onside and brexit party to be sidelined?

Will remain Tories come on board now so close to things moving in their favour and UK remaining? Ditto for anyone set on clean break brexit now have to have MayBoris brexit when they so close to winning with no deal.

Labour MPs may sound supportive this far out, but when it comes to ending their political career in the Labour Party by following Boris through the Lobby to deliver a Tory brexit, will there really be that many?

We should view it not as a deal but questions questions yea more questions

If Boris gets a deal, the smart thing for Corbyn is to whip an abstention.

Keeps his Party together. Gives him a line to use in the election.

"This is a Tory Brexit. Everything that goes wrong in our country after we have left the EU lies at the door of the Tories. Every lost job, every lost opportunity, every dashed dream - blame the Tories..."
    I’m confident Labour will not have war gamed Boris getting a deal, such a thing was thought impossible, so will be caught completely with their pants down.

But neither is there a deal yet. There’s too much hubris because there’s still questions questions yea more questions around the viability of this proposal
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Paris police attack: 'Four killed' by knife-wielding man"

• BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    GIN1138 said:

"A lot of work still needs to be done" - Sounds like EU speak for there's a deal to be done here. ;)

Wow, that's about as positive as you'll get from Barnier. Definitely a deal there to be done.
  • It does look like Trump had genuine dirt on Biden and could have just taken out his strongest polling opponent. But he handled it so appallingly he created his version of the Nixon tapes as well.
    Privet?
    Must be a hedge fund!
    That's very funny. No need to get your coat.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    DougSeal said:

No. I think they know this isn’t a flier. You suggested on the last thread that the EU would bung the Irish a bit of cash and all would be well and they would accept. Again, this is not just about economics. The customs/border checks issue means as much over there as “sovereignty” does to you - day to day you might not notice changes in either but they rankle all the same.

No doubt. But would they prefer no-deal? That means a proper hard border, and probably for an extended period.

We're reaching the end of the road soon - maybe Johnson gets turfed out and it's not a situation we'll face, maybe a referendum and it all gets overturned. But … maybe not.

Seems to me an awful lot of people are willing to gamble.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,693
    GIN1138 said:

Perhaps, but that isn't going to be THIS October.
    Johnson has said do or die by 31st October. Did he ever specify which year? Because I can see the EU saying 'The beginnings of a deal here... let's talk formally, after granting you a year long extension."

And then Johnson is finished........
    In regards to the header: the big thing is impeachment. Lots of people are talking about how this effects Trump and will Biden get slimed in the process, but the other thing to consider is how this eats into Biden's USP. If this becomes a body hit for Trump, with the Senate not removing him but his favourability slipping down to the mid to high 30s rather than the low to mid 40s, Biden is no longer the "only person" who can beat Trump. African American voters, noticeably more conservative in their primary choices because they understand more so than white liberals the need to try and placate white conservatives (as they are more a subject of their ire), may then feel more able to go with other candidates.

Many people also ignore that delegates are given out proportionally by state to any candidate that gets above 15% of the vote. In caucus states they do this by doing the first round, as it were, and then allowing those above 15% to convince all those who didn't get past the threshold to support their candidate instead, and in other states they do this by proportionally giving delegates above the threshold. So we could be in a position where Biden gets 40% of all delegates, but Sanders and Warren get 60% between them and one of them drops out and endorses the other (I think Sanders is more likely to drop out in favour of Warren as she is the more acceptable candidate to Democratic politicians) and they get 55-60% of delegates to Biden's 40-45%.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,089

It is that misconception that means Brexit is likely to fail.
  • JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited October 2019
    Sorry if this is out of date, I'm a bit behind with my reading of The Weeks-

One Trump is quite enough, thank you - Brian Boyle

(Via The Week via Los Angeles Times)

If US politics were not in enough of a mess already we now seem to have a liberal version of Donald Trump on our hands. One of the breakouts starts of the recent second round of Democrat primary debates - judging by the volume of Google searches and chatter on Twitter - was the celebrity self-help guru Marianne Williamson. She proved herself to be, like the president, a gifted communicator who is good at tapping into the ill-defined existential fears of her group, and "presents herself and her own spiritual gut instinct as the sole path to salvation". She drew "thunderous applause" at one point, for instance, when she lamented that "wonkiness" (i.e. political savvy) of Democrat leaders was insufficient to deal with the "dark psychic force of the collectivised hatred that this president is brining up in this country". Her Success in the debate is worrying. This is a woman, after all, with "a history of anti-science, anti-vaccination rhetoric". She believes Aids and cancer are the "physical manifestation of a psychic scream". Fear not, many might say: she's an entertaining celebrity kook with zero chance of winning the nomination. Well, they said the same of Trump once, and look how that turned out.
  • PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Anecdotal re St Albans - my mother who lives there went for lunch yesterday with a group of 7 other women. All retirees, remainers, broadly conservative types. Seems my mother was the only one who was aware that Anne Main had always supported Brexit. Others were taken aback. Which on the one hand points to an opportunity for Daisy Cooper, but on the other is a reminder that we on here are a lot more familiar with minutiae than the general population. Would suggest Daisy gets a tight message together on the private schools though, as the prospect of a Corbyn government closing the likes of STAHS, the Abbey school, Habs and Columba's seems to have aggravated a number of local grandparents.
    edited October 2019
    This is the Swedish PM's "reality":

"Swedish PM Stefan Löfven says it is possible to get a deal agreed between the UK and EU by the end of October deadline.

He told the press conference, "It is possible of course, or we wouldn't work on it".

He adds: "The EU is right now making the analysis, and there are some question marks raised by President Juncker and [Mr Varadkar].

"We can see the same kind of question marks but this is possible. Let's really make make an effort."

Mr Löfven also said any extension to the Brexit deadline "depends on the reason".

He adds: "What are we waiting for? If an extension [is requested] we will look at the reason."

• rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    AndyJS said:

"Paris police attack: 'Four killed' by knife-wielding man"

Guardian reporting it was a staff member (shot by police) possibly with a grudge. Apparently he used a ceramic knife which prolly got through security.
  • egg said:

HYUFD said:
    Will you post the outcome if the party overwhelmingly backs them to remain Jim?

No I didn’t think you would.

Two former Tory Chancellors say hi to you, by the way.
    Two former Tory Chancellors were expelled for voting against a three-line-whip were they'd been told that'd be the punishment in advance of the vote.

Not because of racism.
    Andrew said:

DougSeal said:

No. I think they know this isn’t a flier. You suggested on the last thread that the EU would bung the Irish a bit of cash and all would be well and they would accept. Again, this is not just about economics. The customs/border checks issue means as much over there as “sovereignty” does to you - day to day you might not notice changes in either but they rankle all the same.

No doubt. But would they prefer no-deal? That means a proper hard border, and probably for an extended period.

We're reaching the end of the road soon - maybe Johnson gets turfed out and it's not a situation we'll face, maybe a referendum and it all gets overturned. But … maybe not.

Seems to me an awful lot of people are willing to gamble.
    I think the calculation is that they will not sacrifice long term strategy because of what they see as short term pain. Sound familiar?
    Pulpstar said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/elizabeth-warren-black-voters-2020-presidential-campaign-dna-test-boston-democrats-a8704541.html

Back end of last year/start of this one was the time to back her when her price was big and the news surrounding her was poor.

That's the odds I got on at.

Both sanders and Biden were too old and Harris too dull. Warren was the obvious choice, though I did rather like Klobuchar too.

I can see Mayor Pete as VP to balance the ticket.
  • We won't know Varadkar's true opinion till Juncker has given it to him.
    Offensive shitty post that typifies the nationalistic, patronising, and borderline racism of the average leave supporter.

Offensive shitty post that typifies the nationalistic, patronising, and borderline racism of the average leave supporter.
    +1

148grss said:

Foxy said:
    Well that;'s your opinion and you're perfectly entitled to hold it. Doesn't make it objectively correct. Everyone's reality, and what they deem to be reality or the reality of a situation is different.

That's the same for you, for me, everyone on PB and journalists who make a living on promoting their own reality.

See, this is where this post modern bullshit turns up. Like, people on the right love calling the left snowflakes, and saying facts don't care about your feelings, but then there is an entire culture of saying "well, that's just your opinion" on things which are pretty easy to demonstrate.

Is Britain in a political crisis over Brexit? Yes.
    Does that suggest Brexit is going well? No.
    Is the PM putting forward plans that meet the criteria agreed by the previous PM and the EU? No
    Do experts suggest that shit will hit the fan big time in event of No Deal? Yes.
    Do the answers to the above make the outcomes 100% certain? No, but nothing is, we have to base all our views on the available evidence.

Is the Sun going to rise tomorrow? Yes. "Well, that's just your opinion, man, because what if it explodes due to a thing it is impossible for humans to detect" is no way to respond.

We cannot all live in our own pocket reality, that is the exact sort of thing that leads to civil wars and revolutions.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,052
    isam said:

I cant imagine ever fancying a woman 40 years older than me.

Not even when you were 10?
    Or it reflects the opinion of just one Putin lover poster here.

Categorising half the country based on one political view is patronising and small minded.
    The US Dem market (Predictit) has the following prices (It's barely playable with all of its awful extra charges mind)

Warren 1.92
    Biden 4.54
    Yang 8.33
    Sanders 12.5
    Buttigieg 12.5
    Clinton 16.7
    Harris 25.0
    Gabbard 25.0
    Booker 50.0
    Klobuchar 50.0
    O 'Rourke 50.0
    Bloomberg 50.0
    Steyer 50.0
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2019
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

What child fancies a middle aged woman old enough to be their grandmother?

Teenagers might.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2019
    First. As in the first person who was ramping Warren on here.

"Swedish PM Stefan Löfven says it is possible to get a deal agreed between the UK and EU by the end of October deadline.

He told the press conference, "It is possible of course, or we wouldn't work on it".

He adds: "The EU is right now making the analysis, and there are some question marks raised by President Juncker and [Mr Varadkar].

"We can see the same kind of question marks but this is possible. Let's really make make an effort."

Mr Löfven also said any extension to the Brexit deadline "depends on the reason".

He adds: "What are we waiting for? If an extension [is requested] we will look at the reason."

Of course it is possible to make "a deal" before October, because, as the Swedish PM makes it pretty clear, he's just saying that the entire point of this exercise is to get a deal. He is not saying what deal can pass before October.

If parliament passed the May before October, the EU would say that's fine. Did the Swedish PM say it would be possible to pass Johnson's suggestions before October? No.
  • surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Pulpstar said:

The US Dem market (Predictit) has the following prices (It's barely playable with all of its awful extra charges mind)

Warren 1.92
    Biden 4.54
    Yang 8.33
    Sanders 12.5
    Buttigieg 12.5
    Clinton 16.7
    Harris 25.0
    Gabbard 25.0
    Booker 50.0
    Klobuchar 50.0
    O 'Rourke 50.0
    Bloomberg 50.0
    Steyer 50.0

Booker and O'Rourke too long in my opinion particularly with the storms surrounding the top 3. Yang ???
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,898
    Have we moved from MILF to GILF?
    Well unfortuantely the backstop is unacceptable to Parliament so a "sixth way" needs to be found. :)
    As a Remainer myself, I do think BOTH sides need to dial back this language.

In my experience, the "average leave supporter" is a perfectly pleasant person who feels leaving the EU will make Britain more able to act independently via institutions which are more accountable to the public without appreciable negative economic impact.

I disagree with that position on the basis I believe we'll lose influence within Europe, and be more susceptible to global forces beyond our control. I also think we would be better seeking to reform domestic and EU institutions to make them more accountable (both need a lot of work) and that the economic consequences will be substantial. But it's an honest disagreement between decent people - the "average leave supporter" is very much like me but with a different view.

Finally, I anyway very much doubt that online comments by those motivated to make them are likely to be representative of the "average leave voter" or indeed "average remain voter".
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Both sanders and Biden were too old and Harris too dull. Warren was the obvious choice, though I did rather like Klobuchar too.

Can the Mayor carry Indiana ? I doubt it. O'Rourke has to be the VP candidate to make sure Texas is taken seriously.

Very encouraging.
  • None of them are happening. Including the backstop.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    Quite clear Leo is moving towards a compromise. As for the Commons, it’s ready to vote overwhelmingly to Brexit.

Kay Burley seems heart broken. As good a signal as any to buy cable.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,351
    Better (from Irish point of view?) than united Ireland and better than UK staying in EU?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,977
    GIN1138 said:

Well unfortuantely the backstop is unacceptable to Parliament so a "sixth way" needs to be found. :)
    England could leave the UK?
    Anyone know a good AV calculator? I gave my office the option to rank their Christmas Lunch choices, so want to find the winner through AV.
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Long time ago but I don’t think so.

Raquel Welch would have been 44 when I was 10. I remember thinking she was ok 😊
  • Selebian said:

Better (from Irish point of view?) than united Ireland and better than UK staying in EU?
    Optimum option for everyone is, of course, Ireland rejoining the UK.
    moonshine said:

Quite clear Leo is moving towards a compromise. As for the Commons, it’s ready to vote overwhelmingly to Brexit.

Selebian said:

Despite the preconceptions of many on here he is taking into account the democratically expressed wishes of his neighbours. His own country’s history is full of attempts to keep a nation in a union against its will. If the U.K. were to change its mind then that’s a different matter.

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Can the Mayor carry Indiana ? I doubt it. O'Rourke has to be the VP candidate to make sure Texas is taken seriously.
    I think Mayor Pete is articulate but inexperienced at National politics.

He balances the ticket by being reassuringly centrist, ex military and from the Midwest. I think this matters more than geography. Trump did carry the flyover states without having roots there.
  • 148grss said:

Anyone know a good AV calculator? I gave my office the option to rank their Christmas Lunch choices, so want to find the winner through AV.

Calculator? The votes need to be counted
    Pulpstar said:

I wouldn't have believed she had it in her. Now, WOW ? Go girl, go !
    moonshine said:

Which of Varadkar’s six options represents a compromise?

148grss said:

Is there not a site that will do that for me if I just put in people's votes, calculate threshold, etc etc
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Stephanie Powers was 42. Maybe around 33 years is acceptable!
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

She was 50 when I was 10 and I was thinking the same thing.
  • DougSeal said:

moonshine said:

It is what is unspoken that represents a compromise.
  • 148grss said:

148grss said:

Is there not a site that will do that for me if I just put in people's votes, calculate threshold, etc etc
    Okay, valid query I guess - I doubt it.

DougSeal said:

moonshine said:

Huh?

148grss said:

148grss said:

Okay, valid query I guess - I doubt it.
    I have it all on an excel sheet, and just want something quick to sort it out.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    148grss said:

Here’s one I found via google.

https://petertheone.github.io/IRV/

Pulpstar said:

Warren 1.92
    Biden 4.54
    Yang 8.33
    Sanders 12.5
    Buttigieg 12.5
    Clinton 16.7
    Harris 25.0
    Gabbard 25.0
    Booker 50.0
    Klobuchar 50.0
    O 'Rourke 50.0
    Bloomberg 50.0
    Steyer 50.0

Booker and O'Rourke too long in my opinion particularly with the storms surrounding the top 3. Yang ???
    Predictit overround is ~ 20%, in addition

Any time you sell a shares for a higher price than you paid, we charge a fee of 10 percent of your profit. There is no fee if you sell your shares at the same price that you paid or at a lower price.
    There is no charge to open a PredictIt account or to deposit funds.
    PredictIt charges a 5 percent fee to process withdrawals.

So if were to deposit $900 buy 1000 Yang "No" at 90 c then sell them for 100c ($100 profit) you'd pay 10% (Profit of $90)

Then to withdraw your $990 you'd pay another $49.50 leaving a profit of $40.50 for $900 stake, which equates to a price of 22.2.

The maths for Clinton "No" sales works out at a 'true' lay price of 218.0 after fees.

The rake for Predictit is absolubtely off the charts.
    edited October 2019

See, this is where this post modern bullshit turns up. Like, people on the right love calling the left snowflakes, and saying facts don't care about your feelings, but then there is an entire culture of saying "well, that's just your opinion" on things which are pretty easy to demonstrate.

Is Britain in a political crisis over Brexit? Yes.
    Does that suggest Brexit is going well? No.
    Is the PM putting forward plans that meet the criteria agreed by the previous PM and the EU? No
    Do experts suggest that shit will hit the fan big time in event of No Deal? Yes.
    Do the answers to the above make the outcomes 100% certain? No, but nothing is, we have to base all our views on the available evidence.

Is the Sun going to rise tomorrow? Yes. "Well, that's just your opinion, man, because what if it explodes due to a thing it is impossible for humans to detect" is no way to respond.

We cannot all live in our own pocket reality, that is the exact sort of thing that leads to civil wars and revolutions.

Wars , civil wars and revolutions are (predominately) caused by one party seeking to enforce their views on others not willing to accede to those views. As is religious extremism.

Stable societies depend on the overwhelming agreement of individuals in that society to the tenets by which they live by.This is especially true for laws, definition of crimes and morality. Five hundred years ago it was commonly accepted that heresy deserved burning at the stake. We don't any more because the overwhelming majority don't believe it is acceptable.

As little as 50 years ago it was not socially acceptable to be homosexual, or even a single mother. It is now.

These are subjective views. They change, evolve and depend on common agreement and acquiescence. If you have no common agreement among the overwhelming majority of individuals, and one group imposes on another in extremeis you get Civil War.

The Sun rising is a facile example and you know it. It s commonly accepted it will and it is demonstrably true. People who don't think it will are entitled to their opinion. But when it does rise they are proved wrong. Every day. Until the day when it doesn't and they are proved right. And one day it won't rise. It's just a very (very) long time from now.

Nothing about Brexit is demonstrably true predominately due to the fact it hasn't happened so no one knows - save it is taking a lot of political time and argument.
    People can speculate, but that's all it is. Speculation. I wish it wasn't happening but it is. Shit happens.

It's evidently pointless discussing this with you as you cannot seem to separate objective facts with subjective views.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,234
    148grss said:

In regards to the header: the big thing is impeachment. Lots of people are talking about how this effects Trump and will Biden get slimed in the process, but the other thing to consider is how this eats into Biden's USP. If this becomes a body hit for Trump, with the Senate not removing him but his favourability slipping down to the mid to high 30s rather than the low to mid 40s, Biden is no longer the "only person" who can beat Trump. African American voters, noticeably more conservative in their primary choices because they understand more so than white liberals the need to try and placate white conservatives (as they are more a subject of their ire), may then feel more able to go with other candidates.

Many people also ignore that delegates are given out proportionally by state to any candidate that gets above 15% of the vote. In caucus states they do this by doing the first round, as it were, and then allowing those above 15% to convince all those who didn't get past the threshold to support their candidate instead, and in other states they do this by proportionally giving delegates above the threshold. So we could be in a position where Biden gets 40% of all delegates, but Sanders and Warren get 60% between them and one of them drops out and endorses the other (I think Sanders is more likely to drop out in favour of Warren as she is the more acceptable candidate to Democratic politicians) and they get 55-60% of delegates to Biden's 40-45%.

Couple of things... first, I think it a mistake to assume that African Americans are particularly liberal as a block (and also to assume they are a single voting block).
    Secondly, Saunders might well drop out before the primaries begin.

And is Biden really going to hang on to 40% + of the vote ?
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/2020_democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

As a Remainer myself, I do think BOTH sides need to dial back this language.

In my experience, the "average leave supporter" is a perfectly pleasant person who feels leaving the EU will make Britain more able to act independently via institutions which are more accountable to the public without appreciable negative economic impact.

I disagree with that position on the basis I believe we'll lose influence within Europe, and be more susceptible to global forces beyond our control. I also think we would be better seeking to reform domestic and EU institutions to make them more accountable (both need a lot of work) and that the economic consequences will be substantial. But it's an honest disagreement between decent people - the "average leave supporter" is very much like me but with a different view.

Finally, I anyway very much doubt that online comments by those motivated to make them are likely to be representative of the "average leave voter" or indeed "average remain voter".
    +1

DougSeal said:

moonshine said:

Quite. You need to watch the whole series of exchanges in context to get the message.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,234

DougSeal said:

moonshine said:

Out of context, that sounds quite deep...
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Reading between the lines of Varadkar and Coveney, plus the non wingnut EU responses, an NI referendum or somehow diluting the DUP veto and somehow guaranteeing no infrastructure around customs are the blocks. Fix them and we may be out on Halloween
    moonshine said:

DougSeal said:

moonshine said:

Quite. You need to watch the whole series of exchanges in context to get the message.
    What do I have to be smoking at the same time?
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

HYUFD said:

She was an old university friend of William Hague' s with Nicola Horlick in Chelsea and Fulham and Chuka Umunna in Cities of London and Westminster (both in the 20 local authorities with the highest Remain voted in the EU referendum and win by the LDs in the European Parliament elections) it seems the LDs are saving their star new candidates for central London, Remain central
    The Good Lady Wifi met her when Horlick was trying to set up a film fund.

We'll leave it there.
    Horlick's ability to manage the press is far in excess of her ability to make money for her clients.

She's a very nice lady (close friend of my uncle's) but not the "superwoman" she is made out to be.

Reading between the lines of Varadkar and Coveney, plus the non wingnut EU responses, an NI referendum or somehow diluting the DUP veto and somehow guaranteeing no infrastructure around customs are the blocks. Fix them and we may be out on Halloween

Yup. There was convivial language. Talk of “teasing out detail”. “Reassured by PMs remarks this morning”.

There’s a reason why J-Corbz looked so dejected on the front bench today, as Labour MPs one after another defied his whip removal threat to line up behind this.
This discussion has been closed.