Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Leave EU ad that’s causing a lot of controversy

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Two world wars and one World Trade Organisation.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Oh fuck. Strange bedfellows indeed.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Idiotic poster - if the Brexit Party and its backers really still want to go after Boris. They are making it so easy for their voters to quietly slink away to the Tories....

Yay!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,954
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

It is also inaccurate. The UK did not win two world wars. It was on the winning side twice.

The UK had help both times. (Also just reinforcing the fact that it was not England wot won it)

Good heavens - we clearly had little help from the republic of Ireland but yes we had many allies from former colonies. The ad is very unpleasant - it's a symptom of the polarised nation we are. However, your take is pretty pathetic.
    So the USA is still viewed as a former colony?
    Didn't Russia chip in at some point?
    Of course not. Biggles won it single handed and was back in time for lunch at his club!
    Well with that comment you’ve just destroyed any right you had to be offended by the Leave EU “advert”.

They’re certainly wrong to even consider putting out such a thing but you’ve just shown yourself to be as equally crass and historically ignorant.

You obviously think you’re being clever. So well done you.
    :D:D

You need a sarcasm detector
    I have to agree with him though.

You're grossly downplaying the role of 666 Squadron in general and Algy and Ginger in particular.
    You do know that in the movie, he had a black labrador with a VERY politically incorrect name?
    Biggles? As well as Guy Gibson VC?
    What movie are you talking about?
    Re Biggles, not sure, but re Wg Cdr Gibson, The Dambusters. Different war, different number of wings, engines, people, guns, etc.
    Biggles first appeared in print in 1932 and the majority of books are set in or after World War II.
    Ummm: technically, didn't he appear in magazines before the first book was published. (As in for the best part of a decade before, IIRC, the Cruise of the Condor was published.)
  • Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584

So having fought against a referendum to exercise direct democracy, and having encouraged MPs to overturn the decision reached by that exercise in direct democracy, he's now also opposed to representative democracy to hold those said MPs to account.
    Jezza and Labour will chicken out again - hilarious.
  • Options
    egg said:

Oh dear, is this where 'leave' have descended too.

It saddens me to say, but it looks as if a failure to agree next week is going to result in a very bitter and nasty period on all sides and there is no clear resolution in sight without a deal of some kind. TM had the deal and the HOC collectively failed to see the wider picture and pass it

We would have been out now

This isn't where Leave have descended to. This is where Aaron Banks always was and is why everyone respectful wanted nothing to do with him during the referendum campaign.

Vile image and I want nothing to do with it. Bad thing is the text minus the image was correct, but the image and the ludicrous and racist message on the image take away from it completely.
    Rotten Hagfish! That poster is all leave and every leaver! You are all just a big bag of jingoistic wind. You don’t have a plan.
    You really are quite deranged aren't you.
  • Options
    On the plus side, at least they didn't give her a toothbrush moustache.....
  • Options
    matthiasfromhamburgmatthiasfromhamburg Posts: 957
    edited October 2019
    Charles said:

It saddens me to say, but it looks as if a failure to agree next week is going to result in a very bitter and nasty period on all sides and there is no clear resolution in sight without a deal of some kind. TM had the deal and the HOC collectively failed to see the wider picture and pass it

No it’s where Leave.EU are (I hesitate with “descended”)

They do not represent leave
    Would it really be incorrect to say that Nigel & friends have been the spearhead of the movement, for decades?

Would it really be inaccurate to remark that they were and are the few who move the Overton window with their provocations, for the many to follow them?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Interesting point by Blair about the consequences of populism. In other countries it results in the election of transient leaders. Here it results in a permanent change to our trading relationships and economy. Quite so.
    Well, he should have given us a fucking referendum on the EU Constitution, as he PROMISED, and then the hot steam of populism would have been vented, and we wouldn't be here today.

Being lectured by this desperate, lying c*nt is really more than a decent person can take. He is significantly responsible for our predicament.
    Labour would be streets ahead in the polls if Blair was still in charge.
    Quite possibly. But I am still right. He is one of the main reasons we are here, in this bad place.
    Yup. Asymmetric devolution leaving the English at a disadvantage,(I get to vote on English health, education and transport, people in Bristol I can virtually wave at don’t get to vote on mine), and the utter utter idiocy of reneging on the Constitution/Lisbon vote. What a fool.

OT: The Leave.eu poster is idiotic too, and offensive. Germany is a deeply peaceful democratic place now. Great. Amen.

That said IF ( stress IF) Merkel said what she is alleged to have said about NI and forever being in the CU whatever, I’m wondering what German is for cockwomble.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803

So having fought against a referendum to exercise direct democracy, and having encouraged MPs to overturn the decision reached by that exercise in direct democracy, he's now also opposed to representative democracy to hold those said MPs to account.
    Yep. I've said it before if Blair could bomb the absolute living crap out of Sunderland and Swindon for daring to vote leave he would.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    edited October 2019
    "Just because I don't agree with someone on everything, doesn't mean I'm not gonna be friends with them"

Not seeing everything about someone through the prism of their worst trait and refusing to acknowledge they could be ok in other aspects of life?

What madness is this? Is she really even gay?

https://twitter.com/KayaJones/status/1181620904406728704?s=20
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    Interesting that the Leave.EU ad has been the catalyst for his change of mind. He's to be commended for being so open.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

For once we agree :+1:
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

GIN1138 said:

FPT

So as I return from our 24 day trans Atlantic cruise having enjoyed clear blue skies at all our ports, dined on the open deck as we slipped moorings in Manhattan and sailed away in the early evening experiencing NewYork in all it's splendour and then in contrast as we sailed to Newport, Boston, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, the most glorious 'fall colours', I see that Boris is confounding his critics and is causing those who want to remain a real nervous breakdown.

The 11 sea days we had rather reflected brexit with calm seas giving way to storm force and ever deepening lows, fierce thunder storms with lightning shooting down the side of the dining room windows and then, to cap it all, and so in tune with Brexit, we entered the deepest impenetrable fog as we entered the English channel with the constant ship's fog horn making it difficult to catch sleep

All in all 8,500 miles of fun and enjoyment on a ship with virtually 95% British passengers (unusual in itself) and no one talked of Brexit at all

And for those who like trivia the head chef informed us yesterday they prepare over 22,000 meals every day, year after year, with no exceptions, for the 4,000 plus passengers and crew

Pleased to be back and hope to contribute from time to time

Welcome back Big_G! I'm afraid nothing has improved much while you've been away, it's all just got sillier.
    Thanks Ben and what amazes me is how Boris is still leading the polls
    Not just leading but extending. :D
    Indeed
    LOL The 20th Century was Conservative Century because their conservativism was business friendly, and through that pro EU. It wouldn’t do the dirty on, the police, the queen, the Kurd allies, nor expel and repel its own moderate members, instead fiercely proud of being a broad church and a conservative family. The Boris Premiership is currently ripping up the roots of the trees in the Conservative forest. all thanks to the genius of Cummings crouched in a broom cupboard copying the strategy out of Mein Kampf like the amateur he is.

Yeah. This will end well If you can’t see what’s coming just trust what I’m saying 😁
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940
    isam said:

Charles said:

It's a mild version of the kind of thing that gets sent around on White van man type whats app groups about half a dozen times a day to be honest
    Salt of the Earth eh?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    I'm going to enjoy a hard Brexit. Listening to the idiots who voted for it complain. Starting with the farmers and fishermen.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192

ydoethur said:

FPT

So as I return from our 24 day trans Atlantic cruise having enjoyed clear blue skies at all our ports, dined on the open deck as we slipped moorings in Manhattan and sailed away in the early evening experiencing NewYork in all it's splendour and then in contrast as we sailed to Newport, Boston, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, the most glorious 'fall colours', I see that Boris is confounding his critics and is causing those who want to remain a real nervous breakdown.

The 11 sea days we had rather reflected brexit with calm seas giving way to storm force and ever deepening lows, fierce thunder storms with lightning shooting down the side of the dining room windows and then, to cap it all, and so in tune with Brexit, we entered the deepest impenetrable fog as we entered the English channel with the constant ship's fog horn making it difficult to catch sleep

All in all 8,500 miles of fun and enjoyment on a ship with virtually 95% British passengers (unusual in itself) and no one talked of Brexit at all

And for those who like trivia the head chef informed us yesterday they prepare over 22,000 meals every day, year after year, with no exceptions, for the 4,000 plus passengers and crew

Welcome back Big_G! I'm afraid nothing has improved much while you've been away, it's all just got sillier.
    An amazement which should dissipate on the mention of two words - Jeremy and Corbyn.

Welcome back, and good night.
    Thanks you
    Good to see you back on dry land Mr Big_G.
  • Options
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Henry_C said:

Charles said:

Xenophobia. Pure & simple

I wonder would they have done it if the final word had been "Jew"?

Nah. Labour has copyrighted that one
    The only person I've heard of who kept a dog with that name is Hugh Grosvenor, the 2nd Duke of Westminster, an anti-Semitic Tory.
    Who died 65+ years ago
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590

rcs1000 said:

Gabs2 said:

eristdoof said:

felix said:

felix said:

It is also inaccurate. The UK did not win two world wars. It was on the winning side twice.

The UK had help both times. (Also just reinforcing the fact that it was not England wot won it)

Good heavens - we clearly had little help from the republic of Ireland but yes we had many allies from former colonies. The ad is very unpleasant - it's a symptom of the polarised nation we are. However, your take is pretty pathetic.
    Unless I've forgotten all my history - yes.
    The United States of America was never a british colony!

Parts of the USA used to be British colonies.
    The USA was a union of former British colonies.
    Yes, but large parts of the US - a clear majority by area - were never parts of the British Empire.

Don't forget that the Louisiana Territory streched all the way up to Canada from the Gulf of Mexico - indeed, it was larger than the original 13 colonies.
    Florida was British, briefly. So was Washington State.
    Arguably all of the USA east of the Mississippi, such as Tennessee etc, as they were territories of the 13 original colonies.
  • Options
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    Someone who has seen the light and also someone with a moral compass in calling out that poster/advert.
  • Options
    egg said:

GIN1138 said:

FPT

Indeed
    LOL The 20th Century was Conservative Century because their conservativism was business friendly, and through that pro EU. It wouldn’t do the dirty on, the police, the queen, the Kurd allies, nor expel and repel its own moderate members, instead fiercely proud of being a broad church and a conservative family. The Boris Premiership is currently ripping up the roots of the trees in the Conservative forest. all thanks to the genius of Cummings crouched in a broom cupboard copying the strategy out of Mein Kampf like the amateur he is.

Yeah. This will end well If you can’t see what’s coming just trust what I’m saying 😁
    But every time an argument is made like that the response is Jeremy Corbyn

If Labour get a sensible leader they would walk into power
  • Options

Given she’s an East German ex communist surely a Stalin moustache would have been the thing ?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    So, assuming Boris's deal is dead in the water as appears to be the case, what happens next?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915

isam said:

Charles said:

It's a mild version of the kind of thing that gets sent around on White van man type whats app groups about half a dozen times a day to be honest
    Salt of the Earth eh?
    Who says so?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663
    edited October 2019

GIN1138 said:
    Someone who has seen the light and also someone with a moral compass in calling out that poster/advert.
    [edit on second thoughts] It;s actually Yalland - though there is also a Yelland of the same forename.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,096
    I like the ad. It's the authentic face of Brexit. Far preferable to all the snake oil salesmen like Dan Hannan wanking on about free trade and the inequities of qualified majority voting.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,272
    edited October 2019

ydoethur said:

FPT

An amazement which should dissipate on the mention of two words - Jeremy and Corbyn.

Welcome back, and good night.
    Thanks you
    Good to see you back on dry land Mr Big_G.
    Thanks and it is good to be home though the cruise was amazing and it was the ships first transatantic crossing Southampton to Southampton
  • Options
    Fenman said:

I'm going to enjoy a hard Brexit. Listening to the idiots who voted for it complain. Starting with the farmers and fishermen.

Just remind me, who voted for a hard Brexit?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    As I have said myself - even I would back an EFTA/EEA Brexit.

It would take some figuring out to bend the rules for a painless transition because at present we would have to leave the apply and renogitate. Far better to get it all sorted out in advance.

But that was not the way chosen....
  • Options

egg said:

This isn't where Leave have descended to. This is where Aaron Banks always was and is why everyone respectful wanted nothing to do with him during the referendum campaign.

Vile image and I want nothing to do with it. Bad thing is the text minus the image was correct, but the image and the ludicrous and racist message on the image take away from it completely.
    Rotten Hagfish! That poster is all leave and every leaver! You are all just a big bag of jingoistic wind. You don’t have a plan.
    Oh. So in your universe i’m The deranged one, not the No Dealers? 😃

Unlike you I can be friendly and fair in my posting, so I’ll say I know you not as a No Dealer. But when you voted leave what did you think would end up happening? Because if it’s a different leave than what you were hoping for, which one of us got it wrong?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Of course not. Biggles won it single handed and was back in time for lunch at his club!
    Well with that comment you’ve just destroyed any right you had to be offended by the Leave EU “advert”.

They’re certainly wrong to even consider putting out such a thing but you’ve just shown yourself to be as equally crass and historically ignorant.

You're grossly downplaying the role of 666 Squadron in general and Algy and Ginger in particular.
    You do know that in the movie, he had a black labrador with a VERY politically incorrect name?
    Re Biggles, not sure, but re Wg Cdr Gibson, The Dambusters. Different war, different number of wings, engines, people, guns, etc.
    Biggles first appeared in print in 1932 and the majority of books are set in or after World War II.
    Ummm: technically, didn't he appear in magazines before the first book was published. (As in for the best part of a decade before, IIRC, the Cruise of the Condor was published.)
    The very early Biggles Stories set in the First war are quite gritty, with combat fatigue etc covered. WE Johns became quite formulaic by the end, but was a good story teller.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    Fenman said:

Hoo yes. Bring it on. Turkeys.
  • Options

egg said:

"We don't want to fight but by jingo if we do,
    We've got the ships, we've got the men, and got the money too!"
    Starship Troopers?
  • Options
    A rift has opened up at the top of Boris Johnson’s government between advisers loyal to the prime minister’s controversial chief aide Dominic Cummings and other senior Johnson allies.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/downing-street-is-split-as-senior-boris-johnsons-allies
  • Options

Interesting that the Leave.EU ad has been the catalyst for his change of mind. He's to be commended for being so open.
    He had already been to court in 2017 to try and stop us leaving the Single Market and blaimed he would rather we Remained than Leave without a deal so whilst I agree with him about the poster it is hardly a Damascene conversion.
  • Options
    This is just fucking embarrassing. But is it not equally embarrassing that so many in this country take the other side of the argument so instinctively, are so willing to assume that the EU is right and that their own country is wrong? That there is something so immoral in wanting to have democratic control of those making our laws?

I can’t defend this embarrassing rubbish but maybe remainers should think about what they are willing to support too.
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:
    Since the Borisograph Telegraph appears to be Boris's version of Pravda, I presume that we are getting ready for some sort of announcement?
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:
    As Mandelson said months ago: Brexit will stop Brexit.

• Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    TGOHF2 said:
    Again, disingenuous. It means Boris Brexit deal. We have one deal available (May's), and many others are possible.
  • Options

egg said:

And we got fighting bears
  • Options
    DavidL said:

This is just fucking embarrassing. But is it not equally embarrassing that so many in this country take the other side of the argument so instinctively, are so willing to assume that the EU is right and that their own country is wrong? That there is something so immoral in wanting to have democratic control of those making our laws?

I can’t defend this embarrassing rubbish but maybe remainers should think about what they are willing to support too.

It is not the UK that is wrong - it is a political campaign trying to advance its cause by way of a racist & xenophobic meme.
  • Options

Fenman said:

Just remind me, who voted for a hard Brexit?
    The ballot paper didn’t say “remain” and “ not leave”. The one thing we indisputably voted for was to leave. Parliament, however, in opposition to the vote, has decided to put practical hurdles in the way of leaving in the hope we’ll get bored and give up.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    DavidL said:

No, it is not equally embarrassing that so many see Brexit for what it is and are willing to stand up for this countries' place in mainstream Europe.
  • Options
    The irònic thing about the Bad Boys of Brexit is that it would have been their 1940s equivalents who’d have run the puppet UK government the Nazis would have established if they’d won the war.
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

Given she’s an East German ex communist surely a Stalin moustache would have been the thing ?
    She was born and raised in Hamburg, daughter of a clergyman who was later deployed by the Evangelical Church to a posting in the then GDR.
    She spent roughly half her life there, without ever being remotely communist.
    The insinuated connection to Stalin is as non-existent as the connection to the Third Reich.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I think you would be hard pressed to find anything from the Remain side that is offensive in the way this clearly is.

I would add though that I have not seen any PB Leavers supporting this Leave.EU ad.
  • Options

Starship Troopers?
    Part of the Chorus from McDermott's War Song and the only bit I can remember.

I did read Heinlein's Starship Troopers. The movie version was a travesty of the novel. The novel was bad enough in its own way, but the movie..... :D

Hollywood can really mess up any book.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    edited October 2019
    egg said:

egg said:

Unlike you I can be friendly and fair in my posting, so I’ll say I know you not as a No Dealer. But when you voted leave what did you think would end up happening? Because if it’s a different leave than what you were hoping for, which one of us got it wrong?
    I voted for us to leave. The fact it won't be exactly the form of leave I would prefer is immaterial. Only young children and lunatics expect to get everything exactly as they want it and scream when they don't get it. Maybe we should add irreconcilable Remainers and the ERG to that list.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

The very early Biggles Stories set in the First war are quite gritty, with combat fatigue etc covered. WE Johns became quite formulaic by the end, but was a good story teller.
    Biggles of 266 was a great book which gave real insight into how random and brutal life was in the early years of what became the RAF. I haven’t read it in 40 years but it was vivid and compelling.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

I have almost all the Biggles stories, and I love the WW1 tales. As you say, they're remarkably gritty: his friends die; he comes close to a nervous breakdown.

I just introduced my son (aged 8) to the first Gimlet book, King of the Commandos, which I think is perfect fodder for a guns and war obsessed boy.
  • Options

The irònic thing about the Bad Boys of Brexit is that it would have been their 1940s equivalents who’d have run the puppet UK government the Nazis would have established if they’d won the war.

Certainly. After all they are Putin's little helpers already.
  • Options

DavidL said:

No, it is not equally embarrassing that so many see Brexit for what it is and are willing to stand up for this countries' place in mainstream Europe.
    :+1:
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

She was born and raised in Hamburg, daughter of a clergyman who was later deployed by the Evangelical Church to a posting in the then GDR.
    The insinuated connection to Stalin is as non-existent as the connection to the Third Reich.
    :+1:
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Biggles of 266 was a great book which gave real insight into how random and brutal life was in the early years of what became the RAF. I haven’t read it in 40 years but it was vivid and compelling.

There are about 40-odd World War One chapters spread across a dozen books, with some repitition. I highly recommend all of them, and read them again from time to time.

(Usually in an airport when my body says it's 3am, but I need to stay awake to board a plane, and I too zonked to read something I need to concentrate on.)
  • Options

Don't know who he is but did he sleep through the referendum? This is Leave.EU throughout. Vile.
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

Exactly.
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

And who said the Germans don’t amhave a sense of humour ?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,393
    egg said:

Are you Scrapheap? I wish people wouldn't keep changing their un.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    RIP Brexit 2016-2019. Funeral 31/10/19 at Westminster Crematorium. No flowers.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I looked at these sad and pathetic protesters outside the Court of Session today with their EU flags and St Andrew’s crosses with the EU stars superimposed and thought what pathetic and brainless prats they were.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,393

DavidL said:

Country's
  • Options
    Dadge said:

I think the death of Brexit has been greatly exagerated. ;)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2019

GIN1138 said:
    Every single leaver on this site has called out the poster/advert.
  • Options
    Can we please have an election so the people of the UK can choose a party to implement Brexit or have a referendum or whatever.

Having a government that is in office but not in power is a disaster for everyone.
  • Options

A rift has opened up at the top of Boris Johnson’s government between advisers loyal to the prime minister’s controversial chief aide Dominic Cummings and other senior Johnson allies.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/downing-street-is-split-as-senior-boris-johnsons-allies

No doubt Dom has wargamed it....
  • Options

egg said:

GIN1138 said:

FPT

So as I return from our 24 day trans Atlantic cruise having enjoyed clear blue skies at all our ports, dined on the open deck as we slipped moorings in Manhattan and sailed away in the early evening experiencing NewYork in all it's

Indeed

No deal brexit v Jeremy corbyn.

No deal, destruction of manufacturing industry, destruction of farming industry, doubling of debt and trashing of economy

Corbyn, all the investment borrowing the Tories are promising plus everyone gets vote on whether to proceed with a deal brexit or remain.

If anyone thinks the voters of this country will choose no deal over Corbyn they are, to borrow Richard Tyndall's phrase, deranged.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

So, assuming Boris's deal is dead in the water as appears to be the case, what happens next?

My guess is Boris will be happy to spend time in court, and force Parliament to either vonc him or nominate someone else to send the extension letter. Which of the two probably depends on whether there really is a loophole to be exploited in the Benn act.

…. and of course we're presuming the EU will accept an extension. Perhaps they will, but state it's the last one. Or they might be fed up of revisiting this constantly, and use the Benn act to force a 2 year extension.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Can we please have an election so the people of the UK can choose a party to implement Brexit or have a referendum or whatever.

Having a government that is in office but not in power is a disaster for everyone.

Another few weeks will not matter. Once we are past 31st October...
  • Options

GIN1138 said:
    And every single one benefited from the posters in winning 2016
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

"Bring 'em on! I'd prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around!"
  • Options
    Dadge said:

That's a keeper.....
  • Options

DavidL said:

Country's
    There are four countries in Britain! :smile:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Couldn't Boris provoke an election by resigning?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:
    I do not know if he is a Leaver or not, but "I like the ad. It's the authentic face of Brexit. ..."

http://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2527091/#Comment_2527091
  • Options
    isam said:

"Just because I don't agree with someone on everything, doesn't mean I'm not gonna be friends with them"

Not seeing everything about someone through the prism of their worst trait and refusing to acknowledge they could be ok in other aspects of life?

What madness is this? Is she really even gay?

https://twitter.com/KayaJones/status/1181620904406728704?s=20

George W Bush also made a very smart observation that I think we should remember on here with regards to Brexit:

"Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples - while judging ourselves by our best intentions."
  • Options

Starship Troopers?

I did read Heinlein's Starship Troopers. The movie version was a travesty of the novel. The novel was bad enough in its own way, but the movie..... :D

Starship Troopers is a brilliant movie, made from a very dull book. Paul Verhoeven was right to tear up the script, which was a wordy hymn to facism beloved by the American military, and to make an over the top satire of Facism with gratuitous nudity and gore. He is a top director.

https://youtu.be/U_sZdX3tFFU
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Couldn't Boris provoke an election by resigning?
    He could certainly affect a change in his pay packet and perks of government.
  • Options

Starship Troopers?

I think Paul Verhoeven was actually spoofing the quasi-Fascist tone of the novel :lol:
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,599
    Warren 3 points ahead of Biden in the latest national poll for the Democratic nomination, by Quinnipaic.

Taking the last 7 polling companies to conduct national polls for the nomination, 4 have Warren ahead and 3 Biden ahead. Biden's leads are substantive whereas Warren's are narrow. However, of the 3 companies which have "A" ratings with 538, all 3 have Warren ahead.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-primaries/democratic/national/
  • Options
    matthiasfromhamburgmatthiasfromhamburg Posts: 957
    edited October 2019
    DavidL said:

Maybe it is slightly questionable, to avoid saying immoral, to insist on keeping complete control over the small part of the laws pertaining customs and trade regulations within NI in London, if the people in NI would be quite consenting to share that part of their laws with their southern neighbours to protect their livelihoods.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

GIN1138 said:
    I do not know if he is a Leaver or not, but "I like the ad. It's the authentic face of Brexit. ..."

http://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2527091/#Comment_2527091
    I think was in the context of revealing (in their opinion) Brexit to be racist etc. I don't think they are liking it because they are a leaver...
  • Options
    Awb683Awb683 Posts: 80
    Looks pretty fair comment to me.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Starship Troopers?

Starship Troopers is a brilliant movie, made from a very dull book. Paul Verhoeven was right to tear up the script, which was a wordy hymn to facism beloved by the American military, and to make an over the top satire of Facism with gratuitous nudity and gore. He is a top director.
    An interesting perspective! I do agree about the nascent fasicsm of the novel.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Foxy said:

Starship Troopers?

Haven't we already discussed this?

People love Starship Troopers BECAUSE it is Fascist. Its supposed allegorical status means we are free to like the Fascism, despite the movie being clearly Fascist.

For a Fascist movie, it is very clever.
  • Options
    egg said:

egg said:

GIN1138 said:

FPT

So as I return from our 24 day trans Atlantic cruise having enjoyed clear blue skies at all our ports, dined on the open deck as we slipped moorings in Manhattan and sailed away in the early evening experiencing NewYork in all it's

Indeed

No deal brexit v Jeremy corbyn.

No deal, destruction of manufacturing industry, destruction of farming industry, doubling of debt and trashing of economy

Corbyn, all the investment borrowing the Tories are promising plus everyone gets vote on whether to proceed with a deal brexit or remain.

If anyone thinks the voters of this country will choose no deal over Corbyn they are, to borrow Richard Tyndall's phrase, deranged.
    The problem is that the election will be Boris wanting a deal and no deal if all else fails while Corbyn repulses so many and will be in a battle for remain vote with the Lib Dems
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cameron and Clegg's FTPA.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    On one side we've got that perfectly shitty leave.eu tweet

And on the other there are comments on this thread saying leavers are modern day Nazi puppets, Putin's little helpers, snake oil salesmen and idiots.

Settle down, everyone. If you've got nothing nice to say then, well, there's always Twitter.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Fenman said:

Hoo yes. Bring it on. Turkeys.
    No. It will ruin the country we love even more. No deal will put us further away from the answer and the return to the necessary commitment to each other and sharing our community. There is no good at all in a bad No Deal Brexit.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

And on the other there are comments on this thread saying leavers are modern day Nazi puppets, Putin's little helpers, snake oil salesmen and idiots.

Settle down, everyone. If you've got nothing nice to say then, well, there's always Twitter.

PB is my Twitter :)
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Aside from everything else that's bad about this ad, I think it makes an assumption that there will be outrage at the idea of Northern Ireland being "left to rot", whereas outside some loyalist enclaves of the West of Scotland I would have thought indifference would be the more likely response.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

He's not a Leaver - irony at work.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Foxy said:

Starship Troopers?

Haven't we already discussed this?

People love Starship Troopers BECAUSE it is Fascist. Its supposed allegorical status means we are free to like the Fascism, despite the movie being clearly Fascist.

For a Fascist movie, it is very clever.
    It is a SATIRE of Fascism!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:
    But all slathered with a liberal (sic) dollop of whataboutery.
  • Options

Drutt said:

PB is my Twitter :)
    :D:D:D:+1:
This discussion has been closed.