Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters rate Johnson’s chances of taking the UK out of the EU

Comments

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Drutt said:

nico67 said:

Drutt said:

This is very disappointing and a clear error from Baroness Hale. I speak as a Conservative very prepared to defend the Supreme Court, and their decision last week.

https://twitter.com/tes/status/1180038967300939776

Yep, I agree.
    That's an awful look.

If (heavy lifting) the president of the Supreme Court has been gleefully quoting one of the pieces of evidence in Miller 2 to make a policy point and publicly revelling in headlines about crushing the PM, might we see an application for Lady Hale's recusal for apparent bias if Vince v Boris (the nob off case) comes before the SC?

The test is whether the fair-minded and informed observer, having considered the facts, would conclude there was a real possibility the court was biased.
    It depends whether this slide had her knowledge and whether she agreed to it, did the school stick it up before her appearance . I’m sure she’ll be happy to recuse herself if it becomes an issue . I admit it’s not a good look if she did this of her own volition.
    That's Lady Hale bottom left giving her speech in front of the slide. Original tweet has full pic.
    Okay . Regardless of her attempt at a bit of humour it’s not a good look .

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Floater said:
    Actually, it is 20 years of a Labour Government in the Capital City of Wales, which might have some bearing on the result.

You might have thought that "Welsh" Labour & even Owen Smith bore some responsibility for the result in Cardiff.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,761
    Scott_P said:
    I genuinely don't know is the following statement is true, but:

"Isn't he simply lying at this point?"

Opinions?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,190
    Eminent female judge gently mocks a piece of infantile sexism.

Utterly outrageous. Country going to the dogs, it really is!

But most importantly - whither our independent judiciary?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

This is very disappointing and a clear error from Baroness Hale. I speak as a Conservative very prepared to defend the Supreme Court, and their decision last week.

Yep, I agree.
    I think one would need to read the text of her speech to have a strong opinion either way.
    From the little detail provided in the TES tweets, it appears a storm in a teacup, which has triggered the easily triggered.

Some people are still made at her and the Court for finding in favour of justice.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    viewcode said:

Yes, but he always has been
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    "A Pence presidency would be a godsend to Pete Buttigieg."

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/10/02/pence-trump-president-2020-228903

Pence-Hailey vs Buttigieg-?

Stranger things have happened.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:
    There are 2 conditions

- not in existence before
    - AND not in accordance with an agreement

If there is agreement then it isn’t a breach of the law
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited October 2019
    Either my radar is way off or Johnson is going to be politically buried after the 19th.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,711
    edited October 2019

Hard to see where the offence is. Whatever else, Boris Johnson is good at turning out a memorable phrase. While it wasn't targeted at her, the "girly swot" tag has been widely applied to Lady Hale by commentators, Twitter etc as a matter of public record. She is making a serious point about something that she feels strongly about in the appropriate forum, which is that girls should be proud of being intellectual. "Girly swot" sums up the idea in just two words and in humourous way. Lady Hale approves of girly swots

Edit and crap. Didn't see the slide. Yeah that bit is humour falling flat.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited October 2019
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Opinions?
    Man sacked from two jobs for lying found out to be a liar shocker !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Opinions?
    He’s in big trouble now . He will be asked by the media about the court documents , if he goes back to his previous stance about refusing to ask for the delay he’s basically telling the court they can’t trust him . He also now will be attacked by Farage and co .
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,001
    Pulpstar said:

Either my radar is way off or Johnson is going to be politically buried after the 19th.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1180024133360476160?s=20
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    kinabalu said:

Chortle ....
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited October 2019
    If I were Tom Watson I'd resign as an MP.

What he did in wrongly outing those people is pretty awful in my view.

I say this out of no sense of party allegiance. I just think it was a terrible, misjudged, hurtful and politically motivated thing to do.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

Here's your counterargument:
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/09/would-extending-brexit-date-hurt-tories-i-don-t-buy-it
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    edited October 2019
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    There are 2 conditions

- not in existence before
    - AND not in accordance with an agreement

If there is agreement then it isn’t a breach of the law
    Edited...you're right!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

nico67 said:

Beginning to think the government are going to lose this new case on one of the issues .

O Neil’s is asking for an order of specific importance and this means it’s easier for the court to rule in their favour .

He wants to lose. Forced by parliament and the courts to request an extension..... fits perfectly with the narrative. Everything is now about the post extension election if the deal falls, if he wins a majority in that then his deal will be the only game in town that isn't no deal.
    You seem to be overlooking the issue that 'his deal' is not in fact a deal and does not look likely ever to become one.

How ironic (and sad) if we have: extension, Boris landslide, then May's deal implemented.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    FF43 said:

Hard to see where the offence is. Whatever else, Boris Johnson is good at turning out a memorable phrase. While it wasn't targeted at her, the "girly swot" tag has been widely applied to Lady Hale by commentators, Twitter etc as a matter of public record. She is making a serious point about something that she feels strongly about in the appropriate forum, which is that girls should be proud of being intellectual. "Girly swot" sums up the idea in just two words and in humourous way. Lady Hale approves of girly swots
    It's not a question of offence, it's a question of impartiality. It's very unwise for her to be saying anything at all publicly at the moment, let alone referring to both the evidence in and the result of a case that was very politically contentious.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Pulpstar said:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/09/would-extending-brexit-date-hurt-tories-i-don-t-buy-it
    Right now the Tories are polling 33% average. Let's see where they're at in a month's time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Sadiq looks good value at 1.75 on betfair. I can't see why Rory deserves to be so short tbh.

He's not that well known in London, he's associated with austerity, he's presumably going to campaign in favour of Brexit (or switch to Remain which isn't going to look sincere) and he's a Tory who many other Tories won't vote for.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

2 weeks for an election, maybe he gets away with it... not mroe though
  • Options
  • Options
    isam said:

I’d have thought it obvious that what makes me think that is that I think Muslims vote on religion over party politics.

It is certainly not obvious to me.

The view that Muslims here would vote en masse for a Tory Muslim candidate over a Labour non-Muslim candidate is one I find both interesting and surprising.

So have a bash at explaining.
  • Options

FF43 said:

It's not a question of offence, it's a question of impartiality. It's very unwise for her to be saying anything at all publicly at the moment, let alone referring to both the evidence in and the result of a case that was very politically contentious.
    Her slide was a headline in a paper , it wasn’t evidence . However I agree it was unwise .
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    I still don't get why Boris would sign the letter rather than resigning.

He signs that letter and he is finished, he must know that.

If the government resigns they can force Corbyn in to signing the letter and go in to an immediate GE on an excellent footing...rather then getting destroyed by TBP if they extend.

A monumental error if he signs the extension.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Pulpstar said:

I'm not so sure either way. I think Brexit has tipped normal politics on its head.

I get the sense - just through my daily work communications - that people are pissed off that Brexit is dragging on, and I think the blockers will feel the fall-out more badly in an election.
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377

FF43 said:

Agreed. The fact that Hale appears to be glorifying her role in crushing the PM is a gift to the argument that this is all about the establishment against Brexit and the people. It's a shocking error of judgement on her part and Cummings will exploit it.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

It showed poor judgement from Lady Hale and you have to wonder if her thought processes are so muddled with something as obviously inappropriate as this then is she really suitable for the position she holds.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

If the government resigns they can force Corbyn in to signing the letter and go in to an immediate GE on an excellent footing...rather then getting destroyed by TBP if they extend.

I did think that but today's Yougov suggests Leavers blame Parliament not Boris for the extension, Cummings will have polled this first and Yougov suggests he was right.

Boris did not vote for extension unlike May in March remember
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,109
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Opinions?
    The only question has always been "who is he lying to?" My guess is that he's basically been lying to everyone and even he has no idea at this point what he will actually do. My guess is he will ultimately do the easiest thing, which will be to extend and hope he can front it out.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He voted against leaving in March
  • Options
    nico67 said:

FF43 said:

Her slide was a headline in a paper , it wasn’t evidence . However I agree it was unwise .
    Yes, but "girly swot" was in the evidence.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

I still don't think Johnson can politically speaking sign the letter even if he's to be found in contempt outwith that signature.

He's repeatedly termed it "surrender". I think you have to resign the Gov't before "surrendering" (his words).

Have I missed my time slot for the you've been saying that Boris would lead the Conservatives victoriously into opposition rather than sign the letter post?
  • Options
    Johnson's problem is that he doesn't have a solution. If he had the makings of a viable deal, people would willingly give him extra time to sort it out. "I don't have a solution and am blaming everyone else for me not having that solution" doesn't cut ice.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

I did think that but today's Yougov suggests Leavers blame Parliament not Boris for the extension, Cummings will have polled this first and Yougov suggests he was right.

An extension will be used to leave Boris twisting in the wind...just as the next extension after that will be...before both Brexit and the Tory government is finished off.

It is monumental stupidity and if you were Labour you'd be praying for this outcome.
  • Options
    The Faragists scent blood...
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

nico67 said:

FF43 said:

Giving a talk in a school is NOT making a national political point.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

No, the monumental error was boxing himself in to the brain-dead 31st October pledge. What we are seeing now is simply the consequences of that error playing out.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    SunnyJim said:

HYUFD said:

An extension will be used to leave Boris twisting in the wind...just as the next extension will be...before both Brexit and the Tory government is finished off.

It is monumental stupidity and if you were Labour you'd be praying for this outcome.
    Boris has proposed his Deal which Parliament could still vote for and which mirrors the Brady amendment most MPs did vote for ie minus the backstop, Boris voted against extension beyond October 31st but most MPs did, as today's Yougov shows most Leavers blame the majority of MPs not Boris for any extension.

Johnson has been shoring up his base over the last month to protect him, it remains the case only a Tory or Brexit Party majority Government can deliver a No Deal Brexit
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Johnson's problem is that he doesn't have a solution. If he had the makings of a viable deal, people would willingly give him extra time to sort it out. "I don't have a solution and am blaming everyone else for me not having that solution" doesn't cut ice.

This is why the government should walk.

There is zero upside and existential level downside for the Tories if they extend.

Hand in the keys and let the opposition parties sign the extension and call a GE.

• Options
    FF43 said:

It is the makings of a viable deal..
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

No, the monumental error was boxing himself in to the brain-dead 31st October pledge. What we are seeing now is simply the consequences of that error playing out.
    Doesn't look as if the public will blame Johnson for the delay though, does it?
  • Options
    On the Lady Hale non-thing. The audience was state school girls. Let's not generalise here but let's say the reception and attention to such talks would be different to that received at Benenden, through no fault of the girls concerned.

Under such circumstances it is entirely sensible and thoughtful to sex up the presentation.

Well done her I hope many of the girls she speaks to follow her into law/academia.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
  • Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584
    Boris Inc must be confident they have a get out of jail free card.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

SunnyJim said:

Indeed. A lot of the comments about resigning/signing seem to be projection as much as meaningful analysis.

My view: I have no idea how either scenario would play out!
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

It showed poor judgement from Lady Hale and you have to wonder if her thought processes are so muddled with something as obviously inappropriate as this then is she really suitable for the position she holds.

Suggest we concern ourselves more with the 'thought processes' of the purveyor of the infantile sexism (rather than the gentle mocker of it) and ask ourselves if he is suitable for the position that he holds.

Which believe it or not is Prime Minister.

Mmm, I know.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I don’t understand this

Neither does Steve "Brexit hardman" Baker...
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    DougSeal said:
    It means they think they know how to get out on the 31st despite the Benn Act. Time will tell
  • Options
    DougSeal said:
    They think they can get a deal passed?

Does the deal even need EU approval to defeat the Benn Act? Or just HoC?
  • Options

nico67 said:

Beginning to think the government are going to lose this new case on one of the issues .

O Neil’s is asking for an order of specific importance and this means it’s easier for the court to rule in their favour .

He wants to lose. Forced by parliament and the courts to request an extension..... fits perfectly with the narrative. Everything is now about the post extension election if the deal falls, if he wins a majority in that then his deal will be the only game in town that isn't no deal.
    You seem to be overlooking the issue that 'his deal' is not in fact a deal and does not look likely ever to become one.

How ironic (and sad) if we have: extension, Boris landslide, then May's deal implemented.
    I’m not really like Winston Wolfe, btw...

• Options
    Anorak said:

nico67 said:

FF43 said:

I am afraid it is when you are President of the Supreme Court. Politicians make speeches in schools all the time. And she wasn't just addressing pupils, she was addressing the Association of State Girls’ Schools' conference.
  • Options

Doesn't look as if the public will blame Johnson for the delay though, does it?

Farage, Baker, etc haven't got going yet, have they?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    DougSeal said:
    Most likely Hungary will veto further extension hence Hungary's Foreign Secretary at Cabinet in Downing Street yesterday rendering the Benn Act irrelevant
  • Options

FF43 said:

It is the makings of a viable deal..
    I am certain Johnson doesn't have the makings of a viable deal, but if people think he does, they won't mind him extending.
  • Options

Anorak said:

nico67 said:

FF43 said:

I am afraid it is when you are President of the Supreme Court. Politicians make speeches in schools all the time. And she wasn't just addressing pupils, she was addressing the Association of State Girls’ Schools' conference.
    Fair enough.

I'd maintain the unhealthy focus on judges and their lives outside the courts is deeply, deeply problematic and corrosive our justice system.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

nico67 said:

FF43 said:

Fair enough.

I'd maintain the unhealthy focus on judges and their lives outside the courts is deeply, deeply problematic and corrosive our justice system.
    I agree completely. I'm not sure Baroness Hale does.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

SunnyJim said:

HYUFD said:

An extension will be used to leave Boris twisting in the wind...just as the next extension will be...before both Brexit and the Tory government is finished off.

Boris has proposed his Deal which Parliament could still vote for and which mirrors the Brady amendment most MPs did vote for ie minus the backstop, Boris voted against extension beyond October 31st but most MPs did, as today's Yougov shows most Leavers blame the majority of MPs not Boris for any extension.

Johnson has been shoring up his base over the last month to protect him, it remains the case only a Tory or Brexit Party majority Government can deliver a No Deal Brexit
    Ignoring the continued stupidity of referring to one side’s proposal as a deal, Parliament can now vote for it as much as it wants, but if it’s not agreed with the EU surely the Benn Act kicks in and he has to write a letter anyway? The yougov question seems to ask respondents to consider a hypothetical future scenario where MPs are the ones actively Voting to prevent an orderly exit; that’s unlikely to be the actual scenario.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:
    Likely Hungary will veto further extension hence Hungary's Foreign Secretary at Cabinet in Downing Street yesterday rendering the Benn Act irrelevant
    So 'taking back control', and all that talk of how we just needed to shout at Jonny Foreigner a bit louder and he'd cave in, reduces to our PM being dependent on the whim of Viktor Mihály Orbán.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    TGOHF2 said:

Boris Inc must be confident they have a get out of jail free card.

either that or they haven't a scoobie doo about what their plan is.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

nico67 said:

FF43 said:

Fair enough.

You're going to have to explain that last bit to me. You think she's seeking celebrity?
  • Options
    Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

SunnyJim said:

HYUFD said:

Ignoring the continued stupidity of referring to one side’s proposal as a deal, Parliament can now vote for it as much as it wants, but if it’s not agreed with the EU surely the Benn Act kicks in and he has to write a letter anyway? The yougov question seems to ask respondents to consider a hypothetical future scenario where MPs are the ones actively Voting to prevent an orderly exit; that’s unlikely to be the actual scenario.
    It already is the actual scenario thanks to the Benn Act
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SunnyJim said:

HYUFD said:

It’s not a deal. It’s an offer.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

nico67 said:

FF43 said:

Fair enough.

You're going to have to explain that last bit to me. You think she's seeking celebrity?
    Unfortunately it looks that way. Perhaps I am being unfair, though she is retiring in January.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:
    Likely Hungary will veto further extension hence Hungary's Foreign Secretary at Cabinet in Downing Street yesterday rendering the Benn Act irrelevant
    So 'taking back control', and all that talk of how we just needed to shout at Jonny Foreigner a bit louder and he'd cave in, reduces to our PM being dependent on the whim of Viktor Mihály Orbán.
    Diehard Remainers have been relying on Macron and Varadkar
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:
    Most likely Hungary will veto further extension hence Hungary's Foreign Secretary at Cabinet in Downing Street yesterday rendering the Benn Act irrelevant
    Surely Hungary would be crushed by the EU if they did so ?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:
    There are only two possibilities that are compatible with all statements: a deal is reached by 19 October; or an extension is requested and rejected.

There’s a third option that’s not strictly compatible with the government’s actual statement but would also work, which is that the Benn Act will be repealed or amended before the deadline. Don’t think they have the numbers somehow,
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:
    V sorry mate but you are slightly veering off in the credibility stakes. I have no doubt you were in the pub post-canvassing with, perhaps, IDS, who told you something a few months ago and since then have been pronouncing and announcing with your usual certainty. Thing is, as with the Boris leading the Cons into opposition, these predictions stem not from IDS or any other source, but from your own fevered imagination.

And as such, I believe they are becoming open to ridicule.

But of course we shall see whether Hungary does indeed veto the extension and whether and for how long you will be cheering a foreign power contradicting the wishes of our own parliament.
  • Options
    Macron may be the one to watch. His policies are changing, I wouldn't be surprised if his stance on Brexit also changed
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

SunnyJim said:

HYUFD said:

It already is the actual scenario thanks to the Benn Act
    The words ‘future’ and ‘orderly’ are both quite important.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:
    Really?
  • Options

Anorak said:

nico67 said:

FF43 said:

They do this all the time

I remember Elizabeth Butler-Sloss teaching my sex ed classes at school...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Butler-Sloss,_Baroness_Butler-Sloss
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:
    Presumably Hungarian politicians are as capable of acting willfully against their own country's interest just as Johnson et al do to our interest. Seems an unreliable assumption however ( maybe not for Johnson ).
  • Options
    Charles said:

Anorak said:

nico67 said:

FF43 said:

Sure, and a blander speech about the importance of women's education would presumably have been fine and not come to wider attention at all. But taking the piss out of the PM is a monumentally awful look. She may have to recuse herself from subsequent cases because of today. I find it incomprehensible she did this.
  • Options
    Anyhow, back to the streets of Newcastle-under-Lyme :smiley:
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

V sorry mate but you are slightly veering off in the credibility stakes. I have no doubt you were in the pub post-canvassing with, perhaps, IDS, who told you something a few months ago and since then have been pronouncing and announcing with your usual certainty. Thing is, as with the Boris leading the Cons into opposition, these predictions stem not from IDS or any other source, but from your own fevered imagination.

And as such, I believe they are becoming open to ridicule.

But of course we shall see whether Hungary does indeed veto the extension and whether and for how long you will be cheering a foreign power contradicting the wishes of our own parliament.
    Ouch.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Anorak said:

nico67 said:

FF43 said:

Is this like the Elizabeth Warren allegations?
  • Options
    Hungary isn't going to veto our extension !

They want us in far far more than most to provide a counterbalance to Macron and Merkel.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Charles said:

nico67 said:

Did I say you were?
  • Options
    Polruan said:

There’s a third option that’s not strictly compatible with the government’s actual statement but would also work, which is that the Benn Act will be repealed or amended before the deadline. Don’t think they have the numbers somehow,

& Pigs might fly.
  • Options
    The Hungary (Bungary ?) stuff is a feint..
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1180100859532861442?s=19

Ever feel like you're watching a movie with too many plot twists?
    By early next week a new legal text will go in giving NI a referendum rather than a stormont veto and tidying up the customs checks possibly ruling out physical infrastructure and it will form the basis of tunnel talks that conclude with a deal at council that is NI backstop in all but name and the commons will pass it. It will have some fluffy agrifoods stuff on it too
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:
    Two alleged wrongs don’t make a right and Varadkar is not a foreigner, as I pointed out yesterday -

Ireland Act 1949 - section 2 -

“2. Republic of Ireland not a foreign country.

(1)It is hereby declared that, notwithstanding that the Republic of Ireland is not part of His Majesty’s dominions, the Republic of Ireland is not a foreign country for the purposes of any law in force in any part of the United Kingdom or in any colony, protectorate or United Kingdom trust territory, whether by virtue of a rule of law or of an Act of Parliament or any other enactment or instrument whatsoever, whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act, and references in any Act of Parliament, other enactment or instrument whatsoever, whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act, to foreigners, aliens, foreign countries, and foreign or foreign-built ships or aircraft shall be construed accordingly.”
  • Options
    Somebody's getting a little over-excited.
    https://twitter.com/julietdunlop/status/1180005910065876992
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Fenster said:

If I were Tom Watson I'd resign as an MP.

What he did in wrongly outing those people is pretty awful in my view.

I say this out of no sense of party allegiance. I just think it was a terrible, misjudged, hurtful and politically motivated thing to do.

Watson is and alsways has been a t***. In the current Labour leadership he is not alone.
  • Options
    Re legal case, arent we overlooking that boris could still resign.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    humbugger said:

FF43 said:

Agreed. The fact that Hale appears to be glorifying her role in crushing the PM is a gift to the argument that this is all about the establishment against Brexit and the people. It's a shocking error of judgement on her part and Cummings will exploit it.
    Precisely.
  • Options

Charles said:

Anorak said:

nico67 said:

FF43 said:

Sure, and a blander speech about the importance of women's education would presumably have been fine and not come to wider attention at all. But taking the piss out of the PM is a monumentally awful look. She may have to recuse herself from subsequent cases because of today. I find it incomprehensible she did this.
    She retires in January. She doesn’t give a monkeys what anyone thinks.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hungary isn't going to veto our extension !

They want us in far far more than most to provide a counterbalance to Macron and Merkel.

It's a case of not crapping in each others' beds. If Hungary craps in Ireland's bed, Ireland will do the same back to them. The EU works on horse trading. The UK is now outside the system so everyone is free to crap as much as they want there.
  • Options

Charles said:

nico67 said:

Did I say you were?
    I thought you did last night? Might be someone else!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sliding into the truly absurd now. Engineering a chaotic 31/10 Brexit off the back of a HUNGARY veto?

C'mon people. Thinking caps.
  • Options

Re legal case, arent we overlooking that boris could still resign.

If push and shove arrive this is precisely what he should do. But it looks like he's simply going to sign the letter, probably enjoys the trappings of No 10 too much to let go.
This discussion has been closed.